Created by George "Joji" Miller, Filthy Frank (also called The Filthy Frank Show) is a series of comedic videos/"vlogs" depicting the life and surreal adventures of a man by the name of Filthy Frank, summarized in the description of his main YouTube channel as "everything a person should not be".
Frank has virtually nothing in the way of social inhibition, being the type of person to find pleasure in stabbing baby animals and find the sight of a dead cat to be sexually arousing. He possesses a self-dubbed "Ph.D in Internet retardation", which grants him the authority to examine and satirize any prominent stereotype and trend of the times. Subsequently, he's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to memes, and has done a great deal to support the Fountain of Memes that the series produced.
While the show was generally built video by video, with Frank ranting on a certain topic, it also branched out into a wider lore that grew increasingly detailed as the show went on. In said lore, the show takes place in the Frank-Verse, composed of a variety of different realms traveled through frequently by a multitude of characters, the vast majority of which are played by Miller. The main hub realm is the Nairobi Desert, where Frank has an apartment that he makes his videos in. While Frank and co. go on many a misadventure, the ever-looming threat of an entity known as the Dark Lord Chin Chin always stalks the Frank-Verse, bringing destruction and terror everywhere it goes.
The show is truly surreal, frequently indulging in Stylistic Suck and Random Events Plots. It's also rife with every form of vulgar and crass comedy you could think of, considering Frank sees himself as an Equal-Opportunity Offender (what with his whole mindset that everyone is fair game for mockery). As a result, the show falls through the floorboards of "offensive" as well as several more floors beneath that.
However, as much of a draw as the show's over-the-top nature was, it would be remiss not to mention how, despite the genuine following he gained on the Internet, the character of Frank was conceived by Miller as the exact inverse of a role model and, by extension, a parody of social media's effects on modern culture. As the show's main channel description claims, Frank's exaggerated prejudice and depravity display the absurdity of both traits in normal people, and the degree of his success with his excessive personality highlights the ease with which outrageous and off-color content can gain traction online. Granted, said description also ends with the sentence "OR MAYBE IM JUST FUCKING RETARDED.", so perhaps take this argument with a grain of salt.
After seven years of being active, the show went strangely quiet after the release of the Francis of the Filth book, which addressed the show's lore in its entirety. Three months after the book's release, Miller finally broke the silence to officially announce that he was done with both the Filthy Frank show and comedy as a whole, citing his loss of interest in the show (specifically that he no longer enjoyed making the videos) and the severe effects that the show had on his health (including throat tissue damage, presumably from years of doing the Frank voice).
As abhorrent as the show's premise sounds, it carved out an impressively large niche on the Internet, and has one of the most dedicated followings a YouTube series has seen (for better and for worse), even in the years following its ending. Because of the nature of this show, it's a given to say it is INCREDIBLY NSFW.
There has also been a fan-made reboot started as of 2019, which has received mixed but mostly positive reception. With the new creator being able to replicate Frank's humor and even the classic vocal-cord damaging voice rather well, but critics of it saying that it doesn't have the same feel as the original.
Frank was also part of a group called "The Shrimpson Boys" or "The Cancer Crew", that engaged in wild, vulgar, extremely homoerotic, and often dangerous antics that even the Jackass guys would shake their heads at on each others' channels. The other members of the group were HowToBasic, Maxmoefoe, iDubbbzTV, and Dolan Dark. Another person they worked with frequently is Anything4Views.
The Filthy Frank character sheet can be found here, with the creator of the show having several different hubs:
- The former Filthy Frank main channel
- The Filthy Frank side channel
- George's now "serious music" channel, the second music channel
- Frank's Twitter
- George's Twitter
- Prometheus' Twitter
- Red Dick's Twitter
- Frank's Facebook
- George's Facebook
- Frank's Instagram
- George's Instagram
- Frank's merchandise
Through this show, Miller also started the Harlem Shake craze.
Welcome to the trope fields, muthafucka!
- Achilles' Heel: Weeaboo Jones' is "reality checks".
- Actually Pretty Funny: When Mr. Magic Man says "I wish I was Stevie Wonder so I'd never have to see you again!", Frank calls it "pretty clever".
- After the End: Possibly, considering the first realm we see in the 2014 Christmas Special is "formerly known as Earth".
- All There in the Manual: Wanna know the timeline of the Filthy Frank lore? Want to know how these characters met? Pick up the Francis of the Filth book, which suspiciously looks a lot like The Bible.
- Arc Words: "Chromosomes" shows up a lot, meaning everything except the actual definition.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: According to Frank's research, Adam Sandler lives on two planes of existence (physical, metaphysical) and has ascended to such a metaphysical state of being that he knows everything in the physical plane is temporary and pointless. He then treats the physical plane as his own playground.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Parodied ridiculously in "HITLER'S EVIL SON", where Hitler's son spouts vaguely German gibberish while the subtitles translate something different entirely.Hitler's Son: Schnitzel, wiener, wiener, Mein Kampf, Hitler. Jews.
Subtitles: My father Adolf will bring salvation to this world.
- Ass Shove: When Salamander Man is bad, he gets punished by...getting sparklers up the butt.
- Author Appeal: Frank's creator really likes rap and hip hop. As such, any sort of musical interlude such as the outro or Pink Guy's songs are often in the style of those genres.
- A fan even gathered most, if not all the "songs" Frank created for the show, and put them into a faux album of sorts. They can be found here, for now.
- Author Avatar / As Himself: Joji is essentially the series' creator George implementing himself and his persona into a character.
- Bait-and-Switch: In "100 ACCURATE LIFE HACKS", his tips on making a personal sex doll is taking an orange, cutting a dick-shaped hole in it...and then putting it away, putting roofies in a drink, and feeding it to a girl on the street.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Done at the end of "LOSER READS INTERNET COMMENTS":Frank: So, I guess what I'm trying to say is... you guys are the absolute fucking worst. But that's why I love you!
"We can tell that Michael Jackson used to be a koku-jin, but now he's a... That's right! Dead!"
