Team 7 (Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Kakashi Hatake) | Team 8 (Hinata Hyuga) | Team 10 | Team Guy | The Legendary Sannin | Hokages | The Uchiha Clan | Other Leaf Village Members | Hidden Sand Village (Gaara) | Hidden Mist Village | Hidden Cloud Village | Hidden Stone Village | Hidden Sound Village (Orochimaru) | Akatsuki (Itachi Uchiha, Tobi, Pain/Nagato) | Madara Uchiha | Other Characters | Hebi/Taka | Tailed Beasts and Their Hosts | Otsutsuki Clan | Anime-Only Characters | Movie-Only Characters | Novel-Only Characters | Game-Only Characters | The New Era
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
The Legendary Sannin
The Legendary Sannin ("Three Ninja") are a trio of extremely powerful ninja of Konoha hailed as three of the greatest shinobi of their time. They were students of the Third Hokage in their youth and eventually developed into powerful, feared ninja. Despite being a team and having accomplished great things together, the three members were always in constant disagreement with one another, which Tsunade referred to as a "three-way deadlock". During the Second Shinobi World War in one battle with Hanzo of the Salamander, they were the only Konoha ninja to survive Hanzo's attacks. As a reward for this, Hanzo dubbed them "Konoha's Legendary Sannin", a title that would follow them for the rest of their lives and which they themselves would use with pride. Because of their legendary skills and prowess, each of the Sannin have been considered for the position of Hokage at one time or another. Jiraiya was Hiruzen's preference for the position of Fourth Hokage, but he wasn't interested in the responsibilities. Orochimaru applied for the position, but Hiruzen did not believe Orochimaru had the village's best interests at heart and after death of Hiruzen, Tsunade was made a proposal to become a Hokage which she eventually accepted. Two of them, Jiraiya and Tsunade, play mostly mentor roles, while the third, Orochimaru, is the main antagonist of the first series. All three are in their fifties during the main series, but only Jiraiya looks his age.
Orochimaru's sheet is large and detailed enough to have its own character page.
All the Sannin provide example of:
- Broken Ace: They are some of the most renowned ninjas in the world. They are also some of the most broken individuals, having endured plenty of tragedies.
- Facial Markings: They all have facial markings. Orochimaru has markings around his eyes, Jiraiya has two red tear tracks below his eyes and Tsunade has a diamond-shaped mark on her forehead, which extends to a full face marking when she's using her Creation Rebirth technique.
- Living Legend: All three are very powerful ninjas on par with the Kages (In fact they were all offered the role of Hokage which Tsunade eventually accepted). They all get various moments to show just how badass they are throughout the series.
- Jiraiya was the first point of contact with Pain and actually defeated the first 3 bodies of Pain soundly. He only got taken out by other 3 bodies whom he had no idea of their existence. Pain even doubted his own possibility of winning if Jiraiya had known about the 6 bodies in the beginning. This is an Arc Villain who literally destroyed the Leaf Village and killed/incapacitated everyone in it at the time.
- Most need powerful high level jutsu to do enough damage to invoke the Chunky Salsa Rule, Tsunade just needs to punch.
- Orochimaru fought (a drugged) Jiraiya and (a freaked out) Tsunade without his arms, and it ended in a stalemate. Later, he went mano-a-mano with a Four-Tailed Naruto while maintaining his For the Lulz attitude throughout the whole fight. The man gets mad props for that.
- Old Master: At the start of the series they are 50 years old and very very powerful.
- Only One Name: All of them. Jiraya and Orochimaru do not belong to any clan, but Tsunade belongs to not one, but two notable clans (the Senju and Uzumaki), yet she still lacks a surname.
- Power Trio: Back in the day.
- Public Domain Character: They are based on three main characters from the classic Japanese story Jiraiya Goketsu Monogatari (The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya). Lampshaded when an episode in the anime about Jiraiya has the exact same name as this book.
- Red Baron: "The Toad Sage" (Jiraiya), "The Slug Princess"/"The Legendary Sucker" (Tsunade) and "The White Snake" (Orochimaru).
- Summon Magic: They each can summon an animal; Jiraiya summons toads, Tsunade summons slugs and Orochimaru summons snakes.
Voiced by: Hochu Otsuka (JP), David Lodge (EN), Jesús Rodriguez (Spain), Alfredo Leal (Latin-American Spanish, young), Paco Mauri (Latin-American Spanish, adult), Olivier Cuvellier (French)
Debut: Naruto Chapter 90 (Manga), Naruto Episode 52 (Anime)
The legendary Toad Mountain Sage, Jiraiya is a randy loner who spends much of his time Walking the Earth. His first appearance in the series was during the Chunin exam arc, when he knocked out Naruto's trainer when the latter caught him peeking on a women's shower. Naruto (who had no clue as to the old man's true identity and power, and called him "pervy sage") subsequently badgered him into continuing his training personally.
Jiraiya is basically indolent and shuns responsibility, despite his great skill as a ninja. The village elders initially offered him the position of Hokage after the Third's death, but he turned it down because he knew he'd screw it up and then he suggested Tsunade as an a better option. He makes most of his money from writing the pornographic novels that are a runaway hit in the Naruto universe (the same ones Kakashi is never seen without), and would much rather spend his time drinking, gambling, and wenching than doing anything serious. Nevertheless, Jiraiya is a fierce warrior and never backs down when he's really needed, helping to beat back Orochimaru's attack on Konoha in the Chunin Exam arc and always keeping his eyes and ears open regarding the whereabouts of Konoha's enemies, particularly Orochimaru and the Akatsuki.
Prior to the series, Jiraiya spent some time in the home of the great toads, who trained him and prophesied that he would eventually meet and train The Chosen One. (Jiraiya initially believed this person to be Pain, but later came to believe that it was Naruto. (Eventually it was revealed that both were the "Chosen One".) Jiraiya returned to the village after this and operated as part of Konoha's active military for a time along with the other two Sannin. (During this period, he also trained several genin, one of whom would eventually become the Fourth Hokage.) When Orochimaru defected, Jiraiya tried to convince him to return to the village, but his failure to do so shamed him so much that he left the village and wandered alone for many years.
