This is the character sheet of Karakuri Circus
Beware of inherent spoiler tropes!
Voiced by: Rikiya KoyamaA martial artist with Zonapha syndrome.
- All-Loving Hero: He wanted to save everyone, even when his head told him not to.
- Artificial Limbs: Received one for his left hand after his Heroic Sacrifice to save Masaru. After that, his remaining limbs replaced by the limbs of his allies' destroyed puppets during the battle of Sahara.
- Alternate Character Reading: His name Narumi (鸣海）is pronounced as Ming-Hai during his tenure in China which is the Chinese pronunciation of his name's Kanji Character.
- Ass-Kicking Pose: He always start with Xing Yi Quan's Santishi pose before beating the crap of his opponents.
- Badass Normal: In the beginning of the series, he was able to go toe-to-toe with puppet masters despite being a normal human, without any weapons. Worth noting that despite becoming an Empowered Badass Normal later on, he still fights the same way.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: He is a master of qigong and Real Life Chinese martial arts, Xing Yi Quan
- Big Brother Instinct: His basic characteristic. He will do anything to protect anyone, stranger or not.
- Big Damn Kiss: With Eleanor in the final volume. The entire scene is made to look exactly like a wedding, and there's even a pastor to witness it.
- Berserk Button: Hurt an innocent and you will taste his wrath.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: His replacement left arm contained this.
- Character Development: In the early part of the series, he is a Hot-Blooded young man with Face of a Thug but a Gentle Giant person. This changed after his visit a hospital that housed the Zonapha Syndrome patient where he became a Knight In Sour Armor. This became worse after the Battle of Sahara where he ended up so burdened by Survivor Guilt that he became a cold person like Eleanor in the early of the series. He changed back to his early persona when Masaru gave him a Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! speech after their Back-to-Back Badasses moment.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: He wants to save everyone after he witnessed the horror of Zonapha Syndrome in the first part. This is one of the reasons that contribute his Heroic BSoD after the battle in Sahara Desert.
- Determinator: Nothing will stop Narumi, not even death, or losing his arm.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Easy Amnesia: After he sacrificed himself to save Masaru, he lost most of his memories with him and Shirogane.
- Face of a Thug: He looks pretty scary, which doesn't help at all for his survival since he has to make people laugh, and who could laugh at a face like that?
- Friend to All Children: Hurting a child is a good way to push his Berserk Button.
- Gentle Giant: He towers many people, he is big and muscular, but he is a kind man who fights for children and the weak.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Gives an epic one to Masaru during their first meeting.Masaru: (cried) I should have died alone instead of dragging you into this.
Narumi: (gives an Armor-Piercing Slap) Don't give up! This isn't your fault! You didn't do anything wrong! If you need help, shout for help! If you're angry, speak out! Fight, struggle, do what you can. If all else fails, I guess all you can do then is smile.
- Heroic BSoD: His reaction after learning that the Francine puppet in the Sahara was a Body Double, making all of Shirogane's sacrifice All for Nothing.
- Heroic RRoD: During the battle of Sahara where he fell unconscious and his limb start to crystallize due to excessive blood lost after saving every Shirogane from their Death Trap
- The Last of His Kind: He is the last Shirogane to be created the traditional way and by the end of the series, is one of the last that are still alive.
- Megaton Punch: Like Real Life movesets of Xing Yi Quan, his attack consist of well place power shots that can knock down men and Automatons in one hit. In fact, most Automata blow up from the inside once he hits them.
- Nice Guy: A bit rough around the edge, but it didn't take long for most people to know what kind of a man he is.
- No Sense of Humor: Unfortunately for him, the only way to stop his Incurable Cough of Death is to make other people laugh, and he really sucks at it.
- Survivor Guilt: After the battle of Sahara.
- Tragic Keepsake: His Artifical Limb from his fallen comrade's puppet during the battle of Sahara. This is why he refused to change it even though Fou offered him a set of more natural looking prosthetic limbs.
Voiced by: Chihiro UedaThe heir to the Saiga business empire.
- All-Loving Hero: Is Masaru even capable of hating people anymore? Sure, he gets mad, but Jesus did too. Plus he forgives a man who nearly got everyone he knew (a small group, but still) killed for the sake of money...and then saves his life. For two different men like that.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Able to control Arlequin by looking and copying Shirogane's movements. He also gave Ashihana instructions on how to utilize his puppet's secret weapons to get out a sticky situation by simply looking at the said puppet. After viewing the memory of his grandfather and the Big Bad, he even knows how to dismantle the moving Automatons because he knew their every structure and assembly points. In fact, he is the first one that recognized the Big Bad in disguise during his interrogation in Kuroga village.
