Team 7 (Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Kakashi Hatake) | Team 8 (Hinata Hyuga) | Team 10 | Team Guy | The Legendary Sannin | Hokages | The Uchiha Clan | Other Leaf Village Members | Hidden Sand Village (Gaara) | Hidden Mist Village | Hidden Cloud Village | Hidden Stone Village | Hidden Sound Village (Orochimaru) | Akatsuki (Itachi Uchiha, Tobi, Pain/Nagato) | Madara Uchiha | Other Characters | Hebi/Taka | Tailed Beasts and Their Hosts | Otsutsuki Clan | Anime-Only Characters | Movie-Only Characters | Novel-Only Characters | Game-Only Characters | The New Era
open/close all folders
Kahyō is a missing-nin from Kirigakure and the bodyguard of the Ryūha Armament Alliance's leader, Garyō. She is tasked with trying to break Garyō out of the Blood Prison at any cost after he was captured by Naruto. Kahyō has long, curly hair. Her shinobi-attire consists of snow-white clothes and a mask with a hook-pattern on it. Her jutsu is ice-based.
- Action Mom: She is able to fight Kakashi equally and even get the better of him.
- Broken Bird: The death of her son, and the betrayal of the friend he died protecting, makes her lose faith in the world.
- HeelFace Turn: Kakashi's words change her and she helps save the ship from crashing. Sentenced to death for her crimes, Kakashi instead believes she is essentially a good person, and makes her warden of Blood Prison.
- An Ice Person: Her kekkei genkai mixes water and wind to create ice.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Thanks to Naruto, everyone believes that Kahyō and Kakashi have a romantic relationship. They do not, and Kakashi becomes angry with Naruto for spreading the rumor.
- Continuity Nod: She was involved in Naruto Storm 4's Adventure Mode namely when the warden of Hozuki Castel is mentioned around Kakashi he would get this glee full attitude. Even Shikamaru noticed that something was up in, more so Ino was sure he was in love. Albeit Kahyo was only talked about and did not appear.
Rahyō was a missing-nin from Kirigakure, the brother of Kahyō, and a leading member of the Ryūha Armament Alliance. He was large man who wore a beard. His attire consisted of deep blue clothing and a chain mail. He was an expert with a sword and also used ice-based jutsu like his sister.
- Badass Beard: He is described as a very large man with a beard.
- HeelFace Turn: Has one right before his death when he wishes he met someone like Kakashi earlier in his life.
- An Ice Person: Similar to his sister, but he prefers to use ice around his hands to enhance his taijutsu.
- Super Toughness: He is able to shrug off all of Might Guy's attacks.
- Take My Hand: Subverted. Kakashi cannot pull him to safety. He falls to his death.
Hinoko is a 14 year old tomboyish Konohagakure Anbu. She prefers to go by her codename Soku because her birth-name Hinoko is too girly for her. She is assigned to serve under Shikamaru in his mission to rescue Sai from the Land of Silence and assassinate their leader. She specializes in a technique called "Chakra Needle" that allows her to shoot chakra from her fingertips.
- Action Girl: Her technique alone makes her extremely deadly. She can disable or even kill any target she can shoot her chakra at.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Although not blood related, she quickly becomes this to Shikamaru.
- Berserk Button: Shikamaru learns quickly that she does not like being called Hinoko.
- Child Prodigy: She was scouted by the Anbu when she was only an academy student.
- Cool Mask: She wears a cat mask when on duty.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Hinoko hates her birth name, and prefers to be called by her Anbu codename, Soku.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Despite her usual tomboy attitude, she squees like a Fangirl and becomes a total Shipper on Deck when Shikamaru asks Temari on a date.
- Verbal Tic: She adds "you know" at the end of her sentences.
Rō is a 40 year old Anbu of Konohagakure who is chosen to serve under Shikamaru for a mission into the Land of Silence. He is described as having thick eyebrows, a strong jaw and stubborn, one-lidded eyes. He specializes in a technique that allows him to hide the chakra of his target.
Gengo was the leader of the Land of Silence until crossing paths with Shikamaru Nara. A Kirigakure ninja, Gengo allied with Zabuza Momochi in a coup attempt against the Fourth Mizukage, Yagura. After the coup failed, Gengo overthrew the ruler of the Land of Silence and used the Fourth Great Shinobi War to build his power, using his genjutsu to capture high level ninja. Considered one of the greatest genjutsu users to ever live, his specialty is sound-based genjutsu.
