Team 7 (Boruto Uzumaki, Sarada Uchiha, Mitsuki) | Team 10 | Other Teams | Other Leaf Village Members | Other Villages' Shinobi | Neo Akatsuki | Otsutsuki Clan | Kara | Other Villains | Other Characters | Legacy Characters
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
A mysterious organization whose motives are largely unknown but carry sinister intent for the world at large.
The group is made up of "Inners" and "Outers", with each of the Inners being in charge of a region. Each Inner bear a facial tattoo of a Roman numeral and shroud themselves with black cloaks. Outers are people who assist Kara from the outside to complete missions ordered by the Inners.
The organisation has accumulated a great deal of wealth and, in keeping with the times, makes use of Scientific Ninja Tools to combat their foes.
- Big Bad: The group as a whole are the main antagonists in this series, conducting experiments that would make past-Orochimaru proud and working to fulfill a grand ambition for the world at large. They will stop at nothing to get what they want. Nothing.
- Standard Evil Organization Squad: Like the Akatsuki, they are a team of villains/terrorists with sinister motives.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: The Inners and Outers rarely, if at all, demonstrate any actual camaraderie towards one another. One of the Inners even murders another Inner for simply annoying him. Outers are considered expendable if they can't fulfill their mission.
- You Are Number 6: All the Inner members have a Roman Numeral tattooed on their face, even Kawaki, who hates the organization. What this means has yet to be revealed.
Debut: Boruto Chapter 15 (Manga)
The leader of Kara and an Inner. Not much is known about him personally. He seems to have an agenda with Kara, creating a "Key" with a "Vessel". He has the Roman Numeral "IV" tattooed on his face.
- Abusive Parents: The guy experimented on his adoptive son, right after "saving" Kawaki from his real father.
- Big Bad: Leader of the villain team.
- Black Eyes of Evil: The man has creepy large black pupils and looks even more sinister because of it.
- The Dreaded: Kawaki notes to himself that his power rivals Naruto's, though Naruto is supposedly stronger.
- Faux Affably Evil: Upon entering Naruto's house, he apologizes for entering with shoes on and claims he's trying to bring back his wayward son. He then attempts to kidnap Kawaki while abusing him physically and emotionally.
- Foil: To Orochimaru. Both are crazy scientists whose experiments are out of this world and brings suffering to others at large when abused. Both also have otherworldly powers that makes them a huge threat when confronted. Both have "sons" that they experimented on to give them more power. However, Orochimaru has made a switch to good and became an ally that can provide intel our heroes can't get on their own. In his own way, his actions were genuinely meant to help Mitsuki grow. His experiments favor organic technology. Jigen, on the other hand, could care less about Kawaki and only seeks to enhance himself. His own experiments favoring ninja tech.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: He can shrink himself and his weapons, making it hard for anyone other than Sasuke to keep track of his movements.
- Mad Scientist: His lair and minions give off a creepy atmosphere similar to Part 1 and early Part 2 Orochimaru; the man has knowledge of the human body and conducted unethical experiments on numerous victims.
- Reality Warper: The guy conjures a table, food and candles out of nowhere after Delta destroys his dinner in anger.
- Smug Snake: Nothing fazes the guy and he's so arrogant that things will go his way, he really doesn't mind when it seems that his plans are failing.
- Would Hurt a Child: Despite being the adoptive father of Kawaki, this didn't stop him from transforming the boy into a weapon.
Debut: Boruto Chapter 15 (Manga), Boruto Episode 53 (Anime)
A prominent Inner Kara member. Seems to be Jigen's right arm with a specialty for Fire attacks and Toad Summonings. His Roman Numeral tattoo is unknown at the moment.
- Alliterative Name: Koji Kashin.
- Compelling Voice: With Ao's help, he was able to get Katasuke under his control via Genjutsu and pass along secrets of the Scientific Ninja tool to their organization.
- Energy Ball: He knows how to do the Rasengan, along with his ability to summon toads and affinity for the fire style implies a connection with Jiraiya.
- Foil: To Jiraiya. Both are powerful ninja that can defeat Jonin level opponents with ease and both Toad Summonings, Fire Style techniques and the Rasengan to combat their foes. However, where as Jiraiya is a good man, Koji is a sinister, scheming asshole.
- Malevolent Masked Man: A scheming masked villain who even murders his allies to advance his goals.
- Manipulative Bastard: One of Koji's terrifying skills is to convince people to do what he wants, somehow turning Ao to their side and even convincing the hot-headed Delta to quell her blood lust.