- Frank explains the usage of the words "koku-jin" (black man), and "haku-jin" (white man) in "RACIST WORDS IN JAPANESE."
- Berserk Button: "Berserk" is a bit of a strong word, but mentioning anything FF-related on George's personal accounts will irk him. He's blocked a number of people as a result of this.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Frank has mentioned how he rapes baby deer.
- He also got an erection from seeing a cat get killed on the street.
- Big Applesauce: Many videos are set in New York City, presumably where George goes to college.
- Big Bad: The Dark Lord Chin-Chin is the main villain of the series, although there have been times where he has shifted towards being a Greater-Scope Villain.
- Big Damn Heroes: Frank in this video.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: "Dick Pays Rent".
- Big "NO!": Pink Guy at the end of the "KILL YOURSELF" music video.
- Salamander Man (of all people) when Pink Guy spills his Cheez-Its.
- Big Stupid Doo Doo Head: After Chin Chin brings up Dade's death in "CHIN CHIN SACRIFICES 2015", Frank is broken down to the point where he can only call Chin Chin a "stupid poopyface".
- Big "YES!": Salamander Man's Catchphrase, to the point where he rarely says anything else.
- Bilingual Bonus:
- Frank has started off some of his videos saying stuff like "welcome, do you enjoy anal sex" and "420 blaze it faggot".
- At the start of his ramen and fried rice raps, you'll notice Pink Guy speaking Japanese at the start.
- For the ramen rap, he said "Good morning. Today, we will make ramen. Very exciting! Let's start, shall we?"
- For the fried rice rap, he said "Today, we'll be making fried rice. That's fried rice.note Now then, let's begin!"
- Black-and-Gray Morality: The "good guy" on the show rapes and kills baby animals for fun. The "bad guy" is a greatly feared entity.
- Black Comedy: Comedy so black, no light can escape it.
- Black Is Bigger in Bed: All together now—"My dick gets bigga cuz I'm a crazy nigga!"
- Bookends: "ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION RAP".
- At the start: Frank hears Pink Guy wailing in the bathroom as he's trying to get an erection.
- At the end: Frank leaves him be, saying that he doesn't even pay rent for the apartment.
- Born in the Wrong Century: Or rather, born in the wrong generation.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Frank thinks he's most like a cat due to reasons like hating water...and being castrated at a young age.
- Breakout Character: Pink Guy, Salamander Man, and Safari Man.
- Breathless Non Sequitur: Breathless to the point of suffocation.
"My wife is leaving me for a man named Esteban, he wears the same tank top every day."
- Also, the tags in the description of the video are strange stories of unrelated depravity.
- In "THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE"
- Brick Joke: In "BAD INTERNET RAPPERS", Frank brings up his issue with internet rappers by revealing how his friend fell victim to the "mixtape" phase, after which Frank had to put him out of his misery by shooting him repeatedly in an intentionally terrible parody of SNL's Dear Sister sketch. The internet rapper Politikz is defeated after Pink Guy, Salamander Man, and Frank himself shoot him to death in similar fashion.
- Broken Record: "Peanutbutter" (off of Pink Guy's new album) features the phrase "peanut butter on my balls, let the dogs lick it" many times over.
- "Anal Beads" also has the phrase "(My) ass is bleeding" repeated heinously.
- In Frank's weeaboo rant, Salamander Man plays a quick portion of his nose flute song.
- "FF and the Crew" on Pink Guy's album references "SHIT FILTHY FRANK SAYS", where Frank states that he hanged someone's dog from a tree due to that person throwing sand at him.
- In the 2014 Christmas Special, Safari Man laughs at Dade until he starts coughing blood. In "FILTHY FRANK VS CHIN CHIN", Pink Guy laughs at Safari Man until he starts coughing blood.
- Careful with That Axe:
- A rather random moment in "Jungle Boy" where Pink Guy screams incoherently for a bit.
- Also in "Anal Beads"; when Pink Guy describes the sensation of inserting the beads, he ends up screaming "OHHHH NOOOOOO!"
- Cast Full of Crazy: The Only Sane Man murders baby animals for fun. What else do you think this cast is?
- Catapult Nightmare: Frank after his rather surreal nightmare at the start of the 2014 Christmas Special.
- Catchphrase: See the character sheet.
- Cerebus Syndrome: It was originally an episodic collection of vulgarities with simple racist and grossout humor; as well as shenanigans from Frank and his various housemates. However, after Lord Chin-Chin appeared, there was something of a small plot about one of the characters getting kidnapped and Frank and co. having to save him.
- Character Blog: Aside from the main channel, Frank has his side channel, a Twitter, and a Facebook page.
- Character Title / Protagonist Title: The Filthy Frank Show.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Yung Upgrade from "PIMP MY WHEELCHAIR" is revealed to be a disguised Roast Lord Mr Negi 3000 in "FILTHY FRANK VS CHIN CHIN".
- Christmas Special: There were ones made in 2012 and 2014.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Characters are axed frequently, or at least pushed fairly well into the distance. Then again, a majority of them are played by one person and you can only fit so many people into one video.
- Joji never happened - stop asking about him.
- Cluster F-Bomb: If not for the humor, the show is very NSFW because of its language.
- Comically Missing the Point: From the Twitter segment of "I HATE SOCIAL NETWORKS":Frank: And everybody always comes out with these outrageous opinions."Oh, Zack and Cody's a terrible show!""I really don't like Asians."Frank: HEY! HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa—now that's too far. You don't EVER talk shit about Zack and Cody!
- Cool Car: Pink Guy's modified Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: In one video, Pink Guy is viciously egged to death for all of the dishes that he breaks as a Running Gag.
- Corpsing: Although he usually edits them out, there are moments where George (and the rest of the cast and crew) crack up and you see it. Invoked in PORN TITLE RAP, wherein Pink Guy challenges himself to recite a series of ridiculous porno titles submitted by the fans while keeping a straight face. It isn't long before he starts cracking up.