- The Chessmaster: While the rest of the world panicked, he saw the Fourth Shinobi World War as an opportunity and captured a number of ninja during the war to add to his growing army.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: He has Soku and Rou tortured so that Shikamaru can hear their screams. All of this was done to mentally break Shikamaru.
- Compelling Voice: How he uses his genjutsu, he packs chakra into his voice and then makes a speech.
- Expy: He has a number of similar qualities to Nagato and Madara Uchiha. His arguments about ninja being nothing more than tools used for war, and how peace can only be achieved through power, sound eerily similar to Madara.
- Manipulative Bastard: He is a charismatic leader of his own country, who plans on changing the world, so that ninja rule it.
- Master of Illusion: He is an expert in sound-based genjutsu. He simply has to talk and his victims are trapped by his words.
- Mind Control: His genjutsu allows him to control others and make them join his army.
- We Can Rule Together: Gengo was excited to learn he had captured the famous genius Shikamaru Nara. He uses his genjutsu to try and win Shikamaru over to be his right-hand man.
- Villain Has a Point: Gengo accurately points out that ninja are still tools and the Fourth Great Shinobi War changed nothing. Heroes like Naruto Uzumaki and villains like Madara Uchiha had little impact on the daily lives of the masses, who probably didn't even know their names. Why shouldn't ninja change the system so they rule the world over ordinary people? The argument even made Shikamaru question his world-view and wonder if Naruto really changed anything.
Kido is an Anbu executive from Konohagakure, formerly a high-ranking member of Root. He is a corrupt, money hungry ninja, who will do anything to ensure that Anbu is always funded.
- Batman Gambit: He steals some hair samples from Sasuke and uses it to create chakra enhancing medicine that he believes can duplicate the Sharingan. Needing more samples from Sasuke, he has a Sasuke impostor cause international incidents to try and force the real Sasuke to investigate so he can capture him. When Sasuke shows no interest in reacting, he captures Sakura, hoping Sasuke still has some feelings for her.
- Bullying a Dragon: He actually messes with two dragons by capturing Sakura, with the hopes Sasuke will attempt to rescue her.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: He was Root's treasurer and financed all of Danzou Shimaru's projects.
- Freudian Excuse: He grew up in a poor family, his father was very ill but his medicine was very expensive. He constantly to get enough to get Kido into the academy but was only able to do by not taking his medication and ended up dying without it.
- Monster Protection Racket: It was actually he and his loyal Anbu that were causing various security incidents. He did this so Kakashi would increase the cut Anbu budget.
- Money Fetish: He is obsessed with money and it clouds his decisions. Somewhat justified in that his father died taking risky missions for Konoha to overcome their poverty.
- Taking Up the Mantle: He does so for his old boss Danzou. He essentially has become a mini-Danzou, causing trouble behind the scenes, trying to continue the shady work of the Anbu, and having an obsession with the Sharingan. The only difference is that Kido is nowhere near as powerful or as influential as Danzou.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- He was worried about his budget being cut so he organized small security problems to sway the budget hearing in his favor. Almost immediately, everyone knew he had something to do with the problems after only a small investigation. Some, including Kakashi, actually wondered how Kido honestly planned to get away with all this when everything was blatantly obvious. They truly couldn't decide whether it was his greed or overconfidence that caused him to slip up so bad.
- In his fight with Sakura, he can't figure out that a Jonin-class medic is constantly hitting him in the same spot over and over again while he is constantly healing. If he used his brain, he'd have realized she A) had a plan and B) was obviously causing some kind of internal damage he could't see.
- He wanted to harvest Sasuke's DNA and organs and even go after Naruto later for his Tailed-Beast drug, need we say more?
Hakuto is a genin-level kunoichi and former head of the Hōki Family. She was arranged to be married to Gaara, but concocted a kidnapping plan to avoid that fate. After being pardoned by Gaara, Hakuto moved to Konohagakure with her lover Shigezane to live with the Nara clan. She is described as being extremely beautiful with shoulder-length silky black hair and fair skin. She is a wind jutsu user who is trained in medical ninjutsu.
- Arranged Marriage: Like Gaara, she is forced into one she does not want.
- Death Faked for You: Realising that neither Hakuto nor Shigezane are criminals, Gaara pretends he brutally killed them with his Sand Waterfall Funeral. Then, he and Shikamaru arrange for them to be given new identities in Konoha.
- Healing Hands: She is trained as a medic-nin, and healed Gaara's injuries after his fight.
- The Moving Experience: She and Shigezane move from Suna to live with the Nara clan in Konoha.