- Character Development: From a kid that only knows how to cry to the hero that can fight toe to toe with the series Big Bad.
- Child Prodigy: He can control puppets simply by copying what Shirogane did. He also able to use Saiga Souji's sword technique after having a glimpse of the latter's memory.
- The Chessmaster: His scheming and planning can give the series Big Bad a run for his money albeit the heroic version one.
- Covered in Scars: In a strong case of Reality Ensues, one's body does not magically heal up in short time from severe, life-threatening wounds. Masaru's bullies and classmates find out the hard way that he wasn't "on a vacation", as his entire body was wracked with rugged cuts and bruises from his fairly-recent battles.
- Green-Eyed Monster: An interesting variation when Guy came along. He acted like a jealous suitor over Eleanor, but he was doing it on behalf of Narumi.
- Heroic Bastard: One of the main reason people in the Saiga clans don't want him to get all the money.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In the final volume, he realizes that he loves Eleanor romantically but decides to not do anything about it because Eleanor is in love with Narumi and Masaru just wants her to be happy. In fact, it's this attitude that distinguishes him from the Big Bad.
- Marionette Master: Thanks to his father Mind Transfer trick gone wrong, he inherited every combat skill from his father who is also a Marionette Master himself. He has 3 types of puppet under his disposal.
- Goel Emeth: The Mighty Glacier type puppet that utilizes rocket powered Megaton Punch
- Captain Nemo: The Fragile Speedster type puppet that uses sword. It is also equipped with propeller on its legs to fight on the water.
- Jack O'Lantern: The Jack-of-All-Stats type puppet that fight with Sinister Scythe. It also equipped with missle laucher and can launch sticky substance to stop enemy's movement. It also have ability to fly.
- Master Swordsman: Thanks to the memory of Saiga Souji.
- Meaningful Name: His name Masaru (勝）is means victory in Japanese. Sadayoshi reveals that he names his kid Masaru because he likes to be a winner. This is the time where he showed his true color to Souji.
Voiced by: Megumi HayashibaraMasaru's bodyguard and a puppetmaster.
- Action Girl: Has been trained her entire life to be a perfect puppetmaster.
- Battle Couple: With Narumi, before he disappeared in the explosion and believed to be death.
- Big Damn Kiss: With Narumi in the final volume. The entire scene is made to look exactly like a wedding, and there's even a pastor to witness it.
- Character Development: From the Ice Queen in the early of the series to the Defrosting Ice Queen after meeting with Narumi.
- Contortionist: One of her signature skills. Aside useful in her circus performance, she can also use it to escape Bound and Gagged situations.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Towards Narumi at the beginning, but quickly became fond of him.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Luke, I Am Your Father: She is Souji Saiga's real daughter, which made her Masaru's aunt. Neither of them knew this.
- Love Martyr: She is willing to die by Narumi's hand to ease his Survivor Guilt.
- Mama Bear: She will protect Masaru no matter what.
- Marionette Master: As per Shirogane's tradition. She was trained as puppeteer to combat with automatas.
- Really 700 Years Old: Actually 91 year-old since Shiroganes age 5 times slower than humans.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She looked exactly like her mother Angelina.
- Tsundere : Only towards Narumi. She was even called as such by him repeatedly in another work from the author.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: She looked exactly like her great-grandaunt Francine.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Growing up as a Shirogane leaves her somewhat emotionally stunted, and only started feeling romantic love when she met Narumi.
Sadayoshi SaigaMasaru's father.
Voiced by: Yoshino NanjoDaughter of Liang Jian-Feng. A martial artist that aspire to become an actress.
Voiced by: Katsuhisa HoukiNarumi's Martial arts master in China. Liang Ming-Xia's father.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: He is a practitioner of Xing Yi Quan.
- Go Out with a Smile: He is smiling during his Heroic Sacrifice to stop Pantalone for getting the Aqua Vitae water stream.
- Old Master: He is Narumi's Martial arts master and it shows. He can beat enhanced speed automaton without breaking a sweat while having the Zonapha Syndrome. Even Pantalone has trouble landing a hit on him.
- Eye Colour Change: All Shiroganes have silver eyes due to side effects of Aqua Vitae.
- Healing Factor: Shiroganes can regenerate their wounds as long as they didn't suffer excessive blood loss, decapitation or being drop 30000 ft from a plane.
- Ill Girl: They were usually, if not all, Zonapha victims until they accepted the offer to become a Shirogane.
- Marionette Master: All Shiroganes have their own weaponized puppet to combat the Automata.
