WARNING: This page contains unmarked spoilers for the Under Night In-Birth games and their story. If youre new to this franchise, then turn back now. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Under Night In-Birth Characters
Weapon: Indulgence of Insulating: The Insulator
Voiced by: Ryōhei Kimura (Japanese), Kyle McCarley (English)
- Attack : ★★★★
- Speed: ★★★★
- Range: ★★★★
- Casual: ★★★★
- Luck: ★★★★
- Get in my way and I'll get rid of you!
Hyde's EXS Ability, the EXS of Darkness: Void Red, allows him to summon a mystical weapon called the Indulgence of Insulating, or the Insulator. With it, he can destroy the EXS of others, which allows him to kill Immortals and other such beings as well as utilize black, shadow-like flames.
Hyde is a fairly balanced mid-range fighter who can poke the enemy with his long sword and play a keep-away game or use it to cover closing in. As he is a UNI character, he has the ability to reverse beat, giving him the ability to cancel any normal into any other normal giving him very varied and fluid pressure. This is especially true given he does chip damage on block, so even playing defensively you're not always safe from him. That said, his damage output overall isn't the best.
His Distortion Skills are Gyre Vortex, which creates a vortex of swirling energy around him; and Pale Bringer, a dashing sword strike that finishes with a rising slash. His Astral Heat, Raging Roar, has him shoot a blast of energy at the opponent, holding them in the air. He then gathers all of his power into the Insulator to deliver a powerful slash that unleashes a torrent of energy upon the enemy that completely obliterates them, leaving Hyde exhausted.
- Alternate Character Reading: All of his attacks pretty much have this going on. They're all in Japanese kanji rendered into English terms even in the Japanese versions, with not as-accurate translations of course.
- Always Save the Girl: More than once in Episode Under Night In-Birth. Most notably, he runs into Weiss battling Azrael and steps in to form a tag-team, fending off Azrael and Carmine. Together they're able to beat them down sufficiently so they can get away safely. This behavior shouldn't be all that surprising; stepping into fights to save the girl is a trait he carried over from his old game, in fact it's how he first met Linne.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Hyde can invoke this with his partner in some of his outro interactions when his sprite is in a certain position, like Vatista for example◊.
- Butt-Monkey: Downplayed compared to Yosuke, but Hyde's relative inexperience and tendency to Trash Talk leave him quite open to ridicule. You've got to qualify for this when Ruby snarks at you. Because most of the insulting interactions come from being teamed up with a girl, this is possibly part of a Running Gag from Under Night where most of Hyde's more unfortunate moments come from the female members of the cast. Tager also gives him a few lectures in their interactions, to the point where Hyde gets uncharacteristically angry, only proving Tager right.
- Casting a Shadow: Leaves a trail of darkness when swinging Insulator. His EXS Ability Void Red primarily concerns his usage of the Insulator and its various attacks, ranging from dark energy projectiles to a large geyser attack done by planting the blade into the ground.
- Cessation of Existence: What happens to anyone who is killed by Hyde's Insulator. This stretches up to immortal beings.
- Clueless Chick-Magnet: Played for laughs, and carried over as a trait from his home game. Over the course of Story UNIEL he ends up in a number of humourous altercations with different girls: he ends up paired with Ruby, helps Weiss fend off Azrael and Carmine (before shortly parting ways thereafter), and rescues Yukiko from Noel's lethal curry...
- Cool Sword: The Insulator. It has the ability to permanently erase absolutely anyone, even immortals, by carving their EXS. This sword is why so many people in his home universe want to get their hands on him. Hyde is an All-Loving Hero however and refuses to erase anyone. The blade was originally Vatista's seventh wing, given to Linne's Brother Kuon who forged it into a katana and was the previous wielder.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: One of the worst offenders due to his completely lacking his dash C attack (which removes almost every single combo route he had in UNI) and his standing heavy moved to the mid button, yet his sweep is still the same 2C command. He also lost his ground explosions outside of auto-combos, which severely damaged his incredible zoning game and is second nature to do after certain actions in his home game yet doesn't work here.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Void Red may be one of the more sinister looking EXS abilities, but Hyde is an All-Loving Hero.
- Dash Attack: His Pale Bringer (which is now an assist only) and its stronger version exclusive to Cross Tag Battle, Pale Bringer Arose.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh, God, yes. The Under Night story is basically an hour-long scenario of him making snide comments at every opportunity, for every single one of the bizarre and utterly ridiculous situations that get thrown at him. He practically gives Ragna a run for his money in this department.
- Declaration of Protection: Towards Linne in their team intro.Hyde: Don't worry, I'll protect you.
Linne: Hmph...That's my line, you amateur.
- Enemy Mine: In Episode RWBY, Hyde ends up teaming up with Carmine to fight Ruby and Hazama. In his own episode though, he teams up with Gordeau instead vs. Makoto and Blake.
- Hair Antennae: A staple in the Under Night series.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Hyde's motivation is to return to his peaceful life, though he's not willing to do that until Linne is at peace.
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Linne and Vatista.
- I Owe You My Life: To Linne, who saved him during one fateful Hollow Night.
- Jack of All Stats: His stats are 4-star across the board.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Guess what his weapon looks like.
- Leitmotif: Scraper Sky High, as well as Mutual Situation when paired up with Seth, which makes them the only pair from another series with their own theme song.
- Nice Guy: In contrast to his completely punk-like appearance and mannerisms. He's willing to help out anyone who needs a hand, but turns into a relentless Hot-Blooded warrior if provoked.
- Only Friend: To Vatista. Waldstein, Orie, and Merkava all fought against her back in her home series, while she's never canonically met Carmine, Gordeau, Yuzuriha or Mika. The only UNIEL characters besides Hyde she has unique dialogue with, Linne and again Merkava, only sees her as a Living Weapon. Hyde, meanwhile, is perfectly fine with treating her as an equal and invited her to live with him when he figured out she had nowhere to go after the Hollow Night ended.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Was just a simple 2nd-year high-school student before that fateful night, and he prefers things to be that way. As a fighter, he is only armed with a month of formal training and what he remembers from his childhood kendo lessons. Hyde does get his wish in the P4A ending when he ends up transferring to the heroes class in Inaba.
- Pretty Freeloaders: Linne and Vatista, though Hyde was the one who suggested it. And of course, since Linne is there, Waldstein also sticks around Hyde's house and eats all of Hyde's food.
- Real Men Cook: Is lauded by his house-mates for his excellent culinary abilities, and shows more than just miffed feelings when it comes to the horror that is Noel, Yukiko and Platinum's curry in his story mode.
- Red Baron: Due to his relatively limited experience in dealing with the Hollow Night, he's referred to as the Unknown Actor by the Void-hunting organization called the Licht Kreis.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Especially if you're forced into a fight with him.
