Character sheet for Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World.
- Above the Influence: Discussed and Averted. He is initially very, very nervous thinking about the concept of sex-slavery, and owning one... until he gives said sex slave his virginity and takes hers. From that point on, he sees nothing wrong with the idea.
- Abusive Parents: Combined with Parental Neglect. The closest thing he has to a fond memory of his mother, is watching traffic pass by because she thought it would be a great idea to take him to a beauty salon and leave him with nothing to do, and wondered why the hell he was so bored. Then, when she died, his father decided the best way to mourn is to side with the vicious bullies tormenting him and bully him too. Then when he realized the boy was learning Kendo and could plausibly retaliate, proceeded to simply ignore him, as if he didn't exist.
- Accidental Hero: Literally. After fighting off some bandits in what he thinks is a game starter village, he gains the "Hero" class.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Inverted. The manga removes a great deal of his internal monologue, making him seem considerably less angsty, and more sympathetic.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: The one and only form of affection he shows to his harem that is not sexually charged. In fact, the primary reason that his girls will happily share a bath with him is that he is very, very good at washing their hair, which is a privilege normally reserved for the highest of nobility.
- All the Other Reindeer: He was perusing suicide websites because nobody, even his own father, would interact with him unless they were physically abusive, until they realized he could plausibly fight back with both kendo and akido martial arts, and then ignored him like he didn't exist.
- Audience Surrogate: As he learns about the New World, so does the reader.
- Awesome by Analysis: He gains a major advantage in this New World because he undertakes the scientific method to try and understand how it really ticks, as opposed to the general populace who found out something by accident and then persists in thinking that's the only way it's done.
- Bathtub Bonding: His second favorite past-time with his slave harem. He gets to ogle and fondle them, they get pampered, everybody goes to bed happy, in every sense of the term.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: When a band of thieves and pirates tried to corner him in a labyrinth just outside the boss chamber, using a classic pincer movement, he teleports behind the pirate leader and out pincers them, killing the subordinate with a sword-strike to the throat, and making the pirate leader literally explode!
- In the manga, it happens much sooner. When he decides to go bounty hunting to get the funds needed for purchasing Roxanne, one of the target thieves tries to ambush him inside their hideout. He winds up ambushing said thief instead, and since he was already "lured" inside the hideout, he proceeds to wreck havoc, wiping out the gang, leaving no survivors.
- Benevolent Boss: He doesn't just pamper his harem like crazy. He actively seeks out their opinion and perspective before every decision, whenever he can, and rewards them handsomely when they do well, in anything.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is a very sweet, sensitive and gentle soul, as his entire harem, including Sherry, will happily testify. Threaten said harem, or give him just cause to retaliate, and your lifespan can be measured in seconds.
- Beyond the Impossible: He repeatedly shocks and awes his slave harem by unlocking classes among them that they have spent their whole lives believing require years of training in less than a single battle because he manages to figure out the actual unlocking requirements, rather than going by popular opinion, and can actually read his slave's relative levels, which is something the general populace can't do.
- Book Dumb: As a result of only being able to translate "Brahim" when it's spoken to him, he's illiterate. Since books are rare and can only be afforded by the very wealthy, nobody minds.
- Boring, but Practical: The way he lives his life in this New World, which even grates him on occasion. Because he prioritizes safety above all else, both for himself and his harem, he explores the labyrinths as discretely as possible, repeats boss fights he's already won, both to "experiment" and to collect ingredients, and genuinely does his best to remain unnoticed. Unlike many adventurers and glory-hounds introduced in the story who go for flashy fights and name recognition, only to wind up being monster chow, this has served him quite well.
- Born in the Wrong Century: In the lightnovel, he frequently compares his life in the New World to what he perceives as the rites of the Edo period in Japan, which ended in 1868, and he loves it.
- Bridal Carry: His favorite way to get his harem into bed... He will make multiple trips if he has to.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: What he suspects about himself. Rather than try and find out his actual alcohol tolerance, he simply refuses to partake altogether, and only uses alcohol for cooking.
- Chekhov's Skill: His home-ec and chemistry classes come in very, very handy in this New World as he can make soap, a rare luxury item, from scratch and cook unheard-of dishes for himself and his harem that they all appreciate.
- He regrets not paying more attention when his mother took him to a beauty salon because whatever he would have learned in said salon would allow him to pamper his harem much better in dealing with their hair and bodies. Still, what little bit he did pick up, is the lap of luxury for them, and they are all well pleased.
- Chivalrous Pervert: While he does purchase slaves expressly for the purpose of having sex with them, he never intentionally does anything with them that they're not comfortable with. On the contrary, he does everything in his power to make them feel treasured. They all love him for it in different ways and to varying degrees.
- Combat Pragmatist: If he's got cause to come after you, don't naively expect him to simply challenge you honorably. He will pull every dirty trick he has to, and Leave No Witnesses if he can.
- Cowardly Lion: While he is obsessed with living a life with as little risk as possible, his harem's well being trumps any thoughts of his own survival. When Sabo demanded a duel with Roxanne, instead of letting her fight, or running away, which he very much wanted to do, he took on the challenge, personally, despite his reservations.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: What the ladies of his harem find to be his most endearing feature. He is incredibly possessive and protective of his sex slaves. While he doesn't mind the fact that his girls turn heads, because that is why he bought them, anyone looking to act on the desire to lewd them has a tendency to wind up Deader Than Dead.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Blue hair and eyes.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: His "mana sacrifice" ability. He can sacrifice all his MP in a single attack to kill a lone enemy. He's only used it twice in the story because the drawbacks are nasty. When his MP gets too low, especially when it reaches 0, it triggers uncontrollable cowardice and suicidal depression. In a place like a labyrinth, this could easily be fatal.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He's probably got the worst of the main characters, and the rest of them are slaves. Despite being born and raised in modern society, he's had to go to a kendo dojo to learn how to defend himself from bullies, since elementary school. The fondest memory he has of his mother is her taking him to a beauty salon, leaving him with nothing to do, for hours, and wondering why he's so bored that he stands at the window watching passing traffic, and then when his mother dies, his father decides the best way to mourn her is to side with his bullies and abuse him. When he gains enough kendo and martial skills to fight back, the bullies, his father, and everybody else pointedly ignore him.
