Groin Attacks are often funny and rarely long-lasting. However, there is a darker version of them: castration, which is rarely (though occasionally) played for laughs. Usually in fiction, it's utilized in an attempt for horror to show how sick the villain is, or inversely for revenge to a sicko who had it coming. If given to a rapist (such as in a Rape and Revenge movie) it will also count as Laser-Guided Karma, maybe even a Karmic Death if they die from the blood loss.
As with Groin Attacks in general, male examples are more common than female ones. Eunuchs Are Evil is when a villain may lose his ability to procreate but not his ability to show his evil. This is likely a reason Animals Fear Neutering. Expect Instant Soprano to persist as a way to suggest the victim's condition without explicitly stating it. See Freudian Threat if castration is used as a threat.
- Tokyo Ghoul:
- In Osamu Tezuka's manga MW, Shunsaku Ban gets castrated by a vicious dog named Tomoe in chapter 20, Inversion.
- "Y-you filthy varmint! You bit off my pecker! Owww... Ow ow ow..."
- In Ai no Kusabi Guy castrates Riki as a way to rid him of the pet ring Iason put on him.
- In Legend of the Blue Wolves Leonard rather graphically castrates Jonathan's rapist, Captain Continental, as punishment.
- Hiro in Ginga Densetsu Weed has a nickname called the "ball-snatcher." It REALLY involves tearing off the privates of other dogs. Truth is, he was training in that to take down Kamikiri, who killed his father when he was young.
- Dog Soldier: Hiba cuts the member off of an attempted rapist.
- Dokuro: Takeo rips the penis off of a prisoner who plans to rape him.
- Eden of the East: This is the method Kuroha Diana Shiratori uses to kill her victims, using a cigar cutter to do so. She probably sees it as some sort of Karmic Death as she goes after men who have raped or sexually abused women.
- Jones in XIII takes a bullet that ends up going through her uterus, making her sterile.
- Sin City: In "That Yellow Bastard", Hartigan's Establishing Character Moment is removing the gun and penis off a pedophile (who happens to be the only son of a powerful US Senator, landing Hartigan in prison for years) to save his victim Nancy. Years later, Hartigan believes Nancy to be in danger and looks for her, trailed by a grotesque little man who stinks and whose skin is bright yellow (in a black-and-white comic). It turns out the yellow man is the Senator's son, whose appearance is due to the multiple treatments needed to grow a new penis (the Senator needed grandchildren). Hartigan defeats him and once again, removes his weapons — both of them, with his bare hands this time — before savagely pounding his head into the floor until there isn't a head anymore.
- In the Cardcaptor Sakura fic Shadow of the Dragon, Sakura arrives Just in Time to save Tomoyo from being raped by Satome, their school's bully and a Serial Rapist. After she kicks him into a wall, the Mirror Card manifests in the form of Tomoyo, shatters a mirror, and declares that Satome will never hurt a girl like that again before stabbing him in the groin with the mirror shards; the next chapter outright confirms that the Mirror castrated Satome.
Shinji Asaba: Satome is a girl now.
- Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizons's Blackjack tends to dish out groin attacks whenever sufficiently angry or drunk, but the most memorable one is the one she gives Deus, which drives him completely berserk.
- Escape From the Moon: In the later sequel Scavenge for the Future, Ray Blaster justifiably gets shot in the crotch with his own gun, courtesy of Downpour, the owner of Doa's Bar. Who is actually Spliced Genome.
- Between Three Rogues: Aika foils Vigoros canon Attempted Rape by grabbing his balls and literally burning them off. Its enough to make the veteran air pirate Gilder throw up.
- Antichrist: The husband's attempt to cure his wife of her trauma goes awry, and she eventually goes nuts and crushes his balls with a block of wood. Also contains a rare female example as, later on, she feels guilty about doing this, and as self-punishment gets a pair of scissors and... let's just say it's not pretty.
- Teeth: The protagonist Dawn discovers she's evolved a defense mechanism against rape: teeth in her vagina. A fortuitous tool for her, as the film is set in a world where apparently All Men Are Rapists (except her dad, fhew!) By the end of the film, Dawn has castrated three men, two of whom died from it, and seems to start a career of seeking out rapists to make them pay for their crimes.
- Both the original and the remake of I Spit on Your Grave have Jennifer castrating one of her rapists, killing him by making him bleed out.
- In The Ice Pirates, the two protagonists are captured and it is decided that they are to be made into eunuch slaves. They are bound to a conveyor belt and metal jaws above proceed to emasculate the hapless victims before them, filling the factory-like setting with screams. Luckily, the princess intervenes and covertly lets them keep their crown jewels.
