- Crying Critters: The Funny Animal characters are seen crying sometimes.
- Dub Name Change: The English translations change a bunch of the characters' names.
- Pleasant Goat is renamed Weslie.
- Lazy Goat is known as Paddi.
- Pretty Goat is called Tibbie.
- Fit Goat's English name is Sparky.
- Warm Goat is given the name Jonie.
- Slow Goat is known as Mr. Slowy, or just Slowy.
- Gray Wolf is called Wolffy.
- Red Wolf is renamed Wolnie.
- Little Gray is known as Wilie.
- Four-Fingered Hands: A vast majority of characters have four-fingered hands.
- White Bunny: Most, if not all, of the rabbits that appear in the series have white fur.
As a Whole
- Color-Coded Characters: The six main goats are each associated with a particular color, and in most places they're usually represented by these colors. The specific colors are as follows:
- Weslie is blue.
- Paddi is yellow.
- Sparky is brown.
- Tibbie is pink.
- Jonie is red.
- Slowy is green.
- Kid Hero: It's implied that the main goats (not counting Mr. Slowy) are children, based off of episodes like "Candy House Fantasy" where the goats point out that the wolves are adults. Weslie in particular is thought to be either primary or middle school age.
- Light Is Good: The goats all have white wool and are heroes who constantly have to defend themselves from the dark wolves.
- True Companions: They're good friends who always stick together and rely on each other to avoid Wolffy's clutches.
- Two Girls to a Team: Tibbie and Jonie are the two girls in the otherwise all-male group of main goats.
Xi Yang Yang/ Pleasant Goat/ Happy Goat/ Weslie
The main character of the show, a generally pleasant and happy goat (if his Chinese name didn't already clue you in) who serves as the leader of the goats.
- The Ace: He rarely does anything terribly wrong, always saves the day, and is popular.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Can pass for Wolnie, and one of the only male characters to crossdress and not result in narm.
- In-Series Nickname: In the seventh film, Super the penguin nicknames Weslie "0803". This is a Mythology Gag referencing when the Pleasant Goat TV show originally premiered on August 3rd, 2005 (08/03/05).
- Lost in Translation: Weslie does not correspond to the adjective "happy".
- Not So Above It All: He's a good little goat, but he's not above cheating on a project, framing Paddi for eating mushrooms, playing pranks on his classmates, etc.
- Parental Abandonment: In the third movie, it's shown that his parents abandoned him to go conduct research in space.
- Primary-Color Champion: In the Pleasant Goat Fun Class series, he wears a cream yellow shirt with red sleeves as well as a pair of blue pants.
- Punny Name: Weslie's Chinese name is Xǐ Yángyáng. This is meant to be a pun on the Chinese idiom "Xǐqìyángyáng", which means "full of joy", and the homophonic "yáng" which means "sheep" or "goat".
- Shipper on Deck: Subverted. He seems to ship Wolffy and Pink Fox, but he does it for the sole purpose of ticking Wolnie off.
- Super Speed: In War of Invention, he wears a pair of shoes that allows him to run at top speeds.
Lan Yang Yang / Lazy Goat / Lance / Paddi / Paddy / Fattie
One of Weslie's best friends, who mostly cares about sleeping and eating.
- A Day in the Limelight:
- Paddi has a 25-episode-long side story in Happy, Happy, Bang! Bang!
- The season Paddi the Amazing Chef focuses on Paddi and his ability to cook great food.
- Distressed Dude: The first goat caught 90% of the time.
- Freudian Excuse: He's so lazy because his parents were lazy. They refused to play or eat with him, in favor of sleeping and ignoring their son. Seeing his parents love to sleep so much made him try sleeping. And the rest is history.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Always manages to elude the wolves via getting rescued in the nick of time or some other thing. And all he does is sleep and eat all day. He even lampshades this by saying his superpower is "being saved." When he actually does work hard, the results are not so good...
- Lost in Translation: How do Paddi, Fattie, and Lance correspond to the Mandarin adjective "lazy"?
Fei Yang Yang/ Force Goat/ Fit Goat/ Sparky
A strong, quick-tempered goat who likes to play sports and has a crush on Tibbie.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He has a crush on Tibbie and always tries to do things to impress her or gain her affection. In the end, he never actually gets Tibbie's affection.
