- Besides ones to other Abridged Series, there are shout outs that range from Pokémon to Looking for Group.Nappa: For pony!
- In Episode 4, Piccolo's line "Everyone of Gohan's race can become a giant gorilla" is delivered in the same manner as an almost identical line given by Turles in the infamous Big Green dub.
- From Episode 6: "YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS."
- Episode six has one for The MonarchGreen Bug: Welcome to Oz, bitch! Yes, you (Vegeta) with the spiky hair, you're going to be my bitch! I'm going to sell you for a cigarette but not before I violate you because you're my bi-
- The TV reporter who is asked for a word to describe how dead Yamcha is gets addressed as "Mr. Kent", and even tells Jimmy to get a picture of the bald one. His voice actor (hbi2k) also voiced Superman from episode five's Hall of Justice scene.
- "No." "Don't be rude, Nappa." Made all the more appropriate by the fact that Vegeta is voiced by Lanipator, creator of Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged.
- Krillin's Butt-Monkey nature comes to a head, which devolves into a rage-induced FinalFantasy Limit Break attack. Comes complete with the End-of-battle victory theme.
- "Vegeta, I can't... believe it!" When Krillin and Piccolo do their
multi-form techinqueKage Bushin no Jutsu.
- In the announcement video of how the series will be hosted at That Guy with the Glasses, Vegeta portrayed himself as "The Nostalgia Saiyan".
- "You couldn't hit the side of a space barn!"
- A parody of the Ghostbusters theme is featured at the end of episode 10.
- When Vegeta cuts Oozaru!Gohan's tail, he starts singing a familiar song
- For some reason Kirk and Spock are investigating the Saiyan pods.
- The insult "team-killing fucktard" is used in Bardock Abridged.
- "This season. You." Possibly doubles as a shout-out to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Abridged, considering Antfish is a member of Team Four Star, and Lanipator made a guest appearence as Mr. Popo in that series.
- A more obvious one to ATHF is the
- A more obvious one to ATHF is the
- "Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not an English teacher!"
- From the Bardock special:(Bardock is under the pile of the dead bodies of his teammates.)
Bardock: Oh, God! It's true! You do soil yourself when you die! Oh, God, it's everywhere! It's in my Dodoria wounds!
- Earlier, Bardock realises his friend Toma is dead by staring at his own bloody hand.
- The title for Episode 13: Dr. Briefs Made This Episode In A Cave WITHABOXOFSCRAPS!
- In Episode 14, Krillin references the AC/DC song "Big Balls" when he sees the Namekian Dragon Balls.Krillin: Whoa, those things look huge! AC/DC be damned.
- Krillin calling Dende "Little Green" might be a reference to the AB Groupe dub, in which Piccolo was referred to as "Big Green"... which Krillin calls Nail. Nail responds by threatening to snap Krillin's neck if he calls him that again, but then Guru starts using it purely to troll Nail.
- During the Curb-Stomp Battle between Zarbon and Vegeta, while Vegeta is being head butted by Zarbon, he can be heard saying narf, zort, poit and troz.
- The theme from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes plays when Super Kami Guru unlocks Krillin's full potential, in episode 16.
- From episode 17:Vegeta: M-my power is maximum...
- Also from Episode 17: Appule can be seen playing Tenkaichi Budokai 3 as himself fighting Bardock. Doubles as a Call-Back to the Bardock: TAS special.
- Gozu and Mezu from episode four of season one introduce themselves and speak in German accents just like Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon's body builder characters Hans and Franz from Saturday Night Live
- When the Ginyu Force landed on Planet Namek in Episode 18, they greet Freeza, saying "We're here", in a manner oddly similar to a group of villains synchronize when they're speaking along with having a very shallow and grave voice. (Alternatively, it could be a reference to Poltergeist. Or both.)
- The Albino Namekians could be a reference to the White Martians: they're white, the other sentient species on the planet is green, and the two races don't get along too well.
- Episode 19: As he fights Gohan and Krillin, Guldo (who can stop time) does something in particular.Guldo: ZA! WARUDO!
Krillin: What are you (time stop) going on abou- (a steamroller drops on him)
Guldo: You see that? That was just a taste of my power! (A still intact Krillin lifts the steamroller) Huh?