- Cosmic Horror Story: Parodied by the show's lore.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: At the end of the 2014 Christmas Special, we see that Dade wrote "LOVE U FRANK... DADE" on the wall in chocolate before dying.
- The Cover Changes the Meaning: Pink Guy's covers of "Bitches Ain't Shit" and "Fuck the Police". Both were examples of macho, Cluster F-Bomb-using Gangsta Rap—the former a Misogyny Song and the latter an anti-police Protest Song with a bunch of N-bombs—and he turns them both into mellow, melodic ukelele songs with multi-part vocal harmonies, leading to a serious case of Lyrical Dissonance.
- Crapsack World: The Frank-Verse is pretty fucked up.
- Creepy Good: The Peacel0rd that shows up during "FRANCIS OF THE FILTH" undulates and thrashes about, speaks in a Creepy Monotone, and has a spooky vaguely-Japanese-looking mask. He also performs a One-Hit Kill on Chin Chin, sucessfully banishing him, and protects Pink Guy from the wrath of the dark lord.
- Creepy Monotone: Sometimes Frank uses his text-to-speech processor to genuinely unnerving effect, like in "ONE DIRECTION FAN COMMITS SUICIDE" or "LOSER READS HATER COMMENTS 2".
- Curse Cut Short: Done twice in episode 2 of "Dissing Frank".(after having shown walrus porn to please a Facebook fan who requested it)Frank: Are you happy now, you filthy sh—
Frank: YOU [a hater] ARE ONE STUPID FU—
- And then a second time:
- "Oh, imma take you toOHHHHH WHAT THE FU—"
- Dead Baby Comedy: Every episode contains at least one joke about abortion, racism, or some other kind of humor that wouldn't be considered "politically correct".
- Death Is Cheap: Zigzagged. Pink Guy's apparent deaths by egging and flying banana (though the latter may just have been part of Frank's drug trip) did little to stop him from appearing in later videos. Pookie's first appearance had him being shot by Frank after he found out about his mixtapes, only to return in "CHIN CHIN SACRIFICE 2015" to be shot down by Frank again after he proclaimed his love for anime. Minor antagonists like Weeaboo Jones and PolitikZ on the other hand appear to have been Killed Off for Real as has Dade.
- Deranged Animation:
- Deus ex Machina: Or, in this case, a Nicolas Cage ex Machina.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: When Chin Chin arrives, what does Prometheus do? THROW A TRASH CAN AT HIM!
- Dimensional Traveller: Frank and company, if all the various realms disclosed are to be believed.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In the second grade, a kid threw sand at Frank...so he hung his dog from a tree.
- Downer Beginning: After the opening scene, the 2014 Christmas Special informs us that Dade's livers are failing, and that after months of attempts Frank's research has failed to make any progress. Frank's dad is one of 2 bald chocolate men left in the universe, and the species is bound to face extinction in the near future.
- Downer Ending: Again, the 2014 Christmas Special. Frank fails to find/make the antidote in time and Dade dies.
- Dramatic Gun Cock: Played with. The sound of a gun cocking and firing is used as part of the beat in the "ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION RAP".
- Driven to Suicide: "100 ACCURATE LIFE HACKS" ends with all problems being solved with the option of suicide."Just do it, you fucking pussy."
- Drugs Are Bad:
- Drugs Are Good: In "100 ACCURATE LIFE HACKS", cocaine use is supported as a means to prevent falling asleep during homework.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In the video "Rat Chef", Shaman is clearly not laughing and even disgusted when he's shown Filthyfrank's "meal" while the latter was joking about it.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- The first videos of "Filthy Frank" lack Frank's trademark Guttural Growler voice. Fans in the comments section joke "Frank before throat cancer". It also has a distinct lack of any of his wild characters the show is known for.
- Hell, DizastaMusic had 25 videos up (and a well-established series within them) before the prototype of Frank's show even began.
- Equal-Opportunity Offender: Frank. He even provides the page quote for this trope.
- Every Episode Ending: Most episodes end with the iconic outro (provides the page quote), and that is then followed up by some picturenote with someone saying "Let's get some pussy tonight!"
- Everyone Has Standards:
Frank: Organisations and governments from all over the world have been calling me and how this is simply not the way God intended it to be. Mosques, churches and even radical terrorist groups have come together to protest against this unethical act.
- In Frank's rant on weeaboos, he notes that his fanbase constantly eggs him on to do videos making fun of races or religions. But as soon as he decides to touch anime, everyone's telling him to relax and that he's gone too far.
- Pretty much the whole opening to "Human Ramen". Frank describes what he's about to do as going against our ethics, beliefs and humanity.
- Eye Scream: Chin Chin had his eyes sewn shut in an effort to lessen his powers, so now he has a pair crudely drawn on his eyelids.
- "The new Google Eyelids". "MY EEEEYYYEEESS!"
- Failed a Spot Check: Salamander Man is frequently said to have a flute, despite it clearly actually being a recorder.
- Fan Disservice: Most examples under Naked People Are Funny are really wierd, and not intended to be arousing.
- Foreshadowing: "WINNIE THE POOH CONSPIRACY" ends with a homeless Frank coming across a dead rat, who he tries to make into his dinner. When he realizes it's actually his friend Stuart, he tries reviving him with his finger. This concept would be cranked Up to Eleven in the next video, "RAT CHEF", which shows Frank not only manhandling dead rats but cooking with them.
- Formula-Breaking Episode: The Jojivlogs channel. Not only was it completely different from the Frank-Verse as a whole (very calm and down-low compared to the Frank-Verse's surreal grossout madness), but it in itself was non-linear from episode to episode, composed out of whatever the fuck George comes across in his day-to-day life. It is, in lowest terms, "meta".
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: The "Ask Filthy Frank" segments. The other housemates often make appearances during these segments as well.
- Fun with Subtitles: Usually characters like Pink Guy and Lemon Guy will speak in incoherent mumbles (in rare cases they'll actually speak) and the subtitles will say something completely different.