- Designated Hero: Invoked. He has a "hero" class for fighting off some bandits as his first official battle. This class is given out regardless of morality. Fortunately, he happens to be a genuinely decent and upright individual.
- The Determinator: Once he sets his mind on something, he will not give up. As a prime example, the first time he tried the "MP sacrifice" skill, not knowing about the drawback, he overcame the crippling panic and suicidal depression by forcing himself into battle with monsters using Durandal to recover his MP until his mind cleared. He is the only character in the series known to succeed in this.
- Fatal Flaw: Justified. Even after unlocking the Merchant job and leveling it to 30, he is still unable to determine whether the prices of his purchases and sales are fair market value. In his defense, economies can easily become very complicated affairs, and even market analysts on Earth who've been at it for decades are often wrong. His jobs and skills can not override the fact that he is an otherwise normal teen on a completely alien world.
- Fetish: He has several common ones. Big breasts, maid outfits, erotic and elegant lingerie, naked apron, and virgins.
- The Gadfly: He loves to tease, one-up and shock Sherry because he finds her flummoxed reaction adorable. In return, she loves to snark, berate, and otherwise be quite cynical of him... to keep him in line. The rest of the harem adores watching the game.
- Good Is Not Soft: While he is quite upright in terms of morality and character, if you threaten his harem in any way, he will utterly massacre you without hesitation, mercy, or remorse.
- Good People Have Good Sex: His slaves actively enjoy having sex with him, and it is often mentioned that he openly worships their naked bodies. He is also a genuinely decent and morally upright individual.
- Guide Dang It!: During chapter 1, the prologue, setting up his "character," world, and abilities was an issue since there was no guide or explanation given. Furthermore, he was quite upset upon reaching the New World since he was thrown into a battle almost immediately and there was no "tutorial" to show him how he's supposed to interact or what to do. One of the primary reasons he sought out Roxanne is that he needed someone who can't betray him to teach him the world's "common sense."
- Gut Feeling: If there's anything positive he's gleaned from his horrific childhood is that he's an excellent judge of character. He was able to size up the personality of each and every prospective member of his harem after meeting her only once, right before he acquired her. Although not perfect, he's also quite good at reading merchants, brokers and nobles. Even including Emperor Gaius.
- Happily Married: Yes, there's no religious ceremony or fanfare. Yes, the public at large sees his harem as slaves, not brides, or as his adventuring party, at best. However, even in reality, Japan and China, until very, very recently treated marriage the way he treats his slave harem, ie, a man can have as many wives as he can afford to buy and maintain. There are also some remote cultures in modern times which continue the practice. His harem and he are very, very happy in their relationship, without exception.
- Harem Seeker: For a very short time, he considered having a party with an even gender split... until he realized how possessive he is of his love interest(s). He goes on to purchase attractive female sex-slaves to fill his party for the rest of the story.
- Heroic BSoD: He realized he wasn't in a VR game after he had slaughtered some bandits attacking a village. The fact that he killed real people shook him to the core. Fortunately, after a bit of a pep-talk from the villagers whose lives he saved, he gets better.
- Heroic Neutral: While he is an upright and decent human being, he only concerns himself with his well-being and the well being of his slave harem. He won't go out of his way to either help or exploit others.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Although he doesn't say it out loud, in truth, he doesn't feel he's worthy of his sex-slaves. He sees himself as a worthless incompetent, and his slaves as truly wonderful women (which they are). He honestly believes that if they weren't his slaves, and had no choice, they wouldn't have anything to do with him, no matter how much genuine praise they give him.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Surprisingly Truth in Television, since he's introduced as a healthy, heterosexual, 17-year-old boy, surrounded by very attractive and willing girls, and he's explicitly informed that Surprise Pregnancy is not a problem. The idea to have sex with his sex slaves flies through his head once every few seconds, and it's a real struggle to not have sex with them continuously, especially with the aphrodisiac side-effect whenever he equips the Sex Maniac job.
- Insecure Love Interest: Although he never says it aloud, he's terrified of disappointing or offending his sex-slaves in any way. He honestly believes that if they had a choice, they would go get their "loving" somewhere else. It doesn't matter how much he pampers them, how much they praise him, how outright eager they are to have him find them sexy, how much they actively seek out sex with him, or how much they openly swear their loyalty. He always chafes when he thinks he looks "uncool" in front of them, and uses Sherry's inherent snarkiness like miners use a canary in a coal mine.
- I Thought Everyone Could Do That: At the very first, when he realized some equipment comes with "empty skill slots", he thought everyone knew what that meant. He quickly learns that item enchantment is a lottery, because the people who have the ability to do so can't see the slots...
- Jumped at the Call: Justified. He started the story looking at suicide websites, and a pop-up advertisement said "Hold on! Before you kill yourself, if you're not happy in your world, how about trying out another world instead?" Cue the "character creation" window.
- Karmic Jackpot: Upon coming to this New World, those that have genuine good will for him and his tend to have nice things happen to them. Those who antagonize him... woe be unto them.
- Language Barrier: With the exception of the language "Brahim", any word he hears comes across as "xxxxxxx."
- Leaked Experience: Exploited. He learns very quickly that a "party" not only shares exp from killing monsters, but their job's inherent skills stack, including bonus exp. With this little bit of trivia, he manages to gain levels with his harem that would normally take them years, in a matter of days, if not single battles.
- Love at First Sight: With Roxanne. The moment he laid eyes on her, he had to buy her, no matter the cost, and put his life in danger repeatedly to raise the needed funds.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Literally. After a night of passion with his slaves, he wakes up to find he's unlocked the Sex Maniac class. His harem appreciates it.
- Mundane Utility: When he realizes that water-based combat spells actually summon potable water, he uses them to meet the water utility needs for his home, including the bathtub. All his harem is awestruck by the idea.
- When he learns Ice-based magic, he not only tries to make ice-cream, but summons large walls of ice to try and cool the family home during hot, sweltering summer nights...
- No Name Given: His name when he lived in modern Japan is never mentioned.
