Super High-School Level Orchestral Musician
She has a passion for music that stems further than simply playing it; she is also able to transpose music in her head to any instrument she knows, and if she hears a song she is able to write out a score for the song from the top of her head, if given time with an instrument to decipher it by ear. She finds something wonderful in every song she hears, be it classical music, pop, she is even able to bring something artistic out of dubstep, despite it being completely different than what she is used to. If she is bored, she will compose songs in her head or silently conduct a song she has memorized. Admits to killing Hajiro in the fifth chapter in self defense.
- Death Wail: Upon finding Teddi's corpse.
- Despair Event Horizon: Seems to have entered one as a result of the Mutual Killing game, as evidenced by her lack of emotion, and blank stare.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: In reaction to the mutual killing.
- Fainting: Upon discovering Shiori's corpse.
- Fanservice: Strips during the third trial to prove her innocence.
- Songs of Solace: In response to upsetting things, Eve goes to play clarinet in the lecture hall.
- Stutter Stop: Eve stops stuttering every other word after Teddi dies. This is most likely due to the emotional trauma that came along with losing a good friend.
- Sympathetic Murderer: She kills Hajiro in self defense and on accident. But not just that, she states this at the near beginning of the trial before any suspicion can be cast on anyone else.
- Useless Protagonist: How she views herself, anyway.
- What Is This Feeling?: Eve feels a surge of anger for possibly the first time after Teddi's death.
- When She Smiles: After all Eve's been through in the first two chapters, it's such a breath of fresh air to see her genuinely smiling when Asa asks her to teach them how to play instruments.
Super High-School Level Hypnotist
Coming from a large family including three younger sisters and overly busy parents, Shiori has always been the caretaker of her siblings and has always strived to keep them entertained. One such method was ordering a hypnotism kit from a local toy store. Although it was first used as a "look what I can do" sort of joke, Shiori became fascinated with the concept and began studying it, eventually wanting to become a hypnotherapist. The first victim of the mutual killing. Killed by asphyxiation.
- Asexuality: But not aromantic.
- Crush Blush: Appears to have had one while dancing with Ema.
- Despair Event Horizon: Appears to enter one from a combination of insomnia, the events of the mutual killing game, and the first motive. This is considered very odd in that the day before entering this state, she took a stand against Monokuma and attempted to rally the students to escape.
- Empty Eyes: Word of God states the reason for this is that she performs self hypnosis on herself. However, it could be a duel case of Dull Eyes of Unhappiness for a photo of Shiori pre-Hope's peak mentions she actually looks happy.
- First-Name Basis: With Chouko, but only because it'd be weird to call her Kimura-san since that's also her name.
- Mind Screwdriver: Unlike the other students, we are able to see Shiori's motive. "Wanna know the dirt I have on you? If someone does not die, I'll tell everyone: That you deceived your subjects on stage to induce them into hypnosis incorrectly. How shameful!"
- Motherly Side Plait: Derived from taking care of her sisters.
- Mythology Gag: To Super Dangan Ronpa 2. Shiori was killed during a party, mirroring Togami's death in the game.
- Nice Girl: As far as how she treats people. However, during her response to the despair, her inner monologue names everyone around her an idiot.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has natural teal hair.
- You Wouldn't Hit a Guy with Glasses?: One of the main reasons she doesn't hang out with Hiruko is because she's afraid she'll break her glasses.
Super High-School Level Costume Designer
Not exactly what one would call a bright or outgoing child, Nana began her foray into the world of fabric by receiving a child's sewing kit for her sixth birthday and sewing tiny outfits for her small collection of dolls. Her grandmother, also her most supportive sewing teacher, noticed how quickly the finished products evolved from wrapping swatch of blue fabric around doll torso to something you might see on a runway, if the models were 20 centimeters tall, as well as how shy Nana was becoming. She started showing off her granddaughter's skills to an increasingly large and admiring circle of neighbors and friends, and as local word spread around, twelve-year-old Nana was recruited to design and create costumes for a small film being shot by a group of students. When that movie became an unexpected cult hit, thanks in no small part to the excellent period costume design, her talents became known to a wider and wider audience of directors and producers. Donning a mask and some other rather unusual accessories from her next big hit, a superhero movie, she was designing and creating costumes for big-budget films and theatre productions by the time she finished her first year of high school. The victim of chapter six. Killed by exsanguination. It turns out, however, her death was a suicide.
- Last Request: Hers was for Yukito to find her grandmother.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: It's her SHSL talent.
Super High-School Level Astrologist
Son of a well-known lawyer and detective, an astrologist was the last thing his parents though he would be. Starting at a young age, he has always admired fortune tellers. On his 13th birthday, he was given a pack of tarot cards and soon enough, after studying it for a couple of months, mastered it. After submitting a set of daily horoscopes to the news and making fortunes for his schools annual Chinese New Year Celebration, with almost all his fortunes coming true, he gained a reputation. He even made a "non-believer" believe in fortunes after, indirectly, giving him 1000000 yen in a lottery. His name is known worldwide, now with more foreign tourists coming to Japan just to get one fortune from him. Killed during chapter five by brain damage.
- Blue with Shock: After the mutual killing game began.
- Child Prodigy: Technically teen prodigy since he got his start at thirteen.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Killed by brain damage.
- Madness Mantra: "Whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy!?"