- One True Love: She only loves Shigezane. Which is why she, her sister, and Shigezane come up with the kidnapping plan so she does not have to marry Gaara.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She fits both physically and personality-wise with her long black hair and refined mannerisms.
Shijima is a kunoichi of Sunagakure and a member of the Hōki family. She is Hakuto's bodyguard and older sister. She was a willing failed test subject of Orochimaru to duplicate the Sharingan. She is described as a slim beautiful women with very thick glasses. She possess a fake replication of a Sharingan which has limited use. She is also wind jutsu user who throws wind-chakra enhanced iron rods.
- Action Girl: She is a jonin-level kunoichi and her fighting ability greatly impresses Gaara.
- Blessed with Suck: She possess the Sharingan, but it is only a replica and has very limited use compared to the eye of Kakashi or the eyes of a true Uchiha. They also must be sealed since she cannot restrain their power. This greatly affects her eyesight and forces her to wear thick glasses.
- Everyone Can See It: It becomes blatantly clear that both she and Gaara develop feelings for each other. Shikamaru quickly picks up on it.
- Magical Eye: She possess a limited version of the Sharingan thanks to Orochimaru's failed attempt in duplicating it. Once she unseals her Sharingan, she can paralyze targets who gaze in her eyes.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Her glasses are described as thick and in contrast to her beauty.
- Power Incontinence: Her Sharingan was unrestrainable. She was forced to seal it which greatly affected her vision, forcing her to wear thick glasses to even see.
A member of Team 2 and one of Itachi Uchiha's teammates. He mimicked his parents' prejudice towards the Uchiha, leading to him developing a rivalry with Itachi when the latter proved to be highly skilled despite his youth. Tenma was the son of his clan's leader, who suffers from severe illness that can only be cured with medicine derived from the whiskers of a ninja cat. His attitude towards Itachi mellows after the latter saves his life, and he vows to repay that debt. When Team 2 was assigned to guard the Fire Daimyo, Tenma was the only one other than Itachi to be unaffected by Obito Uchiha's genjutsu. Despite Itachi's warnings, Tenma attempted to attack Obito and was killed, his death awakening Itachi's Sharingan.
- Ambiguously Brown: While his skin isn't as dark as many of the Kumogakure ninja, it's noticeably darker than most Konoha ninjas'.
- Anime Hair: His hair resembles Sasuke's in Part I, and he fills the same archetypal role of an aloof, condescending rival.
- The Bully: He was jealous of Itachi's prowess and picked on him during their Academy days.
- Green-Eyed Monster: While he doesn't do much more than bully Itachi, Tenma is haughty and motivated by jealousy over Itachi's skill. Ironically, it's his death that awakened Itachi's Sharingan.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He sacrificed himself fighting Obito to pay back his life-debt to Itachi.
- I Owe You My Life: Rather than thank Itachi for saving him, he instead said he owed him a debt and vowed to repay it.
- The Rival: He was Itachi's teammate, but didn't get along with him.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: When he angers Izumi by bullying Itachi, he ran away at the sight of her Sharingan.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: He picked a fight with Obito, which ended poorly for him.
- Thicker Than Water: He's concerned over his father's poor health.
- Tsundere: He's belligerent and condescending towards Itachi, but shows a softer side to Shinko.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He develops a begrudging camaraderie with Itachi after the latter saves his life, and his death was what awakened Itachi's Sharingan.
A member of Team 2 and one of Itachi Uchiha's teammates. She is from a foreign clan and speaks with a thick accent, but is a cheerful girl who strives to mitigate the rivalry between Tenma and Itachi. She retired from being a ninja after being traumatized by Tenma's death and became a waitress.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit during her time as a member of Team 2 left her waist exposed.
- Cat Smile: During the mission to find the ninja cat, she sports one to go along with her ears.
- Cuteness Proximity: She has a noted weakness for cute things, and being beaten by a ninja kitten sent her into Cuteness Overload.
- The Gadfly: She was a mischievous girl enjoys teasing Tenma over his rivalry with Itachi and for wearing cat ears after he mocked Itachi for doing so, and teasing Itachi over his relationship with Izumi.
- Girlish Pigtails: She sports a pair of stiff, braided pigtails.
- Kansai Regional Accent: She speaks in a Kansai accent to indicate she's not from Konoha, and is teased for it by Tenma.
- Nosebleed: The sight of Itachi wearing cat ears sent blood dripping from her nose.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: She admits that she retired not only because of Tenma's death but because she felt Itachi's skill made her redundant.