Jiraiya and Orochimaru's relationship is deliberately designed to mirror Naruto and Sasuke's. Sasuke, like Orochimaru, is naturally gifted and believes only in his own personal power, while Naruto, like Jiraiya, had to work his way up and believes in comradeship. Jiraiya gave up on Orochimaru, but Naruto is determined not to do the same for Sasuke.
Jiraiya teaches Naruto the Summoning Jutsu and the Rasengan (which he himself learned from his former student the Fourth Hokage) over the course of the series. He also attempted to find a way to allow Naruto to control his Nine-Tailed Fox transformations, but failed in this and settled for merely suppressing them instead. Many of Jiraiya's techniques are toad-themed as a result of his time in their community; he can summon them to assist him in battle, and can draw on their power to go into a more powerful "Sage Mode". He also has several Fire-Style and Earth-Style techniques, and is implied to know many more, although he does precious little fighting in the series. His presence and power is what keeps Akatsuki away from Naruto for a time; Itachi believes that Jiraiya could beat any two Akatsuki members single-handedly. In Shippuden, it's revealed that Jiraiya is Naruto's godfather, explaining his interest in the boy's safety and development.
At the end of the first series, Jiraiya takes Naruto on a three-year long journey to train in preparation for his future battles with the Akatsuki; this journey forms the Time Skip that separates the two series.
In Shippuden, Jiraiya returns Naruto into Kakashi's keeping, then returns to gathering intelligence on Orochimaru and Akatsuki. Following a tip, he tracks the Akatsuki's leader Pain to the Hidden Rain Village, and engages him in battle. Jiraiya realizes that Pain is a former student of his, although greatly changed, and sends one of his toads with that information back to the village. He uses up all of his tricks, even going Sage Mode, but Pain kills him by crushing his throat with one blow. His final thoughts are of Naruto.
Ultimately, Naruto was able to redeem his former student Nagato through his teachings and is still thought of highly by his friends and loved ones after his death (i.e. Tsunade, Orochimaru, Naruto, etc.)
- The Ace: Similar to Naruto, Jiraiya was originally the loser of his team. By adulthood, however, Jiraiya became one of the strongest ninja in the world and a world-renowned author. What doesn't receive much focus is also the fact that he's an amazingly good teacher. Of his 5 students that receive focus in the series (He had 7, counting Minato's unnamed teammates) Yahiko became the first leader of the Akatsuki back when the goal of the group was to bring peace to the Rain village, Nagato became leader after the formers death, during which time he added a number of notable S-Class ninja to the group, all of whom accepted his leadership, Konan was a member of both iterations of Akatsuki and herself an S-Class ninja, Minato became the 4th Hokage, and Naruto became the 7th Hokage. Jiraiya himself is considered for the position of Hokage on at least 3 separate occasions (Once by the 3rd Hokage, a second time by Konoha's Elders, who were the 3rd's teammates back in the day, and a final time after death, when the Fire Daimyo mentions that he would have liked Jiraiya to take the position had he not died). His skill was acknowledged by both Kisame and Itachi, and even though he loses to Nagato (A fight which still sees him destroying 3 of Nagato's Paths), the latter admits that it's only because Jiraiya was unaware that Nagato had 6 bodies and not just 3. After death, Obito Uchiha also acknowledges Jiraiya's skills and the value of his teaching, claiming that it's amazing he managed to destroy any of Nagato's Paths and, later, that it was really Jiraiya's teachings, via Naruto, that had won the war. Finally, towards the end of the series, Naruto also acknowledges that of the numerous legendary ninja he's met, it's Jiraiya who he respected the most.
- Achilles in His Tent: Because he's always out of the village traveling.
- Affectionate Nickname: Naruto calls him "Ero-senin" or "Pervy Sage".
- All-Loving Hero: Despite Jiraiya's eccentric behaviour and prowess as a shinobi, he was a strong believer in peace; his hope being to one day end the hatred that plagued the ninja world. Jiraiya also held a great deal of faith in the next generation, and saw them as the solution to this hate.
- An Arm and a Leg: Pain's Asura Path attacks him from behind, severing his arm.
- Animal Motifs: Frogs and toads.
- The Anti-Nihilist: Despite the cycle of hate that plagued the shinobi world, he believed that there would come a day when peace would be achieved.
- Badass Beard: In Sage Mode, Jiraiya sports an impressive beard.
- Badass Boast: Per the usual for Jiraiya to proclaim his legendary stature to an opponent. See Large Ham below.
- Badass Bookworm: He is an author after all.
- Badass Normal: Comparatively for the series. Jiraiya comes from no famous bloodline or clan, possesses no Kekkei Genkai powers, and has no body modifications, unlike Orochimaru and Tsunade. Everything he is was obtained via hard work and pure skill.
- Badass Teacher: He became the teacher of the Ame Orphans, Minato Namikaze (and the other members of Team Jiraiya), and Naruto Uzumaki.
- Barbarian Longhair: This Sage has a long and unkempt white hair.
- Berserk Button: Not fond of Naruto's nickname for him, especially when he says it around other people (most obviously young women).
- Beware the Nice Ones: Jiraiya is ultimately a Nice Guy, but he is scary when he's in battle.
- Beware the Silly Ones: A super pervert prone to overdramatic introductions whose one of the legendary sannin.
- Big Good: For Part 1, he was one of the most powerful shinobi in the series and directly safeguarded Naruto from Akatsuki. Even after Jiraiya's death, his ideals continue to influence the heroes and provide the path to lasting peace between the five nations. When defeated as the Juubi's Jinchuuriki, Obito even credits the unity of the Shinobi forces to Jiraiya's ideals and says one could say Jiraiya had defeated him.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He's a smart guy, but he prefers to spend his time messing around chasing girls instead.
- Broken Ace: Jiraiya was never able to win Tsunade's heart, the one woman he genuinely had feelings for. He was unable to convince Orochimaru from abandoning the village. He also blames himself for being unable to save either his teacher Hiruzen and his student Minato. And despite his apparent big ego, he had a lot of self-loathing, believing that his life was just one long string of failures where it actually mattered.
- Broken Pedestal: He became one for Nagato after he left the Rain Orphans and they experienced more hardships. Nagato felt the peace Jiraiya spoke of was naïve and couldn't let go of his hatred of the Leaf Village. Naruto is able to restore Nagato's faith in Jiraiya.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Lazy, perverted, self proclaimed voyeur and all around slacker... who is also one of the strongest Shinobi in the Elemental lands, to the point that even Pain had to take him seriously.