- Reluctant Warrior: Despite being a powerful fighter with a legendary sword, Hyde would rather find a more peaceful solution and isn't thrilled whenever System forces a confrontation.
- Reverse Grip: Frequently used in Hyde's swordplay for his rekkas and anti-airs.
- School Uniforms are the New Black: As with Yu, he fights while wearing his school uniform. Unlike Yu, Hyde never wears his correctly.
- Scratch Damage: Just like in his home game, his sword-based normals can inflict chip damage on block, which goes to show how dangerous the Insulator really is on any form of contact (see Cessation of Existence above). Unlike his home game, Scratch Damage is a universal mechanic here whenever characters enter Resonance Blaze. As compensation, Hyde gets double chip damage for his moves that caused it originally. Hyde's blockstrings can shred an opponent so fast in this game that the damage feels like he can inflict more damage than he normally can than in his home game.
- Shotoclone: His projectile move is the Black Orbiter, his Shoryuken is Red-Clad Craver, and his hurricane kick-esque move is Vacant Shift.
- In terms of his Shoryuken, his Vacant Shift is a unique Three-Strike Combo version of this, with the EX version, Vacant Shift - Sediment, being 5-to-6 strike version. Delaying the former's hits allows him to reach the ground sooner without going to high which is an optimal requirement for many of his air-to-ground pickup combo routes.
- Ship Tease: His interactions with Orie and Vatista are nothing short of tender and friendly, and he's listed as a "Good Partner" for both of them.
- In Episode Mode, Hyde receives a LOT of Ship Tease with Ruby Rose:
- In Episode P4A's ending, he is seen sharing his textbooks with Ruby when she forgot hers.
- In Episode Under Night In-Birth, Hyde came to Rubys aid when he mistakenly thought that Yosuke and Chie were assaulting her, and becomes her tag partner for that fight.
- In Episode RWBY, while they end up fighting over each others keystones, they still had a rather civil conversation.
- Even his win quote with her in VS mode sounds a lot like a proposal.Hyde: Whether here or in the Hollow Night, I can't avoid fighting. Sorry Ruby, I'd like your help, but I don't want to subject you to these endless attacks.
Ruby: Nah, it's okay! As a huntress, it's my duty to help those in need! Besides... it's kind of exciting! Hehe.
- In Episode Mode, Hyde receives a LOT of Ship Tease with Ruby Rose:
- Supporting Protagonist: While he's still the main character of his series, the story centers more on Linne.
- Sword Plant: Utilized in his Shadow Scare special (now reduced to an auto-combo input via his 5BBB) and Gyre Vortex Distortion Skill.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: As usual Hyde has a pretty foul mouth. He is pretty much like Ragna would probably be in his teens.
- Trash Talk: He has a tendency to do this. Which ends up leaving him quite open to ridicule from the other cast.
- True Companions: With Linne, Waldstein, and Vatista, his "family".
- Underestimating Badassery: Hyde's pre-battle exchange with Ruby is him being unaware or forgetting that Ruby is actually technically a much more experienced fighter than he is (in the Japanese version of their interaction, Ruby's comeback has Hyde reply back to her saying to not slow him down): his near uncontrollable abilities aside, his training amounts to a month of tutorage from Linne and his childhood kendo training, while she grew up outside the walled cities on a world overrun by monsters and received training from her and Yang's heroic Huntsman uncle Qrow Branwen; in fact that insane scythe/rifle hybrid she uses to bifurcate monsters is something she designed and built herself at combat school. It's understandable he wants to protect a small girl from a dangerous situation, but if anything she should be protecting him.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Hydes combat resumé boils down to a 1 month crash course of Training from Hell, childhood kendo lessons, and a single night of life and death battles in an Eldritch Location. Yet Hydes dark powers and the Insulator are so dangerous and unstable that they balance out his inexperience in fighting, letting him clash with much more skilled and deadly adversaries from other worlds.
- Violation of Common Sense: Hyde's chip damage in this game can get so ridiculous that having to block against him can be dangerous. Much like Amane from BlazBlue, the opponent is forced in many situations to play as wildly aggressive as possible so Hyde never gets them in a situation where he can get his blockstrings going even if they don't get hit. Of course, this usually plays right into Hyde's hands.
Weapons: Mumei (No Name) and Nanashi (Nameless)
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese), Sarah Williams (English)
- Attack : ★★
- Speed: ★★★★★
- Range: ★★★
- Casual: ★★★★
- Luck: ★★★★
- Hurry up and get ready. Let down your guard... and you'll be dead the next instant.
Linne possesses the EXS of Agility, Speed Star - increasing her mobility and allowing her to blitz opponents from any direction. To do so, she keeps a light loadout, only wielding two weapons in battle: a longsword named Mumei (No Name), and a folding knife named Nanashi (Nameless).
Linne is light on her feet and can cross the screen quickly, especially on the ground. Her unique ability to triple jump makes her pretty dominant in the air. Her 5B doubles as a good anti-air and launcher. Despite her speed, she has limited reach on her normals and no fullscreen attacks, so she can face problems with certain zoners. Her damage output is also quite low.
Her Distortion Skills are The Diviner/Kannagi (God Mower), a spinning sword strike that finishes with a downward slash conjuring a column of light; and Divine Chains/Tensetsu: Juunisen (Heaven Wedge: Twenty Flashes), a reworked version of her original Force Function that acts as a fast-and-furious series of Flash Step slashes. Her Astral Heat, Kannagi: Homura Issen/Divine Blaze (God Mower: Blazing Brandish), has her power up both her blades with light energy and delivers a speedy blitz of strikes that launches the opponent high into the sky. Linne then jumps up to them and delivers a powerful overhead slash with Mumei and Nanashi combined that envelops her opponent in an explosion of light.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning her tiny body or age is usually enough to get you a one-way ticket to the hospital.
- Blade Spam: Her Mujin special is her carving the enemy in front of her multiple times with her knife.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: One of her recovery lines has her say "甘い" (read: amai) which translates to "sweet" but in the Japanese context more accurately translates to "naive". The English dub however mistakenly takes the former translation instead of the latter.
- Cool Pet: Kuubiki or Kuu a small creature that looks like a dragon, that was tasked by Kuon to watch over her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Like Rachel, she is pretty sarcastic, particularly to Hyde and Yosuke. And when they're paired together, Linne asked Rachel if she expects her to be her partner.
- Dual Wielding: Wields a large sword called Mumei and a folding knife called Nanashi.
- Fragile Speedster: Boasts excellent movement and multi-hitting combos, but cannot do much when she gets hurt. Surprisingly, her vitality clocks in at 17,000 HP which is considered the average level of health in this game.
- Got Me Doing It: She goes along with Yosuke in their win pose but immediately regrets it when he points it out to her.
- In the Hood: Wears a hoodie, but takes off the hood before fighting.
- Laser Blade: One of her Distortion Skills, The Diviner (aka Kannagi), transforms Mumei into a really large one.
