In Oversaturation itself, Equestrian magic leaks into the human world at a slow but exponentially increasing rate after the events of Rainbow Rocks, with the main cast racing to find a way to keep the buildup from causing the end of the world. The rest of the collection explores the consequences of their precise way of doing so.
Canon stories set in the Oversaturated World:
- What Shy Did On Her Summer Vacation
- Rise of the Wholesome
- Crossworlds Guardian, Sailor Orbital!
- Playing Hero
- Then Goes the Neighborhood
- Fey Breeze
- Unfriendly Competition
- Blue Sunny Days and Pink Lemonade
- Getting the Band Back Together
- Go, Emps!
Canon short stories set in the Oversaturated World:
- Story Shuffle:
- One Day I Found a Multiverse in My Pajamas
- Silicon Tiara
- House of Shadows
- Investigating Legends
- The One that Shot Away
- Pest Control
- My Sister, My Sister and Me
- Mosh Pit
Semi-canon stories set in the Oversaturated World:
Oversaturation spoilers in Post-Saturation stories are unmarked.
The Oversaturated World provides examples of:
- Abstract Apotheosis: Equestria's Tree of Harmony almost forcibly ascends Sunset into becoming the Catalyst of Harmony for the human world. This involves a sequence where Sunset perceives herself as human, pony, and a humanoid sun all at the same time.
- Alliterative Name:
- Sunset Shimmer
- Pinkie Pie
- Ditzy Doo
- All There in the Manual: Some background details of the verse aren't covered in any of the fics proper, but on the group forum FAQ. There are even details from an otherwise unrelated series of oneshots and an old blog post by the author thrown in, the latter of which is for chromelanin, linked in Amazing Technicolor Population.
- Amazing Technicolor Population:
- Actually a plot point! This is explained by the existence of chromelanin, a form of melanin that forms in the presence of magic to cause unusual colorations. This is one of the many clues that humans are more magical than first thought...
- Answer Cut: From Tones:who'd want a school full of disharmony?
[Cut to Discord, the spirit of Disharmony, or at least his human version.]
- Apocalypse How: The interference of Equestrian magic with the human world draws the two universes closer together, which theoretically could result in the simultaneous annihilation of both realities. Most of the first fic is about how the characters handle this. A lesser version is narrowly averted by Sunset repurposing the Perception Filter to prevent global panic and nuclear fallout after the situation is fixed.
- Barrier Maiden: Sunset Shimmer becomes the human world's Spirit of Harmony, using almost all of her power just to hold the universe together and a lot of the rest to repair the damage done to it. If she leaves that world any time in the next century, it will only last for a few hours in her absence.
- Bland-Name Product: All over the place: EweTube, Gillion, and Hocus-Pocus: the Get-Together to name but a few. Many have some manner of horse pun.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Pinkie, as part of her developing powers, has a conversation with the narration/narrator about it leaving the room so she can change into her pyjamas in private.
- Deadly Force Field: From Oversaturation, in Clashing: Sunset's reflexive shield spell is a green barrier "that redirected the force, combining offense and defense".
- Everyone is a Super: The end of Oversaturation has this happen to the human race. Of course, a few are more super than others...
- Extra-Strength Masquerade: The human world's magic facilitates its own masquerade, actively resisting any attempts to study it.
- Exact Words: As said in Tones: Discord (a science teacher in this setting) wanted to build a research facility at CHS. Principal Celestia told him he could add anything, so long as it was not a human testing installation. So he built the "Not A Human Testing Installation." Which is, of course, a human testing installation.
- Funetik Aksent: As seen in Neutrals, Applejack's speech is written with one:Ah'm wearin' shorts under mah skirt.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Color-titles:
- Luminescent Blush: From Neutrals, when Rarity was showing her cutie mark to Sunset, and raised her skirt up:Sunset knelt and stared for a good minute
Finally, Rarity cleared her throat and shoved her skirt back down, her face almost incandescent. Did you enjoy yourself?"
- The Magic Comes Back: Well, it never really went away, it was just hiding, but now humans have magic too.
- Mass Super-Empowering Event: The Saturation, which gives everyone on the planet some kind of magical ability. Most are based on pony magic.
