open/close all folders
Portrayed by: Nina Dobrev
"I don't question why everyone tries so hard to save me. You shouldn't question why I try so hard to save everyone else."
Elena is a 17-year-old popular, beautiful human girl. She is the protagonist of the series. Elena reassesses her priorities following the death of her parents in a car crash of which she's the only survivor. Elena fatefully meets a handsome, mysterious new student, Stefan Salvatore, and she feels an instant and undeniable connection with him. After a period of time, Elena starts to realize that Stefan is in fact far from normal. Unbeknown to her, Elena is far from normal as well. As a Gilbert, she is a descendant of one of the town's Founding Families. She dies in "The Departed" before it's revealed that Meredith gave her vampire blood earlier in the night and she wakes in the transitional stage.
- Action Girl: When she becomes a vampire, she becomes tougher, stronger and has superhuman abilities. She is also a trained hunter because Alaric trained her in season three.
- Action Survivor: She's far too likely to be a Distressed Damsel, but she is pretty competent while trying to defend herself. For example, when a strange vampire is trying to kill her, she stabs him with pencils - repeatedly - and then breaks a mop over her knee to try to stake him, and when a werewolf attacks her, she instantly sticks a knife into his gut. She's also adept at using her surroundings while trying to run away if pursued by a supernatural.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Elena was blonde in the original books, but on the show, she is a brunette.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Her relationships with Stefan (brooding, mysterious loner) and Damon (rebellious, wild bad boy).
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: She is a cheerleader in the first season but she quits due to personal reasons. She's considered attractive and is actually a nice gal.
- Amicable Exes:
- With Matt. They were a couple before beginning of the series and they remain good friends.
- Subverted with Stefan, who proclaims that he is 'done with her' after realizing she was in love with his brother. (Which shouldn't have surprised him, considering the fact that he called her out on being in love with Damon before she became a vampire.)
- Badass Normal: Elena as a regular human is capable of defending herself against all of the supernatural beings around her. Before she was turned into a vampire, she was a Badass Normal.
- Became Their Own Antithesis: In the first season, Elena frequently says that she doesn't want to be compared to Katherine. But now, with her becoming a vampire and having her humanity shut off completely, she has become more like Katherine and not just in the looks department.
- Beware the Nice Ones: A very sweet and kind person but more than capable of putting you down if she's provoked. Hurt anyone of Elena's loved ones and watch her wrath.
- Big Sister Instinct: Towards Jeremy. Elena is seen to highly protective of Jeremy, even more so now considering that Jeremy is the only family that she really has left. She often lectures him, acting more like a mother figure to him from time to time.
- Birds of a Feather: With Stefan. It seems that Elena and Stefan have various things in common, most notably the fact that both Stefan and Elena like to write in journals and record their thoughts. This was emphasized in the Pilot episode.
- Blessed with Suck: Elena is the doppelgänger and therefore, because of it, she is the target of much danger. Elena's blood is special and is used for many spells and binding rituals, such as breaking Klaus' werewolf/hybrid curse and also, creating hybrids. So basically Elena is a human blood bag for vampires, witches, werewolves and hybrids.
- Born Unlucky: Elena is born a doppelganger, which means she's cursed with doom, pain, tragedy, and death. Because of her identity, many people she loves end up dying because of her. And the tragic or sad thing about it is that it's completely out of her control.
- Brainy Brunette: She's a pretty white girl with brown hair. She's smart, mature and a good student.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: Elena did this with Stefan in season two by breaking up with Stefan in order to protect Stefan and her family and friends from Katherine Pierce.
- Break the Cutie: Elena goes from a happy, normal girl next door (despite the loss of her parents) to a girl who suffers almost everyday on a daily basis. In the past year, she has gone through so much chaos in such a short amount of time.
- Broken Bird: Especially after her parents had died, Elena becomes cynical about life. She even admits that after the accident, she feels like she doesn't know how to live anymore. She's constantly losing loved ones, there is her doppelganger curse, being turned into a vampire etc.
- Broken Heroine: Been through endless grief and tragedy, yet still manages to keep going regardless.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Elena is the Gentle Girl to Stefan's Brooding Boy. In the beginning, Stefan is a brooding, mysterious loner who meets and falls for Elena, the sweet, gentle girl next door. Despite Stefan's ongoing angsting, especially about his guilt and his dark, mysterious past, Elena often makes Stefan smile and brings out a much lighter, playful side of Stefan.
- Came Back Wrong: After she was turned into a vampire, it was discovered that Elena is sired to Damon.
- Character Tics: Elena tucks her hair behind her ear a lot.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Matt. They grew up together since childhood and eventually began dating in their teen years.
- Cool Big Sis: She's a cool older sister to Jeremy. She's very protective of her troubled younger brother.
- Dating Catwoman: With Damon. Many of her friends and family seem to disapprove of her romantic relationship with Damon, most notably Caroline.
- Designated Victim: Elena seems to be the victim of getting attacked, kidnapped, or hurt every single week.
- Deus Angst Machina: It's a wonder the girl hasn't broken down yet, with all the tragedy she's experienced. Parents dead, discovered they're not really her parents, biological parents die, aunt and father-figure die, faces death on a daily basis, boyfriend went insane and homicidal, became a vampire, the list goes on and on and on. And then she finally breaks down, flips her vampire switch and literally burns the whole house down in the wake of Jeremy's death. The angst, this girl cannot get enough.
- Disappeared Dad: Her adoptive father Grayson is deceased. As well as her biological father, John.
- Distress Ball: Especially when she was a human, she was the one in trouble. Elena was always the target of supernatural beings, including vampires, werewolves, witches and Originals, which always put Elena in constant danger.
- Dude Magnet: Nearly every male character is attracted or has been drawn to Elena, including Stefan, Damon, Elijah, and Matt. Subjective in the case of Elijah, since it may have simply been interest at her resemblance to Tatia, the love he shared with his brother Klaus.
- Dying Declaration of Love:
- Dying Damon declares his love to Elena in 2x22, going so far as to say he didn't regret any of his past choices, horrible as they were, because if he hadn't made them he would never have met her.
- She confesses her love to Stefan in 4x01. She tells Stefan as she is dying from not feeding on human blood during her transformation that she came back for Stefan because she loved him.
- Easily Forgiven: All of the characters seem to easily forgive Elena if she screws up or makes mistakes. Her mistakes are normally glossed over. (The same applies to most characters on the show, especially the vampires. Elena has certainly forgiven Stefan and Damon for a whole lot in the past 3+ seasons.)
- Emotion Suppression: In 4x15, when Damon told Elena to turn off her humanity off and to suppress her emotions.
- Eternal Love: Now that Elena is a vampire, she can be in a relationship with Stefan for all eternity. In 4x01, Elena tells Stefan that she wants to be with him forever. Apparently not, because in 4x06 it's all over.
- The Fashionista: Since turning into a vampire in season four, Elena in way more interested in fashionable and trendy clothing.
- The Fettered: Elena is one of the characters that is the primary moral compass of the show. She lives by a strong set of morals, ideals, values and beliefs and always believes in doing the right thing.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: Retains her kindness and compassion even after she turns and becomes a vampire.
- Girl Next Door: Despite her popularity and beauty, Elena is the typical friendly, sweet "good girl" and she's easy to talk to.
- Go-Getter Girl: Elena is highly active socially. She is scholarly, ambitious and hardworking. She is always involved in the extra school curricular activities and events.
- Good Girl Gone Bad: After Elena had her humanity switched off, Elena became much more rebellious and uncaring.
- Good Is Not Soft: Elena is generally nice and caring but it isn't a good idea to get on her bad side by hurting people she loves.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Elena has a bit of a jealous streak. When Elena sees Stefan and Caroline dancing together in 4x16, Elena is obviously jealous, even though her humanity is shut off.
- Happily Adopted: Before her parents died. This is largely because she didn't even know she was adopted until after they were dead.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Elena without her humanity seems to enjoy partying and drinking.
- Heroic BSoD: Goes into severe denial when Jeremy is killed off to the extent of not smelling the decomposition, followed by a complete breakdown, followed by Damon making her turn off her emotions.
- The Heroine: Elena is the main character of the series whose primary purpose is to save and protect everyone.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Attempts this throughout season two. Elena is willing to sacrifice her life so that the majority of her family and friends don't have to die.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Elena isn't the best judge of character and she often always gives people the benefit of the doubt too much. Elena has been shown to be rather naive and trusting of people way too easily. Therefore, she always finds herself in trouble as a result.
- Hypocrite: Elena can be rather hypocritical sometimes. She condemns having her choice or free will taken away from her. Yet, she frequently asks Damon to compel Jeremy to forget things a few times. Also when Elena blasts Jeremy for being in love with ghost Anna, yet Elena is doing nothing but trying to get Stefan in non-humanity-mode to turn his humanity back. Elena even compares loving non-humanity!Stefan to loving a ghost, which is ironically what Jeremy was doing.
- The Idealist: Mostly in the first season, Elena is a generally hopeful, optimistic individual who always believes in the best outcome possible. However, since then, Elena has become more cynical, which is to be expected considering all the tragedy that she has been through.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Elena says this almost word-for-word to Stefan. Elena thinks she's normal but down the line, she discovers that she has a secret legacy of being a doppelganger and that she is tied to the supernatural. Elena tries to repeatedly run the other way and not face her true identity. Before she is turned into a vampire, she tells Stefan that she doesn't want to be a vampire, that she wants to get married, grow old, have children and grandchildren. She is very torn because she loves Stefan and Stefan is a vampire incapable of giving Elena all that she desires. Nonetheless, Stefan understands Elena not wanting to turn into a vampire, because he has always desired to be normal himself.
- Interspecies Romance: Elena has this type of relationship with Stefan, since Stefan is a vampire and Elena is a human. Elena later becomes a vampire, and she and Stefan break up.