- Leitmotif: Night Walker.
- The Mentor: To Hyde. She's almost like Rachel when it comes to this role, except that Linne's more willing.
- Named Weapons: Ironically enough, the names she's given to both of her weapons roughly translate to "No Name" (Mumei) and "Nameless" (Nanashi).
- Not so Above It All: Something Yosuke points out in their win quote together, much to her embarrassment.
- Really 700 Years Old: Her spirit forcibly inhabits the body of a young girl when her old vessel dies or is killed. While she may look like a child, she's lived for centuries. That said, she's tired of being immortal and intends to have Hyde kill her when all is said and done. In a way, she's envious of Labrys for the fact that her body can endure over the ages, given proper maintenance; not like Linne is aware of what goes into a mechanical body.
- Rebellious Princess: Subverted. She is referred by many as the Princess of the Night Blade but the Night Blade organization hardly exists anymore and she's out to undo her curse rather than uphold whatever goal her people once strove for. If anything, she wants them gone more than anyone else.
- Red Baron: Best known as the Princess of the Night Blade.
- Reverse Grip: Holds both her weapons like this.
- Shotoclone: Her projectile is her Kuuga/Sky Fang special, her Shoryuken is her Ren Getsurin/Rending Moon Gyre special.
- Spin Attack: Her Kannagi/The Diviner Distortion Skill has her doing multiple spinning slashes with her shining sword before smashing the ground to create a Pillar of Light.
- Super Speed: Her EXS Ability revolves around this.
- True Companions: Primarily with Waldstein but also extends to Hyde.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Her Fuurin/Whirlwind involves her rolling past her foe; it was originally an unnamed running command normal back in Under Night In-Birth before being turned into a standalone special move here.
Weapons: Iron Claws: The Destroyers
Voiced by: Kouji Ishii (Japanese), Keith Silverstein (English)
- Power: ★★★★★★★★★★
- Speed: ★
- Range: ★★★★★
- Casual: ★★★
- Luck: ★★★
- Allow me to test how much can your "vessel" hold.
Fitting for a man of his size, Waldstein boasts great striking power thanks to his EXS Ability: Hecatoncheir, the EXS of Mountainous Strength. To make the best use of his thunderous strikes and grapples, he dons a pair of custom-made iron gauntlets called The Destroyers, which allows him to stretch his reach out to compensate for his low mobility.
Similar but distinct to Tager, Waldstein is a mid-range grappler who also boasts a good variety of normals with outstanding reach. He also has the joint-highest HP in the game. That being said, he is the slowest character in the game on the ground, and he has a big hurtbox thanks to his huge body leaving him open to ambiguous crossovers. His reversal action is pretty slow on the draw as well and has limited range, so it must be used with care.
His Distortion Skills are Sturmangriff Rage (Storm Assault Rage), a full-screen charge that slams his opponent against the walls; and Werfen Erschlagen (Throw Slayer), a command grab that ends with a fiery body slam. His Astral Heat, Katastrophe (Catastrophe), has him grab his opponent and leap into the air. He then falls while holding his opponent in one flaming hand and slams them into the Earth, creating fissures out from the impact point that erupts with magma.
- Blade Spam: His Wirbelwind special has him slashing a few times with his claws.
- Blood Knight: His intro trailer has him looking forward to having some fun with all the new challengers around him. Ruby exploits this trait in her story by pitting him against Hakumen and then making off with the blue Keystone while they're occupied with each other.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He has a design that just screams villain, but he's one of the good guys in Under Night In-Birth.
- Deadly Lunge: His Sturmangriff Rage Distortion Skill has him lunging forward. If he hits, he then proceeds to drag the enemy towards the wall, then drags them again towards the other wall.
- Dishing Out Dirt: One of his Assist attacks is hurling a rock at the opponent.
- Face of a Thug: Waldstein looks very imposing and frightening, but he serves Linne, one of the main heroines from their home series.
- Grapple Move: As a dedicated grappler character, he has a number of powerful grab moves.
- Gratuitous German: His special moves are all named in German.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: Courtesy of his Werfen Erschlagen (Throw Slayer) Distortion Skill.
- Guttural Growler: He sounds a lot like Torbjorn without a Swedish accent.
- Heroic Build: He's a massive mountain of muscle, and serves one of the heroes of his game.
- Leitmotif: Maximize Power!
- Mighty Glacier: He is very strong, but very slow, as evident by his 10-star Power and 1-star Speed. Notably, he is one of the only characters in the game who walks by default and has to dash manually.
- No Pronunciation Guide: The Japanese pronunciation of Waldstein's name uses a long I sound (whald-stīn) as well as straight-up pronouncing it differently as "Wallenstein" while the English dub cast uses a long E sound (whald-steen). The correct way to pronounce it via authentic German would most likely be "Vhald-sh-tai-n".
- Old Master: The man has lived for over 200 years, and he's STILL kicking ass! He teaches Hyde how to kick ass too.
- Waldstein was originally Linne's mentor, but she rejected his might is right philosophy in favor of her Speed Blitz tactics. Mika now considers him one, and unlike Linne, completely embraces his teachings.
- Parrying Bullets: His large claws can be used to crush incoming projectiles.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Has completely red eyes and is a Blood Knight possessed of overwhelming strength.
- Undying Loyalty: To Kuon, and to Linne by extension of the former's request.
- Unskilled, but Strong: His attacks are extremely strong but extremely cumbersome. Heck, in his win quote with both Tager and Jubei, he states he prefers it this way; he basically denounces Tager's recommended use of tactics and/or Jubei's advice for adding actual technique in favor of just overpowering the enemy with brute strength.
- Wolverine Claws: A rather large and long pair at that.
Weapons: Demon Sickle: Devourer
Voiced by: Kosuke Toriumi (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)
- Attack : ★★★★
- Speed: ★★★
- Range: ★★★★★
- Casual: ★★★
- Grim Reaper: ★★★★★★
- I'll teach you... how to fight.
Gordeaus EXS Ability, the EXS of Greed: Snatcher, allows him to rip out pieces of anothers soul. The power appears in the form of long purple claws on his right hand. His weapon is a hollowed scythe called Demon Sickle: Devourer which he can summon out of thin air and can also harvest the souls of his enemies.
Gordeau's long scythe isn't just for show. He has many normals, assists and specials with excellent reach that hit in a wide arc; even if he is a bit on the slow side, approaching him safely is very hard. He has above average HP and a very strong neutral game. All these combined make Gordeau one of the easiest characters to pick up and play well, but beware, he is wide open to punishment if he misses.
His Distortion Skills are Mortal Slide: Divest and Turbulence, both of which are fast and strong combination attacks with his scythe. His Astral Heat, Soul Exodus (Soul Vanish in the Japanese version), has him stab his opponent in the gut with a claw made of dark energy. He then delivers a Three-Strike Combo that knocks the opponent into the air and summons Devourer above his head and charges it up before delivering a single, deadly slash that steals the opponents soul.
