Stock Phrase used when someone comments on another one's bad breath. Variants to the phrase can include brushing your teeth, or with mouthwash.
- Cited in a commercial for CreditStinks.com. "If someone told you you had bad breath, you'd brush your teeth."
- Tic Tac candies had a long-running series of ads featuring someone or something with horrible breath that frightened everyone around them before someone said "Dude! Tic Tac!" and offered them a mint.
- Unspoken, but strongly implied, in an Orbit gum commercial set during a zombie apocalypse.
- An Invoked Trope in numerous mouthwash commercials as late as the 90s.
- Tai in the Digimon Adventure movie makes a remark about Koromon's breath after he kisses him.
- Digimon Adventure 02:
- David and Veemon both say Tortomon has bad breath after he pants near them from exhaustion.
- Later, with Arukenimon and Mummymon after he attempts to kiss her only to be swatted in the face by her:
Arukenimon: Anyone ever tell you you have bad breath?!
Mummymon: Why, that's impossible. I believe I brushed my teeth at least a year ago.
- Takato from the dubbed version of Digimon Tamers mutters in his sleep "bad breath" after sleeping directly next to Guilmon's mouth. The original version didn't have Takato or Guilmon saying anything during this scene.
- Happy Heroes: In Season 8 episode 6, Huo Haha has a rancid smell coming out of his mouth and he apologizes to Big M. since he ate garlic earlier. Later in the same episode, Smart S. notices the smell, and Huo Haha apologizes again, realizing too late that he also forgot to brush his teeth. This second instance distracts Huo for long enough to give Careful S. a chance to grab the fire wand from him.
Smart S.: Who ate a lot of garlic?!
- Christopher Titus: "And Jesus, you need a Tic-Tac."
- Jeff Dunham:
Peanut: [to Jeff] Dude, you need a Tic-Tac. Don't you know what you breath smells like?
Peanut: Dun-ham!! Dot com!
- George Carlin:
Carlin: No one is safe from halitosis; dad's got a little problem but his problem seems to be more paranoia than halitosis.
Dad: (as played by Carlin) Mark, I don't know what it is...what I mean to say is that I don't know what it is. But I just can't seem to get close enough to make a sale. Now do you think that I could have (forceably) BAAAD BREEAATH??
Mark: (Carlin again; coughs) It's possible, dad. You wilt the dandruff. You should try Listerine.
Dad: Mr. Clean?!
Mark: Listerine! Listerine kills germs!
Dad: What have germs go to do with bad breath?
Mark: Silly, germs have bad breath!
- Parodied in Le Petit Spirou, where the chronic general failure that is the P.E. teacher freshens his breath with a deodorant spray and his armpits with Tic Tac mints.
- In The Bad Eggs, Furman the Proto-Human tells Ript that his breath doesn't "smell like a field of lilacs" when the raptor tries to eat him, and after Ript remarks that the Proto-Humans smell like shit.
- In Rexodus, when Amber first meets Kelvin, she thinks he's just an animatronic. It isn't until after she notices and comments on his bad breath and drool that she begins to realize he's real.
- In Elephantmen, Tusk saves an old woman from drowning and holds her in front of his face. Although she thanks him for saving her, she mentions how he has terrible bad breath as well.
- In Uncanny X-Men #423, Jubilee's response to being told by Wolverine that she was just revived after being crucified, is "You ever hear the words Mouth Wash?" In his review, Linkara responds with "You ever hear you just came back from the dead and no one is the slightest bit overjoyed or asking about the theological implications of all this?" Well, it is the X-Men.
- In Violine, Violine tells the captain of the oil tanker to "clean his tanker" when smelling his breath, after remarking on the smell of the oil tanker itself.
- The Powerpuff Girls: In "Pizza My Heart" (issue #41), Buttercup is addicted to garlic. Her garlic breath causes everyone—even an invading monster—to evade her. When an invading dragon steals her garlic necklace, she tries to attack and is knocked into a formula vat at a mouthwash factory. Buttercup defeats the dragon with refreshed breath and comes to her senses.