- Meaningful Name: Shirogane (白銀) means silver in Japanese. They share the same Kanji character with its creator's name Bai Yin(白銀), which also means silver but in Chinese.
- Really 700 Years Old: They aged 5 times slower than a normal human.
- Red Shirt Army: All, yes, all of them died in the final battle against the Midnight Circus except Guy, who was unable to participate, and a member of the enhanced Shirogane.
- Taken for Granite: Shirogane that died from excessive blood loss will crystallize and shatter.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: All Shirogane have silver hair. Apparently, this is a side effect of the Aqua Vitae.
Voiced by: Romi ParkThe very first Shirogane.
Voiced by: Nozomu SasakiA powerful Shirogane with a huge mother-complex.
- Happily Adopted: By Angelina and her influence on him continued until this day despite their short time together.
- More Dakka: His puppet Olympia is equipped with machine guns and Gatling guns for air combat.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: His puppet Olympia has 4 arms, plus 2 arms on its wings that are equipped with blades. Its normal 4 arms are also equipped with syringes that can be used to drain out Automata's artificial body fluid.
- Parental Substitute: For Eleanor in her parents' place. His final moments saying goodbye to Narumi and Shirogane was also compared to that of a father who gave away the bride.
- Pietà Plagiarism: He died with his puppet, Olympia, holding him in its arm with this tropes. The chapter title itself also named Pietà.
- Red Baron: Olympia's Lover, the 200 Automaton Destroyer. Because he destroyed 200 Automatons in one night during the event of the attack on Angelina after giving birth to her daughter Eleanor.
- The Stoic: He seems unfazed with everything that happens around him. But as later Narumi and Masaru found out, this is not the case.
- Trickster Mentor: To Narumi, later to Masaru.
- Troll: He showed this tendency when he personally trained Masaru
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Narumi.
FouThe narrator of the story.
- Arbitrarily Large Bank Account: Stated that 30 percent of the wealth in the world belongs to him. He is the reason why the Shirogane Organization does not need to worry about funding because he is the one that finances them.
Francine (The Puppet)
Voiced by: Megumi HayashibaraThe queen of the Midnight Circus who wished to be able to smile since she believed that would bring her master back.
- Body Double: The Francine at the circus during the Sahara battle was a fake. The real Puppet!Francine has been gone for 90 years.
- Emotionless Girl: Justified because since she was the very first automaton to have true sentience, she wasn't as completed as others after her. She finally gains her first and final smile thanks to baby Eleanor.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In her final moments before completely melting away, she used every ounce of her strength to protect baby Eleanor.
- Mama Bear: For Eleanor, even while dying, she still used all her remaining strength to save the baby.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: Due to the actions of her creator, and the psychotic automatons made to serve her, many believed she was the most evil of the automatons, but in actuality, she was never truly evil, to begin with.
- Replacement Goldfish: Bai Jin created her as a replacement for the original Francine, and since she couldn't accomplish it, everything went to hell.
- Undying Loyalty: Invoked. Due to her nature as an automaton, she is loyal to her creator and his desire for "Francine's smile" to the point that her creation of the Circus was just for the sake of fulfilling that wish. In a similar vein, her subjects are also extremely loyal to her that just even (falsely) saying that they reject her will cause their immediate death. Their loyalty also extends to Eleanor, either due to their identical appearances or because some parts of Puppet!Francine still remain within Eleanor.
Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama
- Died Happily Ever After: He dies with Pantalon, having finally fulfilled their entire reason for existing: to make "Francine" smile.
- Instrumental Weapon: His mandolin has a hidden sword in it. He also can generate sonic shockwave with it.
- Kill It with Fire: He is equipped with a Flame Thrower in his hand.
- Undying Loyalty: To Puppet!Francine, and by extension, Eleanor.
- Worthy Opponent: Views Narumi as one.
- Blow You Away: He can launch high-pressure air blasts from his hand, that acts like bullets.
- Died Happily Ever After: He dies with Arlequino, having finally fulfilled their entire reason for existing: to make "Francine" smile.
- Smug Super: He is the most arrogant of the bunch, which makes his Villainous Breakdown during the Battle of Sahara even more satisfying to watch.
- Undying Loyalty: To Puppet!Francine, and by extension, Eleanor.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Narumi kick his ass without breaking a sweat. This is the first time that the human that he looked down upon besting him in direct combat.
Voiced by: Aoi Yuuki
- Died Happily Ever After: She dies in the arms of a man she likes after sacrificing herself to protect him.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Her second form after Faceless resurrected her.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Columbine is fascinated by human romance novels and wishes that one day, she will be held in the arms of the man she loves just like in those stories.