- Anti-Villain: To the point where the only thing "bad" about him is that he just so happens to work for his series' Big Bad, otherwise he's one of the nicest and most easygoing people in the game.
- Bad Powers, Good People: His ability, the EXS of Greed Snatcher, is supposed to rip out pieces of his opponent's soul. He's also a very laid back man who cares deeply for his comrades.
- Blood Knight: In his home series, Gordeau loves a good fight. Surprisingly, he likes his girls the same way, as shown with Ruby and Makoto.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He wears dark clothing, has dark powers, and looks pretty intimidating, but he's a down to earth guy.
- Enemy Mine: With Hyde and Orie when they needed tag partners. They make it clear that their partnership(s) is temporary until everyone makes it back to their world.
- Energy Absorption: Essentially what his EXS Ability does via his command grab special moves. In this game, he only steals a portion of the super meter so it's not quite as good compared to his home series where he could steal GRD.
- Femme Fatalons: He has very long fingernails on his right hand.
- Hammerspace: He normally doesn't wield his scythe, he only calls it onto his hand during certain moves.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: There is no telling where he pulls that large scythe of his from...
- Leitmotif: Rushing Heart
- Mighty Glacier: Has one of the bigger HP pools among the roster, and can shred health bars with ease with his long-range, punishing scythe attacks. However, his kit doesn't offer much in the way of mobility, and his attacks can be slow to come out, making it easy to unload on him if he can't keep his opponent out of punching range.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: Wears a purple Badass Longcoat and nothing underneath.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Works for Amnesia as a mercenary and does not take any of his fellow In-Births' animosity towards him personally, always trying to keep the atmosphere as friendly as he can get it. He even lends a helping hand in tag battles until they all get back to Kanzakai.
- Red Baron: Known as the Invincible Mercenary. He is sometimes referred by his old alias, the Harvester of Greed.
- Sinister Scythe: Wields one called Devourer. Unlike Ragna and Ruby's, it doesn't transform but gives him more reach.
- Spin Attack: His Grim Reaper and Aim Opening (localized as Precise Aim) special moves. His Turbulence Distortion Skill takes this up a notch.
- Three-Strike Combo: While it's locked behind an autocombo, he retains his classic Mortal Slide->Shade Harvest->Assimilation triple combo.
- Underestimating Badassery: Gordeau can't believe Yukiko is a fighter at all, not realizing that her Persona can start a towering inferno in seconds. Yukiko is more than happy to prove a point to him.
- With My Hands Tied: He usually keeps one of his hands in his pocket when fighting. He only lets it out for certain attacks, which reveals that he has long nails.
Weapon: Guardian of Law and Order: The Ruler
Voiced by: Saori Hayami (Japanese), Erica Mendez (English)
- Attack: ★★★
- Speed: ★★★★
- Range: ★★★
- Casual: ★★★★★
- Kawaii: ★★★★★★★★★★
- As long as we walk the path of righteousness... we shall never know defeat.
Upon becoming an Executor, Orie earned The Ruler, a rapier which she handles with equal parts grace and efficiency. Her EXS of Purity "Thanatos" is synced to the sword, allowing her to summon a spirit from it to fight alongside her.
Orie is a mid-range poker with good reach and speed. She can travel quickly across the screen and poke down any enemy that tries to approach her through the air. But her defense options on the ground are not great.
Her Distortion Skills are Sacred Spire Lucent, a powerful thrust that follows into a rising slash; and Luminous Embrace, which summons Thanatos to attack with a wave of holy light from its sword. Her Astral Heat, Rest In Peace, crucifies her opponent on a cross made of holy light, holding them in place for Thanatos to run them through with its massive blade.
- Badass Boast: Shares one with Jin if they're teamed-up together. Bonus points for finishing each other's sentences in complete sync.Jin: Let the hammer of justice fall...Orie: ... on all who would disrupt order.
Orie: Salvation for the righteous.Izayoi: Punishment for the unjust.
- She has one when teamed with Tsubaki/Izayoi as well, complete with raising their swords together.
- Blade Spam: A staple of her weapon class, Orie is able to quickly stab at her enemies in rapid succession.
- Church Militant: As per her position as a ranked Executor of Licht Kreis.
- Combat Stilettos: Goes into a battle wearing 15 cm heels.
- Deadly Lunge: Her Divine Thrust specials send her charging forward with her rapier.
- Downloadable Content: Part of the first pack, alongside Platinum and Kanji, which was released on the game's launch date and was available for free during the first two weeks after release.
- Didn't Think This Through: She attempted to steal Ragna's Keystone in an attempt to get everyone back to their homeworlds but didn't know what to do after that, which Hazama points out.
- Enemy Mine: When on a team with Gordeau or Merkava.
- Foil: Orie and Weiss are both ladies of war that wield rapiers and use summoning powers in battle but while Orie is simply a regular girl that gives off the image of a high-class girl, Weiss actually does come from a high-class lifestyle.
- Orie and Tsubaki/Izayoi are practically the same person character-wise, strong women with an even stronger sense of justice. That being said, Orie's powers come directly from her skills and her EXS and her conflict against Hyde is that of rival organizations, as opposed to Tsubaki whose Mind Eater forced her to fight against those she loves, namely Noel, Makoto, and Jin until they broke the curse.
- Guardian Entity: Thanatos, the spirit within her rapier fights alongside her. Unlike a persona, Orie's guardian cannot be damaged by attacks and does not hurt Orie when it receives damage.
- Inspector Javert: To Ragna, upon finding one of his wanted posters.
- Kick Chick: When it's not using her own rapier or Thanatos' blade, Orie is exceptionally well-versed with kicking.
- Leitmotif: Purity and Strictly.
- Light 'em Up: Thanatos' blade and aura are composed of light.
- Morality Pet: She is this to Jin, out of all people. He's rather nice to her; with her being very similar to Tsubaki (his Love Interest) definitely has something to do with it.
- Nice Girl: She is one of the nicest characters from her universe. In Episode P4A, she tries to talk Linne out of trying to fight the Investigation Team in hopes of a peaceful resolution.
- Puppet Fighter: Much like the Persona characters, Orie is assisted by Thanatos. Unlike the Persona characters, Orie does not have to worry about her puppet being damaged and it cannot be hit out of its attacks.
- Royal Rapier: The Ruler she wields. It also can tell if someone is evil, and will not deal fatal wounds to those who are not evil.
- Ship Tease: She's rather close with Hyde. To a lesser extent, she is one of the only individuals in the game Jin is nice to; the Fridge Brilliance here is that Orie has much in common with Tsubaki Yayoi, his Love Interest.
- Spell My Name with an S: The game's localization spells her last name as "Valadier", and the English dub pronounces it as such.