- Casanova Wannabe: He's a sucker for women, even though his work is romantic enough to catch Kakashi's attention
- Charles Atlas Superpower: While nowhere near as strong as Tsunade, he could still level buildings and slaughter dozens of Ninjas in Taijutsu alone.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He always protects the ladies, whom he has a thing for.
- The Chooser of The One: Jiraiya was prophesied to train The Chosen One who would either bring peace or destruction. Considering all of his other candidates/trainees are now dead and neither has happened yet, the titular character is now the one by default.
- Clark Kent Outfit: A 50 year old ninja wears an outfit that makes him look flabby and yet underneath he's rocking a six pack and biceps.
- Cool Old Guy: Definitely is a friendly, wise sage...when he's not acting pervy.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Jiraiya is (even by his own admission) a "super pervert" and is just as clumsy as Naruto. He also is one of the most powerful shinobi in history and when he gets serious...Look. Out.
- A Death in the Limelight: Doesn't do much in Shippuden until he goes to investigate Pain's whereabouts, a mission from which he never returns.
- Death Seeker: He isn't particularly interested in dying on its own, but believes that a Failure Knight like himself will only be remembered if he has a spectacular death like the ninjas of old.
- DecemberDecember Romance: What it was shaping with Tsunade after the Time Skip before Pain made him croak.
- Determinator: Believes that the most important thing for a ninja to have is the willingness never to give up.
- Dishing Out Dirt: With his Earth Release: Swamp of the Underworld jutsu, he can create a swamp beneath a target to trap them. This technique is strong enough to immobilize Orochimaru's giant snake summons.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Tsunade. Ever since he was nearly killed after pepping on Tsunade, he's used greater discretion in expressing his interests in her, careful to make his advances come off as playful. Jiraiya considers his inability to win Tsunade's heart to be one of the greatest failures of his life.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: He literally wills his heart to beat again in order to deliver a code to Konoha about Pain, dying against the strongest ninja currently living who acknowledges Jiraiya as a truly worthy foe. Despite living in the shadow of what he calls his own failures, Jiraiya dies with a smile on his face, realizing that he achieved the glorious end he desired and that he has inspired Naruto to one day save the world.
- Eccentric Mentor: To Naruto and Nagato and the other Rain Orphans. He forced the latter to wear frog suits.
- Energy Ball: The Rasengan. Which he learned from his previous student, the Fourth Hokage, and taught it to Naruto.
- Equippable Ally: Using Sage Mode requires his supply of natural energy be constantly replenished, something that is difficult to do while in combat. For this reason, Jiraiya summons Fukasaku and Shima and fuses them to his body, having them gather natural energy for him. As an added bonus, Fukasaku and Shima can combine attacks with Jiraiya's, or they can perform justu that he can't, such as genjutsu. They both also serve as advisors in combat offering Jiraiya their expertise on strategy.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: The Rasengan. He can make a giant Rasengan in Sage Mode.
- Facial Markings: Born with 'em.
- Failure Knight: The deaths of Minato and Hiruzen took a huge toll on him. So did failing to bring back Orochimaru and finding out that Yahiko died and Nagato and Konan turned evil. Jiraiya believes his life is simply a series of failures compared to the Hokages of old until the last moments of his life.
- Fatal Flaw: Played for Laughs. Jiraiya's perverted nature has led to him being tricked (e.g., Naruto, the Akatsuki) or severely beaten up (e.g., Tsunade).
- Foil: Jiraiya and Orochimaru's relationship is deliberately designed to mirror Naruto and Sasuke's. Sasuke, like Orochimaru, is naturally gifted and believes only in his own personal power, while Naruto, like Jiraiya, had to work his way up and believes in comradeship. Jiraiya gave up on Orochimaru, but Naruto is determined not to do the same for Sasuke.
- Frog Men: Sage Mode, which he does not have mastery of. This causes his Sage Mode form to make him more toad-like in appearance, such as warts and webbed hands and feet; although his frog-like legs enable him to jump better, he dislikes the overall appearance because he believes women will find it unattractive.
- Generation Xerox: Initially displaying outward interest in Naruto for the latter matching his perversion and determination, he was eventually shown to be Naruto's godfather, who did truly care for his welfare and making him his inheritor of his philosophy of the "Will of Fire."
- Geometric Magic: Probably one of the greatest seal masters in the series.
- Gone Horribly Right: Jiraiya teaching ninjutsu to three Hidden Rain orphans so that they could protect themselves turned out much better than he would have liked or expected. In his defense, it was not his actions and mistakes that turned them against Konoha. The blame goes right to Danzo's attempt to kill them Gone Horribly Wrong.
- Go Out with a Smile: Right before he dies, Jiraiya recalls that Naruto was named after the character in his book, and decides that he had succeeded in something after all.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He knew that Pain could overpower him, but still fought him to gather information to help the village instead of running away and escaping. His defeat ended up costing him his life.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Near-pathological - even in his last moments he believes that his life was a complete waste and that he was a loser. His only goal in life was to have an awesome death. He managed it.
- Heroic Resolve: Thinking of Naruto, he revived himself long enough to deliver intel to Konoha about Pain.
- Heroic Willpower: When fighting Pain he manages to get up - after being impaled multiple times AND his heart apparently stopping - long enough to scribble out a message on Fukasaku for the rest of the village.
- Hidden Depths: While he rarely revealed it outwardly, Jiraiya was a great believer in peace and held a deep longing to change the hatred inherent in the world. While he desired to find an answer to the cycle of hatred that plagued the world, he was never been able to come up with a way to do so and asked Naruto to carry on this wish.
- Highly Visible Ninja: Look at him. He attracts more attention that Naruto could ever dream of.
- Honey Trap: Villains attempt this on him once or twice throughout the series. Surprisingly, it doesn't actually work either time.
- Idiot Hero: He was one as a child: his sole motivation for training and getting stronger was to catch the eye of every pretty girl around him, especially Tsunade. Orochimaru thinks he's one even in his fifties.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: A filler arc delves into the reason why Jiraiya has always been reluctant to go out with Tsunade. He doesn't want to, out of fear of hurting her by dying before her. At the end, he never realizes that just maybe she had begun to reciprocate his feelings after all.
