Someone who's the "best in the world" at something. May face The Perils of Being the Best, and if so, they go there instead, as this would be a pre-requisite. Also related to Ultimate Life Form, The Ace, and Always Someone Better.
Overly Narrow Superlative can make a character this, that they wouldn't be otherwise.
- Dream Team: For a team full of such characters.
- Fastest Gun in the West
- Fastest Thing Alive
- Godlike Gamer: The best player of a Video Game.
- King of Games: The best player of multiple games, beyond Video Games.
- The Perils of Being the Best
- UltimateGamer386: The player known as the best in a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.
- World's Best Warrior
- World's Most Beautiful Woman
- World's Smartest Man
- World's Strongest Man
- Carlsberg lager describes itself as probably the best lager in the world. This has been its advertising slogan for probably four decades.
- Naruto: Gaara of the Desert, as part of his control over sand, has an automatic sand shield that moves at supersonic speed to protect him, is harder than diamond, and due to not relying on Elemental Baggage is immune to most forms of Anti-Magic and Energy Absorption. This, combined with the sand armour he wears in case the shield is breached, has lead him to become known as the greatest Stone Wall of the ninja world, with his sand powers being known as "The Absolute Defence".
- Batman (Bruce Wayne) is the World's Greatest Detective.
- Changeling Space Program & The Maretian: The Maretian: By way of an Overly Narrow Superlative. After the ponies spent a sol, on Mars, grooming for photos sent to NASA, Mark proudly claims, "I am, after all, the most popular and exclusive spa host on the whole planet."
- Elementals of Harmony: My Little Praetor: In "Immune Response", by Discord, says to a trapped Celestia about Twilight being the best at "power", after a few events:
Your so-called 'faithful student' will wipe the floor with Princess Scary Butt Fun.
"After that, with you imprisoned and your mother and me as we are, young Twilight will be, without exaggeration, the most powerful being in the universe. Worse, she will be free of the twin shackles that normally keep her in check: her own humility and the thought of your disapproval.
- Oversaturated World: Group Precipitation: "Pre-Patch Exploit, by Masterweaver": Due to a comment by Flurry Heart on Cinch's grumpiness:
When Abacus Cinch learned why she'd found herself wearing a hideous sweater that read "World's Grumpiest Gran" and drinking from a similarly captioned mug, her only response was, "You are all tremendously fortunate that my great-granddaughter is as adorable as she is."
- Story Shuffle 2: Double Masters: Along with Great Detective, as the "Table of Contents" says about "Finding Evil by Moonlight", along with a reference to Batman:
Twilight calls in Equestria's greatest detective. No, not that bat.
- Tales of the Canterlot Deportation Agency: Luna Vs. The Law Machine: "Cleaning Up The Town": Describing the creator of a dystopian law enforcement machine:
Luna:"And the entity who created these devices?"
Tess: "Was the universe's biggest jerk."
- Avengers: Age of Ultron: When Steve Rogers is being a Shipper on Deck between Bruce Banner and Natasha Romanoff, he calls himself "the world's leading authority on waiting too long":
Steve Rogers: That's nice.
Bruce Banner: What...what is?
Steve: You and Romanoff.
Bruce: No, we haven't...that wasn't-
Steve: (chuckling) It's okay. Nobody's breaking any by-laws. It's just she's not the most... open person in the world. But with you, she seems very relaxed.
Bruce: No, Natasha, she... she likes to flirt.
Steve: I've seen her flirt. Up close. This ain't that. Look, as maybe the world's leading authority on waiting too long, don't. You both deserve a win.
- Pink Flamingos: Divine is very proud of her title of "filthiest person alive". The plot revolves around her rivalry with two other degenerates, Raymond and Connie, who want to take that title for themselves.
- Accel World: In the Accelerated World, all duel avatars are granted a unique colour as part of their name, reflecting their abilities (e.g. the closer an avatar's shade is to red, the better its attack range). While some of these can get pretty esoteric (the protagonist's group once had subcommanders with the colours of Sky, Aqua, Graphite and Ardor) the leaders of the seven main factions are the Kings of Pure Colour (Red Rider, Yellow Radio, Green Grandee, Blue Knight, Purple Thorn, Black Lotus, and White Cosmos) each of whom takes a single colour affinity to its Logical Extreme.note After Red Rider's death, he was succeeded by Scarlet Rain, who is mocked for not fitting the convention.