- It's All About Me: Sometimes Elena thinks that everything good or bad that happens is because of her. She can come off self-absorbed at times. Most of the supernatural goings on have come about either directly or indirectly because she is the doppelganger, so she is right to a degree.
- It's All My Fault: Elena often feels extremely guilty, feeling that she is responsible for every bad thing that has happened to her friends and family because she's a doppelganger.Elena: It's not just me that's in danger, it's Caroline, it's Tyler and it's Bonnie. They are all part of breaking the curse. I can't blame anyone else anymore. Because it's not because you came into town, or because you and I fell in love. That's not why everyone I love is in danger. It's because of me, everything is because of ME!
- The Kirk: Elena is this of the main trio between herself (The Kirk, Ego), Stefan (The Spock, Superego) and Damon (The McCoy, Id). Elena is stable, balanced and she is the centre of the trio. She often chooses between Stefan and Damon's side.
- Lack of Empathy: Elena without her humanity is cold, ruthless and uncaring. She can hurt others without feelings any guilt or remorse.
- The Leader: Out of the core group of girls, Elena seems to take the lead than Caroline or Bonnie. However, in the beginning, Caroline seemed to take the lead, especially in the cheerleading squad.
- Life Drinker: Elena is a vampire since being turned at the end of season 3 and sustains on blood. She appears living but she's undead.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Elena is the Light Feminine to Katherine's Dark Feminine. Elena and Katherine are both doppelgangers who share an uncanny physical appearance. Elena is the Light Feminine (good, moral) and Katherine is Dark Feminine (bad, immoral). Both share a common love and interest in Stefan and are often in competition with each other for his affections.
- Love Hurts: Elena's love life is nothing but heartbreak and confusion.
- Love Will Lead You Back: At the start of season 3, Elena refuses to go on without Stefan coming back into her life. Caroline mentions that since Stefan had left with Klaus, that Elena had stopped living and had let life pass her by. Elena spent much of season three trying to get Stefan back and get him to turn on his humanity again.
- MacGuffin Super Person: As the doppelganger, whose blood breaks the moonstone curse, she is actively sought after by the vampires.
- Manipulative Bitch: Elena with her humanity off. She is cold, manipulative and cunning.
- Meet Cute: With Stefan in the pilot episode. They meet each other for the first time outside of the men's washroom, which is kind of embarrassing on Elena's part considering she's actually the one coming out of the men's restroom.
- Memento MacGuffin: Elena's necklace, in which Stefan gave to her in 1x03. The necklace is often seen as a representation of Stefan and Elena's love. Aside from that, the amulet actually has many supernatural ties to it. The amulet is used as a talisman to connect to the Original Witch, Esther. The amulet is indestructible. The amulet also allowed Esther to use magic in the living world while she was still on the Other Side. It also contains a portion of Esther's magic.
- Missing Mom: Her adoptive mother Miranda is dead. As is her biological mother Isobel who gave Elena up for adoption. Elena never knew about Isobel until later on in her life.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Elena has committed some immoral acts (especially as a vampire) where she has been overwhelmed with guilt and appalled by her own actions. One example is in 4x05 when Elena kills Connor. She ends up consumed and overwhelmed with guilt, shocked that she actually killed a human being. Due to her inner guilt, Elena ends up being haunted afterwards by Ghost!Connor. Inn 4x04, Elena and Damon feed on endless humans at a party and she gives into her blood lust, not realizing what she is doing. Elena comes off of her blood high when she sees Bonnie looking at her concerned and Elena realizes her out of control actions. She then breaks down to Bonnie about how what she was doing was not her and that she doesn't want to be that person.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Elena when she was sired to Damon. When Elena was under control of the sire bond, she would do what Damon told her to do, even if it was something that Elena wouldn't like or agree with. The purpose of the sire bond was for Elena to obey to what Damon wanted no matter what.
- Nice Girl: Elena is kind, compassionate, friendly and down to earth. She is the kind of person almost anyone would want to befriend.
- Non-Human Lover Reveal: In 1x06, Elena discovers Stefan's deep dark secret when she starts to put the pieces together of all of the strange events that have happened in the town as well as to people around her: Stefan is a vampire. At first, Elena is completely scared and freaked when she discovers Stefan's revelation but eventually, she becomes more understanding of Stefan and his vampirism. Elena eventually comes around completely and accepts and loves Stefan as a vampire, despite being extremely hesitant at first after finding out his secret.
- Not Herself: For most of Season 4 when she becomes a vampire. She can't keep any blood down (including animal blood, human blood from blood bags and even vampire blood); she became irrational, impulsive, moody and she had the serious urge to feed off of humans and kill; she killed someone for the first time (Connor); she hallucinated Ghost!Connor; she's tried to kill Jeremy a few times; she became suicidal and tried to kill herself and finally, she's sired to Damon. And to add to that, in 4x15 she has her humanity switched off. Elena is most definitely NOT herself.
- Official Couple: As far as romance goes, Elena belongs to Stefan for most of the series and their love is the most important one. However, Elena and Stefan break up in "We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes" due to Elena confessing that she loves Damon.
- Parental Abandonment: Both her parents died before the beginning of the series
- The Pollyanna: Despite all of the hardships that Elena has gone through, losing family members and friends, losing the love of her life a few times, and all of her loved ones constantly being put in danger, Elena still manages to put on a happy face most of the time. She tries to remain as optimistic as possible.
- Pro-Human Transhuman: She is turned into a vampire, but Elena tries to uphold her humanity as much as possible.
- Protagonist: She's the main character. Elena (along with Stefan and Damon) is the central character of the story as the story is focused on her journey and her life.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Elena is the Blue Oni to Caroline's Red Oni. Elena is more calm, cool, logical and Caroline is more impulsive, passionate and intense.
- Seen It All: Elena, as a human, has seen everything that is supernatural and out of the ordinary. Therefore, Elena becomes completely unfazed by anything that is unusual. She's seen everything from vampires, witches, werewolves, and hybrids to the Original vampires.
- Stepford Smiler: Elena may be in pain deep down but she often covers it up with a smile.
- Strong Family Resemblance: To Katherine. They are identical in physical appearance. This is because Elena is Katherine's doppelgänger and Elena is a descendent of Katherine.
- Superpower Lottery: Because of Elena's vampirism, she possesses standard vampire powers and abilities. 1) Super Speed: Elena can move and run much faster than that of a normal human. 2) Super Reflexes: Also known as super agility. Elena can react much faster and quicker to situations than that of a normal human. 3) Super Strength: Elena is able to carry or lift heavier objects with much ease and little effort. 4) Mind Manipulation: Elena is able to control the mind of any human, influencing their thoughts and their actions in the process. The only way to prevent Elena from mind influencing someone is for the human victim to have vervain on them. 5) Healing Factor: Elena can get stabbed, shot or wounded and she will heal immediately. 6) Super Senses: All of Elena's senses, such as sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing have become clearer, stronger and heightened. She is able to see, smell and hear things from a greater distance than that of a normal human.
- Took a Level in Badass: Elena, slowly but surely. It starts in "Haunted" when she goes after Vicki with a 2x4, continues in "Unpleasantville" when she manages to hold off a vampire with just a few pencils long enough for Damon and Stefan to kill him, and becomes even more noticeable in "Let The Right One In" when she saves Stefan by staking Frederick with a vervain dart and momentarily incapacitating him and by offering Stefan some of her blood.
- Tragic Heroine: Elena has gone through nothing but pain and endless hardships due to the fact that she was born to be doomed (due to her family history and her identity as a doppelgänger). She is probably one of the most tragic characters on the show ―definitely up there with Stefan).
- Undying Loyalty: To Damon. The major reason for this is because she is sired to Damon, so Elena automatically does everything that Damon asks of her, even if it isn't something she really wants to do deep down. Elena tells Stefan that ever since she turned, her feelings for Damon have magnified. This is possibly due to the sire bond between Damon and Elena. It should be mentioned that Damon gives several direct orders to Elena which she doesnt follow through.
- Unfazed Everyman: Elena between Season's 1 to 3 before she turns into a vampire in Season 4. Elena as a human is primarily surrounded by friends and family that are supernatural beings (vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.) with the exception of Matt. Elena has seen every supernatural being as a human that she became completely unfazed by any of it. Her love interests are vampires. Her friends/allies are various supernatural beings. Members of her family were supernatural beings (Katherine, Isobel, Alaric and Jenna were/became vampires; Jeremy is a medium/vampire hunter/Member of The Five) She was sought after by the Originals (Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol, Finn, Mikael), whom are all vampires with the exception of Esther, who was the Original witch. Elena becomes even more unfazed by the supernatural beings around her when she discovers that she's actually a supernatural being called Doppelgänger herself.
- The Unfettered: Elena without her humanity doesn't seem to care what she does, even if she is hurting others, very much like non-humanity Stefan in season three. She will do whatever she wants regardless and doesn't have any remorse for her out of control actions.
- Weirdness Magnet: Vampires, werewolves, her best friend being a witch... The woman draws mysterious beings.
- Viral Transformation: At the end of season three when Elena dies with vampire blood in her system and turns into a vampire as a result.
Portrayed by: Paul Wesley
"I don't hurt people. I don't do that. I'm the good brother."
Stefan is a mysterious, handsome century old immortal. He is a protagonist, and narrator of the series. Stefan is known to be the good vampire brother (between he and Damon) and is seen to be kind, caring, compassionate, heroic and selfless. Stefan tries to avoid drinking human blood due to the fact that he hates hurting or killing anyone (drinking human blood turns him into an insane, amoral "ripper", choosing to feed from the blood of animals instead. Stefan is weaker than most other vampires, in particular his elder brother Damon who has held a grudge against Stefan for over a century. Early in the series, Stefan fatefully meets and falls in love with Elena Gilbert. He develops a mutual romantic relationship with her while protecting her and her loved ones both from his own nature and other vampires. In the season two finale Stefan reverts back to his darker side, the Ripper, in order to save Damon from dying from a fatal werewolf bite. In exchange for the cure (which is Klaus' hybrid blood), he becomes a servant to The Big Bad, Klaus. Since season three onwards, Stefan has turned on his humanity and reverts back to his normal, humane self.