Krillin: Ow! What the hell was that?
Guldo: (in disbelief) That... was supposed to crush you.
Krillin: Gohan, did you see it? His power! He can—
Gohan: Stop time?
Krillin: --summon steamrollers!
Gohan: Y-You sure about that?
- Vegeta pulls a "Look at your X, now look at me" in episode 19.
- The Spaceys restaurant is is parody of the Sonic Drive-In restaurant chain.
- The uncensored version of Vegeta's Cluster Bleep-Bomb has the line "find me in the Alps", a Shout Out to an edited line from the TV version of The Big Lebowski.
- In the Christmas Special, Piccolo says to Turles, "Bitch, you look like Goku."
- Piccolo and Turles also reference Harry Partridge and his "Nicholas Cage Wants Cake" short.Turles: You want this kid?
Piccolo: I want him.
Turles: You want this kid?
Piccolo: I want him.
Turles: You want this kid?
Piccolo: I want him.
Turles: You want—you want—
Piccolo: I WANT THAT KID!
- In the Bardock Special, there are numerous shoutouts to Image Boards and the memes prevalent on them:Dodoria: That Bardock's a pretty cool guy.
Zarbon: He conquers planets and doesn't afraid of anything.
Freeza: Doesn't afraid of anything indeed.
- And the whole of Episode 20 to Professional Wrestling.
- Also, Recoome's theme song is E1M1 from Doom. ...because that's what his name rhymes with.
- Specifically, it's the remix "Hangarmageddon (E1M1)" by Evil Horde off of Disc 1 of "The Dark Side of Phobos", an album off of the music remix site OCRemix
- The song that plays when Goku lands is "Real American", which was Hulk Hogan's theme.
- Super Kami Guru tells Dende that he could be Batman.Dende: I don't know who that is!
Super Kami Guru: This is why we need TV!!!
- Vegeta finishes off Recoome and Burter with a Renegade interrupt.Goku: Vegeta! That was not very Paragon!
Vegeta: Renegade for life.
- Goku does a reversed Call-Back to this in Episode 49 when pulling on Saiyan armor.
- When Goku asks if Vegeta actually lost to Recoome:
- A great one in Episode 23 as Jeice meets his demise at the hands of Vegeta:Jeice: (right before he dies) Clever girl.
Vegeta: (after getting punched by Jeice) Thank you, sir. May I have another?
- Right before Vegeta kills Jeice...
- The Wilhelm scream is referred to as such, when the soldiers are discussing, and trying to imitate, it. Then they actually do it with some "help" from Vegeta.
- In Episode 24: "Stop right there, Namekian scum!"
- In Episode 25, one of Gohan's Unstoppable Rages references another character famous for them:
- After Krillin cuts Freeza's tail off in Episode 25, you can hear him make Curley and Zoidberg's 'whoop' sound as he runs.
- In Episode 25, Councilor Nappa appears to be wearing a particularly familiar yet oddly concerning choice of hats◊.
- Piccolo's Big Damn Heroes moment in Episode 25 accompanied by theme music for a different Demon King.
- Lord Slug says Get Over Here/Come Here when he extends his arms to grab Goku.
- Also, after Lord Slug has conquered earth.
- Piccolo comments that Freeza's third form will make Ridley Scott sue them. He's got a point. (This may also be a reference to "George Lucas is gonna sue somebody" from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.)
- The following is an odd reference to GTA IV;Krillin: I'm an optimist.
Vegeta: You're an idiot.
- Who else but Vegeta should make a 40K reference in Dragonball Z? This was said during his Beam Spam attack in Episode 27:
- Vegeta isn't the first person to use the phrase "Super Saiyan Swagger".
- The line "Please don't break my arm" from Lord Slug Abridged is spoken like it's being read from textspeak. This is possibly a reference to a troll on Second Life named Ralph Pootawn. He`s a big green creature that when is asked to "Plz" not do something responds with "No".
- In episode 29, Goz sings a bit of "Haben sie Gehort das Deutsche Band?" from The Producers.