- Wingding Eyes: His being hearts.
Super High-School Level Bouncer
Admits to being responsible for Hiruko's death, even though it was an accident. Due to a double tie between him and Kimi, he is not executed, but Yukito is randomly selected to be crippled. He takes Yukito's place and is crippled instead.
- An Arm and a Leg: After taking Yukito's place and being crippled, his legs are broken. Kimi, Hasumi and Moko decide to amputate them.
- Career-Ending Injury: By the end of the second trial.
- Cigarette of Anxiety: Upon finding Shiori's corpse.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Averted as he was actually crippled, but it wasn't a pretty sight. The walls in a hallway he was in moved in on him until his leg bones were crushed.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Apparently it's dyed.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Abasi, presumably. It seems to be confirmed by Abasi but whether Gorōshirō reciprocates it or not has yet to be seen.
- The Name Is Bond, James Bond: "The name's Mina. Gorōshirō Mina."
- Sacrificial Lamb: In a certain sense. Although he did kill Hiruko and was punished by being crippled, it was an accident and he regrets what he did.
- Smoking Is Cool: One of his sprites depicts this.
- Sympathetic Murderer: He confesses to accidentally killing Hiruko during the second chapter.
- Take Me Instead: Lets himself be crippled to save Yukito during the second chapter.
- Tears of Remorse: Upon confessing to Hiruko's murder.
Sekitan "Seki"/ Daisuke Maiko
Super High-School Level Hallway Butler
Sekitan is older than most high schoolers, starting his freshman year at the old age of 18. This is due to many things that has transpired in Seki's life. The young man spent the last few years of his adolescence living and attending an old, broken and run down public school. However, in order to live and attend the school, Seki was forced to accept a specific condition. That condition is to work as the school's lone janitor.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Since Seki is such a seemingly nice guy and jokester, no one expects him to light his arm on fire and enjoy it.
- Break the Cutie: Although this ties into his Beware the Silly Ones, Seki had a breaking point in the second trial when he realized having a happy-go-lucky personality would not amount to anything.
- Evil Laugh: Several times in the second trial.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: "Flanger danger" to name one.
- Pyromaniac: As observed by Asa, apparently Seki worships fire.
- Madness Mantra: "The Saviors missing, The Saviors missing, The Saviors missingTheSaviors missingThe SaviorsmissingTheSaviorsmissingTHeSAViorsMissingTHESAVIORSMISSING!!!!!"
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Refers to his friends as the Four and Moko.
- The Nicknamer: An example would be how he calls Asa Grim.
- No-Sell: After receiving his first motive, Seki actually feels like laughing. Of coarse he doesn't, but overall, he's impressed that the bear knows so much about him.
- Parental Substitute: Seki mentions in chapter five that the person he refers to as Pops is not actually his father. It's unknown what their relationship is at this point.
- Rule of Empathy: Seki frequently mentions empathy, especially during the first trial.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a scar over his right eye.
- Also has several burn scars under his bandages.
- Self-Harm: Bites himself to the point of drawing blood in the second trial.
- Shutting Up Now: As requested by Abasi during the first trial. He listens for the most part.
- Slasher Smile: When Asa finds Seki on fire.
Super High-School Level Marionette Maker
A bubbly girl with a very apparent skill in wood carving; using it for carving her popular Marionettes. She's eager to meet people and make friends, and shows a real passion for her Marionettes. Her models have show incredible fame in circles; her most famous was a model called "Anita"; a 3 foot tall Marionette with bright blond hair and a pink Lolita theme.
- Anime Hair: Somewhat subverted; she spends ages working on it each morning, it's not like that without her work.
- Blue with Shock: Over the first motive.
- Cloudcuckoolander Her narration shows a very mixed up thought pattern sometimes, and her speech can be more than a little confusing at first glance.
- Creepy Doll: In Iwasaki's eyes, anyway.
- Fashion Dissonance: Subverted by her explanation; "I'm a butterfly! I have to dress like one!"
- Gentle Giant: Stands at 5'10, a very tall height for a female in Japan.
- Marionette Master: Being a Marionette maker she has far too many Marionettes for her own good, she often sells them [How she got noticed]
- Meaningful Name: "Chouko" is Japanese for "butterfly child", tying in to how she claims to be a butterfly.
Super High-School Level Sprinter
She started swimming at an early age to treat her asthma, came to enjoy most sports and eventually specialized on sprinting. By the time she was thirteen she had already won a few regional and national competitions for her school. Her left leg was injured at train wreck when she was fourteen and as result she had to stop running for a year. Many believed her career to be over, but she went on to win golden medals at the 100 and 200 meter sprints at the World School Games in Spain and the Summer Olympic Games of Youth in Brazil and break the 100 meters speed record for female junior runners. Shell be competing for Japan in the 100 and 200 meters races in the upcoming Olympic Games. Knocks down a wall in chapter five and is punished by having her legs burned off.
- An Arm and a Leg: Her legs are burned off in the fifth chapter.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Appears to have suffered one pre-despair. The details are unknown but she attributes Ema's screams as she dies to a currently unknown party.
- Nice Girl: She comforts Eve after she gets upset over the first motive.
- However, Beware the Nice Ones could be applied since she got into a fight with Hiruko when the latter kicked her as well. Technically Sumi lost as she was close to having an asthma attack at the end but Hiruko suddenly stopped, going to talk to Keiko instead, meaning that Sumi technically won by default.