- Gainax Ending: The case for some videos.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: "I'M A LEMON!"
- Gratuitous Japanese: A particularly amusing example, seeing that the creator is Japanese."Konnichi-FUCKING-wa!"
- Grossout Show: To put it lightly, this show will gross you out. More often than not overlaps with Sadist Show.
- Hates Everyone Equally: "Over here, at the Filthy Frank Show, we support prejudice equality. Everyone gets shit."
- He's Back!: All hopes of seeing George's serious music were dashed at one point when he announced that the highly-anticipated Joji album that would be released in the fall after the Pink Guy album was cancelled. Afterwards, PinkOmega debuted in what could be an incarnation of a blend of Pink Guy and Joji, but this project was scrapped when it was announced that George was continuing to make more serious Joji music.
- Hypocritical Humor: A subtle point in "I HATE MEMES". Considering how memetic the Filthy Frank Show is and how much the creator encourages those memes, it's likely intentional.
- Iconic Outfit:
- The Lycra suits of Pink Guy, Salamander Man, Mr. Negi, Red Dick, Chin Chin, and Lemon Guy.
- The Nerd Glasses and dirty blue button-down shirt of Frank.
- I Like My X Like I Like My Y: "I like my women like I like my coffee—ground up and put in the freezer."
- I'm a Humanitarian: In "HUMAN RAMEN", Frank shows his audience a recipe to the ultimate ramen, with the final ingredient being...well, you can probably guess.note
- Implausible Deniability: "I'M NOT ON COCAINE!" exclaims Frank with white powder all over his face.
- Inaction Video: The music video for "Dick Pays Rent", of sorts. The video is basically Santa's Brother and Pink Guy rapping or doing really strange stuff.
- Insane Troll Logic: Runs rampant in Frank's conspiracy theory on Adam Sandler. Claims include that Sandler lives on two planes of existence, is a hologram manipulated through space, and has an end goal of draining Earth's resources so he can migrate to a new world to exploit.
- I Resemble That Remark!: Frank admits this when someone on Twitter says that his show is "a long-term documentary of why we should not take part in inbreeding."
- Irony: In "GAY IS A BAD WORD", after Frank very seriously discusses his usage of derogatory slurs towards homosexuals, he walks in on Pink Guy singing about how gay people should kill themselves.
- I've Got an X, and I'm Not Afraid to Use It!: "I've got a belt, and I'm not afraid to hang myself!"
- Kick the Dog: The Series.Frank: How much money would I stomp a puppy to death for? I think you'd have to pay me not to do it.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: PolitikZ. It was more of a "killed mid-rap" situation, really.
- Kirk Summation: In "FILTHY FRANK VS CHIN CHIN", Real Frank gives an epic one to Chin Chin, claiming that he isn't a god, which gets Chin Chin very defensive.
- Laser-Guided Karma:
- Frank does eventually lose in round 3 of the ultimate batsu game after having evaded it just barely for the past two.
- In the Ice Bucket Challenge video, we see a level of hell unleashed upon Frank never before seen, half of it not even having anything to do with the challenge. Considering Frank is known for occasionally treating his housemates like dirt, it's sort of nice to see him finally getting his comeuppance.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: During Frank's "I HATE HIGH SCHOOL," he states that it's good to be away from hell during summer break; these places include high school, college, and North Korea.
- Leitmotif: Whenever Chin-Chin or in some occasions another entity are mentioned, an excerpt from Black Hawk Down's Hunger plays.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Pretty much all of Pink Guy's songs/raps, if not Soundtrack Dissonance or a combination.
- Madness Mantra: From "LOSER READS HATER COMMENTS 2": "EVERYBODY LOVES YOU, FRANK" is used as Frank's Survival Mantra but is also very easily in this territory. It doesn't help that it is perpetually reiterated by a Machine Monotone.
- Marijuana Is LSD: If the last time Frank blazed it is anything to go by.
- Masochist's Meal: The basis of the batsu games; the loser of the round has to eat/drink something disgusting, more often than not created themselves from unpleasant ingredients. Taken up a few notches with the aptly titled ultimate batsu game, which has not one but three of them.note
- Mind Rape: Presumably happens to Pink Guy around the start of "FILTHY FRANK VS CHIN CHIN" when Pink Guy is captured and possessed by a group of faceless people that refer to themselves as "the Condemned".
- Mistaken for Gay: Frank is often accused of this during his "Loser Reads Hater Comments" segments, but seen how he's mostly hanging around men (some of which are either barely clothed or buck naked), it's hard not to assume that. However, Frank explains that if one can look at a dick and not get a boner, they would be fine, while adding that "those who act overly straight secretly want the snake-eye".Frank: You see, I've watched Magic Mike six times and I've never popped a fucking boner. Now, how do you like that?
- Motor Mouth: Pink Guy's rapping from time to time, examples including "Fried Rice" and his verse on "Dick Pays Rent".
- Mushroom Samba: His "420 blaze it" Japanese video, natch.This is what happens when you take drugs, man. This is what happens, yo! It's some crazy shit!
- Naked People Are Funny: Most of which are also Fan Disservice:
- In his "Just Girly Things" video, we briefly see two naked masked men walking and crawling around. Their male parts are covered by Whoopi Goldberg's face.
- They're also in the music video for "Dick Pays Rent", but their genitals are now censored by Mitt Romney.
- We get the great pleasure of seeing Frank naked at the start of his Christmas special.
- The naked man in the closet from "HOW TO BAKE BROWNIES".
- Nice Hat: Fake Frank wears a trademark aviator cap.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: ADAM SANDLER CONSPIRACY THEORY has Kevin James and Owen Wilson fucking Frank up pretty bad until he's bleeding profusely and convulsing on the floor. To make matters worse, Wilson rips off Frank's hand.
- No Indoor Voice: Frank does a lot of shouting.
- No Fourth Wall: The show is supposed to take place in real life, and George Miller has made appearances as Pink Guy in real life, such as "Pink Guy in Times Square".