- Ambiguously Brown: His skin color is noticeably darker than that of the other goats, but this is never brought up in the show.
- Why Did It Have to Be Cockroaches?: Cockroaches make him faint from fright, so obviously they appear in the stories.
Mei Yang Yang/ Pretty Goat/ Tibbie
A kind, sweet, and emotional goat who cares about her own fashion and has a crush on Weslie.
- Damsel in Distress: It's common for her to be tied-up in Wolffy's castle and for the male goats to have to go save her.
- Green Thumb: In Mighty Little Defenders, she wields a bow and arrow that can create big vines wherever it shoots.
- Hair Decorations: She wears two pink ribbons on her head.
- The Smurfette Principle: In Pleasant Goat Fun Class, Jonie barely appears, leaving Tibbie as the only female out of the main goats.
Man Yang Yang/ Slow Goat/ Mr. Slowy
An elderly goat who teaches the goats in school and often invents stuff to help them.
- Berserk Button: Flips off when the goats really piss him off with some form of disobedience/disrespect.
- Einstein Hair: His frizzy hair resembles Albert Einstein's.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": In the English dub, his name is just Mr. Slowy.
- Fan Disservice: There are several "odd" paintings of him in the background
- Gadgeteer Genius: He spends a lot of time in his room experimenting and making new inventions to help the goats.
- Mr. Exposition: Slowy sometimes provides exposition by telling the goats about major plot points, usually about Wolffy's plans.
- The Smart Guy: Out of the main goats, he is the smartest. He always has knowledge for them and he always has inventions ready for the goats.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Slowy, who's the smartest out of the main goats, is always seen wearing glasses.
- Techno Wizard: He even makes a computer that cooks.
Nuan Yang Yang/ Soft (or Warm) Goat/ Jonie
A goat who is part mountain goat, making her one of the strongest goats of the group besides Sparky, and serves as the class president for the goats' school.
- The Big Guy: She has mountain goat genes, making her the strongest goat in the whole village.
- Barrier Warrior: In Marching to the New Wonderland, her Xiha train has the ability to create a protective forcefield around itself. Jonie herself gets this same ability in Mighty Little Defenders.
- You Just Had to Say It: Seriously, everything (bad) she predicts comes true. "What if Mr. Slowy trips?" "I guess we'll only find out if Wolffy shows up." She's not called the crow mouth for nothing.
Lau Dao Yang/ Old Knife Goat
- Berserk Button: Gets angry if the flower on his head is removed.
- Cut-and-Paste Translation: His English name is the exact translation of his Chinese one
Fei Ji Zai/ Chopper/ Airplane
- Speech Impediment: Stammers a lot.
Luan Mie Mie/ Soft Goat
As a Whole
- Bilingual Bonus: The wolves' Chinese names end in "太狼" ("Tàiláng"). This is a pun on the Japanese language. "太狼" ("Tàiláng") and "太郎" ("Tàiláng") are homophones in the Chinese language, and "太郎" is also the Japanese name Tarō, meaning "the first son". Japanese names can appear aggressive in the Chinese language, and this fits the evil wolves.
- Cartoony Tail: The wolves have overly bushy tails. While wolves' tails really are bushy in real life, they're visibly rounder than how they appear in this show.
- Dark Is Evil: They're evil villains and they're gray wolves who either live or at least meet up in a dark castle.
Hui Tai Lung/ Grey Wolf/ Wolffy
A wolf who serves as the main villain of the series. Wolffy constantly brainstorms plans to capture Weslie and his friends for him and his wife Wolnie to consume, but fails to catch them every time.
- Adaptational Nice Guy: In Pleasant Goat Fun Class, Wolffy's villainous traits are heavily downplayed and his most antagonistic trait is being ruder in comparison to the goats.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: With his female shark costume he looks attractive. Leo the shark chased him all the way from the ocean to Qing Qing and apparently still wants him even after finding out he's not a female or a shark.
- Big Bad: He is the main antagonist of the entire show. His goal is to successfully catch and eat the goats. He often works with his wife Wolnie and the other wolves.
- Defeat Catchphrase: He says "I'll be back for sure!" or some variant of it whenever the goats outsmart him.
- Determinator: Oh yes. He's come up with 2,000+ plans to catch the goats, has messed up all of them, and still hasn't given up.
