Team 7 (Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Kakashi Hatake) | Team 8 (Hinata Hyuga) | Team 10 | Team Guy | The Legendary Sannin | Hokages | The Uchiha Clan | Other Leaf Village Members | Hidden Sand Village (Gaara) | Hidden Mist Village | Hidden Cloud Village | Hidden Stone Village | Hidden Sound Village (Orochimaru) | Akatsuki (Itachi Uchiha, Tobi, Pain/Nagato) | Madara Uchiha | Other Characters | Hebi/Taka | Tailed Beasts and Their Hosts | Otsutsuki Clan | Anime-Only Characters | Movie-Only Characters | Novel-Only Characters | Game-Only Characters | The New Era
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
The Uchiha Clan
The descendants of Indra, the elder son of the Sage of the Six Paths, the Uchiha were once renowned as one of the Hidden Leaf Village's most powerful clans. Select members of the clan were particularly known for their Sharingan, Magical Eyes which gifted their bearers with incredible power.
Before the founding of the Hidden Leaf, they had an infamous rivalry with the Senju clan that spanned countless years, all the way back to the era of the very first shinobi. But one day the two clans finally signed a truce, and their leaders become the founders of the Hidden Leaf.
A few years before the beginning of the series, Itachi Uchiha, in one night, destroyed the entire clan, save one survivor: Sasuke, his younger brother who swore to avenge the Uchiha by taking revenge on Itachi.
All Uchiha provide example of:
- Arch-Enemy: Before the founding of the Hidden Leaf, the Senju clan was for them, сonfrontation with which spanned countless years, all the way back to the era of the very first shinobi.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: All Uchihas are naturally gifted. Most Uchihas are naturally pricks. Kinda goes with the territory that they would be up their own asses about how gifted they are.
- Aura Vision: The Sharingan allows the user to differentiate Chakra natures via colors.
- Badass Family: The Uchiha clan includes: Itachi, who's able to effortlessly defeat some of the strongest ninjas in the series while still a teenager, Sasuke, Itachi's younger brother and the series's Deuteragonist, who's at the end of the series, is one of the strongest people in the world, Madara, a contender for the title of "strongest ninja in history". His brother Izuna was said to be equally good. Shisui who is Master of Illusion even by Uchiha standards. And of course, there's Obito, aka Tobi, who's is perfectly capable of fighting the entire world at once, single-handedly.
- The Beautiful Elite: The Uchiha are noted for producing very attractive men.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Big time.
- Blessed with Suck: The Sharingan and The Mangekyou Sharingan gives a true Story-Breaker Power... what a pity that it also makes the owner more psychically unstable and the only way be activated this force, it is to experience suffering from loss of a loved one.
- Catchphrase: "Don't underestimate the Uchiha", phrase that was pronounced several times at least three different members of the Uchiha clan.
- Combat Clairvoyance: A sufficiently-developed Sharingan can allow the user to predict what an opponent will do in a fight.
- Dirty Cop: It is said their status of being the law within the village boosted the clan's ego to the point they used their status as the Military Police to help disguise their planning of a coup on the Leaf Village.
- Easily Forgiven: All the heroes forgave them and treated them as misunderstood beings despite all the atrocities they have committed. Each of the four main Uchiha was easily forgiven for at least one of good guys. Even Madara, otherwise an aversion, had Hashirama excusing his actions at every turn.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Sharingan, especially when they get into their Mangekyo stages, which have their own unique design for each user.
- Expy: Hmm, a group of famously talented and prideful warriors whose true powers are awakened with a burst of negative emotions who also managed to become a Spotlight-Stealing Squad despite being reduced to only a mere handful of living members in a single day long ago in the backstory? Why, hello there ninja Saiyans!
- Eye Color Change: The Sharingan is a hereditary superpower of the Uchiha clan that allows for Awesomeness by Analysis and causes a distinctive change in the eye when used; a more advanced version called the Mangekyo Sharingan exists that has a different look. Both are unlocked by traumatic experiences, and supposedly, no two Mangekyo Sharingan are alike..
- Family Eye Resemblance: Most of them have the Sharingan eye.
