Emilia Camp (Subaru Natsuki) | Priscilla Camp | Crusch Camp | Anastasia Camp | Witch Cult | Witches of Sin | Other Characters | Historical Characters
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Japanese), Todd Haberkorn (English)
Fingers voiced by: Yoko Hikasa (woman), Hiroshi Yanaka (Ketty), Hisako Kanemoto (girl), Nobuo Tobita (middle aged man), Yuusuke Kobayashi (Subaru)
The Archbishop of Sloth.
- Accidental Murder: Because of Pandora's illusion magic, Petelgeuse accidentally killed Fortuna, the woman he loved, which sealed his descent into madness.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: He loves to play with words in his rants, though it varies depending on the situation. Sometimes he uses common alliteration and other times he repeats a particular subject and uses various adjectives of similar meaning to describe it.
- Arc Villain: Of the third arc of the series.
- Ax-Crazy: He is so insane that he makes Elsa look like a kitty. His way of talking doesn't help this at all. Made all the more horrifying in that Tappei Nagatsuki stated that he's the nicest of all the archbishops. Let that sink in for a moment...
- Bad Boss: Upon hearing that his minions have failed to kill Rem, he grabs one of them and wildly beats them to a pulp. When Rem does show up, he is completely unfazed by his men being slaughtered and even giggles with joy at the sight.
- Big-Bad Ensemble: During the third arc along with the White Whale.
- Body Surf: Petelgeuse has an ability that lets him possess the bodies of compatible people in the vicinity every time his current body is killed. Unfortunately, this includes Subaru.
- Catchphrase:"You are truly... slothful.""My brain trembles!"
- Character Tics: Violently biting his own fingers when frustrated.
- Chewing the Scenery: Very unusual for Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, who plays Petelgeuse by hamming it up sky high and belting all of his lines to maximum dramatic effect.
- Dark Is Evil: Dresses in the dark cultist robes, has sickly green hair and pale skin with crazed eyes.
- Defiant to the End: Even while being killed by Pack, he keeps talking back to the spirit.
- Disc-One Final Boss: He is the final antagonist of the anime and the late volumes of the light novels, but is clear that even when he was defeated, the stuff with the Witch Cult has just started.
- Evil Former Friend: Long ago, he was a close father figure to Emilia until he went insane as a result of absorbing the Authority of Sloth and killed her aunt Fortuna.
- Evil Is Hammy: To put is simply, Petelgeuse make both Roswaal and Subaru look tame in comparison in acting larger than life.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka will often put on a more deeper voice for Petelgeuse compared to his usual characters. Though he reverts back to the usual pitch whenever he's yelling and screaming.
- Expy: His similarities to Fate/Zero's Caster have been noticed, from his insane axe crazy behavior, to his usage of Dark magic that take the form of shadowy hands, to having an intense obsession with a female character from the past (Caster with Jeanne D'Arc and Petelgeuse with Satella).
- Femme Fatalons: Male example; he has long, sharp red nails.
- Frontline General: He is always at the forefront of battle, because it doesn't matter if his host body is killed, so long as one of his followers or someone with the witch's scent is in the same area, he will survive through body possession.
- Glass Cannon: He is capable of killing anyone no matter how tough their body is, so long as his Unseen Hands can grab them. However, his body and and the bodies of the followers he can possess are otherwise normal and can be easily killed, provided his opponent can avoid being killed long enough to get into range.
- His Own Worst Enemy: Because of the nature of his powers, Petelguese has the potential to become a nearly-unstoppable assassin. However, his hammy mannerisms make it obvious where he is and who he is possessing which will make his opponent's wary of his presence.
- In-Series Nickname: Geuse.
- Invisible to Normals: His Unseen Hand ability, which allows him to spawn deadly appendages that are invisible to most people.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Oh wouldn't you believe◊ it. Crosses over into Beauty = Goodness as well, since he was nothing short of a pleasant and kind man back then.
- Knight of Cerebus: His presence in story takes the story from a somewhat dark series to a truly dark and depressing tale on par with Berserk.
- Laughably Evil: If it wasn't for the sheer eeriness of the setting and Petelgeuse's monstrous actions, he could fit right into a comedy act.
- Lecherous Licking: Licks Subaru's eye at one point, showing just how disturbing and unhinged he can be.
- Love Freak: He can't go more than a few words without mentioning love. And when he gets Subaru's body, he goes on a non-stop rant about the different types of love. May be a case of Love Makes You Crazy.
- Madness Mantra: Has a habit of repeating the same words in the same sentence, be it about slothfulness, love... anything, really.
- Motor Mouth: He frequently launches into lengthy, hysterical raves, often commenting on nonsensical observations and musings.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has this reaction after he kills his lover Fortuna after Pandora tricks him with illusions.
