The Carr Family
The Carr Family
Dr Phillip CarrDr Phillip Carr is the father of the Carr family and a renowned doctor, often having to travel away from home to treat his patients. It's implied that his wife died giving birth to his youngest son.
- Brutal Honesty: As a doctor, he never shies away from telling his children the truth. He warns Katy from the start that she must be prepared to stay in bed a long time when she injures herself.
- Determined Doctor: Dr Carr is often being called away to help various patients, no matter how far he might have to travel.
- Good Parents: A kind and loving father to his children. Dr Carr is also of the mind that children should be allowed to run about and enjoy themselves, even if that does result in bumps and scrapes.
- Not So Above It All: One time he ends up mincing across the room while mimicking how one of Katy's friends walked.
Aunt IzzieAunt Izzie is Dr Carr's sister. She joined the Carr household after the death of Mrs Carr so she could help raise the children.
Katherine "Katy" CarrKaty Carr is the eldest of the Carr children and is known for being bright, mischievous and incredibly 'wild'. She ends up bed-bound for four years following an accident when she was twelve years old and comes out the other end significantly calmer and more mature.
- Big Sister Instinct: Takes on the role as a second mother to her younger siblings after her mother's death. Is very protective and loving towards them, though it takes her a while to warm up to Elsie.
- Bookworm: Katy loves nothing more than spending her afternoons with her nose in a book. Her school friends have even learned to hide their books when Katy comes over, or she'll spend the entire time reading.
- Cool Big Sis: To the majority of her siblings. Dorry seems to go back and forth about it, especially when he's older.
- Daddy's Girl: While all of the Carr daughters love their father, Katy has a special bond with him and takes his word as law.
- Determinator: Katy is willful and stubborn and has a lot of grand ideas about what she wants to do with her life.
- Fatal Flaw: Katy has a quick temper when she's younger and it often got her into trouble. It was also what led to her having the accident that left her bed-bound for four years.
- Happily Married: To Ned at the start of Clover.
- Hot-Blooded: Katy is this before her accident, often getting into trouble or arguments with Aunt Izzie. She grows out of this when she's older.
- Ijust Want To Be Beautiful: Katy despairs about her plain looks, though the author reassures us that Katy grows up into quite the beauty.
- Ill Girl: Damages her back after falling off a swing from quite a height and is left bed-bound for four years. She appears to completely recover, though she doesn't seem as athletic as she was before, it could be because she's grown up and doesn't want to behave so 'childishly' anymore.
- Lethal Chef: By proxy. When Katy is overseeing the house from her bedroom, she gets the idea to serve all manner of 'nutritious' food to the household, which includes nothing but boiled rice for pudding. Naturally, the children rebel.
- Most Writers Are Writers: Katy writes lots of long and amazing stories in her youth, most of which she reads to her younger siblings.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Always known as Katy, rarely Katherine.
- Promotion to Parent: Katy's mother asked for her to become a second mother to her younger siblings shortly before she died.
- Proper Lady: Learns to become one while she's bed-bound. Some people remark that they're worried she's grown up too quickly, but Katy seems content to be the proper lady she's always wanted to be.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: When she's younger, Katy is very much the red oni to Clover's blue oni.
- Spirited Young Lady: Katy was very much this as a child, though she calms down when she gets married.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: While not quite as snarky as some examples, given the setting, Katy is very tall and dark-haired.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to both Clover and Cece's girly girl in her younger years.
Clover Carr is the second eldest of the Carr children. Sweet, kind and caring, Clover is very much the heart of the family. She takes on Katy's role as the lady of the household after her accident.
- Alliterative Name: Clover Carr.
- All-Loving Hero: There are very few people Clover doesn't adore, and she always wins around those who don't like her.
- Berserk Button: Clover is very rarely riled up, but don't insult Katy in front of her.
- The Caretaker: To some extent towards Katy when she's bed-bound. Clover also takes care of Phil when they're travelling to a resort so he can fully recover from his illness.
- The Cutie: Clover is small and sweet looking, even as an adult.
- Big Sister Instinct: Very kind and caring towards her younger siblings, and is especially close to Elsie and Phil.
- Girlish Pigtails: Wears these as a young girl.
- Nice Girl: Clover is sunny and kind and genuinely beloved by all.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Plays the blue oni to Katy's red oni when they're younger, but arguably plays the role of blue oni to Dorry and Phil as well.
- Spirited Young Lady: Clover rarely lets anything get her down for too long.
Elsie CarrElsie Carr is the third eldest of the Carr children and is initially known as being the odd one out as she's too young to play with her older sisters but too old to play with her younger siblings. She's quarrelsome and difficult as a child but is able to grow up well when she finds her role amongst her siblings.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Katy and Clover. Elsie desperately wants to play with them, but they consider her to be too little and just run away from her instead. Elsie is also prone to telling tales about Katy to aunt Izzie. She thankfully grows out of this.
- Black Sheep: Elsie feels this way as a child as she's at an awkward age that places her in the middle of the siblings, but she gets over this once she's older.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has a pet kitten as a child that she's often seen carrying around.
- Kissing Cousins: Ends up marrying her second cousin Clarence.
- Middle Child Syndrome: The source of Elsie's woes when she's younger.
- Speech Impediment: Elsie struggles to pronounce 'something' instead saying 'somefing'.
- Spoiled Brat; Shows very mild shades of this when she's younger but grows out of it when she finally gets the attention she wants from her older sisters.
Theodore "Dorry" CarrDorry Carr is the fourth eldest of the Carr children and is also the oldest son. Stout and pudgy in his youth, Dorry is a no-nonsense sort of boy who loves food and taking things apart to see how they work.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Dorry is quick to get upset when he's teased or things don't go his way, and is prone to running off and telling Aunt Izzie about Katy.
- Big Eater: Dorry loves to eat and it shows. He briefly kept a journal that only ever listed what he eats.
- Black Sheep: Ends up becoming this as an adult. The rest of the Carr siblings live together out in the plains of Colorado, while he marries and stays in the city.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The feminine boy to Johnnie's masculine girl when they're younger.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Dorry is never referred to as Theodore by his family. Johnnie even sounds surprised when Dorry's fiance Imogen calls him by his full name, remarking that no-one calls him that. Imogen, however, insists on it, stating that Dorry is a childish name for a grown man.
- Only Sane Man: Dorry is quite serious and plain as an adult, especially when compared to his siblings.
Joanna "Johnnie" CarrJohnnie Carr is the second youngest Carr child and is a very much a tomboy. She's a bright and happy child and grows up to become a staggeringly beautiful adult.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The masculine girl to Dorry's feminine boy when they're children.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Hardly anyone calls her Joanna.
- She Is All Grown Up: A grown-up Johnnie is incredibly beautiful, and to Dr Carr's concern, is sought after by all manner of young gentlemen.
- Tomboy: As a child. Johnnie is even described as looking like a boy who had put his sister's dress on for a laugh.