- Actual Pacifist: Especially in season one. Stefan does not really like resorting to violence of any sort, but he will do so if necessary. Expect Stefan to angst afterwards though.
- Alliterative Name: His name is Stefan Salvatore. Stefan's first and last name begin with the same letter. Popular choice for heroes.
- Badass in Distress: Stefan gets himself into trouble at times and requires help from time to time, although he is still completely capable of fending for himself.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Since he is a vampire, Stefan is capable of using his abilities to be extremely destructive, but instead, he chooses to use his abilities to save and help others because of who he is.
- Being Evil Sucks: He always struggles to rid himself of his human blood addiction, because he really doesn't want to be a bad guy.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Stefan appears to be gentle, kind and compassionate, but he definitely has a tough and violent side when provoked. Stefan's overly protective towards anyone he deeply cares about, especially his love interest Elena, his vampire brother Damon, Elena's younger brother Jeremy, or friends Bonnie and Caroline.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Jeremy, Elena's younger troubled brother. Stefan is often protective of Jeremy and makes sure that he is safe.
- Big Brother Mentor:
- Primarily to Jeremy. Stefan is seen to be protective of Jeremy. He takes on a bit of a big brother role and mentor to Jeremy whenever Elena isn't present. In 2x01, Jeremy takes pills and drinks Anna's blood in order to become a vampire. Stefan tells Jeremy to snap out of this; that he (Jeremy) really doesn't want to do this because he would end up regretting it for the rest of his eternity-long life. Stefan frequently gives Jeremy advice, pep talks and even lectures from time to time.
- To Caroline at the beginning of season two. He teaches Caroline how to control herself on blood and how to keep her humanity.
- Big Man on Campus: Stefan is popular, athletic, a good student and easily attracts the girls. Top bloke at his school.
- Birds of a Feather: With Elena. It seems that Elena and Stefan have various things in common, most notably the fact that like Elena, Stefan also writes a journal and records his thoughts.
- Bookworm: Stefan is highly knowledgable and well-read. He reads, studies and researches a lot.
- Break Her Heart To Save Her: Stefan breaks up with Elena or turns his back on her in order to protect her. This is especially evident in season three when Stefan leaves Mystic Falls with Klaus and becomes a Ripper in order to protect Elena and the rest of the town.
- Break the Cutie: Stefan's an attractive, cute guy. Whenever he finds some sort of happiness, something is always out there to hurt Stefan and to make him suffer.
- The Charmer: Stefan is popular with women and can easily charm the ladies. He was quite the charmer and womanizer during his Ripper days. He attracts the ladies like a moth to a flame.
- Character Tics:
- Stefan often tilts his head to the side when he's looking at or talking to someone.
- He often points his fingers when talking or trying to make a point.
- The Chew Toy: From his blood addiction issues, to him battling with the dark side of himself (the Ripper), to his never ending guilt, to self-loathing as a vampire, Stefan can never seem to catch a break. He is always the one getting kicked around. As if Stefan didn't just recover from being a blood-addicted, compelled-by-Klaus, humanity-turned-off Ripper, he loses Elena (who happens to sired to Damon) to his brother, Damon. He doesn't even seem to be having much luck in the romance department; something that Stefan has always had at least a little bit of luck.
- Chick Magnet: At the beginning of the series, all of the girls within the school found Stefan attractive, were drawn to him and wanted to gain his attention. Stefan has been the object of romantic or sexual interest for all of the major female characters of the series including Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Katherine, Jenna, Callie, Rosalyn, and Rebekah.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Stefan feels the constant need to save others and if he doesn't end up saving people, he'll burden guilt.
- Clark Kenting: Especially in season one, Stefan keeps his identity as a vampire secret from everyone and tries to pass himself off as a new transfer student at Mystic Falls High.
- Classical Anti-Hero: Stefan fits this trope in season three after starting to recover from Ripperdom. Stefan's flaws, vulnerabilities and weaknesses are exposed and therefore, we as the audience discover that Stefan isn't the perfect Ideal Hero that he was in season one and two.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: Stefan has to resist the urge to drink human blood every day, as humans walk all around him.
- Cool Bike: Stefan owns his own Harley motorcycle.
- Cool Car: Stefan drives a red 1963 Porsche 356B Karmann Coupe.
- Cursed with Awesome: Stefan is a vampire with superhuman abilities. Although, Stefan actually sees it as a curse more than anything.
- Dandere: Stefan is generally shy but around the right people, he loosens up and is rather friendly and talkative.
- Dark Side: Stefan has gone down the path of darkness a few times throughout his immortal life, like an on-and-off switch. He often recovers from it and gains his humanity and compassionate side again.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: As the ripper, Stefan descends so far into darkness and into the blood lust that he mentions in one of his journals that he blacks out completely, forgetting how many people he's killed, how much human blood he's drank etc.
- Deal with the Devil: Stefan has done this many, many times with Klaus. He did this at the end of season two when he sacrificed himself and his humanity and became the Ripper in exchange for his hybrid blood to cure Damon's fatal werewolf bite. Stefan did this again in season four, when he made a secret deal to work with Klaus to find a cure for Elena to become human again.
- Declaration of Protection: Stefan's existence basically revolves around protecting Elena and keeping her safe at all times.
- Despair Event Horizon: There have been times throughout Stefan's immortal life where he has descended so far into darkness that he had given up hope and shut off his humanity. In season 3, Stefan shuts off his humanity after suffering much guilt from being the Ripper. Being a Ripper again changes Stefan as a person and turns him from an Ideal Hero to an Anti-Hero. Stefan is a walking tragedy.
- Determinator: Stefan is an extremely determined individual and he NEVER gives up. Whenever he has a mission, plan, agenda or goal in sight or in mind, he will do anything and everything to accomplish it. An example of this is Stefan doing everything in his power to find the cure for Elena to become human again, going as far as to make a deal with Klaus and making Jeremy stake vampires so that 'The Five' mark on Jeremy's hand grows. Stefan's primary motivation behind trying to find the cure for Elena to become human is a combination of guilt (from not saving her instead of Matt at the end of season 3) and realizing how much Elena has changed as an individual as a vampire (Elena's erratic behaviour, depression, suicidal tendencies, mood swings, etc).
- Deus Angst Machina: Stefan is almost always angsting about something. It is normally about something that he feels guilty about.
- Deuteragonist: To Elena's protagonist. Stefan is the second most important character of the series after Elena.
- Doom Magnet: Pain, trouble, darkness and despair seem to follow Stefan wherever he goes. He seems to attract it all of the time, probably more than any other character in the series.
- The Dragon: In season 3, Stefan is basically Klaus' second in command when he works with him and helps him to create an army of Hybrids.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Stefan is the Dragon to Klaus, but he sure has very different motives than his master Klaus. While Klaus wants to kill Elena and take her blood in order to create more Hybrids, Stefan's goal is to protect her and the entire town of Mystic Falls, especially from Klaus.
- Driven to Suicide: In 1x20 "Blood Brothers", Stefan wants to end it all because of his extreme guilt. He attempts to do so by taking off his daylight ring.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: Especially as a ripper. Once he becomes a ripper, he loses all control and gets drunk on the power of feeding on human blood.
- Dynamic Character: Since the start of the series, Stefan has gone through the most changes and ups and downs.
- Easily Forgiven: Since Stefan is often viewed as a more moral character of the show, many of his immoral or morally questionable deeds and acts are brushed aside. Elena is especially very forgiving of Stefan. After Stefan had nearly driven Elena off of Wickery Bridge (y'know, where her parents died and she almost died, so a traumatic location to begin with) and terrorized her in 3x11, Elena immediately forgave Stefan in the next episode after Stefan apologized and realized the error of his ways.
- Emotion Suppression: In "The Reckoning", Klaus compels Stefan to shut off his humanity and his emotions. It lasts only a couple of episodes with him being a huge Jerkass.
- Enemy Within: Stefan's dark side or his alter ego: The Ripper. It's the evil version of him.
- Everyone Can See It: Stefan and Elena just belong together. Almost all of the characters on the show can see or have commented on Stefan and Elena's undying love for each other. Klaus tells Damon about Stefan and Elena's love for each other: "Crazy or not, that kind of love never dies." Or Caroline tells Elena: "Stefan is your epic love." and even: "Stefan is your soulmate!" There is Lexi telling Elena about her love and relationship with Stefan: "When it's real, you can't walk away." Other characters on the show have noticed and commented on Stefan and Elena's love and devotion to each other, such as Damon, Katherine, Klaus, and Rebekah. Various characters ship them. Such characters include Klaus, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, Lexi, Jeremy, Jenna, etc. The producers of the series, Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec have both referred to Stefan and Elena as being the true epic love story of the show. Kevin Williamson has repeatedly referred to Stefan and Elena as soul mates. He also suggests that although the plot is about a love triangle (between Elena, Stefan and Damon), the series revolves around Stefan and Elena's love story and that their relationship is the central plot and "anchor" of the show.
- FaceHeel Turn: Stefan turns into the Ripper (the darker side of himself) by sacrificing himself to Klaus in order to get the blood to cure Damon's werewolf bite. Stefan then went from being a good guy to the Anti-Hero. This happens because Klaus forces Stefan to become the Ripper by drinking tons of human blood bags.