- DFZ: Opal Yong-ae, the protagonist, was genetically engineered to be the strongest mage alive. It almost worked—in pure strength, she is literal orders of magnitude stronger than the average mage, and in fact is a good bit stronger than what was previously thought to be the human limit. Unfortunately, she has no head for thaumaturgy, and even when using pre-made spells off the internet, everything inevitably explodes in her face. She mostly just grabs huge amounts of magic and throws it at her problems. Her strength turns out to be the problem; thaumaturgy is designed for the average mage. While it can of course handle people quite a bit weaker or stronger than average, she's so far off baseline that her power blows straight through any spellwork that might contain it.
- In the 1960s Doctor Who serial "The War Machines", one of the scientists developing WOTAN insists it's the most advanced computer in the world despite it not being the biggest.
- Gekisou Sentai Carranger: Each Monster of the Week claims to be "the universe's best" at what they do. This ranges from "universe's best mechanic" to "universe's best beautician".
- The Charlie Daniels Band song "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" is about a fiddle playing duel between the Devil and a boy named Johnny who boasts that he's "the best that's ever been." Johnny pretty much proves it by winning the contest.
- Since The '80s, Bret Hart has this gimmick, being "The Best There Is, the Best There Was and the Best There Ever Will Be". Bret also has the Red Baron of being "The Excellence of Execution".
- CM Punk's main gimmick is also being the "Best in the World", quote also included in his t-shirt (in the back) and in his titantron.
- Forget Me Not: My Organic Garden: The doctor Man, after recieving 70 Kidneys to practice on:
Man: Hehehe. Just you watch. I'll become the best surgeon in the world!
Irene: ...Maybe I should stop him now?
- In Pokémon Gold and Silver and its remakes, Clair arrogantly declares herself to be the "Worlds best Dragon-Type master". This adds more emphasis to her general ego and refusal to treat the player respectfully, as once you beat her she refuses to accept that it was possible and still doesn't think you're worthy of the badge. At the same time, it's made clear that her cousin Lance, another Dragon user, generally outclasses her and is supposedly the only other trainer who defeated her at that point, making her claim dubious at best.
- Princess Maker: In Refine, the first time the daughter tries working as a Lumberjack, she's greeted by her supervisor with this:
Yo, I'm the world's best lumberjack, Satomichi!
- Danganronpa: The characters have Ultimate Talents, meaning they are the absolute best there is in a specific area, although, that's the official English translation. In Japanese, it's just "Super High School-Level" Talents. The talents themselves can range from understandable to entirely nonsensical. For example, compare Ultimate Artist, Ultimate Detective, Ultimate Cook and Ultimate Swimmer to Ultimate Lucky Student, Ultimate Despair, Ultimate Supreme Leader and Ultimate Affluent Progeny.
- Not a Villain: From page 229: Bandit presumably "the best [programmer] in the world". Which Kat is angry at, because she's secretly truly the best.
- Oglaf: There's a guy who is "cursed" to be the best ever at blowjobs. This serves him well, as he is able to use his blowjob skills to defeat an invading army, which promotes him from a low-level soldier into a king.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: What Xin Fu calls Toph in regards to Earthbending before she uses her Extra-ore-dinary abilities, and then she turns it back on him and claims the title after she traps him and his companion inside a metal box:
Xin Fu: You might think you're the greatest Earthbender in the world, but even you can't bend metal!
Toph: I AM THE GREATEST EARTHBENDER IN THE WORLD!!! And don't you two dunderheads ever forget it!
- South Park: The episode "More Crap" depicts Bono as a competitive asshole who wants to be "number-one" at everything and can't stand being "number-two", because he's actually a number-two.
- Cars: Mater describes himself as "the World's Best Back-Wards Driver."
- In Cars 2 when Mater is on the racetrack trying to warn Lightning about the bomb, announcer Darrell Cartrip says he doesn't know who that is, "but he's got to be the world's best backwards driver."