Original air date: 11/23/2007
20,000 Patties Under the Sea
Mr. Krabs converts an old submarine into a mobile Krusty Krab, and a jealous Plankton tries the same thing.
"20,000 Patties Under the Sea" contains examples of:
- Flowery Insults: Plankton resorts to some pretty colorful insult-slinging when pushed to his limits:Plankton: (to a little boy) Aw, come on, kid, you asked me that already, now quit wasting my time!
Mom: Hey! You can't talk to my son that way! Who do you think you are?
Plankton: I'm Plankton, you old hag, and your son smells like boogers!
Dad: Hey! You can't talk to my wife that way! What do you think this is?
Plankton: I think it's time for you to lose some weight, fatty, that's what it is!
Grandma: Hey! You can't talk to my grandson like that! Someone oughta put you in a mental hospital!
Plankton: Someone should put you in a box floating down the river, grandma!
- Glad I Thought of It:Squidward: Well, since you can't bring any customers into the Krusty Krab, have you ever thought about bringing the Krusty Krab to the customers?
Mr. Krabs: Quiet, Squidward, I'm brainstorming! Ooh, ooh! What if instead of bringing customers to the Krusty Krab, we could bring the Krusty Krab to the customers?
- Growling Gut: This happens with the Sea Monster after eating a lot of chum patties.
- Literal Metaphor:SpongeBob: Nothing like a little manual labor to put some hair on your chest, eh Patrick?
Patrick: I'll say! (close-up of Patrick's hairy chest, accompanied by monkey noises)
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: All Plankton really manages to do in sinking the mobile Krusty Krab is simultaneously give SpongeBob and Patrick another meal idea for the sea monster thanks to the chum flying through the window.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Plankton trying to compete with the mobile Krusty Krab is obviously nothing to do with stealing the krabby patty secret formula.
- Portmanteau: After Plankton bombs SpongeBob and Patricks submarine and then crashes his own, a piece of chum flies into a hole in SpongeBob and Patrick's sub:Patrick: SpongeBob look!
SpongeBob: What is it?
Patrick: It's a liquid!
SpongeBob: (chum goes through hole and lands on bun) No, it's a solid, it's a solid!
SpongeBob and Patrick (in unison): It's a "lolsquid".
- Shout-Out: The title is a spoof of the novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
- Special Guest: Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed as the sea monster and the mother Plankton insults, respectively.
- Unknown Rival: SpongeBob and Patrick are unaware Plankton is in the same area as they are and is trying to compete with them.
The Battle of Bikini Bottom
SpongeBob and Patrick end up in an all-out war between clean and dirty.
No relation to Battle FOR Bikini Bottom.
"The Battle of Bikini Bottom" contains examples of:
- An Aesop:
- You can disagree with someone over ideals, and it doesn't necessarily mean either side is right or wrong. It can be a matter of opinion and it doesn't always warrant war.
- Even with that, it's important to stay clean and healthy.
- Anything but That!: Patrick says this when SpongeBob gives him a pedicure.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: After the Bikini Bottomites realize that historical reenactments are "lame", they decide to do more manly things like football, hockey...or knitting fluffy sweaters.
- Bait-and-Switch: At one point, we see a close-up of a knife on a cutting board, then SpongeBob says, "Careful, Patrick, I've got a weapon!". He then reaches for something, but not the knife...he throws raw onions into Patrick's eyes and makes him cry.
- Big "NEVER!": By the dirty side in the flashback.
- Breath Weapon: Patrick's bad breath causes SpongeBob to literally shatter into tiny pieces.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Those on the side who are clean wear red uniforms while those who would rather be dirty wear blue uniforms.
- Eye Scream: When SpongeBob gets dirty, some of the dirt gets on his eyeballs.
- Feud Episode: Between SpongeBob and Patrick, over their respective hygiene.
- Glove Slap: In the flashback, Patrick's colonial ancestor pulls off one of his own hands and smacks the guy next to him.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: This episode has several:
- After Patrick's colonial ancestor uses the bathroom, we see a close-up of his unwashed hands.
- The various objects sticking to Patrick's chest after SpongeBob removes his "coat" (actually his outermost layer of skin).
- Patrick's dirty toenail before SpongeBob gives him a pedicure.
- Patrick's teeth before SpongeBob brushes them.
- Patrick's hairy armpits before SpongeBob sprays him with deodorant.
- Patrick picking his nose, which is animated in a hyper-realistic style.
- High-Pressure Emotion: SpongeBob turns red with anger when he sees Patrick's "patty socks".
- Medium-Shift Gag: When we get a close-up of Patrick picking his nose, the art-style changes to a hyper-realistic style.
- My God, What Have I Done?: SpongeBob and Patrick stop their feud once the former becomes dirty and the latter clean.
- Nose Nuggets: Patrick threatens SpongeBob with some of his boogers. As he runs into the Krusty Krab, we get this exchange.SpongeBob: Run, Mr. Krabs! Patrick is digging for gold!
Mr. Krabs: Gold? [eagerly runs after them, comes back]
Squidward: Did you get any of Patrick's "gold"?
Mr. Krabs: He's not digging for any gold I'm looking for.
- Ocular Gushers:
- When Patrick grabs SpongeBob's eyes, they turn into little bombs and squirt him.
- When SpongeBob throws onions into Patrick's eyes, you can pretty much guess what happens.
- Series Continuity Error: Patrick says he doesn't wash his hands or brush his teeth, but a few older episodes confirm otherwise.
- Silly Reason for War: According to Patrick, the Battle of Bikini Bottom was fought over whether it was right to be clean or dirty.
- Sudden Anatomy: Patrick is shown to have toenails, and SpongeBob lampshades the fact that Patrick has no nose. Then, of course, Patrick grows a nose and picks it.
- Sudden Eye Color: When Patrick becomes clean, his eyes turn blue.
- War Reenactors: The plot begins when SpongeBob and Patrick run into reenactors for the titular battle.
- Word Schmord: "Booger schmooger, you don't even have a nose!"
- You Monster!: After SpongeBob gives him a pedicure, Patrick says, "You sick little monster!"