Tales of the Galli follows the misadventures of a group of gender variant priestesses in ancient Rome circa 312 c.e. Constantine has just won the battle of the Milvian Bridge and is about become Augustus of the Western Roman Empire.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Ancient Rome: Set in Rome circa 312 c.e.
- Crippling Castration: The Galli are all ritually self-castrated eunuchs. Those who apply as novices are initially weeded out by being shown a castration clamp and told that the ritual "can be performed now". Katia is a rare example of an involuntarily castrated Galli.
- Death of the Old Gods: Main plot relates to the beginnings of a power struggle within the Roman Empire between the pagan followers of the old Roman gods, and the Christians who desire to replace those with their own god and savior.
- Driven to Suicide: Kasem attempts suicide after being forcibly castrated, but is saved by the goddess Cybele.
- Earth Mother: The goddess Cybele appears in dreams and visions to Daphne and Katia. She is known as The Great Mother and has her her own cult and followed by the Galli.
- Ensemble Cast: While Daphne and Chloe are the nominal main characters, focus shifts constantly between characters at Galli Compound, the Imperial family, and other parties.
- Historical Webcomics: Set in ancient Rome.
- Iron Lady: Helena, Constantine's mother is an ex tavern worker who was his father's first wife before he became Augustus (senior Emperor) of the Western Roman Empire. She runs her own spy network and intrigues to maintain Constantine's power and establish Christianity as the dominant religion.
- Old Friend, New Gender: Emperor Constantine discovers that Katia the Battakes, who has come for a formal interview, is actually his old bodyguard Kasen, who is now a eunuch Galli.