- In episode 30, Part 1, when Goku goes Super Saiyan, part of his "World of Cardboard" Speech is Darkwing's "I am the terror that flaps in the night."
- In episode 30, Part 2, when Vegeta rising from his grave:Vegeta: When there's no more room in hell, Vegeta shall walk the—[notices Namek collapsing on itself]—other hell. What the hell?
- Not the only Romero reference in episode 30. When Guru is eaten alive his last words are "Choke on them".
- Also in episode 30, part 2, after using Porunga's third wish to transport all the Namekians to Earth, Dende says "It's good to be the king."
- Also in episode 30, Freeza's Ignored Epiphany moment seems to be directly inspired by Denis Leary's Asshole Song.
- According to Bulma, her father is a genius, billionaire, playboy philanthropist.
- The blip.tv exclusive stinger for episode 30 Part 3 has King Cold and his men turning the maimed Freeza into Mecha Freeza mimicking Anakin Skywalker's transformation into Darth Vader at the end of Revenge of the Sith, complete with Big "NO!"
- When Goku goes Super Saiyan in episode 30, Freeza stands there stunned and says "That's not funny."
- Revenge of Cooler has a couple from the titular character, and his minion.
- Episode of Bardock includes a after credits sequence that references a famous Dub-Induced Plot Hole by having Bardock refered to as a "brilliant scientist" who admits he's working on a "fake moon thing." Broly Abridged continues the joke, with Vegeta and Paragus both referring to Bardock as a scientist.
- Also in Episode of Bardock, when the primitive Saiyan Twopock gets shot by Chilled, Dr. Dray calls him a "big... small guy."
- The primitive Saiyans try to sing "Welcome Christmas" from How the Grinch Stole Christmas! to both Bardock and Chilled. Both stop them before they get any farther than the first eight words.
- Episode 32 is entitled Battlefield Ee-arth.
- There's a subtle one in episode 32 when Gohan and Vegeta ask for their suits of armor, with Vegeta sounding a bit like a certain ice-themed superhero...Gohan: Mom, where's my Saiyan suit?
Vegeta: (with an "urban" accent) Woman, where is my Saiyan suit?
- When Future Trunks goes Super Saiyan and Freeza loses it, the theme for a different alien cyborg starts playing...Freeza: EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!
- In Episode 34, Future Trunks' time machine vanishes to the iconic TARDIS sound effect.
- Later in episode 33 when Trunks is lifting up Freeza's planet-destroying-attack the opening theme from The Lion King plays.
- And this from episode 33:Vegeta: Wait a second! Did someone drink the last Hetap?! I'll kill you!
Krillin Woop, woop, woop, woop, woop!
- In the Cooler Movie, Krillin mentions that he doesn't want to go pick up the Senzu beans because last time he forgot Korin's name and kept calling him "Whiskers the Wonder Cat", which is the name that was given to him in the infamous Harmony Gold dub.
- The title of episode 34 is "News of Future Past".
- In the same episode, when Goku accidentally send Chi Chi flying out a window, Gohan takes the fall for him, saying "THE WORST SHE CAN DO IS GROUND ME, NOW RUN!"
- From Episode 35 we have this:Goku: (talking about the androids) I wonder if they dream of electric sheep...
- As well as this:
- In Episode 36, there's a point when Doctor Gero proclaims "bully!"
- In the same episode, Vegeta says, "Mine!" several times as he's flying closer to Android 19.
- In The Stinger to Episode 37, Nail and Piccolo continue to discuss new attack names with references to various other series:
- In Episode 38, the Cybermen theme plays when Androids 17 and 18 awaken.
- Episode 40 has Mr Popo high on LSD. A Gallon of LSD from a milk jug, similar to the milk jug Gallon of PCP skit from The Whitest Kids U' Know
- The food truck drivers in Episode 41 are given the names Chuck and Jones.
- Cell's introduction in Episode 42 has him singing "Mr. Sandman" in about the most terrifying way possible while dragging a corpse around and stalking Piccolo, which could be a reference to the Halloween franchise which has repeatedly used the song as a Soundtrack Dissonance Leitmotif for Michael Myers. At the same time, it could also be a reference to Back to the Future, given Cell's status as a Time Traveller and the latter film being the Trope Namer for the "Mister Sandman" Sequence.