- Implied in the final Marvel issue of Mighty Mouse. A typical episode of the show is being filmed at CBS studios with Scrappy Mouse filling in for Pearl Pureheart (who is boycotting the rest of the issue because of the appearance of Andrew "Mice" Clay"). The director (a caricature of series producer Ralph Bakshi) gives instructions:
Director: Okay, we'll pick it up with the scene of Mighty and Pearl's kiss.
Mighty Mouse: What? I flossed.
- In the one-shot humor issue The Fantastic Four Roast, Ben "The Thing" Grimm says that there's only one person besides Reed with enough on the ball to sabotage the ceremony—Dr. Doom.
Dr. Doom: (approaching the dias) WRONG, Camel Breath!!
- 9 Chickweed Lane
Seth's Boyfriend: I'd be more inclined to dish the dirt if you'd stop lunching on garlic pizza.
- A Garfield strip shows Garfield wondering how to tell Jon that he has bad breath. He approaches him carrying a breath mint that's bigger then he is and offers it to him. Other strips have jokes either on Odie's breath, or Garfield distressing his house mates after eating something particularly vile.
- In Pokémon Reset Bloodlines, Clair apparently has gotten a bit of a reputation of this due to the fact she likes eating garlic, though these are mostly rumors spread by challengers who lose to her (and Whitney).
- There are dozens of characters from What Lies Beyond the Walls who have horrible breath, and many characters outright tell them so. Even some of the hares in the Long Patrol (who are usually clean) care little about their oral hygiene.
- The Leopard from Animals United, whom Charles knows is a carnivore after being grossed out by his "unpleasant breath."
- Subverted in Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas, when Santa yawns in Louie's face, causing him to recoil. He suddenly says that his breath smells like peppermint and mocha.
- Timon tells Simba in The Lion King 1½ to aim his foul morning breath in a different direction after he yawns in his face.
- When Crash and Eddie from Ice Age 2: The Meltdown try to save an unconscious Sid from drowning, one of them grabs him by the mouth and opens it, causing one of them to say, "You really need to brush."
- Nonverbal, but Darwin in Rugrats Go Wild! clearly can't stand Spike's breath when he's yelling at him, and repeatedly waves a hand in front of his face and tries to get away from him.
- Shrek, after Shrek roars at Donkey to try and scare him, Donkey says the page quote above. Inverted when Donkey woos Dragon, where he instead comments there is a minty freshness.
- In Hoodwinked!, the Wolf is poorly impersonating Red Puckett's grandmother. As she pokes holes in his disguise, he gets up close to her and makes a last-ditch effort to get answers out of her, prompting Red to respond, "Oh, Granny! What bad breath you have!"
- Master Shifu in Kung Fu Panda tells Po not to stand so close to him so he won't smell his breath.
- The wolf in The Rugrats Movie is stalking Angelica and Spike. Angelica, oblivious to the wolf, smells its breath and thinks it's from Spike. Spike notices the vicious wolf, and quickly manages to drag the unsuspecting Angelica out of the wolf's clutches.
- The Princess and the Frog has this exchange:
Louis: You okay, li'l bug?
Ray: I'm fine. Just your breath done near killed me to death.
- Happens subtly in Roadside Romeo, when Romeo gets a whiff of Chhainu's breath and waves a paw in front of his nose.
- In Treasure Planet, we get Jim doing this while Mr. Scroop is trying to scare him into minding his own business.
Jim: Too bad my nose is working just fine.
- In Toy Story 2, while trying to sneak past a sleeping Al, Woody ends up standing in front of his face right as he burps, making Woody gag.
- During "Fixer Upper" in Frozen the trolls mention how Kristoff always ends up sort of smelly no matter how well he washes (word of Jennifer Lee is that he reeks of Sven) as they ask Anna what's turning her off from dating him. Earlier, when Kristoff and Anna first meet at Wandering Oaken's Trading Post & Sauna, Kristoff gets up close to Anna (as he's trying to get some carrots from a shelf Anna is standing in front of) and she almost promptly turns her head away from him as if reacting to the smell.
- Wreck-It Ralph: While not word-for-word, Vanellope, King Candy, and Sour Bill have commented on Ralph's halitosis. Especially Sour Bill, right after Ralph puts him in his mouth. And King Candy notably calls him an "halitosis-ridden warthog".
