Team 7 (Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Kakashi Hatake) | Team 8 (Hinata Hyuga) | Team 10 | Team Guy | The Legendary Sannin | Hokages | The Uchiha Clan | Other Leaf Village Members | Hidden Sand Village (Gaara) | Hidden Mist Village | Hidden Cloud Village | Hidden Stone Village | Hidden Sound Village (Orochimaru) | Akatsuki (Itachi Uchiha, Tobi, Pain/Nagato) | Madara Uchiha | Other Characters | Hebi/Taka | Tailed Beasts and Their Hosts | Otsutsuki Clan | Anime-Only Characters | Movie-Only Characters | Novel-Only Characters | Game-Only Characters | The New Era
Here be spoilers. Anything that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
Alongside Team 7, Team 8 was the only team not to lose any members throughout Part II (Team 10 losing Asuma, Team Guy losing Neji), though Kurenai herself was put on maternity leave to take care of her daughter. Hinata eventually married Naruto and the two settled down and had two children, Boruto Uzumaki and Himawari Uzumaki, while Kiba started dating Tamaki, and Shino became a teacher at the Academy.
The character sheet for Hinata had become large enough to be separated into a character page. You can find her page here.
All provide examples of:
- Adaptational Early Appearance: Kiba, Shino, and Hinata appeared in episode 1 while Kurenai appear in episode 3 of the anime, which takes place before the events of the Chunin Exams.
- Breakout Character: Kiba (the 'Naruto Type') started off as the loudmouthed antagonistic foil who also wanted to become Hokage in the Chuunin Exams. Later Hinata (the 'Sakura Type') stood up to Pain for Naruto's sake, brought Naruto out of despair after Neji's death, and got a canonical movie devoted to telling the story of how she and Naruto fell in love and became the main Official Couple.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Kiba's the Fighter as he primarily fights with taijutsu, using his ninjutsu to further enable this. Hinata is the Mage, her attacks are a lot more decisively fatal when properly employed, but she's not as tough as Kiba. Shino's the Thief, using bug ninjutsu to attack and misdirect his opponents rather than meet them head-on.
- Geodesic Cast: A loud guy and a quiet guy (relative to each other), a girl, and an adult in charge. All teams of the Konoha 12 mirror the template set by Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi, respectively. This extends to most groups in the entire Ninja World, not just Naruto's friends.
- Out of Focus: Easily the team with the least focus out of the ones introduced, with three out of four of them (Shino, Kiba, Kurenai) being Demoted to Extra fairly early on in Shippuden, with only sporadic appearances.
- Super Mode: Naruto gives all of the Konoha 12 (except the deceased Neji) his Animal Battle Aura via his Chakra Transfer technique and later he gives his peers even more power, allowing them to manifest his Badass Longcoat Battle Aura to deal the final blow to Obito.
- ¡Three Amigos!: All the teams of the Konoha 12 in the series follow this layout for some arbitrary reason or another.
- True Companions: All of the teams of the Konoha 12, plus Team 7. Emphasized more in the fillers.
Voiced by: Kosuke Toriumi (JP), Kyle Hebert (EN), Doug Erholtz (EN, Episode 3), Juan D'Ors (Spain), Enzo Fortuny (Latin America), Xavier Percy (French)
Debut: Naruto Chapter 34 (Manga), Naruto Episode 1 (Anime)
Member of Team 8. Kiba is a wild, untamed ninja from the Inuzuka clan, a family of dog breeders. As such, he's never seen without his loyal pooch, a Great Pyranees named Akamaru. Kiba utilizes him as both a partner and a weapon, and later as a transport.
He treats Hinata like a younger sister, fights with his ultra-serious partner Shino and, after initially mocking him, considers Naruto one of his closest friends.
Kiba fights Naruto in the preliminary rounds of the Chunin Exams, which is one of the latter's first big solo fights in the series. Kiba tries a number of attacks and strategies to beat Naruto, but the kid just won't stay down. Later, Kiba is recruited by Shikamaru for the Sasuke Retrieval team, fights and is nearly killed by Sakon, and is saved by Kankuro.