- In Cooler 2: The Return of Cooler's Revenge: The Reckoning, after Gohan gets kidnapped by the robots.Piccolo: I'm coming!
- When the Big Getti Star beeps after Cooler reveals how he survived, Cooler replies with "Shut up baby, I know it!"
- After Cooler tells Goku that the Big Getti Star gave him regenerative power, he says "But enough about me, let's kill you!"
- The music that plays during Cooler's regeneration is the theme of the REGIS mk. V.
- Goku's line to Vegeta when the two destroy a metal Cooler is a reference to the Garbage Pail Kids movie.
- In episode 28, after a one-liner, Goku thanks his brain, which responds "You're welcome" in the voice of Orson Welles. Later in the same episode, while drowning, Goku asks his brain for a status report, only to receive the response " gaaaaaablaaaahh frozen peas ," referencing a blooper reel that has reached Memetic Mutation status.
- During the remake of The Dead Zone Abridged, the theme from The Dead Zone is playing in the opening.
- When 16 rips off Cell's tail, Cell regenerates it and tells him "If it's any consolation, that hurt like Hell."
- Episode 48 is called "Advanced Geometry", which features ample appearances from Tien and his Tri-Beam/Kikoho attack. In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, playing a character with Takahata101's Nappa voice and using the aforementioned attack will have them yell "Advanced Geometry!".
- The way Goku uses Instant Transmission in this episodeabruptly vanishing from a still frame accompanied by a little "pop" noiseis awfully similar to how Brain Guy teleports stuff in Mystery Science Theater 3000.
- Considering TFS wrote that voice's dialog, it's highly likely that this will continue happening.
- From episode 49 - "Have you tried turning me off and on again?"
- "So, if you just want to run along and bring back someone substantial, say...i dunno...Goku, that'd be greeaaaaat."
- More generally, the comedic style of the show clearly takes some inspiration from Archer, such as cutting in the middle of a character's dialogue to another speaking character who finishes the first character's sentence.
- Super Android 13 has Android #15 taking a drink and holding up his finger when Vegeta tries to ask what #15's doing, which is a running gag the titular character often does.
- Continuing the Doctor Who shout outs associated with Future Trunks, Super Android 13 has a brief snippet of the Eleventh Doctor's theme play when Trunks faces off against Super Android 13, even accompanied by a rather Doctor-esque speech from Trunks.
- Trunks is tired off these "Monkey Fighting Androids in this Monday to Friday timeline!"
- Episode 51 has a few Steven Universe references:
- The cold open of episode 51 is a parody of the song "Giant Woman", in sing-along form.
- Lapis Lazuli's theme plays in the background as Krillin looks upon 18 and starts having doubts about killing her. Incidentally, 17 and 18's non-android names are Lapis and Lazuli.
- Episode 52, Perfect Cell, responds to Vegeta's Final Flash with "Oh, cute he named it OH, SHIT!", a reference to Cell's Precision F-Strike in several dubs of DBZ.
- When 16 fights Imperfect Cell, many of his movements and actions use iconic sound effects from the Gundam series.
- In World's Strongest, Kochin worries if he left his keys at "Slump's".
- While Trunks and Cell are fighting in Episode 53, Cell gives a familiar "d'oh!".
- From the Cold Open of Episode 54: "All work and no play makes Gohan a dull boy, All work and no play makes Gohan a dull boy "
- Cell takes a social media pandering cue from Michael Cole: "Be a part of the conversation on Twitter! #CellGames"
- In the list of cities Cell terrorized and absorbed Penguin Village is listed among them.
- The country music channel is a scene from the 3rd Mazinger series, UFO Robo Grendizer
- Similarly, the Hetap commercial uses footage from Mobile Suit Gundam.
- Goku talking about how handsome Cell is brings to mind another character voiced by Dameon Clarke.
- Mr. Satan promotes Jimmy Johns when he cuts his promo addressed to Cell. Also he and Goku both refer to their hot Asian wives.
- Vegeta goes insane after three (both in and out the time chamber) days and creates a version of Nappa using a broom and a volleyball.