- In Code Name The Cleaner, Jake tells the Big Bad that his breath "smells like ass" after he angrily demands information from him.
- Children of Men: Patric of the Fishes attempts to intimidate Theo in the van by describing how theyll be watching him constantly. Theo, whose head is under a bag, simply replies Jesus, your breath stinks. To which Patric, taken aback, lamely replies no it doesnt.
- Holly from Die Hard 2 advises Dick Thornburg to use stronger mouthwash after he gets too close to her a few times.
- Steven from Primeval offers Jojo Tic-Tacs as a friendly gesture. He later tells Tim that he did it only because his breath was bad.
- In Marmaduke (and in the novel), the titular dog exhales in Mazie's face, causing her to back away and tell him that he has garbage breath.
- In Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties, the titular cat runs into Prince towards the end of the movie and thinks he's merely looking at a reflection of himself, leading to a Mirror Routine. He finds out that his "reflection" is actually a different cat when he exhales in Prince's face, which causes him to faint.
- Pirates of the Caribbean:
- Subverted with the Kraken in the second film. A few people mentioned that the monster had horrible breath, but after it roars in Captain Jack Sparrow's face, he simply shudders and mutters, "Not so bad."
- Then again, Jack himself has really bad breath. In the same movie, Elizabeth reacts to it. In the third movie, Jack manages to weaponize it, exhaling directly into Will's face with breath so bad that it makes Will pass out.
- Godzilla from Godzilla (1998), after he roars in Nick's face.
- Lucky from the first Dr. Dolittle film, after he barks next to Rodney.
Rodney: You know, a Tic-Tac wouldn't kill ya.
- In Theodore Rex, Katie remarks about Theodore's bad breath several times. At one point she even squirted breath spray in his mouth.
- After one of the demons in Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed roars in Velma's face, she responds by saying it has a great mask, but bad breath.
- In The Enforcer, Harry Callahan tells Lieutenant Briggs, after Briggs gives Harry a too close dressing down, "Your mouthwash ain't cutting it".
- The Big Bad in Good Burger threatens Ed while standing too close to his face. Ed calmly tells him afterwards that he needs a Tic-Tac.
- Eddie Murphy's character does this to a biker in The Golden Child:
Chandler Jarrell: Hey, hey, hey... In my pocket, there's a whole thing of Tic-Tacs. Take as many as you want.
- Draco from Dragonheart, when Bowen says that his breath is foul after sitting in his mouth for several hours.
- The wyvern from the Syfy Channel Original Movie Wyvern. One of the characters makes a comment about a horrible smell in the air after it roars for a rather long time inside the bar she and other characters are hiding in.
- Pacific Rim: One blooper had Newt commenting on Hermann's bad breath.
- Weaponized bad breath also occurs in Blazing Saddles, with Gabby Johnson during the big brawl in Rock Ridge.
- Émile in La Cité de la peur
"Take a piece of gum, Émile."
- The Big Red One. The Sarge gets snogged by a German doctor while held prisoner in Tunis. Sarge chokes him until he desists.
Sarge: I can understand you being horny, Fritz, but you've got bad breath.
- Captain Frye from The Green Ember. In The Last Archer, he gets too close to Wilfred Longtreader and insults him. Wilfred calmly and snidely tells him that he has foul breath afterwards.
- Foremole in Mariel of Redwall jokingly tells Burgo that his garlic breath is so strong that he could slay enemies with it.
- Lask Frildur (and his Monitor lizards) from Pearls of Lutra. Nonverbal though since anyone who actually smelled Lask's breath simply scowled and turned their head away.
- Eefera from Taggerung after he eats wild ramsons. Vallug Bowbeast jokes that his breath is so bad that he could climb into Redwall and knock out the guards just by breathing on them.
- Diggs from The Sable Quean, after he eats wild ramsons. Ambrevina was so grossed out by his breath that she told him to wash out his mouth or else she'd leave him behind and travel alone.
- Tavi to Ambassador Varg in Codex Alera. Made more badass by their relative size difference, the fact that Tavi had assumed a command that he didn't have, Tavi's total lack of magical protection, and so he put a knife to Varg's throat and then insulted him. Retrospectively, Varg knew from that encounter that Tavi was a Gaius.
