The main protagonist of the Ranma ½ series and the protagonist of the story. A master of Super Natural Martial Arts who has strength, speed and abilities far surpassing those of a normal human and attracts bad luck and weirdness wherever he goes. After his climatic battle with Saffron at Jusendo and the whole failed wedding fiasco, Ranma was given the sadistic choice to either be expelled from Furinkan High or go through a humiliating death trap by Principal Kuno, he chose the former. As fate would have it, instead of focusing on his training or getting a job to earn his keep, as he intended, he was "invited" to attend Youkai Academy for rehabilitation after destroying a mountain during his fight with Saffron.
During his first day at Youkai Academy he meets another human, a timid boy named Tsukune Aono, who becomes his best friend and confidant, and together they gain many friends and enemies and have countless adventures while trying to stay alive in that Boarding School of Horrors. After a while, they attract the attention of the Enforcers, a corrupt student police force who were more interested in using their authority to oppress the students over of protecting them and Ranma became one of their main targets. After a series of battles, Ranma, Tsukune and their monster allies were able to defeat the corrupt protection committee, with the pig-tailed man administering the final blow to their leader Kuyo. Ranma then becomes the Vice-Captain of the New Protection Committee, with Tsukune becoming the Captain, since no one wanted Ranma with that position.
Like his canon counterpart, Ranma is still a contradictory character, though his positive traits show a bit more since adventures are more serious and the people around him are more forgiving and comfortable around him. He believes the strong should protect the weak and has romantic notions of heroism, however he is very insentitive and rude getting on many of his friends' nerves. He is also somewhat human-centric and takes great pride in being a human who can fight monsters because of his martial arts training, so it becomes a berserk button when someone calls him a monster, since it implies his strength is just monster power.
- Most of the time, Ranma is very laid-back and usually friendly to those around him; he even lends a sympathetic ear to those who are having problems like Kurumu. He also believes its a martial artist's duty to protect the weak from those who would take advantage of them, whether they be monster or human. He is also pretty forgiving to those who've caused him trouble like Kana and Inner-Moka.
- On the flip side though, Ranma can be a major Jerkass to friends and foes alike and ruthless when inclined. At the start of the story, he was ready to stake Moka through the heart after she sucked Tsukune's blood for the first time and admitted that he didn't like vampires when she asked, before even getting to know her (though in Ranma's defense, he had no good experiences with the undead). He also came close to blasting Kurumu into the ground with his Moko Takabisha, only stopping after Tsukune got between them. While he does get better as the story progresses, Ranma is still obnoxious and insulting even to close friends like Moka and Kouma.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Ranma can be this at times. Unlike most, he can back it up.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: He's still attractive in both forms. His female form is destribed as very beautiful (Tsukune notes her as: not as cute as Moka, but more developed). There are some male monsters who, depending on whether she was naturally a guy or girl, would like to date her. Even Tsukune rates her, on a scale of 1-10, to be a 10, tying with Moka and actually beating Kurumu, who got a 9. There are many female monsters that find his male form attractive (such as Kana, Yukari and Mizore) and there was even one instance where he was almost taken by force by Tobaki.
- Badass Normal: Natch.
- Berserk Button: Calling him a monster after he tells you, to your face, that he is a human. He feels insulted that the monsters believe his strength and skill come from monstrous power and not the arduous, decade long training he went through. Only Tsukune, Moka and Fran Madaraki believe his claims. His Unwanted Harem still believes that he is anything BUT a human.
- Big Brother Instinct: Ranma towards Tsukune, and possibly towards Moka, Kurumu and Yukari; it works since Ranma is eighteen years old while the others are around fifteen, except Yukari, who is eleven.
- Blood Knight: Ranma likes a good fight now and then, despite Moka's complaints.
- Boobs of Steel: Kurumu described Female-Ranma's breasts as almost as magnificent as hers.
- Braids of Action: One of Ranma's most recognizable traits.
- Brains and Brawn: The brawn to Tsukune's brain.
- Brutally Honest: Most of it at Moka's expense, though he can lie and sometimes even pull it off.
- Bully Hunter: This is one of his main jobs as the Vice-Captain of the New Protection Committee.
- The Cape
- Cassandra Truth/ Ignored Confession: Everytime Ranma says he's human everyone treats it like a joke, or that he's delusional or brain damaged.
- Celibate Hero: Though he sometimes act like a Chaste Hero around Kana and Mizore.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Ranma can go toe-to-toe with some of the worst monsters in the school because he went through Training from Hell for most of his life and he's damn proud of it.
- Chick Magnet: Still attracts girls, even if they are monsters.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Combat Pragmatist
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: Ranma's spiders see him and by extension all of humanity as Gods and actually worship him; Ranma is completely unaware of this. Believe it or not, Ranma actually gave the spiders a better afterlife by marrying Satan's daughter Lucy.
- Curse: His gender-bender curse of course. Also during his prank war with Yukari, he was hit with an accidentally fatal bad luck curse.
- Danger Sense: He also has a 'Shampoo Sense' for predicting when he's about to be hit by a bicycle out of nowhere, which he uses to dodge Moka's surprise entrance leading to her hitting Tsukune like in the series.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Determinator: Ranma hates losing and never backs down from a fight or challenge even if it's against insanely powerful opponents like Richard, Rikishi or Inner-Moka. Even if the challenge is ridiculous like the prank war with Yukari, Ranma won't back down until his opponent is beaten, gives up or (and this hasn't happened in the fic yet) until he is knocked out.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: He once spun himself like a human top while fighting Chopper and practically rearranged the troll's face. He also used his Hiryu Shoten Ha to beat Kuyo with one strike.
- The Fettered: As a martial artist, he restrains himself if need be. This is one of the things that seperates him from the monsters. In a sense, this is one of the few human qualities he has.
- Five-Finger Discount: He went around all of his teachers' desks and stole things from them to be used later like Jadeite's stress ball and the Dark Liege's soul shards.
- Flaw Exploitation: Ranma uses this against Rikishi (pulling his arms out of their sockets) and Inner Moka (use of water). Comes with being a practitioner of the Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts.
- Gag Boobs: In his female form.
- Gag Penis: If Kurumu and Moka's reactions were anything to go by.
- Gender Bender: Ranma, obviously. Moka and Kurumu finding out about it is absolutely hilarious, see entry under Gag Penis.
- God-Emperor: Of his spiders.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Hair Colors: Male (Black) and Female (Red).
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Tsukune.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: At the very least Kouma thinks it's hilarious.
- In Harm's Way: Ranma's attitude in the beginning as it takes place at the end of his manga series (but at the start of Rosario Vampire) and he can't stand the return to the mundane and dreary life of school without people trying to kill him. He gets his wish soon after.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he may be rough around the edges, he's more than willing to kick the ass of anyone who threatens his friends. See also the aftermath of his fight with Kana in chapter 2.
- Ranma almost always has good intentions. But not only is he incredibly socially awkward, he is a Heroic Sociopath who, while having normal morals in regards to protecting innocents, defending the weak, and so on, at times demonstrates a value system that meshes a little too well with that of the average monster. He even talks about this with Fran at one point.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: See any of his interactions with Saffron.
- Ranma almost always has good intentions. But not only is he incredibly socially awkward, he is a Heroic Sociopath who, while having normal morals in regards to protecting innocents, defending the weak, and so on, at times demonstrates a value system that meshes a little too well with that of the average monster. He even talks about this with Fran at one point.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Ranma's Moko Takabisha
- Lightning Bruiser: While not exactly the best when it comes to brute strength in this setting, he's still incredibly strong, enough to even lift a boulder and tall as himself, hold it for a few seconds, and throw it without being winded in the slightest. He has an extremly high level of speed, able to move as a 'red and black blur' and can punch in a single spot hundreds of times so fast it looks like a single punch, like what he did to a sand bag in the Fight Club. His stamina and endurance is also very high, able to take a clean hit from Inner-Moka in the chest, which knocks out most monsters with the first kick, and still keep on fighting.