- Meaningful Name: Inherited from My Little Pony: Equestria Girls, with the names of the human analogues of ponies, with names that describe the person.
- Measuring the Marigolds: In Contrast, the idea is countered:The sun rose, and Mr. Discord stood on his lawn to greet it. He loved moments like this, when the sky and shadows changed, when the crispness in the air made it feel like it would crinkle if he moved too quickly, where the beauty of the natural world was fully manifest. Understanding the optics, the fluid dynamics, and all the other myriad secrets behind moments like this didn't lessen their beauty, it enhanced them. To watch the rising sun was to gaze into the inner workings of the universe.
- One-Word Title: Multiple instances:
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: After the pony Mane Six defeat Starlight Glimmer, Discord pops in and cuts off his own banter to get them back to Twilight's castle as quickly as possible. Even he is worried.
- Portmantitle: Oversaturation is one, by virtue of being a compound word. Over + Saturation.
- Power Incontinence: One sign of the situation worsening in Oversaturation is the Rainbooms transforming and staying that way.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: From Tones:After Vinyl shut the door, she turned to face Sunset. "What. The. Actual. Fuck." With every word, she stalked a step closer, forcing Sunset back until she was pinned against the opposite wall.
- Take a Third Option: At the end of Oversaturation, Sunset seems locked in a binary choice: Remove all pony magic from the human world or turn it into a second Equestria, ponies and all. She asks the human world magic what it wants to do. Magic chose to meld them together.
- Wham Line: "Well, in so many words, we, uh, we found evidence of human magic."Sunset awoke to the sound of her journal buzzing. She flipped it open. The message she found was scrawled across the whole page.
Get to the portal.
- When Dimensions Collide: The interference of Equestrian magic with the human world draws the two universes closer together, which theoretically could result in the simultaneous annihilation of both realities. Most of the first fic is about how the characters handle this.
- World-Healing Wave: The Saturation happened in a single instant, changing magic to prevent the end of the world and reassured everyone that everything was going to be fine.
- Wrong Context Magic: Equestrian magic is leaking into the human world causing the problem in the first place. And it behaves nothing like the more subtle magic of the human world, which Sunset Shimmer has no clue how to study.
- Adjective Noun Fred: Crossworlds Guardian, Sailor Orbital!.
- Aerith and Bob: Aerith and Bob are newsanchors in Group Precipitation's Supernal. And also Aerith and Bob compared to the Meaningful Names of most of the other characters.
- Affectionate Parody: The characters of Sailor Orbital are openly aware they're modeling themselves off an expy of the Sailor Moon franchise. They're having the time of their lives.
- A God I Am Not: After Sunset's Abstract Apotheosis into the human world's Tree of Harmony, people start up religions around her and pray to her. She's extremely uncomfortable with this, as she's still a high school student. Played mostly for laughs.
- Alien Blood: The alien Vaucoi bleed orange.
- Alliterative List: How Ditzy described pizzas in Go, Emps! - And Keep on Going!calorie-crowded, heart-harming, sodium-stuffed, cancer-causing, fat-filled pizzas.
- Alliterative Title: A few, some are:
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Subverted in the Group Precipitation story "Paler Living Through Chemistry". When Applejack was younger, her parents bought her some cheap soap that caused her to lose all her chromelanin. She jokingly refers to herself as a freak, even though she's the only one of the girls with a (to us) normal skin tone.
- An Ice Person: Sailor Comet's 'variable output ice sprayer' weapon.
- As You Know: How Chapter 6 of Sailor Orbital starts:"So as most of you know, we are here today to form a strike group with the intention of gathering enough data to unlock a portal to a secret moon base and gain access to an ancient stargate network spread out across the planet whilst simultaneously dealing with a potential invasion of hostile extra-terrestrials through said stargate network."
- A Rare Sentence: As said in Two Pink Girls Yelling at Each Other, by Masterweaver - Group Precipitation:"OH YEAH, [LYRA]'S THE GIRL THAT'S SECRETLY A UNICORN RIGHT?!"
"ABSOLUTELY! AND THAT IS A RARE SENTENCE!"
- Bag of Holding: The magical pocket dimensions that the Crossworlds Guardian Emergency Worker Uniforms are connected to that can store items weightlessly.