- It's Not Porn, It's Art: He claims his peeping on women in the bath is actually research for his books.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed by Pain and not resurrected by either Nagato's Rinne Tensei jutsu, nor Kabuto's Edo Tensei due to his body sinking deep into the ocean's depths. While his shadow hangs over the series and Naruto holds him up as the greatest example of a shinobi imaginable, Jiraiya himself is never seen again in any form.
- Ladykiller in Love: Jiraiya is a constant flirt with any beautiful lady he meets but he was truly in love with Tsunade.
- Large Ham: One among various examples:Jiraiya: When you've reached the stature I have... THE LADIES KNEEL AND WORSHIP... AT YOUR AWESOMENESS!!"
- Large Ham Title: He often refers to himself as the "Great Toad Sage of Mount Myoboku" or something similar in his long flashy introductions.
- Like a Son to Me: He claimed Minato was like a son and Naruto his grandson, although he was Naruto's godfather.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He's called "Pervy Sage" for a reason.Jiraiya: I'm not a Pervert. I'm a SUPER PERVERT!
(or, if you're watching the english dub)
Jiraiya: I am not a little pervert! I'm a BIG ONE!note
- Loved I Not Honor More: While Jiraiya may have had romantic feelings for Tsunade, he also had a strong Undying Loyalty to the Leaf. And when he suspected Tsunade of possibly helping Orochimaru, he point blank told her if she was, then he would kill her.
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: He tried to stop Akatsuki's Leader as his grand triumph, but ended up being killed instead. His legacy was to leave behind intel on defeating Pain and his death also furthered Naruto's development experiencing the cycle of hatred.
- Mentor's New Hope: He was disappointed to learn Nagato had taken the wrong path because he felt he was the child of prophecy. Before his death, he believes that it is Naruto instead, who Jiraiya was glad to have taught because Naruto reminded him of Minato as well.
- My Greatest Failure: Not having been able to stop Orochimaru from defecting, nor to save his pupil (the 4th Hokage) or his master (The 3rd Hokage). Jiraiya also considers his inability to win Tsunade's heart to be one of his greatest failures as well.
- Nice Guy: Jiraiya is a pervert and a show off, but he's a lover of peace and is easy to befriend.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He acts as dumb as Naruto, but is the best Information broker in the Elemental Lands.
- Obi-Wan Moment: After a particularly grueling battle against (supposed) Akatsuki Leader Pain that involved Nagato bringing all six of them together to beat him (considering 1 of them can take on several Jonin Shinobi easily, needing all of them to kill someone speaks greatly for their skill/threat level), Jiraiya is impaled 5 times and dropped into the deep waters below. As he sinks, he grimly smiles and references a Japanese proverbnote accepting his death. Bonus points for the Stealth Pun of the proverb being about a frog, his animal symbol.
- Old Master: He's 50 and still one of the strongest people in the series.
- One-Man Army: He managed to fight off several of Pain's Paths, consecutively and concurrently, where those same Paths were only taken out by lots of teamwork from Konoha.
- Parental Abandonment: Jiraiya does not return to Konoha for years after Minato's death and does not even tell Naruto he even has a Godfather. The reasons include his dangerous work tailing Orochimaru but also Jiraiya's massive failure complex and guilt for letting Minato die in the first place.
- Parental Substitute: He is Naruto's godfather who also acted as his sensei and father figure during the time skip.
- Passing the Torch: Jiraiya spends his final moments thinking about Naruto, and decides that it is he is the Child of the Prophecy who will find the answer for peace. Satisfied with how this final chapter of his life has turned out, Jiraiya officially ends what he titles the Tale of Jiraiya the Gallant. Before he dies, Jiraiya decides that the sequel should be called the Tale of Naruto Uzumaki, and smiles at how good the title is.
- The Peeping Tom: Jiraiya spies on girls in hot springs all the time. He calls it "research." Somewhat justified in that he's a popular author of trashy romance novels.
- Playing with Fire: He most often uses fire jutsu, typically to ignite his own or one of his toad's oil in battle.
- Prehensile Hair: He is able to grow and manipulate his hair using jutsu, either to bind and destroy targets or to surround him as a defense, injuring any who try to contact him. In Sage Mode, he creates a needle attack using his hair.
- The Prophecy: While he was at Mount Myōboku, the Great Toad Sage made a prediction about Jiraiya: that he would travel the world and during that time meet the Child of the Prophecy, a student who would grow up to either save or destroy the world depending upon how Jiraiya taught them. The prophecy also foretold Jiraiya writing a book. Jiraiya considered either Minato and Nagato to be that child until the former's death and the latter's mislead direction. In his last moments, he fully believed Naruto was the Child of Prophecy.
- Rapunzel Hair: Long white hair. And hard enough to perforate reinforced Chakra steel as if it were wet paper.
- Relegated Mentor: He was one for the Ame Orphans. The Sannin found the orphans at the end of the 2nd Shinobi World War, and he decided to stay with them. He ended up becoming their teacher and after 3 years he felt they could take care of themselves and make a difference in their village. Unfortunately, it didn't work out the way he had hoped...
- Renowned Selective Mentor: Fits this trope to a T. He only had two groups of students before Naruto, and in both cases one of them was an insanely gifted shinobi who became a legend. He chose to train Naruto become he reminded him of the Fourth Hokage, his previous student and Naruto's father.
- Retired Badass: Subverted. He seems to be just goofing off and ignoring his responsibilities to go on an endless vacation, but he's actually been keeping tabs on the Leaf's enemies.
- Ship Tease: With Tsunade. Tsunade is the only woman Jiraiya has ever truly loved, and after she finally moves on from Dan's death after Naruto's intervention, it seems she's finally starting to see Jiraiya as more than just a friend. Unfortunately, just when it seems they'll have a chance together, he dies.
- Static Character: According to Orochimaru, who claims Jiraiya died without changing anything about himself. At least he managed to reconcile his failure complex (in his last moments...)