- No Body Left Behind: Koji's "Zanmai no Shinka" (Samahdi Truth Flames) technique is so powerful that the victim is burnt to ash in seconds. The only way to counter it is to absorb it with a high level technique. Boruto manages to save Konohamaru this way with his Karma.Koji: Zanmai no Shinka. Regardless of strong winds or heavy rain...the flames of purgatory will never be extinguished.
- No-Sell: The man easily defeats Konohamaru, a man who's at Jonin level, is the grandson of the Third Hokage and has been trained personally by the Seventh Hokage. He even says that Konohamaru "has a long ways to go".
- Playing with Fire: He kills the old man of the organization with a very powerful fire attack that leaves only a remain of charred skin. The fire is so strong that any regenerative ability the victim may have can't keep up.
- Summon Magic: One of his specialties is to summon toads.
- White Hair, Black Heart: An evil son of a bitch who is sporting silver hair, despite looking like he's in his thirties/forties.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The man is rocking silver hair and beard.
- You Have Failed Me: Kills Ao for failing to kill Boruto and his team.
Debut: Boruto Chapter 15 (Manga)
Another prominent Inner member of Kara and the only female shown so far. Powerful, with a nasty temper to match, Delta is shown to be very focused when it comes to missions, taking out her anger on anything, or anyone, when it's not fulfilled fast enough. She is also shown to be extremely arrogant, stating that she can tear apart the Seventh Hokage easily. Has the Roman Numeral "I" tattooed on her forehead.
- Blood Knight: Very eager to jump in and murder others to get what she wants. It doesn't matter who the opponent is either, since she is fighting Naruto without any hint of fear.
- Body Horror: Like Kawaki, Delta is able to shape shift body parts into into stabbing weapons. She takes it a step further and transforms her legs into practical rockets, similar to Pain's Asura Path, allowing her to fly.
- Combat Pragmatist: Delta coldly goes after Himawari and attacks her, knowing that Naruto will attempt to save her and let his guard down so she can land a hit. Subverted towards the end of the fight with Naruto, as she lets her emotions of anger overwhelm her judgment, leading to her defeat.
- Cyborg: Delta's entire body is a Scientific Ninja Tool, which allows her to match Naruto in combat, even when he's in Nine-Tailed Sage Mode.
- She can shape shift her body parts at will, allowing her stabbing weapons or rockets to fly.
- She has a drone like object that can detect and seek out her targets, without it being noticed by her enemies. "Invisible" attacks are also useless since it can detect that too. This is tied to her eyes and if the eyes are overwhelmed, her field of vision with the drone becomes cut off.
- She can absorb and shoot out any enemy jutsu with her eyes, making long distance fighting against her pointless. She follows this up with a deadly Eye Beam attack. Too much absorbed energy can break it, though.
- She has super strength as a result of being a cyborg, making the prospect of going toe to toe with her a bleak option.
- Energy Absorption: Delta's eyes can absorb jutsu, even one as powerful as Naruto's Rasengan. It doesn't matter how big or dangerous the jutsu is, either. It has a limit, however, as not even Delta can predict that once her absorption breaks this limit, her eyes start to malfunction.
- Energy Ball: Delta's eyes can also redirect and shoot out absorbed jutsu right back at her enemy, as a surprised Naruto found out with his Rasengan. There is no time limit to how long she can store her enemy's techniques, making her further unpredictable. She has to release this energy to make room for more, however, as too much energy shorts her eyes out, much to her surprise.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Delta is confused when Kawaki goes out of his way to defend Naruto and Himawari from her, injuring himself in the process for total strangers. This makes her angrier, since Kawaki is the "vessel" whose unique body exists for the sake of Kara and Jigen. Voicing this sentiment out loud pisses both Naruto and Boruto off.
- Evil Only Has to Win Once: If Delta lands her Eye Beam attack on you, she's pretty much won the fight, as there is no hope of recovery from it. She lampshades this in her fight with Naruto, which he admits is true and does everything in his power not to get hit by the technique. When Naruto stops holding back, however, he stops dodging and negates her death beam attack with a Giant Rasengan.
- Eye Beam: Perhaps the scariest thing about Delta is this trope. Kawaki explains that the destructive power of the technique isn't what's most deadly, but the fact that getting hit by it prevents regeneration, which means that someone as powerful as Naruto would be in danger of dying if hit...
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Delta is a beautiful woman with luscious blonde hair and yellow lipstick but her personality is rotten to the core.