- Becoming the Costume: In Living Nightmares:Darth Rarity, Sweetie Skywalker, Chief Engineer Applebloom 'Scotty' Scot, Invader Spike, and Rainbow Caboose.
"Don't take magical inspiration from Peppy the Vampire Stabber?"
- Bland-Name Product: They continue from Oversaturation. Gillion makes more appearances. A continuously updated list is here.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Lemon Zest in Rutaceae:Rainbow Dash: "Huh. You know, Twilight says they have high standards for scores [at Crystal Prep]. Why didn't you get kicked out?"
Lemon Zest: "Total legit genius. If I actually gave a shit I might have trumped Twilight... maybe."
- Burning with Anger: Chrysalis bursts into flame when she gets angry. The first time this happened, she accidentally burned off all her clothes before figuring it out.
- Caligula's Horse: Turns out to be the reason behind all the horse puns. Long ago, a certain king named his favorite horse as his heir. His royal court agreed that even a horse would make a better king than any of the king's real sons, so they upheld the appointment. Over time, clever politics and ridiculously good luck combined to allow the horse-ruled kingdom to conquer much of the world. Naturally, everything was renamed with horse puns under Glitterhoof's rule and that of his descendants, and those stuck around after the kingdom itself fell.
- Call a Human a "Meatbag": In Under Development, a body is referred to by Gillion as a "sack of meat".
- Calvin Ball: Criffleball is actually a subversion, as there's a completely comprehensible set of rules in the group forum. However, without those rules, the terminology and gameplay is extremely confusing to onlookers.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Afflicts Sugarcoat in Sugarcatharsis. At least, it does until she stops trying to force herself to say it nicely.
- Carry a Big Stick: Sailor Orbital gets a Mystic Mace."It's basically a mace, made with modern day technology, that can also generate magical pulses of energy for pushing back crowds."
- Classified Information: From Unfriendly Compeition - Dark Crystal, when Lyra asks Bon-Bon how her dad learned to do a sleeper hold:"Where'd you learn how to do a sleeper hold, anyway?"
"My dad taught me."
"Where'd he learn it?"
- Conlang: Wavetongue, the language of Sirens, with its own grammar and specific words for magic, and things.
- Compound Title: Every once in a while, like:
- The chapter titles of Blue Sunny Days and Pink Lemonade, which can be joined to form a single long sentence: It starts with a casual chat... ...then you're meeting up for 'practical' reasons...
- Group Precipitation's Traditions Old..., ...And New,
- Pest Control: Usually, ya let things just roll... ...and when issues crop up, ya try ta keep a level head... ...but sometimes, ya just gotta go big.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: After Oversaturation, Ditzy Doo becomes capable of tripping through seven dimensions and landing in a different universe than the one she started in. One Day I Found a Multiverse in My Pajamas explores her getting a grip on this ability.
- Drop the Hammer: Sailor Plasma's sledgehammer.
- Everyone Is Gay: Discussed in Sonnenunterganglied:Sunset: Sunset took a deep breath, then said, "I have to ask; given all the student bodies of all of the versions of Canterlot High, is there a single heterosexual girl among them?"
Derpy "Well, there's me."
- Excited Title! Two-Part Episode Name!: Sailor Orbital: Every chapter has Excited Phrase! Calmer Phrase. Like Chapter 2: Dangerous Energy Feeder! Woe of the Munarin.
- Excited Show Title!: Many:
- Crossworlds Guardian, Sailor Orbital!
- Go, Emps! - And Keep on Going!
- Expy: Sailor Luna is an expy of Sailor Moon, with the Theme Naming similarities and both being equally describable with:Energy draining monsters from another world are invading," ... "One cat seeks out a heroic team to fight them back," ... "A heroic team of teenage girls, searching for the moon princess!"
- Extra-Strength Masquerade: The mental filter that was used by human magic to keep itself from being hidden has been repurposed by the Sailor Orbital team and the Power Patriots to preserve their secret identities.
- Family Theme Naming: Alliterative Name family, Ditzy Doo, and her daughter, Dinky Doo.
- Fireballs: Discussed by Blue Oyster in regards to Raspberry Fluff:"You're going to be flinging around fireballs."
