Our beloved heroes, the Monster Island Buddies have been friends ever since their respective childhoods. While their relationship can get rocky at times, they will always stand up for each other and are an excellent team who can fend off all kinds of threats to Earth. As long as they aren't goofing off or just being lazy, that is.
- Anti-Hero: With the sole exception of Jet himself, Godzilla and Rodan aren't exactly likable fellows and have been known to randomly destroy cities whenever they feel like it, but are still Earth's best chance against worse dangers.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Goji and Rody may not be the friendliest monsters out there and can be pretty lazy and irresponsible at times, but when it comes to fighting bad guys and saving Earth, they will gladly kick lots of ass to protect their home. We're talking about two particularly strong kaiju after all.
- Freudian Trio:
- Godzilla = Neutral but considerate towards the right person (Ego)
- Rodan = Erratic, Short-Tempered, and always throws Tantrums (Id)
- Jet-Jaguar = Kind, Caring, and always gives advice to his friends (Superego)
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Goji and Rody are both big assholes with a softer side, while Jet is a full-blown Nice Guy instead.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Their friendship has had a few problems through the years, but they genuinely care for each other and for their fellow monsters.
Godzilla is the King of the Monsters and the hero of Monster Island Buddies, as well as the main Godzilla of the Multiverse. In the series, Godzilla is portrayed as a lazy, overweight and selfish alcoholic. But despite those negative traits, he always sticks up for his friends and will always prove his worth when the Monster Island Buddies need his help.
- Abusive Parent: Was this towards Zilla and Minilla due to him picking up this trait from his own father. However, he softened up towards them after Season 4.
- Alternate Self: There are multiple versions of Godzilla from different universes and timelines, all of them portrayed by several toys, plushies and figures of the character's various incarnations. In fact, an entire army of alternate Godzillas helps the good monsters defeat Cthulhu and his minions once and for all in the series finale "World War G". The alternate Godzillas once again play a pivotal role in the ongoing "Destroy All Godzillas" arc, in which an interdimensional portal located at Godzilla's toilet is allowing the Godzillas of other universes to pass into the main dimension. Unfortunately, this includes Destroyerzilla as well.
- The Alcoholic
- Alcoholic Parent: He sure drinks a lot.
- Back from the Dead: He meets his first demise when he goes into meltdown mode and eventually perishes in a huge explosion while holding Monster X at bay, but comes back to life after he and King Ghidorah beat Lord Blundergosh at a game of Beer Pong. Later in the series, he and the other buddies go back in time to kill themselves in the past in order to undo the apocalypse caused by Cthulhu, but are brought back after the Gods agree to rebuild the universe from scratch.
- Fat Bastard: Subverted in that he may be an overweight jerk and was verbally abusive towards both Zilla and Minilla, but he is always there for his friends and has changed into a better parent for his kids.
- Heroic Sacrifice: While he is dying as Burning Godzilla, he uses himself as a living bomb to kill Monster X, who unfortunately turns out to be the disguised Xilien sent as a decoy.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Is rough, brash, cynical and short-tempered but beneath those coarse scales beats a gentle heart.
- Jaded Washout: After his attempts at training to face King Ghidorah go poorly (he grows out of this eventually);Godzilla: I don't know. Look at me...I used to be the king. Now I'm a fat, old, fat joke. When I was young, I could have won this fight easily.
- Took a Level in Kindness: During Season 4, after Zilla and Minilla proved themselves in battle, Godzilla grew to love them and has since been a lot more caring of them.
One of Godzilla's friends, Rodan is a short tempered, womanizing and envious Pteranodon. Since the beginning of the show, Rodan has had a crush on Mothra, but his chances in confessing his love are usually ruined when King Ghidorah makes his move.
- Always Someone Better: He lives in the shadow of his older brother, Brodan, who is more handsome, athletic and talented that Rody could ever dream of. Brodan is well aware of this and loves to rub it in Rodan's face.
- Blow You Away: Rodan's main set of powers
- Butt-Monkey: He's gotten lots of disgraces through the curse of the series, and usually gets his ass kicked pretty easily in most battles.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied. Among the many things he hoards is a gun which he claims, reminds him of "a happier time".