- Going to Give It More Energy: What Naruto ends up doing to Delta; both Delta and Kawaki voice out loud that Delta can absorb any jutsu, no matter how big and dangerous. However, Boruto and Naruto both counter that there must be a limit to how much energy she can absorb since energy doesn't simply vanish; rather, the energy is being stored. Sure enough, Naruto unleashes one Rasengan after another, with Delta desperately trying to keep up the absorption process until her eyes simply malfunctions. Naruto then finishes the fight with a Super Super Giant Rasengan, with Delta unable to protect herself anymore.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Delta is very easy to anger. Pray that you're not near her when she starts lashing out.
- Healing Factor: Delta's body modifications allows her to heal from nearly all attacks, as taking out her arms or legs does little to slow her down since she can conjure up new ones, even those blown away by Naruto's Lava Rasenshuriken. Attacking her middle does little either, since her eyes will just absorb and redirect the energy as an attack.
- Jerkass: She's even more unpleasant to deal with than Kawaki, who's already a rude person with trust issues. In fact, she scares him so much, the boy is unnaturally submissive in her presence. She even tries to kill Himawari in an attempt to land a blow on Naruto.
- Jet Pack: Delta can shape shift her legs into this, which allows flying to a degree.
- Kick Chick: Delta's primary form of fighting is this; combined with her cyborg body, Delta becomes even more tricky and dangerous to deal with, as blocking her attacks can still lead to harm, as someone as durable as Naruto ended up with a hole in his gut.
- Kill 'Em All: After her Outer minion, Garo, is killed by Kawaki, Delta wanted to retrieve him, while also killing all of Team 7; she treats this as an afterthought. She's only stopped by Koji. She later voices this desire against the Uzumaki family when they get in her way of retrieving Kawaki.
- Knight of Cerebus: Delta's intrusion on our heroes is this, as any joy or relaxation flies out the window and the drama is turned up suddenly.
- Logical Weakness: There's a limit to how much energy her eyes can absorb, since she's really storing that energy instead of making it vanish, so when Naruto forces her to keep absorbing his Rasengan, Delta's eyes can't take it any more and they short out.
- Sadist: Delta takes sadistic pleasure at the thought of hurting Naruto by trying to kill Himawari, smiling as she does so.
- Smarter Than You Look: Delta catches on quickly during her brief bout with Naruto that he was intentionally letting himself be attacked to let Delta's guard down and spill more information about the organization, Kara. Naruto expresses disappointment and Delta becomes angrier that she's being "underestimated".Delta: Well, well... Seems like I misunderstood you... Sorry for saying that I'd kill you. I'll retract that... I'm going to tear you apart alive. Limb-by-limb. As a thank you for trying to make a fool out of me...
- This becomes subverted over time, since making Delta angry turns her into a chatterbox, screaming out loud Kara's secrets and unwittingly revealing the existence of Jigen to Naruto during their bout.
- Smug Super: To say that Delta is "arrogant" is putting it very lightly. Her abilities allows her to stand up to someone as powerful as Naruto, and she states matter-of-factly that she will kill him if he continues to stand in her way of retrieving Kawaki.Delta: I know about you, Uzumaki Naruto... You're the leader who manages the Shinobi of Konoha...The "Hokage", right? It's such an honor that I could meet you but...Would you mind stepping aside for me? You're in my way. My business is with the kid behind you.Naruto: Well, that's too bad... Kawaki is our important guest. I won't approve of a suspicious stranger coming into contact with him.Delta: Is that so... You're making me angry... I'll kill you.
- When she lands a critical hit on Naruto, bringing him to his knees:Delta: (Posing arrogantly) Oh? Down on your knees already? That's a bit of a letdown.
- After Naruto tells her off for threatening his children and will make her pay for it, Delta knees Naruto to the ground and proceeds to step on his stomach wound, stating:Delta: What's that about "making me pay for it", again...?
- When she lands a critical hit on Naruto, bringing him to his knees:
- Super Mode: Like Naruto, Delta can shroud herself in a Chakra-like cloak. This gives her a boost in strength and speed and makes her able to keep up with Naruto's own Sage Mode.
- Super Strength: A simple kick from her is enough to overturn a heavy table and completely destroy it when Jigen annoys her enough. She does this without visible effort while sitting. Later she destroys the bark of a tree with her bare fingers as a way of releasing her stress and anger. During her fight with Naruto, it allows her to go toe to toe with the Hokage, despite him using the power of Sage Mode and Kurama.