- Featureless Plane of Disembodied Dialogue: Group Precipitation is a collection where there are some minifics less than 200 words, so environmental description is sometimes non-existent:
- Yet Another Revolution, by Tophe:"Show some respect fer yer elders, Jackie, Ah ain't deaf!" barked Granny. "Ah understand that Shimmer girl turned inta a sun goddess and changed the world bah magic."
"Uh, good. You just seem weirdly... chill about all this."
Granny smiled. "Ye say tha world's changed forever. Ah've heard that before. They said it when Fence Gates invented tha Internet. They said it when they split tha atom. An' by gum, they'll say it again someday!""Ah don't think this is entirely comparable."
"They said that before too. Now, since y'all can lift fifty stone onehanded, there's some chores need doin'..."
- He'll Save Every One of Us, by Masterweaver and FoME:(Masterweaver)
"Huh. Flash Sentry made the news."
"Yeah, apparently he singlehandedly stopped a corrupt company from demolishing an orphanage using nothing but a slinkie, his guitar, and the power of apple pie."
"...Par for the course. Popcorn's ready."
"Ooo, good, movie's in two minutes!"
"Flash Sentry says he wasn't fully aware of what happened, but you were there with him. What can you tell us?"
Applejack put a hand over Pinkie's mouth. "No comment."
The reporter blinked. "But"
- Encoded Toil Inn, by Masterweaver:"Hey." Sonata grinned. "I was just thinking about how we all got back together."
Adagio groaned. "Oh, don't remind me. That experience was horrible."
"I dunno, I think it was kind of funny," Aria mused.
"Yeah, well, I was just wondering... what ever happened to that one guy? You know, the one that had the thing?"
"We left him at that theme park, remember?"
"Well, yeah, but—"
"Wait, I wasn't there for this. Who was this guy, and was the thing that thing?"
"It was indeed, that thing. See, here's what happened....."
- Yet Another Revolution, by Tophe:
- Flight: Something nearly every Pegasus Aspect can do, except for Scootaloo, as said in Launch Error:Sunset: Maybe unusual talents like your fate magic come at the cost of normal pegasus magic.
Sunset: I may have done this to you, Scootaloo. I'm sorry.
Scootaloo vaulted over her at ludicrous speed and, once more behind her, said, "I'm still pretty awesome. Just wanted to know why I couldn't get airborne."
- Funetik Aksent:
Show some respect fer yer elders, Jackie, Ah ain't deaf!
- In Yet Another Revolution, Granny Smith and Applejack's speech are written phonetically:
Ah don't think this is entirely comparable.
- Fun with Acronyms:
Ditzy: "Crossworlds Guardian Sailor Senshi Task Force!"
- From Sailor Orbital - Chapter 7, when discussing the team name:
Raspberry frowned. "The CGSSTF?"
Golden shrugged. "They can't all be backronyms."
"...What about 'Crossworlds Access Gate Enforcers'?" Raindrops suggested suddenly.
"That spells CAGE," Raspberry pointed out. "That's kind of the opposite of what we're doing. Also it sounds evil."
"No, hmm." Raspberry Fluff tapped her chin. "What about... what if we started with G for Gate?"
"There was the Gate Operations and Logistics Department," Kikai noted with some amusement. "It was not a paronomasia in the Munarin language, but if my wranglish is correct—"
"True, but we're securing the gates..." Raspberry gasped. "I got it! Gate Location and Orientation Squad... uh... Darn, I can't think of the rest of GLOSTICK."
"Okay, if we're going to be taking this seriously, how about the Interstellar Engagement Technology Enforcement and Naturalization Team?" Blue offered.
"INTENT? Intent on what?" Golden Harvest threw up her hands. "I'm still fine with CGSSTF."
I suspect this proposal was made largely for the acronym."
- Cool But Impractical talks about ESTABLISH, implied to be the "Equestrian Space-Time Administration Interdimensional League of SuperHeroes"
Celestia smirked. "It wouldn't be the first time. Remember SMILE and FROWN?"
"Wait a second, their acronym was S.M.I.L.E.?!"