- Shipper on Deck: She playfully teases Itachi over his relationship with Izumi, and scolds him for belittling her dream of becoming a ninja.
- War Is Hell: She quits being a ninja when Tenma is killed by Obito.
- Would Hurt a Child: While it's for comedic purposes, she elbows Itachi in the gut hard enough to knock him over.
Itachi Uchiha's girlfriend, who wanted to follow in her late father's footsteps. Despite and due to reciprocating her feelings for him, Itachi killed her first during the Uchiha Clan Massacre.
- The Ace: Despite not being able to use her Sharingan, she was skilled enough to graduate a year earlier than her peers.
- Death by Adaptation: While she dies in both versions, in the light novel she's killed by Itachi while in the anime she's killed by Obito - creating an Adaptation-Induced Plot Hole.
- Early-Bird Cameo: When telling Sasuke about Itachi's past, Obito mentions Itachi was forced to kill not just his parents but his girlfriend. Turns out Izumi was who he was talking about.
- Family Versus Career: While in life she was a career-oriented girl to the detriment of her relationship with Itachi, in her dying dream she quit being a ninja to become a mother and housewife.
- Grow Old with Me: When Itachi killed her, he used Tsukuyomi to give her a vision of them getting married, having kids, growing old, and dying together. With her final breaths, Izumi thanked him for making her dream come true - even if it was only an illusion. In the anime adaptation, she's casually Killed Offscreen by Obito.
- Kissing Cousins: She was killed in the Uchiha Clan Massacre, and even has the same last name as Itachi. She was most likely his cousin, and perhaps his fiancee in an Arranged Marriage.
- Magical Eye: She possessed the Sharingan, but lacked the chakra necessary to use it.
- Power Incontinence: Even into her teenage years she lacked the chakra levels necessary to use the Sharingan, and fainted every time she activated it.
- Puppy Love: She was infatuated with Itachi from a young age, to the point where by the time they were 11 everyone considered them a couple. He reciprocated her feelings, which is why he killed her first during the Uchiha Clan Massacre.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: Watching her father die in front of her during Kurama's rampage awakened her Sharingan.
- Turn Out Like His Father: She wants to become stronger so she can follow in her late father's footsteps. While her mother doesn't oppose this, her boyfriend Itachi tries and fails to dissuade her.
Nemui is a genin of Kumogakure, who was pitted against Itachi Uchiha in the semi-final round of the Chūnin Exams during Itachi's youth.
- Achilles' Heel: Nemui's fighting style has one major weakness: he must wake up periodically to maintain awareness of the battle. During those periods, opponents have an opening to attack.
- An Odd Place to Sleep: Right in the middle of battle.
- And I Must Scream: After being mind raped by Itachi he awoke completely terrified of thoughts of his death that he filled the arena with screams of horror.
- Dirty Coward: Itachi suspected that he was cowardly in nature, and that fear renders him unable to fight effectively while awake, hence his main jutsu to fight while asleep.
- Heavy Sleeper: His fighting style puts him in a deep sleep.
- Lightning Bruiser: While utilizing his sleep walking jutsu, he was quick enough to get the jump on Itachi and force him to remain in the high ground away from Nemui. Nemui was also strong enough that Itachi avoided physical contact with Nemui.
- Meaningful Name: "Nemui" means "sleepy", alluding to his fighting style and nickname.
- Never Wake Up a Sleepwalker: Well if you're Itachi... then you shouldn't wake up a sleep walker. See Mind Rape below.
- Mind Rape: During their match, Itachi notices that Nemui would open his eyes periodically, in those instances he took the chance to inflict Sharingan genjutsu and show images of Nemui's death. Over a long battle, he had displayed images of Nemui's death in every way possible to the point Nemui's sleep became lighter and his movements slowed until he woke up utterly terrified and surrendered the match.
- Shock and Awe: Nemui utilized Lightning Release and would channel it into his arms for powerful swings in combat.
- Sleepwalking: Nemui's core skill is his ability to fight while sleeping. In order to fight effectively, Nemui intentionally falls asleep during battle. While asleep, he is able to fight with such proficiency that even Itachi had difficulty keeping up with him. Itachi believed by sleeping, Nemui was able to bring the full potential of his physical abilities without ego and only instinct.
- Sleepyhead: True to his personality and nickname, he is presumed a lazy shinobi, or just a sleepy-head.
Mukai Kohinata was a Konohagakure jōnin and Anbu who came from a family that was distantly related to the Hyūga clan. It was soon realised that Mukai also was a suspected spy for Kirigakure. It became Itachi's first mission as entrance into the Anbu to assassinate Mukai for betrayal against the village.