- No Social Skills: Even the monsters are better at this than him.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: Ranma's signature attack.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Tsukune's Blue Oni.
- The Blue Oni to Kouma's Red Oni.
- She-Fu: A heavy basis of his fighting style in either form.
- Shipper on Deck: It isn't mentioned often, but Ranma clearly thinks that Kurumu would be a better girlfriend for Tsukune than Moka.
- Super Speed: Ranma all the way, most characters only see him or his fists blur out of existence or don't even perceive him moving until the hit connects. Riza Wildman asks him to hit a punching bag as fast as he can, it instantly winds up across the gym with Tsukune swearing he didn't even see him move. Wildman chides Ranma a bit, but Ranma explains that he hits things so many times in the same place so quickly that his fastest hit and his strongest hit are pretty much the same thing.
- Super Strength
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: While he makes a few more exceptions in this fic, this is still one of his number one rules and will usually avoid using lethal force.
- Tranquil Fury: In this fic, when Ranma is extremely angry or is going to fight all out, he turns from arrogant and annoying to cold and deadly.
- The Trickster: Ranma is showing shades of this. While he is not at all book smart, he is very cunning, and in this fic, he stole the Dark Liege's soul shards and Jadeite's stress balls from their desks to use against them later. He also went toe to toe with Yukari (a genius} in the prank war.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Moka and thinks he's this with Kouma.
- Weak, but Skilled: Ranma is obviously far from weak, but he tends to have less in the way of raw power than anything that could actually challenge him, but he's also hands down the most skilled fighter at Youkai Academy and probably the most experienced as well.
- Weirdness Magnet
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Why Did It Have To Be Cats: Ranma's fear is cats; so he is training giant spiders to hunt them.
- Would Hit a Girl: Ranma is more likely go all out against monster girls than human girls, but in these cases it's Justified since these girls have little to no problem with killing you in cold blood or worse.
The main protagonist of the Rosario + Vampire series and the deuteragonist of the story. Tsukune was just an all-around average human boy, from his looks to his grades which were not good enough to get into a good high school. One day his father found an application to Youkai Academy and with nowhere else to go, Tsukune took it. On his first day of school, Tsukune met the strange, yet couragious young man Ranma Saotome, who quickly became his best friend and the friendly vampire Moka Akashiya, who Tsukune fell in love with at first sight. Unlike Ranma, Tsukune had a hard time adjusting to the monster school at first but thanks to his friends he was able to adapt and become much needed voice of reason to the heroes.
After a number of adventures, Tsukune became involved with the Enforcers, the corrupt student police force of Youkai, and was almost kidnapped by them to lure Ranma into a trap. After this, Tsukune got fed up with the Protection Committee's corruption and organized a revolt against them, successfully overthrowing Kuyo. After the battle Hokuto Kaneshiro, the Student Council President, appointed Tsukune as the new Captain of the Protection Committee for his ideals of justice and not wanting to give the position to Ranma. Kind and forgiving, with an excellent perspective on human rights and moral philosophy, Tsukune works with his friends to make Youkai Academy a safe place for all monsters to learn peaceful coexistance with humans.
- Action Survivor: He had to adapt very quickly to survive in Youkai Academy.
- Badass Pacifist: At least for now.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Tsukune's one and only ability and probably the greatest force in the Universe. It's easy to underestimate this until you realize that the world is composed of one half a group of sociopathic, rapist, mass murderous monsters without a smidge of empathy and the other came from a Rumiko Takahashi standard comedy shows just how special Tsukune is. About 90% of the protagonists and side characters are loyal to him because of this.
- Book Dumb: Tsukune, despite having average grades, demonstrates in recent chapters that he is actually pretty cunning, evolving not just into The Strategist, but the True Companions' leader.
- Boy Meets Ghoul: Meets vampire really.
- Brains and Brawn: The brains to Ranma's brawn.
- The Cape
- Chick Magnet: Not as much as Ranma but having the two most beautiful girls in school, Moka Akashiya and Kurumu Kurono, after you is nothing to sneeze at.
- Character Development: Started out as timid and weak as his canon counterpart but quickly became more confident and assertive, using his brains instead of his brawn to fight his opponents. This helps him when he becomes the new Captain of the Protection Committee.
- Covert Pervert: Around Moka and Kurumu.
- Da Chief
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deuteragonist: The story focuses on his point of view almost or just as much as Ranma's.
- Distressed Dude: Subverted. Tsukune is often victimized by the monsters at Youkai, so usually Ranma and/or the girls have to help him. In this fic, however, there are many instances where he uses his wits to outsmart his opponents such as when he tricked an enforcer into making cat noises so the spider on Tsukune's head would attack him, or when he tricked Richard into killing another enforcer when it looked like he and his friends were surrendering (he did feel awful about it afterwards though, the enforcer that was killed was THE Token Good Teammate).
- Guile Hero: Tsukune is a more realistic version of this.
- The Heart: Tsukume role in the series and trying to become this for the Yokai Academy at large.
- Heroic BSoD: He had one for a short time after he manipulated Richard into killing an enforcer.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Ranma.
- Kirk Summation: He is known to do this. Sometimes it doesn't work like with the Holy Dragon and Saffron, but when does work, it shows. The best example would be when he persuaded Ruby to stop her plans for destroying the human city and rethink her views.
- Love at First Sight: With Moka like in canon.
- Morality Pet: For Ranma, who always tries to do right by him.
- Nice Guy: Perhaps the only person in the entire Verse who could be described as this.
- Nose Bleed: Gets these from time to time thanks to Moka and Kurumu.
- Only Sane Man: All the time.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Emphasis on the 'ordinary'.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Ranma's Red Oni.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: His description in chapter 1 best sums it up:"His looks were neither compelling nor unattractive, and he bore absolutely no distinguishing features. In fact, most would say that the most distinguishing thing about him was how unremarkable he looked compared to almost anyone else. His short black hair was clumsily combed into a style that was neither unfashionable nor trendy, and his brown eyes seemed plain and unassuming. His outfit was a normal school uniform, if a nicely pressed one."
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Tsukune is very strict about this. This was his first rule as Captain of the Protection Committee.
- Token Human: It infuriates Ranma that he's not included.
- Took a Level in Badass: He's become quite unfased by the sheer insanity of Yokai Academy and had grown a backbone and a desire to help others no matter what.
- Unfazed Everyman
- Unlucky Everydude
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Averted. Tsukune's honesty, tolerance and respect at first hand. That's it, until you realize that this has allowed him to (unintentionally) create the strongest force in the Academy and Obtain the post as leader of the New Protection Committee.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: After the Enforcers are defeated the Student Council President appoints Tsukune as the new head of the Protection Committee...partly for his ideals and partly for 'his general proximity to a guy that can throw giant tornadoes at those who oppose him'. There's also the small factor of nobody wanting Ranma in that kind of position of authority (though Hokuto lets him be Vice-Captain anyway).
The first monster Ranma and Tsukune encounter at Youkai Academy. Moka is a vampire who takes a liking to Tsukune after ingesting his blood, and a dislike for Ranma after learning hearing he was a human who didn't like vampires. Usually very sweet and kind, she helps Tsukune anyway she can while attending Youkai, even if that means putting up with Ranma's abrasive behavior. Later in the story, after Tsukune accidentily removed her rosario for the first time during a fight with the enforcers, Moka's true nature was awakened. The Inner 'Evil' Moka is not only cold and arrogant like her canon counterpart but also vengeful and intimidating, having little to no patience for even Tsukune and the others. Out of everyone, she held the most contempt for Ranma and is always waiting for the chance to defeat and humble the martial artist for his shabby treatment of Outer Moka, even if it meant breaking every bone in his body.
She acts as the Student Council Representative for the Committee.
- Fantastic Racism: They've both shown varying degrees of prejudice towards humans, though never to the extreme like their contemperaries.
- Outer-Moka hated humans for teasing her in middle-school and Ranma openly admitting he was a human after preparing to stab her through the heart and saying he didn't like vampires didn't help. However she grew out of this after getting to know Tsukune.