- SMILE is "Specialized Mediation, Intelligence, Logistics and Equipment" as said in Playing Hero - The Revengers Initiative:
- Gem Tissue: Gems are embedded into Unicorn Aspects' heads as part of being a Unicorn Aspect.
- Giant Spider: Sour Sweet had a hallucination of spiders that got big, mentioned in With Great Sour.
- Giant Woman: Bonbon is made into one in Deluxe Bonbon:Suddenly, the oversized head of Bon Bon, poked over the roof of her girlfriend's home. "Um... before you do that, could you magic me up something to wear? My clothes didn't exactly grow with me..."
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Sailor Plasma fights with her martial arts knowledge.
- Hidden Depths: From Sailor Orbital - Chapter 6:"I can code an app for that," Raindrops added.
"...You can code?"
"Yep!" The yellow-skinned girl beamed. "Took a course. It was cool."
- Homosexual Reproduction: Discussed in Sugarcatharsis:Lemon burst out laughing and clapped Sugarcoat on the shoulder. "It's fantastic! She's like if you and Indigo had some weird magic lesbian baby." She turned to Twilight. "Hey, are magic lesbian babies a thing now?"
"I'll take that as a 'maybe.'"
- Hurricane of Puns: From Group Precipitation - Disservice Charge, by FoME about Discord calling with non-phone objects:make calls on objects including but not limited to a stove top, a banana, a deck of playing cards, a chunk of wood, and your own hand
Author's Note: For those keeping track, that's a burner phone, a bananaphone, a calling card, a xylophone, and, as Fred M Sloniker noted, a handset. :trollestia:
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Said word for word in Unfriendly Compeition - Dark Crystal, when Rarity fights Royal Pin:Rarity's next riposte reduced Royal's blade to quickly fading shards of magic, her eyes hard. "There's something you don't know, sir."
Royal swallowed. "And what is that?"
"I am not left-handed." Another length of force formed in Rarity's right hand. "I am ambidextrous." Several dozen more formed around her, arranged like a very pointy chrysanthemum and all pointed at Royal. "And then some."
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The title of Fey Breeze's first four chapters are all seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. The last is Appendices.
- Kid from the Future: Dinky Doo is Ditzy's, sent back from the future by Ditzy's future self so Dinky can spend time with a version of her mother.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre: Sonnenunterganglied:"You fly headfirst into your local analogue."
Ditzy nodded. "Good to know that I don't explode if I touch myself."
"Phrasing. The two of you manage to break a pipe with your impact."
- The Leader: Ditzy is set as the "general fighter and coordinator" for the Sailor Orbital team by Blue Oyster in Chapter 6 of Sailor Orbital.
- Magic Skirt: The Blue-Oyster-Altered Crossworlds Guardian Emergency Worker Uniforms have their skirts held down by magnets.
- Make-Out Kids: In Unfriendly Competition - Epilogue: Hard but Brittle: Sunset Shimmer checked up on Sour Sweet, and her boyfriend, who were both infected by dark magic:Her cheeks never seemed to stop even after the rest of her settled down.
"How are they?" said Twilight.
"Let's just say that Sour Sweet managed to purge the dark magic through the power of love," said Sunset, her gaze distant. "Love and all but eating her boyfriend's face."
- Meaningful Name: Inherited from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Revealed in a comment: Bobby Pin is said to have "got his start with (questionable) investigative journalism". With the implication that it involved lockpicks, as fitting his name. Aerith Metic "specializes in news polls and is just the biggest math nerd".
- Me's a Crowd: Twilight thought about cloning herself to clean up, in the Author's Note of A Glut of Rosy Pastries:Twilight: "What if I clone myself to clean up after th Ow!"
Sunset: "Thou shalt not clone."
Twilight: "I don't even worship you."
Sunset:"It's not a general commandment. I'm telling you to stop duplicating people. It never ends well."
- Mind over Matter: A standard Unicorn Aspect power is telekinesis, usually used for Mundane Utility:
- Group Precipitation - Vice Squad:Glimmer [Goodwitch], toying with her martinis olive in her telekinesis.