- Affably Evil: He felt honoured that two of the Uchiha's prodigies were assigned to kill him for being a traitor.
- Alas, Poor Villain: He receives an honorable death from Itachi and Shisui for the love he held for his family and allowed him a final smoke.
- The Alcoholic: Mukai was a smoker as well as an alcoholic and would indulge in these vices even during important missions"I've got a weakness for alcohol and tobacco. It's how I get myself all psyched up before a fight."
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy:
- Aura Vision: Using his Byakugan, he showed great skill in reading the flow of chakra, even within jutsu such as the Great Fireball Technique which he split apart in half effortlessly in his battle against Itachi and Shisui.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: While being chased by the Suna shinobi, Mukai revealed he actually had the ability to awaken the Byakugan in his left eye and defeated the twenty shinobi easily.
- Driven to Suicide: When he was placed under Shisui's genjutsu, being programmed to do so due to being a spy, he committed suicide to deprive the Uchiha prodigies from gaining any of his secrets.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Despite being a traitor to the village and leaking information, he had a family he deeply cared for; two children, one of which was sick and a wife. This fact is not ignored by Itachi and made the decision to accept the mission to assassinate him morally troubling. Moments before his death, he confesses his actions were entirely his own, absolving his family from his actions against the village.
- Gutted Like a Fish: He cut open his own stomach when he was caught by Shisui's genjutsu.
- I Did What I Had to Do: When questioned by Itachi for his reasons for becoming a spy against the village, his response:"When you get old, things happen. You can't understand what those things are until you get some years on you. So even if I did tell you why, you'd only get half of it."
- Magical Eye: Being distantly related to the Hyūga clan, Mukai was able to find a way to activate the Byakugan in his left eye as a genetic throwback.
- The Mole: He was a spy for Kirigakure.
- Morality Pet: His family.
- Neck Lift: He overpowered Shisui with a Neck Lift before being caught in his genjutsu.
- One Last Smoke: Lying in defeat, Itachi and Shisui honor his request for a last smoke.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: Against Itachi and Shisui."I can't go easy on you. Forgive Me."
- Pressure Point: Using his Byakugan, he was able to see and target chakra points using Gentle Fist.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: His proficiency in the art of the Gentle Fist allowed Mukai to used a halved version of the Eight Trigrams Thirty-Two Palms, the Eight Trigrams Sixteen Palms, which he successfully used on Itachi.
- Self-Duplication: He could perform the Shadow Clone jutsu which he had spend time with his family at the hospital to be with his sick child.
- Smug Super: During a mission where Itachi filled in for an injured teammate, Mukai decided to confront the 20 Suna ninja that pursued them and defeated them effortlessly to show off to Itachi. Mukai showed that he could be merciless, attacking the leader of the Suna ninja with a full Eight Trigrams technique, despite the fact that a single blow would have sufficed.
- Super Reflexes: With assistance from his Byakugan, he was capable of dodging thrown weapons from 20 Suna ninja effortlessly while countering them at the same time. Itachi watched this display admiringly.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: Mukai was hailed as a taijutsu expert appearing to use a variation of Gentle Fist. His skill in taijutsu was exceptional, and Mukai was capable of defeating twenty Sunagakure shinobi without so much as a scratch, using nothing but taijutsu and his Byakugan. Itachi and Shisui, both shinobi known for their physical prowess, were unable to defeat Mukai in taijutsu and were nearly defeated in return despite them working together. Itachi had his chakra points blocked and Shisui was overpowered physically having been caught by the throat before activating the Mangekyo Sharingan to shift the battle in their favor.
Yōji Aburame was from Konohagakure's Aburame clan and a member of the Anbu Root serving under Danzo, who sometimes went by the name Sugaru.
- Abusive Parents: Yōji was raised by an abusive father who was jealous of Yōji's natural talent. When Yōji accidentally spilled juice on his father on his fifth birthday, his father slit his throat to punish him. Yoji lost the ability to speak when his father attacked him.
- Affably Evil: He was very formal with Itachi.
- Animal Eye Spy: As noted and exploited by Itachi so he could effectively cast Tsukuyomi on Sugaru.Itachi: You said you're always watching me. But you're only one person. You eat and sleep. So who's watching me then, then?Sugaru: No need to speak in such a roundabout manner... On...Itachi: It seems you've noticed. Did you think I hadn't noticed the insects watching over me?Sugaru: Impossible... The Mangekyo Sharingan on my kouchu insects...Itachi: By sharing your chakra, you assimilate what the insects have seen into your own experience. It's a more effective method than Shadow Clones.