- My Nayme Is: When Subaru taught his friends stories about stars, only Emilia mispronounced Petelgeuse as Betelgeuse. How this is relevant to the plot is unknown yet.
- Nightmare Face: His default expression, with an Slasher Smile included.
- No Indoor Voice: As expected of an Ax-Crazy hammy psychopath, he screams many of his dialogue at the top of his voice.
- Not Quite Flight: He can use Unseen Hand to move across the sky. Those who can't see his hands will only see a weird man flying, all balled up.
- Parental Substitute: Turns out he was a kind father figure to Emilia before he went insane.
- Personality Powers: He is the Archbishop of Sloth and his sin is manifested in his powers. His Unseen Hands allows him to tear people apart with invisible hands without moving his body and his body possession power causes people with the same taint to lose control of their bodies, allowing him to take over.
- Power Limiter: Petelgeuse's Fingers. With each dead, he gains access to more hands and power.
- Pre-Insanity Reveal: Echidna's trials reveal in the past Petelgeuse was a well adjusted father figure to Emilia that was in love with her aunt Fortuna. However, absorbing the Authority of Sloth negatively affected his sanity as well the death of Fortuna by his hands finally drove him insane.
- Puzzle Boss: He isn't as powerful or intelligent as the other Archbishops of Sin, but his powers are subtle and confusing to the uninitiated. He will more likely kill his opponents before they figure them out.
- Say My Name: Says this to Subaru right before he gets killed by him.
- Secondary Color Nemesis: His skin and hair are green, while he is fond of dressing in purple.
- Self-Harm: To demonstrate how off-hinged he is, he has a habit of violently biting his own fingers when agitated or excited.
- Shaped Like Itself: His idea of repaying love is to repay it with love."Love! We must repay love with love!"
- Signature Move: His Unseen Hand ability, which is normally invisible to the naked eye. True to his sloth title, Petelgeuse barely needs to move to use this on a target.
- Slasher Smile: He is always seen smiling creepily, with a crazed look in his eyes.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The official name for Betelgeuse is spelled with a P, while the pronunciation and namesake are Betelgeuse. As a result, most, if not all dub refer to him as Betelgeuse. It might be intentionally done.
- Spock Speak: His hamminess doesn't make him any less well-spoken.
- Stellar Name: Petelgeuse refers to the Betelgeuse star, aka Alpha Orionis, the second-brightest in the constellation of Orion.
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: Betelgeuse means "Orion's hand" in Arabic, possibly referring to Petelgeuse's authority.
- Token Good Teammate: Downplayed. Petelgeuse is explicitly stated by Word of God to be the nicest of all the Archbishops.
- Verbal Tic: Expect him to bombastically drop "DESU!" from time to time.
- Villainous Breakdown: He falls into even greater insanity and panic when Subaru and his allies gain the upper hand, leading up to his ultimate defeat.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Before Petelgeuse received the Authority of Sloth, he used to be a kindly father figure to Emilia as well as the one who protected her and her aunt.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has dark green hair.
- Your Answer to Everything: Love, especially when he is possessing Subaru.
- Zerg Rush: He exploits the nature of his powers by throwing large masses of his followers at his enemies. The fighters are too distracted by the cultists to worry about his Unseen Hands killing key fighters on the field and he can't be killed as long as his followers or someone with the witch's scent is in the area.
The Archbishop of Greed.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: He wants to force Emilia to marry him and make her his 79th wife.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Crusch dares to be rude enough to interrupt him when he's talking? Gotta cut her arm off!
- Motor Mouth: He never shuts up, and likes to go on rants about his "rights" and how he hates to have things taken away from him.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Regulus can freeze the time of his body to make it completely indestructible. The only problem with this power is that it stops his heartbeat as well. However, he has another ability named "Lions Heart" that allows him to impose his heart on someone else, effectively "hiding" it, while burrowing that target's functional heart to keep him alive even when he freezes his own time.
- Stellar Name: His name refers to the Regulus star, the brightest star in the Leo constellation.
- Time Master: His "Time Stop" ability allows him to freeze the time of his body and any object he touches, making it impossible to be destroyed, and allowing it to pass through almost anything and destroy it without resistance.
- Unskilled, but Strong: He's less skilled than even Subaru, but wins his fights because he's functionally invincible.
- White Hair, Black Heart: He has white hair and he's an Archbishop of the Witch Cult.
Rai / Ley BatenkaitosOne of the 3 Archbishops of Gluttony. He governs the Gourmet aspect of gluttony.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: He has a pair of blades attached to the back of his hands.
- Evil Is Hammy: Much like Petelgeuse, Ley has the time of his life when expressing his joy over finding names from which he can feast on.
- Flash Step: Seems one of the effects of Lunar Eclipse.
- Hero Killer: He is the one who ate Rem's memories and name, leaving her in a coma with no one but Subaru remembering her.