- Group Precipitation - Vice Squad:
- Multiarmed Multitasking: In One Day I Found a Multiverse in My Pajamas, Ditzy Doo gets to see the Oversaturated World from outside of it. A sixteen-armed Sunset Shimmer is literally holding the place together with twelve arms as she uses the rest to magically mend the cracks.
- Mythology Gag: Every time an event from My Little Pony: Equestria Girls or My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is referenced:
- Matte Shimmer: Referencing My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Magical Movie Night - Mirror Magic, with the magic mirror that is bought.
- Then Goes The Neighborhood: Referencing the time travel and related events of the Friendship Is Magic Season 5 Finale.
- A Glut of Rosy Pastries: Which references the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode, Too Many Pinkie Pies.
- Named After Someone Famous: Turns out that Rainbow Dash is named after one of the descendents of the legendary King Glitterhoof.
- Neural Implanting: In Sailor Orbital, Ditzy gets something beamed into her mind by Kikai No Kawa which is the first part of the magic that lets Kikai get Ditzy's information on the Wranglish language beamed into her mind.
- No Biochemical Barriers: Justified in Sailor Orbital, via magically 'aligning' oneself with a native. Blue Oyster is understandably miffed she was worried over nothing.
- Noodle Incident: How the Sirens got back together in Encoded Toil Inn. ... Don't get the joke? Encoded Toil Inn is an anagram for Noodle Incident.
- One Shot Fic: A few:
- Go, Emps!
- Mosh Pit
- One-Word Title: A lot. Some are:
- Group Precipitation has some of its chapters exhibit this:
- Fey Breeze:
- Our Ghouls Are Different: Discussed in Inevitable between Sunset and Twilight on whether to call the undead rats zombies or ghouls. Twilight says ghouls as "They still retain some some self-control."
- Our Zombies Are Different: Discussed. Is in combination with Our Ghouls Are Different, due to being a discussion on the difference between zombies and ghouls.
- Overwhelming Exception: From the Pest Control description:Applejack was just an ordinary farmer.
Well, true, she was best friends with an arguable deity, and yeah her little sister controlled part of fate subconsciously, and her social circle involved a crazy crew of characters that regularly got involved in wacky shenanigans, and she herself had helped to save the world a few times, and there was the possibility her principal was using the school to scout for super heroes, and technically she had acquired a skin condition that she had yet to see replicated by anybody else...
...but the point was, by most standards, she was an ordinary farmer. Not the kind of girl that went on adventures.
And then she developed a unique form of magic, just in time for the giant bug invasion.
- Pirate Booty: Discussed in Blue Sunny Days and Pink Lemonade - ...so at one point you meet up for no reason at all...:...You know what bugs me? Lemon finally managed.
Any semblance of order?
Why do pirates bury their treasure?
Sunny Flare blinked. Im... sorry?
I mean, you go out, raid a merchant ship, get this great haul, and then... instead of spending it off in some way, you just stick it in a beach somewhere. Whats up with that? Lemon asked. Whats the point?
Lemon blinked. Wait, what?
A boat comes in and says Captain Knotbeard stole treasure from us! Look, heres whats missing from our manifest! Then two days later, a man with a tangled goatee comes in with exactly the stuff that was lost. Instant noose. Sunny sipped her coffee again. By hiding the wealth for a bit, say two to three months, our pirate captain lets his crime fade from the public memory while still preserving the wealth. Or so the theory goes, anyway.
Oh. Huh. That makes a lot of sense, actually.
You do realize real pirates mostly stole things like food and sailcloth and other practical materials, right? The whole treasure-burying thing is made up whole cloth.
Lemon Zest gave her a flat look. Yes, I know that. Im not stupid. Im asking why a theoretical pirate with treasure would bury his chest of gold, not suggesting that the pirate in question is anything more then theoretical.
- Post-Modern Magik: A staple of the setting.
- Power Floats: By the end of Oversaturation, it seems like anyone with enough magical oomph can treat gravity as more of a suggestion.Applejack tilted her hat back. "How come every magic-crazed lunatic can float?"
- Precision F-Strike:
- With Great Sour:"Oh, no, I'm totally fine with new jewelry, I'm a teenage girl after all. But do you know what else I am? I AM A FUCKING SCHIZOPHRENIC!"