Among Kiba's abilities is a heightened sense of smell, which makes him especially effective at tracking. He is also one of the fastest seen ninjas. In battle, Kiba can transform Akamaru into a clone of himself, allowing them to use combination attacks such as the tornado-like Fang Over Fang. He can also make himself more bestial in nature, increasing his speed and strength, and can combine with Akamaru to become a two-headed wolf. In Part II, he has developed his sense of smell to the point that it is superior to that of a dog's. When the Fourth Shinobi World War started, he was placed in the Fifth Division along with Shino, his sister Hana, and Ino.
After the events of the war, Kiba's dream of becoming Hokage was never realized, though he does settle down years later with his new love interest, Tamaki, a beautiful girl with a fondness for cats.
- Animal Motifs: Dogs, given his clan's technique, are combining shinobi/kunoichi with their canine partner and his physical characteristics are akin to a canine (vertical slit-like pupils, pronounced canine teeth, and nails that he can change into claws).
- Beast Man: Fights much like a dog, especially with his All Fours Jutsu.
- The Beastmaster: The basis of the Inuzuka clan's secret techniques is combining ones prowess with a dog trained in ninjutsu from a young age.
- Big Brother Instinct: Kiba has become very close to Hinata and acts brotherly toward her, but tends to worry about her, urging her to be strong before the second phase of the exam, and to forfeit rather than face a dangerous opponent.
- Big Eater: In the omake of Shippuden Episode 95 he takes part to a ramen eating contest, and manages to eat 20 bowls of ramen in 20 minutes before fainting.
- Big Sister Worship: Kiba's actions reveal that he is very close to his older sister, Hana Inuzuka.
- Blood Knight: He enjoys combat even when facing particularly strong opponents.
- Boisterous Bruiser: To the point of arrogance in his own abilities.
- A Boy and His X: A Boy and His Ninja Dog. Being a member of the Inuzuka clan, Kiba was given his own canine partner at a certain age, which would be Akamaru. The two are practically inseparable.
- The Bully: This is what he used to be to Naruto until they became friends.
- Can't Catch Up: After losing to Naruto in the Chunin Exams (despite being physically stronger than him), Kiba fell behind Naruto until eventually, the gap between the two of them became so large that Kiba lost any hope of ever surpassing Naruto.
- Captain Oblivious: Due in part to how much time he spends with him, Kiba didn't notice Akamaru's massive growth spurt in Part II until Naruto explicitly pointed it out to him.
- Catboy: In the alternate universe of the Filler movie Road To Ninja resulting in Animal Jingoism between him and Akamaru.
- Catchphrase: "Yahooo!"
- Combination Attack: His specialty is doing these with Akamaru.
- Cute Little Fangs: They are similar to canine fangs.
- Dark Is Not Evil: During Part II, each piece of his outfit, including his forehead protector, switched to a black colour.
- Deliberate Injury Gambit: Forced Ukon to stop melding with him by stabbing himself in the gut, causing pain to Ukon as well and forcing him to back off.Kiba: Let's die together.
- Determinator: This guy is just as stubborn as Naruto.
- Disappeared Dad: He once commented that his dad ran away because he was scared of his wife. May or may not have been joking...
- Everything's Better with Spinning: His signature technique, Fang Over Fang, and his ultimate jutsu, WOLF Fang Over Fang, involve transforming Akamaru into a clone of himself (or the fusion that turns them into a two-headed hellhound), and launching themselves at their target at breakneck speeds like a pair of razor-sharp tornadoes.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Dog-like pupils, befitting his overall nature.
- Face Death with Dignity: When Sakon finally tracked him down and had him dead to rights, all Kiba could do was sit there with a solemn smirk and wait for the finishing blow. Thankfully, he was saved by Kankuro in the nick of time.
- Facial Markings: Two red triangles on the cheeks in Princess Mononoke fashion, like all members of the Inuzuka clan.
- Female Feline, Male Mutt: In the epilogue, his significant other is a Kindhearted Cat Lover Tamaki (Nekobaa's granddaughter).
- Food Pills: Before Part II, Kiba and Akamaru had to rely on the use of chakra-boosting Food Pills to efficiently use their ninjutsu.
- Friend to All Living Things: Mostly towards dogs, such as, when he was in his Infinite Tsukuyomi, Kiba dreamed he was Hokage and also desired to have a national holiday for all dogs.
- Fusion Dance: With Akamaru to turn into a giant two headed dog His ultimate technique is to combine this technique with a Shadow Clone to turn into a Cerberus style Hell Hound with a powerful Rolling Attack.