- Animal Motifs: He is from the Aburame Clan which are characterised by their use of insects as weapons due the insects residing just under their host's skin at birth.
- Asshole Victim: Itachi used Amaterasu on Sugaru, burning him and each of his insects until only ashes remained. Sugaru, via his insects, cried out in agony as he died, avenging Shisui.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Played straight and notably the only member of the Aburame Clan to do so.
- Bodyguarding a Badass: When Itachi joined the Academy, Yōji was assigned to pose as a student and observe Itachi, passing along reports about Itachi to Danzō. A year after Itachi graduated from the Academy, Yōji was assigned to Itachi's Team 2 as a replacement to Tenma so that he could continue to watch him. The two never spoke, and Itachi left the team after becoming chuunin. A few years later, when Itachi joined Anbu's Team Ro with Kakashi, Yōji, using the codename Sugaru, was also added to the team. Officially he was just another member, but Danzō informed Itachi that Sugaru's sole responsibility was to keep Itachi safe from harm, such as fellow Anbu who harbor ill feelings towards the Uchiha.
- The trope is further revealed to be deconstructed as Sugaru was meant to always watch Itachi for Danzo's purposes. It was Sugaru's watching that lead to Danzo foiling Shisui and Itachi's plan to end the coup and resulted in Shisui's death. Even as Itachi left the village after the Uchiha Massacre, Sugaru claimed he would always watch Itachi. Itachi ends up killing him for killing his best friend Shisui.
- Child Prodigy: He claimed to be older than Itachi, but considering he could still pass as an academy student and a new genin, he was a child prodigy capable of dealing with Shisui and successfully spying on Itachi from his entrance into the academy until he left the village.
- Cool Mask: He wore an anbu white tiger mask.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: When Itachi left the village following the Uchiha Massacre, Itachi called out Sugaru, aware that he would be followed wherever he went. Sugaru didn't believe Itachi could do anything to stop him, but was quickly proven wrong: Itachi used Tsukuyomi on the insects inhabiting Sugaru's body, preventing him from moving. He then used Amaterasu on Sugaru, burning him and each of his insects until only ashes remained. Sugaru, via his insects, cried out in agony as he died, avenging Shisui.
- The Dragon: For Danzo.
- Hive Mind: See Animal Eye Spy above.
- Kill It with Fire: He meets his end being burned to death by Amatarasu, and not even a single one of his insects was able to escape.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: He is a living host for poisonous insects. He can decompose entirely into insects, making him questionably human. He lost his voice from being slit in the throat by his father, and can only speak with the use of insects.
- Mysterious WatcherSugaru: Just ten from the Foundation cover the entire population of Konohagakure. And another two for the Uchiha Clan.Itachi: What are you talking about?Sugaru: Monitoring. Separate from the Hokage's Anbu, there is a monitoring division through the Foundation solely for the Foundation. A total of twelve people are required to monitor the village. With just that number of personal, we can know the movements of the village. There is one who has been ordered to monitor... Me.Itachi: And what exactly are you monitoring?Sugaru: You. Ever since you started at the academy, I have been watching the person known as Itachi Uchiha. Lord Danzo has used twelve people to monitor the village. The fact that I was devoted to you alone is proof of just how much he favoured you.Itachi: I'm not exactly pleased to have that man favor me.Sugaru: It seems I misspoke. You are already in the palm of Lord Danzo's hand. You won't be able to escape from his darkness.
- Patricide: He killed his abusive father in self defense.
- Perfect Poison: He carried a particular species of insect called kochū, which had the ability to infect enemies with a deadly poison that first paralysed the victim and then killed them shortly afterwards; this poison also had the special property of disappearing after the victim's death, making it undetectable during an autopsy. This made these insects highly effective in assassinations, as they were undetectable as mosquitoes yet as deadly as scorpions.
- Pest Controller: As an Aburame, Yōji housed insects inside his body that fed off his chakra, being able to direct them in combat against his opponents
- Poison Is Evil: How did Danzo acquire the Mangekyo Sharingan from the famed Shisui the Teleporter? It's never answered in the manga. In the Itachi Shinden Midnight Novel, it's revealed to be because of Sugaru. During an unwanted meeting between Shisui and Danzo, Sugaru caught Shisui off guard with his insects' poison and paralysed his movements, enabling Danzō to take Shisui's Mangekyō Sharingan for himself. Shisui escaped before his second Mangekyō could be taken, but the insects' poison couldn't be removed and he would die anyway; the poison would then break down so it wouldn't show up during an autopsy.