- Fallen Hero: Stefan doesn't start out as a villain, he becomes one because of a heroic deed. Stefan fits the classical trope of Ideal Hero before he turns off his humanity and becomes a Ripper at the end of season two. Stefan becomes this tragic figure because he committed a Heroic Sacrifice. Back in 1864, Stefan is consumed with guilt for betraying Damon and accidentally killing his father, he shuts off his humanity and gives into his vampirism. This is when the Ripper gets born.
- Fatal Attractor: Stefan seems to attract some women who are completely crazy and vengeful, e.g. Katherine and Rebekah.
- Fatal Flaw: His addictive personality and inability to control his addiction and urges to/for human blood.
- The Fettered: When Stefan is his normal, human self, he is one of the most moral characters on the show. He lives by a strong set of morals, ideals, values and beliefs and always believes in doing the right thing as much as possible."We choose our own path. Our values and our actions, they define who we are." - Stefan to Vickie in 1x07
- Foil: To Damon. Stefan's overall the "good brother" (The Hero) to Damon's "bad brother" (the Anti-Hero or outright Villain).
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Stefan is the Responsible Sibling to Damon's Foolish Sibling. They are vampire brothers and Stefan is more practical, serious and responsible, while Damon is more impulsive, irresponsible and careless.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: He's not a "dangerous" vampire and is willing to protect people against the supernatural.
- Friends with Benefits: In episode 4x11 starts to have this arrangement with Rebekah. Stefan and Rebekah sleep together without any attachments or romantic feelings involved.
- Good Is Not Soft: Stefan is generally nice, polite and kind, but DO NOT get on his bad side. You will regret it.
- Magnetic Hero: Stefan seems to have a magnetic quality that draws people to him; he has the ability to persuade people to hear his point of view and without the influence of mind compulsion.
- My Greatest Failure: Blames himself for not saving Elena at the end of season three. Stefan ends up regretting it when Elena turns into a vampire.
- Heroic BSoD:
- Stefan "shuts down" when he discovers that his vampire brother Damon is dying of a fatal werewolf bite at the end of season two. Due to Stefan's desperation to save his brother, he becomes his worst enemy, the Ripper.
- This happens again at the end of season three, when he saves Matt instead of Elena and Elena dies by drowning. Stefan is overwhelmed with shock and grief, adding to his guilt, causing him to emotionally crumble.
- Horrifying Hero: Stefan may be a hero, but he's also a vampire and that can be very scary.
- Humble Hero: Stefan saves lives and his heroic by nature, but he isn't cocky about his heroism.
- Heroic Resolve: Stefan appears defeated and actually succumbs to being Klaus' second in command. He tells Klaus that he doesn't care about Elena anymore and that she means nothing to him (which is a lie). However, when Klaus attacks Elena and attempts to kill her, Stefan becomes enraged, becomes a resolved hero again, and attacks Klaus angrily..
- Heroic Sacrifice: Stefan sacrifices himself and his good, heroic self to Klaus in order to save Damon's life and protect the entire town of Mystic Falls from Klaus.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Despite saving and helping others and making sacrifices for other people, Stefan is incredibly guilt-ridden and self-loathing.
- Heroic Willpower: Stefan fights the dark side of him and his addiction to human blood in order to maintain his humanity and not hurt anyone.
- Horror Hunger: Stefan suffers from a major case of this. He is addicted to human blood and goes crazy when he has too much of it.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Stefan is a vampire. In the first season, many of Stefan's kills are vampires.
- I Can't Dance: Stefan just hates dancing because he doesn't think he's good at it. But in reality, he's not that bad.
- I Am a Monster: Stefan frequently thinks he's a monster. He's not wrong though, as he's a vampire.
- I Did What I Had to Do: At the end of season two, Stefan sacrifices himself to the villain Klaus and becomes a Ripper in order to save his brother Damon from dying from a fatal werewolf bite.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Stefan hates Katherine who is his as well as Damon's maker. Although Katherine is still in love with Stefan and plans on waiting for him forever, Stefan hates her and wants nothing to do with her.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Stefan hates being a vampire and has mentioned that he misses being human. Part of the reason why Stefan wants to be normal is because of his dark side (he's forced to become a Ripper) and also his lack of control when it comes to human blood. Stefan tells Rebekah in 4x04 that he desires to be human again; to have a family with Elena, grow old with Elena, die with Elena and be buried with Elena. That if he found the cure and had the opportunity to take it and become human, he would do it without question.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: At the end of season three, Stefan fails to save Elena when he makes the decision to save Matt over Elena from drowning because Elena tells Stefan to do so. Elena dies and becomes a vampire. This only contributed to Stefan's never-ending guilt.
- I'm Not a Hero, I'm...: He reacts this way when someone tells him he's a hero. Stefan views himself as a monster, or a predator meant to hurt people. But on the contrary, Stefan is a heroic, selfless, brave yet tragic individual who despite what he is - a vampire - makes endless heroic sacrifices to save, protect and help people, especially those he loves.
- Interspecies Romance: Stefan is a century old immortal (vampire) and Elena is an eighteen year old mortal human. This later changes when Elena is turned into a vampire and therefore is no longer human.
- It's All My Fault: Stefan constantly blames himself for every bad thing that happens. Stefan especially blames himself for Damon going bad, for Damon killing people and descending into villainy. Stefan blames himself for Elena becoming a vampire, being sired and having her humanity shut off.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Stefan commits his entire immortal life into protecting and saving Elena and keeping her safe. He sometimes distances himself from Elena in order to protect her due to the fact that he is a vampire with a dark past, and therefore, has much darkness, enemies, and danger follows him around.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Stefan will do anything and everything to make Elena happy, even if he has to give her up.
- I Was Quite a Fashion Victim: According to Damon, the 90's grunge look was not a good look on Stefan.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Two distinct sides of Stefan's personality: Stefan the Hero and Stefan the Ripper. One side of him is more dark, sinister and crazy (Hyde aka Stefan the Rippah) and the other side is kind, heroic and gentle (Jekyll aka Stefan the Hero). Human blood is normally the trigger for the "Hyde" side of Stefan to come breaking through.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Stefan is heroic, saves the day, fights the bad guys, knows how to charm the ladies, has a strong sense of nobleness and honour and is chivalrous towards the opposite sex. Stefan especially fits this trope in regards to Elena as he is always saving and protecting her.
- Life Drinker: Stefan is a a vampire who is capable of living forever and never physically ages. Although he physically looks 17, he is actually 165 years old. He cannot die under normal human circumstances. Stefan feeds on blood.
- Love Triangle: Stefan is in a love triangle with Elena and Damon, with Stefan being in love with Elena, Elena being in love with Stefan, Damon being in love with Elena and Elena having feelings/attraction for Damon.
- Love Martyr: With Damon, although not in a romantic sense. Despite Damon being an antagonistic and even intolerable individual to most people, Stefan still can't stop loving and caring about his brother and saving him repeatedly.
- Manipulative Bastard: As the ripper. Stefan is ultra cold, sociopathic, and cunning as the ripper. He has no regard for anyone else.
- Martyr Without a Cause: Out of all of the characters in the series, Stefan fits the role of martyr more than anyone, even Elena. He constantly offers himself up to be sacrificed in the place of others (i.e. offering himself as the vampire to be sacrificed instead of Elena's Aunt Jenna) or puts himself in the most dangerous situations in order to protect others from getting hurt or killed (i.e. offering himself up to Klaus in order to save Damon, protect Elena and the entire town of Mystic Falls).
- Meaningful Name: Stefan is named after the very first Christian martyr, St. Stephen. Stefan is the classic example of a martyr. The name also means "Crown". Other meanings for Stefan include "Garland" and "Wreath" or "Crowned with Martyrdom" or "Honour". His last name Salvatore means Saviour in Italian. Very fitting for the hero of the show.
- Meet Cute: With Elena in the first episode. He unexpectedly meets her outside of the men's washroom. She was the one coming out of it. Awkward.
- Messianic Archetype: Stefan is often portrayed as a highly good, selfless, altruistic, moral and noble character on the show, but especially in the novels. In the books, Stefan is named after the very first Christian martyr, St. Stephen and he is a highly religious person and is a young man of faith (he practiced Catholicism). On the show, Damon mocks Stefan's noble and heroic qualities, even sarcastically referring to Stefan as probably the most noble, heroic superhero ever Superman.
- Missing Mom: Stefan's mother died when he was a young child.
- Monster Sob Story: In season three, as the Ripper. Although Stefan is monstrous, villainous and shuts off his humanity, the audience can't help but feel sorry for him and feel sympathetic. He has his free will taken away from him, is forced to become the darkest part of himself (the Ripper), and he can't feel any pain or guilt. He loses the love of his life Elena because he gives away his freedom in order to save his dying brother. Sob-sob.
- Moral Dissonance: Stefan can be a Ripper, kill or harm people, yet almost all of the characters easily forgive him for it. However, if Damon kills someone or hurts others, many of the characters have a tendency to hold a grudge against him for a very long time like Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy and even Elena at one point. All of them still view Damon in a very negative light and have yet to fully forgive him, yet Stefan was a Ripper, committing immoral acts for months and none of the characters really noticed. As soon as Stefan turns on his humanity and goes back to being human Stefan, everyone forgives him and accepts him back into the inner circle.
- Mr. Fanservice: Stefan has had multiple shirtless scenes, showcasing his buff, muscular body, especially his abs. This is a real treat for the female viewing audience.
- My Greatest Failure: Stefan feels guilty for not saving Elena from drowning at the end of season three and instead, saving Matt. He follows Elena's request to save Matt which results in Elena's death and her transformation into a vampire. This action haunts Stefan and adds to his guilty conscience.
- Mysterious Protector: After Elena and her family get into a car accident at Wickery Bridge, Stefan hears it and saves Elena's life. After saving her, Stefan flees the scene and watches her from afar for four months to look out for her and make sure she's safe. At first, he watches her to be sure she's not Katherine.