- Noodle Incident:
- Apparently Frank and Mr. Magic Man were involved in the Cold War.
- Apparently Frank also fought in Vietnam. However it's unclear if he means the war, or if he just went there by himself to beat up some small children.
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: It's safe to say that the upcoming showdown between Frank and Chin Chin will be a pivotal point in the series' lore, since we've already seen the murder of Safari Man and the possession/torture of Pink Guy coming out of it.
- Not Safe for Work: This show is loaded with violent, sexual, and ethnically offensive humor that makes it totally workplace-inappropriate.
- N-Word Privileges: Played with in "THE N WORD". In Pink Guy's "Fuck tha Police" cover, each use of the N-word gets a Sound-Effect Bleep.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Two of them back-to-back in "BAD INTERNET RAPPERS": the first is Frank realizing that he doesn't have his gun to put down PolitikZ, and the second is Frank seeing that PolitikZ has his gun.
- Safari Man at the start of the 2014 Christmas Special when he sees Dade starting to cough up blood. His laughter stops and is immediately replaced with shock.
- Out of Focus:
- CONSTANTLY. Justified, since a good majority of the characters are all played by one person. Nowadays, basically all of the famous characters not played by George (Red Dick, Prometheus, etc.) have been put on a back burner.
- Even some of the characters that he does play have been subjected to this. Salamander Man and Safari Man hardly appear in later videos and there are some characters who've practically vanished around the time the Dizasta Music channel was left behind (Mr. Magic Man, Santa's Brother, Lemon) that the most prominent characters left are Frank himself, Pink Guy, and occasionally Chin Chin when the lore calls for him.
- Overcrank: Frank's been experimenting with this as of "CHIN CHIN SACRIFICE 2015", to pretty awesome effect.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: "EPIC NOSEBLEED".
- Parallel Porn Titles: The Porn Title Rap has Pink Guy rap a series of ridiculous porn titles submitted by fans while trying to keep a straight face. Many are parodies of famous works, including Spongebob Squarenuts, Edward Penishands, Black Cock Down, Willy Wonka and the Fudge Packing Factory, Forrest Hump, Schindler's Fist, The Flintbones, Good Will Humping, Whorry Potter and the Sorcerer's Balls, and Scoopy Doo. Some of the funniest ones are when they unexpectedly just throw the original title at him, like Shrek.
- Poe's Law: George has acknowledged that people actually take his jokes seriously and as a result genuinely see them as mindlessly offensive. For example, a message briefly shows after the joke against bullied people in "I HATE HIGH SCHOOL" that explains that it's just a joke, and the "Kill Yourself" video now starts with an annotation advising the viewer to not take it seriously.
- Pretty Boy: George is pretty handsome.
- Really Gets Around: Frank says that Adam Sandler's talents are getting billions of dollars and fucking billions of women.
- This Is Reality:
Filthy Frank: So the horse walks into a bar... and... I don't know if you guys know this, but if you're a horse... I'm not going to expect you to know what's going on. Like, I'm not going to expect you to understand the gravity of this sort of situation. Because you're a horse, obviously. So, this horse... absolutely doesn't know where he is. He just starts crying and squealing and shitting on the floor, knocking things over. So the whole place is in panic. So uh, we called pest control... and we put it down. We shot it. Six times. He's gone now. (crying) We're safe.
- An example in "PINK GUY- HITLER'S EVIL SON" that involves reality actually ensuing. Pink Guy and Hitler's Son engage in a high speed sports car race involving a lot of illegal speeding and dangerous drifting, among other things. They, as in the actors in real life, end up getting pulled over by the cops.
- When Chin-Chin tries to take Salamander Man as payment for Frank not providing him with sacrifices, Lemon attacks him with lemons. However, with Chin-Chin being an evil, super powerful being, it works as well as you'd expect and Chin-Chin takes Salamander Man.
- In a video titled, "Greatest Joke of All Time", Frank tells a joke about a horse walking into a bar. It goes how you would expect with this trope, and Frank.
- In one video, Frank tells the viewers methods on how to cheat in high school (writing answers on your leg, using Morse code, creating a whole system of cheaters). Then, after the last one, he says seriously and somewhat regretfully that as a result he hadn't learned anything after he cheated his way through school.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Most of the "BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION" video is dedicated to this.Filthy Frank: ...And lemme get one thing straight with you; the fact that you say "today's music" sucks, shows that you've only explored the shitty surface of music without actually having the effort to actually look through some decent music.
- Refuge in Audacity:
- "I'm not racist, I just don't like anyone's skin darker than mine."
- "Did you know statistically...1 in 10 people live next door to a pedophile? Not me, though. I live next to a lil' 10-year old boy with a fat ass."
- Rhymes on a Dime: Parodied in PolitikZ's song "Real Hip Hop", which shows that just because the lyrics rhyme doesn't make them good. The argument can easily be made that the rest of his music is like this as well.
- Rhyming with Itself: At the start of "Kill Yourself", Pink Guy rhymes "vagina" with itself.Poo poo, pee pee, penis and vaginaWomen with dicks and weak men with vaginas
- Running Gag:
- Pink Guy really likes throwing dishes and glasses against the wall.
- Frank doesn't simply say "pussy", he says "pUuUussy".
- Recently, the film Chef! has become one for Frank.
- Sanity Slippage: Arguably, the whole series. Frank was formerly an angry teenager posting rants that were mostly school-related. Hate comments caused him to devolve into what we know now, and the show followed.
- Say My Name: FRAAAANKKUUUUU!
- Scare 'Em Straight: After the "Japanese 101" video on how to say "420 blaze it", Frank's probably not gonna be smoking weed anytime soon.
- The Secret of Long Pork Pies: Apparently, ramen with human in it is the best Frank has ever tasted.
- Frank mixes this with Take That, Audience! in every other episode.
- Applies to George as well. At one point, his Instagram description was "a huge cunt from the rising sun".