- Freudian Excuse: The Uchiha have several of these, including being genetically predisposed to insanity that manifests after they suffer great loss/unlock their sharingan and the Black Zetsu working behind the scenes and being the catalyst for most of the terrible things done by the Uchiha. Each of the four main Uchiha has his own but it is for the clan as a whole.
- The Gift: The Sharingan makes them prodigies in ninjutsu, taijutsu, and genjutsu; also, it drives them more and more insane as they continue to lose bonds
- Heartbroken Badass: A common trait within the entire clan. In fact, this is how their Sharingan activates.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: If Hashirama's flashback is any indication, most of the members during the start of Konoha were much more willing to give coexistence a chance than Madara and they would have stayed that way if it weren't for the machinations of Black Zetsu, Madara, and Obito.
- High Collar of Doom/Collared by Fashion: Seems to be "standard" Uchiha casual garb.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: The true nature of their massacre was never revealed to the village. To the village, they died as victims at the hands of the traitorous Itachi. In actuality, they were planning a rebellion against the village, and Itachi assassinated them before they could initiate their coup.
- Hypnotic Eyes: They can trap their enemies in powerful genjutsu.
- In the Blood: Tobi calls them "a clan destined for revenge." For generations, they've kept on having grudges. Considering that Tobi/Obito is an Uchiha, it says a lot. Especially since he was, at one point, the most decent of all of them, and he ended up harboring hatred for both Konoha and the Clan, and tried to destroy both. He only succeeded with the Clan. Why is this so meaningful? Just look below.
- It's All About Me: This is the defining trait of the clan. You could count on one hand the number of named Uchihas who don't hardline this trope ( Kagami, Shisui, and Sarada).
- Irony: Most of the known unique Mangekyo Sharingan powers seem to operate on this:
- Itachi's Tsukuyomi allows him to perfectly control everything inside it, which is ironic, because in reality things tend to go Gone Horribly Right around him. Amaterasu on the other hand destroys everything in sight, eventhough his goal is to protect everyone he can, and once cast, he can't controll it, meaning he's stuck with the results, also mirroring his bad luck with his plans. His Susanoo also possesses the Yata Mirror, an unbreakbale shield, and the Totsuka Blade, a sword that can seal away anything it pierces, which is a combination that, according Black Zetsu, makes Itachi virtually invincable, but he can't use them effectively, because they take an extremely heavy toll on his body and chakra reserves.
- Sasuke wanted to both get closer to Itachi on a personal level, and surpass him as a ninja, so at the cost of losing him, he gains the same Amaterasu Itachi had, and for failing to kill (ie surpass) him, Blaze Release, the power to controll and shape Amaterasu's black flames, which is something Itachi couldn't do.
- Obito was too late to save Rin, and watching her die awakened Kamui, the power to instantly teleport whereever he wanted to.
- Kakashi, who had Obito's other eye, couldn't stop himself from impaling Rin with his Raikiri after she jumped in front of him, so he awakened another variant of Kamui, that allows him to teleport what-ever he's looking at away into another dimension.
- Love Makes You Crazy: This is revealed to be the true nature of the Uchiha Clan's curse, crossed over with Love Makes You Evil. They do not lack love; they love too much. And when they witness the death of a loved one, it activates the sharingan, literally born out of the hate that was born out of that loss. The deeper they delve into that hatred, the stronger their eyes get, but as a side effect they become hateful, bitter, cynical, and as Sasuke, Tobi, and to a lesser extent, Madara has shown us, downright insane. This is why Tobirama Senju, the Second Hokage, considered them a "cursed clan".