- In one Captain Underpants book, George and Harold rearrange the letters on a sign so that instead of "Have a Blissfully Grand Retirement, Ms. Ribble" it says "Ms. Ribble Really Needs A Breath Mint".
- In Disgusting McGrossface, the boy says, "Ever heard of toothpaste?!" when commenting on Disgusting's bad breath.
- During a protest on Community:
Abed: Conflicts like this will ultimately bring us together as an unlikely family.
Troy: You have horrible breath right now.
- In Flashpoint, during a practice takedown, the "suspect" jokes that Sam's breath needs to be classified as less-lethal (they're old army buddies).
- Shake it Up: Flynn says this to Deuce when the latter growls in his face while in their zombie costumes.
Deuce: You know? You could really use some lotion!
Flynn: And you could really use a mint.
- In one episode of NCIS, a suspect's repeat offender breath makes Ziva request mints.
- In the House episode "House Divided", Cuddy is trying to sober up House's team.
Cuddy: Wait! Everyone's getting breath mints!
- In an episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Salem is looking up a bunch of his old girlfriends, but each one turns out to have some flaw or bad habit that made him break up with them. At one point, he can't remember why he dumped "Hallie", but on meeting her realizes it was short for Halitosis.
- In Breaking Bad, Hank and his partner bicker over the name of an upcoming drug bust. Hank wants to call it "Operation Icebreaker", which his partner points out is the name of a brand of breath mints. Hank says "I'm thinking 'Operation Breath Mint' every time you and me are on a stake out together, all right? Breath could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- In "Prophecy Girl".
Master: Did you really think you could best me here when you couldn't below?
Buffy: You have fruit-punch mouth.
- In "As You Were" Buffy is on the way home from her shift at a Greasy Spoon when a vampire tries to eat her, only to back off because she smells terrible. Buffy naturally takes offense. "You're dead! You smell like it! How do you get to say I'm the one who's stinky?"
- In "Prophecy Girl".
- Forever Knight. Nick enters vampire/goth hangout The Raven. A vampire on the dance floor shows the Vampire Detective his fangs.
Nick: Immortality's no excuse not to floss.
- On The Tonight Show, Johnny Carson would run down a legitimate list of things from a given subject, followed by Ed McMahon stating that he's covered just about every thing we wanted to know about it. Johnny would then retort "You are wrong, (derogatory adjective) breath!"
- Victorious: The song "Take A Hint" has the lyric:
I am not your missing link
Let me tell you what I think
I think you could use a mint...
Take a hint, take a hint!
- In the music video for Will Smith's "Men in Black", a rather ugly alien roars right in K's face. No words are said, but the hand waving gesture K/Will Smith makes illustrates the intent of the phrase.
- Done by country music parodist Cledus T. Judd in "Breath", a takeoff of Faith Hill's "Breathe":
'''Cause I can smell your breath
It's gagging me to death
Something must have died inside of you
What you ought to do
Is chase a Cert or two
- The Madvillain song "Operation Lifesaver AKA Mint Test" is about Doom going out with a cute girl with really bad breath.
- Played for Laughs in "Chanson dégueulasse" (literally "gross song") by French singer Renaud. It is about the love story between Hugues (who suffers from an extremely bad breath) and Julie (who has really stinking feet).
- This lyric in Bowling For Soup's "Sometimes":
We made out at the show
I think I should let you know
That you could sure use a breath mint...
- In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Petuni makes a remark saying that Bowser is a scary "Giant Bad Breath Monster." There's also the putrid piranhas, who appear throughout the series. Their breath is so foul that it's used as an attack that can poison Mario. Goombella responds with "Breath Mint, table four!"
- A couple of the characters in the Jak and Daxter series, most of which involve Daxter telling said person about their breath.
- In Ratchet: Deadlocked, Gleeman Vox laughs airily in Ratchet's face, prompting him to wave a hand in front of his nose.
- Sly Cooper:
- In Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, Bently insults Muggshot by saying he gargled with raw sewage overnight. Muggshot doesn't even try to deny it, stating that the smell of his breath helps him maintain his "personal space."