- Sword Plant: Her Luminous Embrace Distortion Skill involves her planting her rapier while Thanatos' own blade sends out waves of light pillars.
Weapon: Rein Blood
Voiced by: Takashi Kondo (Japanese), Greg Chun (English)
- Attack: ★★★★
- Speed: ★★★★
- Range: ★★★★
- Casual: ★★★
- Blood: ★★★★★★
- Well, you better not bore me...
Carmine's EXS Ability, the EXS of Lifeblood: Blood Spike, is a rare power, allowing him to weaponize his very blood in battle. His imagination is the limit, as he can form daggers, traps, lances and the like. While this does eat away at his vitality, he can regain his lost strength by sapping the blood of others.
Carmine is a rushdown glass cannon. He can do tons of damage on his own even without meter or assists and nearly any hit can open into a massively damaging combo. While his health is above average, his blood moves drain it rapidly so good HP management is essential. His anti-air game is pretty subpar though and he lacks mixups on his own, forcing him to rely on his partner for assists.
His Distortion Skills are HAHAHAHA! Be Devoured!, which attacks his opponents from a distance with spikes of blood; and No Escape!/Soon you can't run...!, which summons blood from any puddles he has laid out to encase his opponent and hold them in place. His Astral Heat, You Shit! This is the End!, encases his opponent in a coffin of blood before skewering them with several blood spikes.
- Bloody Murder: His EXS Ability allows him to use his blood in battle and create weapons with it.
- Blood Knight: Carmine fights for the simple thrill of fighting and laughing at the face of his defeated opponents. His confrontational disposition was what led him to seek out being bit by a Void intentionally to gain his abilities. It turns out in Episode Under Night In-Birth that he doesn't want to return home; he just wants to stay in the Phantom Field and have fun with his opponents forever.
- Boredom Montage: He hopes that the new challengers won't bore him out.
- Butt-Monkey: Much like in his home series, Carmine isn't taken very seriously. That his dub voice makes it far more clear just how much of a tryhard loser he is.
- Cast from Hit Points: Any specials that create a pool of blood will cost him health, with most of them being projectiles and long-range attacks. Unlike his home-series however, his HP costs are slightly mitigated by the presence of recoverable red-health which allows him to utilize his health more freely. But...
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!/Balance Buff: On the flipside, Carmine loses the ability to use his Force Function, which was the ability to either place a new blood pool on the fly and/or move pre-existing ones in set locations to where he'd like, along with only having one normal EX Move (the other 3 became his j.C, Reversal Action and one of his Distortion Skills). However, Carmine can now instead set up to around 4 blood pools instead despite his original limit in Under Night In-Birth being 2 maximum.
- Downloadable Content: Part of the second pack, alongside Jubei and Aegis, which was released on June 19, alongside the third pack.
- Fantastic Racism: Downplayed in that it only occurs in post-combat commentary and he'll work with her so long as he gets to beat people up, but Carmine wants none of Makoto's rehab or "animal blood" on him.
- Foil: Carmine has a lot in common with Hazama's alter-ego, Yuuki Terumi - this similarity is even addressed in the story. They're both cruel and psychotic individuals with incredible power, and they act as the antagonists to their spiky-haired, rough-around-the-edges guys with swords; they also have No Social Skills which makes them spew foul words and have fairly dark-mannered interactions with others. In story Carmine and Hazama act as the Token Evil Teammate for their respective factions. The chief difference between the two is that Hazama is a cunning Manipulative Bastard who has dark goals for his world, while Carmine is just an unabashed Blood Knight who only cares about using his powers to start a fight.
- Even more so between him and Terumi; what sets them apart is that Terumi was intentionally an Eviler than Thou antagonist due to his desire to cause pain to both sustain himself and to give a big middle finger to his home universe's highest overseer along with possessing a massive ego; while Carmine still being in his youth is implied to have no other way to properly express himself outside of combat and doesn't give a care about his own standing in life or how others view him; all he wants to do is fight.
- With Yukiko, both are highly competitive warriors with a love and penchant for a fight, but Yukiko has a cool, ladylike air to it. Carmine throws all caution to the wind and shows no restraint in his desires.
- Glass Cannon: Has great options for zoning and close combat but his use of HP in his special attacks makes him a bit more fragile. It's a bit balanced out in that he has 18,000 HP. Not to mention it also overlaps with Difficult, but Awesome in that his tools aren't to be recklessly used due to the gaps in his attacks/pressure being apparent enough to be whiff-punished.
- Hates Everyone Equally: He has absolutely nothing nice to say to anyone. Not to Weiss, not to Luna, not even to someone like Nine!
- Hey, You!: Being the type of guy he is, Carmine refuses to call anyone by their names. Hyde and Mika are "brat", Orie and Yuzuriha are "lady", Linne and Vatista are "girl", Waldstein is "old man", Gordeau is "Greed", and Merkava is "beast".
- Jobber: One of the only characters who is fought in all four routes of Episode Mode, and unlike Es, you never team up with him (for obvious reasons.)
- Leitmotif: Bad Surface.
- Life Drain: To offset his Cast from Hit Points, he can replenish some of his health with both his normal throw and command throw which is mapped to the last hit of his 'A' smart combo.
- Insult Backfire: Really doesn't mind that Weiss calls him an animal for his lust for battle; even then in his home series, Carmine has stated that he doesn't even care if he himself "dies atop a pile of trash".
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Carmine's hair is actually white, but before battle, he dyes it red... With his own blood.
- Red Baron: Known on the streets as Carmine Prime. The name Carmine isn't even his real name, however.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The whites of his eyes turn blood red when he enters combat.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: He has quite the filthy mouth. Also, just look at the name of his Astral Heat.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Of Yuuki Terumi. Hazama even calls him as such in Episode RWBY.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: While it could just as much fit his partner character, one of his victory lines can be taken as this, considering he seems to be looking towards the screen.Carmine: Maybe you'd be more entertaining...
- Token Evil Teammate: Of the UNIB characters that appeared in the first Episode Mode. During the episode for his franchise, he actively fights Hyde, stating he doesn't care about going back to his own world and would rather stay in the Phantom Field forever.
- Vocal Evolution: Carmine's English voice acting for his new lines in the 2.0 update is deeper and rougher sounding, a bit more in line with the Japanese voice, while at the same time keeping a lot of the emphasis on his edgy dork nature from the 1.0 lines.
- Wild Card: In comparison to the other characters, Carmine has no specific ties to any organization which makes his addition to the roster a puzzling one in a story stand-point as he doesn't get along with others at all. Whereas Gordeau is at least amicable and isn't too involved with the Night Blade and is on edge against Licht Kreis, Carmine feels nothing but contempt for large groups. He even outright states he hates groups and prefers to fight by himself.
- Worthy Opponent: Should he be defeated in battle, he will praise his opponent before losing consciousness.Carmine: You've got some skill...