- Sacrificial Lamb: While she did not die, she did get brutally injured.
- Technicolor Eyes: Hers being orange.
- Tender Tears: During the first day of mutual killing.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Sumi is apparently very afraid of fire. This makes her injury in the fifth chapter even worse as the punishment involves having hot irons dropped on her, including a large trophy shaped one on her legs, and then had her legs burned by a flamethrower.
Super High-School Level Waiter
The third victim of the mutual killing game. Killed by having his throat slit.
- Anywhere but Their Lips: Kisses Petal on the cheek during chapter three.
- Fanservice: During the second chapter, he answers his door in only his boxers.
- He's later stripped post-mortem.
- Official Couple: With Petal. At least until dies in the third chapter.
- Oh, Crap!: During the introduction when he sees that he's to attend classes with a marionette maker, he has a loud "Seriously?!" to contribute.
- Speech Impediment: Stutters when around puppets.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Iwasaki is deathly afraid of puppets.
Super High-School Level Riot Guard
- Ambiguous Gender: Genderqueer, as confirmed by their player.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: When Morita finally awakens from their coma into the mutual killing game, they instantly rush into the hall to try and find out what's happening. It's made awkward by the fact that they're in their underwear.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: In their backstory, their mother wanted to pass on sewing, while their father had rigid and strict gender roles and wanted to pass on riot guard training. The father won custody of Morita after their parents' divorce and sent Morita to riot guard academy. Morita is now confused as to what they want to do with their life; on the one hand, they're much better at being a riot guard than they are at sewing (hence their SHSL talent of "Riot Guard"), but on the other hand, this was the result of an overbearing father and they actually enjoyed their mother's sewing lessons.
- Deus Exit Machina: Morita doesn't appear until chapter two because of complications in the real world. They were unconscious during the first chapter and prologue..
- Follow in My Footsteps: Both of Morita's parents wanted them to do so, which left Morita questioning their role in life.
- Plot Armor: Since Morita wasn't conscious until chapter two, they naturally can't be the murderer of that chapter.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Their backstory claims their mother taught them to sew in hopes they would become a seamstress. However, Morita actually struggled with with their mother's sewing lessons, and was much better at their riot guard training, which has left them even more confused about what they want to do with their life.
Super High-School Level Freak
Itami was born nerve dead and with mental problems. He was emotionless and unable to feel pain, making him the target of bullies growing up, which got worse as he would never show any pain. His own parents disliked Itami and when he was ten, they abandoned him at a circus. Itami was found by the circus and ended up being raised by the circus's Bearded Lady.Itami ended up becoming an act in the circus at age 13, performing dangerous tasks that would often injured him. It was his lack of emotion to and reactions to injury that made him widely popular and soon recognized by Hope's Peak at the age of 17. Before he headed to the school, an accident claimed his right eye. Broke a wall and was punished by Monobear. He was intended to be crippled but was executed by accident.
- The Alcoholic: Possibly. As shown when he begins to drink wine after Monobear appears.
- Berserk Button: Upon finding a picture Hasumi got from the Monomachine. It can be assumed that it is of him and his parents.
- Birds of a Feather: With Kimi and Hasumi. It should be noted they all met in a Cadaver Lab.
- Blinding Bangs: His beta sprite features this.
- Evil Laugh: Upon finding Shiori's corpse.
- Feel No Pain: His SHSL talent.
- The Klutz: During the prologue, he burned his hand on a grill and broke his foot by dropping a mallet on it. Of coarse, due to his inability to feel pain, he doesn't even care about it, and even proceeds to eat a hamburger after burning his hand.
- Loyal Animal Companion: A rat named Futeki.
- Meaningful Name: "Itami" is Japanese for pain and Kanjou means "feeling" or "emotion".
- The Nicknamer: Refers to Hasumi as Horror-kun.
- Not Afraid to Die: In fact, as he watches Ema being executed, he says aloud he hopes he goes out like that.
- Number of the Beast: Possibly. Whether it's an accident or not, Itami stands at 6'6".
- Scars Are Forever: As shown in a meme by his moderator, he has scars over his entire body, including his right eye.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Possibly, if his revealing of his true colors is to be taken into consideration.
Super High-School Level Car Mechanic
Petal Dyer was born in New York City, but can't remember much of it, as when she was 5 her father was offered a job in Japan with a luxury car mechanic business, so her family packed up and moved to Tokyo. Her father soon became famous enough to open up his own garage, and she apprenticed under him while going to high school until she was accepted into Hope's Peak. Killed in the fourth chapter by asphyxiation by drowning.
- Crush Blush: To Iwasaki, especially after Iwasaki answers the door in his boxers.
- Fainting: Upon finding Shiori's corpse.
- Foil: To Hiruko. Also shown to be a foil to Keiko in her reaction to Goro's confession to Hiruko's murder in the second trial as they both wanted justice for the murder. Keiko, while she can't bring herself to hate him, will never forgive him for killing Hiruko even though it was an accident. Petal does forgive him as it was an accident, this shows how much more Keiko knew and cared for Hiruko.
- Last Kiss: Kisses Iwasaki on the forehead after finding his corpse.
- Official Couple: With Iwasaki. But it's cut short when he is killed in the third chapter.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Abasi as he claims to have killed Teddi and Satoru.