- Inner-Moka actually shows less contempt for humans as she practically looks down on everyone. However, she just can't fathom a human, even a highly skilled martial artist, ever being a match for her in battle.
- Jekyll & Hyde: A lot more so than in canon. While Inner-Moka is not necessarily evil, she is very ruthless towards those who offend or even annoy her and she has yet to show any kindness towards anyone. This may be justified in that Inner is hardly ever released and has not had time to form attachments to anyone other than Outer, and even that relationship is rocky at best.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Outer (light) and Inner (dark).
- Only the Chosen May Wield: Tsukune is the only person who can remove Moka's rosario. The heroes have yet to realise this and have little reason to since they don't trust Inner-Moka yet.
- Power Limiter: The rosario on her neck keeps Evil Moka in check.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Split Personality: Inner Moka is the original while Outer Moka is artificial. Many crazy jokes were cracked at Moka's expense.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Outer-Moka (sugar) and Inner-Moka (Ice).
- Transformation Trinket: The rosario is a variation.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Contact with pure water is like an electric shock.
The most adorable (and useless) vampire in school. She is actually an artificial persona created by the Rosario to keep Inner Moka safe, but Ranma and friends think of her as the real Moka.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Was teased at her previous school, specifically for saying she was a vampire.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Kurumu's Veronica.
- Butt-Monkey: She is described as the least respected member of the New Protection Committee.
- Covert Pervert: If what Inner Moka says is true, she has quite the fantasies in the deep recesses of her mind.
- Cute Little Fangs: She's a vampire, so duh.
- Friendless Background
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: As opposed to Evil Moka, who's anything but.
- Magical Girlfriend: Although her magical nature is sealed by her Rosario.
- Mistaken For Crazy: Constantly, whenever she's seen talking to the rosario.
- Worst Vampire Ever: Lots of people have this opinion of her, but what clinches it for Kurumu is the fact that she doesn't sleep through the day.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair
Inner Moka/ Evil Moka
The true power and personality of Moka, unsealed when Tsukune removes her rosario. Very, very bad at first impressions.
- Anti-Hero: Type V
- Berserk Button: Ranma is her button. She can't stand him even at the best of times and the implication that he's stronger than her is enough to send her into a rage.
- Breast Expansion: At least a cup size.
- Catchphrase: "Learn Your Place!" It's too bad some people, with pigtails specifically, refuse to learn.
- Deadpan Snarker: Even more scathing in her criticisms of Outer-Moka than Ranma is. It sometimes gets to the point where Outer has to give her a Big "SHUT UP!" to get her to stop, making anyone around them think she's crazy.
- Demoted to Extra: Played with. She was introduced much later in the story than in canon, but afterwards she frequently speaks to Outer-Moka through the rosario and her mind. She still doesn't get let out much, though- Ranma has basically taken her place as the group's powerhouse and Tsukune's protector.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Kinda iffy on the evil part, but her voice is described as very deep compared to Outer-Moka.
- Extremity Extremist/ Kick Chick: Relies almost exclusively on kicks during battle.
- Hates Everyone Equally: She doesn't have anything special against humans; she's contemptuous of everyone. The thought of a human being able to match her does drive her crazy, though.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Tsukune and Kurumu eventually realize this is why Inner Moka hates Ranma so much: she's afraid she may not actually be strong enough to beat him and more or less sought him out (as soon as she was unsealed, mind you) to prove she wasn't scared.
- Lady of War
- Mystical White Hair
- Proud Warrior Race Girl: Very proud and damaging that pride can pretty much earn you an enemy for life, or at least until you are smashed into the ground and utterly humiliated. It's too bad that Ranma can fight her on even ground.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She has the traditional red vampire eyes with Hellish Pupils.
- The Rival: The closest thing to a rival Ranma has in this fic.
- Roundhouse Kick
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Okay, so she's not as much evil as she is a total Ice Queen, but she's much closer to this than in canon as she hasn't been let out as much and lacks her canon self's Character Development. This is, however, the opinion of Outer Moka's friends In-Universe- they call her Evil Moka.
- The other characters certainly think so. The first time she was set free her fight with Ranma destroyed an entire wing of the school and left both her and Ranma in pretty bad shape; since then, she keeps talking to Outer Moka about how much she hates the pigtailed martial artist and the various violent things she wants to do to him. So the heroes are dead set about never letting her out again, no matter how dire the situation is, and she's beginning to become a little concerned about that.
- Super Speed: She can accelerate like a gunshot.
- Super Strength: One of the physically strongest monsters in the entire school.
A busty succubus attending Youkai Academy. Like her canon counterpart she was initially Moka's rival and wanted to steal Tsukune from her out of petty revenge. When this didn't work she tried to kill both of them only to be stopped and defeated by Ranma. Afterwards she fell in love with Tsukune after he persuaded Ranma not to blast her with his moko takabisha and decided he was her 'Mate of Fate'. She is fiecely loyal to Tsukune, following him anywhere if it means getting closer to him, and built up a sound (and surprisingly platonic) friendship with Ranma to go with her friendly rivalry with Moka.
She is the Compliance Squad Leader for the Committee.
- Action Girl: The strongest girl on the team when Inner-Moka is not around.
- Alliterative Name
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Moka's Betty.
- Buxom Is Better: She certainly thinks so, and takes great pride in her chest size.
- Forceful Kiss: Kurumu does this to Tsukune in After School Session chapter 3. Doubles as a Motivational Kiss as she used allure to cure his stage fright when he had to do a speech in front of the student body.
- Gag Boobs
- HeelFace Turn: She was originally an enemy of Moka like in canon. After being defeated by Ranma however, she became one of the most reliable and trustworthy of allies.
- Honor Before Reason: It would be very easy for her to use her allure or a kiss to make Tsukune hers, but she swore to herself that she would seduce him without cheap tricks. Even after spending a whole night sleeping in the same sleeping bag as Tsukune on Witch's Knoll she did not do anything to him.
- Horny Devils: Only towards Tsukune. She's actually very kind-hearted and innocent for a succubus.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Her 'allure' technique, which succubi use to control men.
- Marshmallow Hell: This is her favorite greeting for Tsukune.
- Ms. Fanservice: Whether she wants to or not, Kurumu is most likeliest girl to suffer clothing damage or dress in revealing outfits.
- Nature Abhors a Virgin: If you're a teenage succubus at least. The girls (especially Yukari and Tobaki) really got on her case when they found out she was a virgin.
- Never Bareheaded: She only took off her hair decs once so far to wash her hair, during a hilariously dangerous period on Witch's Knoll.
- Only You Can Repopulate My Race: She's still not sure how succubi are an endangered species, but she is determined to make Tsukune the one man to sire her children.
- Rescue Romance: She fell in love with Tsukune after he stopped Ranma from blasting her.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: In After School Session Chapter 3, she takes over the school when she was left in charge while Ranma, Tsukune, Kouma, Moka and Yukari were in Hell. She practically turned it into a miniature roman empire with Kana and Mizore as her fanner and drink cooler respectively, and turned most the male students her adoring slaves.
- Winged Humanoid: In contrast to Kana, she has thick, black bat wings. This along with sharp fingernails, is a trait that all succubi share since tails, Pointy Ears, sharp teeth and horns vary between the species because of the erratic mating patterns.
- Wolverine Claws: Can slice through trees, though thick, healthy wood can give her trouble.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The smartest student at Youkai Academy, and the group's token genius, Yukari is an 11 year old prodigy witch who's taken a romantic interest in Moka and practically hero worships Ranma, who she refers to as senpai. She was originally very hostile towards everyone other than Moka, seeing them as undeserving of her company, but after Ranma challenged her to the infamous prank war she gained a new respect for him. While still abrasive towards most others she more or less became Vitriolic Best Buds with the other members of the committee and uses her various magical skills to help when necessary.
She is the Intelligence Officer of the Protection Committee.
- A-Cup Angst: She doesn't dwell on it much but understands (or at least says she does) that her body is not woman enough for Ranma yet.