- Glory Seeker: Declares that he will be named Hokage after kicking so much ass in the war. This earns him a strong rebuke from his sister to take war more seriously.Kiba: If I kick enough asses, I might even end up Hokage!
- Head Pet: Akamaru in Part I was small enough to ride on Kiba's head.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: He changes his look in Part II to include this look.
- Heroes Love Dogs: Kiba's main partner is ninja dog Akamaru.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: His keen sense of smell turns into quite the horrible experience when Naruto (accidentally) farts in his face.
- Honorary Uncle: To Naruto and Hinata's daughter, Himawari.
- Horse of a Different Color: Kiba can ride on Akamaru in Part II.
- Hot-Blooded: Kiba is short tempered and arrogant, although not in a malicious way.
- Idiot Hero: Kiba is thick-headed, and Akamaru is more rational than him.
- Jerkass: He especially was one towards Naruto before being defeated by him. He can still be one at times, though not as much.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's brash, arrogant, and Hot-Blooded. Kiba also cares for his teammates, has a deep bond with Akamaru, acts as a big brother to Hinata, and is a good guy at heart.
- Kick the Dog: In his battle with Naruto, he scoffs at Naruto's dream of being Hokage."You? Hokage? You can't even beat me! No-one's deluded enough to think that you have what it takes to become the next Hokage, not even you! Tell you what, though I'll become Hokage in your place!"
- The Leader: Headstrong internally. He has ambitions of going all the way up to Hokage too that no one takes seriously since he's constantly Out of Focus and doesn't have as much going for him as anyone on Team 7. Among Shrinking Violet Hinata and The Stoic Shino, loudmouth Kiba is the one that takes charge of Team 8.
- Lineage Comes from the Father: Inverted. Kiba takes after his mother Tsume, in both his clan name and fighting style.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Kiba's main fighting strategy. Even when other characters warn him about charging ahead he still can't help himself.
- Lightning Bruiser: Very strong and very fast. His only problem is his Naruto-like behavior.
- Love at First Sight: Kiba with Tamaki in "The Beast that was Shot by Love!!" manga omake. Akamaru, however, disapproves.
- Meaningful Name: Kiba means "fang" and Inuzuka literally means "hill of dogs".
- Messy Hair: Kiba has messy, brown hair.
- Mr. Fanservice: Much less than Kakashi or Sasuke, but he still has a dedicated female fandom.
- The Nose Knows: His most useful ability. Of course, Naruto has used it against him at least twice.
- Official Couple: With Tamaki.
- Opposites Attract: Kiba, a dog lover, is in a relationship with Tamaki, a cat lover.
- Only Sane Man: With Shikamaru in regards to Sasuke's announcement of wanting to become Hokage.
- Papa Wolf: Kiba — Never ever threaten Akamaru if you know what's good for you.
- The Patriarch: Akamaru by the epilogue; he is a dog after all.
- Pet the Dog: Warning Hinata to forfeit if matched up against Neji or Gaara - the former due to his hatred for Hinata; the latter them having seen kill three ninjas without remorse; and both of them being much stronger than Hinata.
- Primal Stance: His Four Legs jutsu which gives him beast like agility and the ability to move his hands and feet like a dog.
- Real Men Eat Meat: Kiba's favorite foods are beef jerky and cartilage.
- Running on All Fours: He usually will do this performing one of his jutsus.
- Red Is Heroic: He has red Facial Markings that resemble fangs.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's the brash and outspoken Red to The Stoic Shino's Blue.
- Rolling Attack: Kiba's ultimate technique the Tail-Chasing Spinning Fang is a Sonic the Hedgehog esque buzzsaw technique executed in the form of a Hell Hound.
- Shipper on Deck: He seems to approve of Hinata's attraction to Naruto and even considers it to be mutual; when the entire Alliance arrives to back up Naruto, Bee, Kakashi, and Guy in Chapter 611, Kiba cheerfully ribs Naruto about "acting tough" in Hinata's presence to look cool in front of her. He's probably one of the first people to notice Hinata's feelings for Naruto, giving a few contemplative glances to this effect during the Chunin Exams arc.
- Shout-Out: To Princess Mononoke. He borrows many elements from San: his facial marking, his feral attitude, strong bond with canines, complete with wolf/dog riding. Adult!Akamaru even looks like Mononoke Hime's twin young wolves.