- Speech Impediment: Had a debilitating stutter as a child. Although she's mostly overcome it through therapy, she does still stutter occasionally.
- Stutter Stop: In response to Abasi claiming to have killed Teddi and Satoru.
- Tender Tears: In response to finding Iwasaki, her boyfriend's, corpse.
Moko/ Brittany Smith
Super High-School Level Translator
Moko came from a rich family in America. She moved to Japan in 7th grade after intensively learning Japanese. Moko began translating English webcomics and video games into Japanese upon her few friends' requests. This made her realize how much she enjoyed translating, so she launched her own website translating things from English to Japanese and vice versa. Later, she took up French, Spanish, and Latin as well. As her website gained popularity, Moko began receiving offers for professional translation jobs of videos games like Half-Life 3 and the Infamous series, among other things. Now, she has dabbled in the translation of everything from cartoons to instruction manuals.
- Ascended Fangirl: She got her start translating webcomics.
- Cry into Chest: With Seki during the prologue when she's accused of stealing the student files.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her first action in the game is to accidentally break the Gaccha Machine.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Moko has a hard time focusing on carrying Hasumi to the first aid room due to Kimi removing her shirt to use as a temporary bandage for Hasumi's head wound.
- Due to the Dead: She corrects Chouko after she mistakenly misnames Shiori, asking her to respect the dead.
- Dumb Blonde: Monobear uses this word for word to describe Moko.
- Fanservice: She also strips entirely during the second trial to prove her innocence.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Arguable, since she mostly cooks burgers.
- First-Name Basis: With Abasi.
- Friendless Background: Prior to entering Hope's Peak, Moko was ostracized by her peers for currently unexplained reasons.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: "Grapepiss!"
- Gratuitous French: Upon finding out Abasi wants her to teach him French.
- Official Couple: May be about to enter one with Kimi. It's revealed that they have kissed, but they haven't established their status yet.
- Omniglot: It's her SHSL talent
- Only One Name: She's referred to as just "Moko" — no last name has been given as of yet.
- Parental Substitute: Because her parents were so busy, she was mostly raised by her Nana.
- Pink Is Feminine: Her entire room is pink.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Her entire closet is filled with fancy pink dresses
- Shout-Out: To Riko Mieko from Doubt Academy Omega — she mentions Riko and her Do-It Yourself videos in a thread with Nana and Yukito.
- Take Me Instead: Votes for herself during the second trial in an attempt to save Goro.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Burgers.
Super High-School Level Traceur
When you think of someone who does parkour, "Babyface" isn't typically the first name that comes to mind. Known on the Internet as such for her petite frame and impressive jumps, climbs, and other such feats, Kaede Igarashi is a master of movement in the making. A spacey girl of actions rather than words, she grew up in a large, rough city. Taking up parkour, occasionally venturing outside of her hometown into the bigger cities of Japan, spectators filming such stunts have eventually brought her all the way to Hope's Peak.
- Alcoholic Parent: Her mother.
- Bandaged Babe: Reveals this when she takes off her hoodie after Itami spilled wine on her.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: When Hiruko starts picking on Eve, Kaede angrily tells her off for it. It results in Hiruko decking her right in the face.
- Blue with Shock:
- When she sees Itami with wine.
- And again in reaction to the first motive.
- Broken Tears:
- When Yukito is chosen to be crippled.
- Again after the second trial, when she finally confesses to Yukito that she's scared.
- Cloudcuckoolander: If her spacing out at her introduction didn't convince you, she front flips into the pool during the prologue... with her regular clothes on.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Maybe. It's uncertain if she has one, or what exactly happened if so, but it's implied that she's had it rough.
- Disappeared Dad: Mentions offhandedly that her dad left.
- First-Name Basis: With Chouko and Shiori, if only because of their similar surnames. Later becomes this with Yukito as well.
- Friendless Background: Averted... Sort of; Kaede mentions during the second trial that of her two items taken, two cat phone charms, one was from an old friend of hers from school. However, she says they aren't friends anymore. Why this is so has yet to be revealed.
- Hates Being Touched: Or, at least, on her shoulder. Why this is so is currently unknown.
- I Am Not Pretty: When her roommate Chouko says she's cute, Kaede dismisses it immediately.
- In-Series Nickname: On the Internet, she appears to be referred to as "Babyface." She doesn't see why, and isn't a big fan of it, either.
- Interrupted Declaration of Love: To Yukito. She's crying too hard for her to say it all the way, but he gets what she meant.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: If her sweatshirt is any indication.
- Le Parkour: Her SHSL Talent.
- Lethal Chef: She burns her first three attempts at making toast...somehow.
- Little "No": In response to Itami offering her wine.
- Love Triangle: Triang Relations type 10 with Kaede at A, Yukito at B, and Nana at C.
- Luminescent Blush: After Yukito revels he loves her. Right after she stops crying, off course.
- Official Couple: May be in one with Yukito.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping:
- Precision F-Strike: Her reaction to the mutual killing is as follows: "This is some shit."
- And again when Shiori's body is found.
- Rule of Pool: In an odd way. When Kaede goes to the swimming pool with Gorōshirō and Petal, she jumps in, fully clothed.