- Stern Teacher: At some moments, he was this towards Naruto. Such as when he lectured Naruto about being a "fool" trying to save Sasuke. There was also the time while teaching him the Rasengan, he said he wouldn't act as Naruto's parent, but he still showed him affection buying him a popsicle.
- Stomach of Holding: He kept Gerotora, the scroll toad which holds the key to Naruto's Eight Trigrams Seal, in his stomach. Gerotora was instructed to go back to Naruto after Jiraiya's death.
- Summon Magic: Jiraiya is a ninjutsu master, who is famed as the "Toad Sage" because of his affiliation with the toads of Mount Myōboku. This affiliation is most commonly displayed through summoning toads, either to fight alongside him in battle or simply summoning a toad's esophagus to trap a victim and cover an area, and restrict any movements within that area.
- Super Mode: Jiraiya was taught how to use senjutsu and enter Sage Mode by Fukasaku, which he can use to increase his speed, durability, and physical strength. He can also use it to empower his other ninjutsu, such as the Ultra-Big Ball Rasengan. Before he can gain these benefits, Jiraiya must merge with Fukasaku and Shima because he does not have mastery of Sage Mode.
- Take Up My Sword: His last action before dying was to leave Naruto a code for how to battle Pain. Naruto continues to honor his memory all the way to the end.
- Team Dad: To Naruto, despite refusing to become Hokage.
- Took a Level in Badass: In his backstory he was the "loser" of the Sannin and was incapable of defeating his friend Orochimaru. At the end he's one of history's most powerful ninja, which results in him being considered for the position of Hokage (The same position that the 3rd Hokage was originally considering Orochimaru for) multiple times during his life. Unlike Orochimaru, Jiraiya was never rejected for the position either. He turned it down. Even after his death, his name was still mentioned as a prime candidate for the role, indicating the massive level of respect he'd gained in the village over the years, not only in the eyes of his teacher, but the village and the higher ups in the Land of Fire as well. At the very end, Obito realizes that Jiraiya is truly the one who won the war as it was his ideals Naruto and Nagato followed at the end.
- Tragic Hero: Always failed to save the ones he loved and believed himself to be a worthless good-for-nothing...until the very end when he achieves an end "just barely glorious but glorious indeed."
- Trickster Mentor: To Naruto.
- Undying Loyalty: Although he left Konoha for many years, Jiraiya was still loyal to his village. When Konoha found itself in need of a new Hokage after the Third Hokage's death, Jiraiya volunteered to look for Tsunade so that she could be the Fifth Hokage, after turning down the position himself. His reason for refusing the position was, among other things, that he felt unworthy to take the role, since he had failed to save either of the previous Hokage from dying, or stop Orochimaru from turning traitor, as well as him having to conduct more "research". After he found Tsunade, and began to suspect that she might be helping Orochimaru, he made it clear that he would kill her if she betrayed the village, a proof of his loyalty to Konoha. However, once it became clear that Tsunade was still loyal to Konoha, and later accepted the title of Hokage, Jiraiya served as her most trusted adviser, loyal confidant, and a spy into the dealings of Akatsuki and Konoha's enemies.
- Unrequited Love Lasts Forever: The only woman he had true feelings for was Tsunade, his childhood teammate. However, she was interested in another shinobi (Dan) and never got over him after his death.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: His Sage Mode form makes him more toad-like in appearance, such as warts and webbed hands and feet; although his frog-like legs enable him to jump better, he dislikes the overall appearance because he believes women will find it unattractive.
- Walking the Earth: After hearing the elder toad sage's prediction, he dedicated his life to travelling the world and meeting people along with keeping an eye on Orochimaru and Akatsuki for Konoha. His experiences meeting all kinds of different people contributed to him figuring out Pain's true identity, as the Six Paths were all people he met during his travels.
- Warts and All: Naruto loves him like family and admires him more that anyone else but still refers to him as "Pervy Sage" ("Ero-Sennin").
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: He hoped the world would one day obtain peace, but even he admitted he didn't have an answer for the cycle of hatred.
- The Worf Effect: Averted. He's hyped up to be very strong, but we actually never see him win a fight, and even in his Backstory, we're only told about his failures (couldn't defeat Hanzou, was defeated by Orochimaru when he left the Leaf) rather than his victories. He's unable to prevent Itachi and Kisame from escaping, and is poisoned during the Sannin's fight. It's his fight with Pain (or more importantly, Pain's fight with All of Konoha's forces, the Toad Tribe, Kyuubi and Naruto) that established his Memetic Badass reputation. The first hint given about the magnitude of his badasstitude was that Itachi and Kisame tucked their tails between their legs and run for it when he showed up to fight.
- Worf Had the Flu: See above. But Orochimaru couldn't use his own arms...however Jiraiya's handicap was even greater due to most of his techniques requiring refined chakra control and that he could barely throw a kunai straight.
- World's Strongest Man: For a time he held this title. He was flat out said to be the only one strong enough to defeat Orochimaru during his invasion by Ebisu. Itachi AND Kisame both considered a too great of a threat for both of them (this is huge since despite Itachi's allegiance, he would kill Konoha shinobi to keep his cover), with Kisame even saying he was on an entirely other level. Not only that, he defeated Naruto's Four-Tailed Version 2 form within base, holding back so he wouldn't hurt his student (thus why he got such an injury), note Orochimaru couldn't do anything to Naruto in that form and at the end frantically pushed him away rather than keep fighting despite his bravado. And then his student Nagato considered him strong enough to be able to defeat him if Jiraiya had prior knowledge. And then we learn that Sage Mode is essentially the only thing that can possibly damage the Ten-Tails and its Jinchuuriki. That's just how strong Jiraiya is.
- Would Hit a Girl: Implied. Jiraiya had no problem of threatening to kill Tsunade if she betrayed Konoha.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Minato tells him this when Jiraiya considers writing his book, and by extension much of his life, to be a waste of his time.
