The story follows disgraced defense attorney turned private eye Takayuki Yagami as he finds himself thrust into another grisly mystery: Akihiro Ehara, a defendant represented by Yagami's old lawyer agency, suddenly admits to having knowledge of the murder of Hiro Mikoshiba, a yakuza who had managed to evade justice for driving Ehara's son to suicide. As the cracks in the Japanese criminal justice system are laid bare, Yagami must get to the bottom of this ghastly case. The stakes, however, have never been higher, as the pursuit for the truth may lead him towards an uncertain fate...
As with the previous game, Lost Judgment mixes a hard-hitting crime drama story with an equally hard-hitting combat system as Yagami employs a variety of fighting styles to fend off his enemies. This time, however, the hunt for the truth will take Yagami beyond the familiar haunts of Kamurocho to the coastal city of Ijincho, Yokohama — the famous setting for Yakuza: Like a Dragon. As always, a number of side-quests and minigames will also be thrown into the mix to provide levity and fun to the proceedings, with Yagami partaking in boxing, skateboarding, dance-offs, and even going undercover in a high school.
Lost Judgment contains examples of:
- Canine Companion: Previews show that Yagami now has a Shiba that can help him out in cases as well as in combat.
- Driven to Suicide: Akihiro Ehara claims that this happened to his son in the Announcement trailer.
- Game Within a Game: As part of Sonic the Hedgehog's 30th anniversary, Sonic the Fighters will be available for play in arcades.
- Le Parkour: New to this game, Yagami can now scale buildings and rooftops to proceed forward, as shown in the gameplay trailer.
- Malevolent Masked Man: The Announcement Trailer shows Yagami being attacked by one, possibly sent by the Yokohama Liumang.
- Market-Based Title: Subverted from the first game, which was called JUDGE EYES in Japan. Lost Judgment will be the game's title in all regions, albeit with a subtitle in Japanese.
- Next Sunday A.D.: The game takes place in December 2021, a few months after the game's release date.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Higashi, Sugiura, Tsukumo, and Saori are in the game's opening credits sequence, after being absent from the first game's opening.
- Snuff Film: The announcement trailer shows that Mikoshiba's murder is leaked onto the internet and goes viral on social media.
- Stance System: Once again, Yagami can switch between fighting styles, with the crowd control-based Crane style and the single-target bashing Tiger returning from the first game. As shown in the gameplay trailer, a new style called "Snake" is also added to the mix, which focuses on Counter-Attacks.
- Tonight, Someone Dies: The announcement trailer heavily implies that someone dear to Yagami ends up dying along the way. The trailer, however, keeps in the dark on who exactly this person is.