- Super Senses: Like the rest of his clan, Kiba has razor-sharp smelling skills.
- This Is a Drill: Tunneling Fang (Tsuga), Fang over Fang (Gatsuga) and Double Wolf Fang (Garouga) are taijutsu techniques which involve rapidly spinning and drilling into the enemy with their claws.
- Took a Level in Badass: As a member of the Inuzuka clan, Kiba possesses enhanced canine-related human skills, his most powerful being his sense of smell. By concentrating his chakra in his nose, Kiba can make his sense of smell a thousand times more sensitive than average, making it easy for him to distinguish people by their scent, as seen during his fight against Naruto. In Part II, Kiba stated that his sense of smell was stronger than that of a ninja hound a feat that impressed Kakashi after he located Sasuke, noting that the Inuzuka clan must be proud of him.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Losing to Naruto forced Kiba to gain a sense of humility. He's still kind of a Jerkass, but he has learned not to mock his opponents.
- Unknown Rival: To Naruto. He still can't believe he Can't Catch Up to the dead last in his graduating class. Naruto, of course, has no clue about this.
- Wolverine Claws: Kiba's taijutsu style revolves around the use of his claws which are extended with ninjutsu.
Voiced by: Shinji Kawada (JP), Sam Riegel (EN, episodes 23-24, and 27), Derek Stephen Prince (EN, episode 34+), Alejandro Martínez (Spain), Oscar Flores (Latin America), Alexandre Crepet (French)
Debut: Naruto Chapter 34 (Manga), Naruto Episode 1 (Anime)
Member of Team 8. Stoic and serious but well-meaning, Shino is also host to a large colony of chakra-eating insects lurking in his body, as is traditional in his clan. He commands these bugs in combat, in ways ranging from cool to creepy, and everything in between. He shows almost no emotion and hardly ever smiles; this, coupled with his insects, makes him an enigma among other shinobi, and some are visibly creeped out by him.
He was a member of the Fifth Division of the Shinobi Alliance with his fellow Team 8 member Kiba. Years after the Fourth Shinobi World War comes to an end, Shino becomes a new instructor at the Ninja Academy and goes on to teach the new generation of ninjas, similar to Iruka.
- The Ace: It's downplayed, but like Maito Gai, Shino never loses a fight outside of filler in the original series.
- Adaptive Ability: A very realistic take at that: in the anime, he created a new breed of kikaichu to fight Guren's Crystal Release, by breeding the offsprings of a female that just barely survived the first contact with it, which is very similar to how insects become resistant to pesticides over time in Real Life.
- Animal Motifs: Like his clan, Shino uses the bugs that dwell within his body as weapons.
- Anti-Hero: Probably the best example of the Konoha 12, not counting Sasuke.
- Badass Arm-Fold: At least once, though his fighting style probably allows him to pull this off on other occasions.
- Badass Bookworm: Like Shikamaru, Shino prevails in battles by systematically staying several steps ahead of the enemy, as well as keeping a good distance away to avoid his enemies' attacks.
- Badass Longcoat: Even justified since the coat helps hide the bugs he's not currently keeping in his body.
- Badass Teacher: Becomes an Academy instructor in the epilogue.
- Beetle Maniac: His entire arsenal is composed of terrifying beetles.
- Big Eater: As shown in the omake to Shippuden Episode 95, where he took part to a ramen eating contest and managed to eat 18 bowls in 10 minutes before fainting. Justified because he eats for his bugs too.
- Biggus Dickus: Naruto starts screaming about gigantic larvae sitting on his lap in the bathhouse. It's not a larva.
- Butt-Monkey: In the Boruto anime, he's an academy teacher. But he's barely respected by his students and he struggles with the lack of recognition from them. He even consulted with his retired sensei Kurenai, who told him that everyone knows he isn't good at teaching, but that he should continue and do it as he sees fit. This gets downplayed during and after graduation, with his former students generally treating him with respect and appreciation.
- Combat Pragmatist: Very ruthless and creative with his bugs during combat. During his fight with Zaku in the Chunin Exams, he offhandedly mentioned that he stuffed Zaku's arm tubes with bugs before the fight even began.
- The Comically Serious: Most of the humor around Shino comes from his complete deadpan monotone and serious personality.