Voiced by: Masako Katsuki (JP), Haruhi Terada (child, JP), Debi Mae West (EN), Ana Jiménez (Spain), Dulce Guerrero (Latin-American Spanish), Laurence César (French)
Debut: Naruto Chapter 139 (Manga), Naruto Episode 83 (Anime)
Tsunade is a veteran Hard-Drinking Party Girl and gambler, although her lack of luck at the latter, which earned her the nickname "The Legendary Sucker", is almost as famous as her fighting skill and miraculous healing abilities. Tsunade, whose grandfather was the First Hokage (therefore, the elders refer to her as "Tsunade-hime" aka "Princess Tsunade"), became jaded and disillusioned regarding the village when both her younger brother Nawaki and her fiancé Dan were killed during the wars which criss-crossed the Naruto world prior to the series. She turned her back on the village and sought her own amusements, with her fiancee's niece Shizune and her pet pig Tonton as her only companions.
She first appears in the Search for Tsunade arc, when Jiraiya and Naruto are seeking her to offer her the position of the Fifth Hokage. She initially refuses, and bets Naruto her treasured necklace that he won't be able to master the Rasengan in three days. Orochimaru also seeks her out during this time, wanting her to heal the crippling injuries he sustained during his fight with the Third Hokage, and offering to revive her brother and fiancee in exchange. After seeing Naruto successfully perform the Rasengan for the first time, a three-way battle ensues in which Jiraiya and Tsunade team up to defeat Orochimaru. Tsunade then returns to Konoha and accepts the position of the Fifth Hokage.
Tsunade has Super Strength and the ability to concentrate chakra in her limbs, further increasing the power of her strikes. She is widely considered the greatest medical ninja in the world, and can hit vital points with precision or completely heal herself in midfight. She also uses a transformation jutsu to keep her appearance eternally young, although that's more for the sake of her vanity than any strategic purpose.
In Shippuden, Tsunade mostly plays a support role, assigning missions and providing exposition. She's also come under attack from various militaristic factions in Konoha itself. She is confronted by Pain's Deva Path, but he decides to run away... but not before nuking Konoha. After the Shinra Tensei, she uses a great deal of chakra to save those that she can and heal people, but this has the side effect of wearing off her genjutsu and putting her into a coma, causing the position of Sixth Hokage to go to Danzo (pending approval by the village jonins), however she has since woken up from said coma and began complaining about the decision to send Naruto and Killer Bee into hiding instead of rushing recklessly into an attack on Madara without knowing anything about his true abilities.
She later joins the rest of the Kage in fighting a resurrected Madara Uchiha but, despite their valiant efforts, were all defeated. A resurrected Orochimaru later helps her back up and together they go on to confront the Ten-Tails and Madara once again. After being caught in the Infinite Tsukiyomi, she, along with the other four Kage, faced the threat of death from Sasuke but was ultimately saved by Naruto. Shortly afterwards, she steps down from the Hokage position to give the mantle to Kakashi before going on to retirement.
- The Ace: Tsunade is the most well regarded and famous Medic Nin and has been dubbed, "The World's Most Beautiful and Strongest Woman".
- She fought then-Big Bad Orochimaru alongside Jiraiya, in her introduction arc. In battle with Madara, she activated a secret forbidden technique and punched a hole through his Susanoo.
- Action Girl: She's one of the most skilled ninjas in the series and while she doesn't have a huge win streak as seen under The Worf Effect, she's still a capable fighter.
- A-Cup Angst: During her teenage years.
- Adapted Out: Of the first live theater adaptation, though she does appear in the second.
- Affectionate Nickname: Naruto calls her Grandma Tsunade. Doubles as Hilarious in Hindsight, as we now know that they are both related through the Uzumaki clan. She is Naruto's cousin of some variety.
- Afraid of Blood: Initially. Naruto helps her get over it. It was because her boyfriend was killed, and she couldn't heal him.
- Animal Motifs: Slugs, owing to her ability to summon Katsuyu (though that's where the motif ends).
- Armor-Piercing Slap: When they were young, she caught Jiraiya peeping. She then proceeded to break six of his ribs, both of his arms, and puncture one of his lungs.
- Badass Bookworm: She's the physically strongest of the Sannin and no slouch in the brains department either (though not as smart as Orochimaru).
- Badass Pacifist: Tsunade definitely has the power and combat skills to be Hokage but it is in her philosophy as a medical ninja that she not enter combat unless absolutely necessary lest someone tries to Shoot the Medic First. There's one exception to her rule: the medic can enter battle at will if she or he has mastered her Healing Factor technique (something only she and Sakura have succeeded at, so far).
- Badass Teacher: She trained Shizune and Sakura Haruno, among others, in the art of medical ninjutsu.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Her punches are enough to kill anything that isn't an Edo Tensei immortal zombie, but even Madara was worried about being hit by that.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: When Jiraiya goes off to face Pain in Amegakure, she bets against him, thinking he will die, in hopes that her bad luck will ensure that he'll live. Unforturnately, this is one of the few occasions where her bet won out.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Zigzagged. In terms of combat she takes a good amount of damage during her fights and has the battle damage to show it. But in terms of her general appearance she is always seen in her young age despite being in her 50s even 10 years into the future. Moreover, whenever she grows old due to lack of chakra, her face is always obsecured until she is healed at which point she innately returns to her youthful self once more.
- Berserk Button: She does not appreciate being called old. The only one who can get away with it is Naruto, and even she is rather uncomfortable with that.
- Big Damn Heroes: Arrives with the other kages and proceeds to kick Madara's ass.
- The Big Gal: ...Kind of. She's a mixture of the third and the fifth, but she fits this role effectively well with her fighting style. She only has to hit you once to kill and she's nearly immortal.
- Boobs of Steel: By far the bustiest woman in series (106 cm!), she's one of the strongest characters when it comes to fighting (she basically can one-hit-kill most of the fighters, provided she comes close enough).
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She'd rather laze about, but is forced to take action to maintain the village's safety. Must be why she's perpetually angry all the time.
- Broken Ace: Lost her only sibling to war. Was unable to save her fiance's life despite her prowess, and developed a fear of blood ever since. She then spent years away from her home (along with Shizune and Tonton), gambling and drinking. Only learned of her master's passing straight from the mouth of her fellow student-turned-traitor who did the deed. Reconciled with her other fellow student, only to later have him die on her watch unable to do anything to help him.
- Broken Bird: Lost the love of her life and her brother to battle. Orochimaru attempts to use this to his advantage when attempting to have her heal his arms by promising to resurrect them. She gets better upon reconciling with her old friend Jiraiya and meeting Naruto, but nearly spins off it again when Jiraiya dies (right when it looked like they might have been able to kindle a romance, even).