- During the climax of the Broly movie, Goku remarks "I'll end it with one punch, man."
- Just before Broly and Vegeta's "fight", they quote lyrics from "No Church in the Wild".
- In the #CellGames video starring Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic calls Cell a "Big Bad Beetleborg"
- In the #CellGames video starring Saitama and Genos, Cell calls Saitama Caillou, which was a big meme when One-Punch Man became popular.
- At the end of Super Android 13, Roshi tries to come on to a Hospital Hottie by saying "Hello, Nurse!"
- In episode 58, Mr. Satan declared that "magnets under the ring" was what caused him to be defeated by Cell. Sorry, only works for the God Gundam.
- It also doubles up with Jimmy Firecracker's confused comment of "How does that work?" referencing the infamous "FUCKING MAGNETS" meme inspired by the Insane Clown Posse song "Miracles"
- Also from Episode 58, a remix of "We Are Number One" plays when Cell splits himself in four.
- A thousand years in the future, New Arlia is destroyed by Cell's Kamehameha, in a shout out to Phelous' old "Is That OK?" video.
- That video was alluded to earlier in the series, in episode 36, when after mocking Vegeta's "pure, unadulterated badass" line, Tenshinhan asks him, "Is that OK?"Vegeta: As a matter of fact, go f*ck yourself.
- That video was alluded to earlier in the series, in episode 36, when after mocking Vegeta's "pure, unadulterated badass" line, Tenshinhan asks him, "Is that OK?"
- In the #CellGames episode featuring Deadpool, Cell asks him if his entire schtick is being "lol random". The titular character of The Unbelievable Gwenpool complained that this was the reason she never read him.
- When Deadpool reveals that he was hired to take Cell down, he holds up a picture to prove his point, but the picture is actually of Meruem from Hunter × Hunter.
- In Episode 59, it's shown that Videl is a fan of Harry Potter.
- In "The Plan to Eradicate Christmas", Vegeta quotes John McClane.Yippie-ki-yay, MOTHERFUCKER!
- In Episode 60, Goku claims that everything is going according to cake.Translator's note: "cake" means "keikaku"Translator's note: "keikaku" means "plan"
- It's a bit botched due to what Cell's about, but he drops this one when Gohan explains how he's going to kill him. And it seems Gohan is even trying to correct him.Perfect Cell: At first you had my curiosity... but now, you have my erection.
Gohan: You mean your attent-
Perfect Cell: You all know what I'm about!
- When Cell starts spawning Cell Jr's, Krillin drops the obvious:Krillin: Life, uh, finds a way.
- In the same episode, Cell says "In the end, it didn't even matter"
- Moments earlier, Gohan says, " I'm one step closer to the edge, and I'm about to...!" Referencing One Step Closer. There were a lot of Linkin Park AMVs.
- When Android 16 grabs Cell and prepares to detonate his nuclear Self-Destruct Mechanism to take out Cell, Mr. Satan exclaims "Find me a bomb shelter! NO, A FRIDGE"
- When Android 16's Self-Destruct Mechanism fails to go off, he asks "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be a Cell-shattering kaboom!"
- After the Cell Junior, Norio, evades Krillin's attack:
- For the last time, Krillin's not an Oompa-Loompa.
- As Cell bloats up in preparation to self-destruct, he warns Gohan that anything could set him off — even a wafer-thin mint.
- When Cell is finally defeated for good, a "Dramatic Finish" tag from Dragon Ball Fighter Z appears.
- Krillin refers to Trunks as "McFly" as he departs back to....well, you know...
- The radio host's "final" broadcast when the Androids attack him ends with a voiceclip that "Tonight, we dine in he-"
- Shortly after the title character of Super Android 13 is activated, he asks where his trucker hat is. A brief banjo rendition of "The Imperial Death March" plays as a mechanical arm places said hat on his head.
- In Episode 60 Part 2, Goku mentally sings "Senzu beans are gonna heal ya" to the tune of this Juicy Fruit gum commercial jingle.
- It's a bit botched due to what Cell's about, but he drops this one when Gohan explains how he's going to kill him. And it seems Gohan is even trying to correct him.
Shout Out / Dragon Ball Z Abridged