- Bratty Half-Pint/ Mouthy Kid: Especially in the beginning.
- Child Prodigy
- Cute Witch
- Death Dealer: Using her tarot cards.
- Drop the Washtub: She sometimes uses this for comedic effect.
- Fantastic Racism: Both a victim and an offender. Monsters looked down on her because she was a witch (to them witches a closer to humans than monsters) and Tobaki openly admitted that they hated her race; some creatures would gladly run down a witch for giggles. Jadeite even compared witches to scum that accumulates in the corner of the pool. This racism wasn't very obvious in the beginning because of Yukari's obnoxious behaviour and love of pranks.
- Yukari has shown prejudice towards humans because she heard stories of witch hunts in the human world and was distrustful of Tsukune after his species was revealed. She's also prejudiced against monstrels in this fic, calling them abominations. She changed her views on humans after a heart-to-heart talk with Tsukune.
- Friendless Background
- Insufferable Genius: She can be this at times.
- Intelligence = Isolation
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Even prior to her Character Development, she was fairly insufferable but didn't want to kill anyone, even Ranma.
- Killer Game Master: Yukari becomes one near the end of the 'Cities and Cyclists' chapter in 'Big Human on Campus: After School'.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: She's horrified when she learns that witches caused the Black Death, and she opposes Oyakata's plan to set the Garigari plants and Hanabake on humanity.
- Nice Hat: A standard pointy witch's hat.
- Token Mini-Moe
A Yuki-onna/Snow Maiden who falls in love with Ranma after he saves her from being incinerated by a stray fireball during his fight with Kouma. She stalks him from a distance and acts as Kana's rival for his affection.
She's the Service Representative for the Protection Committee.
- Action Girl
- Anime Hair
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Kana's Betty.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Shown signs of this in an omake, she replaced a frozen, decapitated girl's head with a snowman's.
- Deadpan Snarker
- An Ice Person
- Loners Are Freaks: Kana certainly thinks so. Even after joining the committee she's still considered strange.
- Oral Fixation: Her lollipop, which she uses to keep her body cool.
- Rescue Romance: She fell in love with Ranma after he saved her from being blasted by Kouma's fireball.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Ranma.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Can appear in the most ridiculous places and disappear just as quickly.
- The Stoic
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Wolverine Claws: Made of Ice.
A siren who suffers from extreme shyness which she claims is a defense mechanism from growing up while being a target, and as a result has great difficulty speaking normally despite being a siren. Whenever she is not subject to anyone's direct attention, is very familiar with those around her, or is simply very happy, perturbed, or enraged, she instantly overcomes this obstacle, unleashing her powers to their fullest potential. Ranma is her closest companion, as the pigtailed boy has taken to keeping close enough to hear what she says so that he can tell others when necessary.
She is the Vice-Captain's Aide (self-proclaimed).
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Mizore's Veronica.
- Berserk Button: Getting between her and Ranma. Also attacking her is enough to set her off.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: She may be shy but Kana has quite the temper and will lash out with her voice when pushed.
- Covert Pervert: She wants a boyfriend and she's not all together shy about going all the way either.
- Cute, but Cacophonic
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Enthralling Siren
- Love at First Punch: The receiving end with a boulder.
- Original Character
- Shrinking Violet: Kana has shown shades of this. Among large groups of people she can't get her voice above a whisper, but when dealing people trying to get between her and her Ranma or when around the Pig-tailed Man himself, she's able to converse somewhat normally.
- Tsundere: Type B
- Winged Humanoid: In contrast to Kurumu, Kana has white, delicate, feathery wings.
A hellhound who was kicked out of Hell, Kouma now attends Youkai Academy to help keep his temper in check. He has two main goals in life, to become a lawyer and kill his father, who abandoned his post and his family to become a pet for the dark elves; this selfish act caused Kouma and his remaining family's expulsion from Hell and into the human world. Kouma was once part of the Fight Club and partnered with Ranma while he was in the club. After Ranma left the club for the Protection Committee, Kouma was dragged along after getting chewed out by Riza Wildma for not sticking with his partner. Hot-tempered and cantankerous, Kouma has few friends on the Committee but proves his worth time and again against the many foes the committee faces.
He is a Compliance Squad Member.
- Angry Guard Dog: Was training to be one in Hell before getting kicked out.
- Antagonistic Offspring: One of Kouma's main goals in life is to get strong enough to kill his father for abandoning his post and his family to be a pet for the dark elves.
- Badass in Distress: He was captured by Lady Oyakata and forced to become her new familiar.
- Berserk Button: He has many but the one that sets him off the most is treating him like a pet.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Besides being a hellhound, this is Kouma's most distinguishable physical trait.
- Burning with Anger: It doesn't take much to set him alight because of his temper but when Kouma gets pushed too far his flames become ground-meltingly hot and concentrated. His breath attack after this can be described as a giant welding torch.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Evil Lawyer Joke: Kouma (a hellhound) wants to become a lawyer someday. This is lampshaded by many characters.
- Expy: Subverted. Several readers seem to think he's meant to be one of Ryoga, but there are several differences: almost everything that Kouma blames Ranma for really is Ranma's fault in some way, whereas Ryoga simply blames Ranma for his problems because of accidents (which Ryoga is usually partly responsible for), pride, or stupidity. Likewise, Kouma is also more concerned about not hurting innocent bystanders when getting into fights, whereas Ryoga is typically more careless. They both have short tempers and a rivalry with Ranma, though.
- He also seems to have a lot in common with Nora from Nora: The Last Crusade of Devildom, both are short-tempered infernal canines and greatly dislike the partners they were forced to work with. However, like the above example Kouma is concerned about not hurting bystanders and usually much more civil and disciplined than Nora unless provoked. Lastly, Kouma is a hellhound from Hell while Nora is the more powerful cerberus from the Makai (demon world).
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: Hails from one. It's why he's constantly smoking- the cigarettes provide a good imitation of Hell's atmosphere.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Kouma's preferred fighting style while in human form.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: This got him into a bit of trouble in the human world, so he's attending Youkai Academy to help curb it.
- Hell Hound
- Hot for Teacher: Has a large crush on Ms. Wildman.
- No Respect Guy
- Only Sane Man: Compared to the rest of the school at least. Despite his Hair-Trigger Temper, he understands morality and human social mores to an extent (he attributes the former to growing up seeing evil being punished).
- Original Character
- Pay Evil unto Evil: This shouldn't come as a surprise as he was trained to be a guard dog of Hell and punish the wicked and sinful. This is best shown when he dragged Lady Oyakata to Hell.
- Playing with Fire
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's Red Oni compared to practically everyone, especially Ranma and Gin.
- Smarter Than You Look: The mid-term scores show that he is in the top ten, surpassing even Moka and Tobaki's grades. This is lampshaded by the other characters who, with the exception of Ranma and Tsukune, thought he cheated or threatened a teacher. As it turns out, Kouma studies very hard to be a lawyer, he just doesn't show his intelligent side much because of his Hair-Trigger Temper.
- Smoking Is Cool: Kouma smokes cigarettes to keep his body temperature up.
- Tranquil Fury: After listening to a Ranma-disguised Yukari's insults Kouma went past fiery rage and to a frighteningly calm and powerful state of fury complete with demonic symbols and Ominous Latin Chanting. His attack in this state was devastatingly powerful.
A troll who loves a good fight, Chopper was originally part of the wrestling club but lost a bet with Ranma and became part of the New Protection Committee.
He is part of the Compliance Squad
- Ascended Extra: Chopper was originally just another Monster of the Week in the manga, now he's one of the main characters.
- Blood Knight: Fighting is one of the only things that gets him excited.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Dumb Muscle
- Early-Bird Cameo: He takes the corpse of the spider Ranma killed early in the story (before he started training them), and finds a gold ring in it.
- Healing Factor: He can heal wounds quickly in this story. It said that trolls can even regenerate lost limbs.
- Implacable Man
- Literal-Minded: When Ruby asks him why he's taking orders from a "human worm", his response is to point out that Tsukune's a regular human, not a worm of any sort.