- Hot Shots! Part Deux: Topper Harley knees a guy in the groin so hard two walnuts come out of his mouth. Ouch.
- Bananas: Nancy assures an anxious Fielding that women's rights "do not automatically mean castration" and he nearly doubles over in horror at the mere mention of the word.
- The Hateful Eight: Warren ends up shot in the balls and bleeding to death. It leaves him confined to a bed for the rest of the movie... but barely kicking any less ass.
- A partial example befalls one of the escaping convicts in House of Blood, when he's shot in the groin by one of the prison-transport guards. The doctor inspects his wound, noting that one of his testicles has been destroyed, then has to debride the wound and extract the mangled testicular tissue.
- In Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Rabbi Tuckman offers to circumcise Robin and his group of Merry Men, only for them to refuse when he demonstrates the circumcision as putting one's manhood through the chopping end of a small guillotine in order to "nip the tip".
- Bring Me the Head of the Machine Gun Woman: The Machine Gun Woman's final vengeance on Che Longara is brutal. She takes out his eyes, shoots out his kneecaps, and the fires two shots into his groin.
- Immortals: Hyperion orders his henchman to smash the traitorous Lysander's testicles with a hammer to brand him as untrustworthy.
- Hostel Part II: Beth turns the tables on her torturer, buys her way to freedom and becomes a member of the hunting club by cutting her torturer's groin off with a pair of garden shears and then tosses the organ to hungry guard dogs.
- In Hard Candy, Hayley castrates Jeff in one of the film's most notorious scenes. Except not really; Hayley merely tricked Jeff into thinking she'd castrated him.
- A Man Called Horse: Batiste, a man who has been a prisoner of the tribe for five years, was castrated as punishment for an escape attempt.
- In The Runelords, invader and first-book main villain Raj Ahten has a harem of wives whom no one is allowed to look upon lest they suffer castration or death. In the second book, there is a plot to curb the invasion by sending a group led by The Lancer, Borenson, to convince Raj Ahten's favourite wife to convince him to stop, using her magically enhanced beauty to hypnotize him. When he gets wind of this, Raj Ahten punishes Borenson personally by ripping out his genitals bare-handed. Borenson nearly bleeds to death, but receives last-minute medical aid.
- The Big Bad from Tim Powers's novel Last Call gets shot in the groin at the start of the book, leaving him unable to sire biological children. This is particularly problematic for him, because he'd planned to use magic to commit Grand Theft Me on his offspring when he got old.
- In The Smiling Proud Wanderer, male practitioners of the Dangerous Forbidden Technique Sunflower Manual have to castrate themselves to achieve the agility and flexibility of women. It would be a straight Disability Superpower if it weren't for the angst involved.
- Geoffrey Haldane, the first Big Bad in Jack Chalker's Soul Rider series, has a Freudian Excuse where he was castrated as a teenager for the crime of spying on Women's Mysteries, and was later forced to accept a permanent Gender Bender by a sorceress who found his situation amusing. The end result is a psychotic trans man intent on punishing all women for the loss of his testicles.
- At the end of Is-A-Man by J.T. Edson, Annie Singing Bear castrates the Bandito who raped her best friend. She does this like castrating a bull; cutting open his scrotum, removing his testicles, and sewing him back up.
- It is heavily implied in The Elenium that the literal emasculation of the Elder God Azash by the Younger Gods of Styricum (as marked on the clay statue he is bound into by the crotch area being shiny) is connected to their metaphorical emasculation of him in some symbolic but divinely important fashion.
- Castration comes up a lot in A Song of Ice and Fire, as one of the great number of horrible things that happen to people in Westeros.
- Theon is castrated as part of his torture by Ramsay Snow.
- Varys was castrated as a boy, as part of a sorcerous ritual.
- The Unsullied are also all castrated at the start of their Training from Hell.
- During Daenerys' conquest of Slaver Bay, she forbids her mercenaries to loot and rape. Looters are punished by having a hand cut off; the punishment for rapists is likewise the removal of the body part used in the crime...
- Inverted in Johannes Cabal: The title character magically regenerates an evil eunuch sorcerer's genitalia to De-Power him and render him vulnerable to a succubine devil.
- In the climax of Red Dwarf: Last Human, Lister's evil Alternate Self shoots him in the crotch with a rad pistol in an utterly psychopathic attempt to force Kochanski to abandon her boyfriend. Not only does this leave Lister almost crippled with pain, but it's quickly confirmed that the radiation was enough to sterilize him. Or at least, it would have been if Kochanski hadn't been carrying a second vial of the Luck Virus with her.