- Frank's Facebook and Twitter descriptions both used to sum him up as "The Ed Wood of Youtube." It's not an invalid statement.
- From "I HATE MEMES"Frank: "There's a way we can stop them. Intellectual humor."Salamander Man: "HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THIS FUCKING SHOW?"
- Serial Escalation: The Show. Just when you think Frank can't get any filthier, he always manages to outdo himself. It's amazing. Some good video examples include Pink Guy's "We Can't Stop" video and "BALLS IN MY FACE".
- Before Frank enters the quarantine lab in "BAD INTERNET RAPPERS", he sings a bit of the Dexter's Laboratory theme song, fittingly.
- The popular "shut the fuck up" from Penn & Teller: Bullshit! is sampled as a sound clip into the beat of "Kill Yourself".
- In "VOMIT CAKE", he dresses up in a Naruto jacket.
- Speaking of "VOMIT CAKE", the whole "eat the ingredients of a dish, vomit, and use vomit to make that dish" concept could likely be a reference to the Jackass "vomelette".
- At the beginning of "FRIED NOODLES", a bit of dialogue from Dumb and Dumber can be heard.
- Sophisticated as Hell: In "Dissing Frank Ep 2", Frank found a hate comment concerning his rant on Asians. The comment featured the claim that without Asians, Earth would be "Soooo Boring", considering China made everything, Japan has anime, and Korea has K-pop. Frank combated this legitimately by saying that the hater had forgotten a large portion of Asia with that statement. The truly sophisticated part is at the very end."Therefore, in conclusion, I'd like to support my thesis, which is, you know, the idea that...YOU ARE ONE STUPID FU-"
- Sound-Effect Bleep: Pink Guy's cover of "Fuck the Police" is the only song of his to contain censor bleeps. Justified, considering most of them were for the N word, and the slur rarely gets dropped on the show.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Occurs often.
- One such example is playing Mulan's "Reflection" while Frank is coughing/screaming from trying the Cinnamon Challenge.
- Playing opera music while seeing someone getting bullied in a bathroom stall.
- Also while seeing Pink Guy dick around in an elevator with other people inside.
- Stuffy Old Songs About the Buttocks: A stuffy old song about the vagina, "Watermelon Pussy".
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix:
- The "IS THAT BLACK ENOUGH FOR YOU?" remix, originating from some footage from one of Frank's Q&As.
- Also, the "gibe da pusi b0ss" remix.
- Stylistic Suck: A huge attribute to the show's main aesthetic. When promoting "ALMOND MILK" on his Instagram, Frank described it with "as 2005 internet as it gets".
- Sudden Name Change: Pink Guy was formerly known as Mr. Pink for the one video in which he was introduced.
- Surreal Humor: It can be argued to be this, as some might not "get" the strangeness of the show, especially with Frank and Co's over the top antics.
- Surrounded by Idiots: And Frank, more or less, is one of those idiots.
- Take That!:Frank: Every time your favorite anime character says something cute, you're virtually fucking a computer. What are you, Steve Jobs?
- Made even more biting since Steve Jobs died three years prior.
- Take That, Audience!:
- A frequent Running Gag in which (at the start of the video) Frank calls out his viewers and wonders why he's even doing this for them.
- A rather harsh one (YMMV debated though) in the video "RICE BALLS", where there's a small hint of mimicking near the end of what sounds like Pink Guy mocking the fans who complain about Joji disappearing/want Joji-Pink Omega music. Whether this is just part of the show's traditional humor or George is doing a take that is up in the air.
- Tempting Fate:
- "It's just Taco Bell—What Could Possibly Go Wrong?"
- "It's just cinnamon."
- That Came Out Wrong: From "I HATE FAT PEOPLE""If we were in an amusement park, I would ride you! (beat) NO! Wait! That's disgusting!"
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: The outro to almost every episode, and occasionally lines from the characters.
- Toilet Humor: A staple. Frank and the inhabitants of his home are often vomiting or spreading (faux) feces or blood all over the place. A particularly over-the-top example would be the episode "NOISE COMPLAINTS".
- Trolling Creator: In-Universe; Frank believes that Adam Sandler is this, since there's no way he could make such a glut of shitty movies accidentally, and starts using Insane Troll Logic to propose an idea that Sandler lives on a higher plane of existence and uses the physical plane as a playground.
- Trolling Translator: There has been some speculation that the subtitles Frank provides when he speaks Japanese at certain points is actually deliberately incorrect.
- The Unsmile: In this Jap 101 video, Frank states that after saying the Japanese translation of "I eat the whole ass" to a girl, you need to give them a nice smile. He then demonstrates. The result is pretty terrifying.
- Unsound Effect: "Slurp, slurp" from "Watermelon Pussy".
- Wham Episode:
- "CHIN CHIN SACRIFICE", where Lord Chin-Chin arrives expecting a sacrifice as usual, but Frank didn't have one prepared, so he ends up taking Salamander Man. It was the first sign that the show wasn't just shits and giggles anymore.
- And the 15-minute video that depicted Frank going out to save Salamander Man.
- And also the 13-minute video in which we finally see Frank's actor.
- The vegan rant ends with Frank solemnly declaring that there will be a war, possibly foreseeing a continuing of the FF lore.
- FILTHY FRANK VS CHIN CHIN.
- Wham Line:
"Realm: Pangea 308.62 (Abandoned). -30,000 CH. Population: 0. Formerly known as 'Earth'."
- From the 2014 Christmas Special:
"If you do not present the sacrifices, Frank will die"
- "WHERE ARE THE SACRIFICES???":
Pink Guy: You're an impostor.
- In "TOILET SRIRACHA SHRIMP"
Green Cunt: He's not here, dummy. He's not real. There is no Francis of the Filth.
- Seemingly followed up by Veggie Cunt in "I HATE VEGANS" with "You're not the real Frank", to which Fake Frank responds with the equally jarring "There will be a war."