- Surrounded by Idiots: She's annoyed when Garo blabs Kara secrets in front of Konoha ninja. Making her a hypocrite since she starts blabbing secrets about Kara to Naruto near the end of her fight with him.
- This Cannot Be!: Delta oozes this trope when Naruto manages to bypass her eye absorption defense and is about to get hit by his Super Super Giant Rasengan.
- Villainous Breakdown: As the fight between her and Naruto wears on, Delta starts to become more tired and irritable as the skill gap between her and the Seventh Hokage are starting to show. When she tries to attack Naruto by targeting Himawari, only for both to be saved by Kawaki of all people, she starts screaming in rage.Delta:...Every last one of you...are shitheads!!...How much do you need to piss me off until you are satisfied?!
- Comes to a climax when Delta is overwhelmed by an enraged Naruto in taijutsu, her eye's absorbing function is negated and she's slammed into the ground by Naruto's Super Super Giant Rasengan. As all this happens, Delta devolves into an angry, psychotic, yelling mess.
- Wingding Eyes: Delta's eyes are very exotic, with vertical lines running along the irides. This turns out to be a Shinobi Scientific Ninja Tool that allows her take in and shoot out enemy jutsu. Her Eye Beam attack is the highlight of the tool. Turns out that it's not invincible, as overloading her eyes with energy can short it out.
- Would Hurt a Child: Her quote underneath her photo says all you need to know about how she feels towards kids. She even threatens to tear apart Boruto and Himawari, while Naruto is right in front of her.Delta: (To Boruto as he rushes to help his father and Naruto tells him to back down) There's no need for you to hold back, kid. If you want me to, I'll gladly send you both to the afterlife together.
- She follows this up by attacking Boruto after he unwittingly attacks Delta and she absorbs his Vanishing Rasengan. After punching Boruto away, she then grabs poor Himawari and tosses her into the air, shooting out her Eye Beam attack, knowing that Naruto will do everything in his power to save his daughter, even blocking with his own body...which she was counting on.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: The most dangerous part about Delta lies in her ability to kill cells and prevent any regeneration in the form of a laser beam shot from her eyes. Even Naruto could die if he gets hit from it. The trade-off is that using such a technique takes an immense amount of chakra and multiple uses of it ends up tiring Delta out quickly.
- You Monster!: Kawaki describes all the Inner members of Kara as this, with Delta standing out among them for her sadism.
Voiced by: Unknown (JP), Chris Niosi (EN)
Debut: Boruto Chapter 1 (Manga), Boruto Episode 1 (Anime)
A mysterious ninja who will be an enemy of Boruto's at some point in the future. Based on Boruto's words to Kawaki, it's implied that they used to be friends or at least allies. During the flashback, its revealed that Kawaki was "rescued" from Kara's clutches and was brought to Konoha to live with the Uzumaki family, thus explaining Boruto's familiarity with the guy.
Has the Roman Numeral "IX" tattooed on his face.
- Abusive Parents: His father was an abusive drunk who beat and eventually sold him to Jigen. Jigen is no better either, experimenting on Kawaki and transforming him into the man he is now.
- An Arm and a Leg: Kawaki sacrifices his right arm, blocking Delta's attack, when she tries hitting Naruto by targeting Himawari. As seen through the Flash Forward, he regenerates and has the use of his arm again, when he fights against Boruto.
- Ax-Crazy: He is has a nack for fighting as he is shown to be particularly ruthless when in combat with his violent attacks. Plus he can have a bit of a temper which only proves this even further.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Though Kawaki claims he only saved Naruto from Delta's attack since the Seventh Hokage is their best chance of surviving against her, Kawaki also went out of his way to save Himawari too, since both father and daughter treated Kawaki with kindness and respect, even when he was a jerk.
- Big Damn Heroes: Kawaki gets in the way of Delta's Eye Beam attack to save Naruto and Himawari, earning Boruto's respect at long last.
- Body Horror: Kawaki is able to shape shift his right arm into stabbing weapons (such as a sword or a spear) or launch them from himself as projectiles (throwing knives). His arm goes back to normal every time. Still doesn't make it any less creepy.
- Cyborg: According to Katasuke. Kawaki is a scientific weapon more than a human.
- Evil Sounds Deep: The anime gives him a rather deep voice.
- Energy Absorption: Like Boruto, he has the cursed seal Karma which allows him to do this.
- He seems to the new Sasuke. Like Sasuke, he is very stoic and dislikes Naruto at first and he was used/manipulated by an older man seeking to profit off his growth and power. They also have similar personalities at least in their youth by being distrustful of others and aggressive. I think its also safe to say that both are antagonistic towards members of the Uzumaki Clan like Naruto and Boruto respectively. Each seems to be a "counter character" to their Uzumaki Rival and will have/had life and death battles with them.