- Love Makes You Evil: As stated by Senju Tobirama, the Second Hokage, the Uchiha treasured love and friendship even more than their own clan. However, because this is a part of them they regularly conceal, an Uchiha's love turns into hatred the moment they lose the ones they hold dear, thus being their ultimate downfall. When an Uchiha witnesses and/or suffers the death of a loved one, the brain releases special chakra through the optic nerves to awaken the Sharingan. It is literally born out of the hatred from that loss. The deeper an Uchiha delves into that hatred, the stronger the Sharingan gets, and the more damaged mentally they are. It explains Sasuke's deteriorating sanity and Tobi's loss of idealism and empathy. Madara, whom the First Hokage remarked had loved his brother Izuna as much as, if not more than, Itachi had loved Sasuke, is heavily implied to be as he is because of Izuna's death. Tobi, aka Obito, developed a fully matured Sharingan, and a mere moment later, a Mangekyo Sharingan after witnessing the death of his childhood crush Rin. It led him to follow through with an Assimilation Plot.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan, which (supposedly only occurs in select members of the clan), gave them a number of abilities. The Sharingan can also transform into the even more powerful Rinnegan, using the genetics of the Uchiha clan's distant cousins the Senju clan.
- Mega Manning: Ability to copy ninjutsu, genjutsu, and taijutsu.
- Playing with Fire: Being able to use the Grand Fireball Jutsu is used as a coming of age test.
- Power Born of Madness: The inherent power of the Uchiha clan (Sharingan) may be activated only in the event of suffering ultimate stress and loss so strong that they break the Uchiha somewhere deep.
- The Power of Hate: According to Tobirama, the Sharingan and Mangekyo Sharingan manifest as a form of this and The Power of Love. To be more precise, the Sharingan manifests when someone an Uchiha loves dies or apparently betrays them, causing them to grow increasingly enraged at the world. The more the Uchiha in question grows to hate, the more powerful the Sharingan becomes, but also more unstable the user's psyche. This is at least one reason why all the important Uchiha we've met are evil (Madara), broken (Itachi) or both (Tobi).
- Pride: Another one is the defining trait of the clan almost on par with It's All About Me. This is also one of the main reasons why they end up on the verge of extinction.
- The Proud Elite: Emphasis on "Proud".
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: The Sharingan, in all its forms.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: The names of Mangekyo Sharingan jutsu borrow heavily from Japanese Mythology.
- Slasher Smile: When an Uchiha's sanity slips especially hard, they have been known to sport one. See Sasuke, Itachi, and Madara.
- Smug Super: A lot of them believe they're superior with good reason, but Madara takes the cake in this overall.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The Uchiha clan were supposed to all be dead except for two members, Sasuke and Itachi. Then we find out there's another, then we find out that he was claiming to be another, and then we find out that almost every arc villain, and the vast majority of the plot, were because of the machinations of certain Uchiha who just couldn't handle things not going their way. It gets worse when revealed that Black Zetsu, the villain responsible for everything that happened in the series, chose the Uchiha to be the "main cast" for his "Story of Shinobi". In short, the Uchiha became the center of everything.
- Story-Breaker Power: The Mangekyo has powers that seem ridiculous even by the story's standards, like nigh-inextinguishable black flames, a near unstoppable genjutsu, Portal Cutting summoning of a giant spectral suit of armor, implanting of fake memories, warping to a pocket dimension, and finally, warping reality (if only enough to come Back from the Dead) with the cost of an eye. And it only gets stronger as its user gets crazier. And Uchihas have incredibly fragile egos and are prone to Jumping Off the Slippery Slope at the slightest provocation.
- Super Powerful Genetics: Grants eyes that eventually reach godlike levels of power, at the cost of going absolutely nuts.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: The ones that are jerks anyway.
- Too Dumb to Live: They attempted a coup against Konoha, which probably would have left the village and clan vulnerable to outside threats even if they managed to win.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: This is typical for the Sharingan. While the first form may also activate in Die or Fly situations, the advanced "Mangekyou" version requires severe trauma; So severe in fact, that the most reliable way to awaken was considered to be murdering your best friend. The Second Hokage explains that when a Uchiha feels strong emotions, usually grief or rage, it causes their brain to generate a unique type of chakra. This chakra mutates the eyes into Sharingan.
Voiced by: Shinobu Matsumoto, (JP) Benjamin Diskin (En)
The father of Madara, Izuna, and several other Uchiha children (all of whom died). Leader of the Uchiha Clan before the founding of the Leaf Village.
- Action Dad: He fought alongside his sons during the war.
- Arch-Enemy: He hated no one more than Butsuma Senju.
- Killed Offscreen: His death is never seen.