- In "A WAR IS COMING...":
- Wham Shot:
- Pink Guy suddenly coming back at the end of "BAD INTERNET RAPPERS" to kill PolitikZ after having appeared for 5 seconds earlier in the episode.
- At the end of "CHIN CHIN'S RETURN" we are treated to a big one in the form of a title: "CHIN CHIN VS. FRANCIS OF THE FILTH." That's right, the real Filthy Frank we know and love is coming back to take on the Dark Lord.
- After Frank defeated Chin Chin by giving him herpes, Frank muses that the Dark Lord will return to continue his quest for more chromosomes, with several candidates already in mind. We are then treated to a brief shot of a dead Safari Man.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In "CHIN CHIN SACRIFICE 2015", Chin Chin brings up Dade's death in the previous year's Christmas special, and rightfully blames Frank for failing to find the antidote in time.
- Who Writes This Crap?!: No surprise coming from the self-advertised "Worst show on the Internet". Frank often says it's impossible to enjoy the show unless you're horribly depraved or really high.
- World of Ham: Nothing is done subtly in the Frank-Verse. Not even cooking.
- Viewers Are Morons: George/Frank has expressed annoyance with always having to put disclaimers on his crass jokes. See "I HATE HIGH SCHOOL" for example.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: All of the entities in the apartment with one another and with Frank.
- Red Dick and Pink Guy are shown to be this on occasion.
- In "Rock Paper Scissors," Red Dick sics Prometheus on Pink Guy after losing the game. Prometheus chases Pink Guy across a field and breaks his spine with a trash can. In response, Pink Guy summons Chin Chin who defeats Red Dick in an intense fight.
- Vlog Series: Technically, the show is this for Frank. The Jojivlogs channel was this for George.
- Voice of the Legion: Used to strangely humorous effect in the "hilarious and original" bit from "LOSER READS HATER COMMENTS 2".
- Vomit Discretion Shot: In "ULTIMATE BATSU GAME", the sewage squid that Red Dick ate does quickly come back up, but thankfully he doesn't let Frank and Prometheus record it.
- Vulgar Humor: Frank gets a lot of mileage out of sex and bodily functions.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The Internet rapper that we see quarantined in "BAD INTERNET RAPPERS" named Politikz. Frank even makes note of it.Frank: His name is PolitikZ...with a Z. I don't know why, they like to spell it like that, they're just fucking weird.
Music related to the show includes examples of the following tropes:
- Affectionate Parody: Pink Season contains several.
- Angry White Man: The subject of "White Is Right".
- Ass Shove: In ''Gays 4 Donald", the singer suggests inserting a finger or two, and maybe even some gerbils or gophers.
- The boastful school shooter in "I Have a Gun", who shot up a preschool, his highschool, and his college.
- Goofy in "Goofy's Trial", who stands accused of committing a mass shooting at a public elementary school that killed 27 children and crippled five. His lawyer Mr. Roseberg begs him to keep his mouth shut and cooperate with his insanity plea, but Goofy gleefully admits to the court that he's guilty, he loves murder, and he'd do it again.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: "Small Dick" satirizes men's obsession with penis size by blowing it to ridiculous levels:My dick is only seven inches long and I'm ashamed, yeah!
If you're under nine inches you should die!
If you're under nine inches you cannot pleasure women!
Size always matters! It always matters!
- Black Is Bigger in Bed: "Small Dick" mocks the fetish/stereotype of black men being more "gifted" in bed:Black lives matter too, yeah.
Black lives matter too.
Their dicks are way bigger, yeah.
They're so athletic.
I wish I could play basketball like a black man.
I wish I could satisfy my girl like a black man.
- Boomerang Bigot:
- The singer of "White is Right" says everyone's equal in God's eyes "except for faggots, and except for niggers". This is after he admits to screwing his own son.
- The guy in "Gays 4 Donald" includes lesbians among the groups he hates, yet he sings about how he'd love to have gay sex with Donald Trump.
- Black Comedy Animal Cruelty: A recurring gag in various songs, such as the non-sequitur in Anal Beads, "I broke a dog's neck."
- Broken Record:
- Near the end of "Fried Rice", the phrase "CHIN! CHIN!" is repeated over and over.
- "Club Banger 3000" has an "'Ay!" voice clip commonly heard in trap music spammed to relentless degrees.
- "Another Earth" mostly consists of the chorus "Fuck Young Thug" over and over again.
- The Bully: "HIGH SCHOOL BLINK 193" is about how everyone bullied him in high school, shook him down for money, and called him a faggot.
- Call-Back: In "GOOFY'S TRIAL", you can faintly hear Mickey's laughter from the gay mickey video.
- Celeb Crush:
- Conspiracy Theorist: The singer of "FLEX LIKE DAVID ICKE" praises professional conspiracy theorist David Icke, and claims that aliens and reptile people are real, The Illuminati exist, Hitler's still alive, The Holocaust didn't happen, the moon landings were faked, the president's been replaced with a clone, etc.
- Deep South: Parodied harshly in "White is Right", which is from the perspective of a stereotypical Southerner who's inbred, racist, homophobic, and Christian.
- Dissimile: "I DO IT FOR MY HOOD"I'm selling cocaine in the streets like a grocery
Except it's not groceries, it's cocaine!
- The Ditz: The singer in "White is Right" says that he's "really fucking stupid" and doesn't know how to read or write.
- Everyone Has Standards: The singer of "Nickelodeon Girls" is a wierdo who masturbates to the "fire bitches" on Nickelodeon, but he insists that he's not a pedophile.The girls I've sexualized are all in their twenties and thirties.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "Dog Festival Directions" is a song giving you actual directions to the annual dog meat festival in Yulin, Guangxi, China, complete with bus routes and hotel reccomendations. Who woulda thought?
- Fur and Loathing: "Furr" on Pink Season, in which the singer brags about all the wild animals he's turned into clothes and furniture:Yeah, I don't give a fuck about the dolphins on my back, man
I know a guy, who knows a guy, I get it like that
With a polar bear ceiling fan cooling down my back
And a kangaroo pouch to hold my diamonds and rags
- Gratuitous Japanese: The thirteenth Pink Season track, "セックス大好き" (translates to "I love sex"), is almost entirely in Japanese.