- Pragmatic Hero: He will do whatever it takes to keep himself and his harem safe and happy. On at least three occasions, he has slaughtered people who've threatened him and his without mercy or remorse. In fact, to raise the funds to purchase Roxanne, and prevent any future revenge attempts on himself, he utterly annihilated what remains of the bandit gang that attacked the "starter village" he woke up in, and collected the bounty.
- Properly Paranoid: Played with. In this New World, magic that allows people to teleport right into other people's homes is commonplace, and completely unregulated. Monsters and Bandits can attack at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all. Doing or saying the wrong thing to the wrong person can get you made a slave, as Michio learns in Chapter 1. Yet, the fact that he doesn't share the aspects of his unique abilities down to the last minutia with his harem, at any time one of them asks, drives the fanbase crazy, even after Michio has soundly demonstrated why doing so is a bad idea.
- Punchclock Hero: He will act in a genuinely heroic manner, but expects to be compensated for his efforts. If he does something nice, for free, it's still as a result of considering the long-term impact on his harem and himself.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He loves to cook for his harem. The fact that they openly praise whatever dish he makes leaves him tickled pink.
- Sickening Sweethearts: With Roxanne. Every time he flirts with her, pets her ears, or otherwise dotes on her causes the comments to melt down with "Squee."
- Skewed Priorities: Actually justified. His primary concern when buying slaves to fill his party is whether or not they're attractive women who he can take to bed and have sex with. Their actual talent in dealing with labyrinths is a secondary concern. His justification is a good one. While he can't change his slave's appearance, gender, or personality, he can unlock jobs either in himself or in them to make up for any deficiencies they might have in dungeon crawling. It's a formula that has served him very, very well, and looks likely to continue.
- Stock Light-Novel Hero: Invoked. He realizes that the new world he finds himself in, one that he actively chose to go to, despite not actually paying attention, is reality and not a game. He actively seeks out and purchases sex-slaves, actually has sex with them, and for the most part doesn't do anything markedly different from the locals, except simply appearing very naturally talented at being an adventurer and having an eye for "recruiting" very, very talented individuals most people foolishly skip over.
- Supreme Chef: Especially by the standards of the New World. His cooking failures are considered dishes fit for royalty, and his harem gets to eat them almost daily.
- Their First Time: With Roxanne, his first slave. The audience universally finds it adorable.
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Unusual for a seinen series, he does this with not only his own abilities but those of his slave harem. He wisely instructs them to keep this aspect of his powers a secret.
- Translator Microbes: As part of being transported to this New World, the language "Brahim" when spoken, translates perfectly into Japanese in his head, and the Japanese in his head translates perfectly back into "Brahim." Though he can neither read nor write it.
- Trapped in Another World: Unusual for this type of story in that he was made well aware he was going to be whisked away to a world he actively chose and set-up for himself and return would not be possible. Also uncommon, but not unheard of, he doesn't want to go back, and looking at the Dark and Troubled Past entry, who can blame him. Most of the "modern conveniences" he left behind, he doesn't really need anyway.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: When he woke up in the New World, he immediately thought he was in a VR game, like Sword Art Online... then he remembered that he had no VR gear...
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: As seen in the page image, he does indeed have blue hair. In the New World, this is normal.
- Your Normal Is Our Taboo: Simultaneously played straight and inverted. Raised in modern Japan, the concept of slavery takes him a bit of getting used to. The inversion comes from when he becomes a slave owner. The idea of having his slaves equipped with the best possible equipment, eating food at the same table as he does, rather than the cold left overs while sitting on the floor, sharing his bed, and bath, rather than being made to sleep on the same floor and having to "bathe" by standing in the rain or diving in a river is a level of luxury that is frowned upon by most slave owners, and thus shocks his slaves, some even crying Tears of Joy at the treatment he gives them.
- Badass Adorable: Each and every one of them is cute as a button, and can totally wreck you should Michio give the word.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Because Michio pampers them like crazy and gives them what's universally considered the lap of luxury in their world, his slaves have absolutely no qualms about having sex with him. In fact, by all reports, they find the sex quite pleasant too.
- Beware the Nice Ones: They are all sweet, gentle and submissive, even Sherry. Provoke, antagonize, otherwise offend them, or insult their master, Michio, and a world of hurt awaits you.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Though not fully revealed, they all have sad backstories.
- Does Not Like Shoes: The moment he buys them, they're all barefoot, and Michio has to convince them to wear shoes he purchases on their behalf.
- Exotic Extended Marriage: To western audiences, certainly. But in Japan, according to the other wiki, this kind of marriage arrangement was considered normal until the women's liberation movement got to Japan in 1970. So even if his father didn't experience this as a cultural norm, Michio's grandfather likely did.
- Happily Married: As mentioned in Michio's entry, the harem arrangement they've got going is a de-facto marriage in many cultures, even in modern times, and they're all very, very happy with how Michio treats them.
- Happiness in Slavery: Almost to the point of Property of Love. They happily have sex with Michio because he treasures them, treats them as equal partners, not livestock, as is the norm, and pampers them like crazy.
- Little Bit Beastly: With the exception of the dwarf, Sherry, and later the elf, Rutina, they are all of one "beastkin" tribe or another, and thus have some small animal traits.
- Made a Slave: With the exception of Vesta, they were freemen and citizens sold into slavery. Vesta was born into slavery.
- Polyamory: They're all perfectly fine sharing Michio with each other. Jealousy is rarely an issue. It really helps that Michio doesn't go sniffing around outside the home for his "needs." However, while they're all content with increasing the number of sex-slaves if said slaves are going to be added to the adventuring party, they're all insistent that a domestic "home-keeper" slave is not needed.
- Rags to Riches: All of them became slaves as a result directly or indirectly of barefoot poverty. Living as Michio's slave is the lap of luxury for them.
- Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits: Just looking at them and their skill-sets, one wouldn't think they'd work well together, at all. Michio makes it work though, by pampering them, and using his unique skills, jobs, and abilities to fill in the gaps.
- Sex Slave: They were all bought by Michio for the express purpose of having sex with them, which he does on a nightly basis. None of them seem to mind.