- The Leader: Led the Uchiha Clan before Madara did.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Had a really weird face that looked like a troll face.
- Posthumous Character: As Madara's father it's kinda expected.
- Would Hurt a Child: Not just hurt but kill.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Doesn't have a lot of characterization.
Voiced by: Yō Tokunaga (JP), Nicolas Roye (En)
The brother of Madara Uchiha, Izuna was a shinobi who died before the founding of Konoha. His great rivalry with his brother led to him being one of the first members of the Uchiha Clan to unlock the powerful Mangekyou Sharingan. Looks just like Sasuke.
- Cynicism Catalyst: His death was what really convinced Madara that peace was meaningless.
- Eye Scream: Madara claimed to have ripped his eyes out to gain the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan. According to Tobi and Hashirama, Izuna was okay with this. It is later revealed in a flashback that Madara only took his eyes after he was mortally wounded by Tobirama.
- I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin: On his deathbed, he gave Madara his eyes to protect the clan. Somewhat deconstructed, since it's implied that this promise and the emotional weight of the MacGuffin turned Madara into a Well-Intentioned Extremist when he felt that the task was impossible.
- Morality Chain / Morality Pet: Izuna was everything to Madara. His death is what made Madara into the man he is today.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Had Izuna never died, there is no doubt that history would've been much, much different.
- Posthumous Character: Kinda a given considering his death is what made Madara go off the deep end in the first place.
- Red Herring: Like Danzo and Obito, he was suspected to be Tobi's true identity.
- Revenge Before Reason: Even as he dies, he tells Madara to continue fighting against the Senju, even though Hashirama's medical jutsu could have saved his life.
- Sibling Rivalry: He and his brother competed often, which resulted in both of them awakening the Mangekyou Sharingan.
- Sibling Team: His hobby was training with Madara.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Resembled an older, less angry Sasuke.
Voiced By: Kengo Kawanishi (JP) Skip Stellrecht
- Body Guarding A Badass: Was apart of Tobirama's team.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Thought he was a background character? Well, he is, but being Uchiha he comes back to take his slice of the Plot Pie. He was the only Uchiha that Tobirama Senju truly admired, and proved to him that Uchiha weren't all selfish monsters. This was the reason that Tobirama eventually decided to trust Sasuke. He's also Shisui's ancestor.
- Generation Xerox: His descendant Shisui is this to him, looking like him and sharing many of his ideals.
- Post Humous Character
- Satellite Character: Revolves around Tobirama and His son Shisui.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Despite his small role it thanks to him passing his ideals on to his descendant Shisui that Itachi is able to go through with the Uchiha massacre.
- Undying Loyalty: The village was everything to him.
- White Sheep: He was one of the few Uchiha that wasn't crazy and evil.
Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi (JP), Kengo Kawanishi (JP, child), Nicholas Roye (EN,Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution), Carlos Hernández (Latin American Spanish, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4)
Itachi's best friend and role model, who appeared to have committed suicide when his duties as a shinobi became too much, though the Uchihas suspected that he was murdered by Itachi. Itachi confirms this to Sasuke, revealing that he murdered him to gain the Mangekyo Sharingan. This turns out to have been a half-lie, as Shisui did kill himself, but it was with Itachi's assistance and done specifically so that Itachi could gain the Mangekyo to kill off the clan and prevent war. He himself had an unusually powerful Mangekyo, though who died in order for him to obtain it is unknown. Itachi claims that Naruto has inherited Shisui's will.
- The Ace: He was extremely talented to the point that Itachi looked up to him. In the Itachi Shinden novels, Itachi felt that it was Shisui that took the initiative to stop the coup between them.
- Bequeathed Power: He gives Itachi his remaining left. The eye eventually assisted Itachi in deactivating the Edo Tensei programming placed on him during the 4th Shinobi war, and allowed him to protect the village.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: He and Itachi staged his suicide so Danzo wouldn't pursue him further for his other Mangekyo sharingan, and also so Itachi would awaken his own Mangekyo.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Itachi.
- Broken Ace: Shisui had a darker side he was deeply ashamed of; out of envy to a friend who he believed had surpassed him in ability, Shisui withheld aid at a critical moment, leading to his friend's death. The guilt of what he had done led Shisui to consider himself a murderer, causing him to awaken his Mangekyō Sharingan, serving as a constant reminder of his remorse.
