A 2010 film in which the Winslow family moves to California with their "large yet lovable" one-dog wrecking crew Great Dane.
Marmaduke (voiced by Owen Wilson) is a huge, obliviously reckless, dopey Great Dane who loves his owners the Phil and Debbie Winslow (Lee Pace and Judy Greer) and their three kids. When Phil gets a job from his boss Don Twombly (William H. Macy), the family moves from Kansas to Orange County, California. Marmaduke is forced to adjust to his new surroundings. From doggy surfing, falling in love with a beautiful lassie, to getting stuck in a sewer trying to save his friends butt. Funny, family friendly movie for dog lovers alike. Follow Marmaduke in his quest to fit in. What could go wrong?The film also features the voices of George Lopez, Emma Stone, Fergie, Steve Coogan and Kiefer Sutherland.
Marmaduke provides examples of:
- An Aesop:
- Marmaduke shouldn't lie and he should've got with Mazie because First Girl Wins, not Richest Girl.
- Also at the end, Phil realizes that being "Top Dog" doesn't mean getting others (ESPECIALLY Marmaduke) to listen to him all the time. It means looking out for his family.
- Animal Talk: The animals can talk to each other and to their owners, but the humans can't understand what they're saying.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Giuseppe describes the pedigrees as rich, spoiled, and they act like their fleas dont bite.
- Artistic License Biology: In their introductory scene, Raisin tells Giuseppe that there aren't any mountain lions in Southern California, except, in reality, there are.
- Beta Couple: Phil's daughter Barbara and her crush Bodie to Marmaduke and his crush.
- Betty and Veronica: The tomboy collie (Mazie) or the posh dog who serves as alpha female (Jezebel).
- Big Bad: Bosco is the violent leader of the pedigrees who repeatedly bullies the titular Marmaduke for not fitting in.
- The Bully: Bosco loves to pick on Marmaduke.
- Canon Foreigner: Everyone in this movie except for Marmaduke, Carlos, and the Winslow family.
- A Cat in a Gang of Dogs: Carlos.
- Cats Are Snarky: Carlos.
- Chekhov's Gun: Marmaduke's fear of bees. Let's just say that Bosco shares the same problem at the end of the film.
- Circling Monologue: Bosco gives one to Marmaduke during their first encounter.
- Dance Party Ending
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: When Marmaduke thinks he'll fit in at the dog park just fine:Marmaduke: Now, that is a pretty good — [A bee lands on his nose] BEE!!!
- Exiled to the Couch: Marmaduke's owner Phil gets angry at Marmaduke for trashing the place and throws him outside in the rain, blaming him for all of his misfortunes. His wife, however, is displeased with this and says that Marmaduke was just a dog and doesn't know any better. In the end, she says "You want him in the backyard? Fine. He may have the backyard... but you have the couch."
- Evil Is Bigger: Averted with Bosco, who is a head smaller than Marmaduke. Some of the pedigrees are a bit larger than him, too.
- Fantastic Racism: Bosco and his gang look down on any dog that isn't a pedigree.
- First Girl Wins: Marmaduke gets together with Mazie in the end.
- Gasshole: Marmaduke.
- Glad I Thought of It: Marmaduke tells Jezebel that Mazie's dinner idea was his own despite Mazie saying that it was her idea in the first place.
- HeelFace Turn: All the pedigrees, even Thunder and Lightning, turn on Bosco in the end, recognizing Marmaduke as the new leader.
- High School A.U.: Not popular with anyone, to put it mildly.
- Hollywood, California: The movie takes place mostly in "Orange County".
- Incoming Ham: When the pedigrees are being introduced:Mazie: Well, if you think you got the game, you could roll with our crew.
Marmaduke: Oh, yeah? Who's your crew?
Thunder and Lightning: MUTTS! [laugh hysterically]
Mazie: He's super jealous, so stay away from [Jezebel] or he'll turn you into —
- And again when Marmaduke first meets Bosco:
Bosco: Dog food! [Appears before them]
- Liar Revealed: Marmaduke lies about who he is in order to gain popularity and thus everyone deserts him.
- Live-Action Adaptation
- Mister Muffykins:
- Bosco's two Miniature Pinscher twin friends, Thunder and Lightning are this, until their HeelFace Turn.
- Barbara Winslow's group of friends each have purse chihuahuas who seem to come off as this.
- Must Make Amends: After messing up big time, Marmaduke runs away... but not before arranging for Phil to listen to what his kids want and trying to make up with Mazie.
- Nervous Wreck: Giuseppe the Chinese Crested dog. He even says that the dance machine Marmaduke broke was the only thing he wasn't afraid of.
- The Nicknamer: Bosco. His nicknames are mostly directed at Marmaduke, calling him names like "Marmapuke" or "Marmafake". There's also "Big-Ears" to count.
- Record Needle Scratch: Played when Marmaduke is introduced.
- Shamed by a Mob: Marmaduke after Bosco reveals that he was a fake.
- The Smart Guy: Raisin the British dachshund.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: A little Jack Russel terrier chirps like a gopher to show he can, and Bosco neighs like a horse to mock Marmaduke's size.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: How Marmaduke first meets Bosco. At first he is seen front and center with the pedigrees, but just as Mazie is warning Marmaduke to stay away from Jezebel, Bosco suddenly appears before them.
- Talking Animal: The animals are capable of human speech, at least only to each other.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Thunder and Lightning.
- Toilet Humour: A common canine watering hole.
- Token Good Teammate: Jezebel is the only pedigree who doesn't insult Marmaduke.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Mazie is the tomboy to Jezebel's girly girl.
- Villain: Exit, Stage Left: After the pedigrees all turn on Bosco, he is scared by a bee and runs off, never to be seen again.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Maisy calls Marmaduke out on not hanging around with her and their friends anymore. Marmaduke, who wants to fit in with the pedigrees, says "I don't hang out with mutts anymore".
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: The other part of the movie focuses on Phil learning to take time off to spent time with his family.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: After Bosco attacks Marmaduke after the latter wins in the surfing contest and chases him, Marmaduke decides to stand his ground and growls at him. Bosco, however, pretends to be hurt, causing Marmaduke and Phil to be scolded.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Marmaduke says it when Mazie pesters him to jump to safety in the sewer.
- You Need a Breath Mint: Maisy tells Marmaduke this after he accidentally breathes in her face, saying that it smelled like garbage. So he eats some minty toothpaste... with the help of Carlos.