Characters for Fate Revelation Online.
Tropes shared by the Brotherhood of Saint Mark members.
- Badass Crew: Easily has the most powerful characters in the game early on and recognized as such. It's mentioned that they are easily worth eight raid groups during boss fights.
- Fantastic Recruitment Drive: The only qualification that is required to join while Ilya is recruiting is that you have an Infinity +1 Element. Skill and character are optional.
- Infinity -1 Sword: Being part of the guild nets you one of these from Shirou.
Shirou EmiyaA Magus and survivor of the Holy Grail War (Fate Route), Shirou entered the game to play with his sister only to be stuck inside as the Death Game began. Still traversing the path to being a hero, he dedicates himself to saving as many lives as possible early on in the game and has become a somewhat renown and controversial player known as the Sixth Ranger.
- The Ace: From the beginning Shirou has served as an absolute beast of a player due to his combat and magecraft experience.
- Alchemy Is Magic: Ilya has taught him some Alchemy to help with his blacksmithing.
- Arrow Catch: He mentions off-hand that he did this to the Black Cats in 15.3 and followed up with an Eye Scream. But they were in a safe-zone, so no harm no foul.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: In addition to Shirou's max levelled Structural Grasp, a single spar with someone is all the information he needs to forge them their perfect weapon.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Knows unarmed combat to supplement his swordsmanship.
- The Blacksmith: Once the Rear- and Mid-liners are safe enough to no longer need his heroics, Shirou turns to creating swords so that their wielders will be safer.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Yes! There's a reason he's called the Sixth Ranger.
- Crutch Character: Coming out of the Holy Grail war and being a practitioner of Magecraft from the beginning, Shirou throws himself into this position to minimize the number of deaths.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: It's his element and origin.
- Humble Hero: Has no need for rewards or praise.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: When under the effects of the [Trigger] spell, he gains this depending on whose skill he's drawing from.
- Infinity -1 Sword: He crafts these.
- Infinity +1 Element: His element is [Sword], which means his [Psychogenesis] creates more swords and it plays a part in his Unique Spell [Tracing].
- Instant Expert: If he sees a sword he can draw experience from the previous wielder, regardless of whether or not he's even held that type of weapon before.
- Lightning Bruiser: As Shirou is obsessed with saving others, his build is entirely specced towards Agility. His magecraft and swordsmanship, however, provide him with what is likely the highest damage output in the game, and his internal projection in the form of scales of steel allow him to tank hits from floor bosses, making him quite possibly the fastest, strongest, and most durable player in the game.
- Made of Iron: He once stuck his hand inside a furnace just to judge the temperature of coal. Taken a step further in that he can form swords in his skin to minimize damage.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Very little phases him in terms of pain. Justified once you remember, not only that the sensation of creating a Magic Circuit has been explicitly compared to having a bar of red-hot iron inserted into your spine, but that Shirou went through this process repeatedly for years in canon, leading up to the Holy Grail War. Add to that his experiences in the War, such as being splattered by Berserker, and very little compares.
- Mage Marksman: Of the Arcane Archer variety once bows and arrows were unlocked. He snipes a flying boss monster down in two hits.
- Magical Incantation: His Aria is simply "Trace: On!"
- Magic Prerequisite: His Unique [Tracing] spell requires an "Imaginary Blueprints".
- The Perfectionist:
- Shirou will create swords that make Lisbeth jealous, only to immediately break them down for scrap and start over until he manages to match the sword to the design in his mind.
- As of 15.1, he applies this to his clients as well. Now that the quality of the weapon scales with the effort invested into collecting its raw materials, Shirou does not tolerate people half-assing their fetch quests.
- Quest Giver: Shirou assigns quests to his clients for them to gather the materials needed to forge them their ideal weapon.
- Red Baron: Known as "Sixth Ranger". It becomes official later on.
- Sixth Ranger: Literally one, in both ability and how he's always appearing and helping struggling groups in the nick of time. He perfectly matches Kirito's description in the aftermath of the first boss battle.Kirito: Despite not fitting in with that main cast, he shows up out of nowhere and abruptly wins the episodes battle because hes unbalanced and OP. You could say hes a reliable trump card, but on the other hand, thats exactly why he doesnt fit in.
