Trials of Desperation is a Danganronpa Tumblr roleplay, concluded in 2014. Similarly to the Visual Novel series, a group of students with elite abilities for their ages are sent to attend Hope's Peak Academy. Upon arrival, they are greeted by the school's Good Luck and headmaster, and are given a week to settle in, explore their surroundings, etc.
Once that week passes, however, a new challenge emerges, far worse than any entrance exam or opening ceremony. How still our students fare? Will they survive, or succumb to the despair?
Trials of Desperation contains examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: The nature of the game. Whether you're a victim, culprit, accused innocent, or even the Mastermind, you're still not safe!
- Career-Ending Injury:
- How Monobear will punish anyone whom breaks down any of the school's walls, as seen with Keiko in Chapter Three.
- After a tie in the votes during the second trial, Monobear issues this out to a random student as punishment. Yukito was the one chosen, but Goro took his place.
- Darker and Edgier: Remember how in the original game, if you misvote, everyone but the killer dies? Not this time: The killer has the entire possibility of getting away with murder and condemning an innocent to death. To escape, they have to do this twice.
- Dark Secret: Monobear threatens to reveal these for the first motive.
- Everyone Is Bi: Almost every character is Pansexual, confirmed by the GM.
- Hostile Show Takeover: By Monobear after the end of their first week at the school.
- Karma Houdini: Nearly happens in the first trial; Kimi successfully got everyone to tie the votes, despite Goro being the guilty party, causing Yukito to be chosen at random to be crippled. The subversion comes in when Goro takes his place, and while Goro's not quite dead, one could argue that what did happen to him isn't that much better.
- Mystery of the Week: Given the nature of the game. Every week, someone is killed, and the students must work to investigate and find out who did it in a trial. The cycle repeats until the mastermind is found.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with Shiori Kimura and Chouko Kimura. Despite the fact that Shiori is the first victim.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: In Chapter Three, after Keiko breaks down a wall, a computer is found along with a note saying something about speaking with the dead. While it has yet to be found out by the students in-game, an ooc explanation post by the mods afterwards confirmed that, with the right password found, students can use that computer to communicate with the dead.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The reason for Moritia's absence for the first chapter and most of the second.
- Timed Mission: The time for investigations before trials, also, during the first trial Monobear insinuated that there's a set amount of time for the trials as well.