- Put on a Bus: In the Daylight Novel while on the same genin team, he dissapears from the story when Itachi enters the chuunin exams. Itachi is told by his other female teammate that he was suddenly transferred without saying goodbye. Itachi found this suspiciously similar to how the Anbu opperate, but dismissed the idea because Yoji never displayed any amazing talent.
- The Bus Came Back: He reappears in the Midnight Novel having been revealed as a Foundation member of the Anbu under Danzo assigned to watch over Itachi.
- Self-Made Orphan: When Yōji accidentally spilled juice on his father on his fifth birthday, his father slit his throat to punish him. Yōji retaliated by killing his father. Orphaned, Yōji was soon recruited into Root by Danzō Shimura.
- The Stoic: As a member of the Anbu Root, he is trained to not have any emotion.
- The Symbiote: As an Aburame, he was a vessel for several special breed of insects, residing just under their host's skin.
- Synchronized Swarming: Appearing before Itachi in their final confrontation.A myriad of small winged insects came together in the forest, where there had previously been nothing, to create an enormous dark form in empty space. The insects gradually took on human shape. A man wearing a white tiger mask appeared out of the ether, and floated in midair accompanied by the sound of countless tiny wings.
- Undying Loyalty""I am a member of the Foundation. Master Danzo's orders are absolute. So, if I am ordered to be the hands and feet of Itachi, I am prepared to give my life for you, even if you are younger than me."
- Vocal Dissonance: His voice was described as a dry rustling sound, as if something was stuck in his throat, making it hard to hear what he was saying.
- The Voiceless: Because he'd lost the ability to speak when his father attacked him, Danzō taught him how to use the insects that inhabited his body to produce words. Though effective, it made his voice sound weird and tired him out, for which reason he preferred to remain silent.
- The Worm That Walks: He could break down his body completely into insects.
Mezu and Gozu
Mezu and Gozu were twin brothers and members of Konohagakure's Root, a faction of the Anbu led by Danzō Shimura. They were assigned under Itachi when he became an Anbu Captain, and worked with him to monitor the Uchiha for a year. They served as spies impersonating Kagen Uchiha, who was killed by the Foundation and replaced.
- Always Identical Twins: Due to being given Kagen's appearance.
- Big Brother Instinct: Inverted. Mezu offered no resistance to being killed by Itachi, well aware that Kagen's body must be among the dead; he felt it was his responsibility as the younger brother to die so that Gozu didn't need to.
- Cool Mask: Gozu wore an anbu monkey mask with red markings and Mezu wore an anbu monkey mask with blue markings.
- Deadpan Snarker: Gozu and Mezu would usually get on Itachi's nerves by mocking the Uchiha's in depth plan to take over the village.Mezu: I wonder exactly how they're gonna pin down the third Hokage aka the Professor, huh? Heh, heh, heh...
- Dead Person Impersonation: Both brothers were given the face of Kagen and took over his identity to spy on the clan and it's meetings. Kagen was noted to be unremarkable, a genin, never activated the sharingan, worked in the logistical operations division for the Military Police Force in the Uchiha clan and also had no close relatives. Therefore, it was easy to have him impersonated by the Foundation.
- The Dividual: The Twindividual type. They both impersonate Kagen Uchiha, being given the same face and are both deadpan snarkers.
- Foil: Mezu is one to Itachi. Itachi is the big brother protecting his little brother Sasuke. However, Mezu was the little brother protecting his older brother Gozu.
- Go Out with a Smile: Mezu held a sad smile, formerly Kagen's, proclaiming his use to his big brother as Itachi plunged his blade into his chest.
- Irony: After the clan was wiped out, Gozu was apparently killed by Itachi so that Itachi could impersonate him by wearing his anbu mask and get close to Danzo, confronting him before departing the village.
- Jerkass: They both would outright mock the Uchiha's plan for the coup, but against Itachi personally Gozu would point out the benefits of Shisui's death against the Uchiha, which would piss off Itachi.
- Kick the Dog: The real Kagen Uchiha being yet another victim of the Anbu Foundation, Kagen however was an ordinary person with a desk job and no influence to the plot or desirable quality and yet is killed for the Foundation's purposes of stealing his identity.
- Kill and Replace: Kagen is killed by the Foundation and replaced by the twin brothers who are given Kagen's appearance to spy on the Uchiha clan. Gozu himself seemingly suffers this fate as well, having his mask and uniform taken by Itachi so he could get close to Danzo a final time.