- Running Gag: Her inability to correctly name the mastermind vote. She calls it a "master sword vote", "master chief vote", "megamind vote" and a "master degree vote" before she gets it right.
- Safety in Indifference: Seems to believe quite strongly in this. However, she admits she isn't quite as good at acting upon said beliefs as she'd like to be.
- Shout-Out: To Legend of Zelda when she misnames the mastermind vote the "Master Sword vote".
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: As stoic and borderline detached as she is, Kaede is generally a genuinely nice person.
- Sweet Tooth: Her ID on the roster page lists that she takes a liking to most candy, and she has quite the fondness for ice cream.
- Through Her Stomach: Said word for word in a post during the prologue.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ice cream. Hell, when she and Keiko make toast in the kitchen, she puts ice cream on the toast.
- Wingding Eyes: Her eyes get little stars in them after she gets a cat phone charm from the Monomachine. It's as adorable as it sounds.
Super High-School Level Tactician
A perpetually cheery girl, seemingly unfazed by the time she spent at a small military school before arriving at Hope's Peak. Keiko took a different route from the usual soldier nonsense, however, and went for something more. After furiously studying military history and war, she went to her superiors with a brand-new idea. Herself as the tactician, who would direct the army through battles. She soon proved that this was an excellent move, the units under her command and tactics becoming the most organized and efficient fighting forced in the country. Keiko directed them around the battlefield, taking out enemies with a smile and mercilessly unstoppable moves. Her tactics were never-before-seen, built on her knowledge of past military successes and failures, able to adapt to any battle and effortlessly win. Soon her reputation grew as an incredible tactician whose troops had never lost a battle, and yet still she remained a strangely peppy character for someone directing troops into war. She knocks down a wall, breaking one of Monobear's rules and is punished by having her eyes slashed.
- Eye Scream: The way she is blinded is very graphic
- Face Your Fears: Literally, as her blinding is done by a giant cat, which she is very much afraid of.
- Foil: To Petal in her reaction to Goro's confession to Hiruko's murder in the second trial as they both wanted justice for the murder. Keiko, while she can't bring herself to hate him, will never forgive him for killing Hiruko even though it was an accident. Petal does forgive him as it was an accident, this shows how much more Keiko knew and cared for Hiruko.
- Madness Mantra: Wwhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: Her last words to Hiruko before she ended up dead was "I'll talk to you later." This weighs down on Keiko for she didn't even apologize for yelling at her.
- Nice Girl: During the first day of despair, she constantly reassures Eve she's not useless. It should also be noted that when she tells Hiruko to shut up, that's considered harsh for her.
- The Nicknamer: Refers to Hiruko as Metal-san and later a variety of characters by different names, probably because she forgot their names.
- No Sympathy: Even though Goro confesses to killing Hiruko and says it was an accident, Hiruko can't bring herself to forgive him, but also can't bring herself to hate him. She eventually ends up forgiving him, but only after he's been crippled.
- Not So Different: Compares the events of the mutual killing to war often during the first trial.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Seems to have this with Hiruko. Although Hiruko has revealed through her narrative that she has a crush on Keiko, Keiko's feelings are ambiguous besides the fact that she loves Hiruko, but whether this is romantic or not is not specified.
- A recent post by Keiko mentions Hiruko as her girlfriend, which is retracted when she realizes she never confessed her feelings for her.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Averted as she isn't killed, but she willingly destroys a wall and is blinded for her actions.
- Take Me Instead: During Trial 2. Since the class has no leads as to who killed Hiruko, she suggests voting for her so at least she'll be with Hiruko again.
- Tender Tears: When she finds Hiruko dead.
- Tragic Keepsake: Hiruko's jacket.
Super High-School Level Heavy Metal Singer
Born a little over two months premature in Tokyo, Japan Hiruko grew up always smaller than the other kids in her grade, always very scrawny and short. The fact that she wasn't really a boy wasn't really a secret at any point, as she was really naïve as a child and would often try to dress in traditionally feminine ways, though usually in rather creative ways since she didn't actually have any clothes that people considered "girl' clothes", only to be ridiculed for it by her peers. In middle school she started to transition, which only brought more harassment at school and eventually she had to be pulled from it. It was around this point that she started getting into the heavy metal scene online and after posting some covers online she became a huge star. She kept her past a secret for surprisingly long time but when you're famous you don't have too many secrets and soon the truth came out. For some people her gender has been considered a horrible thing and she would regularly have people try to attack her; she's really lucky she has such good security. About a year ago she did end up enrolling at a school again, though didn't really end up going there too often, just being given her work and doing it while traveling or avoiding the school. The second victim of the mutual killing game. Killed by blunt force hemorrhage.
- Ascended Fangirl: Hiruko started out as a fan doing covers online before starting to play original music and starting a career.
- Bare Your Midriff: She wears a cutoff shirt, her leather jacket is cutoff as well, doing nothing to help. She does this to put her stomach tattoos on display.
- Beneath the Mask: Word of God says that most of her meaner characteristics are simply to cover up feelings she doesn't like, usually negative ones that make her feel weak.
- Becoming the Mask: It's been shown though that she's been doing this for so long that she has trouble losing the mask when it's unnecessary or even causes problems, such as when she snapped at Keiko after the first motive or when she almost punched her during the first trial
- Berserk Button: She becomes very violent - even for herself - when called a bully.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Basically everything she says
- Crush Blush: Does this when Keiko gave her an invitation with a heart on it and complimented her.