- Chekhov's Gunman: His eye was revealed to be in possession by Danzo during the Kage Summit. During the 4th ninja war, it's revealed the power Itachi gave Naruto was Shisui's other eye and it was able to counter the Edo Tensei programming turning Itachi to the side of the Allied Forces.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Eye Scream: Danzo stole one of his eyes. He gave the other to Itachi.
- Face Death with Dignity: He accepted his death entrusting his best friend Itachi with the protection of the village.
- Flash Step: Was said to be a master of the Body Flicker technique.
- Generation Xerox: In more ways than one. Shisui was the descendant of Kagami Uchiha, with whom he not only shares a great physical resemblance but also a great deal of personality and ideals. For one, Kagami was one of the few Uchiha that the Second Hokage had liked, as he not only showed a great devotion to his clan but an even greater devotion to the village - a trait he would pass on to his descendant.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Killed himself to make sure that Itachi would succeed in killing off their clan, prevent them from starting up another war and awakening Itachi's Mangekyou Sharingan.
- I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin: After Danzō stole Shisui's right eye, Shisui entrusted his remaining eye to Itachi Uchiha to prevent Danzo from acquiring it.
- MacGuffin: Even years after his demise, Shisui's powers and actions left their mark on the world. While Danzō used the eye he stole for his questionable agendas, Itachi kept Shisui's other eye to honour his friend's final request to protect the village and their clan's good name. Inserting the eye in the body of a crow, Itachi made final arrangements to implant the bird in Naruto's body as a countermeasure against Sasuke if he learned the truth behind the Uchiha clan's demise and attempted to destroy Konoha. However, due to the immense power that Shisui's eyes held, they were eventually destroyed to prevent them from falling into enemy hands: Danzō destroying his eye in his final moments to keep Tobi from acquiring it, and a reincarnated Itachi, after Kotoamatsukami was used on him, incinerated the crow.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Itachi's last memory of Shisui is him giving advice and entrusting Itachi to keep Konoha safe... with one eye freshly gauged out. What's more, he then calmly pulls out the other one and hands it to him.
- Master of Illusion: His Mangekyo Sharingan' jutsu, Kotoamatsukami, which allows the user to enter the mind of any individual within their field of view, no eye contact required, and manipulate them by giving them false experiences, making it seem as if they were doing things of their own free will. It is regarded as a genjutsu of the highest calibre, due to the victim being entirely unaware that they are being manipulated. As a testament to its power, it was strong enough to negate Kabuto Yakushi's control over a reincarnated Itachi.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Shisui of the Body Flicker" (or "Shisui the Teleporter" in the English dub) does not sound like an easy enemy to face.
- Negated Moment of Awesome: He was about to cast Kotoamatsukami on his clan members to make them reconsider a coup de tat against Konoha but Danzo interrupted him and took his eye from him.
- Playing with Fire: He was very skilled with using fire techniques such as the rite of passage Great Fireball Technique.
- Posthumous Character: Already dead by the time the series starts.
- Reverse Mole: Was ordered by the Uchiha clan to keep tabs on Itachi when he began to act strangely, but he was on Itachi and the Village's side, and attempted to prevent the coup via genjutsu, but had one of his eyes stolen by Danzo. Ultimately he had Itachi help him commit suicide, so that way he could gain the Mangekyo Sharingan to aid him in his mission.
- Survivor Guilt: In the Itachi Shinden novels, Shisui reveals to Itachi that he awakened his Mangekyō by killing his closest friend: shortly after the 3rd Shinobi World War ended, he and the friend were on a mission that was much too difficult for genin as they were. While being pursued by enemy forces, the friend fell behind, and Shisui did not make the effort to save him. While Shisui may not have literally killed the friend, he confesses he'd been jealous of the boy's abilities and that that jealousy motivated his refusal to help. The guilt he felt was enough to awaken the Mangekyō.
- Thanatos Gambit: He committed suicide to give Itachi the Mangekyo Sharingan so that he would be strong enough to wipe out the Uchihas and protect Konoha from being thrown into another war. It worked.