- Disguised in Drag: When cross-dressing, everyone gets convinced by the disguise.
- The Dog Bites Back: Later seasons will have him occasionally get revenge on his wife with a frying pan of his own.
- Domestic Abuse: Whenever he fails to catch the goat, his wife Wolnie beats him with a frying pan as punishment.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Wolnie more often than not puts Wolffy through a ton of abuse for not catching the goats, unfortunately for him.
- Ear Notch: A tiny part of his ear is missing. Makes sense since he's been beaten up a couple hundred times.
- Embarrassing Damp Sheets: He had a tendency to wet the bed as a kid. It gets to the point that it earned him the Embarrassing Nickname of "Pee Wolf".
- Embarrassing Nickname: Niao Tai Lung ("Pee Wolf"), for the bad habit of wetting the bed as a cub.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He genuinely cares for his wife Wolnie, as well as his son Wilie.
- Exposed Animal Bellybutton: He has a visible belly button.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Wolffy often designs his own gadgets and items to try to catch the goats with. While he clearly has some level of scientific knowledge, his gadgets aren't perfect and the goats are still able to foil his plans.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Wolffy has a vertical scar that runs up his face and stops just below his eye.
- Green-Eyed Monster:
- Henpecked Husband: Wolnie constantly nags Wolffy to go out and catch goats for dinner. Wolffy listens to her because if he doesn't attempt to catch the goats, he'll be hit with her Frying Pan of Doom.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Wolffy often pulls items out of nowhere.
- Identical Grandson: Looks just like his grandfather (sans fur color), Huang Tai Lung/ Yellow Wolf
- Iron Butt Monkey: He has been subjected to many an amusing injury over the span of 2,000+ episodes and recovers from all of the carnage without so much as a scratch by the next episode.
- Official Couple: Is married to Wolnie and has shown quite a few times that he genuinely cares for her.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: He ended up marrying Wolnie because he ate a plate of fried rice that she made and her pack told all male wolves in the canteen that she worked at that whoever eats the rice will win her hand in marriage. The rice proved too terrible. Wolffy, having missed the announcement, snuck into the canteen for free food, and ate the whole plate. The wedding came next and they are happy.
- The Power of Love: As the villain's motivation; this is his whole reason for even attempting to hunt goats. Taken Up to Eleven in the second movie, where he manages to pull up a giant cylinder, likey 100+ times his weight, and throw it into the sky so it wouldn't crush his wife.
- Rugged Scar: Wolffy has a prominent scar on his face. It's made of several lines.
- Secondary Color Nemesis: In Pleasant Goat Fun Class, Wolffy's purple shirt and orange beret contrast with Weslie's red, yellow, and blue outfit (not that Wolffy is as much of a villain in Pleasant Goat Fun Class as he is in the main series, but he's still ruder than the goats).
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: It's getting hard to distinguish who the main character is, whether him or Weslie.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Wolffy craves the goats and always wants to eat them. Goats would be Wolffy's favorite food if he could ever catch and eat them (which he can't).
- Villain Protagonist: There are certain episodes and seasons where he gets enough focus that he can easily be seen as the main character instead of Weslie.
Hong Tai Lung/ Red Wolf/ Wolnie
Wolffy's hot-tempered wife, who insistently tries to get him to capture the goats and hits him with a frying pan every time he fails to catch them.
- Affectionate Nickname: Usually addressed as "honey", "darling", "wife", etc. (and Xiao Hong/ Little Red in the 3rd movie), by Wolffy.
- Beauty Mark: She has one right next to her left eye.
- Berserk Button: Never call her old (or ugly). If you do, she gets pissed.
- Bookworm: Sometimes she's shown to take part in reading, though it's downplayed since she doesn't do it extremely often.
- Domestic Abuse: Hits Wolffy with a frying pan multiple times each episode. That's just one of the methods she uses to cause him pain.
- Frying Pan of Doom: Uses her frying pan as a weapon, especially at her husband as a method of punishing him for failing to capture the goats.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Whenever anyone says Tibbie (or another animal) is better looking than her. When she thinks of Wolffy with any other female carnivore (especially Pink Fox)
- Happily Married: Despite all the beatings and complaints she delivers, she does love her husband.
- Iconic Item: Her frying pan is practically identified with her.