- Narrator: Stefan is the story-teller of the series. He is the one narrating and telling the story of The Vampire Diaries and all of the events that occurred or have lead up to the events of the present.
- New Transfer Student: In the pilot episode, Stefan compels the secretary to enrol him in Mystic Falls High, so that he can pose as a new high school student. He attempts to get to know Elena.
- Nice Guy: Stefan is generally nice, kind, compassionate, caring and an empathetic person by nature. But when he is the Rippah, it's a totally different story. More like a totally different person.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: Stefan is the Noble Male to Damon's Roguish Male. While Stefan is more noble and diplomatic in how he approaches things, Damon is much more impulsive, reckless and more prone to violence.
- Non-Human Lover Reveal: Elena unexpectedly meets Stefan and feels an instant connection with him in season one. However, Stefan is hiding a deep, dark secret: he is a century old vampire. As Stefan and Elena fall harder for each other, Elena eventually discovers that Stefan is a vampire.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Stefan speaks as a normal modern-day American person. He could have lost it from his travels and just adapt his speech pattern over the years. It doesn't explain his lack of accent in 1864. The trope Eternal English might explain it, though.
- Not Himself:
- In season one when he is having serious issues with his blood addiction.
- Whenever Stefan reverts to blood-addicted, non-humanity Ripper-mode. Most notably in season three.
- Official Couple: Stefan is in this type of relationship with Elena. Stefan and Elena are the main canon romantic pairing of the series. Usually, the series revolve around this particular couple.
- Parental Favoritism: Stefan was strongly favoured over Damon by his parents, especially his father Giuseppe. Giuseppe saw Stefan as a responsible and dutiful son.
- Perpetual Frowner: Lampshaded by both Damon and Caroline. Stefan is very broody, therefore, he doesn't always smile all that much. Though he is able to smile on occasion.
- Pop-Cultured Badass: Stefan is a fan of literature, especially literature by F. Scott Fitzgerald and especially his masterpiece, The Great Gatsby, he loves the TV show Seinfeld and I Love Lucy is his all time favourite show (loving cup episodes are the best). He's a huge fan of Martin Scorsese and his favourite movie is Taxi Driver In terms of pop music, his range is very broad. He is a fan of Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, Kanye West and even Miley Cyrus.
- The Power of Love: Stefan is able to fight Klaus' compulsion THREE TIMES just so that he doesn't hurt Elena. It's possible only because of his deep love for Elena.
- Pragmatic Hero: Stefan may be a hero who has strong morals and good intentions, but at the same time, he is willing to do morally questionable actions in order to achieve his goals.
- Pro-Human Transhuman: Stefan is turned into a vampire in 1864. Despite what he is, he does everything he can to maintain a part of humanity, especially by fighting his blood lust and succumbing to the darker side of himself (the Ripper).
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Since Stefan is the narrator of the story, his feelings, thoughts and priorities will often dictate the course of the plot. However Stefan views each character whom he is telling about, they will be viewed by the audience in the same way.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: Originally at the beginning of the series, Stefan starts off as an Ideal Hero with good intentions. However, in season three, he loses his morals and descends into villainy when he becomes the Ripper. Later on in the series, he becomes the complete opposite of who he was at the start of the series. Quite the Tragic Hero.
- Protectorate: Protects the town of Mystic Falls and everyone who lives in it.
- Redemption Quest: After Stefan falls into darkness, he starts to regain his humanity and heroic side again towards the middle of season 3. Stefan turning on his humanity again is a way that Stefan seeks redemption for him succumbing to his dark side.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Stefan is the Blue Oni (logical, calm, cool, composed) to Damon's Red Oni (impulsive, reckless, hot-headed, passionate).
- Rejection Affection: Katherine is deeply in love with Stefan who makes it clear he wants nothing to do with her. That doesn't stop Katherine from insisting she will have him again.
- Reluctant Warrior: He's an Actual Pacifist and he doesn't enjoy fighting but if he has to, he will.
- Rescue Romance: Stefan saves Elena from the car accident which kills her parents months before fatefully meeting her and falling in love with her.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After Katherine is seemingly killed, he attacks and kills several of the original founders of Mystic Falls in rage as his revenge.
- Romantic Vampire Boy: He's a vampire in a romantic relationship with Elena, the show's protagonist.
- Samaritan Syndrome: Stefan always has the constant need to help others, especially those in need.
- Secret Identity: Stefan keeps his identity as a vampire a secret from the general public (especially during the first season).
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Stefan is the Sensitive Guy (kind, compassionate, empathetic, gentle) to Damon's Manly Man (aggressive, passionate, impulsive, strong).
- Shadow Archetype: Stefan has a shadow or alter ego of himself that he absolutely hates: the Ripper. This side of him represents everything that Stefan is the opposite of in term of his inner 'Self'.
- Sibling Rivalry: Stefan has had a sibling rivalry with his brother Damon going back to their human years. It seemed to have heated up after Stefan and Damon met Katherine.
- Sibling Team: With Damon frequently. They join forces, generally when Elena's life is at stake or when it's in Damon's interests.
- Sibling Triangle: Stefan is in a love triangle with Elena and his brother, Damon. They both feel attracted to her and she feels attraction to both as well, though she much prefers the nicer brother Stefan.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Damon. In terms of personality, he and Damon are polar opposites in terms of personality, outlook, values, goals and beliefs. Stefan and Damon are often referred to as the "good brother" and the "bad brother" respectively.
- The Smart Guy: Stefan is known to be highly intelligent and book smart. He attended ivy league schools all over the country, such as Harvard, for example. He was an aspiring doctor before he was turned into a vampire against his will. He worked a few lucrative jobs but had to leave when it became apparent he isn't ageing.
- The Snark Knight: As the Ripper, Stefan is extremely sarcastic and snarky. Nobody can out snark him, not even Damon.
- Spiky Hair: Stefan's hair is always gelled and spiked a certain way. Damon referred to Stefan's spiked hair as a 'hero hairdo'.
- The Spock: Stefan is this of the main trio between himself (The Spock, Superego), Elena (The Kirk, Ego) and Damon (The McCoy, Id). Stefan is intelligent, serious, stoic, practical, and reasonable. He is the one who thinks before he acts and is the logical voice of the trio.
- Stalking Is Love: Follows Elena around for months and digs up all kinds of information on her before introducing himself. Though he does have a reason for doing this other than creepiness. He wants to make sure Elena isn't Katherine, his maker. The two young women look identical.
- The Stoic: Stefan goes through a lot of pain yet he masks it with a calm facade and demeanour. Lampshaded in 2x03 "Bad Moon Rising":Caroline: Why are you looking at him with your serious vampire look?Stefan: My wha... my serious vampire look?Caroline: Umhm... I mean its different from your worried vampire look. Neither of which stray too far from your "Hey, its Tuesday" look.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Stefan and Elena. Like Romeo and Juliet, Stefan and Elena suffer from many issues, obstacles and struggles (mostly external, but also internal or personal) that try to keep the two apart. Things try to tear them apart and keep the two from being together. But despite the odds, they often overcome whatever obstacle they face and always seem to come back together, often stronger than before.
- Superpower Lottery: Stefan is a vampire, therefore, he possesses superhuman abilities. 1) Super Speed: He can move and run much faster than a normal human. 2) Super Reflexes: Also known as super agility. Stefan can react much faster and quicker to situations. 3) Super Strength: Stefan is able to carry or lift heavier objects with much ease and little effort. 4) Mind Manipulation: He's able to control the mind of any human and influence their thoughts and their actions in the process. The only way to prevent Stefan from mind influencing someone is for the human victim to have vervain on them. 5) Healing Factor: Stefan can get stabbed, shot or wounded and he will heal immediately. 6) Super Senses: All of Stefan's senses, such as sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing have become clearer, stronger and heightened. He is able to see, smell and hear things from a greater distance than people.
- Suicide by Sunlight: Sunlight is lethal to vampires. Stefan attempts to kill himself in sunlight in episode 1x20 "Blood Brothers", but Elena stops him.
- Supporting Protagonist: Elena is the protagonist of the series while Stefan is the second most important character. The story generally centres around Stefan and Elena.
- Sympathetic Murder Backstory: In the beginning, Stefan comes off as kind, caring and humane. However, he harbours a deep dark secret. He used to be a Ripper that killed people. Stefan expresses extreme guilt and remorse for his actions from that time. He often gains sympathy because when he killed people, he gave into his blood lust. That means he really had no control over what he was doing and was sort of unaware of his actions.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's a very tall guy with dark colouring and one of the most handsome guys on the series.
- Terror Hero: Stefan in Season 3 is a hero who targets the fear of villains. In 3x11, Stefan plays on Klaus' fear of turning Elena into a vampire by feeding her his blood, so that Klaus wouldn't be able to make any more hybrids. At the same time, Stefan is also committing a heroic act, getting Klaus to get his hybrids out of Mystic Falls.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: When Stefan has his humanity in check, Stefan believes that killing shouldn't be the first option to everything.
- Tragic Hero: Despite Stefan's heroism, his good intentions and his selflessness, Stefan hardly receives anything positive in return. Instead, Stefan ends up suffering the most despite his good deeds and good intentions.
- Tranquil Fury: When Stefan gets angry, he's still rather calm and stoic, especially in comparison to Damon, who often lashes out.
- The Unfettered: Stefan fits this trope when he is the Ripper. As the Ripper, Stefan loses his humanity and when he sets a goal or has an agenda, he doesn't care who it hurts and he doesn't think about the detrimental consequences of his actions.
- Unwanted Harem: There are many female characters who are in love with Stefan or fall under his charm: Caroline, Katherine and Rebekah. Too bad that he doesn't reciprocate any of their feelings and has his eyes set on only one girl: Elena.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Katherine. He hates her, but there is some passion. Stefan and Katherine haven't gotten their desire to have hate-sex out of their systems yet.