Weapon: Aegis-Attributor: Crimson Wings: Seven Flowers
Voiced by: Nao Tōyama (Japanese), Xanthe Huynh (English)
- Attack: ★★★
- Speed: ★★★
- Range: ★★★★★★★★★★★
- Casual: ★★★
- Kawaii: ★★★★★★★★★★
- *Yaaawwnnn* Sleepy...
As she is a construct and not an In-Birth, Vatista utilizes FLS, a different but similar energy to EXS which acts as an artificial version of it in combat. She fights with the Aegis Attributor a set of six Razor Wings she can manipulate as blades and her close-combat fighting involve many ballet-like movement. Her primary ability is to manipulate light in projectiles such as beams, fireballs, short-range blasts, and explosive crystals. She also retains her passive ability of being immune to Counter-Hit states.
Though still the zoner she was in her home game, Vatista no longer uses charge inputs for nearly all her moves and so is infinitely more accessible. She excels at using projectiles for her specials, especially her lasers which cut through other projectiles. For closer ranges she can call on some normals with good speed and range. However her high combo damage is gone, and you will need to manage meter and use assists to reach anything resembling her previous damage potential.
Her Distortion Skills are Lacteus Orbis, a powerful full-screen laser; and Ruber Angelus Animus, a series of rising strikes that follows into a downward slashing kick. Her Astral Heat, Zahissio, traps the enemy in a sigil that binds them in place as she calls upon a destructive ray of light that vaporizes them.
- Ambiguously Human: It hasn't been fully explained what an Autonomic Nerve actually is, so it's uncertain whether Vatista is a Homunculi, a robot, or some combination of the two. Although she does have a sense of taste and can consume food.
- A win dialogue with Linne has Vatista explain that Autonomic Nerves are made when doll bodies (inorganic) are given human souls (organic) so that they could possess art and instinct. However, she doesn't specify if these were newly-created souls (which would mean she is just a living doll) or if the souls were taken from living people. This raises some concerns as to the exact process of her creation, especially since it was implied in her home series that there was once over 10,000 Autonomic Nerves.
- Angelic Beauty: With her white hair, angel motifs from her blade wings and her general cuteness, Vatista looks the part of a younger version of this trope. Her adult form is undeniably an example.
- Badass Adorable: She is ranked as level ten in her Kawaii stat, and she's one of the most powerful characters in her home game's story (and given she shares her setting with Eldritch Abominations and winners of the Superpower Lottery, that is to mean she is powerful indeed).
- Beam Spam: She's able to constantly throw out beams of light that stretch across the screen in an instant, and incorporates them into her melee combos as well.
- Boobs-and-Butt Pose: Strikes one in her character art, despite not having much to show off in the former department.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Within her reveal trailer, she says Penny's "Combat Ready" line.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Vatista's as detached from ordinary human behavior as she always is. When facing off with Platinum against Ruby and Rachel, the subject of their small bodies are brought up by the announcer. Vatista, in utmost seriousness, contemplates changing her current body into a "beefy, macho, muscle-type", claiming that it diffuses heat better. In the very same conversation, she associates the word "cool" with refrigerators, leading to this bizarre sentence:
- The Comically Serious: Vatista's more ridiculous dialogue wouldn't be half as amusing if she didn't deliver it all with the same stone-faced monotone as the rest of what she says.
- Downloadable Content: Part of the third pack, alongside Hakumen and Naoto, which was released on June 19, alongside the second pack.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: The BlazBlue fans might think of her as "If Lambda had Rachel's taste in clothing".
- Gratuitous Latin: The naming of her moves.
- Hair Antennae: In the shape of a halo, to add to her angel motif.
- Hartman Hips: Not too noticeable at first, but freeze-framing her intro animation shows that she's got rather wide hips◊.
- Humans Are Special: Seems to come to this conclusion after fighting alongside Ruby and Weiss. Auras and Semblances allow humans to gain immense power and fantastical abilities purely from inherent potential and at little cost to the user; in the UNIB universe it's more a Touched by Vorlons deal, with humans gaining powers only by surviving encounters with horrific creatures, and even then they're still changed irrevocably.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Her Mico Ruceo, Lux Fortis and Lacteus Orbis.
- Last of Her Kind: It is believed that a veritable army of ten thousand Autonomic Nerves like her were created for the purpose of overseeing the Hollow Night and protecting it. Now, she is one of the last three in existence.
- Leitmotif: Snow Sisters.
- Long-Range Fighter: She's still punishing at close range, but the amount of projectiles in her skillset justifies her breaking the ratings scale on the Range stat. Funny enough, her sheer difficulty in her home game gives her so many options that she can be used for horrific rushdowns as well. It remains to be seen for this game because ArcSys definitely had to make her much easier, so she likely lost some her more crazy tricks.
- Nice Girl: One of the few characters to have no truly negative interactions with anybody, including Merkava and Susanoo, being extremely polite most of the time.
- Razor Wings: Her Aegis Attributor, and her weapon of choice.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted. She's rather mild-mannered most of the time, but if you threaten the tranquility of the Hollow Night, she won't rest until she beats your ass.
- Ship Tease: Hyde is her Only Friend, and she's in turn one of the few characters to not verbally drag him in any way.
- Shotoclone: Has the projectile (Lumen Stella), rush forward move (her BB and j.B) and anti-air (Ruber Augelus).
- Sleepyhead: See the above quote. Vatista is only awake when she's required to kill something, so she's spent many years in a dormant state.
- The Stoic: She's far from emotive, and very rarely sheds the same blank facial expression. Her "happy" expression on her lobby avatar changes so little that you pretty much have to zoom in on her face to notice any difference.
- Stone Wall: Physically at least, as she retains her unique trait from Under Night which nullifies the unique properties of counter hits landed on her (e.g. no longer combo window on the first hit), so some fancier and more damaging followups won't work.
- Tron Lines: She has red ones that line her clothing. They are actually Curse Commandments that allow her to use her FLS abilities.
- True Companions: Seemingly with Hyde seeing as how he's the only person she has made a bond with.
Weapon: Dark Bite
Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi (Japanese), Ben Diskin (English)
- A most curious encounter. Interesting.
Merkava is a technical character dependent on good positioning and thus a character best left to intermediate or advanced players. His long limbs allow him to really reach across the screen and threaten an opponent, and uniquely he can fly so his screen mobility is good as well. His anti-air game is very strong as a result. However he is pretty slow, not particularly hard-hitting, and he is a tall target so he is vulnerable to combos if he is caught out.
Being a Void, Merkava can only consume EXS and cannot actually use it. Instead, he wields the FLS of The Basilisk: Jormungandr, which grants him the ability to morph his body, allowing him to stretch his limbs to increase his reach, sprouting wings to take flight, breath fire, and creating independent-acting serpents from parts of his body. His Distortion Skills are I, Resentfully Rage, which batters enemies on either side with his whip-like arms; and I, Frolick, a diving attack followed into a powerful ground slam. His Astral Heat, I, Overrun, grabs his opponent before he devours them alive, the gruesome spectacle shown from his victim's point of view.