- Lethal Chef: Seems to be competent at making fried rice. This can't be said for everything else as she's a horrible cook.
- Ornamental Weapon: In later seasons, she still keeps her frying pan on her but uses it less often.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Her pack told all male wolves in the canteen that she worked at that whoever eats the rice will win her hand in marriage. The rice proved too terrible. Wolffy, having missed the announcement, snuck into the canteen for free food, and ate the whole plate. They got married.
- Pet the Dog: There are moments where she is genuinely loving toward her husband. And whenever she's being motherly toward Wilie.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: The villainous Wolnie wears a red dress with black and white linings on it.
- Ship Tease: With White Wolf, her first lover, who she still fantasizes about sometimes.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Has visible eyelashes and lipstick to distinguish her as a female.
- Weapon for Intimidation: In later seasons, her frying pan becomes more of an Ornamental Weapon, and the most she uses it for is usually to intimidate Wolffy.
Xiao Hui Hui/ Little Grey/ Wilie
Wolffy and Wolnie's hyperactive son, who is friendlier towards the goats.
- Carnivore Confusion: He addresses the goats as "brother____", always greets them cheerfully, and seems to think of them as his friends. And yet he has no problem with his parents wanting to eat mutton. In the second movie, he even admits to Paddi that he was trying to trick him to come to his home because Wolffy told him Paddi was the dumbest, and therefore easiest goat to catch. He even cheers when Wolffy was about to cook Paddi because his father told him "goats taste just like snowflakes because they're both white". But he refuses to eat mutton since the goats are now his friends but doesn't mind eating fish, etc.
- A Day in the Limelight: Several instances. In particular, in the fourth season, Happy, Happy, Bang! Bang!, there's an entire Story Arc called "Wilie Enters School" that is dedicated to showing Wilie's experiences in entering school for the first time.
- Genki Boy: The most hyperactive wolf out of the rest of the cast.
- HeelFace Turn: Wasn't exactly a bad guy before, but is now fully on the goats' side
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Or more like The Not-So-Cute Dad's Cute Son. Wolffy isn't particularly appealing in comparison to the ridiculously adorable Wilie.
- Odd Name Out: Most of the wolves' Chinese names end with Tàiláng or at least something similar to it. Wilie's Chinese name is Xiǎo Huīhuī, which is much different from the rest.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Wilie is usually seen wearing blue clothes. His female cousin, Angelalily, is often seen wearing pink clothes.
- Put on a Bus: Towards the end of the season 3, he was sent to his grandmother's house for the summer.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: He's a cute animated wolf and he really is ridiculously cute
- Spell My Name with an "S": They differ between spelling it Wilie or Willie (same goes for the pronunciation).
- Vegetarian Carnivore: Has expressed his desire to become a vegetarian in season 4, despite being a wolf.
Jiao Tai Lung/ Banana Wolf
- Parental Abandonment: Sent to live with Wolffy because his parents were ashamed of their vegetarian son.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Banana-loving, banana-eating wolf.
- Vegetarian Carnivore: He is a vegetarian wolf who eats bananas.
Yeh Tai Lung/ Night Wolf
- Chronic Back Stabbing Disorder: He seems to betray Wolffy at every turn. In the 2nd movie, he and the pack join the Big Bad to confiscate Wolffy's castle (and beat him up while they're at it). In the 3rd movie, they evict him from the pack for not being able to catch goats (even though they didn't fare much better) and proceed to take his castle again. Not to mention, the whole pack leader rivalry.
- Henpecked Husband: After getting married to Wolnie's cousin, he suffers the same abuse as Wolffy of domestic abuse.
- Jerkass: Freeloads constantly at Wolffy's house, bullies his cousin with abundance, complains when there's nothing to eat at Wolffy's home, enjoys visiting Wolffy just so he can tease him, and the list goes on and on.
- Pretty Freeloader: Whenever he shows up at Wolf Castle, he never leaves for the duration of the episode. Then he demands mutton. Makes him more of a Jerkass when you consider the fact that he's not even supposed to go to Wolffy's home for New Year's, being the older cousin- in Chinese tradition, they're all supposed to go the eldest relative's home, not the youngest!
- Savage Wolves: Treacherous, lecherous, a bully; he has every negative trait associated with wolves.