- Sleep Cute: What few illustrations exist of them sleeping beside Michio are all sleep adorable.
Race: Beastkin Subrace: Wolf-tribe
- All Periods Are PMS: Averted. She has one, but the only crankiness she experiences is missing out on sex with Michio as a result, at her request, which is often Truth in Television.
- Breakout Character: The fanbase adores Roxanne. Illustrations featuring her are the most prominent in the light novel and very popular in the comments section.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Brown hair and eyes.
- Deadly Dodging: The very core of her fighting style. She evades enemy attacks by the thinnest of margins, so she can wear down their stamina and go in for the kill when they're exhausted.
- Everyone Can See It: She and the slave merchant selling her, Allen, both immediately realized Michio was fixated on her, despite his attempts to hide it.
- The Fashionista: While Michio is the one who has the best eye for lingerie and "intimate" clothing, she's the one who has the eye for fashion in everything else. Michio wisely lets her do the shopping for the casual wear, not just because she loves to shop, but because her choices are very aesthetically pleasing.
- First Girl Wins: She's Michio's first slave, and he repeatedly states that she's his top slave, which she adores.
- Freakiness Shame: Especially in the manga. When Michio bought her, she was ashamed of and hid her beastkin traits, namely her ears, tail, and furry back. When Michio openly praised them with the innocent awe and wonder normally associated with innocent, happy children, she decided to either live her life at Michio's beck and call, or not at all.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: She uses a one-handed sword as her primary weapon.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: From the moment Michio bought her, she's been his go-to source for the "common sense" of the world setting. She's also far more talented than he at combat, and always will be. Even though he does eventually get stronger than her, she will always be more skilled. They both know it and have no complaints.
- Informed Attribute: She supposedly has a furry back. Illustrations of her topless with her back in full view don't agree with this description.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: What attacks she can't dodge, she blocks with a shield.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: She will serve Michio, come hell or high water, no ifs, ands, or buts. Fortunately, he's not only of good and decent moral fiber, but honestly strives to be worthy of that level of devotion.
- No Periods, Period: Averted. Fortunately it appears to be the once a year kind, not the once a month kind.
- Number Two: She is Michio's right hand, and she's earned it. Not only is she the most loyal and devout, but she's the most talented, experienced and skilled warrior in his team. So when Michio is not available to lead the team, it's her job. There are no objections to this.
- Serious Business: Properly maintain your weapons! Your life depends on them.
- Spirited Competitor: She loves to fight strong foes to improve herself. Michio finds this a bit scary.
- Super Senses: Her sense of smell is almost as keen as a bloodhound's. Michio counts on this to lead them to specific groups of monsters to fight.
- Supreme Chef: Her cooking skill rivals Michio's. Did we mention that Michio's so good, his failures are considered fit for royalty?
- Their First Time: With Michio. They were both virgins when he purchased her. That very night, that stopped being the case.
- Top Wife: She is Michio's top slave. She knows it. She loves it.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: As a small child, she would go provoke giant ants, kill them for their poison stingers to then go use them as ammunition to attack powerful golems... for fun, no matter how many times her parents grounded her.
- Undying Loyalty: When offered the chance to be free, she pointedly turns it down, insisting that she'd rather be dead than not have Michio as her master.
- A-Cup Angst: Despite being a dwarf and knowing small breasts are normal among her people, she's seriously sensitive about it. Michio's fetish for big-breasts doesn't help.
- Badass Bookworm: Reading books is her favorite pass-time. In fact, Michio takes her to the imperial library once a week (which requires a 1 gold coin admission). She can also kick ass ten ways from Sunday.
- Blade on a Stick: One of her weapon proficiencies is a spear.
- The Conscience: While not immediately obvious, this is her biggest role in Michio's party and harem. Roxanne was offered it first, but outright refused. Knowing that labyrinths are dangerous places, and something could happen at any time, Michio sets up a will, while she's in attendance, that should he die, Sherry will be freed and inherit all his slaves. Considering how many trust issues Michio has, justified or otherwise, this means alot.
- Difficult, but Awesome: Her master-smith class is a particularly twitchy job to acquire. The unlocking conditions are the following: dwarf exclusive, level 10 or less explorer, killing two or more monsters simultaneously with a hammer, and villager level 5. She was introduced as a level 10 explorer, having given up on the idea... until Michio, secretly swapped out her job to villager, leveled it up to 5, then switched it back to have her kill two monsters with a single blow, using a "hammer" weapon. Once unlocked, Sherry was shown how to have a 100% enchantment rate...
- Drop the Hammer: Her starter weapon is in the "Hammer" class, a club. Which is a necessary prerequisite to unlock the Master Smith class.
- Fantastic Racism: Subdued, but present. Sherry, like presumably most dwarves, hates the elven race as a whole, and does not hesitate to say so. Still, she is willing to give individual members of the elven race a fair hearing, tolerating Rutina's presence in the harem because Rutina carries her own weight, and actively strives to be helpful.
- Feeling Oppressed by Their Existence: Combined with Hypocritical Humor. Her first words upon seeing Vesta were "drop dead" because Vesta's very existence pings both her inherent insecurities simultaneously (height and small breasts). Upon learning Vesta is a dragon-kin, she apologizes, makes clear the resentment is not Vesta's fault and then berates Michio for "being a bad guy that is only entranced by giant breasts."
- Freakiness Shame: Subdued, but present. Just as Roxanne was ashamed of her beast-kin traits, she was also quite annoyed with the racial trait of her hair growing way too fast... until she felt Michio's fingers run through it, and he praised how soft it is... then started grooming it for her. Now she's much happier letting it grow out.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: She's quite fond of berating, insulting, and otherwise being quite suspicious of Michio. Michio actively encourages this behavior because he believes it keeps him honest, and he's right. Anyone else insulting Michio had better have a proper will prepared...
- Intimate Healing: On both ends. First, when she successfully enchants a piece of equipment, on her first try, she is so suicidally depressed that Michio has to force-feed her MP recovery medicine mouth to mouth, as she's in no way in the right state of mind to take it herself. She returns the favor when Michio gets poisoned by an NT Ant and the pain is so crippling that she has to force-feed him the antidote mouth to mouth before he dies. This makes Roxanne jealous.