- Mysteries of the Comos:The unicorn-aspected science officer turned her attention back to the readout and blinked before replying in a dumbfounded tone of voice, "Ma'am, it appears to be... a small ceramic pot."
Surprise blinked, a look of, well, surprise, and confusion appearing on her face before stuttering, "Wha... Whuuuu.... What the fuck?"
- Zapostate:Sour bit her lip and shimmied from side to side. "I know it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black, buuuut... Indigo Zap has gone fucking insane."
- With Great Sour:
- Pre-Mortem Catchphrase: From Gloriosa's Overgrowth: Discussed by Timber, when talking about a Catch-Phrase shared between his mom and sister."I've got this," echoed Timber. "You know, I wouldn't be surprised if those were my mom's last words."
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: ** He'll Save Every One of Us, by Masterweaver and FoME:
"Flash Sentry says he wasn't fully aware of what happened, but you were there with him. What can you tell us?"
Applejack put a hand over Pinkie's mouth. "No comment."
The reporter blinked. "But"
- Recursive Fanfiction: All the stories on this page are either Overaturation or fanfics of Oversaturation. Group Precipitation takes it Up to Eleven by being a collection of short fanfics of Oversaturation (and its spinoffs).
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: In Chapter 4 of Sailor Orbital, the Sailor Luna Sailors are revealed to be named after the Greek Gods, in contrast to Sailor Moon's naming of Sailors after the Roman Gods. Whether this extends to the in universe planets having different names isn't clear.
- Right Behind Me: Lampshaded and zigzagged in Stick to your Principals:Lemon looked to Sugarcoat. "Call that two and a half votes for me?" After Sugarcoat nodded, she turned to the others. "Okay, let me preface this by saying that I'm trying to be a better person, and I like to think I'm having a nonzero success rate there, but some things need to be said, and I've been holding this one back since the Friendship Games: Your principals are sixty percent leg by height. Their centers of mass are below their waists. The reason they constantly wear pantsuits is because any outfit that didn't have 'pant' right in the name couldn't hope to contain them. And at this point in the rant, I can safely assume that one or both of them is standing behind me." She turned to look.
"Dean Cadence smiled. "Not quite."
- Rule of Funny: How Pinkie's "party person" magic works. Explicitly acknowledged as such.
- Secret Identity: Those of the Sailor Orbital team and the Power Patriots have them to keep their civilian identities safe from the general public.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: From Blue Sunny Days and Pink Lemonade, it's what Lemon Zest and Sunny Flare say about each other, while everyone disagrees.
- Shock and Awe: Sailor Plasma's Tesla gloves:"You curl them up as fists, they generate an electric charge—give your punches an extra something. And if you clap them together, that electricity is released in a bolt of lightning—just in case you need a ranged option."
- Shout-Out: There's a lot. Here's some:
- From Sailor Orbital Chapter 6, to Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls from Lauren Faust, who was also responsible for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, the originating series for My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. It's also lampshaded in the Author's Note at the end:"Yeah, GALAX-E girls rule!"
"Yep. It sounds quite appropriate, actually."
"...I wonder why?"
"I don't know. Something something metajoke?"
- Playing Hero's A Minty Fresh Adventurer has its title be a reference to the Pony Platforming Project's Minty Fresh Adventure!, with a time-manipulating Minuette.
- From Sailor Orbital Chapter 6, to Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls from Lauren Faust, who was also responsible for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, the originating series for My Little Pony: Equestria Girls. It's also lampshaded in the Author's Note at the end:
- Sneeze Cut:
- Group Precipitation - Taking A Strange Turn:Pinkie chose now to give her own input. "Ooooh! I know! Maybe Doctor Turner is some kind wibbly-wobby timey-wimey aspected person, and the blue hourglass he always carries around is like a magic wand, ONLY A TIME MACHINE!"
Somewhere, on a spaceship being invaded by giant salt shakers, a time-traveling hourglass would've sneezed if it could.
- Sailor Orbital - Chapter 4:"Weird shit is happening every day, Ditzy! It's like fate's being run by somebody who wants to pack reality full of things that are astounding, dramatic, or just plain weird!"
None of them noticed the three little girls across the park sneeze, one by one.