- Anti-Villain: When he's not being driven by his Horror Hunger, he has no desire to harm anyone and isn't actively malicious.
- Berserk Button: Do not treat him as just a mindless, man-eating monster otherwise he'll be more than happy to play that part.
- Breath Weapon: He can spit fireballs, just one of the many abilities granted by the FLS of the Basilisk: Jormungandr.
- Downloadable Content: Part of the fourth pack, alongside Izayoi and Mitsuru, which was released on August 6, 2018, alongside the fifth and sixth packs.
- Eldritch Abomination: As a Void, Merkava's body has been twisted into a dark beast. His abilities are appropriately bizarre, as he can stretch his limbs, sprout wings, and breathe flames.
- Guttural Growler: His "voice" is very deep and gravelly.
- Hey, You!: Merkava hasn't bothered to learn anyone's name, preferring to just call them "human", though he does have specific nicknames for certain individuals.
- Horror Hunger: While he tries to keep it in check, his body will start craving EXS (essentially, a person's soul) eventually and his natural instincts will take over. He absolutely loathes this because it does nothing but reinforces to people that he's just a monster when he wants to be seen as anything but.
- Leitmotif: Unseen Entities
- Odd Friendship: Merkava, a vicious dark Void, befriends the likes of Jubei (a cat who happens to be one of the strongest beings on the planet), Naoto Shirogane (a cross-dressing detective) and Blake (a cat faunus who pretends to be human) in his victory dialogue when paired with them. Jubei notes that Merkava still has enough humanity to not completely fall to his feral urges, Blake protects him on the basis he doesn't harm innocent people and Naoto promises to investigate his condition and find his human soul.
- Pet the Dog:
- When partnered with Mai, he senses a conflict between her body and spirit (as per her back story, she was born as male and then transformed into a girl thanks to a Grimoire) and encourages her to abandon her current form to fix that problem.
- Is on the receiving end of this in his interactions with Naoto Shirogane, Blake, and Jubei. Jubei acknowledges his human side and believes that Merkava is more than a mindless beast, Blake promises to protect him, should he promise to not hurt the innocent, and Naoto vows to find the human soul within, and investigate his peculiar condition. Naoto is even kind enough to address him as "Merkava-san".
- Power Echoes: Merkava doesn't speak like a human would, instead he communicates via telepathy. His "voice" has a distinct reverb effect.
- Vocal Evolution: In 1.0, Ben Diskin gives Merkava a Guttural Growler performance when he's in his more lucid moments, and goes into higher-pitched snarls when his inner beast begins to take hold. For Merkava's new dialogue in 2.0, the Guttural Growler aspect is virtually nonexistent, and his voice gets even raspier.
- Was Once a Man: A human turned Eldritch Abomination, however, he's managed to retain his human consciousness so he's not just a mindless beast.
Weapon: Iris Blade: Kamiji-no-Homare
Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura (Japanese), Erica Lindbeck (English)
- Why don't you show me what you've got?
Yuzuriha's EXS ability, the EXS of Falling Flowers: Ainsel Lost, grants her incredible speed, allowing her to Flash Step and draw her blade in a blink of an eye. With this speed in conjunction with her ancestral sword, the Iris Blade, she is a fierce swordswoman whose quick-draw techniques let her cut through her enemies before they can react.
Yuzu is a mid-range zoner with excellent reach and a few tools for applying pressure from across the screen, with terrifying mixups to keep an opponent on their tiptoes. Her close-up game is much less impressive because she has few fast normals, and she can be open to punishment if she whiffs or is blocked as her recovery is quite slow.
Her Distortion Skills are Second Type: Raging Bloom *2, a series of rapid-fire quick-draw slashes; and Secret Skill: Luster Birth, a powerful combination of slashes. Her Astral Heat, Zeroth Type: Life Crimson, traps her opponent in a cocoon of silk tapestries before delivering the final slash.
- BFS: Her sword is easily taller than her, which doesn't hinder her at all to use it for battoujutsu
- Boobs of Steel: She is easily the bustiest member of this game's UNI cast, and not someone to trifle within battle.
- Coat Cape: She wears a yukata over her shoulders in a similar way to Kanji and his school uniform's coat.
- Combat Stilettos: Like Orie, wears a pair of high heels in her normal combat outfit.
- Cool Big Sis: Was this to Hyde in the past, but "something" happened that put a strain in their relationship in the present day. She still acts like one to Hyde in their special interactions (much to Hyde's embarrassment), as well as to a couple of younger characters in the roster.
- Downloadable Content: Part of the fifth pack, alongside Mai and Akihiko, which was released on August 6, 2018, alongside the fourth and sixth packs.
- Fangirl: While not to the same extent as Ruby is to Ragna's Bloodscythe, she seems to be this towards Jin's sword, the Nox Nyctores: Yukianesa, taking an interest in it.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Her fighting style heavily incorporates quickly slashing her opponents and just as quickly re-sheathing her blade.
- Leitmotif: Walking Lily Flower♪
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Has red eyes and is a fierce swordswoman.
Weapon: Pachelbel Cannon
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki (Japanese), Cassandra Lee Morris (English)
- Just call on my name, and I will appear!
Mika is quite unique in that she is a grappler with good mobility and air movement, and being a UNI character she can punish opponents easily by using the reversal action feature. Her reach is a bit stubby and her combo damage is relatively low though.
Mika's EXS ability, the EXS of Drive: Diesel, grants her the superhuman strength needed to wield her weapon of choice: a pair of massive gauntlets known collectively as the Pachelbel Cannon. Using her gauntlets' rocket thrusters in conjunction with strong punches and powerful grappling moves, Mika is a Pint-Sized Powerhouse who is dangerous to approach. Her Distortion Skills are Mika-chan Revolution, a rising attack followed into a Meteor Move; and Mika-chan Hip Strike, a hip strike followed into an uppercut and explosion. Her Astral Heat, Mika-chan Galaxy, sends her opponent flying into the air before flying after them and delivering one last super-powered double-punch.
- Cute Bruiser: Cute as a button and capable of punching you over the horizon without breaking a sweat!
- The Determinator: The story of how she came to Japan to help Orie is nothing short of inspirational.
- Downloadable Content: Part of the sixth pack, alongside Nine and Labrys, which was released on August 6, 2018, alongside the fourth and fifth packs.
- Leitmotif: Forceful Step, and by extension, Pachelbel's Canon in D.
- Odd Friendship: She somehow manages to get along with Azrael of all people.
- Power Fist: The Pachelbel Cannon gauntlets are about half as long as Mika is tall, and several times as thick.