- This Is a Drill:
- Masashi Kishimoto's design for his Susano'o in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution includes a drill weapon, proving once and for all to the fandom that Shisui really was the Kamina of the Naruto-verse.
- Taken to ridiculous levels in Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: just like Sasuke and Madara, Shisui can now use a gigantic Perfect Susano'o with an even more gigantic Drill, which can pierce the heavens.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: See Survivor Guilt above.
- White Sheep: He can be considered one of the best of the Uchiha personality which we have seen in the series. Turns out it's a trait which he picked up from his ancestor, who was a close ally of the Second Hokage.
- Undying Loyalty: Although Shisui was devoted to his clan, he was even more devoted to the well-being of his village, a trait his own clan is apparently ignorant of. His devotion to his village was so strong that he never fell victim to the Curse of Hatred.
- Worthy Opponent: May have been this to Ao, who distinctly remembers his unique chakra "color" despite his being dead for more than eight years.
Fugaku and Mikoto Uchiha
Voiced for Fugaku: Hiroshi Matsumoto (JP, episode 84), Kenji Hamada (JP, Current), Wally Wingert (EN, episode 84), Doug Stone (EN, Current), Héctor Reynoso (Latin American Spanish), Mathieu Moreau (French)
Voiced for Mikoto: Emi Sagara (JP), Kari Wahlgren (EN), Gabriela Willert (Latin American Spanish), Julie Basecqz (French)
The parents of Sasuke and Itachi. Before his death at the hands of his son, Fugaku was the leader of the Uchiha Clan. Mikoto was a good friend of Kushina Uzumaki, Naruto's mother.
- The Chains of Commanding: Fugaku's worn-looking face suggests that leadership of the Uchiha was very stressful business, which would explain why he didn't begrudge Itachi when the latter turned on them. His eldest son inherited these characteristics from his father, which probably attests to the latter becoming a Broken Ace later in life.
- Childhood Friends: Mikoto was apparently tight with Kushina Uzumaki in their youth, and they were best friends.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Played with, as their deaths were ordered because of their planned hostile takeover of the Leaf Village.
- Face Death with Dignity: Neither protested, cried, or even blinked when Itachi was about to kill them. They even told him that they understood his reasons and that they cared for him anyway. Even better, they had to encourage Itachi to finish the job because he was so wrecked about what he had to do.
- Generation Xerox: Like their mothers, Naruto and Sasuke became best friends (though their relationship was more Vitriolic Best Buds than not).
- Good Parents: Regardless of your personal opinion of their actions, there is no denying that they were good parents. Sasuke had a close relationship with his mother, and while he felt he was The Unfavorite in his father's eyes, Fugaku more or less told him that he was proud of him. They were also very loving parents to Itachi as well. They understood his decision, and regardless of everything that has happened, they were proud of him. Their last request was that he take care of Sasuke. Itachi broke down as he killed them, because regardless of their actions, they were his parents and he loved them.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: According to Itachi Shinden, Fugaku was the one who brought Itachi to a battlefield, when he was 4, in the hope he would grew up quickly. Itachi starts pondering about what he saw and asks himself questions a young kid shouldn't, like how to try to prevent wars and try to have less casualties. This backfires spectacularly when Itachi choose later to side with Konoha during the Uchiha Coup d'état.
- I Let You Win: Only explicit in the anime, where Fugaku was revealed to secretly have the Mangekyo Sharingan himself, and even Itachi was not confident he could defeat his own father. However, in any incarnation, the two make no effort to resist Itachi and simply accept their fates at the hands of their son.
- The Last DJ: Much of the resentment Fugaku's generation of Uchiha had with the village (apart from the historical ones)—at least according to Itachi Shinden—was the perception that Fugaku's career was being shafted/stalled at his prime. Despite having been one of the better leaders and shinobi they produced (having even served time during the Third Shinobi World War), he never got recognition from the village authorities and the public.From Itachi Shinden The last straw, apart from this, was Fugaku never being nominated for the post of Hokage, especially with Minato in the limelight. In the internal narrations of the novels, Fugaku admits to harboring the same resentments, but never admitting to them publicly (to preserve his dignity and pride, straining his relationship with Itachi even more).