- Little Miss Snarker: As a dwarf, she's very short, and she loves to snark at Michio.
- Miss Exposition: She's Michio's go-to source for information on the world, labyrinths, and monsters.
- The Napoleon: Despite being a dwarf, she's very insecure about her height.
- Never Gets Drunk: She always comes out of the Imperial Library smelling like a distillery, without being even slightly tipsy. She counters that whatever liquor she imbibed is so thin it's locally called "water."
- Our Dwarves Are Different: Unlike most dwarves in fiction, her ears are pointy.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: She may have to wear children's clothing due to being a dwarf, but she's one of Michio's power hitters.
- Pointed Ears: Like all dwarves in the setting, her ears are pointy.
- Riches to Rags: Her family used to be quite wealthy under her grandfather. Under her parents, her family fell on hard times, and she was sold to pay off their debts.
- Tsundere: Very, very heavy on the tsun. While she does love Michio, and her fellow haremettes, she hides it very, very deeply. Her "dere" side only comes out when she's shit-faced drunk and that is in no way easy.
- Younger than She Looks: She has naturally very thin ears. Dwarven ears get thinner with age, so most people confuse her with an old woman, despite being only 16.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Solid purple.
- Animal Jingoism: Defied. Michio is initially worried that Roxanne (dog) and Miria (cat) would not get along. To his surprise, Miria looks up to Roxanne like a Cool Big Sis.
- Blade on a Stick: Her starter weapon is a spear.
- Genius Ditz: She's brilliant in anything involving fish, cooking, catching, or learning anything even tangentially involved with them. The rest of the time...
- Instant Expert: Michio takes her to a seaside village known for its fishing experts so she can learn how to fish. Despite the fact that this is her first time being near the ocean, and trying to catch fish with a rod, she winds up outshining the experts in one day.
- Language Barrier: Not having been taught "Brahim," she can only speak her native beast-kin dialect, so she has trouble heeding Michio's commands. Fortunately Roxanne can translate, and is also teaching her the language.
- Leeroy Jenkins: She has a tendency to rush ahead and break formation in battle while in the labyrinth, especially when it involves monsters that drop fish ingredients. Fortunately, Roxanne can usually rein her in.
- One-Note Cook: Ask her to prepare a fish dish, she'll excel. Anything else, no can do.
- Perpetual Smiler: As can be seen in the page image, she loves to smile, and Michio gives her plenty to smile about.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Of a fantastic racial variant. She's a cat-girl, so she's fixated on fish...
- Super Senses: She can spot black magic crystals in dark labyrinth corridors which are very easy to miss. She's quite fond of doing so because her parents called them "fish change" and would reward her with fish for finding them. This ability alone justified her purchase price several times over.
- Taken for Granite: Michio eventually equips her with an Estoc of Petrification, and tasks her with petrifying difficult labyrinth monsters.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fish, of any kind.
- The Unfavorite: Her native village sold her off into slavery for accidentally trespassing on and stealing fish from a church's sacred water reserve, considering her "cursed." The slave merchant handling her never bothered to teach her "Brahim" because he also considered her "cursed" and just wanted to get rid of her. Michio came along and snatched her up at bargain prices... He's been very, very pleased with the purchase.
- Unluckily Lucky: Her becoming a slave was an unlucky accident, getting lost chasing a fish, that she caught to cook for dinner, got her sold into slavery because said fish swam into the sacred waters of a church. When she actually got sold as a slave, she wound up with Michio and became his good-luck charm in everything, especially hunting in labyrinths. After Michio levels her up as an assassin, she's almost guaranteed to either paralyze or petrify any boss monster the party comes across."Did it, Desu!"
- Verbal Tic: When she does manage to speak in "Brahim", she ends her sentences with "desu."
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The shade depends on the lighting, but her hair is indeed blue.
- The Big Guy: She is the biggest person in Michio's harem, including Michio himself.
- Born into Slavery: Her parents were both slaves, and it's yet to be told for how many generations this goes back. She was placed into the slave market the moment she was weaned. Roxanne weeps upon hearing this.
- Breath Weapon: She can breathe fire, though it's not enough to affect battle.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Red hair and eyes.
- Dual Wielding: Combined with One-Handed Zweihänder. Once she unlocks the race exclusive "Dragon Knight" ability, she can dual wield either two two-handed swords, or two tower shields.
- Fiery Redhead: Played with. She has red hair, and breathes fire, but her personality is very docile and submissive.
- Gentle Giant: She's easily the sweetest and most docile member of Michio's harem, and she towers over everyone.
- The Juggernaut: Even without plate-mail, she moves fast, hits hard, and has incredible defenses. A charging lvl 20 Mino can barely land a scratch on her, and she can take it down, single handed.
- Multi-Melee Master: She can fight equally well with any melee weapon, or no weapon at all.
- Mundane Object Amazement: Eating hot, fresh food for the first time in her life has her crying Tender Tears.
- Mundane Utility: Her fiery breath weapon is excellent for lighting coal stoves and making flambe desserts.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Her breasts aren't breasts at all, but an extra set of lungs, which Michio discovers the first time he has her in the bath with everyone.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Played with. While her personality is very sweet and submissive, her combat prowess makes her a force to be reckoned with, and she has red eyes.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: While she sees nothing wrong with being completely naked before Michio in the bath, when she's wearing erotic negligee that reaches the top of her knees, she's deeply embarrassed... which Michio finds incredibly sexy.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Ironically combined with Innocent Fanservice Girl. She's the first of Michio's slaves to come on to him, as opposed to the other way around. When he's lathered her up with soap, she uses a soapland scene on him, though only because she was taught it would make a male master happy, not the underlying implications.
- Stepford Smiler: She recounts her life experiences, born into slavery and being fed stale leftovers with a smile, as well as responding to Sherry's initial insistence that her breasts are nothing more than gas bags with a smile, because that's how she was trained, and she's suffered worse. When she was outfitted with the best possible gear, she was startled and confused, wondering if it was alright, or merely for show. Then she found herself at the same table as her master Michio, the rest of the harem, and when asking for leftovers, only to find herself eating hot, fresh food along with everyone else, she completely broke down... She's shown her genuine emotions from that point on.