- Vegetarian Vampire: There are periods of time when Stefan chooses to live off the blood of animals instead of humans. In season 2 however he drinks human blood in order to curb his blood addiction and control himself.
- Viral Transformation: His transformation physically changed him from human to vampire and it was done via by vampire blood. Stefan became a vampire in 1864 he "died" from being shot in the chest and after Katherine fed him her own vampire blood.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Damon. Stefan may be angry with Damon or wary of his brother most of the time, but he'll allow no one else to touch him.
- Walking Disaster Area: Doom and gloom seem to follow Stefan around wherever he goes.
- Warm Bloodbags Are Everywhere: Stefan is noted as having a problem with blood addiction. His use of animal blood, while most non-homicidal vampires steal from blood banks, is because he's afraid of relapse. Later on he carefully starts drinking human blood again, because using only animal blood makes him weaker. In the season 2 finale Klaus makes him drink bag after bag of human blood until his addiction resurfaces and he turns into a "Ripper", an extreme version of a vampire that is definitely not a Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire.
- Weak, but Skilled: While Stefan is noticeably weaker in strength because of his animal blood diet, he is still rather skilled and capable of defending himself whenever necessary.
- Working with the Ex: Stefan offers to be partners with Rebekah and work with her on the quest to find the cure. This is sure to rekindle some old feelings between the two of them.
Portrayed by: Ian Somerhalder
"It's cool not growing old. I like being the eternal stud."
Damon is Stefan's malevolent, dangerous and impulsive older brother. He is the anti-hero and the antagonist (especially in season one) of the series. He is most certainly not a Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire. He long ago swore to make Stefan's life "an eternity of misery". At first, he kills a lot of people in Mystic Falls, but later moderates his behaviour for a number of reasons but he remains dangerous. When he wants to, Damon can be charming and hilarious... but also cruel and capricious, and capable of killing on a whim. For the first season, Damon is the series' Antagonist, but has reverted his status to help Stefan and protect Elena.
- Always Second Best: Damon always feels this way when it comes to his brother Stefan. Growing up, Stefan was the favourite son and was well respected by the town of Mystic Falls. Stefan got a lot of female attention, especially from the girls whom Damon was in love with, including Katherine and Elena. The favouritism towards Stefan since humanhood has made Damon always feel like he is incompetent and second best, living in the shadows of his brother.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Damon, being The Casanova, is extremely popular with girls. However, it turns out the girls he really falls in love with (Katherine and Elena) prefer his nice brother Stefan over him.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He loves Elena, but she doesn't love him back. He also loves Katherine who doesn't love him back either. They both have it bad for his brother Stefan.
- Aloof Big Brother: Damon isn't as warm and compassionate as his brother Stefan. He's rather emotionless, sinister, cold and doesn't show his true feelings all that much.
- Anything That Moves: Damon is willing to screw every single chick that he encounters. Hell, he has slept with almost every single female character that has occurred on the show with the exception of Bonnie: they include Caroline, Rose, Rebekah, Andie, Bree, and later Elena who resisted him before; and the list goes.
- Badass Boast: Damon often brags that he can kick anyone's ass whenever he wants.
- Beauty Is Bad: Damon is a jerk most of the time but he's also so good-looking that no one truly hates him and he's forgiven many things.
- Being Good Sucks: According to him. This is why Damon doesn't bother following the rules and he doesn't much think about the concept of morality.
- Big Brother Instinct: He may enjoy screwing with Stefan, but he's the only one allowed to do so, as the tomb vampires painfully learn.
- Blue and Orange Morality: At times he genuinely doesn't seem to comprehend that Elena might be upset because he murdered someone she didn't even know. Even when he attempts to kill Jeremy, he seems to class it as bad because it made Elena upset, not because he understands that it is morally wrong. It's because he has the mindset of a vampire. A vampire is a predator, so really stuff that's considered morally questionable like drinking blood and snapping necks is part of their nature, and Damon feels that you need to embrace it and get enjoyment out of it or you will never adapt. It's what he preaches in trying to help Elena transition when she is turned into a vampire.
- Brutal Honesty: Damon's bluntness often gets him into a lot of trouble.
- Byronic Hero: Damon hates most of the characters around him, has great panache, is very cynical, certainly has a Dark and Troubled Past, is sometimes redeemable by his love for Elena and to top it all of, he is a vampire.
- The Casanova: Especially when doing his 'flirty eye thing'. He's had romantic involvement with Katherine, Caroline, Rose, Mary, Charlotte, Elena - just to name a few!
- Character Development: Though he'll beat the shit out of pepple for pointing it out, Damon seems way better now rather than the ruthless villain he was in the beginning of his journey.
- Deadpan Snarker: Damon tends to be extremely snarky and sarcastic.
- Depending on the Writer: Is Damon a guy who's had a really tough life and just happens to be humanity's natural predator, does he only present a soft side to manipulate people, or are vampires so unlike humans that it's impossible to determine his motivations? It can vary from episode to episode.
- Forgot About His Powers: His abilities to extent his influence and senses via a tame raven and making a fog appear to confuse his victims seem to have been written completely out of the show. While Damon himself kills the raven out of a desperate need of blood, the fog thing is just sort of forgotten, and is never brought up again.
- Fully-Embraced Fiend: Unlike his brother, Stefan, who hates being a vampire, Damon embraces being a vampire and feeding on innocent humans. Feasting on humans is like a party or celebration for him.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Starts on the villainous side. Every time they start him on a redemptive arc, he turns around and does something evil when he doesn't get his way. By season four, he is definitely Face.
- HeelFace Turn: Originally the Antagonist and the Token Evil Teammate, but later reverts his status and helps his brother Stefan and protects Elena.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Damon is always seen sporting a black leather jacket. It is practically his trademark. Appropriate for a badass vampire.
- Hot-Blooded: Extremely impulsive, hot-tempered and never thinks about consequences.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Complicated because the vampire conversion process being... is somewhat complex. Both Katherine and his brother Stefan were involved in his turning. Damon loves Katherine dearly, but hates Stefan; he actually chose to die instead of completing the conversion, but Stefan talked him out of it and created the monster Damon we know today. It's only been touched on briefly, but all signs are that Damon deeply resents the whole affair. Then Katherine gets back and says that Damon is only a byproduct of her obsession with Stefan...
- Icy Blue Eyes: He's a dangerous vampire and his steely blue eyes give him a very piercing stare.
- Life Drinker: Damon is an immortal vampire, capable of living forever without physically ageing. Although he physically looks 24, he is 171 years old. He lives off blood.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: To Elena when he tells her he loves her, then compels her to forget it so it won't ruin her relationship with his little brother.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Damon is an ass, but he's capable of showing affection and caring. He displays his softer side to Elena Stefan, Rose, Alaric, and Jeremy, though.Damon: When people see good, they expect good. And I don't want to have to live up to anyone's expectations.
- Kick the Dog: His horrible treatment of Jeremy which includes threatening him and taunting him after snapping his neck and his abuse of Caroline whom he turns into a slave and treats like dirt for fun. He never even pretends to be remorseful about either.
- Lovable Rogue: He breaks the law and costumes all the time but he is charming enough for the audience to root for him.
- The McCoy: Damon is this of the main trio between himself (The McCoy, Id), Stefan (The Spock, Superego) and Elena (The Kirk, Ego). Damon is the overly emotional one of the trio. He is more impulsive, hot-headed, dangerous, selfish and reckless.
- Moral Myopia: He can do whatever he wants to anyone with no conscience. But even the slightest offence committed against him is treated as unforgivable.
- Mr. Fanservice: Enjoys wearing low neck shirts and walking around shirtless.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: A bad case. The number of their current, potential, and former allies that Damon has killed or tried to kill for very little reason is quite staggering, and greatly exceeds the number of definite enemies he's killed. He has killed more people than anyone in the show, even the villains.
- The Nicknamer: Damon often comes up with nicknames for many of the characters. Examples include his nicknames for Caroline (Blondie, Vampire Barbie), Rebekah (Barbie Klaus), Elena (Buffy, Warior Princess, Scaredy Cat, etc.), Stefan (Shady Stefan, Saint Stefan, Stefan the Hero, Superman etc.), Bonnie (Witchy, Judgy), Vanessa (Hottie), Matt (Busboy, Quarterback), Professor Shane (Professor Creepy) and much more.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Damon loves to unnerve people by getting in their face.
- Psychopathic Manchild: He is cunning, clever, charismatic and badass as well as self-obsessed, irresponsible, petty, and cruel.
- Rebellious Spirit: Damon prefers to live by his own rules.
- Sad Clown: Often uses sarcasm and humour to cover up his inner pain and sorrow.
- Sibling Rivalry: Stefan and Damon had a rivalry before they met Katherine or Elena. Katherine and Elena only helped to intensify it because both women prefer Stefan and Damon is understandably jealous.
- Sibling Team: Damon occasionally teams up with his brother Stefan, usually to save Elena.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: He is the polar opposite of Stefan in terms of personality, outlook, values, morality and beliefs.
- Superpower Lottery: Damon is a vampire, therefore, he possesses superhuman abilities. They include Super Speed (he can move much faster than normals), Super Reflexes (he can react much faster and quicker than people), Super Strength (he's able to carry or lift heavy objects with ease), Mind Manipulation (he can control the mind of any human, influencing their thoughts and their actions; the only way to prevent Damon from mind influencing someone is for the human victim to have vervain on them), Healing Factor (he can get stabbed, shot or wounded and he will heal immediately), and Super Senses (Damon's sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing have become clearer, stronger and heightened).
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Like Stefan, he's dark-haired and dark-skinned and he's one of the most handsome guys of the series.
- Troubled Abuser: Damon is known to be abusive towards people in general. This can be because during Damon's human years, when Damon was younger, he was physically and emotionally abused by his father Giuseppe.