- In one of the RCN novels, a mook gives Adele and her sociopathic Ninja Maid Tovera a Pervy Patdown. The first opportunity she gets, Tovera stabs him with a writing stylus before castrating him.
- At one point in Shadow of the Conqueror, Daylen catches a man red-handed in the process of raping his daughter. Magically enhancing his strength, Daylen rips the man's presumably-still-erect dick off with his bare hands!
- Timeline-191: Ernest Hemingway. In parallel to the real Hemingway's novel The Sun Also Rises, Sylvia Enos' ghost writer (and later lover) Ernest lost his testicles while serving as an ambulance driver in this world's alternate World War I, which left him feeling frustrated and, well, impotent. Unlike the real Hemingway (but like the main character in his novel), Ernest lost his drive to write fiction, sticking to low-end journalism and writing other people's stories, which is how Sylvia met him. Eventually, his frustration gets the best of him and he murders Sylvia in a rage, then commits suicide.
- In the infamous Robert A. Heinlein novel Farnham's Freehold, the villain is going to castrate both the protagonist, Hugh, and his teenage son, Duke to reinforce their status as slaves but decides not to do it at the last minute. The villain ends up doing it to Duke later to make him more docile after he tries to rebel.
- America's Funniest Home Videos. Invoked when Tom Bergeron viewed a wedding clip through the Slo-Mo Gizmo: at one point in the clip, a wedding guest hurls a packed handful of rice at the groom's crotch, so Tom deduces that said guest must have previously dated the bride, and therefore, is trying to sabotage the groom's chances at wedded bliss.
- Invoked in the Blackadder II episode "Bells", after Percy shoots a bow at Baldrick's groin:
Baldrick: Not to worry, my lord, the arrow didn't in fact enter my body.
Edmund: Oh good.
Baldrick: No, by a thousand to one chance, my willy got in the way.
Baldrick: And I only just put it there. But now, I will leave it there forever.
Edmund: It can be your lucky willy.
Baldrick: Yes, my lord. Years from now I can take it out and show it to my grandchildren.
Edmund: Baldrick, I fear that grandchildren may now be out of the question.
- The House episode ("Man of the House") featured a motivational speaker who was kicked so hard in the nuts his testicles stopped producing testosterone (or in the words of one of the characters, his testosterone levels were "just below Bieber"). It made him suffer from masculinity issues but also turned him into a powerful marriage seminar speaker.
- My Name Is Earl: Little Chubby, the richest guy in Candem, used to be a major asshole until Earl got sick of his abuse and kicked him in the balls while wearing a clownnose and orange clownwig (a reference to the short-lived tv-series Kicked In The Nuts). The kick caused enough damage to Chubby's testes that it prevented testosterone from being released, and combined with him realizing how hated he was, it made him a much nicer guy. When he eventually has the injury fixed, he quickly reverts to being an asshole, and deliberately gets himself re-injured. He has himself fixed a SECOND time off-screen by the time the series wrapped up because people were starting to take advantage of his nicer personality.
- Hill Street Blues: A female detective is playing Dirty Harriet to try and get close to someone who got Off on a Technicality by claiming he spoke no English and therefore hadn't understood his Miranda rights, hoping to get him on tape speaking English. When he catches on and kicks off, she draws her sidearm and tries to put one in his leg, but inadvertently scores a direct hit on his testicles. She spends much of her screentime in the next episode trying to convince everyone she didn't do it on purpose. Not that anyone would have been all that upset if she had, except maybe Captain Furillo: The guy was a rapist.
- The Handmaid's Tale: Ofglen, a handmaid, is discovered to be having an affair with a Martha. As punishment for being "gender traitors", the infertile Martha is hanged whereas fertile (and therefore valuable) Ofglen receives a clitoridectomy.
- On Game of Thrones, Ramsay cuts off Theon's penis (and sends it back to Theon's father), as part of some Cold-Blooded Torture. This causes Theon to lose his (already shaky) status within House Greyjoy, and causes him a lot of insecurity and trauma.
- Varys and Grey Worm were both castrated as small boys, under different circumstances.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: As part of being the general Butt-Monkey of the show, Detective Charles Boyle have recieved crotch injuries more than once in the line of duty. He's not impotent, but it did eventually render him infertile, leaving his only hope for children with the sperm samples he had previously frozen... until he lost them to his cruel and spiteful ex-wife. Rather than further cowtowing to her, he and his new fiancee decide to adopt instead.
- The Lonely Island's song "Like a Boss" has the protagonist chop off his own balls during the course of "an average day". The whole thing is implied to be a hallucination, though, due to all its other wackiness.