- Mighty Glacier
- Nice Guy
- Super Strength
A holdover from the old Protection Committee who stayed on thanks to her skill at lying and the fact that NOBODY wanted to disappoint Tobaki. Keito is a spider monster (jorogumo) and was Kuyo's Dragon best known for scheming and manipulating for the enforcers. She fought with the other enforcers and tried to kill Tsukune during his rebellion but ultimately failed. Once the old Protection Committee disbanded she wasted no time in switching sides to not lose her position. It was only because Tobaki put in a good word for her that she stayed as a regular intelligence officer. However, she is by no means loyal to Tsukune and plots to return Kuyo to his post as captain.
- Ascended Extra: She was just an enforcer who worked for Kuyo in the manga and anime, and when she was defeated she was never heard from again. In this fic she's Kuyo's Dragon and plots the heroes' downfall from the inside.
- Breaking Speech: She gives one to Tsukune during their trip at Witch's Knoll giving a cynical view on the dark sides of humanity, witches and monsters.
- Commander Contrarian
- Dark Action Girl
- Deadpan Snarker
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: She shares a genuinely affectionate relationship with Tobaki. When Tobaki was placed under a curse and appeared to have melted/died she went into horrified hysterics and broke down sobbing.
- Evil Mentor: She's been teaching Tobaki about morality. Naturally, she hasn't been doing that good a job of it.
- HeelFace Mole
- Manipulative Bitch: Keito's claim to fame.
- Morality Pet: Tobaki is hers. Even though she plans to betray the New Protecion Committee, she tries to do it without the demon noticing so as not to disappoint her.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: As a spider monster, she speaks fluent spider. She and Ranma's spiders don't get along, though. She can't understand why they let a mere human command them and they wonder why Ranma hasn't yet killed her for her insolence.
- Social Darwinist: She's the one who taught Tobaki that anyone strong enough to boot the previous holders of authority out of their positions deserves to hold power.
- Token Evil Teammate: While on the New Protection Committee.
- Villain Protagonist: After transferring to the New Protection Committee.
Another holdover from the old Protection Committee, Tobaki is a yochlol striving to become a productive and responsible citizen of the human world. While that's more than most Youkai Academy students can say, she unfortunately has even less grasp on human morals than most other monsters. She's firmly recast her alignment to "Lawful," and takes rules and regulations very seriously, as they're the closest things she has to a moral compass for decision-making. As a result, she's become a very effective treasurer, although nobody can figure out why she acts so formal and professional whenever she puts on her fake glasses.
- Affably Evil: She doesn't hold grudges, and is content to just do her job. While she has no objection to killing, she's also entirely fine with not killing anyone if that's what her superior wants. She is fully loyal to the New Protection Committee despite previously being on the Old Protection Committee's side, and doesn't understand that Keito is plotting to betray them.
- Blob Monster: As a Yochlol.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: The closest thing she has to a moral compass are the rules and regulations, which she takes very seriously. She is not even aware that there is a right or wrong, let alone a difference. It comes from being a Yochlol who grew up in the Abyss, which Kouma describes as a pit of rage and malice made manifest (He's not wrong- the Abyss in the Great Wheel cosmology of Dungeons and Dragons is the Outer Plane exemplifying Chaotic Evil).
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She's a surprisingly effecient treasurer despite her faults.
- Comically Missing the Point: She happily fills out the required paperwork for her gruesome murder of a student, but it never crosses her mind that Tsukune doesn't want any murders at all until he explicitly forbids her from killing.
- Crossover: Yochlols are Lesser Tanar'ri and the handmaidens of Lolth, the spider goddess of the Drow from Dungeons & Dragons. Lolth herself, along with her home the Demonweb Pits, has been mentioned a couple times, but hasn't appeared.
- The Dreaded: Ranma is too terrified of her to want to fight her.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Played for Laughs. As someone from an Always Chaotic Evil species, Tobaki doesn't even comprehend that good exists, or that there are certain behaviors (murder, rape, et cetera) that people avoid doing on principle. The closest she gets to understanding Good is understanding Law, so she will murder students for annoying her, but also fill out all the required paperwork for doing so.
- The Glasses Come Off: Parodied. She switches from ditzy, perky schoolgirl to stern business woman when she puts her glasses on and back to schoolgirl when they're taken off. She doesn't even need glasses in the first place- she just has them because accountants are supposed to wear glasses.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: With the good angel being a mini-Tsukune and the bad angel being a mini-Keito.
- Morality Pet: To Keito.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: A variant. She's dead set on doing her job as the Protection Committee Treasurer, and will do so regardless of who's in charge. However, she will follow the whoever's the current Captain cheerfully and without complaint, whatever alignment they might be. Which is a good thing when Tsukune's in charge, as he leans far more to the 'right' side.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Yochlols are Tanar'ri, which in D&D terms means Always Chaotic Evil (literally- they are Outsider embodiments of the Chaotic Evil alignment). While Tobaki is a little fuzzy on the good-and-evil divide, she strives very hard to be of a Lawful alignment.
- Obliviously Evil: She doesn't really understand that there is such a thing as evil- the closest definition she can get to good and evil is obeying and disobeying rules.
- Original Character
- Our Demons Are Different: She's a Yochlol, a type of Tanar'ri that serve Lolth. Which explains the close association with Keito- spiders are Lolth's sacred animals.
- Perky Female Minion: She was this for the enforcers.
- Spanner in the Works: Oyakata's curse accidentally hits her instead of anyone who would actually be vulnerable to it.
The leader of the Protection Committee, and a four-tailed yoko. Under his leadership, the Protection Committee became known for two things: One, declaring that any human on campus would be killed, and two, being absolutely and utterly useless.
- Anti-Climax Boss: Makes a mistake in his first move against Ranma (a spiral of heat works great in triggering the Hiryu Shoten Ha) and gets blown out of the fight. Everyone's kinda dumbfounded that that's it.
- Book Dumb: He has to use a dictionary to look up the words "investigate" and "integrity" plus doesn't know the meaning of "irony".
- Can cross into plain dumb territory when angered or humiliated. He has very little patience and has been shown to just plow into battle with his flames, so he really needs Keito or Jin to reign him in.
- It's also his decree that Protection Committee members need not attend classes, which is thought to be the root cause of the lack of critical thinking among the Protection Committee.
- Burning with Anger: When he gets mad he explodes, but unlike Kouma, his flames become erratic and uncontrolled when he enters this state.
- Butt-Monkey: Despite being a major arc villain in canon and the cause of Tsukune's ghoulification, he's definitely this. He doesn't even know the definition of 'investigation', Ranma kicks his ass easily, and the Student Council has ruled that after being defeated in one attack, he has lost his right to be taken seriously.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Was on the receiving of one. Ranma knocked him out with one hit using his Hiryu Shoten Ha after he used a spiral flame attack.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards humans.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: By attacking Ranma with a flame spiral, he sealed his own defeat.
- Kitsune: His true form is a four-tailed yoko.
- Knight Templar: He believes everything he does, even oppressing the entire school, is in the name of justice. It's funny in that he doesn't even know the definition of investigation or integrity.
- Light Is Not Good: Has platinum hair and uses white flames.
- Playing with Fire: As a kitsune, he has powerful fire abilities. Too bad he uses them in spirals, though.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red Oni to Keito and Jin's Blue Oni.
- Smug Snake: He didn't have any vice captain because he assumed that he was would never be defeated. And while he was powerful enough to back that up in the manga, Ranma's Hiryu Shoten Ha turned out to hard counter him.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He has the power, but not the emotional control or technique to go with it.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Aside from wholeheartedly believing that the Protection Committee is a just organization, he seems to think that he's in canon Rosario + Vampire, not Big Human On Campus's flavor of Rosario + Vampire + Rumiko Takahishi Slapstick.
A yeti member of the Protection Committee, Jin is very orderly and everything he does is planned out- including running away in terror.
- Affably Evil: He is strictly professional in everything he does, even decapitating a frozen girl.
