A 2010 film in which the Winslow family moves to California with their "large yet lovable" one-dog wrecking crew Great Dane.
Marmaduke provides examples of:
- An Aesop:
- Marmaduke shouldn't lie and he should've got with Maisy because First Girl Wins, not Richest Girl.
- Also at the end, Phil realizes that being "Top Dog" doesn't mean getting others (ESPECIALLY Marmaduke) to listen to him all the time. It means looking out for his family.
- Animal Talk: The animals can talk to each other and to their owners, but the humans can't understand what they're saying.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Giuseppe describes the pedigrees as rich, spoiled, and they act like their fleas don’t bite.
- Beta Couple: Phil's daughter Barbara and her crush Bodie to Marmaduke and his crush.
- Betty and Veronica: The tomboy collie (Maisy) or the posh dog who serves as alpha female (Jezebel).
- Big Bad:
- Subverted with "Chupadogra" was said to have killed his owner, striking fear into the local dogs. But later, it turns out that "Chupadogra" was in fact an old mastiff named Buster who ran away from home and led a pack only to be kicked out by his own pack. He then persuades Marmaduke to return to his family and soon is finally accepted by the other dogs in the end.
- Bosco qualifies as this.
- The Bully: Again, Bosco.
- Canon Foreigner: Everyone in this movie except for Marmaduke, Carlos, and the Winslow family.
- A Cat in a Gang of Dogs: Carlos.
- Cats Are Snarky: Carlos.
- Chekhov's Gun: Marmaduke's fear of bees. Let's just say that Bosco shares the same problem at the end of the film.
- Circling Monologue: Bosco gives one to Marmaduke during their first encounter.
- Conspicuous CG
- Dance Party Ending
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: When Marmaduke thinks he'll fit in at the dog park just fine:Marmaduke: Now, that is a pretty good — [A bee lands on his nose] BEE!!!
- Exiled to the Couch: Marmaduke's owner Phil gets angry at Marmaduke for trashing the place and throws him outside in the rain, blaming him for all of his misfortunes. His wife, however, is displeased with this and says that Marmaduke was just a dog and doesn't know any better. In the end, she says "You want him in the backyard? Fine. He may have the backyard... but you have the couch."
- Evil Is Bigger: Averted with Bosco, who is a head smaller than Marmaduke. Some of the pedigrees are a bit larger than him, too.
- First Girl Wins: Marmaduke gets together with Mazie in the end.
- Gasshole: Marmaduke.
- Glad I Thought of It: Marmaduke tells Jezebel that Mazie's dinner idea was his own despite Mazie saying that it was her idea in the first place.
- Heel–Face Turn: All the pedigrees, even Thunder and Lightning, turn on Bosco in the end, recognizing Marmaduke as the new leader.
- High School A.U.: Not popular with anyone, to put it mildly.
- Hollywood, California: The movie takes place mostly in "Orange County".
- Incoming Ham: When the pedigrees are being introduced:Mazie: Well, if you think you got the game, you could roll with our crew.
Marmaduke: Oh, yeah? Who's your crew?
Thunder and Lightning: MUTTS! [laugh hysterically]
Mazie: He's super jealous, so stay away from [Jezebel] or he'll turn you into —
- And again when Marmaduke first meets Bosco:
Bosco: Dog food! [Appears before them]
- Liar Revealed: Marmaduke lies about who he is in order to gain popularity and thus everyone deserts him.
- Live-Action Adaptation
- Must Make Amends: After messing up big time, Marmaduke runs away... but not before arranging for Phil to listen to what his kids want and trying to make up with Maisy.
- Nervous Wreck: Giuseppe the Chinese Crested dog. He even says that the dance machine Marmaduke broke was the only thing he wasn't afraid of.
- The Nicknamer: Bosco. His nicknames are mostly directed at Marmaduke, calling him names like "Marmapuke" or "Marmafake". There's also "Big-Ears" to count.
- Shamed by a Mob: Marmaduke after Bosco reveals that he was a fake.
- The Smart Guy: Raisin the British dachshund.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: A little Jack Russel terrier chirps like a gopher to show he can, and Bosco neighs like a horse to mock Marmaduke's size.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: How Marmaduke first meets Bosco. At first he is seen front and center with the pedigrees, but just as Mazie is warning Marmaduke to stay away from Jezebel, Bosco suddenly appears before them.
- Suddenly Voiced: Marmaduke
- Those Two Bad Guys: Thunder and Lightning.
- Toilet Humour: A common canine watering hole.
- Tomboy: Mazie
- Villain: "Exit, Stage Left!": After the pedigrees all turn on Bosco, he is scared by a bee and runs off, never to be seen again.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Maisy calls Marmaduke out on not hanging around with her and their friends anymore. Marmaduke, who wants to fit in with the pedigrees, says "I don't hang out with mutts anymore".
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: The other part of the movie focuses on Phil learning to take time off to spent time with his family.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: After Bosco attacks Marmaduke after the latter wins in the surfing contest and chases him, Marmaduke decides to stand his ground and growls at him. Bosco, however, pretends to be hurt, causing Marmaduke and Phil to be scolded.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Marmaduke says it when Mazie pesters him to jump to safety in the sewer.
- You Need a Breath Mint: Maisy tells Marmaduke this after he accidentally breathes in her face, saying that it smelled like garbage. So he eats some minty toothpaste... with the help of Carlos.