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time has Carmelita getting into a shooting competition with Red-Eye the coyote. Before the competition starts, he tells her that if she loses, she has to kiss him, and Carmelita says his breath smells like fermented gym socks.
- Pox from Destroy All Humans! mentions that the Blisk aliens have "withering halitosis." The first game also has Armquist. If Crypto reads a soldier's thoughts during the Capitol City level, sometimes this will pop up:
Soldier: Man, Armquist's breath really stinks! But he's so dreamy...
- Nonverbal it may be, but Amaterasu is clearly thinking this when she gets a faceful of Mr. Orange's sake breath in Ōkami.
- In The Secret of Monkey Island, Guybrush can't even talk to the prisoner in the town jail until he find some breath mints, the poor guy's halitosis is so bad (it apparently stems from not being fed regularly and being forced to feed on rats).
- In Tales of Monkey Island, when Le Chuck asks Guybrush for hints on solving a puzzle, the latter has the option of saying to eat breath mints. Le Chuck appears not to realize the point.
- In MOTHER 3, when Kumatora first meets Duster, she suddenly approaches his face. After a few moments she backs away and comments "his breath kinda stinks".
- Primordial Serpent Kingseeker Frampt of Dark Souls apparently has terrible breath according to the Crestfallen Warrior. And he transports you in his mouth... Justified in his case, since you have the option of offering him Dung Piles in exchange for an amazing 200 souls. One can only imagine how many travelers have given him piles of shit to eat for such a great bargain...
- Knights of the Old Republic:
- Mission comments her best-buddy Zaalbar has dog breath.
Mission: The Vulkar was so scared, he fainted. Either that, or Big Z's breath just knocked him out. I keep telling Zaalbar to brush those choppers of his, but he never listens. Just stay upwind when he's talking and you'll be fine.
- Also applies to the PC -if you believe Jolee Bindo, anyway:
- Mission comments her best-buddy Zaalbar has dog breath.
- Hawkgirl uses this to taunt Lex Luthor in Injustice: Gods Among Us when he starts a Clash:
Lex Luthor: I could use that belt!note
Hawkgirl: Or a breath mint.
- Eddie's reaction to meeting the Lamprey in Brütal Legend:
Lamprey: [screams at Eddie]
Eddie: Ugh! Smells like a whale... ate some cabbage... then died in your mouth... like a year ago!
- In one Loserz strip, Ben remarks that Jodie's breath smells like penis and offers her a mint.
- The Basic Instructions page How to deal with somebody who has bad breath suggests offering a mint for hinting someone about the problem.
- Sydney Scoville of Grrl Power likes food that starts at Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce and goes up on the Scoville scale from there. Her breath hits people like tear gas... when they're standing in the alley outside the building she's eating lunch in. The breath mint thing ends up being doctor's orders.
- Legatum: A lot of characters in the franchise don't seem to care much about oral hygiene, which many people comment upon.
- Some of the main characters in Smirvlak's Stone (most notably the Corveel brothers) aren't fond of hygiene—oral or otherwise. It doesn't take much for any of the side characters to openly tell them that their breath smells awful.
- Marrox from The Green Wanderer wastes no time mocking a drako after he gets too close to his face.
Gilennes: Mmm... that orc stench. So sweaty and manly... I love it.
Marrox: Mmf... that drako breath. Smells of brimstone and hot carrion. I adore it so much it's making me physically ill.
- Help Not Wanted: Someone at some point makes a comment to each of the four goblins about their foul breath. Chapter 1 in particular has Grovmar telling his older brother that his morning breath smelled worse than the pile of trash they were sleeping in.
- The Road to Hell...: Multiple characters have commented that King Chorn Torgash has awful breath. Krun goes as far as telling the orc that he'd be fine having his nose cut off just so he doesn't have to smell his breath anymore.
- Scrambled Egg has Sonya snarkily telling Trellorv that his breath stinks of rot.
- Pinot Noir has Pinot and Big D both telling Greta that she needs a breath mint. The latter outright tried to give her one in chapter 6.