- The Leader: Fugaku, who was said by Danzo to have been one of the shrewdest and most intelligent leaders that the Uchiha Clan had in generations.
- Parental Favoritism: Fugaku preferred eldest son Itachi (although Mikoto said this was mainly due to his importance in the clan, and he talked about Sasuke in private with his wife), Mikoto favored little son Sasuke. Turns out, Fugaku loved Sasuke enough that his last request was that Itachi take care of him; conversely, Mikoto's last words were a gentle reassurance to Itachi that they both still loved him and fully understood his decision.
- Parents as People: While they were Good Parents, they weren't perfect. They still had the good of the clan to think of, which is what led to the coup, and all the tragedy that their sons had to endure for the next eight years. Itachi's decision to kill them was an acknowledgement of their faults, while Sasuke takes until the end of the series to recognize and accept the same.
- Red Baron: In the Itachi Shinden Novels, Fugaku's accomplishments during the Third Shinobi World War earned him the nickname of "Wicked Eye Fugaku", presumably for his prowess with the Sharingan.
- Silk Hiding Steel/Yamato Nadeshiko: Mikoto was a jounin, but it's hard to tell from her disposition.
- So Proud of You: Their final words to their son Itachi before he kills them.
- Treachery Cover Up: They were executed as traitors by Itachi's hands to prevent a Civil War and in the name of peace and the Leaf Village.
Voiced by: Takashi Nagasako (JP), Troy Baker (EN)
Yashiro Uchiha was a member of the Uchiha clan and the Konoha Military Police Force.
Yashiro, alongside Tekka and Inabi, went to question Itachi about his absence from the clan meeting that was kept the night before. As they questioned Itachi about Shisui Uchiha's death, presenting Itachi with Shisui's alleged suicide note telling him that they had analysed and confirmed the handwriting to be his, he stated that he hoped that more evidence would turn up. As Itachi accosted them for their words, Yashiro cautioned Itachi that he would not go unpunished if he betrayed the clan, before being violently attacked by Itachi. As Yashiro questioned Itachi about how he had changed since becoming an Anbu, Fugaku appeared and accosted Itachi for his actions. Fed up, the three men asked Fugaku to issue the order to arrest Itachi, but after Itachi apologised, Fugaku claimed that Itachi was simply worn out from his duties and the men left.
He was killed during the night of the Uchiha Massacre.
He's featured further in the Itachi Shinden Novels.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: In the Itachi Shinden Novels, cornered by Itachi during the night of the Uchiha Massacre, he begged for his own life and claimed he'd call off the coup against the village. Itachi was disgusted at how conceited enough he was to think he could call off the coup at his own discretion.
- Asshole Victim: In the Itachi Shinden Novels, he was the only victim of the Uchiha Massacre that Itachi outright tortured for his instigation of the coup and his cowardly nature. First, Itachi had the masked man appear before him to confirm he was being used as a pawn then Itachi used Tsukuyomi on him to mentally torture him then he was decapitated by Itachi's sword.
- Break the Haughty: He's the only victim of the Massacre that Itachi takes the time to torture before killing him, and Yashiro is broken down to the coward that he really is before his death.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Twice from Itachi. The first time, alongside Tekka and Inabi, when they question him about Shisui's suicide. Itachi defeats them solely with taijutsu. The second time, on the night of the massacre, Itachi outright tortures him with Tsukuyomi then slashes his head with his sword.
- Dirty Coward: In the Itachi Shinden Novels, he relayed the masked man's information to Fugaku to avoid taking any responsibilities for the clan's uprising himself, instead discreetly urging his leader to take action. Yashiro values his own life more than his clan's pride, as when Itachi killed his immediate family, he tried to flee and plead for mercy, going as far as to turn back on the coup he was so eager on.
- Eyes Always Shut: Except for when he uses the Sharingan.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan.
- Off with His Head!: How he meets his end in the Itachi Shinden Novels by Itachi.