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Tsunade likes to drink and gamble, hates paperwork to a degree most people would reserve for their worst enemy, and is a bit of a Vain Sorceress but also a competent leader as well as a kickass medic and fighter
- Buxom Is Better: She's regarded as the most beautiful Kunoichi. Who knows why?.
- Boring, but Practical: Tsunade's Super Strength and medical ninjutsu give her the most raw physical power and regenerative ability in the series, but, conversely, significantly less flash than the techniques of other high-ranking ninja.
- Born Unlucky: To put it bluntly, her luck is absolute crap, to the point that she became known as "The Legendary Sucker" for basically never winning at gambling. Then there's the fact that so many people close to her have died...
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: She gets drunk easily.
- Cartwright Curse: She sure seems to have bad luck with the men she likes...
- Cast from Lifespan: Her Mitotic Regeneration technique uses the chakra stored in her forehead to heal all her wounds, but it shortens her life. The exact effect this has on her is not greatly explored. She's still alive in the series epilogue (when she'd be in her 70s) and there's no indication at all that she's in poor health. Seeing as her grandmother was from the Uzumaki clan (who have long lifespans) the difference probably averages out. However, immediately after the War she had to retire from the position of Hokage; whether this was because she got tired of wars or because she no longer had the stamina necessary to protect the Hidden Leaf is not explained.
- Celibate Heroine: Tsunade never married or started another relationship by the end of the series.
- Character Development: The deaths of Nawaki and Dan made her give up on the belief that dreams come true and believe that being the Hokage is a "fool's job". Meeting Naruto forces her to question her cynicism, leading to her not only becoming the Fifth Hokage, but also helping the dreams of others come true (i.e., when Rock Lee tells her he dreams of being a ninja despite knowing he may die trying, she does not argue his decision and, in the anime, does all that she can to ensure he survives).
- Character Tics: Tends to bite her thumb when either thinking about something seriously or stressed.
- Close-Range Combatant: Be it with taijutsu or medical techniques. She apparently knows multiple elemental ninjutsu, but that's an Informed Ability.
- The Coats Are Off: She always wears a green coat with the kanji for "Gamble" written in the back. Well, almost always. After she decides she's going to pulverize Orochimaru and Kabuto, she takes off her coat and drops it on the ground. She discards it againnote when she rushes to heal the critically wounded Naruto. During the battle of the Five Kage against Madara, her coat gets shredded/discarded off-screen.
- Combat Medic: The best in the world.
- Combat Stilettos: Sports heels even when kicking ass.
- Contralto of Danger: Has a low voice to go with her immense strength.
- Convenient Coma: Goes into one after the Pain invasion arc and is out of it within weeks.
- Cool Big Sis: Was a caring big sister to her brother when he was alive.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: She literally defeats Naruto using only one finger.
- Curtains Match the Window: Fiery blonde.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Not her little brother, but her fiancée. Dan's death makes into a cynic for whom "Only fools want to be Hokages". Luckily, Naruto manages to undo it.Tsunade: One of the Legendary Sannin taking on a snot-nosed genin I oughta be ashamed of myself.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Tsunade's regeneration jutsu shortens her lifespan as well.
- Deadly Doctor: Uses less combative medical techniques than Kabuto but is fully capable of causing harm with her medical abilites.
- Deadpan Snarker: Quite the one with the quips.
- Dude Magnet: Heavily implied given her being called the "world's most beautiful woman".
- Doom Magnet: Many of the people closest to her have died, between her fiance, her little brother, her mentor, and her closest friend, Jiraiya. As such, she is initially reluctant to get close to anyone except Shizune, especially when Naruto's goal painfully reminds her of Dan and Nawaki's own dreams.
- Embarrassing Nickname: According to Jiraiya, she's widely known as the Legendary Sucker thanks to her awfully bad luck at gambling.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl: Tsunade has Super Strength, even by the standards of the already inhumanly strong ninja of the series. She's also a Deadly Doctor and nearly unkillable in combat.
- Failure Knight: Couldn't save Dan, despite her skills and best efforts.
- Finger Poke of Doom: Bets she can beat Naruto with one finger and she does.
- Gag Boobs: They're huge. Kabuto has a brief moment of wondering if an attack to her chest didn't connect properly because her boobs got in the way.
- The Gambling Addict: Her quirk. It's apparently her grandfather Hashirama's fault.
- Generation Xerox: She did train Sakura to become a Hot-Blooded Combat Medic after all.
- Genre Savvy: She shows shades in this in thinking that the Shonen Protagonist couldn't possibly lose and has faith that he'll be able to not be killed or captured in any circumstance. She also states that the younger generation will eventually become stronger than theirs. Naturally, the other characters are convinced she's nuts and reckless
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Tsunade is able to regenerate any wound she receives after releasing her Yin Seal causing her reputation as ageless and immortal in battle.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Courtesy of Madara. She's gotten better with a bit of help from Orochimaru and Katsuyu.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: While she's extremely stern and irritable at times, she cares deeply about the safety of her village and those closest to her and is willing to die for them.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Do whatever it takes to not get on her bad side. You won't like her when she's mad, as Jiraiya had learn the hard way.
- Healing Factor: When the seal on her forehead is released.
- Her Heart Will Go On: Even after Jiraiya was unable to win her affections before his death.
- Heroic Fatigue: So much that she works herself into a comatose state.
- Heroic Resolve: She so desperately wants to save the people of the Leaf Village after the attack that she ends up overexerting herself into a coma.
- Heroic Second Wind: Tsunade's Yin Seal on her forehead functions as one of these, it has a constant storage of chakra built up in it which she can release to fuel her Healing Factor. This earned her reputation as immortal in battle.
- The Heroine: Seems to be all but stated with the five Kages' battle with Madara. She shares this role with Onoki.
- Hospital Hottie: She is widely considered the greatest medical ninja in the world and the most beautiful female ninja. Help to be the bustiest woman in series.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: She was delivering a Shut Up, Hannibal! and tons of asskicking to the revived Madara Uchiha, (who was continuously berating her for never getting near the level of her grandfather Hashirama) until he got annoyed enough to drive a Susanoo Blade through her. And she still survived it, snapped the blade in half and threw it at him.