- Cool Shades: And by extension Sunglasses at Night. After the time skip, they look more like goggles. His glasses evolve, just like his bugs. First, they were Sinister Shades, then they were Goggles, after that Triangle Shades, and finally they ended up as a Cyberpunk One-Way Visor.
- Creepy Good: Everyone, including his teacher Kurenai, is visibly spooked and creeped out by his powers.
- Creepy Monotone: He always speaks in one, even to a comical degree.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Shino control bugs, that are colored black, and he's a Creepy Good hero.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Shino appears to be one of the few canonically-labeled "geniuses" who doesn't get a legion of in-series fans. In fact, many of his friends (Naruto, Kiba, Torune, etc.) seem to go out of their way to point out his faults.
- Eaten Alive: Shino's ultimate technique is to insert flesh-eating insects inside his opponent's body where they devour their flesh and chakra from the inside and grow to enormous size.
- Energy Absorption: His destruction beetles.
- Fluffy Tamer: His idea of heaven involves finding and riding a terrifying insect monster.
- Friend to All Children: A filler episode has Shino talking to Academy students on being a ninja. He would go on to become the Academy instructor.
- Friend to Bugs: He has names for every one of them.
- Gag Penis: In Prologue to Road to Ninja, which Naruto mistakes for a giant worm.
- Generation Xerox: Greatly resembles his father in both looks and dress.
- Good Is Not Nice: Shino is pragmatic sometimes to the point of cruelty and devised a plan that killed another team from his own village (in the manga) to get a scroll in the Chunin Exams.
- Guile Hero: Due to his brutally pragmatic and underhanded approach to almost anything. His first fight was over before it started due to him filling his opponent's arm tubes with bugs before the match even began.
- Heroic BSoD: Shino has one in Konoha Hiden when he becomes convinced that the rest of Team 8 is moving on without him. The thought of being left behind scares him so much that he considers becoming The Hermit to avoid rejection.
- Heroic Host: To a colony of Life Energy eating beetles.
- In the Hood: In Part II he adds a hooded coat to his wardrobe until the epilogue.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shino is ruthless in combat and isn't really an open person, but he values his teammates, and has shown to be quite brave.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: With just a tap, he can put bugs inside you to eat you from the inside out and they grow in size depending on how much chakra is given!
- No Mouth: His mouth is almost always concealed by Part 1 and Part 2. but at the fourth Shinobi war, Epilogue and the Boruto series his mouth is exposed.
- Not So Stoic:
- He gets quite upset (although he doesn't show it much) when people ignore him, fail to recognize him or leave him out of things.
- And his inability to let go of the fact that he was left out on the Sasuke Retrieval Mission that still haunts him every day for the next four years and counting.
- In the anime fillers, he's shown to be visibly (but understandably) freaked out by anteaters and insectivorous plants.
- The reason for his large eyewear in Boruto? He cries too often because his students disparage the trading card that's based on him because it is common and weak.
- OOC Is Serious Business: During the "Laughing Shino" episode, when he eats a poison that forces him to laugh uncontrollably, Naruto immediately realizes that just the fact that Shino is laughing means that something is wrong with the food.
- Pest Controller: Shino's ninjutsu revolves around controlling Life Energy eating beetles that use his body as a hive.
- The Quiet One: He is notably quite quiet and for this reason let Kiba lead the team during the Chunin Exams.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's The Stoic Blue to Kiba's brash and outspoken Red.
- Running Gag: That he is never recognized because his entire body is covered. Also his endless pouting over being left out of of the mission to retrieve Sasuke, and subsequent insistence that the mission was a failure because he did not come along.
- To a lesser degree, his bugs tend to be eaten when he uses them.
- Security Blanket: Shino admits that his hood and jacket function as such in Konoha Hiden. He won't take them off even when his suspicious appearance jeopardizes the mission.
- Shipper on Deck: In Shippuden Episode 279, Shino refers to Hinata's feelings for Naruto as the most crucial secret of the Allied Forces, much to her embarrassment.
- Specs of Awesome: Wear oval, black sunglasses and has proven to be a promising ninja.
- The Spock: Shino is the most stoic and strategically ruthless of Team 8.
- The Stoic: Shino is almost always completely unflappable.