- Trick Arrow: He uses [Alteration] to add [Sword] to his arrows, and can download other qualities from weapons he's recorded in [Tracing] to make a variety.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: Despite being limited to swords, he is capable of creating personalized weapons which characters and narration describe as nothing less than perfectly attuned to their intended wielders, though with "names" that are basically just algorithm-generated manufacturer's markings. This, along with his status as The Ace, contributes to other players' theory that he's actually an AI.
Illyasviel "Ilya" Von EinzbernA former Master of the Holy Grail War, Ilya is a homunculus with a short amount of time left in the world and she wanted to spend it with Shirou until they were trapped inside the game. Could her salvation be found inside the Death Game and how far would she be willing to go to attain it?
- The Ace: An Ace in her own right when it comes to magecraft, she can break just about any curse or boundary field or solo a boss on her own. Knows quite a bit more than Shirou does but has less of a reputation simply because she doesn't go out of her way to help others when there's nothing in it for her.
- Alchemy Is Magic: She's inherited her family's understanding of Alchemy and uses it to install [Sorcery Traits].
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The leader of the group, she possesses the most prana capacity and experience as a magus. Even though her brother is more famous, everyone recognizes her as the Guild Leader.
- Cool Crown: Earns one from the [Metal Slime] Boss on the 4th floor as a LA Bonus.
- Crutch Character: While not as outwardly useful as Shirou, she knows more about Magecraft that even he does and assists many player in their [Circuit Activation] quests.
- Cute Bruiser: Despite her young looks she's a Strength-specced Front Liner.
- Deal with the Devil: Made one with Kayaba. If she helps him, he'll fix her body.
- The Dreaded: Diabel points out that she has a reputation for being more feared than anything.
- Incest Subtext: She doesn't really hide that she wants Shirou for herself in a lot of ways. And keep in mind that, while they're Not Blood Related, she is actually his older sister.
- Insufferable Genius: A genius in magecraft and gaming, Ilya wants everyone to know it. Her raid group during Boss fights is the smallest because none of the other guilds want to deal with her.
- Innocently Insensitive: She... basically this to everyone else, but in 16.2 she pretty much shot a kid's confidence to pieces after telling him that what he made wasn't exactly what he said and didn't bother to complement him on the fact that he'd made something impressive regardless.
- Magical Eye: Still has her [Mystic Eyes of Binding] from Fate Stay Night that lets her control the muscles and joints of whatever living being she looks at.
- Magic Prerequisite: In order to use the [Mystic Eyes] it requires a [Sorcery Trait].
- No Eye in Magic: She still has to look at someone for her Mystic Eyes to work.
- Older Than They Look: Carry over from Fate canon. Ilya is older than Shirou yet looks a lot younger than him.
- Pet the Dog: She didn't have to defeat Zolgen and probably wouldn't have even bothered if it wasn't for the fact that the people who died were friends of her disciple.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Her original build was based on Berserker. So she hits really, REALLY hard.
- Projectile Spell: She can fire her energy as [Ether Bolts], artillery shells of pure destruction. She calls it the [Prana Cannon].
- Pure Energy: She's an Ether-type as well and uses it with her combat abilities.
- Razor Floss: Develops this as a variation of the [Ether Thread] spell.
- Red Baron: Known as "The White Witch," first informally then officially once the [Titled Players] system is launched.
- Spell Blade: On the 4th Floor she develops a spell that takes Ether and has it outline her sword to make it a Chainsaw Sword.
Kirito (Kazuto Kirigaya)A Beta Tester who found himself in the game, the sudden changes in the system has left him involved in the Death Game and walking the path of a Magus. Technically speaking, he's not an official member since he prefers to be a Soloer, but he parties with them the most during the Raids, considers Shirou and Asuna his friends, and is acknowledged by pretty much everyone as being aligned with the guild.
- Always Someone Better: Occasionally he finds himself comparing what he does to what Shirou does as a swordsman, who he acknowledges is leagues ahead of him.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Knows unarmed combat to supplement his swordsmanship.
- Finger Gun: Uses this pose when firing his [Magic Missile] technique.
- Good with Numbers: He finds magecraft easier with numbers in contrast to Shirou's fill-in the cracks style and eventually recognizes [Numerology] as his favored craft. And he's learning under Kayaba without knowing it.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Kirito prefers to use his sword in most situations.