- The Mole: They are the two Root members assigned to monitor the Uchiha that Sugaru mentions to Itachi previously.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Mezu dying as Kagen on the night of the Uchiha Massacre, but also in his brother's place becomes pointless due to Itachi ultimately killing Gozu.
- The Stoic: As members of the Anbu Root, they are trained to not have any emotion. Mezu was complacent with Itachi killing him understanding the purpose of his death since being taken in by Danzo.
- Those Two Guys: Of the Foundation.
- Undying Loyalty: On the night that Itachi wiped out the Uchiha clan, Mezu was impersonating Kagen. He offered no resistance to being killed by Itachi, well aware that Kagen Uchiha's body must be among the dead for the cause of the Foundation.
- We Have Reserves: While agreeing to take on the mission to slay the Uchiha, Itachi questions what he should do about Kagen, and Danzo, suddenly remembering him, nonchalantly tells Itachi to kill whoever he sees as Kagen because members of the Foundation serve exactly that purpose.
Chino is a girl from the Bamboo Village. She lives with her friend Nowaki and travels with Sasuke to investigate the exploding humans that attacked the Bamboo Village and Konoha. She appears to be childlike, sweet, and timid. She's actually a survivor of the Chinoike clan and possessor of the Kekkei Genkai Ketsuryugan, and the one behind the exploding humans, it being one of her powers.
- The Atoner: Agrees to work for Kumogakure and Kirigakure to atone for her actions.
- Big Bad: She's the one who is behind the whole exploding humans incident.
- Best Served Cold: She holds the Uchiha clan responsible for the destruction of the Chinoike clan, since they refused to intervene when they were driven into the Valley of Hell, where they eventually were killed. So she sent exploding humans on Konoha to get back at Sasuke by destroying the Leaf.
- The Cutie: She's sweet, cute and innocent. Not so much once she reveals she's the one behind the exploding humans.
- HeelFace Turn: After her battle with Sasuke she realizes the error in her ways and surrenders.
- Master of Illusion: The Ketsuryugan was said to be a match for the Sharingan when her clan was still around.
- Not So Different: She and Sasuke have a lot more in common than either of them suspect. Her strong personality resemblance to his past self is why Sasuke empathizes with her and spares her life, teaching her the lesson that Naruto taught him.
- Older Than They Look: She appears to be a cute little girl, sporting Blush Stickers and a cheerful attitude to match. She's actually older than Sasuke, and is just as revenge-obsessed as he used to be.
- The Power of Blood: Her Ketsuryugan lets her manipulate blood on a terrifying level, creating gigantic creatures from pools of iron-rich water after dripping her blood into it, and making people explode from inside.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her Ketsuryugan turns her irises crimson with horizontally-slitted pupils, and red sclera. It lets her control the iron in her blood to manipulate it and objects infected by it.
- Revenge Before Reason: In her worse moments, she reminds Sasuke of his revenge-obsessed past self.
- Tag Along Kid: A bit of a subversion. While she's the smallest and most childlike of the group, she's older than Sasuke.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Like with the Sharingan, the Ketsuryugan manifests itself in time of great trauma or despair.
Nowaki is Chino's friend. A man of a few words, he only speaks his mind when it's useful. He and Chino are staying at a bamboo village in the Land of Hot Water when Sasuke arrives to gather information on the disappearance of Konohagakure, Kumogakure, and Kirigakure shinobi. He goes with Sasuke and Chino to investigate the exploding humans.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: It's revealed that he's actually Fuushin, using a jutsu to disguise himself. All the jutsu does is make him appear overweight, without changing any of his other physical features.
- Non-Action Guy: He doesn't participate in fighting.
- The Stoic: He is a man of few words and speaks rarely.
The rumored leader of the Lighting Gang. Sasuke suspects he's behind the exploding humans that attacked the Bamboo Village and Konoha. He's a very cautious man.
- All of the Other Reindeer: He was looked down because he has a Bloodline Ability, Typhoon Release. He was blamed for a real typhoon who blasted a village. He was then sold for pennies to a rich man named Kisabi.
- Blow You Away: He's a master of the Typhoon Release, a far stronger version of Wind Release. He can even fight Sasuke's Perfect Susano'o with it.
The former employer of Fuushin. Oyashiro is a greedy and eccentric individual who makes his living hosting gladiatorial matches where he and other wealthy individuals force kekkei genkai owners fight in exchange for money and ownership of the loser's gladiator. On the surface, he appears as a laid back man who greets Orochimaru like an old friend.