- Badass Beard: In his human form.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: A yeti specifically.
- Carry a Big Stick: A magical one that saps heat from whatever it hits, at that.
- Crazy-Prepared: Parodied. He has a plan for everything. Fighting, retreating, gibbering in terror, and begging for mercy- he has it all plotted out, and will execute it according to plan.
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response: In fact, it's his mandated response to unexpectedly meeting Ranma while on a mission.
- An Ice Person: He's a Yeti, a sort of ice elemental.
- Kill It with Ice
- Know When to Fold 'Em: When he comes up against Ranma at Tsukune's dorm, he doesn't waste any time before running like hell along with his squad. He later comments that he, as a rule, doesn't fight people who have defeated people who have already defeated him.Jin: I'll have you know not one of my men suffered so much as a splinter during the operation!
- Original Character: The canon Protection Committee wasn't all that fleshed out, but no oddly-organized yeti ever made an appearance.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue Oni to Kuyo's Red Oni.
A three-headed hydra and the Student Council representative for the Protection Committee.
- Affably Evil: The happy head.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Volos implies this is the reason he joined the enforcers in the first place. Kuyo was one of the few people who treated him with respect.
- Comic Trio: All in one body; Angry head (the leader), Depressed head (the complainer) and Happy head (the idiot).
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Deadpan Snarker: The depressed head has recently adapted this trait along with his constant complaining.
- The Eeyore: The depressed head.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: The angry head.
- Multiple Head Case: Volos, being a hydra, has three heads, each with a different personality: Happy, Apathetic, and Angry.
- Original Character: The Protection Committee having a Student Council Representative was never explored in canon.
- The Pollyanna: The happy head.
- Sour Supporter: The depressed head, during the rare times he actually helps.
A gargoyle member of the protection committee. Really gets no respect, not that he deserves any.
- Arch-Enemy: Sees Ranma as his, though the martial artist sees him as just another enemy.
- The Chew Toy
- Evil Is Petty: His vendetta against Ranma began when the martial artist was framed for breaking his window.
- I Have Your Friends: Tried to have Tsukune, Moka, Kurumu and Yukari captured so he could attack Ranma with no worries by threatening their lives. Haruo and the Neverworld demons failed utterly thanks to Inner-Moka and Richard.
- Knight Templar: Standard for Old Protection Committee members.
- Original Character: He exists because canon didn't have enough mook Protection Committee members for Ranma to beat up, and Keito was already promoted to The Dragon.
- Our Gargoyles Rock: His true species.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: What he lacks in 'sympathetic' he makes up for in 'ineffectual'.
- Running Gag: Keito sealing his mouth shut with webbing.
- Ungrateful Bastard: It didn't take him long to threaten the lives of Ranma's friends after her saved the gargoyle from being eaten by the Boss Spider.
Netherworld Demons (Holy Dragon, Lantern, Zombie Dragon and Tree Golem)
A group of four monsters who serve as minions for the Protection Committee. As Netherworld demons, they are sent back to their own world upon death and just have to pay a toll to get back- which comes in handy with the amount of abuse they take over the course of the fic.
- Anti-Villain: The Holy Dragon is a Type IV.
- Butt-Monkey: All of them, but especially the Holy Dragon. He just wants to be Lawful Good, but he's stuck with the other Netherworld Demons doing the dirty work of the Protection Committee.
- Dem Bones: The Zombie Dragon.
- Dumbass Has a Point: The Wood Golem nixes Keito's plan to withhold knowledge of Tsukune's humanity in order to lure the New Protection Committee into complacency to kill him by pointing out that if Tsukune dies, Ranma becomes the new Captain.
- Fastball Special: "Ancient Netherworld strategic technique! Ally toss!"
- Goldfish Poop Gang: The lowliest members of the protection committee. They get beat up/killed a lot, but can always pay the toll to come back.
- Honor Before Reason: The Holy Dragon follows orders even when they're blatantly immoral and/or a Suicide Mission. The other Protection Committee members are his superiors, and he's lawful.
- Knife Nut: The Lantern.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: When Tsukune gives them the change to retreat and not face Ranma, they're out of there almost before he's finished talking. The Holy Dragon stays because of his Honor Before Reason.
- Mighty Glacier: The Tree Golem.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: The Holy Dragon is an honorable demon who actually follows the rules and does his job as an enforcer without threatening people and taking bribes. However he's still lawful and had to follow the orders of a superior even if he didn't like it, like trying to kidnap Tsukune, Moka, Kurumu and Yukari to lure Ranma into a trap under Haruo's orders and fighting against the heroes during Tsukune's rebellion.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!/Unwitting Instigator of Doom: The Wood Golem's 'Ally Toss' technique causes Tsukune to accidentally take off Moka's Rosario, which caused Inner Moka to manifest for the first time. Inner Moka immediately beat the crap out of the Netherworld Monsters before getting into a fight with Ranma.
- No Name Given: Lampshaded in one of the "Guess Ranma's Species" segments, where Ms. Nekonome can't believe that they still haven't gotten names yet, despite having more presence in the story than Kuyo, a major arc villain.
- Only Sane Man: The Holy Dragon. Lampshaded by Tsukune when he tries to trick the others by bluffing that he's immune to knives because of his monster power, and hopes they might fall for it because the Holy Dragon had been killed by Richard just before.
- Original Character: There is no 'netherworld' in canon, nor any monsters from it in school.
- Plant Person: The Tree Golem.
- Punch-Clock Villain: They're really only in the committee for the benefits (or the chance to uphold the Protection Committee's supposed ideals, in the case of the Holy Dragon), and none of them really have anything against Ranma and company.
- To Be Lawful or Good: The Holy Dragon is both of these but he's shown to be slightly more lawful.
- Token Good Teammate: The Holy Dragon is defined by this.
A monstrel who's the first moron to attack Tsukune and get on the wrong side of Ranma.
- Hybrid Monster: He's surprised that Ranma can supposedly guess what he is, because monstrels are this.
- Jerk Jock: He's a big, tough dude and a complete thug.
- Overly Long Tongue
- Starter Villain: He attacks Moka, Ranma and Tsukune shortly after they've met for the first time, and doesn't last much longer than that.
The Lord of Phoenix Mountain from Ranma ½, Ranma's fight with him prompted Youkai Academy to send them both invitations to enroll. Ranma accepted and enrolled without much fuss after learning that Genma never graduated from high school, but Saffron refused- and got stuck with a Power Limiter for his troubles. He enrolled in Youkai Academy under the promise of having the limiter removed.
- Anti-Villain: Type II. The only evil thing he's done while at Youkai Academy was kill a multitude of students who've killed him over and over again, sometimes just because they could.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Debatable at this time.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Tsukune is perhaps the only student he respects because he actually showed Saffron a bit of kindness.
- Born-Again Immortality: In this fic, instead of turning into a baby after being killed, he returns to being a preteen. This is because of the seal on his back, placed there by one of the Hell Kings.
- The Chew Toy: He dies a lot.
- Healing Factor: Even in child form, if he isn't killed outright, he can heal wounds (such as broken bones) in seconds.
- One-Winged Angel: Was able to access his adult form after Richard undid his seal, turning from a weak child to the powerful phoenix Ranma barely defeated once.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Preteen Saffron is pretty harmless, but the unsealed adult Saffron is among the most powerful entities in the fic.
- The Phoenix: What he is.
- Playing with Fire: Standard Phoenix power.
- Spoiled Brat
- They Killed Kenny: Whenever he appears you can be sure he dies one way or another.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Went on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge against all of the students who've killed him. This comes back to bite him when the friends and loved ones of the deceased get revenge on him.
The mysterious person who drives the bus that takes students to Yokai Academy... and does a lot of other stuff on his off days.
- Almighty Janitor
- Badass Driver: He can drive that bus between parallel worlds.
- Black Comedy: Been known to indulge in this.
- Cool Car: His bus can travel anywhere in the human and monster worlds; and probably other places as well.
- Creepy Good: He's an oddball, but he is for the most part on the protagonists' side.