- Homing Projectile: By applying the [Isopsephy] and the [Magic Number] of a target to his spells with [Alteration], Kirito can have them home in on the target as long as he maintains line of sight.
- Humble Hero: Shares this with Shirou.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: By 14:1, Kirito feels this way compared to the other frontline guilds like the DDA, Paladins, and Fuurinkazan as well as the other members of the [Brotherhood of Saint Mark] who all absolutely excel in their various specialties.Compared to all that (read: everyone else in the Brotherhood), Kirito was just... the Ether guy. He didn't have anything special that made him stand out or gave him an edge.
- Innate Night Vision: He knows the [Night Vision] spell.
- Kryptonite Factor: Because of his Numerology Magecraft he can become more effective against certain monsters through killing enough of them in the act of a ritual. Unfortunately, the power-up is temporary so he has to redo the ritual once its effects wear off.
- Projectile Spell: He learned Ilya's [Prana Cannon] technique, but it was so cost heavy that he rebuilt it into an Ether-based version of Rin's Gandr Shot called [Magic Missile].
- Pure Energy: Kirito's Element is Ether.
- Razor Floss: Knows several variations of the [Ether Thread] spell and makes use of at least one.
- Sword Beam: Has learned how to do so by 15.3 and calls the spell [Linker Beam].
- Weapon of X-Slaying: Everyone of his weapons when ritually enchanted to oppose an exact enemy.
Asuna (Asuna Yuuki)A girl new to video games who decided to try out Sword Art Online as an escape from her real life. She ended up trapped in the Death Game at launch and has been forced to grow into a confident young woman. Due to a chance encounter with Ilya early on the First Floor, she's drawn into Ilya's raid group and eventually becomes one of the founding members of the Brotherhood. As the most sensible of the members, she has become their de facto commander.
- Action Girl: Give her a rapier and watch her go.
- Can't Catch Up: Asuna fears this as she hangs around with Shirou and Ilya, noting that as times goes on that if more Infinity +1 Element-users join then she won't be relevant anymore as they're the ones doing the majority of the damage on the front-lines.
- Elemental Powers: She's came out on top in terms of sheer number within the group with Water, Air, Fire, and Earth.
- Magical Incantation: She's experimenting with Arias, but nothing has clicked for her.
- Only Sane Woman: Out of the original group, she's the only one who has a normal viewpoint of things.
- Superpower Lottery: Has a good number of circuits and access to four elements total right out of the gate.
SilicaA young dagger-wielder who befriends Ilya and is a fan of Shirou's activities as the [Sixth Ranger].
- Animal-Eared Headband: A Magical Accessory to match her Element and serve as an aid to enter [Mindset of the Beast].
- The Beast Master: She trains a number of Familiars to help her in battle.
- Charm Person: Her [Mystic Eyes of Charm] influence the emotions of others to turn hostile opponents into a neutral or even friendly state.
- Fangirl: Of Shirou as the Sixth Ranger.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Before meeting Ilya she desired this more than anything, wanting to be on the Front-Lines.
- Infinity +1 Element: Her Element is [Beast] and because of it her [Reinforcement] gives her even sharper senses than most others.
- Knife Nut: Uses a dagger as her main weapon.
- Magical Eye: She's given [Mystic Eyes of Charm] by 16.2.
- Panthera Awesome: One of her familiars is a six-legged Sabertooth-Tiger named Tama-chan.
- Token Mini-Moe: Of the guild, she's the youngest.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Ships Shirou/Diabel.
LeviathanA Player who was recently recruited into the guild because of his element, he doesn't feel like he belongs. Word of God is he's the character who would go on to be Behemoth in GGO.
- Blood Magic: His element is geared towards using Blood, but he hasn't really experimented with it seeing as blood was only introduced in a later patch.
- Can't Catch Up: His element is [Blood], which wasn't unlocked until the 5th floor, and he's only on the Front Lines because of Ilya wanting him to join for his element rather than his skill. In his own words, he had a bad start and didn't want to catch up, but he couldn't say no to Ilya. He's a mediocre Rear-Liner around people like [The Sixth Ranger].