Seth Rogen: Uh-huh. So that's an average day in the life of you?
Andy Samberg: No doubt.
Seth Rogen: You chop your balls off and die.
Andy Samberg: Hell yeah.
- Macabre's "Nero's Inferno" tells how, when he was a Serial Killer, Nero would have people tied to poles and bite their genitals off.
- In Egyptian Mythology, Osiris was cut to pieces by his brother, Seth. His wife Isis finds and buries all parts of his body in order to resurrect him. However, his phallus was eaten by fish by the time she found it and was therefore unable to be returned. So she had to carve a new one from wood. It worked, somehow, as they had sex and conceived Horus.
- The Bible:
- In Paul the Apostle's letter to the Galatians, he sarcastically suggests that those who would stir up trouble to make the Galatians turn to "another gospel" by having themselves be circumcised should go all the way and castrate their own selves.
- In the Book of Deuteronomy, the punishment for a woman who tries to rescue her husband from a brawl by grabbing his opponent's genitals is to have her hand cut off. By doing that, she would be jeopardizing that man's estate, his status in society, his ability to have children (or have more children), his old age (since elderly people were looked after by their adult children), and his ability to worship in the Temple (since men with crushed testicles were not permitted to do so), so the punishment was accordingly harsh (though it can come across as Disproportionate Retribution to modern readers). Presumably, this punishment would have applied to anyone who did this, but this passage likely refers to a specific Noodle Incident.
- Jesus in the Gospels says that there are men who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven, which is how serious He believes men should take purity in sexual matters, whether married or single (although because the Law of Moses, with the commandments mentioned above, was still in effect at the time Jesus said this, it is not known whether this self-castration was meant to be taken literally or metaphorically-most theologians have said the latter, but the occasional man who castrated himself too has occurred).
- In The Warriors video game, wheelchair-bound Turnbull lieutenant Birdie has the habit of crushing his enemies' nuts by rolling over them.
- Rulers who belong to the Byzantine culture group in Crusader Kings II (including, naturally, the Byzantine emperors themselves) have the option of castrating rebels, traitors, and other prisoners held in their dungeons.
- In Dwarf Fortress, enemies can be gelded in combat from a lucky (or unlucky) blow to the lower body, which is implemented in abstract instead of implementing genitals solely for this purpose.
- While it is never actually done, Final Fantasy VII (and by extension Final Fantasy VII Remake) has Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith interrogate Sector 6's mob boss Don Corneo, threatening to cut off, rip off, and/or smash his family jewels if he doesn't tell them everything he knows about Shinra's plans. Since Corneo is a Dirty Old Man, this threat is probably more horrifying to him than straight-up death threats.
- On page 188 of San: Three Kingdoms Comic, Zhuge Liang gets on the receiving end of a Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs Groin Attack that makes him shrivel like a vegetable in addition to being infertile and "unable to stand up". This is actually Huang Zhong's revenge on him for tricking him during the events of the Battle of Chi Bi.
- Tales of the Galli: The Galli are mostly ritually self-castrated eunuchs. Those who apply as novices are initially weeded out by being shown a castration clamp and told that the ritual "can be performed now".
- Achievement Hunter's hosts of "Fails of the Weak" often joke about this when seeing some of the more unlucky players receiving knives to the crotch.
Geoff: Ooo no more babies.
- Tails Series:
- The Legatum series is rife with characters who end up having their groins maimed in some way, shape or form. Notable examples include:
- Lorko Maeliss from Smirvlak's Stone, who has his penis bitten off by Nick Corveel.
- Trellorv's mother from Scrambled Egg, who has a heated pike inserted into her vulva.
- Several characters from The Road to Hell..., such as Agrox (castrated off-screen), Aerotan (ovaries mutilated or cut out by Psymarr), and an orc who had his penis sliced off while he was masturbating to a slave getting raped.
- The Darwin Awards has castration as one of the conditions for eligibility. As the awards are given to exceptionally stupid people who have weeded themselves out of the gene pool, each "winner" must either be dead or otherwise unable to reproduce and pass on their stupid genes. Most non-fatal awards typically involve castration because men are far more likely to engage in the requisite idiocy and women are far less likely to survive the requisite injuries.
- In the short "Minister Golf" from the Tiny Toon Adventures episode, "Sports Shorts", Baby Plucky is learning how to play miniature golf, and at one point, he accidentally hits his father hard in the groin with a golf ball. After the ball goes down the hole, we get this line:
Mr. Duck: Congratulations, Son! You're going to be an only child!