- Played With in one filler arc where Shino is infected with a poison that makes him laugh uncontrollably while on a mission. He threatens to kill Naruto if he tells anyone about it.
- The Strategist: It didn't take him much time to work out how to completely crippled Zaku and Kankuro during their fights.
- He's also pretty Crazy-Prepared. In the anime, he defeats Torune, who is perhaps the strongest Aburame by bringing a new breed of insects that he cultivated with Torune's bugs from a long time ago. This new breed of insects has developed antibodies resistant to Torune's bugs. He did this before having had any reason to expect Torune to ever become an enemy.
- Super Senses: Shino can tell the number of people in an area by putting his ear to the ground.
- The Symbiote: He has a mutually beneficial relationship with the insect colony living inside his body.
- Synchronized Swarming: He can do this with his insects to relay messages or set out battle formations.
- The Teetotaler: Boruto reveals that he doesn't drink, which turns out to be justified when Hanabi causes him to accidentally drink sake. The result, his bugs get drunk too and cause mass devastation.
- Verbal Tic: Shino has an interesting way of speaking. What is it? He likes to explain things after posing a rhetorical question that would normally be left unspoken. For example:Shino: You use puppets, so you're a mid- to long-range type. It looks like you're weak at close combat. Why you ask? Because you must concentrate on operating your puppet. So it seems that the Puppet Technique can easily create a chink in the user's own defense
- Wake-Up Call Boss: In Boruto, he is the first jonin-level ninja to be possessed by the dark aura. While the previous victims (Academy students and civilians) were relatively easily subdued, it takes the greater part of an entire episode to bring him down, and Boruto and co. only succeed because Shino was subconsciously holding back, it being noted that if he was genuinely trying to kill them he probably would have.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: In the fillers, it's revealed he (understandably) hates insectivorous plants and animals like anteaters.
- The Worm That Walks: While not made of bugs, he houses swarms of energy-draining beetles in his body. They've been with him since shortly after his birth, perhaps even more disturbing than simply being composed of the insects—in short, he is basically a human hive. The "Bug Clone" technique, in which the user creates a clone of himself out of those beetles, is more true to this trope.
Voiced by: Rumi Ochiai (JP), Saffron Henderson (EN, Episode 3), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (EN, all other media, as well as the uncut version of episode 3), Olga Velasco (Spain), Ilia Gil (Latin America, original), Anabel Mendez (Latin America, current), Marcha Van Boven (French)
Debut: Naruto Chapter 34 (Manga), Naruto Episode 3 (Anime)
Leader of Team 8.
Kurenai is... well, a kunoichi, who has only recently become a jonin by the start of the series. We don't really learn that much about her in Part I, save that she's a rather cool and demure lady who took Hinata under her wing, skilled in genjutsu, and that she's perhaps involved with Asuma. The vast majority of her team's missions seem to not involve her. Her only plot-involved action was to get knocked around by Itachi Uchiha in a short battle unless you count some of the filler episodes.
In Part II, she appears after the death of Asuma, where we learn that she's carrying his child. She makes sparse appearances afterward, though she still thinks highly of her former students, especially Hinata. Kurenai is last seen in the epilogue with her daughter, Mirai, who goes on to become as talented as her father.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: She uses this tactic twice during the Kurama Clan arc - once on Yakumo and once on her team. Needless to say, it backfires both times.
- Cherry Blossoms: Used in some of her genjutsu techniques.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Asuma — They were teammates in their childhood, entered a romantic relationship as adults, and have a child together.
- Cool Big Sis: To both her team and Shikamaru now.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Seems to have two sets of irises, with the outer irises being red while the inner ones are darker red. Despite Magical Eyes being commonplace in the franchise and Kurenai's own eyes resembling a palette swap of the Rinnegan, this is purely cosmetic.
- Family Versus Career: Justified. Her occupation as a kunoichi is highly hazardous by definition and, since her daughter is already fatherless, continuing her ninja work while her daughter is still very young would be a mistake.
- Flower Motifs: Associated with red poppies, especially in the anime.
- Good Parents: Since becoming a widowed mother, Kurenai proved very capable, raising Mirai to be very cheerful and responsible.
- Her Heart Will Go On: Kurenai was devastated by Asuma's death, but moved on for the sake of their child.
- I Want Grandkids: Her father pretty much said this to her when the Nine-Tails attacked the village and the other children where sheltered and barred from fighting.