- Disney Death: In the season 2 finale, Rodan flies into Mecha-King Ghidorah and explodes with him to ensure his bomb won't destroy Monster Island. However, rather than killing him, it is revealed the explosion powered him as Fire Rodan instead.
- Giant Flyer: He's Rodan after all.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He will literaly fly into a rage at the slightest provocation.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He has done two of these! The first one was to stop Mecha-King Ghidorah, the second one was to save Mothra Larva from Battra and Orga. Both were thankfully non-fathal.
- Interspecies Romance: Rodan is a pterosaur and has feelings for Mothra, a giant moth.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Rodan is highly wrahtful and vindictive, but his love for Mothra is genuine and the bond with his companions remains pretty strong.
- Large Ham: Subtlety isn't one of his virtues.
- No Indoor Voice: He constantly speaks as if he were whispering loudly.
- Playing with Fire: When he became Fire Rodan, he gained these powers.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Has shades of this. Rodan can be quite immature at times and usually throws rather violent, destructive tantrums whenever he feels things aren't going his way or whenever another monster is after something he wants for himself.
- Happily Married: He finally married Mothra after all this time!
The third member of the Monster Island Buddies, Jet Jaguar is an excellent contrast. Unlike the lazy, alcoholic Godzilla or the womanizing, jealous Rodan, Jet is a happy go-lucky and easygoing fellow.
- 100% Adoration Rating: The L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S consider Jet a much better leader than Spacegodzilla, given he doesn't have an unhealthy obsession with killing Godzilla unlike the latter and is a fairly reasonable boss who brings tasty snacks for everybody.
- Adorkable: He's a huge lovable sweetheart.
- Camp Straight: Jet's mannerisms can be a tad effeminate, but he's pretty much heterosexual as shown by his romances with Hedorah and M.O.G.U.E.R.A
- FaceHeel Turn: After going through a Trauma Conga Line, Jet becomes the new leader of L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S.
- Nice Guy: Is cheerful, affectionate and just plain delightful.
- '90s Anti-Hero: Parodied when he dons a black leather trench coat, adopts a gruff voice, and seeks revenge on the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S. for causing Rodan to die.
- The Pollyanna
- Real Men Can Cook: He likes to bake desserts like muffins and brownies.
- All Animals Are Dogs: Anguirus acts like a dog.
- Angry Guard Dog: Anguirus behaves as one when Monster Island is threatened.
- Big Friendly Kaiju
- The Chessmaster: A heroic example who caused several events that would lead to Minilla being realized as the chosen one.
- Furry Confusion: Even though he is a kaiju like all the other characters, he acts just like a dog.
- Suddenly Voiced: One line: We live our lives old chap. We live our lives.
- Now he talks much more often.
- Team Pet: Is this towards Minya
- He Is All Grown Up: When he returns to Monster Island
- Put on a Bus: Was sent to live with his mother, Gorgo after a while.
- The Bus Came Back: After hearing about Burning Godzilla dying, he returns to Monster Island.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies due to a severe asthma attack.
- The Ace
- Put on a Bus / The Bus Came Back: Left Monster Island after finding out Lord Blundergosh was Real After All. But he comes back to help the Monster Island Buddies when Cloverfield kills Baragon.
- Religious Stereotype: Was revealed to be this while rehabilitating Godzilla for his Drug Addiction. He states that his Lord and Savior was Lord Blundergosh. It was later revealed that it was all a ruse by coincidence.
- The Rival: Was this to Godzilla for quite a while early on, until his ruined fame knocked him down a peg.
- Back from the Dead: Thanks to Minilla's efforts.
- HeelFace Turn: Was originally evil before the show began.
- The Smart Guy: Known for designing all kinds of inventions including a time machine.
- The Ditz
- Gasshole: He passes gas a lot, even when he tries to breath fire. He eventually gains the ability to shoot fire out of his butt.
- Genius Ditz: He may be a dimwit for the most part, but he managed to build a fully functioning attack robot (With the assistance of Mechagodzilla).