- Creepy Monotone
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": His real name hasn't been mentioned. It doesn't help that he's not just a bus driver.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Hurricane of Puns: Uses it in pratically every sentence he speaks, always death and injury related.
- Smoking Is Cool: Usually seen smoking a pipe.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Likes to appear at random either to help or annoy the heroes.
Ranma and Tsukune's homeroom teacher. She's a cat monster, much to Ranma's dismay. Has a lot less screentime than in canon, since Tsukune and company join the Exploration Club instead of the Newspaper Club.
- Cat Girl: This is the primary reason she's Demoted to Extra, as Ranma avoids anything feline on general principle.
- Demoted to Extra: Played With. She doesn't appear as much during the main storyline but she's still in every chapter during omakes. She even lampshades how she and the newspaper club don't get as much screen time as they did in the manga.
- Eyes Always Shut: Unless she gets agitated.
- Hot Teacher
- Ms Exposition: Nekonome-sensei provides the monster data.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: One of the few teachers who is not deranged and homicidal and actually helps her students to succeed at Youkai.
- Stern Teacher: Much more serious about education than her canon counterpart.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: A lot more likely to insult and demean others with a bright smile on her face during the omake sections.
A perky and very destructive warlock who revels in villainy and killing his students.
- Affably Evil/ Faux Affably Evil: It's hard to tell which, he kills swarths of students without a shred of remorse but is rather polite and cheerful to everyone, even his victims.
- An Ice Person: One of his many powers.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Back from the Dead
- Badass Long Robe: Wears one for the most part.
- Black Cloak
- Card-Carrying Villain: He knows he's evil and likes it. He also enjoys Ranma playing the hero so he could have someone to fight with.
- Cool Mask
- Evil Sorceror: And don't you forget it!
- FaceHeel Turn: If this is the same Richard from Looking for Group, something must have happened to make him a full-fledged villain again.
- Facial Markings: Described as useless.
- Fireballs: Loves utilizing these.
- For the Evulz/ For the Lulz: Everything he does is either of these.
- Friendly Enemy: Towards Ranma, who more or less became his favorite student for not bowing to his will and putting up a good fight.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath
- Immortal Immaturity: He's a lich who acts like a complete Cloud Cuckoo Lander.
- In the Hood
- Iron Butt Monkey: He takes a lot more abuse in this fic but since he's undead, not even decapitation or being thrown into a furnace hurts him.
- Kill It with Fire/ Kill It with Ice: And it's not just with those two either, he'll use electricity, poison and even darkness to kill something.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: He's quite strong, even without his spells.
- Laughably Evil: The main reason the headmaster keeps him and the bus driver around is their sense of humor.
- Large Ham
- Lean and Mean
- Malevolent Masked Man
- Mundane Utility: At one point he summons a Vorpal Golf Club, for the +5 to hit.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: He's a perky instigator of many of Youkai Academy's horrors.
- Playing with Fire
- Psychopathic Manchild: See Cloud Cuckoolander, Immortal Immaturity, and Laughably Evil.
- Sadist Teacher: His teaching style mostly involves attacking his students with whatever elements he's talking about.
- Shock and Awe
- Story-Breaker Power: He has yet to go all out against anyone but keeps Ranma around because he's so much fun.
- The Undead
Yes, that Jadeite. All his defeats at the hands of the Sailor Scouts have left him with serious psychological issues related to devil hunters in general and magical girls in particular.
- Axe-Crazy: He's not the most stable of individuals.
- Berserk Button: Thinking about Sailor Moon and magical girls in general makes him go feral.
- Card-Carrying Villain
- Drowning My Sorrows/ I Need a Freaking Drink: Got completely wasted because Richard didn't kill the Sailor Senshi when they were in the human world.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards humans and magical girls. He doesn't think too highly of witches either.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Things have really gone downhill for him after he was releashed from his crystaline prison.
- Jerkass: He's a complete grouch as well as a villain, and does not hesitate to insult people.
- Large Ham: Really hams it up when talking about devil hunters, especially magical girls.
- Sadist Teacher: Not as over-the-top as Richard, but still definitely this.
- The Stoic: Tries to be this, but show him any hint of magical girls he'll show he's Not So Stoic.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: All that time encased in crystal has not been good for his psyche.
- Smug Snake: Not half as dangerous and smart as he thinks he is.
Youkai Academy's completely normal Government Studies teacher, peculiarities about her appearance aside.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: The Dark Liege has a very peculiar way of teaching, mostly involving giving the students a nice view of her breasts and hips, but other than that she teaches an ordinary subject (Government studies) in an ordinary way.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She may act like a ditzy teacher but the Dark Liege's power, at the very least, rivals that of an adult Saffron.
- The Ditz
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Despite being one of the most obviously demonic teachers, she is actually a very capable teacher.
- Soul Jar: She has five soul shards which house her soul and if they are destroyed the Liege will die. Too bad she stored all of them in the same desk. Even Ishigami lampshades how stupid that was after they were stolen by Ranma.
- The Tease: She likes to do this with her male students.
- Third Eye: This along with her horns, makes it clear that she is not human.
The well-meaning Mad Doctor of a nurse at Youkai Academy.
- Artificial Human: She along with her assistants are this. This seperates them from regular monsters, since reanimated bodies can't transform.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She really is an excellent nurse.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Just as strange as she is in her own manga.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Surprisingly, Fran actually gives Ranma sound advice about acting human.
- Covered with Scars
- Frankenstein's Monster: The screws in her head really tip you off.
- Glasgow Grin
- Mad Doctor: She once gave Kurumu a new tail with sharp teeth that injects venom when it feels threatened. The succubus had to get her to replace it with a regular devil's spade.
- Multi-Armed Multitasking: Uses these extra arms when performing surgery and/or dealing with multiple patients.
- School Nurse: Her position. She gets a lot of work patching up Ranma's friends and victims alike.
- Token Good Teammate: She's one of the most honestly benevolent staff members at Youkai, quirkiness aside.
The half-werewolf leader of the Fight Club.
- Action Girl: Well, as the leader of the Fight Club, she has to be.
- Badass Adorable: She's cute alright, Kouma actually has a crush on her.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Blood Knight: This is practically a requirement to be in the Fight Club which she is the president of.
- Cute Bruiser
- Cute Little Fangs
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: She treats her members like dogs, and like dogs they respond, but they still respect and admire her.
- Fantastic Racism: Still doesn't like vampires and congradulated Ranma for nearly beating Inner-Moka.
- Fiery Redhead
- Friendly Enemy: After the Old Protection Committee disbanded, the Fight Club is on much better terms with New Protection Committee even if they are still enemies. She even likes and respects Ranma and Tsukune, parting on good terms with the former and calling the latter a 'nice guy'.
- Half-Human Hybrid: This has not yet been touched on in the main story, but in the 'Meet the Teachers' omake Riza reveals that she is half werewolf.
- Oblivious to Love: Has no idea that Kouma likes her.
- Only in It for the Money: At first she took the job of being an assistant gym teacher at Youkai because her motorcycle keeps getting trashed while going on adventures with the Princess Resurrection crew and the repair bills are expensive. Since Hime doesn't really pay her servants or allies, Riza had to take the job. She really seems to have gotten into it now though.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
A medusa and art teacher, in canon her petrifying students made her a villain and eventually got her fired. But in Big Human On Campus's version of Youkai Academy, they call such antics "Tuesday".
- Demoted to Extra: She's appeared a couple times, but her canon actions are only referenced twice; inviting one's students to private tutoring sessions and then petrifying them isn't really any worse than all the other atrocities that happen daily at Youkai Academy, especially when Richard is involved. Tsukune and company just haven't had time to focus on her, and Chopper Rikishi was rather easily fooled as to what she was up to.
- Gorgeous Gorgon: She is one, but it hasn't come up yet since the main characters haven't really interacted with her.
- Karma Houdini: Played for Laughs. Sure, she's gotten away with petrifying her students, but mostly because that's actually pretty tame compared to what some of the other teachers do and don't even bother to hide.