- Dark Is Not Evil: Leviathan's sword had blood added to the molten metal and was quenched in blood. Ordinarily such a process would create a heavily cursed weapon, but because all of the blood was created and willingly given by Leviathan it is only dark.
- Infinity +1 Element: Has the [Blood] element.
- Mana Potion: He can make highly efficient Mana Potions with his element. He made and sold them to Agil to stay afloat when he was a Rear Liner.
- The Power of Blood: Blood is all kinds of useful in magic. The sword Shirou makes for him with the assistance of Leviathan's magecraft is more aligned with blood than any weapon Shirou has ever heard of.
- White Magic: He eventually learns healing magic.
RosalinaLeader of [Titan's Hand] guild, she and her guild become subsidiary members of Ilya after killing another group of players.
- Control Freak: Very much enjoys being in control of her guild members and views all of their actions in terms of how it benefits or undermines her authority.
- Even Evil Has Standards: She doesn't really care about killing other Players or losing one of her own beyond the inconvenience, but Laughing Coffin puts her off due to their depravity. PoH in particular concerns her as he seems like the kind of person who would, or already has, killed people in real life for no reason.
- Evil Redhead: Leader of a Guild that robs Mid-Liners.
- Oh, Crap!: Briefly when encountering Ilya for the first time and seeing she was a [Titled Player].
- Pragmatic Villainy: She doesn't join up with [Laughing Coffin] because she doesn't want to play subordinate to someone else, but also because PoH is clearly a different brand of evil. She typically works by paralyzing and then robbing Mid-Liners without killing them because it attracts Front-Liners, and when Ilya does show up she joins up because when the game is cleared they'll get good PR for just being part of a clearing group and because she suspects Kayaba doesn't actually kill the dead players(she's right) and there would be consequences on Game Release if they were found out to be an Orange Guild.
KuradeelA Mid-liner hoping to break into the Front-Lines, he was scouted into the guild by Ilya.
- The Beastmaster: Ilya intends to make him a devil-tamer.
- BFS: He prefers to use Greatswords.
- Cool Sword: The sword Shirou made for him, forged from [Metal Slime Essence].
- Draw Aggro: His element shades his spells so that they do this.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: He hates being consoled.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Essentially, he hates being looked down on and wants respect more than anything. Ilya acknowledging his [Rare Element] and Shirou complimenting him and giving him a Cool Sword is enough to make him loyal to their guild for life.
- Gaining the Will to Kill: In his case, he already has the will to kill. Shirou has to warn him not to be consumed by it.
- Glass Cannon: He believes in the best defense being a good offense as a tank.
- Glory Seeker: A bit of one. He'll actually work to get it though.
- Hearing Voices: His [Mystic Eyes of Whisper] creates false sensory perceptions in the mind of his enemies, primarily in the form of disconcerting auditory hallucinations.
- Infinity +1 Element: Has the [Bogeyman] element.
- Magical Eye: Gains the [Mystic Eyes of Whisper] by 16.2 from Ilya.
- Things That Go "Bump" in the Night: His element is [Bogeyman], a variation of the [Sixth Imaginary Element], a type of [hypothetical devil] that materializes from human thoughts. In particular it's constrained to the idea of monsters with an unknown form that lurk in the shadows, unseen, that kind of thing.
A guild started by Diabel to serve as a Front-Line clearing group.
DiabelA "Rune Knight" who organized and led the raid against the boss of the first floor. He is another beta tester who was renowned for Player Killing but changed to cope with the Death Game.
- Action Politician: Having worked at the National Diet, Diabel plans to use his accomplishments leading the Players to bolster his career after Game Over.
- Adaptational Heroism: Unlike canon, while he's somewhat of a glory-seeker, he really does have everyone's best interest at heart and protects his men.
- Characterization Marches On: Over the course of the story Diabel grows from the glory-hoarding Beta-Tester he was in canon, into an inspiring leader who genuinely cares about setting an example for his men, and who's first priority is making sure there are as few casualities as possible. A later chapter from his point of view expands on his cunning, showing that he intends to use his efforts to guide and protect players to bolster his political career.
- Guile Hero: He plays politics like Shirou uses swords. He pretty much made himself the boss of [Thinker] by the fifth floor and he did it legally. His only regret so far is that he couldn't get Shirou to work for him since Ilya had gotten him first.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Has a Kite Shield that he uses with a sword.