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: After beating Kaizer Ghidorah, Minilla grows up to be Godzilla from Godzilla2014!
- Took a Level in Badass: Not only when he built the giant robot, but also when he finally uses his fire powers to beat both King Kong and Mechani-Kong!
- He has taken yet another level in badass by taking down Kaizer Ghidorah
- Took yet another by fighting Cloverfield, surviving a bite that killed Baragon, and ultimately using the "Kiss of Death" to kill Cloverfield.
- The Unfavorite: Godzilla never liked him very much, but it only got worse when Zilla returns all grown up. After helping Burning Godzilla with saving the day, he is no longer this.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Becomes this when he records Godzilla having sex with Mothra on his video camera; King Kong steals the camera and shows the video to Fire Rodan, which leads to Fire Rodan turning Godzilla into Burning Godzilla.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Immediately after he is killed off, Godzilla completely forgets about him during his own funeral.
- Killed Off for Real: Subverted because as it turns out, he was faking his death when the Cloverfield monster attacks him. Overlaps with...
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: His decision when he notices how violent things have gotten on Monster Island. He leaves the island to pursue a career in acting. He even became the new Ultraman!
- Those Two Guys: With King Caesar.
- You Are Fat: Is frequently called this by Ultraman.
- Angry Black Man: King Caesar is a mostly likable and affable fellow. Should you get on his bad side, however... Gabara learned it the hard way.
- Beware of the Nice Ones: When he is constantly pushed by Gabara, and the truce is over, King Caesar proceeds to beat the stuffing out of him.
- Black Best Friend: Especially to Godzilla and Baragon.
- The Charmer
- Demoted to Extra: After his voice actor began to lose contact with the Creator, King Caesar began to get smaller roles, and was officially retired after his voice actor died.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He is the nicest of all the jerks with hearts of gold.
- Those Two Guys: With Baragon.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Has constantly switched between the good monsters and the bad monsters.
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Super-Powered Evil Side: His Millennium design serves as this.
- Frontline General: Of the dystopian Ghidorah-ruled future.
- Big Bad Wannabe: He becomes the leader of the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S. after the evil monsters lose the war and Cthulhus defeat, but hes pretty incompetent and quickly gets deposed by Girlgan and later Jet Jaguar.
- Fat Bastard
- Godzilla, I Am Your Half-Brother: Thanks to Gojira humping a space meteor.
- Vocal Dissonance: For such a big fat monster, he has a slightly nasally voice.
- The Eeyore
- Pet the Dog: Megalon appears in a PSA where he explains and shows support for those with depression.
- Would Hit a Girl / Would Hurt a Child: Notable for being the first villain to hurt both Mothra and Minilla, albeit reluctantly.
- You Need to Get Laid
The only human member of the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S. and the creator of Mecha-Godzilla. He is instantly killed off by Titanosaurus.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The reason he joined the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S. was because of not receiving a newsletter from Godzilla for a contest he entered when he was young.
- Killed Off for Real: Titanosaurus decapitates him and proceeds to violate his body. He returns as a ghost in a Halloween special to try and get revenge on Godzilla, but leaves after Godzilla gives him the newsletter he was promised.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: The only human member of the team.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
King Ghidorah/Mecha-King Ghidorah
- Back from the Dead: Courtesy of Godzilla winning a game of beer pong against Lord Blundergosh.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Has been known to frequently switch between the different sides of the monsters.
- Killed Off for Real: He is fatally wounded by Grand King Ghidorah, and transfers his energy to Mothra, turning her into Fire Mothra.
- Speak in Unison: All three of his heads speak at the same time due to not being disciplined to use one head at a time.
- We Can Rebuild Him: After being killed the first time, the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S. rebuilt him as Mecha-King Ghidorah.
- Your Cheating Heart: King Ghidorah has consistently had sex with Mothra, but he had sex with Hedorah on the side. The exposure of this is what causes King Ghidorah to go through his first FaceHeel Turn.
- Taking You with Me: As Mecha-King Ghidorah, he has a bomb powerful enough to destroy Monster Island in his body...that he doesn't know of until the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S actually set it off.