- Taken for Granite: What she does to students, as a deranged form of sculpture.
Tenmei Mikogami (The Headmaster)
The mysterious and very dickish headmaster of Youkai Academy.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": No one has called him by name yet.
- For the Lulz: He enjoys giving people a hard time. This is also the reason he keeps Richard around.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Good Is Not Nice
- In the Hood
- Omniscient Morality License: While he does have good intentions and wants to make the school a better place, many of his decisions are questionable at best. He purposely had Tsukune's parents find the application to Youkai Academy, knowing that he was a human. This was an experiment, to have Tsukune bring a little humanity to the school and hopefully improve it. He admitted that if the experiment failed and Tsukune died, he probably start over and bring another human into the academy. He gets called out on this constantly and Ranma usually does something to physically harm him.
- Stealth Hi/Bye
- Took a Level in Jerkass: A departure from the benevolent headmaster from canon. He does want to improve the school but has less respect for people's lives; allowing the corrupt enforcers to run amuck, hiring psychotic teachers on a whim, and purposely endangering the lives of humans to improve the school. Richard is actually an old friend of his.
Youkai Academy has a giant spider infestation, which Ranma took advantage of by training some of the spiders as pets. They are named after Street Fighter characters. The most commonly seen one is Guile.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: They worship humans and see monsters as lesser beings. The ones we see are fanatically devoted towards Ranma, and consider the names he gives them to be a mark of honor. They admire creativity and the ability to build things, and are very harsh towards those they consider lesser (at one point, Guile wonders why Ranma and Tsukune allow Moka to live after feeding on Tsukune).
- Cuteness Proximity: It's a Running Gag that giant spiders are the equivalent of puppies to monster girls.
- A Day in the Limelight: One of the After School shorts is from Guile's point of view, and gives a lot of expansion of the society of Ranma's spiders.
- Fantastic Racism: Inverted from the normal monsters-on-humans racism. Spiders disdain monsters, seeing them as jealous pretenders who suffer Creative Sterility and thus can't measure up to humans. Spider monsters are demigods- closer to humans than regular spiders, but still nowhere near measuring up to them.
- Giant Spider: Actually, they're pretty small by the standards of Youkai Academy; they're only as big as teapots or small dogs.
- God-Emperor: Ranma.
- Humans Are Cthulhu: The spiders worship Ranma, and to a lesser extent Tsukune, since they see humans as gods.
- Humans Are Ugly: They may admire humanity's ability to build civilizations, but they think that their forms are hideous.
- The Nose Knows: Their sense of smell can tell them whether a person is human or a monster in human form.
- Undying Loyalty: To Ranma.
Apprentice witch to Oyakata, Ruby has absorbed Oyakata's fanatical anti-human beliefs, but she isn't entirely unreasonable.
- Action Girl
- Anti-Villain: A Type II after her parents were killed, she was taken in by Oyakata who taught her the evils of humanity. It doesn't help that in this story, they were murdered instead of dying in an accident.
- Broken Bird: Her parents were murdered by George Byron.
- Comic Trio: Not a very humorous example, but she's The Fool, although it's less because she's stupid and more because she's been indoctrinated by Oyakata.
- Cuteness Proximity: Towards Guile the giant spider.
- Dark Magical Girl
- Defector from Decadence: This was much easier to do since she's a lot less Axe-Crazy than in the manga.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards humans before meeting Tsukune.
- Friendless Background
- HeelFace Turn: Tsukune eventually manages to get through to her.
- Hot Witch: A very cute teenaged witch.
- Winged Humanoid: Can spout six black-feathered wings.
OyakataAn old hag of a witch who lives on Witch's Knoll. She is behind the carnivorous plants on the knoll and plans to wipe out the humans in the nearby city for attempting to turn Witch's Knoll into a garbage dump.
- Comic Trio: It's not played for humor, but she takes the role of The Leader, as the driving force behind the plot to destroy the city.
- Didn't Think This Through: She wants to kill all the humans around Witch's Knoll... and then what? Lampshaded by the Shadow Cat and later Tsukune.Shadow Cat: "Yup, so that's the plan. Exterminate all the humans in a ten kilometer radius and desperately hope that the dominant species has absolutely no means of reprisal."Tsukune: Okay, fine. Let's say you do [overcome the humans]. And Then What? When the humans' introduction to witches is being driven out of their cities and killed by the thousands, do you think they're not going to try and fight back? Can your army beat a human army, with guns and planes and tanks?"
- Disproportionate Retribution: All the humans did to her was attempt to turn what was to their knowledge an uninhabited knoll into a garbage dump. Oyakata wants to kill thousands of human in revenge.
- Evil Old Folks: Very old and one of the most evil characters in the story.
- Fantastic Racism: Completely hates humans, to the point of attempting to kill a city just because they were going to turn her knoll into a garbage dump. She won't negotiate with Tsukune, and reneges on her promise to free Kouma because she doesn't see the need to keep a bargain to a lowly human.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Fervently believes this, though the story loves proving her wrong (or at least establishing that monsters are no better).
- Hypocrite: How hypocritical is Oyakata? Let us count the ways:
- Despite her hatred of humans for spoiling the environment, she introduced the garigari plants, an invasive species, to Witch's Knoll, and planted the Hanabake, plant-creatures that suck an incredible amount of nutrition from the soil. Frankly, because of her efforts, Witch's Knoll probably couldn't be used as much more than a garbage dump even if she did win.
- Believes that Humans Are the Real Monsters, despite planning to do something far worse than what the humans did to her.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: She's not a hero in any way, but what she's doing to Witch's Knoll to save it from humans is ruining it more thoroughly than they ever did.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Throughout Chapter 16, pretty much every character other than Ruby takes turns totally dismantling her anti-human rhetoric.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gets one from Yukari.Yukari: "I SAID SHUT UP! This isn't about humans and witches anymore! You passed that threshold AGES ago! You are an OBJECTIVELY, INDEPENDENTLY, HORRIBLE PERSON! Nothing can excuse this behavior! It doesn't matter what the humans are plotting to do or what you're trying to accomplish! The ends can no longer justify the means! First assault, then curses, apparently some murder and maybe torture on the side, all for the sake of genocide, and now you've lied to us in order to indulge in slavery too? You don't even have the decency to completely dominate Kouma so that he isn't acutely aware the whole time he's fighting and killing his allies! What you're doing is completely, indisputably AWFUL, and I'm ashamed to even be the same species as you! You give all witches a bad name!"
- The Right of a Superior Species: Why does she get to introduce invasive and incredibly damaging species to Witch's Knoll while hating humans for not taking care of the environment? She's a witch, and so she's better than them.
The Shadow CatA magical cat bound to the Book of Fur and Talon by Oyakata.
- Butt-Monkey: Bad things tend to happen to him.
- Cats Are Snarkers: Has no problem sarcastically pointing out the problems with Oyakata's plan.Shadow Cat: "There was a little intelligence gap that compromised my mission. Specifically, the gap between the front of your skull and the rear of it."
- Cats Have Nine Lives: He does, although he loses several over the course of the story.
- Comic Trio: He's the Only Sane Man- quite aware of how stupid Oyakata's plan is, but can't go against it because he's bound to the Book of Fur and Talon.
- Familiar: Temporarily one for Ruby, against his will.
- Fantastic Racism: Towards witches for Oyakata binding him to her service.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He's sour and quite unabashedly racist against witches, but he's the first to start poking holes in Oyakata's rhetoric and plan, and he really does make very good points.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Dies several times over the course of the story, because he has nine lives.
- Only Sane Man: For Oyakata's group. He's constantly pointing out the flaws in Oyakata's planning and rhetoric.
- Sour Supporter: He has to follow Oyakata, as he's bound to the Book of Fur and Talon, but that doesn't mean he has to be upbeat about it. He spends most of his time insulting witches in general and Oyakata in particular.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Once he's released from the Book of Fur and Talon.
- You Didn't Ask: Why he doesn't warn Ruby that Kouma is sneaking up on her.