- Magic Knight: His player build.
- Magnetic Hero: Acknowledge by many as one of the most charismatic heroes in the game.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Played with, as he acknowledges he's not as strong as Ilya, Shirou or Kirito and is jealous of them at first. But he acknowledges the one thing he is better at than them: leading.
- Red Baron: The Rune Knight.
- Supporting Leader: Not as strong as the protagonist, he makes it up by being a superior leader. A brief segment told through his point of view while fighting a boss revealed that, despite having powerful equipment, he hadn't actually fought the entire battle as he was focused on directing the battle.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Nearly killed by Illfang like canon, but Shirou managed to save him.
- Troll: To Liz in 10.2 with Accidental Innuendo between himself and Shirou. And he enjoyed it.
- Why Did It Have To Be Bugs: He doesn't like bugs. Then came the 3rd Floor Boss...
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He dyes it at a Salon.
KibaouA mace-wielding player who follows Diabel, he practices [Runes] as well.
- Adaptational Heroism: He's much more of a team-player than in Canon.
- Having a Blast: He uses his Rune magecraft to put explosive runes on his swords and explode them into hot shrapnel.
- Hidden Depths: He's a surprisingly good architect in real life and it transfers into the game.
- Home Field Advantage: Because every bit of housing made in Elvengrad has a plaque with his name as the one who designed them, he's the most magically connected person to the town.
- Named Weapons: His [Phoenix Sword], because he explodes and then reforges them. Shirou takes the history and uses [Alteration] to apply it to an arrow, killing the 10th boss.
- Reforged Blade: Every time he uses the [Phoenix Sword] it ends up broken, but he reforges it himself to continue to do it.
- Spiky Hair: So much so that Kirito mentally refers to him as [Cactus] in his thoughts.
- Took a Level in Kindness: He becomes much more pleasant to be around later in the story.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Shirou saved the healer in his party, saved Diabel, and finished Illfang off, and he still has a hate-on for him. Ilya has more than once called him out on this. He lightens up later on the 4th and 5th floor.
HexadecimalA player who that parties with both the Brotherhood and Paladins often, he is friends with Itagaki and One Snow.
- Alpha Strike: His [Nazar: Converge] spell causes all his discarded weapons to fly towards an enemy. With enough done weapons out, it's this.
- Cool Mask: Wears a ninja mask.
- Bag of Holding: He uses a Bible to store his cursed tools. The irony wasn't lost on Griselda.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: He doesn't want people's pity for his friend's deaths, or more specifically, he doesn't want others dictating how he felt about it.
- Dual Wielding: Uses two weapons at once.
- Eye Spy: Using a glove and emblem, he can see through anything with the same eye emblem.
- Magical Eye: He Gained the [Mystic Eyes of Binding] from Ilya as her first student.
- Magical Incantation: His Arias are "Athame:" for regular curses and "Nazar:" for eye related ones.
- Magic Prerequisite: In order to use the [Mystic Eyes] it requires a [Sorcery Trait] installed by Ilya.
- Multi-Melee Master: He uses a ton of weapons, including maces, rapiers, swords, axes, bolas, throwing weapons, etc.
- No Eye in Magic: Averted. It's mentioned that he's advanced to the point he no longer needs to make eye contact with his opponent for his [Mystic Eye] to take effect.
- People Puppets: His control eventually gets to the point where he can manipulate NPCs and others.
- Perception Filter: He gains a spell that acts, as another character refers to, like a Notice-Me-Not spell from Harry Pooter.
- Shadow Pin: The [Lock] spell.
- Spell Blade: His fighting style is to use weapons that inflict some form of curse.
- Take Up My Sword: He gives up his sword [Gram] to Griselda after chapter 17.2, feeling unworthy of it.
- Took a Level in Badass: By chapter 17.2, he's gotten skilled enough that he can clear a dungeon on his own through the use of curses and a perception filter spell.
- Useless Useful Non-Combat Abilities: He has the crafting skill, something normally not useful for a Front-Liner but he wanted to make a mask of his own. He uses it to bribe Ilya into taking him as an apprentice, make Silica's headband, and give Shirou a mask fitting the Sixth Ranger.
One SnowA High-School Senior who holds a position in his Kendo club, he is frequently seen around Itagaki and Hexadecimal. He is a two-handed sword user.