Monster X/Kaizer Ghidorah
- Affably Evil
- The Chessmaster
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: His son, King Ghidorah
- Evil Sounds Deep
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Is this towards his father, Grand King Ghidorah.
Grand King Ghidorah
- Grumpy Old Man
- Fantastic Racist: Has an extreme disdain for Divine Moths, and flips out when he realizes his grandson had relations with one.
- Back from the Dead: He successfully fooled a God into reviving him through a couple of disguises.
- Shapeshifter Baggage: Able to take shape of every monster he has encountered, size does not matter for him.
- Killed Off for Real: It takes Anguirus, Little Godzilla, Baby Godzilla, and Mothra to finally kill him off.
- Undying Loyalty: To Monster X
Godzilla's father and the original King of the Monsters, he was killed by the humans with the Oxygen Destroyer. Or so everyone thought. In truth, Gojira took decades to fully regenerate and he has returned to destroy all the other monsters, except for the Godzilla family. He was also responsible for setting up the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S.! He is permanently dead once Lord Blundergosh takes him away to the afterlife.
- Abusive Parents: He is this towards Godzilla.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Cthulhu uses his powers to turn him into Shin Godzilla after he betrays him, turning him into his mindless servant.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He really does not like working with Cthulhu.
- Extreme Omnisexual: He has had sex with a meteor and a potted plant.
- Man Behind the Man: He was the one that truly organized the L.E.S.B.I.A.N.S., rather than Destoroyah.
- Offing the Offspring: Attempted to do this to Godzilla when he refused to break the truce between the Divine Moths and the Ghidorahs.
- Pet the Dog: He has been known to be nice to Godzilla during his birthdays.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Just look at the above quote.
- Walking Spoiler Not so much the character himself, but rather the fact that he is still alive.
- We Can Rule Together: Offers Godzilla to join him, Space Godzilla, and Biollante as they destroy all life!
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Genius Bruiser: Intelligent and fairly strong.
- Manipulative Bastard: King Kong has managed to manipulate Fire Rodan into attacking Godzilla, causing him to become Burning Godzilla and die. Then King Kong fooled Gorosaurus into breaking the truce (Due to him not knowing about the truce in the first place).
- The Sociopath: Is fully capable of lying in front of people, uses others for his own personal gain, manipulates the emotions of others, is obsessed with having the rematch with Godzilla, and will do anything to be King of the Monsters.
- Would Hurt a Child: Threatened to eat Minilla when he caught him recording his plans.
- Killed Off for Real: Gorosaurus beats him to death in a fit of rage.
- Child Prodigy: As a child, she was responsible for programming Jet Jaguar with free will.
- Combat Tentacles
- Daddy's Girl
- Daddy's Little Villain
- Evil Genius: She still retains her intellect in her adulthood and almost manages to kill off all of the mechanical kaiju by hacking into their systems.
- Love Redeems: Sort of... Varan's philosophy of peace gets to Biollante and she ends up cancelling the hacking of the mechanical kaiju, saving them from death.
- By the time the final season came by, Baragon lampshades this by mentioning how many monsters have defected from the Evil Monsters and joined the Monster Island Buddies, with Biollante among some of those monsters.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: She used to be nice to Godzilla back when they were kids, but as a grown-up, she is antagonistic.
- Affably Evil
- Big Eater: His other defining characteristic
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: One of his defining characteristics
- Fat Bastard: He is the fattest monster on Monster Island.
- Genius Bruiser
Mechagodzilla 3/Kiryu/Future Godzilla
- Undying Loyalty: To the Ghidorahs
An obnoxious kaiju that was hired to beat up Godzilla's friends (Specifically King Ceasar and Baragon). Absolutely no one likes him for his constant harassing and terrible jokes.
- The Bully
- The Scrappy: In-Universe example, due to everyone, including the narrator at one point, hating him.
- Shock and Awe: He has electric powers
- Verbal Tic: He brays like a donkey at times
A new monster who was recruited by the Ghidorahs to fight alongside them during the Monster Island War.
