Seth Aaron Rogen (born April 15, 1982) is a Canadian-American actor, comedian, screenwriter, producer, and entrepreneur. Often working with Judd Apatow and writing partner Evan Goldberg, Rogen has appeared in over 20 films during his career.
A Vancouver native, Rogen started out doing stand-up before getting supporting parts in Apatow's TV series Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. His first major film role was in Apatow's The 40-Year-Old Virgin (which he also co-produced), which solidified him as a member of the Frat Pack. He then went on to star in Knocked Up, Funny People, and Observe and Report; and co-wrote with Evan Goldberg the movies Superbad, Pineapple Express, and The Green Hornet. In 2011, he married screenwriter Lauren Miller and played a supporting role in Like Father which Miller directed. He has also done voice acting, providing the voices for Mantis in Kung Fu Panda, Paul in Paul and Pumbaa in the The Lion King (2019). You probably don't know he was in Donnie Darko, either. His directorial debut with Goldberg, This Is the End came out in 2013. He also co-directed The Interview with Goldberg, which caused a substantial amount of controversy in North Korea. In 2016, he co-produced Sausage Party with Golberg. He also co-produced and starred in Long Shot. Since 2016, he has been an executive producer and writer on the TV series Preacher, again along with Goldberg; starred in An American Pickle, where he played the roles of both Herschel Greenbaum and his great-grandson; portrayed Santa Claus in the adult animated comedy series Santa Inc.; and teamed with Goldberg and businessman Michael Mohr to found the cannabis company Houseplant.
Tropes associated with Seth Rogen:
- Annoying Laugh: Lampshaded by his appearance on Jonathan Ross: "You've got an even weirder laugh than mine!" His laugh is so iconic that some foreign dubs of his films leave the laugh in rather than dubbing it.
- Aroused by Their Voice: Seth's deep, husky voice is very attractive.
- The Bear: He is hugely popular with both men and women due to his facial hair and raspy voice.
- The Comically Serious: In his Freaks and Geeks audition tape. He talks to the camera completely stone-faced while crew members are laughing offscreen.
- Creator Thumbprint: Cannabis. Lots and lots of cannabis. All of his movies contain at least one scene involving characters getting high. Oh, and also swearing, especially Cluster F Bombs.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: He tends to play characters who have this dynamic, James Franco being the most common partner. They were this in real life too, but he has since cut ties with Franco after allegations of sexual misconduct of Franco came about.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: When playing opposite James Franco he tends to be the comparatively laid back and rational blue oni.
- The Stoner: Rogen can never get enough weed, and it shows in the roles he plays.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Seth Rogen is not a traditional leading man in any way, shape, or form, yet Katherine Heigl, Rose Byrne, and Charlize Theron (all known for being extremely beautiful) have all played his love interests.
- Younger Than They Look: Look at him in Freaks and Geeks as carefully as you possibly can. He was only 17, but managed to look far, far older than all the actors on the show who weren't really teenagers. In The 40-Year-Old Virgin, he was 22, but convincingly passed for a peer of the title character.