- Carson the crocodile from The Pirates Covered in Fur. His friends and his girlfriend repeatedly poke fun at his bad breath, and it gets to a point where he manages to weaponize it against a wolf.
- Tails Series:
- Rast, Seamus, and Douglas from Tails of Fame all have foul breath, which multiple characters openly say to their faces. Rast in particular, cannot even kiss someone because his breath stinks of cheese and garlic.
- Tails of the Bounty Hunter has Cale tomlik, whom multiple people have said has got bad breath due to his rotting gums.
- Tails of the Space Gladiators has David telling Unklok that he needs him to either give him some space or to eat breath mints after David gets blasted by Unklok's rancid breath.
- Maximus Slade from T.O.T. has horrible breath, and several characters in the story either joke or openly tell him how much his breath stinks.
Maximus: How long did it take you to buy all this black clothing and ski masks?
Toby: UGH! A lot longer than it took for you to brush your teeth this morning!
- Jonny from Ed, Edd n Eddy, after he's force-fed anchovies, belches loudly in Ed's face. Ed then waves a hand in front of his nose before saying, "Low tide!"
- Wildmutt from Ben 10, after he lands in front of Gwen in the pilot episode.
Gwen: Ew! Two words: breath mints!
- Mr. Herriman in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends gets a whiff of Bloo's morning breath, which smells so foul he demands Bloo brush his teeth as soon as possible.
- Set from Tutenstein, after disgusting Tut by yawning in his face.
- Beast Wars:
- The episode "The Low Road" has this exchange between Dinobot and Rattrap:
Dinobot: Wait! I detect a scent! Vile corruption... a whiff of festering putrification!
Rattrap: So I ate a limburger sandwich for lunch! I'm a rat, gimme a break!
Dinobot: I've been... uncomfortably aware of your stench for the past hour, vermin.
- And then later, from the same episode:
Dinobot: Unlike you, I do not spend my time scurrying through sewers!
Rattrap: Yeah? Well, a sewer smells better than your breath, bronto-brain!
- The episode "The Low Road" has this exchange between Dinobot and Rattrap:
- Danny Phantom:
- In the episode "Parental Bonding", Sam (after she transformed into the Ghost Dragon) breaths her fiery breath at Danny. Although he dodges the attack, he still catches wind of her breath.
Danny: Whoa, Sam! Two words: breath mints.
- Used again in "Public Enemies", when he's captured by Walker.
Walker: [holding him by the neck] By the time I'm done with you, you'll be begging for the safety of your jail cell!
Danny: The only thing I'm begging for is for you to seriously consider using some mouthwash!
- In the episode "Parental Bonding", Sam (after she transformed into the Ghost Dragon) breaths her fiery breath at Danny. Although he dodges the attack, he still catches wind of her breath.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In "Bridle Gossip", when the entire town seems to be deserted, Spike asks if his breath smells, with the obvious implication. Twilight's reply is a casual "No worse than usual."
- In "A Dog and Pony Show", Rarity questions a foul odor in the air after the Diamond Dogs' leader, Rover, yells at her. She quickly figures out the answer.
- And this moment from "May The Best Pet Win!":
Applejack: Does [Rainbow Dash] really understand what a pet really needs?
Twilight: Yeah, like care and attention, love and affection...
[Winona licks her face]
Twilight: UGH! And breath mints!
- One distinctive feature of the Timber Wolves — wolves made out of logs and branches — is their rancid breath.
- In "The End in Friend", Rarity and Rainbow Dash encounter a large, frog-like creature called a bufogren while looking for the Amulet of Aurora, and try to learn where the amulet went from it. The issue is that the beast has terrible halitosis, bad enough that Rarity and Rainbow are visibly nauseated from being in its proximity. Rarity has to create an improvised batch of toothpaste out of a specific plant and a small cloud to clean its breath before they can continue talking to it.
- Howie from Almost Naked Animals, after he and Octo are roped together in "Cowboy Cabana".
Howie: One of us could really use a breath mint.
[Howie sniffs twice]
Howie: Yeeeeah, that's me.
- Looney Tunes:
- In the short "Pigs in a Polka", The Big Bad Wolf blows on the third pig's door three times in an effort to blow his brick house down. One of the pigs offers the wolf a bottle of mouthwash, which he promptly slaps away.