- South Park:
- Taken to extremes in one episode where Kenny endeavors to completely shatter his dad's testicles in order to thwart his parents' plans to have a new baby. On the other hand, in a later episode, Randy Marsh deliberately gives himself testicular cancer to get a prescription for medical marijuana, and his balls swell to the point where he can only move around by bouncing on them. He eventually has them amputated, but he's surprisingly nonchalant about it and casually mentions getting a prosthetic pair. He even has his old scrotum made into a coat for his wife, which actually makes her feel better about the situation.
- "Ike's Wee-wee": The boys think that Ike is getting his penis cut off as part of his circumcision due to poor information, and it gets to the point of Kyle faking Ike's death and hiding him in Nebraska. They're more accepting after it's fully explained, though Stan and Cartman still faint during the ceremony.
- Jake Gabowski, a former military squadmate of main character Woody Johnson, got his genitals blown off because Woody threw him at a grenade to save himself when the two served in Iraq as members of the patrol group Red Skulls. To make it worse, Woody ended up earning himself a medal for heroism for saving Gabowski from the injury he caused him. Afterwards, Gabowski began living as a woman because he found it less humiliating, and ended up becoming the Secretary of The Interior for the sole purpose of getting revenge on his former teammate. He intended to top off a Humiliation Conga he subjected Woody to, taking his job, house and dignity, by castrating him in revenge. However, Woody admits that he deserves whatever Gabowski subjects him to, and tells him to just go through with it, leading to Gabowski sparing him over their past as soldiers. Instead he just forces Woody to have sex with him.
- In another episode, Malloy starts to become incredibly sexually aggressive due to entering puberty (he's a bear cub), so Woody has him neutered. This not only cuts off his sexual aggression, but also makes him less of a jerk, much to his frustration. After Woody is injured in a shooting, Malloy pays the doctor to castrate Woody as payback, and implant the testicles in him. Of course, thanks to Status Quo Is God, this is never referenced again.
- In the Falklands War of 1982, a Royal Marine suffered the most crippling flesh wound of all, losing his genitals but otherwise physically unharmed. His commanding officer visited him on board the hospital ship and raised his morale with the following exchange:
Commanding Officer: Well, I'm afraid you're going to have to leave the service, Marine, after that injury.
Marine: But why, sir? The medics tell me everything else is working and I'll be fit to carry on!
Commanding Officer: [Sighs, resignedly] No. you've got to go. [Beat] Didn't you know you've got to be a complete prick to be a Marine?
- The infamous Bobbitt case involved Lorena Bobbitt cutting off her husband John's penis in retaliation for his rape and general abuse of her. It was soon reattached, and both folks received a fair deal of notoriety. John tried to spin his fame into a career, briefly joining a band, the Severed Parts, and acting in two porno spoofs, one called John Wayne Bobbitt: Uncut, and another called Frankenpenis. Lorena went on to found the Lorena Gallo Foundation, a foundation and support group for victims of domestic violence. Several other cases have also involved women cutting off their husbands' penises in retaliation for infidelity or abuse.
- A variety of male mammals, from rabbits to sea lions, sometimes attempt to bite rival males' testicles off when they fight over mates.
- Some snails and slugs do the same, with the added twist that they're also hermaphrodites: the one which succeeds in gelding its opponent then inseminates its defeated rival, who's stuck with the more-costly task of laying the eggs.
- Modern asymmetrical warfare, with its emphasis on IEDs and other mine-like devices, has resulted in such a huge increase in what are euphemistically called "urinary tract injuries" that the US Department of Defence has started offering their soldiers the opportunity to freeze eggs or semen prior to deployment. It is partly because of this category of patients that surgeons are trying to develop a procedure for a successful penis transplant.
- Due to the Byzantine Empire's belief that the Divine Right of Kings required an emperor to be an unblemished physical specimen, being castrated (and/or otherwise mutilated, with Eye Scream and Facial Horror also being popular choices) and Locked Away in a Monastery basically became the retirement package for an emperor who lost his throne or a punishment for an unsuccessful usurper.
- The character Judith in Love In Hate Nation introduces herself to the main character and audience by proclaiming that she's in juvie because she "cut a guy's dick off." While at first played for laughs, it is later revealed that the man she castrated was her father, who had been sexually abusing her since seven years old.
- Played for laughs in Twisted: The Untold Story of a Royal Vizier with the thief. He lists increasingly horrifying and disgusting things that happened to him on his journey to acquire the golden scarab, but always reassuring Jafar that they are just common idioms. That is, until he says that a salesman "chopped his dick off," and becomes offended when Jafar starts laughing, thinking that it is another strange saying. He then reveals the horrifying bloody mess of his injury to Jafar and walks away angrily.