- Always Someone Better: While not outwardly loud or bragging about it, as a National-Level Kendoka he always held the opinion that while he wasn't the best player, he was at least one of the best sword-users in terms of pure skill...Then he witnessed Shirou against [Kari-Ya the Fettered] and was thoroughly humbled since he couldn't keep up at all.
- Character Death: Killed by [Worm Master Zolgen].
- Heroes Prefer Swords: As a former Kendo-ka.
- Living Weapon: He was trying to make a Slime-Familiar into a sword. He even called it a Zanpakuto.
- Razor Wind: Creates a vacuum and sends it forward with a slash.
ItagakiA High-School girl who was a casual gamer before being trapped in the game, she was uses polearm weapons as they match her skill as captain of her school's Naginata club.
A guild of players who revel in killing other players, so far the five "inner circle" members have been introduced.
Tropes shared by the Laughing Coffin members.
- Black Cloak: The official uniform of the guild is a tattered black cloak over their personal outfits.
- Somebody Else's Problem: Their response to the demon they summoned.
Johnny BlackA player who's goal is to live life to the Rule of Cool, he finds the circumstances of the Death Game just fine.
- For the Evulz: He does a lot of things for a laugh, many not good. In the omake, he ends up getting along with Gilgamesh and Kotomine just fine.
- Knife Nut: Wields a dagger in battle.
- Laughably Evil: Will crack jokes after he stabs you.
- Laughing Mad: He's clearly not all that sane.
- Magic Feather: He uses [Sugar Pills] to activate his [Reinforcement] Spell via Placebo Effect.
- Master Poisoner: The dude likes poison so much his Unique Spells are [Project Poison] and [Reinforce Poison].
- Poisoned Weapons: Typically coats his dagger in a paralyzing poison.
- Rule of Cool: Lives by it.
- Tempting Fate: Does this purposely after barely escaping a demon they couldn't control in the first place.
Red-Eyes XaXaA player who partnered with Johnny Black.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to Johnny Black and PoH.
- Poisoned Weapons: He coats his Rapier in an [Agility Poison].
- Weapon of Choice: Rapier weapons.
PoHA Orange-player who met with Johnny Black and Red-Eyes Xaxa, he follows the [Law of Nature] that since they are in a game he can do whatever he wants.
- Black Cloak: Wears one early on and makes it the official uniform of the guild.
- For the Evulz: He hides it well, but under all that justification the reason he's an Orange player boils down to this.
- Master of Illusion: Made an illusion spell to mask his cursor as a [Green Player] when he's [Orange Player].
- Not Afraid to Die: He was fine with being killed or killing Johnny Black during their duel.
- Pure Energy: He's capable of using the [Ether] element and using it to make [Ether Threads].
- Stealth Expert: He uses his element to mask his Magecraft and [Hiding] skill to mask himself, making him unnoticeable.
- Sore Loser: He's admits as much.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: He helps Orcs take over a village, then promptly challenges the leader to a duel and kills him. The Orcs and Ogres quickly fall in line and he makes the [Safe Zone] LK's headquarters.
PawnzerA new member of Laughing Coffin.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Proudly proclaims herself as the oldest "Criminal Player" in the game, having gone permanently yellow even before the Official Launch.
- For the Evulz: It's mentioned she's competing with Johnny in this department.
- In the Hood: Wears a squarish sack with eyeholes.
- Official Couple: With Wonderful.
- Poisonous Person: She uses different kinds of gases, such as chlorine.
WonderfulA new member of Laughing Coffin.
Tropes shared by the Black Cats of the Full Moon members.
- Pure Energy: By pure chance all of their members have the Ether Element.
- Took a Level in Badass: It's subtle, but they steadily become more competent that, by chapter 16.3, they manage to kill the Pied Piper.
KeitaLeader of the guild.
- An Axe to Grind: He can equip axes, but mostly to harvest with Trees with [Forestry Skill].
- Combos: Keita can have his familiars attack in a ritual like a combo, peeling away the defenses of the foe before letting Ducker get a critical hit.
- Familiar: Keita uses Animate Inanimate Object to serve him in battle, using his [Furniture Making] to create furniture that can fight in his place.