- Rocket Punch: The Pachelbel Cannon gauntlets have rocket thrusters in them that let Mika deliver rocket-powered punches.
- Third-Person Person: An usual habit of Mika. She averts it, however, when put on English.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Orie.
- Unskilled, but Strong: As expected of someone who follows Waldstein's philosophy of using brute strength to win fights.
Weapon: Indulgence of Elimination: The Eliminators
Voiced by: Yuuki Kaji (Japanese), Mark Whitten (English)
- I shall bury you in the blink of an eye.
Seth is a speedy rushdown character in the same vein as Yosuke, able to cross the screen from long range in an instant. Combined with his good mixups and projectile "Captive Segment", and Seth is a character who can overwhelm an opponent easily if they do not keep him under control. His HP is below average, and his damage potential is generally mediocre - he can rack up good damage, but he needs the right setups to pull it off.
His Distortion Skills are Chained Nefarity (Rensa no Nefarious/Nefarious of Linked Chains in Japanese), a rush of numerous attacks before Seth kicks his victim into the air and assaults them further with a shadowy clone; and Last Rite Execution (Chuuzai no Ekusekyuuto/Execute of Penalty Sin in Japanese), his command grab where he grabs his opponent by the collar, leaps onto their shoulders and slits their throat. His Astral Heat, Distant Frontier (Kyoukai no Distant/Distant of Boundary in Japanese), is an even quicker barrage of attacks where Seth leaps from corner to corner at blinding speeds to fill the entire screen with slashes. Seth reappears away from his opponent as they take in all the strikes at once and falls.
- Anti-Hero: He is a Professional Killer and his primary motivation is to kill Linne to fulfill his promise to her and free himself from the last remaining link to his past. Naturally, this puts him in direct opposition to Hyde.
- The Atoner: The reason he's so determined to fulfill his mission is to atone for the role his clan had in the dissolution of Night Blade.
- Badass Boast: Shares one with Jin when they're teamed-up. Bonus points for finishing each other's sentence that doubles as well in their victory interactions.Jin: Your life can end one of two ways:Seth: Freeze eternally or disappear into darkness. Your choice.Jin: Sleep now under the freezing night.Seth: And lament the folly of challenging us.
- Badass Longcoat: His standard outfit when out in the night.
- Confusion Fu: His proximity-based teleports and their myriad follow-ups provide him a number of options in his approach, though his high-low mixup isn't too good.
- Criss-Cross Attack: His Distortion Skill, "Chained Nefarity/Rensa no Nefarious" (Nefarious of Linked Chains), involves assaulting his opponent in a series of quick attacks from all sides.
- Cutting the Knot: His way of rescuing an unconscious Linne from a game of Pirate Pop Up? Just hit every single hole at once. System calls him out on it but also states that it's technically not against the rules and lets it slide.
- Downloadable Content: Part of the seventh pack, alongside Naoto Kurogane, Teddie, and Heart and will be released in Spring 2019.
- Dual Wielding: Brandishes the Eliminators with both hands.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: His default expression.
- Foil: He and Hyde's circumstances are quite similar as to how their lives were changed after their meeting with Linne. While Hyde had the coincidental fortune of having his powers be compatible for lifting Linne's curse, Seth had no such luck as his EXS powers did not come packaged with an Indulgence weapon. His melancholy over not being able to help Linne fuels his self-vindication in setting things right with her.
- Also applies to Yuzuriha as their families were part of the Night Blade schism. Yuzuriha's ancestors wished to train their powers and exert themselves while Seth's ancestors desired to keep themselves hidden. Yuzuriha upholds her family's tradition with a lot more heart than Seth ever has, albeit, probably with a bit lazier attitude compared to the mission of atonement Seth pursues.
- Fragile Speedster: Carried over from the main series. His movement is quick, but he's tied with Nu, Yosuke, Yukiko, Naoto (Shirogane), and Blake for the lowest HP in the game. He's also the first Under Night character to have such low health.
- Hair Antennae: A standard to most Under Night characters.
- Leitmotif: Monochrome Memory, as well as Mutual Situation when paired up with Hyde, which makes them the only pair from another series with their own theme song.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: He feels he's the only one who can free Linne from her curse, which he states towards her in their win quote. Linne doesn't think he has it in him though.
- Red Baron: Simply known as the Assassin out in the night.
- Reverse Grip: Holds his knives in this fashion.
- The Rival: To Hyde.
- The Stoic: He's not exactly the emotive type and carries out his dealings with a straight face and few words.
Weapon: Dress of Darkness: Masquerade
Voiced by: Hatsumi Takada (Japanese), Allegra Clark (English)
- Too bad... That was your last chance to run away.
Hilda possesses the EXS of Light and Darkness: Paradox, a fusion of two abilities, her original EXS Ability, which allows her to manipulate light, and her weapon, the Dress of Darkness: Masquerade, which allows her to manipulate darkness. Though she mainly uses her abilities to attack via summoning blades.
Her Distortion Skills are Nail Torrent where she generates a barrage of swords to rain down to the ground and Impalement in which if she connects successfully with her initial strike, the opponent will rise forcefully into the air and get assaulted by countless swords as Hilda laughs heartlessly. Her Astral Heat, In The Darkness, blankets the entire arena in a veil of darkness from which she can relentlessly attack her victim.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: Averted, much like in her home series, the colors on Hilda's dress are consistent regardless of which direction she faces.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Being the leader of Amnesia, it's no surprise.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her outfit is half white, half black and split down the middle.
- Lady of Black Magic: A diva in a gown with magical powers over light and darkness to relentlessly attack opponents.
- Leitmotif: Overwhelm Despair.
- Long-Range Fighter: Can probably give Nu-13 a run for her money in this department.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Loves belting these out in her home game. She even belts one out in her trailer.
- Powers Do the Fighting: She barely moves while using any of her attacks.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her right eye is red, and she is not a woman to be trifled with.
- Sequel Difficulty Drop: Hilda is notable for being one of the hardest characters to play in her home game, commonly being ranked as being among the likes of Seth and Vatista. Due to the more beginner-friendly design of this game, she will be significantly easier.
- Slouch of Villainy: When performing certain moves, she chills out on a seat of darkness. Even her portrait shows her sitting comfortably on that seat of darkness.
- Storm of Blades: Her Condensity Bloom special and her Nail Torrent Distortion Skill unleash dozens of darkness daggers at her opponent.
- The Tease: Isn't afraid to casually flirt with her partners, but it's mostly for the sake of trying to recruit more members into her organization; true to her home series, she seems mostly interested in getting Hyde to join.
- Unskilled, but Strong: She got lucky with her EXS powers and happens to be the most powerful character of her home series. But she is just a rich girl with no combat training and she's actually quite naive to boot.
- We Can Rule Together: Offers many of her partners a chance to join Amnesia in the results screen should they win. Most turn her down on the offer.