- Sweet Tooth: Michio discovers that she loves sweets the moment he experiments with making crepes. When he serves her a Crepe Suzette, she's overjoyed beyond reason.
- Tears of Joy: Combined with Tender Tears. When she finds herself as Michio's slave and is treated to one luxury after another, she's confused but goes along because she's a slave and has no choice. When she finds herself with the rest of the harem at the same table and is served hot, fresh food, rather than the stale left-overs to which she's accustomed, she completely breaks down and has to be comforted because she's just that happy.
- Weaksauce Weakness: She has two. One, she has to eat "Vollet" at least once every ten days or she will weaken and possibly die, and two, she automatically enters a form of hibernation at night that causes her body temperature to plummet on hot days and flare on cold ones. Michio is quick to see the benefits of the latter, since the entire harem sleeps in the same bed...
- But Thou Must!: On Michio. Although it's quite obvious Michio is a Harem Seeker, he still has serious reservations about having a slave just given to him. The duke of the Harz Order and Cassia, her cousin and "big sister," browbeat him into taking her as his slave.
- Cursed with Awesome: Being forced into slavery under Michio was truly a blessing in disguise for her. The downside? She loses all her inheritance rights, her noble name, and has to participate in nightly orgies. The upside? Her new life is far more luxurious than when she actually was a noble, she gets the best possible hands-on training for dealing with labyrinths on the planet, which was entirely neglected in her actual family, and for the best part, she gets to participate in nightly orgies where everyone openly worships her milky-white, silky-smooth body.
- Fallen Princess: Combined with Princess in Rags. From daughter of a noble, with inheritance rights, to slave...And all the resentment and desire to get back her position...At first, at least.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Golden-haired blonde and once she realizes that she's got nothing to fear from Michio, she shows that she's indeed a very kind and wonderful woman who wants to be useful to him, in every way.
- Humble Pie: She was very haughty when brought into the Kaga family home... until Roxanne and Sherry had a little "chat" with her while Michio was away running errands...
- Leonine Contract: Combined with Hostage Situation. Either offer herself up as a slave, or her younger siblings' safety could not be guaranteed.
- Mundane Utility: Which is actually superior to her active contribution in labyrinths. Her wizard class makes it so much easier for Michio to fill the family bath-tub that the activity goes from a once or twice a week affair to a nightly affair, to the joy of everyone, including herself.
- No Fair Cheating: Played completely straight. From the earliest chapters onward, Michio has repeatedly been told that some nobles abuse the "party" system to have their children gain exp without setting foot in a labyrinth by exploiting adventurers and other commoners. Rutina was one such child, and she proves that this is the absolute worst way to do things. She was put into parties, as an infant, and while adventurers went into labyrinths, she stayed home. In sixteen years of life, she was only a villager level 2, with the potential to unlock the wizard class because she was fed the "medicine", as an infant, and was also near helpless when she had to go into a labyrinth for the first time. If it wasn't for Michio's very effective training method, she would have never been able to carry out her duty, as the very first monster she fought would have killed her.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Whatever Roxanne and Sherry did to her outside Michio's sight, it's got Vesta and Miria terrified, and broke her completely... without leaving a single mark on her body...
- Questionable Consent: The first time she agrees to bathe and have sex with Michio and the others, it's not clear if she actually agreed or if she was simply scared of "disappointing" Roxanne. Of course, the consent is quite genuine on future "nights of passion" since she found that she does honestly enjoy the experience, and truly considers Michio a beneficent master.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: The first time she entered the bath with everyone, she was very, very shy and covered herself with a towel as much as possible, until Michio got to scrubbing her down with soap, as he had scrubbed down everyone else first.
- Once she gets used to the idea of bathing with everyone, she still finds Michio scrubbing her down embarrassing, but has no issues with it because she's come to think of it as being washed down by a man-servant. Michio loves the comparison as he believes it means she trusts him completely.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Heavily deconstructed. Her father was so overprotective that it basically left her completely helpless when he abandoned her, fleeing in the middle of the night. If not for being forced into slavery under Michio, her chances of long-term survival were basically non-existent.
- Sins of Our Fathers: Since her father repeatedly neglected his duty to fight labyrinths, and fled like a coward, she had to pay the price...
- Standard Hero Reward: She was handed off to Michio as payment for services rendered on behalf of the Harz order of Knights... Regardless of either of their feelings on the matter.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: Aloof on one side, adorable on the other.
- Squishy Wizard: What she was raised to be, though when Michio meets her, she's not quite ready...
- Through His Stomach: At the very first, she swears loyalty to Michio, for fear of Roxanne's wrath. Once she realizes Michio is a gourmand who cooks exotic meals and rare ingredients, simply for the joy of eating said meals, and the praise he gets for the taste, her devotion becomes genuine, especially as she loves the lavish treatment too.
- Took a Level in Badass: Combined with Took a Level in Kindness and Took a Level in Cheerfulness. As Michio trains her to deal with labyrinths and exposes her to the harem's daily life, she not only gets stronger, but more gentle, submissive, and most importantly, happier.
- Call to Agriculture: His home has a very prosperous vegetable garden. The only reason he's not officially a farmer is that, aside from Michio, everyone can only have one job at a time.
- A Friend in Need: How he sees Michio.
- Friend in the Black Market: Inverted. His friend, Allen, is the Quratar slave merchant, and operates in Quratar's "red light" district.
- Honest Corporate Executive: His dealings are all honest and above board.
- Intrepid Merchant: He travels between Valle and Quratar across monster laden roads.
- Arranged Marriage: More or less. Michio does treat his slave harem as if they're his wives, after all.
- Friend in the Black Market: He is a slave merchant, though slavery is perfectly legal.
- Intrepid Merchant: He goes far and wide to secure his merchandise.
- Manof Wealth And Taste: He is quite wealthy and has numerous connections to merchants of luxury goods, some of which he introduces to Michio.