- I Know Your True Name: Like other two he can't eat fake names; he needs to know his opponent's real name for his Authority of Gluttony to take effect.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: He has shark teeth.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His hair covers half of his face.
- Power Copying: Can use the abilities and techniques of anyone he's eaten, except unless it's Spirit User or a Divine Protection.
- Rapunzel Hair: He has very long hair that extends past his thighs.
- Stellar Name: Batenkaitos is the traditional name for the star Zeta Ceti, which is part of the constellation Cetus.
The Archbishop of Wrath.
- Bandaged Face: Sirius' head is covered in disorderly wrapped bandages except for her eyes.
- Chained by Fashion: She has long, distorted chains around both of her arms with ends that drag along the floor.
- Emotion Bomb: Sirius can share or transmit her emotions and senses to others. After polarizing emotions such as anger or sorrow, she can transmit it to any people in their vicinity, either taking control of them or resonating a certain emotion between a certain amount of people to raise it to the point of madness.
- Gender-Blender Name: Sirius is a male name, but here it's given to a woman.
- Love Freak: Like Petelgeuse.
- Playing with Fire: Can convert her chains into pure fire and is a master of fire magic in general.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest: She's Petelgeuse self-proclaimed wife. Emphasis on "self-proclaimed".
- Stellar Name: Her name refers to the Sirius star, which is part of the Canis Major constellation and also the brightest star in the Earth's night sky.
- Synchronization: Since she can share senses such as distress or pain, if anyone dies within the effect area she can force others within the same area to die the same way. Also if she hurt the damage will transfer to anyone she connected with while reducing hers unless exceeds a certain threshold.
Capella Emerada Lugunica
The Archbishop of Lust.
- Combat Tentacles: She's shown to be able to transform her arms into snakes.
- Bloody Murder: Does this to Subaru and Crusch with she transform parts of her body into lethal black dragon blood.
- Dragons Are Demonic: Transforms into a Jet Black Dragon.
- Narcissist: Believes all the love and respect in the world exist to be hers, and will change her appearance to make others love her.
- Healing Factor: Can near instantly recover from any wound no matter how big due to her ability to transform them into being whole again. She can even survive a fall from a terminal height.
- Kill It with Fire: In her dragon transformation she can expel out black flames with her dragon breath which consumes anything it touches and aren't affected by water.
- Sadist: Unlike any of the other Archbishops, Capella is not insane and just enjoys inflicting pain onto others.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: She takes tons of severe fatal damages throughout her fights which range anywhere from getting her head caved in and her heart being stabbed to completely being smashed to pieces. Despite that she not fazed by any of it and even seems to feel no pain thanks the extreme regenerative power of her Authority.
- Off with His Head!: Or hers in this case, during her fight with Al. To his horror it does nothing but amuse her.
- Stellar Name: Her name refers to the Capella star, which is the brightest star in the Auriga constellation.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: She can transform herself into any form she desires.
- She can also do this to anyone else.
Roi / Roy AlphardOne of the 3 Archbishops of Gluttony. He governs the Bizarre Eating aspect of Gluttony.
- Dual Wielding: Fights using two claws.
- Flash Step: Like Ley, he can also use Lunar Eclipse.
- I Know Your True Name: Like other two he can't eat fake names; he needs to know his opponent's real name for his Authority of Gluttony to take effect.
- Power Copying: Like Ley use the abilities and techniques of anyone he's eaten, except unless it's Spirit User or a Divine Protection.
- Stellar Name: Roy's last name is a reference to the star Alphard, which is the brightest star in the Hydra Constellation.
Rui / Louis Arneb
One of the 3 Archbishops of Gluttony. She governs the Satiation aspect of Gluttony.
- Flash Step: Like Ley, she can also use Lunar Eclipse.
- I Know Your True Name: Like other two she can't eat fake names; she needs to know his opponent's real name for her Authority of Gluttony to take effect.
- Power Copying: Like Ley can use the abilities and techniques of anyone she's eaten, except unless it's Spirit User or a Divine Protection.
- Rapunzel Hair: Described as something like a golden sea, her hair even longer than her siblings to the point where stretches all over the floor and beyond.
- Stellar Name: Louis's last name is also another name for the star Alpha Leporis, which is the brightest star in the Lepus constellation.
Currently vacant and whereabouts is unknown. Petelgeuse speculates it might be Subaru, with several other characters furthering this theory, due to him having an extremely thick Witch's miasma surrounding him as well as being able to subvert scripture of the Witch Cult's Gospel. In addition, Shaula notes that he has three "keys", which are implied to be Authorities, despite having Subaru having slain only two Archbishops at that point, with Return by Death alluded to be the Authority of Pride. In addition to this, an alternate If route written by the Author has Subaru join the Witch Cult and has him become the Archbishop of Pride, though it is unknown if he truly is the Archbishop or is just taking the title.