Sometimes when you draw animals on any level of anthropomorphism from Nearly Normal Animal to Beast Man, but especially Civilized Animals, Funny Animals, Beast Man, you just give them a humanlike bellybutton, whether "innie" or "outie," that can be seen through their fur, feathers, or scales.
While some cartoon animals have humanlike bellybuttons, Real Life animals don't have navels like this. Placental mammals beside humans are born with a navel that looks very much like a scar.
Other animals, like monotreme mammals, all birds, most reptiles, amphibians, and fish, most insects, some molluscs, and some arachnids don't have navels, as they are oviparous (were born from eggs). Some squamates (the reptile group that includes lizards, snakes, and amphisbaenians) like rattlesnakes, sea snakes, slowworms, and garter snakes, are either viviparous or ovoviviparous (give birth to live young), as are most sharks, live-bearing bony fishes, some species of scorpion, cockroaches, and velvet worms. They don't have navels as navels are exclusive to placental mammals.
- In Wowser, the titular character is white dog with a bellybutton. His feline rival Ratso Catso also has one.
- Subverted in one strip where the eponymous cat notices a black spot on his belly in the mirror and remarks "I didn't know I had a belly button". Said spot turns out to be a bug, which promptly flies away.
- Another strip has Garfield eat one of Jon's plants in a fit of jealousy. When Jon complains, Garfield says "If you have anything to say to your precious plant, say it into my bellybutton!"
- Rango the chameleon has a bellybutton.
- Jiminy Cricket is shown to have a bellybutton in Pinocchio.
- In Cinderella, in the scene when Gus, the mouse, is first introduced, Cinderella tries to put a shirt on Gus, but then the shirt rises and pops up. For a SPLIT second, you could spot a bellybutton on Gus while in the air. A little mistake saw Gus trapped in the teacup that Lady Tremaine was about to pour tea into. As Gus jabs in his belly to avoid the boiling tea drop coming down, it seems as though he grew a bellybuttton, while it was really just lines indicating his belly is being pulled in. As his belly rises in relief, it still seems to have the shape of a bellybutton until it fully rises, where the mark disappears.
- Stupid the weasel from Who Framed Roger Rabbit has a bellybutton.
- Gloria the Hippo from the Madagascar films has a bellybutton.
- CBBC and Going Live mascot Gordon T. Gopher had one, a plastic button on the puppet's stomach that was visible when his T-shirt rode up. It was frequently shown as a "real" bellybutton in illustrations of the character.
- Crash Bandicoot has a bellybutton in his early games, but it was gone starting with Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.
- This trope is mentioned and subverted in Chrono Trigger. You can try to run from the prison by faking sickness. If Frog is the one faking sickness, he says his bellybutton hurts. After beating guards, he calls them fools for not knowing that frogs don't have bellybuttons.
- Star Fox: Krystal, a fox, has one, visible in Star Fox Adventures.
- The Donkey Kong series seems inconsistent as to whether or not the simian Kongs have them. In some games they don't have bellybuttons, even when some reptilian characters, such as the crocodilian K. Rool, do.
- Rouge the Bat from the Sonic the Hedgehog series, has a bellybutton, although it is only visible when she's wearing alternate costumes.
- Mz. Ruby from Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus has a bellybutton despite being an alligator, also Carmelita Fox has a Belly Button since she has A Bare Midriff, and Murray also has a belly button as well.
- In Freefall, not only does Florence (an anthropomorphized red wolf) have a visible bellybutton, there's even an indentation showing where it's located even when she's dressed in her normal jumpsuit.
- Itchy and Scratchy from The Simpsons, a mouse and cat respectively, have bellybuttons.
- Rodney J. Squirrel from Squirrel Boy has a bellybutton.
- Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants has a bellybutton, as shown with the above picture.
- However, when fighting SpongeBob in The Fry Cook Games, his belly button takes the form of a pink line.
- All the main characters of Yin Yang Yo! have bellybuttons. However, the bellybuttons of rabbit siblings Yin and Yang can only be seen in a few episodes whenever their shirts lift up.