- Blood Knight: His sadistic and bloodthirsty ways are immediately seen when he viciously murders Baragon while praising the Ghidorahs.: Cloverfield: The Ghidorahs will bathe in your blood!
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Lean and Mean
- Killed Off for Real: By Minilla, of all kaiju.
King Kong SonThe son of King Kong who seeks to reunite with his father in another dimension.
- Put on a Bus to Hell: Trapped in the dimension with the annoying giant bugs.
GirlganGigans evil sister who came in to check on Gigans progress.
Dr. Gori Karras
An evil alien simian scientist who were banished from their planet to earth. Unfortunately, when he got their he was taken in by a Ghidorah spaceship and he hijacked the ship. Now Dr. Gori is working on a plan to seek revenge and conquer Earth For the Evulz.
Dr. Goris dumb assistant who was banished along with Dr. Gori.
Godzilla: earth 1215-84
An evil version of Godzilla from an alternate dimension who seeks to destroy all Godzillas.
- Ax-Crazy: He killed Earl just for making a rhetorical comment about him.
- Extreme Omnisexual: He has humped a lightbulb, a rubber ducky, a skeleton, a sock, a baby penguin, a nutcracker, Ultraman, and Earl's corpse.
- Insane Equals Violent
- Laughing Mad
- Verbal Tic: Compare to Laughing Mad
- Identity Amnesia: He used to be highly intelligent, but being hit on the head caused him to turn into the giggling, sex-crazed jerk he is. He returns to his old self in the dystopian future.
- Verbal Tic: Frequently says "Hello!" at the end of her statements.
Baby Godzilla and Little Godzilla
- Baby Talk
- Evil-Detecting Babies: They were not at all fooled by Alien X's Zilla disguise.
- Flat Character: Described as this by the creator.
King Kong's personal slave on Skull Island for years. He is known for being frequently screwed over and getting himself knocked down. In the end, he is a kaiju seeking respect, but never receiving it. He was also the fourth Monster Island Buddy.
- The Ditz: He's even dumber than Minilla.
- The Dog Bites Back: After King Kong's plan fails, he gets his revenge on him by beating him to death.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?
- Extreme Doormat
- No Indoor Voice
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: King Kong tricks him into breaking the truce, causing the Ghidorahs and Divine Moths to go to war.
Godzilla's ex-wife from his first marriage and the mother of Minilla. She seeks custody over Minilla and despite her sour disposition, truly cares about her son. She was the girlfriend of Gorosaurus and later King Kong.
- Gold Digger
- Mama Bear
- Surprise Incest: It is revealed towards the end of the series that Jirass, Godzilla's 1st Wife, is revealed to also be Godzilla's own Mother as well, after she was left in the past and fell in love with Gojira.
- Nice Character, Mean Actor
- Killed Off for Real: If his battery runs out, this is what happens to him. Zoffy also refuses to revive him again unless he proves himself a hero.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After his resurrection, hes still a Jerkass, but his behavior is Played for Laughs much more often than before, and he occasionally engages in genuinely heroic actions like saving Godzillas life from Mecha-Ghidorah.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: After his resurrection.
The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man
Kumonga and Kamarucas
- Killed Off for Real: They both get burned to death by Shin Godzilla, and didnt make any reappearances before they were officially retired in respect for their deceased voice actor.
- Those Two Guys
- Hero Antagonist: He intends to destroy all the monsters on Monster Island... that easily destroy mankind if they wanted to.
The Space-Time Pair of Ducks
The gods of Time and Space, in the form of a Pair of Ducks.
- Stealth Pun: Their names are a play on the term "Paradox," since Godzilla continuously mispronounces the term as "Pair of Ducks" when being told about said paradox by Mr. Fantastic
- Time Police: One a divine level, considering they are gods of Time and Space.
The fabled God of the Monsters that Gamera worships.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus
- Extra Eyes: Lord Blundergosh has seven eyes.
- King of All Cosmos
- Real After All
- Walking Spoiler: Not the character himself, but the fact that he is real.
The devil of Monsters that Gamera is haunted by.
The Highest God among all that overseas everything.
- God: Most important one of them all.