Xiang Tai Lung/ Fragrant
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Appeared rather sweet at first glance, but is abusive to her spouse.
- Domestic Abuse: Seems to be a trend in Wolnie's family. She abuses her spouse.
Xiao Xiang Xiang/Angelalily
- Enfant Terrible: Has already caught 200 goats and she's Wilie's age, so very, very young.
- Hollywood Genetics: Has blue eyes while both her parents have dark ones
- Kissing Cousins: Quite obviously has a crush on Wilie, even though they are cousins and she's related to both his parents.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Angelalily is often seen wearing pink clothes, whereas Wilie usually wears blue clothes.
Xiao Bai Lung/ (Little) White Wolf / Whiter Wolf
- The Ace: From the wolves' point of view at least. The fact that he manages to catch and eat goats nearly every day (a feat that's nigh impossible in this show!) probably doesn't endear him to the goats
- Light Is Not Good: He's white, but he's still just as evil as the other wolves and he manages to catch and eat goats all the time.
- Walking the Earth: He refuses to settle down in one place, preferring to wander and help wolves in need.
- White Wolves Are Special: For one, he's one of the few wolves in the show who has successfully captured goats on a regular basis.
Chen Yang Zai/ The Slayer of a Thousand Goats
- Famous Ancestor: He's well known for slaying a thousand goats
- Jerkass: The thing that sparked the castle shaking incident? He tried to take all the goats for himself, not that Wolffy objected. Wolnie did. He then taunted the couple by telling Wolffy to get his wife to do a dance for him. Not pleased, Wolffy attacks and the fight starts
- Meaningful Name: How many goats has he killed? He's the Slayer of a Thousand Goats.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Look at his name — The Slayer of a Thousand Goats. If you're a goat, you better run.
- No Holds Barred Beat Down: Beats Wolffy very badly and it doubles as a Curb-Stomp Battle, with the whole damn castle literally shaking from how hard the blows were.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Technically he's a ghost, due to Wolffy's summoning machine, which pulled him through a portal and in the present timeline, resulted in his technically being dead. He can still move and possess solid objects. Until he's sent back to his own time by Wolffy and the goats.
Wu Da Lang/ Martial Wolf
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: One of the worst offenders on the show. In episode 499, which involves Time Travel, he pulls out a sword and knifes Wolffy in the face, resulting in the latter's defining scar.
- Famous Ancestor: As the famous Martial Wolf, he puts the Slayer of a Thousand Goats to shame. He is Wolffy's great-great-great-great-great-great-great....great-great grandfather.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Told his pack to starve themselves so they could become thin enough to enter the goat village gate. They all starved to death.
- The Leader: He is the founding father of Grey Wolf's pack.
- Pirate: Just take a look at his design — eyepatch, pirate bicorner hat with a skull and crossbones.
Bao Bao Da Len/ Master Pao Pao
- Dark Secret: He's... gasp!... bald. And he's ashamed of it and tries to hide it.
- Judge, Jury, and Executioner: Can hold trials all by himself.
Tai Guh/ Brother Tai
- Carnivore Confusion: For some reason (like practically every other non-wolf in the show), he's friends with the goats although he's a tiger.
Bien Zuay Luen/ Flat Billed Luen
- Informed Ability: His "amazing" singing voice. Never shown in the series, but other characters admire him.
Fen Hong Hu Li/ Pink Fox
- Affectionate Nickname: Xiao Hong/ Little Red, Fen Hong Mei Zeh/ Little Pink Sister, all by Wolffy
Xiao Jing Ling/ (Little) Fairy
- Irony: He's the same size as Jonie, but has the adjective "little" in his name.
- Jackass Genie: He's willing to enslave Paddi, frame others to avoid getting in trouble, and is generally useless. Not so much a Jerkass as plain incompetent.
- Our Fairies Are Different: He resembles a mix between a goat and a platypus, which is a far cry from most depictions of fairies.
- Three Wishes: He promised to grant these to anyone that finds his diamond for him. According to him, wishing for more wishes is against the rules. Wolffy learns this the hard way.
Xiao Sa Ge/ Carefree Brother/ Jolly/ The Shining Prophet
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Darky's Abel... in a very loose sense.
Hei Da Suai/ The Black Marshall/ Darky
- For the Evulz: Literally, all he wants to do is become the "most evil."