- The same thing happens in "A Gander at Mother Goose", except that the wolf responds with a combined reference to The Fred Allen Show and a tag line from an old Listerine commercial:
Big Bad Wolf: Why don't some of my best friends tell me these things?
- In "Wild and Woolly Hare", Yosemite Sam gets too close to Bugs Bunny as he talks, and Bugs responds with "You've been eating onions."
- In the Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness episode "Mama Told Me Not to Kung Fu", Po and Heilang get into a fight at close range and the former starts to slowly shove the latter backwards. Then this happens:
Heilang: You must be the Dragon Warrior.
Po: And you must be... not a fan of brushing your teeth. Ugh, seriously, what's the point in being invisible if I can find you by smell?
- "The Incredible Shrinking Dinosaurs" episode from Extreme Dinosaurs has Bullzeye saying this to Haxx after he's released from his mouth:
Bullzeye: UGH! What do you use for mouthwash: rotten eggs?
- Jacala from the 2010 version of The Jungle Book. In "The Tooth Of The Matter", Mowgli asks Jacala to open his mouth so he can remove a sore tooth. Cue Mowgli groaning and plugging his nose after getting blasted in the face with the crocodile's breath.
- Mr. Whiskers in Brandy & Mr. Whiskers. Not only have characters commented about his breath, but he managed to kill a flower with it. Whiskers lampshades this with Ed in the same episode after realizing many animals are avoiding them. When Ed exhales in Whisker's face, his fur falls out.
- In the Dinosaur Train episode "T. Rex Teeth", Tiny whispers to Buddy that Dolores' breath smells awful. Buddy thinks it's because she ate carrion, and after he eats some and exhales in Tiny's face, she confesses that his breath smells too.
- The Static Shock episode "Static Shaq" has Shaq saying this to Ferret when he tried to bite him:
Shaq: I've got one word for you: mouthwash!
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The episode "Something Smells" centers around Spongebob having rancid breath. However everyone around him runs away (or dies in some cases) as opposed to telling him he needs a breath mint. Spongebob does tell Patrick though, when he also gets bad breath near the end.
- Also this exchange from "Hooky":
Mr. Krabs: [yelling in random guy's face] THE HOOKS! THE HOOKS!
Random Guy: [grimaces; takes out mint] How 'bout a mint?
- Triton gets disgusted over SpongeBob's breath as the latter talks to the former.
- Nina from Camp Lazlo offers Chip and Skip after-dinner mints after smelling their breath on her date with them.
- The Amazing World of Gumball.
- Tina. Penny, jealous that Gumball didn't choose her for a date to Rachel's party, tells Gumball that she didn't realize he likes "lizard breath." Cue Tina sniffing her breath and then looking embarrassed.
- Earlier, in the episode "The Ghost", Gumball drinks a disgusting blend of slop so he'll have nasty breath and gross out Carrie. He grosses out everyone but her, because it smelled like death.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender does this during the "Ember Island Players" episode:
Actor Sokka: You're the only girl who's ever managed to take my mind off food. Did you have pickled fish for dinner?
Actor Yue: I must go, Sokka. I have important moon duties to attend to. And yes. I did have pickled fish for dinner.
- Turbo Dogs
- The episode "Turbo Toothache" has GT eating part of an onion in an attempt to soothe his sore tooth. After that doesn't work, Strut comes along and asks him to open his mouth so he can see what's wrong. You can see where this is going.
- Earlier in "Stink Positive", Stinkbert blows up a balloon and gives it to Dash, advising him not to let it pop. Dash quickly plugs his nose and groans, saying he "wouldn't dream of it."
- A Halloween Episode of My Gym Partner's a Monkey has Jake commenting on an old custodian's bad breath.
- Arthur, in a conversation between Binky and George about creating a new language:
Binky: Guess what this means. [belches in George's face]
George: Ugh! "I want a breath mint"?
- In Doug's fantasy, Roger, portrayed as Klotzilla, carries Patti hostage and roars in Patti's face. The latter responds by throwing a whole pack of breath mints down Klotzilla's throat.
