A Vlog Series is a type of Web Video Series or Web Animation series presented as a video blog (vlog) by one or more fictional characters existing within the series. Some overlap with Character Blog, a type of Fan Work, while others are non-derivative works featuring characters created for the vlogs.
The Vlog Series comes in two flavours: the more-or-less realistic variety, which is filmed using (or as if using) webcams and presented as entirely in-universe, as though it is really happening; and the traditional camera variety, which alternates between webcam-style and more conventional TV camera styles like mockumentary.
Some non-vlog works feature characters creating a vlog as a framing device or in select scenes, or include a vlog-style bonus or promotional video while otherwise being a different kind of work.
Despite the name, this is not to be confused with ongoing vlogs by real people, although some vlog series pretend to be non-fiction.
Vlog series with their own pages:
- The Adventures of Jamie Watson and Sherlock Holmes, a modern-day adaptation of Sherlock Holmes
- Agamemnon Tiberius Vacuum
- All For One, a modern take on The Three Musketeers
- Ask Lovecraft, a Q&A format show hosted by H. P. Lovecraft himself
- The Autobiography of Jane Eyre, a Setting Update of Jane Eyre
- Barbie Vlog are a series of CGI shorts featuring Barbie's vlog
- The Borrowers That Lend: Season 1 A Document of Madness is modernization of Hamlet and Season 2 The Better Strangers is modernization of As You Like It
- Brains is a college student's vlog about life after the end of a Zombie Apocalypse
- Carmilla the Series, a modern-day adaptation of Carmilla
- The Church of Blow
- Classic Alice, a modernization with over 125 videos of 13 classic novels & short stories with an overarching original plot.
- Demyx Time
- Diary of a Bad Man
- Echo Rose
- The Emma Agenda
- Emma Approved, taking on Emma
- Everyman HYBRID
- Filthy Frank
- Four Blokes Without Telly
- Frankenstein M.D.
- From Mansfield With Love, another Jane Austen Setting Update, this time of Mansfield Park, but unrelated to Bernie Su's productions
- Glove and Boots: Vlog series about two puppets who deal with various issues in pop culture, from Doctor Who to the Zombie Apocalypse.
- The Guild
- Hamlet The Vlog is a modernized version of Hamlet, full of current cursing and slang from the titular prince, who is played by a woman.
- The Indiana Jones Interrogations, an Indiana Jones fan film mini-series on YouTube and Vimeo that uses a Found Footage format in the form of old, damaged interrogation tapes from the 1930's, that depict Indy being brutally questioned while in Nazi custody
- Internet Killed Television
- Interns of F.I.E.L.D., an Affectionate Parody of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- The Joker Blogs, with the second season shifting to traditional camera
- Keratin Garden
- LG15: the resistance, purportedly, although it makes frequent use of what appears to be traditional camera footage
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, an Emmy-winning adaptation of Pride and Prejudice
- lonelygirl15, which popularised this style
- Lovely Little Losers, based on Love's Labour's Lost
- The March Family Letters
- The New Adventures of Peter + Wendy
- Norms Bar Stool
- Nothing Much To Do, based on Much Ado About Nothing
- OddTube, a Spin-Off of Odd Squad
- The Park Bench, a semi behind-the-scenes series for Tom Scott videos.
- Project Green Gables is a Finnish (as in from Finland; the episodes are in English) adaptation of the Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery
- StewdioMACK, a comedy-drama presented in a heavily autobiographical style
- Strange Aeons
- Sugar Pine 7 is an improv comedy following a fictionalised Steven Suptic and his strange group of friends. It switches to Traditional camera in the Season 1 finale when everything starts to get serious.
- Thats Not Right
- Tree Fog
- Tribe Twelve
- Twelfth Grade (Or Whatever) is a webseries based upon Twelfth Night
- University Ever After, which puts Fairy Tale characters, Disney Princesses in particular, in college. While the first season uses an in-universe camera, the second one alternates with a traditional camera
- The Veronica Exclusive is a fanmade adaptation of Heathers, set in 2015, framed as Veronica's video diary
- Welcome to Sanditon, based on the unfinished manuscript Sanditon
Examples within other works or without pages:
- Marvel Comics did one of these (in which a teenage girl suspected that her brother had been replaced by an alien) as a viral publicity for their Crisis Crossover Secret Invasion.
- The film adaptation of The Martian used this trope several times, presumably because having Mark Watney typing the journal he's keeping (as seems to be the case in the novel) with a voiceover would have been rather less interesting on-screen.
- BBV Probe released a minisode entitled Shadow of Doubts in 2020 presented as the video logs of Giles, one of main characters.
- Irish TV series Dan and Becs and its sequel series Sarah and Steve were both shot in the form of first person diaries, cutting between their different tellings of the same events. It's never quite made clear whether or not they post the diaries on-line.
- Six years after the radio sitcom Cabin Pressure ended, creator John Finnemore (who also played the character Arthur) made a spin-off/sequel called Cabin Fever, which is all about Arthur during the COVID-19 Pandemic, how he makes web videos and plays various silly games with his audience. The rest of the cast don't appear in person, but Arthur keeps in touch with them via Skype and social media and often relays messages or challenges from them to his audience.
- Some parts of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog are shot as an in-universe vlog by Dr. Horrible, and the listeners turn out to include the Villain Protagonist's arch enemy Captain Hammer and the LAPD.
- Green Gables Fables is an American-Canadian adaptation of the first three Anne of Green Gables books by L. M. Montgomery. Season 1 covers the first book and Season 2 the third; the second book was loosely adapted through transmedia only.
- I'm a Marvel... And I'm a DC has the sub-series "Goblin Blogging", which is presented as the Green Goblin's video blog.
- O (sur)real Mundo de Any Malu is an all-animated vlog channel made by Combo Estudio. While the videos themselves are Portugese, there are subtitles in English and Spanish for most videos.