- Slavery Is a Special Kind of Evil: Defied. He does his utmost to make sure the slaves he carries and sells are both treated well while in his care and go to good homes.
The Hardware Seller
- An Entrepreneur Is You: She took advantage of Quratar's Merchant City and the Dungeon-Based Economy to set up her hardware store for adventurers to get most of their non-perishable needs, including the housing market.
- Happily Married: The manga reveals that she's married to Quaratar's top blacksmith, who is an Intrepid Merchant himself, collecting lumber and iron from the city labyrinth.
- Honest Corporate Executive: She's cornered the hardware market by being honest and trustworthy. She even lists all the drawbacks of Michio's prospective home when she's preparing to rent it to him. The biggest of said drawbacks being that it's far from the local well.
- No Name Given: Michio never learns her name, and since he's the Audience Surrogate, the readers never learn it either.
- So Proud of You: When she first meets Michio, she all but gives him the stink-eye for being a slave owner. After seeing Michio's slave harem not only increase in number, but the fact that said slaves are clearly well pampered and fitted with the best gear, she does not hesitate to proclaim she's honored to be his land-lord as he's clearly not a guy who will abuse said slaves or do anything despicable like treat them as cannon fodder.
Gozer North Braun Anhalt
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Doesn't hold any of the supposed Fantastic Racism most elves are reported to carry in this New World, and treats Michio with due respect on every encounter.
- Secret Test of Character: He appears at the relief site where adventurers, including Michio, have delivered food and other relief supplies. Despite being "incognito," Michio recognizes him immediately (thanks to his passive "analyze" skill) and takes up the proper "bowing" posture. This impresses Gozer immensely.
- The Team Benefactor: Since he was impressed by Michio's proper etiquette, he's given Michio several exclusive quests and rewards that have made Michio and his harem very, very wealthy, to the point that Michio often exceeds nobility as far as luxury is concerned, and Michio, for his part, has truly proven deserving of this trust.
- Happily Married: She and her husband are very much in love.
- Indifferent Beauty: She's gorgeous, she knows it, she does not care.
- Man Behind the Man: The duke may run the Harz order of Knights, but she runs the duke.
- Strong Family Resemblance: As seen in the page image, she and Rutina are spitting images of each other.
- Tough Love: Combined with Cruel to Be Kind. It is her idea to force Rutina into sex-slavery under Michio because she knows anything else would leave Rutina, whom she treasures, with basically no chance of long-term survival.
Gaius Principus nImperaThe emperor of the country where Michio lives.
- Casual Kink: He's a masochist who likes getting stepped on. He discovered this after falling down a hole and getting accidentally stepped on by a palace maid...
- Friendly Address Privileges: Invoked. One of the rules of the Labyrinth Liberation Society (of which he's a founding member) is that within its halls, nobody stands on rank or ceremony.
- Green-Eyed Monster: After Michio's forced into sharing a dark sexual secret, as part of the initiation into the Labyrinth Liberation Society, he yells "EXPLODE!" at Michio in jealous fury because Michio revealed that he has orgies with his sex slaves every night...
- Retired Badass: He became emperor by conquering a labyrinth solo which Michio, with his talents, can't even dream of doing. He retired from this task due to age and the needs of running the Empire.
- Arch-Enemy: Of Roxanne. Since they were both children, she went out of her way to make Roxanne's life a living hell.
- Asshole Victim: When she's killed, nobody is particularly grief-stricken about it. They're just shocked at the manner in which it happened.
- Bullying a Dragon: Combined with Mugging the Monster and Suicidal Overconfidence. The moment she smelled Roxanne in a labyrinth, she blockaded the exit to demand a one-on-one duel, not knowing that Michio had been power-leveling Roxanne. This is despite the fact that the last time she forced the latter into a duel, Roxanne cleaned the floor with her, despite being only level 6 while she was over level 20. In the present, Roxanne is level 32, while she's just gone up to level 29. To make things worse, she just can't bring herself to believe that the only reason Roxanne doesn't kill her in a duel that she demanded herself is that Roxanne doesn't want to kill her, so she keeps on antagonizing Roxanne despite clearly seeing that Roxanne is way, way stronger than she is.
- Evil Is Petty: She used her household's power and political influence to utterly destroy Roxanne's family, simply because she convinced herself that Roxanne was trying to steal her fiance away, because the horn-dog just couldn't stop ogling Roxanne.
- Fantastic Racism: She calls Michio "a weak human" simply because he's human, not realizing that slave masters are often far stronger than their slaves.
- Honor-Related Abuse: On the receiving end. Since she declared the duel she demanded a draw, rather than meaninglessly throw her life away with a suicide attack, she's beheaded for "shaming the family with a defeat" rather than forcing an "honorable draw."
- It's Personal: She hates Roxanne to the core, for something that wasn't even Roxanne's fault or doing in any way. She pointedly ignore's Roxanne's objections that Roxanne had nothing to do with her fiance cheating on her.
- Malicious Slander: She insists on telling one and all that Roxanne is nothing but a harlot who seduced away her fiance and then "seduced" Michio so she could cowardly hide behind him as his slave. The former is an impossibility since Roxanne was a virgin when Michio bought her, and for the latter, Roxanne was already sold into slavery and had no choice or control in the situation.
- Morton's Fork: Once she forced Roxanne into a duel, as Michio's proxy, and realized defeating the latter is a physical impossibility, her fate was sealed. Either Roxanne kills her, she tries to take out Roxanne in a suicidal attack, which she knows is not going to work, or her house family head kills her for "shaming the house with a defeat."
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Roxanne makes a point of telling her, to her face, that she's grateful the woman forced her family into so much poverty so that she'd be sold into sex-slavery, because if she hadn't, Roxane would have never met Michio, and been bought by the kind of master every girl dreams of.
- No Name Given: Her name is never mentioned.
- Off with His Head!: How she dies.
- Rapunzel Hair: As can be seen in the page image, her hair reaches the top of her thighs. In-universe, this serves to highlight her wealth and noble title as hair is very, very hard to maintain for the vast majority of people. Even Michio, who gives his harem the lap of luxury and pampers them like crazy struggles in that regard.