- Undying Loyalty: To Puppet!Francine, and by extension, Eleanor.
Voiced by: Ryuzaburo Otomo
Voiced by: Megumi HayashibaraThe daughter of Lucille and the one of the first Shiroganes.
- Broken Bird: The first time we saw her as an adult, she was already very broken.
- Happily Married: With Souji.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: She is Eleanor's mother.
- Mama Bear: She will protect her family at all cost.
- Pregnant Badass: Beat Guy while in late-term pregnancy.
- Walking Spoiler: Almost any mention of her will lead to some kinds of spoiler.
- All-Loving Hero: You can say that he is like an older, wiser version of Narumi.
- Happily Married: With Angelina for many, many years until her death. He never remarried after that.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He is the father of Eleanor.
- Master Swordsman: The master of the Miura-Ryu sword technique.
- Nice Guy: The reason why Angelina fell in love with him.
- Panicky Expectant Father: So much that he fainted right in the middle of the birth.
- Papa Wolf: He would even sacrifice himself to save some strangers. And would stop at nothing to protect his daughter Eleanor even if it meant he couldn't be with her as her father.
- People Jars: His state when Masaru meet him again.
- Silver Fox: He looked like a normal old man when we first saw him, but once his arc got to the middle of it, you can definitely say that he looked really good for his age.
Voiced by: Tomokazu SekiThe older brother of Bai Jin, the creator of all Shiroganes, and the husband of Francine.
- Big Brother Instinct: He doted on his little brother, which could explain the latter's personality.
- Driven to Suicide: Dissolved himself to create the Aqua Vitae that would turn humans into Shiroganes.
- Identical Stranger: Looks exactly like Narumi.
- Meaningful Name: His name Bai Yin (白銀) is silver in Chinese, which also shares the same kanji characters with Shirogane in Japanese. He learn the Japanese term during his time with young Souji Saiga.
- The Mentor: For Souji.
Bai Jin/Dean Maister/Sadayoshi Saiga/Commander Faceless
Voiced by: Toshio FurukawaThe younger brother of Bai Yin.
- Big Bad: The real Big Bad of the story.
- The Chessmaster
- Determinator: The dark version of this. He believed he could achieve his dream to be together with Francine or their lookalike with his own sheer willpower, no matter how long time it would take.Masaru: He is like a black sun, a black sun that will not stop until it consumes everything in its path
- For the Evulz: He saved Arlequino, Pantalon, and Columbine just to see their faces when they knew their mistress has been dead all along.
- Heel Realization: Thanks to Masaru, he finally understands that just because he loves someone doesn't mean that person has to love him back, and he has no rights to force someone else to love him.
- It's All About Me: He saw nothing evil about his actions, they were simply to get what he wanted. His brother's already married Francine? Nope, that wasn't right, he loved Francine first so she must be his wife, not Yin's.
- Love Makes You Evil: He was already quite selfish before, but once Francine agreed to marry his brother, he snapped.
- Meaningful Name: His name Bai Jin(白金) is literally "white gold" in Chinese, which is also known as platinum.
- Psychopathic Manchild: He acted like a spoiled child when he cannot get anything he wanted including the woman he loved. He also views everything like a toy that can be discarded when he felt bored of it.
- Would Hit a Girl: Kidnapped Francine, and when she tried to run back to her husband, he beat her up until her face was unrecognizable.
- Yandere: Francine was his and his all alone. She married his brother? Kidnapped her! She's dead? Oh well, he would make another. That failed? Well, there was her grandniece, Angelina. She's married? Damn, at least, she had a daughter named Eleanor.
Francine (The Original)
Voiced by: Megumi HayashibaraA poor woman with the heart and beauty of an angel. She was married to Bai Yin for only a single day before she got kidnapped by Bai Jin.
- All-Loving Hero: She raised orphans and gave the poor food while she herself was starving. She was so kind and loving that the people in the slum ended calling her lady Francine out of pure respect.
- Defiled Forever: She lived with Jin against her will (at least at first) for 9 years, and whether she actually had sexual contacts with him during those years or not, she still considered herself this trope (which is hardly strange for such a virtuous woman in that time period).
- Driven to Suicide: She has become something of a Death Seeker during her 9 years kidnap due to thinking that she is Defiled Forever and didn't deserve her husband anymore. The only reason she didn't kill herself immediately was her wish to see Yin again. When he finally came and promised to give her a longer life, she burned herself to death. There is also the possibility that she wanted to prevent her illness from spreading to the villagers.
- Friend to All Children: She adopted orphans and raised them as her own.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Too good and pure that even a crime of kidnapping her, abusing her for 9 years still wasn't enough for her to hate Jin.