- The Pawn: In the Itachi Shinden Novels, he was manipulated by the masked man to instigate the coup. On the night of the Uchiha Massacre, Yashiro tried to place the blame on the masked man, causing Itachi to reveal that the man was now helping him wipe out the Uchiha because the masked man was more interested in working with Itachi rather than "small fry".
- Small Name, Big Ego: He considered himself a major role in the coup, but didn't realize he was being manipulated by the masked man.
- Smug Super: He was appointed captain of the team assigned to capture the Third Hokage for the coup. An Anbu member Itachi was working with commented on how ridiculous this idea was.
- White Hair, Black Heart: He had white hair and was fairly antagonistic towards Itachi. Along with being a prime instigator for the coup.
Voiced by: Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (JP), Roger Craig Smith (EN)
Inabi Uchiha was a member of the Uchiha clan and the Konoha Military Police Force.
Alongside Yashiro and Tekka Uchiha, Inabi questioned Itachi Uchiha about his whereabouts during the time when Shisui Uchiha supposedly committed suicide. He told Itachi that they had all intention of duly investigating the matter and when they presented Shisui's alleged suicide note, he stated that for someone who wielded the Sharingan it would be no problem to forge such a note. They then left the note with Itachi telling him to ask the Anbu to investigate the matter as well. As the men left, they passed snide, suggestive comments about Itachi's involvement in the matter which Itachi took offence to and attacked them. Fed up with Itachi, the men asked Fugaku who had just arrived, to issue the order to arrest Itachi. However after Itachi apologised and Fugaku offered the excuse that Itachi was worn out from his other duties the men left
He was killed during the night of the Uchiha Massacre.
He's featured further in the Itachi Shinden Novels.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: He was particularly scolded by Itachi for being full of himself and overestimating himself.
- Boisterous Weakling: On several occasions he would confront Itachi at the clan meetings and during the investigation of Shisui's death, but he was never a match for Itachi. He is killed by Itachi before he was even able to react.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Twice from Itachi. The first time, alongside Tekka and Yashiro, when they question him about Shisui's suicide. Itachi defeats them solely with taijutsu. The second time, on the night of the massacre, Itachi slashes his head off before he can react.
- Hot-Blooded: Inabi was very straightforward, quick to shout and accuse Itachi of being a traitor.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan.
- Off with His Head!: How he meets his end in the Itachi Shinden Novels by Itachi.
- Playing with Fire: His last move against Itachi was to use a fire jutsu but he lost his head before casting it.
Voiced by: Kimiyoshi Kibe (JP), Henry Dittman (EN)
Tekka Uchiha was a Konohagakure shinobi from the Uchiha clan and an officer of the Konoha Military Police Force.
He, Inabi, and Yashiro questioned Itachi about the suicide note that was found with Shisui Uchiha. After presenting Itachi with the alleged suicide note that Shisui had written asking him to request that the Anbu investigate the matter as well. As the men began leaving, he warned Itachi not to hide anything as they also had connections within the Anbu. The men were then attacked by Itachi and fed up with him they asked Fugaku to issue the order for them to arrest him. However, after Itachi apologised and Fugaku offered up the excuse that Itachi had been worn out by his duties, the men left.
He was killed during the night of the Uchiha Massacre.
He's featured further in the Itachi Shinden Novels.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: He was particularly scolded by Itachi for being full of himself and overestimating himself against others.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Twice from Itachi. The first time, alongside Tekka and Inabi, when they question him about Shisui's suicide. Itachi defeats them solely with taijutsu. The second time, on the night of the massacre, Itachi stabs his stomach open.
- The Force Is Strong with This One: In the Itachi Shinden Novels, he was revealed to be a capable sensor ninja. He was able to notice that chakra was shaking all over the compound on the night of the massacre, but failed to act because Itachi and Madara were too quick for him.
- Gutted Like a Fish: In the Itachi Shinden Novels, he meets his end being stabbed in the stomach by Itachi's sword.
- Hypnotic Eyes: He attempted to use Sharingan genjutsu on Itachi, but was overpowered by the Mangekyo before being stabbed in the stomach.
- Magical Eye: The Sharingan.
- Super Senses: Tekka was a leading sharingan user and his ability to sense chakra was described as excellent.