- Curtains Match the Window: Though her eyes are much darker than her hair, being very nearly black.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was bullied very heavily in elementary school, so much so that her parents pulled her from school. She's also treated rather poorly by the media.
- Distracted by the Sexy: In Chapter 2, when Hiruko sees Keiko in cute clothes she had rather than her usual uniform and jacket, which were taken from her as part of that chapter's motive.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Though she's not evil, just really mean, she's actually really trustworthy, calling spilling another's secrets a "dick move" in the narration.
- Fan Disservice: After she's killed, Teddi removes her shirt for investigation purposes. This is fan disservice for not only is he super grossed out by it, but she has a giant bruise on her chest.
- First-Name Basis: With basically every, she refers to Iwahara by her surname after being asked to. Word of God says this is because she isn't very respectful and basically just doesn't give a shit.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Except Keiko, the only one she doesn't hate.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: All of her posts are titled with lyrics from songs she listens to, some examples being "Just take off that disguise" from Pretty On The Inside by Bullet For My Valentine, "There's no safety this time" from Captain Tyin' Knots VS Mr. Walkway (No Way!) by Sleeping With Sirens, and "Question everything" from Antivist by Bring Me The Horizon.
- Irrational Hatred: She tends to start hating people pretty quickly after meeting them.
- Jerkass: She's a pretty huge bitch, she doesn't even seem to have any cap to exactly how mean she can be, only in what way she's mean
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She can be if she tries, so far only with Keiko though.
- Kick the Dog: She spits at Eve and kicks her due to her crying when Monobear took over.
- And again when she gets in a fight with Sumi after Sumi stands up for Eve.
- Love Is a Weakness: Word of God says that Hiruko might have told Keiko how she felt earlier but the main point that she would've Chouko was also there and because of her fear of being viewed as weak she didn't.
- Mythology Gag: Possibly to the first Dangan Ronpa. Hiruko's the second victim of the mutual killing game, as was Chihiro Fujisaki. This could be a comparison as both died from head trauma.
- There also seems to be a mythology gag towards Dangan Ronpa 2, for after Hiruko is killed, Moko suggests they make a shrine for her. This could be in reference to the shrine made for Mahiru Koizumi, after she was killed in the second chapter.
- Rebellious Spirit: She went to the weapons shop in town simply because she was told not to.
- Shout-Out: To the Simpsons when she asked Abasi if he'd shoved a crayon up his nose and gotten it lodged in his brain.
- Transgender: She's a trans woman.
Super High-School Level Security Official
He had become recognized by Hope's Peak Academy when he singlehandedly rifled out corruption from within several security companies and three police departments completely despite impossible odds and intense difficulty. His strong moral compass isn't the only thing that earned him recognition. His continued excellence at his job had earned him many spots in the newspapers as well, as well as his exceptional skillset. Incorrectly voted as the culprit of the third trial and executed.
- Affectionate Nickname: Refers to Hasumi as "Morticia Darling".
- American Accents: Specifically New Jersey.
- Cluster F-Bomb: During the third trial.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Perhaps the worst in the game so far. He is impaled in a sarcophagus and left inside as it melts, and he melts also.
- False Soulmate: Abasi had a huge crush on Moko prior to becoming an Official Couple with Hasumi. Abasi still has some lingering affection for Moko, however.
- Fanboy: To Frank Serpico. And how.
- Friendship Denial: He's currently in a complete state of this despite Goro confessing to murdering Hiruko. Keiko is especially off-put by this.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Goroshiro. Later with Teddi
- Official Couple: With Hasumi
- One of the Kids: He's nineteen but placed in the freshman class at Hope's Peak.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivered in the third trial. It includes highlights such as him claiming to hate everybody.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Incorrectly voted as the culprit of the third trial and is sentenced to be executed for this.
- Shutting Up Now: Around the end of the first trial, he decides not to add anything else unless he was addressed.
- Take Me Instead: Confesses to killing Satoru and Teddi to save Hasumi.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Word of God says that Abasi is deathly afraid of fire. This makes his friendship with Seki odd and his execution even more cruel, as he is melted to death.
Super High-School Level Equestrian
The only child of two very rich and eccentric businesspeople who idolized the concept of the American cowboy, Yukito grew up on a ranch and began riding horses before he could walk. He began competing in the junior leagues the moment he aged in, and shot up through the rankings, gaining worldwide recognition. He has competed successfully in a staggering number of disciplines and is one of the few people from Japan to do so on an international level, despite rumors of bizarre and erratic behavior at competitions. Due to a double tie in the second trial, he is chosen at random to be crippled but is saved by Goroshiro
- Abhorrent Admirer: Yukito is NOT appreciative of Sekitan's obsession with him.
- Birds of a Feather: Naturally, he becomes friends with Sumi and Kaede.
- Blue with Shock: His reaction to Ema's execution.
- Fanservice: Strips during the third trial to prove his innocence.
- He becomes best known for this for stripping in almost every trial. Monobear even makes mention of this.
- First-Name Basis: With Kaede.
- Irony: Yukito changed his vote in the second trial from Kimi to himself to ensure Kimi would tie with Goro. Had he left his vote cast for Kimi, she would have been executed but instead, he was randomly chosen to be crippled.