- Rich Bitch: Her family's wealthy because they borrowed a great deal of money, but are too powerful in terms of martial might for the debtors to actually collect and is incredibly haughty and cruel.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: He's the head of the Baradam house and after using 50 "doping pills" had climbed to level 99. Michio suspects that at one dope-pill a level, he had to earn a level of 49 on his own.
- Curbstomp Battle: When he forced Michio to duel him, Michio repeatedly warned him, and made clear to Gozer that he could not afford to hold back. Sabo was unmoved, and attacked anyway. The battle ended with Michio landing not one, but two fatal blows so fast that Sabo didn't even have time to register what hit him before he fell over, dead.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: He is insulted beyond reason that there was no "decisive blow" in the duel between Roxanne and the woman going as the heir of the Baradam house. So he beheads the heir and demands to duel Roxanne to the death "as a rematch." He never took into account that Michio wouldn't dare needlessly risk his Top Wife like that, and could dish out One-Hit Kill attacks.
- Fantastic Drug: Combined with Hoist by His Own Petard. Though not the first time mentioned, he is the first shown to have actually used "doping pills." This drug artificially inflates someone's job level, thus granting the abilities of that job's higher tiers but doesn't boost the user's stats and inherent traits. Basically, a fantastic variant of anabolic steroids. Unfortunately for him, doing this not only left his basic stats weaker than Michio's, who had earned his level 40+ jobs honestly, but also had him, at level 99, satisfying the activation conditions for Michio's strongest, and most unavoidable, One-Hit Kill attack.
- Honor Before Reason: Combined with Revenge Before Reason. He demands a duel with Roxanne, because Roxanne had the gall to "shamefully defeat" the woman known as the Baradam house heir, in a duel the woman herself demanded, and whom he himself beheaded for losing. Michio steps in and teaches him the error of his ways.
- Honor-Related Abuse: He beheads the woman known as the "heir of the Baradam house", in public for the "shame of staining the Baradam name with defeat" because she wouldn't meaninglessly throw her life away with a suicide attack.
- Mugging the Monster: He goes and provokes Michio by threatening Roxanne and refusing to back down, despite being given plenty of opportunity to save face. Even if he could somehow see Michio's level, he would have seen a level 44 Explorer, but not all the other level 40+ jobs Michio had. He winds up getting hit with two One-Hit Kill attacks so fast, he never has a chance to register what hit him before he winds up on the ground, dead.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: He was firmly of the opinion that the only people worthy of being house members are those who gain martial accomplishments without fail, or die trying.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: He forces Michio into a duel, not knowing anything about the latter, pointedly ignoring Michio's warnings that Michio will kill him. Even when he sees first hand that Michio's assertion is no bluff, he still attacks anyway, presuming he's already the victor.
- We Cannot Go On Without You: His death brought a sudden end to his house's habit of refusing to pay their debitors by force of arms, and they had to liquidate their assets in a hurry to avoid winding up as slaves themselves, and to masters far, far less benevolent than Michio. As is shown in the next public slave auction, they're less than entirely successful.
Simon BaradamA pirate that tries to ambush Michio's party in a labyrinth. He did not live long enough to regret his error.
- Blatant Lies: He promises to spare Michio if he hands over his valuables, including his sex-slaves. Michio sees through it.
- The Dreaded: To everyone but Michio, especially once the fool threatens Michio's harem.
- Dramatic Irony: Played for laughs. Roxanne spent her life hoping to meet and duel him. He ambushes her along side Michio and the rest in a labyrinth and gets killed by Michio. Roxanne doesn't even realize it until Michio tells her later, after she's been using his rapier for a while...
- Ludicrous Gibs: What he's reduced to after Michio's done with him.
- Made of Explodium: Invoked. Michio uses his "MP Sacrifice" ability on him and makes him explode.
- Mugging the Monster: His strategy was actually pretty sound, and might have worked on someone else. Have an outer group of thieves and bandits "politely" let the mark pass, and then ambush the mark in a classic pincer maneuver in a room coated with a material that prevents teleportation out. Unfortunately for him and his men, Michio saw it coming a mile away when his passive "analyze" ability alerted him that the outer group were almost all thieves and bandits, and Michio's entire Battle Harem, including himself, are all far, far more dangerous than they look, with Michio able do deal out One-Hit Kill attacks, and cast magic.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Because he ambushes Michio's party in a labyrinth, and draws the attention of the rest of the Baradam family when he suddenly "goes missing," Michio is able to settle the matter with "the heir of the Baradam house" decisively, once and for all, and Michio is able to purchase a lot of nifty new toys that he can equip his harem with.
- No Body Left Behind: To Michio's chagrin, since it makes collecting the bounty impossible, and causes the rest of the Baradam family to come looking for him, including one woman that Roxanne knows...
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: He and his men don't even bother trying to hide the fact that they intended to rape Michio's harem to death... They picked the wrong prey.
- This Cannot Be!: When he sees Michio teleport in a room his gang actually rigged to be impervious to teleporation...
- Wrong Assumption: When he saw Michio teleport, he presumed Michio ran away like a coward, and said so, preparing to exploit what he saw as now helpless women... until he saw a sword sticking out of his lieutenant's throat and was made to explode...
Bandanna ThiefA random villager who thought it would be a great idea to steal the bandit chief's bandana from Michio's reward and swap it with a common cloth.
- Did Not Think This Through: Even if Michio didn't have the "appraise" skill, how did he expect to not be found out? Especially since "Thief" would appear on his intelligence card the next time he was inspected for any reason.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Inverted. For stealing a bandanna, he was sentenced to slavery, and sold for a price of 33,000 coins, half of which went to Michio, the victim, by order of the Village chief.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: His poor and clumsy attempt at theft from the village's savior led to his enslavement, which in turn led Michio to meet the slave merchant Allen, and Roxanne...
- Too Dumb to Live: If Michio was a little bit less benevolent, and a bit more savvy about the rules of the world at the time, this villager could have been killed... because he wanted to steal a bandanna.
- Ungrateful Bastard: His "thanks" to Michio for stepping in to save the village from bandits is to go and steal from Michio's just reward.