- The Un-Favourite: His father heavily favoured Stefan over him and actually abused poor Damon.Giuseppe Salvatore: All I have from you is disappointment.
- The Unfettered: Damon lacks a guilty conscience and most definitely lacks morals. He doesn't care if he hurts others, as long as he gets what he wants.
- Viral Transformation: Damon became a vampire by drinking Katherine's blood and dying after being shot in the chest.
Portrayed by: Kat Graham
"You saw what I was able to do tonight. I know who I am now. If Damon spills one drop of human blood, I'll take him down."
Bonnie is Elena's best friend, who is a bubbly, optimistic, carefree, spirited girl. Although her best friend is Elena, she is also very close friends with Caroline. Bonnie begins the series haunted by strange visions. She soon discovers that she is a witch, like her grandmother before her, but finds herself torn between her loyalty to Elena and her desire to protect the town of Mystic Falls from the vampires.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: She was a redhead in the books. In the series, she's dark-haired and portrayed by a black actress.
- Alliterative Name: Her name is Bonnie Bennett. Her first and last name begin with the same letter: B.
- Black Best Friend: She's white girl Elena's best friend and she's black. Elena is the protagonist.
- Blessed with Suck: In Season 1. She's a witch, but apart from mind-whammying Damon, using any of her other powers mainly seem to cause her to loose consciousness. Either that or they don't work.
- Broken Bird: Bonnie fit this trope after Bonnie's Grams died in season one. She became more cynical, distant, and withdrawn, even pushing Elena and all of her friends away.
- But Not Too Black: Katerina Graham, the actress playing Bonnie Bennett, is only slightly darker than Caucasian Nina Dobrev who portrays Elena Gilbert. She also has green eyes and predominantly Caucasoid facial features.
- Chaste Heroine: Bonnie is still a virgin.
- Cursed with Awesome: Bonnie is a witch with extraordinary powers and abilities, although initially, she is overwhelmed by her powers and doesn't want anything to do with witchcraft or being a witch.
- Determinator: Bonnie is the most determined character on the show. When she sets herself a goal, she will never give up. She displays this determined behaviour in regards to her friends and family and she will do everything to keep them safe, even if she puts her life in danger.
- Ethnic Magician: Bonnie is a witch of non-European descent and the only black girl among the main characters.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl: She's a witch with extraordinary magical powers. However, just because she's physically powerful doesn't mean that she isn't emotionally vulnerable. She is a normal teenager after all.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: Bonnie has a romance with her step or adopted brother, Jamie in season three.
- Go-Getter Girl: Bonnie is the epitome of a multi-tasker. She goes to school as a high school student, but also takes care of the problems of everyone else and she protects the town of Mystic Falls.
- Hypocrite: Bonnie gets mad at Caroline for being a vampire, when she is the reason Caroline is a vampire. She A: refused to dispel the device which caused the accident, B: Urged Damon to give her his blood to heal her, and C. Told Katherine about said deed. She also gets upset at Caroline for killing someone when when not dispelling the device killed Mayor Lockwood.
- Mind Manipulation: Happens to her in season four. First, she's manipulated into practising an extremely dark and dangerous form of magic by Professor Shane. Then, he hypnotizes her so that when she loses control of her powers, he's the only one who can get her under control. In 4x15, she's unknowingly being manipulated by Silas, who appears to her as Professor Shane, into 'lifting the veil between this side and the other side,' i.e resurrecting every single supernatural creature that has ever died.
- Nice Girl: She's a kind girl and kind friend. She's extremely loyal, selfless and known for having many heroic tendencies as well, namely, being repeatedly ready to sacrifice herself for her friends.
- Pragmatic Heroine: Although Bonnie has good and moral intentions, she will do some morally questionable things for the greater good. In season three, Bonnie preserves Klaus in Tyler's body in order to keep all of her vampire friends and family from dying (they are all dead, but dying-dying and being killed-off-for-real).
- Psychic Nosebleed: Bonnie often suffers from nosebleeds when she over exerts herself during spells and magic.
- Race Lift: Bonnie was originally a redhead of Scottish descent in the novel series. She's African-American.
- Sassy Black Woman: She's strong, outspoken and defends her opinion fiercely.
- The Smart Girl: Bonnie is always resourceful, uses her magical powers to help everyone and generally serves as the Hypercompetent Sidekick.
- The Spock: Bonnie is this within the trio of herself (The Spock, Superego), Elena (The Kirk, Ego) and Caroline (The McCoy, Id). Bonnie is practical, reasonable, smart, and logical. She is the brains of the trio.
- Token Minority: The only black character among white characters.
Portrayed by: Steven R. McQueen
"Why does everyone keep dying on me?"
Elena's little brother took their parents' death poorly, falling into self-destruction and drug abuse. He also fell in love with the troubled and older Girl Next Door, Vicki Donovan. He's far from stupid, and Elena's desperate attempts to protect him from the vampires only make him suspicious and he starts to distrust her.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In addition to being aged up to teenager and turned into a guy, Jeremy is also turned into a brunette like Elena.
- Age Lift: The character in the book is significantly younger. He's a teenager on the show. Elena in the book had a little sister.
- Back from the Dead: Twice, Jeremy has died and came back to life. The second time he came back to life, he became a medium, which is a human that sees dead people, spirits and ghosts.
- Badass Normal: He's a human among vampires and other supernatural creatures, but he shoots a hybrid in the back with a crossbow then decapitates him without flinching. Jeremy is also a vampire hunter and part of The Five of vampire hunters.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He almost never studies, but he's far from stupid. He also seems to have a knack for history and is a very good artist.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Anna is killed, he attempts to kill himself in order to turn into a vampire and thus turn off his emotions.
- Disney Death: This apparent death happens to Jeremy frequently.
- In the season two premiere, Jeremy comes back from the dead after Damon snaps his neck. His magical Gilbert ring saves him.
- In the season two finale, Jeremy is shot and dies, but after Bonnie pleads with the witch spirits, Jeremy comes back to life though he doesn't come back normal. He becomes a medium, a person who sees spirits and ghosts.
- Doom Magnet: Lampshaded in one of the very first episodes. He seems to lose everyone he cares about.Jeremy: Why does everyone have to die on me?
- Driven to Suicide: In the season one finale. He is so depressed that he ends up taking an entire bottle of pills after drinking Anna's blood, so that he can become a vampire and take his inner pain away.
- Gender Flip: Elena has a little sister in the books named Margaret, but instead is a male character on the show, Jeremy.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Jeremy often listens to music with headphones when he tries to avoid or ignore Elena from lecturing or harassing him.
- I See Dead People: He is a medium who can see spirits. It seems to be a side-effect from him coming Back from the Dead at the end of season two.
- Neck Snap:
- In 2x01, Damon snaps Jeremy's neck in a fit of rage after Elena rejected him. Luckily, Jeremy is still wearing his Gilbert magic ring and doesn't die.
- In 4x14, Silas snaps his neck. This time it's permanent and he's dead for real.
- Parental Abandonment: Both his parents died before the beginning of the series. He's still a teenager.
- Stalker with a Crush: He falls for Vicki Donovan in the first episodes and starts stalking her in the name of love. According to Vicki, Jeremy has been obsessed with her for a long time, even when Elena and Matt (Jeremy's sister and Vicki's brother, respectively) were dating.
- The Stoner: He's a drug dealer and uses the drugs himself.
- Troubled, but Cute: He's a troubled teen whose parents died and who takes and deals drugs and whose sister is a magnet for vampires and other supernatural beings. Many girls find him cute, including Vicki, Anna, Bonnie.
- Vampire Hunter: Jeremy is destined to be a vampire hunter. It gets revealed in season four that Jeremy is a member of The Five hunters. A group of hunters who have been hunting vampires since the 11th century. Connor Jordan is also a member of The Five.
Portrayed by: Candice Accola
"So you're saying now I'm an insecure, neurotic control freak... on crack?"
Caroline is Elena and Bonnie's ''other'' friend (and uncomfortably aware of this). She is a young, bubbly, spunky, shallow human turned vampire. Caroline is a similarly rich and privileged young woman. She is a descendant of the founding families through her mother, Sheriff Liz Forbes, but the importance of her mother's job means that Caroline often feels neglected, leading to a troubled relationship between the two of them. Desperately insecure and somewhat resentful of existing in Elena's shadow, things get even worse for Caroline when the attractive older man who catches her eye turns out to be Damon Salvatore, who uses her as a minion/sex-toy/blood-bank. After she is freed from his control, she starts dating Elena's ex, Matt - which isn't especially good for her inferiority complex. Caroline eventually falls in love with Tyler Lockwood and the two develop a romantic relationship. However, although Caroline loves Tyler, she does display an attraction towards, Klaus Mikaelson, an Original hybrid. Caroline is also very close with Stefan and she is often seen as Lexi 2.0 for Stefan. In the second season, she is turned into a vampire by Katherine, and actually manages to settle comfortably into this "undead life" despite the difficulties.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the novel series, Caroline has auburn red hair but on the show, Caroline is a blonde.
- Amicable Exes: She and her ex Matt are on good terms.
- Back from the Dead: Katherine kills her, but since she still has Damon's blood in her system, she turns into a vampire and becomes immortal.
- Badass Adorable: She's the lovable, ditzy, blonde girl... who has been able to kick vampire Damon's ass.
- The Big Girl: Caroline is tall and is constantly having her strength played up. She is constantly out-muscling other characters, lifting them out of wells, even lifting a heavy stone door requiring both brothers in another scene. Even her ethics have become more Chewbacca-like, with a valuing of courage and loyalty to friends rather than the more complex Hero and Heart ethics of Stefen and Elena.
- Character Development: She has become more interesting and tolerable since she is turned. Her vampire "life" suits her.