- Invisibility: He uses this spell in conjunction with his familiar to create an invisible cloth shield.
- The Leader: He retained his position as leader among the Black Cats from their time together in the Computer Study Club.
- Marionette Master: He doesn't actually fight himself. He has his Familiars do the fighting while he supports them with spells.
- Master of Illusion: He knows some simple illusions.
- Simple Staff: He carries one into battle.
The Tank of the group
- Carry a Big Stick: He uses a Single-Handed Mace.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Carries a shield to protect himself.
- The Medic: Of the group he's the best with healing spells, but he only knows the [Cure] spell.
DuckerThe scout of the group.
- Chameleon Camouflage:He has a [Camo Cloak] that blends into the surroundings.
- Everything Is Better With Explosions: He uses grenades.
- Invisibility: He later learns how to go invisible to set up sneak attacks.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: His [Divination] spells work this way, allowing him to use [Douse Item] with his element as long as he's found it once.
- Stealth Expert: He plays this role, sneaking around the battlefield and setting up a Trick Bomb. If he knew how to hide his circuit activity he'd be nearly perfect at it.
SasamaruThe main damage dealer of the group.
- Blow You Away: Has access to the [Air] element
- Elemental Powers: Has access to three of the five traditional elements: Air, Ether, and Fire.
- Flaming Sword: He uses the [Heat Hawk] spell on his spear, creating this effect.
- Playing with Fire: He has the [Fire] element.
SachiThe only girl of the group, Sachi lacks any real proficiency in combat but wants to make sure her friends are safe.
- Familiar: Initially, her biggest contribution to the group is to support the [Mules] they use.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: She's an archer, but her DPS actually decreased from when she used a spear because she's a really lousy shot.
- Hidden Depths:
- Sachi understood the [Sympathy Principle] of [Numerology] right off the bat.
- Shirou suspects Sachi has potential to be far more powerful but her timid nature is holding her back.
- Mana Drain: Sachi learned how to transfer Mana to and from her guildmates.
- Projectile Spell: Kirito taught her the [Magic Missile] spell, but her reserves were higher than his so the shots come out the size of basketballs.
- Superpower Lottery: She has one of the highest mana reserves in the game.
- Support Party Member: Sacchi's ability to provide the group additional defense through [Key of the Guild], maintain familiars, and use her large mana reserves to bolster everyone else's makes her an excellent supporting caster.
LindThe Leader of the Divine Dragon Alliance, she has a rivalry with Diabel and leads one of the other major clearing groups.
- Action Girl: She personally takes to the front with her guild and faced [Kari-Ya the Fettered].
- Blade on a Stick: Wields a Halberd in combat. Shirou eventually forges her one entirely composed of Noble metals, primarily Iridium, Osmium, and Platinum, that's so heavy that it can only properly function as a weapon through the use of Lind's gravity manipulating magecraft.
- Red Baron: Known as the [Lady in Steel].
- Selective Gravity: Her Magecraft revolves around manipulating Gravity to increase the weight of her blows and more.
KleinLeader of the [Fuurinkazan] Guild, he's one of Kirito's friends who he first met during the beginning of the game.
- Arrows on Fire: Learned to apply the [Heat Hawk] spell to his arrow.
- Bow and Sword, in Accord: He and his Guild all trained in the use of their Bow skills for the 10th floor.
- The Engineer: His entire guild were all graduates of engineering college, so they rate amongst the best when it comes to mechanical device engineering.
- Katanas Are Just Better: He's a Katana-User.
- Martial Arts Headband: Has one as part of his uniform.
- Nice Guy: Shirou pegs him as one of these rather quickly.
- Playing with Fire: He uses the [Fire Element] to augment his swings.
AgilAn Ax-wielding Shop-Owner
- Adam Smith Hates Your Guts: The dude charges some high rates. One of his friends even commented he's tighter than Argo.
- An Axe to Grind: Uses these in combat.
- An Entrepreneur Is You
- The Bartender: In Real Life. It transfers over in the game as the [Brewing] skill when he makes potions.
- Elemental Powers: He's an [Average One], meaning he's got equal affinity for all five elements. The only reason he didn't win the Superpower Lottery is because he only has one circuit to go with it.
- Scary Black Man: In appearance only, he's actually a pretty Cool Old Guy.
