The Tails Series is an ongoing sci-fi web novel series by Tyk 5919. It takes hundreds of years in the future in a distant galaxy where human beings, aliens, and anthros coexist and engage in a multitude of conflicts and tribulations throughout space.
Despite the name, the series has nothing to do with the Tales Series by Bandai.
The Tails Series provides examples of the following tropes:
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Anthros are always noted for being shoeless. This is most likely because most anthros' feet and footpaws are too big for shoes, and because shoes are generally uncomfortable for them to wear.
- Big Bad: Most stories tend to have a criminal of sorts causing most of the conflict.
- Tails of Fame has Rast Racklyn, who later teams up with Seamus Osgranov and Douglas Kevro.
- Tails of the Bounty Hunter has the Baron, the leader of a cartel organization trying to exterminate hundreds of millions.
- Tails of the Space Gladiators has yet to reveal any central antagonists so far.
- Black and Gray Morality: There are hardly any heroic characters in the series. At best, there will be an Anti-Hero with a Dark and Troubled Past who isn't above putting innocents in harm's way, or a kind background character who will be broken or killed. At worst, there's gonna be an egotistical murderer or rapist who only cares about causing pain, a mob boss who doesn't care about causing terrorist attacks in a city, or an alien conqueror willing to slaughter billions for their personal gain.
- Greater-Scope Villain:
- Douglas Kevro, the mob boss who manipulated several of the events in Tails of Fame that got hundreds of innocents killed. He's currently one of the most dangerous criminals in the city of Stercullo, and possibly all of Tero.
- Commander Maynard is responsible for Seamus' (and later Douglas') organ harvesting ring and he's the one who ordered the Baron to destroy a moon rivaling his empire. Few characters even know of his existence, and he has yet to face any form of comeuppance for what he's done.
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!: Some of the planets in the galaxy (most notably Tero) are populated by human beings as well as anthros, a race of anthropomorphic animal-like creatures.
- Petting Zoo People: Anthros are a race of sentient, humanoid, animal-like creatures who walk, talk, act, and dress like normal human beings.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: The series falls in the middle of the bar, aiming more towards realism (in the context of the setting, anyway) instead of optimism or cynicism. Tails of Fame, however, is brimming with cynicism from start to finish, given the themes of that story.
- Thematic Series: The series centers around a race of Petting Zoo People coexisting with humans and other aliens in an entirely different galaxy. Each story has its own self-contained plot and cast of characters, so any story can be read in any order without the reader getting confused as to what's happening or why.
- Unspecified Apocalypse: Something happened to Earth that resulted in the planet turning into an inhabitable wasteland or being destroyed completely. Whatever happened resulted in what was left of humanity migrating to a whole new galaxy to avoid extinction.
- The Verse: Each story in the Tails Series takes place in the same galaxy, albeit every story takes place during a different year and on different planet(s). Nevertheless, the continuity never changes.