- Disappeared Dad: Caroline's father Bill abandoned his family (her and her mom Liz) when Caroline was younger. He's actually gay. He reveals himself in season 3.
- Dying Declaration of Love: While she's dying at the time, she declares Klaus' feelings for her instead of the other way around, which affects him so much that he heals her from the werewolf bite he inflicted on her.
- Genki Girl: Caroline is energetic and bubbly.
- Girly Bruiser: The most feminine of the three girls and also physically the strongest.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She has blond hair and she's very goodhearted.
- The Leader: Caroline is the leader or captain of the Mystic Falls High cheerleading squad (The Lady Timberwolves).
- Life Drinker: Caroline is a vampire, a living dead person. She feeds on blood.
- Love Interest: Villainous Klaus is romantically interested in her.
- The McCoy: Caroline is this within the trio of herself (The McCoy, Id), Bonnie (The Spock, Superego), and Elena (The Kirk, Ego). Caroline is more emotional, impulsive, energetic and hot-headed than Elena and Bonnie.
- Really Gets Around: Caroline is very boy crazy and goes for any guy that pays attention to her, especially in season one.
- Shipper on Deck: Caroline ships Stefan and Elena and she's the biggest "Stelena". She often advocates for the their relationship whenever she can, especially if Stefan and Elena break up or face issues in their relationship. She always says things to Elena about how Stefan is her epic love, how they're cute together, that he's her soulmate and so on.
- Took a Level in Badass: Upgraded to vampire in the beginning of season 2 and it seems to agree with her as she's kicking the crap out of the resident hunky werewolf dude by punting him ten feet into a tree after kneeing him in the vitals. Moments later she's saving the day by chomping on the local deputies' necks in front of her mother. As her mother is the sheriff and a prominent member on the local anti-vampire committee it probably won't end well. At least there's always handy vampire mind control to set things right again because Status Quois God .
Portrayed by: Zach Roerig
"I get it, this is your life now. But you know what my life is, Caroline? My life is an absentee mom, and a bunch of bills to pay, and school, and a job, and it sucks sometimes, but it's my life and I think that I just want to live it without all this."
Matt is Elena's childhood friend and first love. Matt was willing to give Elena space after the death of her parents, hoping that the two might eventually get back together. Naturally, he was somewhat upset when Elena then fell for Stefan... but was able work past it, befriending his 'love rival' and eventually beginning a new relationship with Caroline. Perhaps the reason for his mature outlook is that he had to grow up fast - unlike most of the other characters, Matt isn't the descendant of an ancient family, but from the wrong side of the tracks; from an early age, he had to look after his irresponsible alcoholic mother, Kelly and stoner big sister, Vicki.
- Alcoholic Parent: His mother Kelly drinks and is very irresponsible and erratic. He has to look after her.
- Amicable Exes: He and Elena break up. He's willing to give Elena space after the death of her parents, but he hopes they might get back together. He manages to be friends with her.
- Big Brother Instinct: He is rather protective of Jeremy who is Elena's younger brother.
- Disappeared Dad: His father is completely out of the picture and viewers know nothing about him.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Responsible to Vicki's Foolish. Vicki is his older sister, but he's way more mature and level-headed than her. He's the reliable one, while Vicki is a stoner.
- The Generic Guy: Unlike everyone else, he doesn't seem to have any interesting trait, or character development or particular story-line. He's just the Token Human Nice Guy.
- Genre Savvy: He's the one who points out that they live in a town full of supernaturals, so anyone who has knowledge of anything in that area is 'creepy until proven otherwise' and that Atticus Shane is not to be trusted. It helps that he investigates the explosion that took out the Council, and discovered that Pastor Young was constantly in touch with Atticus, calling him ten times on the day of the explosion.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Despite being very jealous of Stefan and his relationship with Elena, he tries to become friends with him and really tries to reconcile with the fact.
- Lovable Jock: He's the quarterback of the Mystic Falls High School football team, but, unlike Tyler, he's not a Jerk Jock but a nice and considerate guy.
- The Mole: Although Caroline believes she removed his memories of the supernatural at his own request in "Know Thy Enemy", he is on vervain (antidote) at the time, and he starts working with Sheriff Forbes as a spy.
- The Nicknamer: Has a habit of calling people by the first syllable of their names, and so Jeremy becomes "Jer", Caroline becomes "Car", Bonnie becomes "Bon", Tyler becomes "Ty", Vickie becomes "Vick" etc.
- Parental Abandonment: His alcoholic mother eventually leaves him and his sister alone and nothing is known about his father.
- Platonic Life-Partners: Seems to become this with Elena. They're certainly still very close friends despite the breakup.
- Token Human: The only cast member with no supernatural elements or special abilities.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Elena, his childhood friend and former girlfriend. He still pines for her, but she has her eyes for another one.
Portrayed by: Kayla Ewell
"Don't start with the little twelve-steps thing. School councilor has been down that road, it doesn`t work for me."
Matt's older sister and Jeremy's first girlfriend, Vicki is a compulsive drug user who gets high to avoid her crappy life. She is turned by Damon on a whim.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: After she is turned, everyone around her suddenly looks like a walking blood bag. According to Stefan, this is usual for a new vampire.
- Life Drinker: Vickie is a vampire that feeds on blood. She's capable of living forever and can't die under normal circumstances.
- Jerkass: Jeremy seems to be the only person who genuinely likes her and she is pretty horrible to everyone, including to Jeremy.
- Ms. Fanservice: She dances around in her undies under Damon's compulsion
- Sacrificial Lion: Stefan has to stake and kill Vickie in order to protect Elena and Jeremy from Vickie killing the both of them.
- Mid-Season Twist: To prove the point that anyone can die, Vicki gets killed off. She's Matt's sister and the first character turned into a vampire onscreen, and the center of a prominent secondary love triangle between Jeremy and Tyler.
Portrayed by: Michael Trevino
"I have no one else to tell. I'm sorry about earlier. It's just, I'm alone with this. What's gonna happen to me? I'm gonna turn on the next full moon, and I won't be able to stop it. I'm scared."
Matt's best friend, though the two couldn't be more different - Tyler seems to be nothing more than a Jerk Jock, and the son of the town's Mayor. But his parents are very unpleasant people... and Tyler has actually inherited more from his father than just womanizing ways and a hair-trigger temper... The Lockwood bloodline are actually potential werewolves, and following Katherine's plan in the second season Tyler becomes a full werewolf himself.
- Abusive Parents: His father was violently abusive towards him.
- Character Development: He is an annoying bully and a Jerk Jock in season 1 but develops into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold who really cares about Caroline.
- Dirty Coward: He's good with threats but when Jeremy actually challenges him to a fight, he backs away.
- Freudian Excuse: He's not a nice guy, but his father is a womanizing, abusive jerk who forces him to fight Jeremy "like a man".
- Hidden Depths: He's quite a good artist. Jeremy compliments him on his artistic skills.
- Magic Pants: Tries to invoke it. Tyler removes his shirt before his transformation but keeps his pants on, in the hope that "it's like the hulk where I get to keep my pants". It's not.
- Mr. Fanservice: Winds up naked after transforming back on several occasions.
- Parental Abandonment: Both his parents are dead. Considering how horrible they were — good riddance, especially his father.
Portrayed by: Sara Canning
"I've become my worst nightmare. The authority figure."
In a better world, Jenna could have been an awesome cool aunt to Elena and Jeremy. With the tragic death of her sister and brother-in-law, however, she has to step up into the role of guardian for the two of them but she's not really suited for it. Still, she tries... and at least she gets a nice love interest in the form of Alaric, following the second mysterious disappearance of Logan "Scum" Fell. She is turned into a vampire and then sacrificed by Klaus.
- Adaptation Name Change: In the books, Elena's aunt's name is Judith Maxwell (nee Gilbert). On the show, she's Jenna Sommers.
- Life Drinker: Jenna is turned into a vampire at the end of Season 2 who lives on blood. She gains the ability to live forever without ageing.
- Killed Off for Real: She ends up being turned into a vampire and later gets killed by Klaus while attempting to throw a wrench into Klaus' plans.
- Older Than They Look: She's Elena and Jeremy's aunt and a generation older than them, but she looks like Elena's peer.
- Out of Focus: She's quickly demoted to a Plot Device for inviting vampires into the Gilbert house or getting compelled by them.
- Parental Substitute: After her sister and brother-in-law are killed in a car crash, she becomes Elena and Jeremy's legal guardian.
Portrayed by: Matt Davis
"I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions."
Alaric is the replacement history teacher after Mr Tanner was killed by a mountain lion, Alaric is much friendlier. But he's not without secrets - he came to Mystic Falls to hunt vampires, in particular the one that killed his wife. He finds rather more than he planned to... but settles into working with the heroes to protect the town from supernatural threats.
- Badass Normal: History teacher by day, vampire hunter by night. Skilled one at that.
- Cool Teacher: He's a replacement for a history Sadist Teacher. Unlike him he's a very likable person.
- Love Hurts: Alaric hasn't had much luck when it comes to love. First, his wife dies and becomes a vampire. Then his big love Jenna dies.
- Red Herring: When he is first introduced, there are many exceedingly obvious hints that he is a vampire and it looks like he has been behind recent murders. His true identity as a vampire hunter is revealed when he kills the vampire that was actually behind those killings.
- Team Dad: Being the only adult, he often serves as a father figure to those high school vampire supernatural kids, especially to not-supernatural vampire-hunter-to-be Jeremy.
- The Unpronounceable: Alaric Saltzman seems to be a mouthful. He himself humorously says his name is difficult to pronounce. Most people just call him Rick.
- Vampire Hunter: Alaric's side job apart from being a history teacher is vampire hunting.
- You Killed My Father: You Killed My Wife. He originally comes to town to kill Damon Salvatore because he believes that Damon killed his wife.