- Lady of War: Kurenai was able to put up a good fight against Itachi and Kisame with her genjutsu in Part I.
- Master of Illusion: She's a genjutsu specialist. Her illusion is typically themed around plant life.
- Nice Girl: Kurenai is a caring and brave woman. She shows great care and concern towards her students and takes a vested interest in their growth, especially in regards to Hinata due to knowing full well how Hinata was viewed by her father. Her personality is unyielding, honest, and simple. She is also portrayed as the "big sister type".
- Out of Focus: Well, her team in particular (except for Hinata), she has never been seen together with the said team since Part II started. She seems to have defected to Team 10 given the number of times she has appeared with Shikamaru.
- Parental Substitute: Served as one to Hinata after Hinata's father all but disowned her as his heiress.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Kurenai is a fair-skinned woman of slender build and has long black untamed hair reaching her upper back.
- Satellite Character: Her entire character is centered around her relationship with Asuma, though she is seen interacting with her team a lot more in Part I.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: She and Asuma once or twice denied being a couple, but her pregnancy made the truth obvious.
- Shipper on Deck: Kurenai notices Hinata's crush on Naruto in the Chunin Exams preliminaries and convinces the blond to take the offered medicine.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Kurenai developed a romantic relationship with Former Teen Rebel Asuma, who now acts as responsible Team Dad to his students.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only female among the four main Jonin-senseis.
- Someone to Remember Him By: She got pregnant, not long before Asuma bites the dust.
- Team Mom: Kurenai acts as a motherly figure to her squad, especially to Hinata.
- Underestimating Badassery: During Naruto and Kiba's fight in the Chunin Exams, Kurenai was firmly convinced that Naruto didn't stand a chance at beating Kiba, only to be shocked when he did just that. Nevertheless, she takes it in stride and acknowledges Naruto as a Worthy Opponent.
- The Watson: Regarding Ibiki, a trait associated with her being a new Jonin.
- Widow Woman: After the death of Asuma.
Voiced by: Junko Takeuchi (JP), Jamie Simone (EN), Eduardo Garza (LA Spanish)
Debut: Naruto Chapter 39 (Manga), Naruto Episode 23 (Anime)
Akamaru is Kiba Inuzuka's dog. As with dogs of other members of the Inuzuka Clan, Akamaru is much more than a simple pet, being Kiba's close partner. He accompanies Kiba wherever he goes and assists him in performing techniques.
- Babies Ever After: The epilogue shows that he has a litter of pups.
- Beast of Battle: Kiba fights alongside him.
- Big Friendly Dog: His appearance is similar to multiple large livestock guardian dogs (the Great Pyrenees chief among them, along with the Maremma, the Cuvac, and the Kuvasz) and he undergoes explosive time skip growth, matching the transition from puppyhood to adulthood.
- Canine Companion: To Kiba.
- Canis Major: Akamaru gets a lot bigger in Part II.
- Combination Attack: Part of the reason he always tags along with Kiba is so they can do this.
- Food Pills: Before Part II, Kiba and Akamaru had to rely on the use of chakra-boosting Food Pills to efficiently use their ninjutsu.
- Fusion Dance: He can fuse with Kiba into a giant two headed dog.
- Head Pet: In Part I, he is small enough to ride on Kiba's head.
- Heroic Dog: Known for protecting cats and kids all around Konoha from mean dogs, often as Kiba translates: 'Pick on someone your own size!'
- Horse of a Different Color: Kiba rides on Akamaru in Part II.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: Kiba apparently can understand what he says.
- Long-Lived: By dog standards, Akamaru is incredibly long-lived, as he is still alive in the epilogue, where he is around 23 years old. Though by that time, he looks pretty old and is likely retired.
- Nearly Normal Animal: Unlike Kakashi's ninken, Akamaru does not speak human language and acts mostly like a normal dog, albeit with heightened intelligence.
- Old Dog: In the epilogue.
- The Patriarch: By the epilogue, he is father to a litter of pups and also watches over Tamaki's cats and kittens.
- Satellite Character: He doesn't get much of a character, except for being Kiba's partner and best friend.
- Urine Trouble: He can mark an enemy with his urine making them easy to pinpoint.
- Weaponized Animal: He has a skill that creates a copy of him that is actually a grenade.