- Gag Penis: "Dick Pays Rent"I turn around way too fast and knock things off the shelf with my dick.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?:
- The basis of Pink Guy's song "Please Stop Calling Me Gay".I kissed two girls before,
And it felt really good
Because they were women,
And not men...
Cuz' I'm NOT gay!
- Also, "d i c c w e t t 1"Mm, I smell the pussy from a mile away.
No, I am not gay.
'Cause when I get my dick wet, I don't get it wet in a man's ass.
Yeah, 'cause it's wet from the pussy.
- The basis of Pink Guy's song "Please Stop Calling Me Gay".
- Insanity Defense: Goofy's lawyer tries to claim that his client is clinically insane, but Goofy immediately contradicts him and agrees that he was fully aware of his actions when he committed the massacre. For what it's worth, he also says "the demons told me to."
- Jerk Jock: "HIGH SCHOOL BLINK 193" has the line, "Jocks beat me up."
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Pink Guy's woes in "Erectile Dysfunction".
- Lyrical Dissonance: Very common.
- "Fried Noodles" has a light, happy-sounding chorus accompanied by these lyrics:I live in a constant state of fear of misery
Do you miss me anymore?
And I don't even notice when it hurts
Anymore, anymore, anymore, anymore
- "Help" is a Twenty One Pilots-level example of this trope; the song is led a happy ukelele riff and bouncy instruments, while the song is about suffering from extreme depression.
- "Fried Noodles" has a light, happy-sounding chorus accompanied by these lyrics:
- Master Race: The white supremacist redneck in "White is Right," who's proud to be "Aryan race, eyes blue as the sky" despite also having a cleft lip and a lazy eye.If you think about it, Hitler did nothin' wrong
He was really just tryin' to keep the race nice and strong
'Cause white is right, and white is good.
Keep those niggers back in the hood.
- Mood Whiplash: Two songs from "Pink Guy" and "Pink Season":
- Mr. Seahorse: In "I Will Get A Vasectomy", the edgy teen's dad spanks him while saying "I should have never given birth to you."
- No Ending: The Pink Season song "Small Dick" cuts off abruptly in the middle of a word.
- Once Done, Never Forgotten: The singer of "Please Stop Calling Me Gay", or so he claims.Please stop calling me gay.
I touched a willy in high school once, and it was just a little mistake.
So please stop calling me gay.
- Painful Rhyme: George has a lot of fun invoking these. "Nickelodeon Girls", for example:Lizzie McGuire is tight
but I bet Zoe's tighter!
You can find me in her bed
digging through that verginer!
- Perverse Sexual Lust:
- The caller in "Nickelodeon Girls" lusts after Lizzie McGuire and Zoey Brooks, making little distinction between the characters and their actresses.
- "Dora", from the perspective of a guy who'd like to have sex with Dora the Explorer. Maybe Diego too.First name Dora. Last name Explorer.
Bitch look good for a four-year-old.
That's not illegal, 'cause she's an animation.
And I'm a human.
- Piss Take Rap: PolitikZ awful rap songs, including "REAL HIP HOP" and "Hand On My Gat".
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: PolitikZ's sadly mistaken view of himself in "REAL HIP HOP".Aha! Hey yo! Who would have thought that a white boy would bring Hip-Hop back?
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "I Will Get a Vasectomy" is pretty much a ballad aimed towards kids for being too dumb and impressionable, and teens for being too repetitive and unoriginal with their edgy jokes.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: In "White is Right":Please don't touch me, my dad is a lawyer.
And I'll have you know I will not settle in court.
I got a nice job at my father's firm,
If I cry hard enough the police will let me go.
I'm a white teenage boy in his prime.
If I rape a girl it won't be a crime,
because my father has my back. And Lord Jesus Christ.''
- Sophisticated as Hell: See entry for Suddenly Shouting.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Pink Guy's songs/raps incorporate this, Lyrical Dissonance, or both.
- Stylistic Suck: Any music made by PolitikZ, which features annoying beats, lousy mic quality, cringe-worthy vocals, and grade school rhymes.
- Suddenly Shouting: The phone call to Nickelodeon headquarters that begins "Nickelodeon Girls":Hi, sorry to disturb you this late at night, I have a serious inquiry directed towards Nickelodeon, uh, my question is WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!?
- Talks Like a Simile: Exaggerates the use of similes in rap, sometimes stirring up a hurricane of increasingly weird ones.My dick don't stand, like a fat kid in P.E.
The only time it's active's when I'm in the bathroom peeing.
I'm like a Nazi with a broken arm.
I couldn't get it up even if my life depended on it!
- Teeny Weenie: Parodied in Pink Guy's song "Small Dick", where he says he's ashamed of his small dick because it's "only" seven inches long. In fact, he claims that any guy whos under nine inches cannot pleasure women.
- Wham Line:
- "Hentai" contains a line that shifts the song's trajectory very harshly.I need hentai
It helps me
- In "GOOFY'S TRIAL".Judge Wait-wait hold on, Mr. Goofy... You are saying that you were conscious—?
Goofy: Hyuck-hyuck! A-yup!
Judge: You were conscious, and aware of your actions? Is that correct?
Goofy: A-hyuck! A-yup!
- Two songs from "Pink Guy" and "Pink Season", with similar subjects talked about in lyrics, and similar ways of invoking mood whiplash.
Santa's Brother (Around the interlude): Uncle Brad used to touch me.
- "Pussy Doe" has two parts of wham lines.
I need the pussy
- "Uber Pussy"
my wife divorced me...
- "Hentai" contains a line that shifts the song's trajectory very harshly.
- Watershed: Discussed in "Nickelodeon Girls":I'm not saying you should change all the bitches, but at least something after 10:30.
- Word Salad Lyrics: More often than not in Pink Guy's music.