- Official Couple: May be in one with Kaede.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Said word for word to Nana and Kaede after the third trial.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Subverted, but he almost became one.
- Stealth Pun: A horse rider who wears a ponytail.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Peppermint
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: After the second trial, Yukito goes to receive his item from the lockers. What he gets instead is an overflow of spiders. His reaction? Cling to the basketball hoop in the Gym.
Takiji "Teddi" Tatsumi
Super High-School Level Tattoo Artist
The third victim of the mutual killing game. Killed by cervical trauma.
- The Cynic: This gets him on the wrong foot with many of his classmates during the first trial.
- Due to the Dead: When he closes Shiori's eyes after she dies.
- Eat the Evidence: In chapter one, he eats the brownies that had been used to sedate Shiori.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Made worse when the Headmaster refers to him as Teddi in front of the entire freshman class.
- The Klutz: Tips his chair backwards and hits his head during the first normal day.
- Lethal Chef: He sets the kitchen on fire trying to make eggs.
- The Rival: To Abasi. Seems to be developing one with Kimi after their fight in chapter two's trial.
- Stress Vomit: In reaction to Hiruko's death.
- Useless Protagonist: Views himself as this after Moko calls him worthless in the first trial.
Super High-School Level Arachnologist
Everything about Kimi comes off as very "average", her height, her weight, her eye colour, her fashion choice, and even her hair was average, if she wasn't trying so hard with those blonde streaks in her hair. (Seriously, who DOES that?) She was born and raised in Japan with her two parents and sister. She doesn't appear to talk about herself a lot.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Stated that she doesn't work well in conversations for very long.
- Berserk Button: During the second trial, she does not take kindly to Eve accusing Hasumi of murdering Hiruko.
- The Cynic: Revealed on her about page, although she tries to pass as optimistic.
- Fainting: During the end of the second trial when Yukito is selected to be crippled. It's also accompanied by her gasping for air.
- Holding Hands: Kimi holds hands with everyone she cares for to express affection.
- Luminescent Blush: When she first meets Morita, since he's in his boxers.
- Official Couple: May be about to enter one with Moko. It's revealed that they have kissed, but they haven't established their status yet.
- Only One Name: She's referred to as just "Kimi" — no last name has been given as of yet.
- Take Me Instead: After Goro confesses that he killed Hiruko on accident, she attempts to tie the vote to save his life, telling everyone to vote for her so they can have a chance of saving Goro.
Super High-School Level Barista
Lucius seems like the type of person who is too happy for their own good. They walked with their head high, and the smallest smile always plastered on their face. They were friendly to anyone who talked to them, and enthused about novels they read with people who were interested. They love talking to potential customers people and getting to know people, but gets pissy when people come into their own cafe and don't bother buying anything. Even when they're pissy though, Lucius is generally more like an angry kitten than anything. Lucius enjoys a variety of different things, and would definitely love to share them with anyone who asked! Responsible for murdering Petal in the fourth chapter and are executed.
- Ambiguous Gender: Genderfluid, as confirmed by their player. However, they use they/he pronouns mostly.
- Bait-and-Switch: Although it's not done by them, but a morbid example is during their execution, they are trapped in a coffee grinder with what appears to be their sister. When they go to save her, however, it ends up being a Monobear doll in a wig.
- Broken Tears: In response to the fourth motive.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Has a bunny on their apron and also uses bunnies as their signature on lattes.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Put in a coffee blender and chopped into pieces.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Although this only applies to sibling love, you can kill Lucius without them caring, but don't touch their sister.
- Last Request: Their's is that someone deliver their letters to their sister once they die.
- Not Afraid to Die: They stop showing interest in death after they confess. What they're really afraid of is something happening to his sister.
- The Nicknamer: Gives nicknames based on talents, traits, and sometimes just shortened names.
- Not So Different: To Ema. They actually say Ema's motive was very similar to their own, and that gives them hope.
- Parental Substitute: Lucius was raised by maids and servants majority of their life.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Delivered during the first trial when everyone begins yelling and fighting with one another and don't care at all that someone has already died and someone is about to die.
- Sympathetic Murderer: They say that the reason they killed Petal was so she could stop suffering as she wanted to die. This also saves all of the students' loved ones.
- Take Me Instead: When the fourth motive is revealed that Monobear would kill his little sister Victorique, they request to die rather than let her die.
- Tears of Remorse: Cries for the first time after Teddi and Satoru are killed.
- The Tease: Shamelessly flirts with Teddi even though they honestly don't mean anything by it.
Super High-School Level Hacktivist
Asa learned how to code at a young age, enthralled by the fact that they could create something new and not even leave their computer to do it. They soon started deconstructing codes and using that knowledge in order to break into accounts of people they didn't like. A few of their classmates found out that Asa was pretty decent at hacking, so they payed Asa to get information on other people. This became more regular, and the things that Asa was hacking increased in difficulty. Eventually, they found themself completely shutting down certain blogs and websites - especially when they disagreed with the content on it. This led them to start on their biggest "project". However, they ran into some legal trouble after partaking on this project, so not much can be revealed on the topic. Knocked down a wall in Chapter 6, resulting in them being blinded.
- Ambiguous Gender: Genderfluid, as confirmed by their player.
- Broken Tears: Over the first motive.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-German
- Character Tics: When they get upset, they put their hood up. They also tie their hair up in a bun when working with computers, seen when they go to check out the computer Keiko found.