- Implacable Woman: Thanks to her seal, she will always get back up.
- Informed Flaw: Her Mitotic Regeneration technique supposedly shortens her lifespan. However, she's still alive in the series epilogue, when she'd be around 70 and there's no indication that she's in poor health. Then again, her grandmother was an Uzumaki (who are known for having incredibly long lifespans).
- Interface Screw: Her Important Body Points Disturbance inflicts this on opponents, using chakra to scramble the electrical signals the brain uses to control the limbs.
- Ironic Echo: When Jiraiya seeks her out and tries to get her to take the Hokage position, she badmouths it, calling it a "fool's goal". Later in her fight against Orochimaru, he says the same thing much to Tsunade's horror. This is one of the main factors that gets her to take the position.
- Irony: She has a massive losing streak when she gambles, but when she does win, it means something bad is about to happen.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Brash, rude, and loud. With a kind and soft heart.
- Kevlard: A variant. When Kabuto's strike to her chest failed to reach her heart, he wondered if this trope is in play thanks to the amount of adipose tissue.
- Lady Drunk: Previous to accepting the position of Hokage. And occasionally afterwards.
- Last of His Kind: After her brother died, she is the last surviving remnant of the Senju clan, although she no longer carries their name (which might indicate that Hashirama was her maternal grandfather).
- Lust Object: For Jiraiya when they were younger.
- Mama Bear: She becomes this for the village after she becomes the Fifth Hokage.
- Marked Change: When she uses her Strength of a Hundred technique.
- Master Poisoner: Jiraiya touts her as the only person in the world who can spike a ninja's drink without their knowledge.
- Mighty Glacier: Can literally pulverize any opponent if she manages to touch him/her. Unfortunately, she's not focused on speed attack but on avoiding the enemies blows, demonstrating the limitations of this character type.
- A Mother to Her Men: Eventually develops this relationship with Konoha, especially to Naruto and Sakura.
- Ms. Fanservice: Serves this for this series. She is very well endowed and is beautiful.
- Never Mess with Granny: She may be over fifty years old, but don't underestimate her. Orochimaru learned this the hard way.Tsunade: Why am I putting my life on the line? Because now I am the Fifth Hokage of Konohagakure!
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: After Madara gets bored fighting the Kages and buggers off, it's revealed that Tsunade has been bisected by a giant tree branch.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Orochimaru offers to resurrect both her dead younger brother and her boyfriend if she'll heal his arms, which were rendered useless due to the Third Hokage's final attack sealing them. She seemed like she would take him up on the offer. But knows that he's a liar, and through Naruto remembered the promises and dreams of her two departed loved ones of becoming Hokage and protecting the people they care about.
- Older Than They Look: Both played straight and inverted. She uses a spell to create the illusion of looking like she's in her 20's or 30's. It falls apart when she runs low on chakra, which reveals that she actually looks much older than she is (like she was in her 70's or 80's—probably because of her use of Creation Rebirth which shortens her lifespan whenever she uses it). She is actually in her 50s. Her looks in the Distant Finale is one of the most youthful she sports for all the series, while she's probably over 60 by then.
- Pen-Pushing President: One of the least pleasant aspects of her job as Hokage. The morning Sasuke disappears, she is actually caught sleeping on her parchments.
- Professional Gambler: She actually has very bad luck.
- Promotion to Parent: Took care (if one can really say that) of Shizune, her fiance's orphaned niece, after his death. Although it would be more accurate to say it's Shizune who tried her best to take care of the broken, alcoholic and compulsively gambling Tsunade...
- Power Tattoo: The Yin Seal on her forehead which gives a large boost of chakra when released.
- Pyrrhic Victory: The only times she ever wins at gambling is before something terrible happens. Therefore, whenever she actually wins she's too busy waiting for the other shoe to drop to enjoy the victory.
- Retired Badass: She had retired for many years and was out of practice when she went back into combat (see Worf Had the Flu). After the re-sealing of Kaguya, she retires again, this time from Hokage entirely, giving the job to Kakashi.
- Running Gag: Destroying her desk in a fit of rage.
- Sexy Mentor: To Shizune and Sakura.
- Ship Tease: With Jiraiya. It was implied that before he died, Tsunade was starting to reciprocate his feelings and willing to give him a chance. Unfortunately, it just wasn't meant to be.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Tsunade fell in love with Dan because of his desire to become Hokage in order to protect the villagers.
- The Smart Guy: Though it's not commonly exploited like Shikamaru or his father, she does have a great deal of intelligence, as might be expected from the world's foremost medical expert.
- Super Strength: In addition to possessing generic Super Strength, she can further increase the power of her punches thanks to impossibly precise chakra control. She's even stronger than A the Raikage and can shatter Madara's Susano'o with a single punch (if after activating her Super Mode).
- Team Mom: To Konoha after she becomes the Fifth Hokage.
- Took a Level in Idealism: Because of Naruto's determination.
- Tragic Keepsake: Her pendant used to belong to her brother before he was killed on a mission.
- Tsundere: As grown up, more furious and broken version of Sakura, she is definitely this around half the time. Yet the kindness is there and seen in the other half.
- Vain Sorceress: Subverted. She's very vain, but is also benevolent.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She's constantly angry with Jiraiya's perversion, yet it's clearly seen that they care for each other. When he's killed by Pain, she's shaken to the core.
- Willfully Weak: She outright refuses to use her strongest abilities in most of her fights, even if they would very easily turn the tide in her favor.
- Worf Effect: The vast majority of her existence. When she gets into a physical confrontation, she proves that while she is quite powerful, she ultimately lost one of the two fights she was in pretty swiftly once Madara got serious making her seem weaker in comparison to the other Sannin who had much more fleshed out fights and screen time.
- Worf Had the Flu: When she's introduced she's been retired for many years and is out of practice, as Kabuto and Orochimaru observe. Additionally, she never uses her Strength of a Hundred technique, which gives her the power to surprise Madara who was just playing around when he otherwise curbstomped the other four Kages.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Delivered one to Orochimaru before kicking his ass.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Shikamaru's father refers to her as "the strongest and most beautiful of all kunoichi."
- World's Strongest Woman: Shikamaru's father refers to her as "the strongest and most beautiful of all kunoichi."