ArgoA friend and fellow beta tester of Kirito. Within SAO she works as a Knowledge Broker and Courier.
- Alchemy Is Magic: Shirou starts teaching her some Alchemy since it has good synergy with her element.
- Extra Oredinary: Her element is Metal.
- Facial Markings: She has whisker markings, which she applies with makeup.
- Knowledge Broker: Her bread and butter. There is little she doesn't know and if she doesn't she will find out.
- Un-Sorcerer: Doesn't have any circuits, meaning she can't gather prana to use as a spell. Shirou helps her get around this by making one.
LizA Mace-wielding blacksmith that provides service with a smile, she's the main one who keeps up and makes new weapons for most of the main characters.
- Always Someone Better: Shirou's better than her when it comes to making swords and it kinda grates on her because he constantly breaks them down to do it over each time.
- The Blacksmith: One of the best early on and mentored Shirou.
- Carry a Big Stick: She wields a mace when she fights.
- Young Entrepreneur
GriseldaA House Wife trapped in the game with her husband, Grimlock, she wants to participate more and truly live so she sets out to play the game by becoming a Magus.
- Action Girl: She fights up close with a sword.
- Happily Married: She loves her husband. He never once belittled her for her hobbies or habits like her parents did.
- The Leader: Of the [Sorcery Hunters] guild.
- Seeker Archetype: She and her guild specialize in looking for [Spells] and [Magecraft Instructors] that had been missed by the Front Liners.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
GrimlockA blacksmith who's married to Griselda and hesitates to play the Death Game at first because he is an actual Magus.
- Awesome by Analysis: Managed to figure out a bounded field before crossing it and its weaknesses to ensure his party's survival. He didn't even break a sweat.
- The Blacksmith: Stated to be one early on, he was the only one capable of making [Steel] from ingots until Shirou learned how to. After that undercut his business, he went to making Mystic Codes instead. They're Boring, but Practical and never backfire, working exactly how they are supposed to.
- Happily Married: He honestly loves Griselda.
- Insistent Terminology: When it comes to Magecraft, he uses the proper terminology, such as referring to the [Zombies] as [The Dead].
- Stepford Smiler: He wants to support his wife despite his reluctance in delving into Magecraft or playing along with Kayaba's scenario. The reason is that he's actually a Magus and is worried the Association will eliminate everyone involved. However, he may not actual apply for this trope, because he seems to genuinely love his wife and co. So while the smile may not be a lie, it IS hiding something.
Thinker:Leader of the [Aincrad Liberation Force] Guild, which represents the rights of Retired Players.
- Nice Guy: He's one of these.
- Vice-President Who?: Played with in that Thinker is essentially Diabel's replacement if he dies before Game Clear, but since he has no intention of dying its really a fill-in position. Just the same, Thinker is made to attend the meetings and get an understanding of how everything works to be safe.
KayabaThe Big Bad of the story responsible for trapping 10,000 people inside his game. In addition to being a brilliant game designer and software engineer, he is also a magus. He previously worked under Zouken Matou in an attempt to restore the Matou clan's magus lineage until Shinji's death during the Fifth Grail War.
- Broken Masquerade: He risks this by exposing so many people to the secret of magecraft and is actually his ultimate goal.
- Good with Numbers: Aside from being a brilliant programmer, Kayaba's magecraft is [Numerology]. And under the guise of an NPC named Ellis Bell, he's teaching Kirito.
- Stealth Mentor:
- Kayaba implemented the Death Game and Thaumuturgy Patch so he could forcibly educate the Players in magecraft without them realizing its real world applications.
- In a more direct example, Kayaba has been acting as a mentor to Kirito in the guise of the NPC Ellis Bell.
Slime BreederA player who constructed the Slime Farm, he's more than a little excited about the possibilities of slimes.
- Everything Is Better With Explosions: He made the first grenades in the series by purifying [Red Slime Essence] through alchemy. A bit of prana to make it unstable, and you have three-to-five seconds before it goes boom.
- Mad Scientist: He's... well, enthusiastic about slimes. He constructed the slime farm on his own, selectively breeds them from their spore drops, and then experiments with their extracted essence to eventually create in-game grenades. One of his long-term projects is the creation of a two-color slime. The fourth generation on are capable of speech; before that they could only suffer.