- The Cracker: Their SHSL talent.
- Eye Scream: Shards of glass from exploding computer monitors are ejected into their eyes.
- Ironic Name: One of the meanings of their name is Healer. This is ironic in that their moderator said Asa would rather laugh at someone than heal them.
- Love Triangle: Triang Relations Type 4 with Asa at A, Moko at B, and Kimi at C.
- Meaningful Name: One of the meanings is 'God', another is 'Healer'
- Official Couple: Was in one pre-despair with a person by the name of Hiruto.
- Only One Name: They're referred to as just "Asa" — no last name has been given as of yet.
- Parental Neglect: The first motive shows signs of this. When Asa sees their real name given, they become angry as it is a name tied to their parents, and they don't need their parents. It's also hinted at in a conversation they had with Eve.
- Rapunzel Hair: When it's untied.
- Take Me Instead: Volunteers to take Yukito's place and be crippled.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Averted in that they are only blinded as a punishment after knocking down a wall.
- Scars Are Forever: When they strip during the second trial, it is mentioned they have a few scars on their shoulders. Their sweatshirt-less sprites also show that they have scars on their forearms.
Hasumi Kisaragi/ Tomie Yamada
Super High-School Level Horror Novelist
Is an attempted third victim of the mutual killing game, but she survives her attack. She ends up being the culprit of the third chapter, but is let free when a stalemate choose Abasi as the culprit. She's finally punished and executed in chapter five, though.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Stabbed through the heart with a metal stake. The truly cruel part is that the first attempts missed and just horribly wounded her.
- Despair Event Horizon: In response to Abasi being sentenced to death in the third trial.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Sure, she may write horror stories and look the part but when Takiji questions if she'd kill anyone and asks her to kill him quickly if she decides to, she gives him a stirring speech on why not to think of himself as a victim.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Hers being little pumpkins.
- Fanservice: Takes off her nightgown during chapter two's trial to prove her innocence.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Although she does get away with murder Teddi and Satoru, it comes with the price of her boyfriend's life when he's convicted to be killed for her crimes. She's later executed as a killer in the fifth trial.
- Meaningful Rename: It's revealed at the beginning of the fourth chapter that Hasumi's real name is Tomie Yamada.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Abasi Pharaoh-Chi.
- Omniglot: She speaks French, but the extent of her knowledge is limited since we've only heard her say "I am a beautiful bread", and she had a concussion and had been awake for about twenty-two hours when this happened.
- Official Couple: With Abasi
- Precocious Crush: Develops one with Abasi during the first trial.
- Shout-Out: To Doubt Academy Black. When confused on having a handicap in a video game, Hasumi wonders if that meant she was "a toy maker in a wheel chair".
- In addition, if her room is investigated, one would find three stuffed animals on her bed: a simple bat, Ao Oni, and the dad from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.
- Technicolor Eyes: Hers being orange.
- Tragic Keepsake: Keeps Shiori's elephant stuffed animal. Later adopts Futeki after Itami's death.
Super High-School Level Lawyer
Responsible for killing Shiori in the first chapter and is pinned as the culprit.
- Alcoholic Parent: Her mother.
- Anyone Can Die: One would expect Ema to stay alive, as she is a lawyer and knows the most about court proceedings, but she is the culprit of the first chapter and executed accordingly.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Stabbed with knives before being crushed by a giant gavel that says loser on it.
- I Am Not My Father: She commits murder so no one will find out her mother is a druggie and attribute this to her.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Comes into play when she kills Shiori
- Mind Screw Driver: Unlike most of the other students, we actually get to see what motivated Ema to kill Shiori at the end of the first trial. Her card says "that your mother was a druggie? I wonder if the fruit falls far from the tree".
- The Scapegoat: Shiori claims she took this status when she voiced her suspicions of Keiko being the mastermind.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pastries. She even hoarded them in her room.
Super High-School Level Good Luck
An avid believer of luck, Yosu was very honoured to have been chosen to attend Hope's Peak as the SHSL Luckster. They take pride in their talent, despite being an average student. They feel as though hard work and dedication is the running force behind a majority of Super High School Levels, and feels that, with time, they could develop a talent of their own. The only obstacle that has prevented them from doing so already, in their mind at least, is their indifference towards social assignment. Taken hostage by Monobear in the beginning of the game and locked in one of the upper floors. At the beginning of chapter three, an announcement from Monobear revealed Yosu died of starvation.
- Ambiguous Gender: Unlike the other examples of this trope in this work being genderfluid, Yosu is agender.
- Animal-Eared Headband: Their headphones have cat ears on them.
- Anyone Can Die: One may expect for them to play a role similar to the cannon SHSL Good Luck student Makoto Naegi and survive to the end. However, Yosu is the first to be punished and dies of starvation.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Denied food until they starved at the beginning of chapter three.
- Denied Food as Punishment
- Only One Name: They're referred to as just "Yosu".
- Punny Name: Specifically, punny last name. Their last name means cat mountain.
Mona Fukuwara/ Ramona Hackworth
Super High-School Level Classical Pianist
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: Although, it may be eyeshadow.
- Deus Exit Machina: She's absent during chapter two because after Ema is executed, she passed out from forgetting to eat and wakes up in the infirmary during chapter three.