- To Mitsuki. Both of them have been optimized by biological experimentation; Mitsuki was constructed from scratch to be genetically perfect, where Kawaki was enhanced by cyberkinetics. What they also share in common is a degree of frankness. Mitsuki is very blunt but not (meant to be) unkindly so, where Kawaki is blunt because he has little regard for politeness as well as to provoke a reaction at times. One area that Kawaki is less frank though, is his feelings. Mitsuki has no quibble about saying what he thinks and feels, even if it could be deemed controversial, but thats just because thats who he is and hes still learning the unwritten rules of social interaction. Kawaki on the other hand is more inclined to keep his feelings to himself because hes not comfortable with voicing them, especially the very personal ones. Theyre both intelligent, but Kawaki is more emotionally driven than Mitsuki. Their demeanor are at odds too; Mitsuki is a very calm and quite amiable person, where Kawaki is abrasive and aloof.
- Freudian Excuse: After being experimented on nearly all his childhood and abused by his parental figures (both real and adoptive), is it any wonder why Kawaki is so angry at the world and shuns the aid of others?
- From Nobody to Nightmare: He started out as a regular child abused by his ordinary drunk father. The prologue indicates that he will eventually become a massive threat to the ninja world even Naruto — the freakin' Hokage — can't defeat. Boruto will have a hard time defeating him.
- Hates Being Touched: One of Kawaki's biggest pet peeves is this. He will react violently.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Kawaki has a very nasty temper even if you're being nice to him. His anger is also a key factor when he fights as he uses all of his wrath to inflict on the enemy in a brutal fashion. Also outside the battlefield he is very unpleasant to be around as one trigger could set him off at a moment's notice.
- Hero Killer: His very first words imply this.Kawaki: I'll be sending you to meet the Seventh...Boruto.
- Jerkass: This guy is an asshole to everyone. Everyone. Even if the person in question is talking to him politely and trying to offer him a better life (food, home, companionship), Kawaki will just insult the person and insist that they have an sinister ulterior motive. His lowest point so far is actually trying to escape Naruto's home by flipping over a heavy table towards the man, unintentionally breaking a vase that Himawari got for Hinata's birthday. It took Naruto actually getting angry and going into Sage Nine Tailed Mode to finally get him to behave.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Although, when pushed enough to actually see that his behavior is bad, he will apologize for his actions...sort of.
- Meaningful Name: "Kawaki" (渇き or 乾き) means "dry" or "parched".
- Monster Roommate: Despite Naruto being told that Kawaki is a tad mentally unstable and has abilities that no one knows about yet, Kawaki is taken in to live with the Uzumaki family by the Hokage himself. What consequences this will have on the happy home is unknown...
- My God, What Have I Done?: Downplayed due to Kawaki's nasty attitude but when Boruto confronts him about accidentally breaking Himawari's vase which was a gift to her mother, and seeing Himawari's sad expression, Kawaki actually apologizes.
- Multicolored Hair: Two tones of hair for him: black and blond.
- Nanomachines: Kawaki's body has been modified with nano-machines, giving him incredible powers
- Power Glows: When Karma activates, the tattoos on his left arm will glow red while they grow across his body while Boruto's, in contrast, glow blue.
- Power-Strain Blackout: When he uses to much of his power, the nano-machines that power his body overheat and render him unconscious.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: Gives one to Boruto when the ninja voices aloud their current situation:Kawaki: The Age of the Ninja is Over.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: His body can spontaneously mutate to form spikes, Combat Tentacles and blades for attack and defense.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Almost every other word out of Kawaki's mouth is a swear. Usually means it as an insult. Even his introduction to Boruto is one:Kawaki: ...I'm Kawaki...you shithead.
- Simple Staff: Hard to see since we see the characters from a distance in the opening pages, but it looks like Kawaki's preferred weapon of choice is a long black staff.
- Single Tear: During his talk with Kurama, when the later tells him about Naruto's past, how much in common they have and how Naruto manage overcome his loneliness.
- Sphere of Destruction: One of his abilities is one of these, incinerating everything in range of his body in a sphere of energy.
- The Stoic: Mostly seen calm and collected and rarely smiles.
- When He Smiles: Very, very, very subtle but Kawaki sports a small one when Naruto defeats Delta, returning this smile when Naruto gives him a big victorious one.