- Group Precipitation - Taking A Strange Turn:
- The Smart Guy: Blue Oyster, who provides the Sailor Orbital team with their equipment, and also cares about proper scientific terminology:"I'm calling you Sailor Plasma," Raindrops announced. "Because plasma and electricity are the same thing!"
Blue winced. "They're... not. They're really not."
- Spit Take: Rutaceae: Rainbow Dash does one."Rainbow's hot-coffee spit take"
- Spy's Suspicious Spouse: From Scratching at the Wrapper, by FoME: Lyra being suspicious of Bonbon's out-of-place martial arts skills. They're not married, but they're close. And then there's Bonbon's discussion with her parents, where her dad is basically confirmed as having previously worked as a spy:At dinner that night, Bonbon bit her lip and said, "Dad?"
Bon Mot looked up from his spaghetti. "Yes, Sweetie?"
"Did... did Mom ever, you know... suspect?"
Her mother, Aspartame, snorted. "Believe me, Sweetie, if I had ever suspected what he was up to before it was too late, I would... Well, things would've gone differently."
- Stop Worshipping Me: After Sunset's Abstract Apotheosis into the human world's Tree of Harmony, people start up religions around her and pray to her. She's extremely uncomfortable with this, as she's still a high school student. Played mostly for laughs.
- Telepathy: Assume a Spherical Walrus: Luna has it after taking over dream management, as magic interprets 'dreams' as "Any thoughts that weren't focused on the here-and-now.", and she could read those thoughts, although "most of the time it was a mishmash of memories and speculation that wasn't even put into words, much less a coherent flow."
- Teenage Pregnancy: What was presumably going through Golden Harvest's head when she learned Ditzy had a kid, in Sailor Orbital Chapter 6:"Hold on." Golden Harvest put her hands on the table. "Ditzy, when did you have a kid?!"
"Hopefully five or more years in the future."
- Teleportation: A possible Unicorn aspect spell:
- Group Precipitation: Perimeter Patrol: On why Sunset Shimmer's not helping with the current problem:"'parently she's got some more important stuff ta work out. Somethin' bout a space agency experimentin' with teleportation."
- Group Precipitation: Perimeter Patrol: On why Sunset Shimmer's not helping with the current problem:
- Theme Naming: The Sailor Orbital team is named after Outer Space or Science-themed things:
- Sailor Orbital = Ditzy Doo
- Sailor Plasma = Golden Harvest
- Sailor Meteor = Raspberry Fluff
- Sailor Photon = Raindrops
- Sailor Comet = Blue Oyster.
- This Is Wrong on So Many Levels: In the Author's Note of Here There Be Legends:Ditzy tapped at her phone for a few moments. "Huh. It says here the original, mythological Bahamut was a giant fish."
"Indeed. The Bahamatians exploited their genetic malleability to the utmost. Some of their ships were not built, but hatched."
"That is disturbing on multiple levels."
- Title Drop: Sailor Orbital is title dropped in Chapter 4.
- Transflormation: In What Shy Did On Her Summer Vacation, Fluttershy gets turned into a tree for a month, but after a while she stops thinking like a person, and more like a tree, causing her friends to scramble for a solution.
- Talking Animal:
- Spike, a dog, who can speak in wranglish, due to magic
- Kikai No Kawa of Sailor Orbital, an alien cat, who speaks in Japanese, and then wranglish after she gets it beamed into her mind.
- Verbed Title:
- Wants a Prize for Basic Decency: Well Met, Fellow Traveler:"Hmm." Winter glanced away. "This is not relevant. I explained the actions of the pink one. I did not need to."
"No. And I do not need to award you for common decency." Ditzy clicked her hands together. "You have much to learn."
- Weirdness Magnet: Ditzy flat out calls herself this in Sailor Orbital, listing a litany of Noodle Incidents to back up her claim.
- Which Me?: Discussed with Derpy and her analogues in other dimensions in Here, while she's fixing a mess she sort of caused:"Well, I couldn't just wreck everything and leave myself to fix it, could I?"
Sunset smirked. "You inhabit a very interesting realm of grammar. Have I ever told you that?"
"A few times."
- Whip It Good: Sailor Photon gets a "Magical Resonance Chain, which you can use to grapple things".