- Tuff Puppy:
Kitty: My claws are registered as deadly weapons!
Dudley: Maybe you should register your breath!
- The Flash when he and the Justice League face the fire-breathing Hades:
Flash: Whoo, someone get this guy a breath mint!
- In the Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones? episode "Cube Wars", after Lenny Yogman gets too close to his brother Denny, Denny tells him to eat a breath mint.
- During an attack on an underwater villain base on Teen Titans, Beast Boy at one point transports the team by turning into a whale and having them hop in his mouth. After he spits them back out, Raven does the "Two words: breath mints" bit.
- The Fairly OddParents:
Timmy: [after coughing up the garbage he had swallowed] Oh, man! That's totally gross! [coughs up Cosmo]
- Happens after Timmy tries to snorkel deep in the water and ends up coughing up a bunch of garbage... along with Cosmo in his goldfish form.
Cosmo: You think that's gross? Have you smelled the inside of your mouth? Two words: Mouthwash.
Wanda: Uh, that's one word.
Cosmo: Then I'll say it twice: Mouthwash! Mouthwash!
- In "The Fairy Flu", Cosmo and Wanda contract the titular disease, which causes things to randomly transform when they sneeze. Long story short, they get cured just as Vicky (who has been turned into a fire-breathing dragon) is about to blow fire in Timmy's face, and they transform her back just in time, so all that Vicky does once she's human again is roar in Timmy's face. Timmy has an opinion about that:
Timmy: [sniffs Vicky's breath after she roars] Halitosis.
- One episode has Mr. Crocker finally managing to capture fairies, disguising themselves as gumballs, in his mouth. This is to their horror as his breath is terrible. When they're free to take their retribution on him before erasing his memory, one of the bearings involves force feeding him mouthwash.
- Kaeloo: In the episode "Let's Play Doctors and Nurses", Bad Kaeloo lifts Mr. Cat by the neck and roars in his face. He then remarks about her breath:
Mr. Cat: [looking in her mouth] Is there a skunk in there?
- One of the teachers at the titular All-Ghouls School of Gravedale High was a mummy with bad breath named Mr. Tutner. A minor running gag had the other characters make remarks about his halitosis.
- Not surprisingly, Dr. Robotnik in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is confirmed to have pretty bad breath in some episodes, such as "Hedgehog of the Hound Table".
Robotnik: WHIP UP A MAGICAL SPELL AND TURN MERLYNX BACK TO NORMAL!
Grounder: Yes, Your Bad Breathness!
- Noah says as such to Ezekiel in Total Drama World Tour, after the latter brags about never ending up in the economy class.
Ezekiel: We should hit the winner's compartment, eh. 'Cause I ain't never gonna sit back here, ha! Never!
Noah: Is "never" your policy on mouthwash too, homeschool?
- Bill Dauterive in King of the Hill in addition to being overweight, has terrible body odor, and balding.
- In the Rocket Power episode "Outta My Pit!", Lars orders the gang to leave their new hangout so he and his friends can takeover it. As he's challenging them, Otto tells Lars, "First, I suggest you brush your teeth". This is followed by Lars checking his breath and his friends recoling from the smell.
- In one episode of American Dragon: Jake Long, Jake's dragon breath starts powering up. The result of this is horrid breath that at one point causes one of his classmates to stuff an entire container's worth of breath mint's into his mouth while commenting on it.
- In The Simpsons episode "Barting Over", Bart gets legally emancipated from his parents after learning that when he was a baby, Homer put him in an embarrassing series of mouthwash ads where he played "Baby Stink-Breath", and subsequently squandered what should have been Bart's royalties.
- An episode of Clue Club had D.D. and Pepper eating cloves of garlic to ward off a vampire chasing them. D.D. says "H-h-h-h-hello, there!" and Pepper says "h-h-h-h-h-hi, h-h-h-h-h-handsome!" to the vampire, causing him to wilt and run away. As a gag, Pepper does this to the dogs Woofer and Wimper, who melt to the ground from repulsion.
- Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa had this memorable exchange in the episode "Thoroughly Moodern Lily".
Sheriff Terrorbull: Watch your mouth!Cowlarado Kid: Phew! Brush your teeth!