Navi: Blatant stupidity!
Rauru: Sexual innuendo!
Sheik: Generic female voice!
Navi: Something about muffins!
The Legend of Zelda series is one of the more popular sources for material for Abridged Series on YouTube. For example, adamwestslapdog has already finished an abridged series based on Ocarina of Time, and is currently working on one for Majora's Mask. xanauzumaki has already completed abridged series for three Zelda games, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, currently working on an original animation sequel to the Majora's Mask series. And tauberpa has abridged Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and is just now working on a remake of Wind Waker. Just like other abridged series, these point out weird plot-points of the original work and add some pop-culture references as well.
adamwestslapdog's version provides examples of the following tropes:
- Accidental Misnaming:
- Tatl is not happy with being called "Navi".
- Ingo and Talon say they aren't Luigi and Mario... but they are in the flashback...
- Aliens Steal Cattle: In Majora's Mask. The cow is Earth's most precious resource.
- All Women Love Shoes: Navi has some despite having no feet at all.
- Already Met Everyone:Link: Hey, are all you sages just gonna turn out to be all the people I met as a kid?
Princess Ruto: Yeah, probably.
- Already Undone for You: Lampshaded in the Fire Temple and averted in the Forest Temple.
- Anti-Villain: Ganondorf at first; he just committed crimes in order to avoid guards getting released. He only actually starts being malevolent when he believes he had truly become evil after injuring Link with a glow-in-the-dark baseball, and found out he was related to Richard Nixon.
- Apocalypse How: The Halloween special ends with the possessed Skull-Kid destroying the world. Then recovering to find himself to be all alone.
- Armor Is Useless: Well, Link's fireproof suit is useless, since he just painted it red to camouflage him from the flames.
- Artifact of Doom:
- Majora's Mask
- Skull-Kid's Halloween costume.
- Ax-Crazy: Uncle Fanboy, after a second filler episode in a row was released.
- Berserk Button:
- Never call Tatl "Navi". Like Navi, she doesn't have any patience with morons like Link. Link, of course, refuses to learn that his new partner's name is Tatl.Link: Then you should have gone before you left!
- Uncle Fanboy can't stand filler episodes.
- Never call Tatl "Navi". Like Navi, she doesn't have any patience with morons like Link. Link, of course, refuses to learn that his new partner's name is Tatl.
- Big "NO!": At the end of the opening dream sequence.
- Black Comedy Rape: Opening dream sequence and episode 6 (twice).Link: I mean he didn't have a penis so technically he didn't stick anything anywhere but it was the fact he was trying frightened me.
- Brain Bleach: Episode 5 after looking into AdamWestsLapdog's room.Link: Ah! My virgin eyes!
- Brick Joke:
- In the last episode of OoT, Ganondorf recognises the room he's been banished to as the room seen in episode five.
- Single-episode variant in episode 2 of Majora's Mask. Link spends a few minutes near the beginning obsessing over the dead tree in the tunnel (you know the one), and how it "looks so sad". Tatl finally snaps him out of it, and they proceed through the first three-day cycle. They eventually get to the clock tower, where Skull Kid prompts them to look up, and the episode ends with:Link: Holy sweet zombie Jesus, look at the moon! It's got a face! And it looks so sad...
- Blatant Lies:Man on Flying Carpet: I am not this great Bin Laden that you speak of. I am... American businessman. Osama... Erm... Smith. See! I drive American Mustang. (holds up scroll with strange symbols) And look: English.
- Call-Back: In episode 8.Ganondorf: What are you screaming for, boy?
Link: Oh, sorry, I got confused for a while and thought this was episode one.
- Calling Your Attacks:
- Every single action in the Ganondorf vs. Link fight.
- Spinny attack!
- Catchphrase: As with many abridged series, there are a number of these.
- Ouch, my groin!
- It looks so sad...
- Navi, You So Crazy!
- Character Filibuster / Author Filibuster: The line between the abridger and Link in regards to a cancelled show about a floating head detective (he defended it on the grounds of of awesomeness) is blurred.
- Childhood Marriage Promise
- Child's Play: adamwestslapdog promised to make a whole "Party, Party, Party" song if people donated enough. Enough was raised... but he has admitted several times that he's lazy.
- Chuck Norris: One of the masks in Majora's Mask turns Link into him.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Cliff Richard music.
- Curse Cut Short: Played Straight and Parodied.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Navi threatens her partner quite a lot (and sometimes does make her threats true)
- Deadpan Snarker: Navi, and especially Tatl. Link's idiocy is just snark fodder.
- Death by Irony: Parodied with Volvagia.Link: So a country-singing dragon had it's head smashed in with a giant hammer... How ironic.
- Difficulty Spike: According to Link, mastering Guitar Hero on medium is impossible unless you have a tarantula trained to press the buttons.
- Double Entendre: Episode twoDeku Tree: I want you... inside me.
Navi: Don't you think you could have worded that a little bit better?
- Dreadful Musician: Darunia
- Dumbass Has a Point: Though rarely, Link does sometimes get things right.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Malon decides to call Link Snotball and Zelda does it as well.
- Fanboys: They get mentioned some times.
- Filler: There are some filler episodes and they are lampshaded:Rauru: Stop mentioning the filler episode or else the fanboys will get enraged.
- Flashback Echo: LampshadedLink: Oh, because this is just a memory. And in memories, the last two words of every sentence get said three times ... three times ... three times.
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: Tatl states the reason Link can't be dead is because when he dies, he'll "end up in a place with a lot more fire and brimstone." Link wonders why he'd end up in a fire and brimstone factory.
- Going Commando: Purely a comfort thing for Link.
- Global Warming: Parodied in the intro of episode 10 of Majora's Mask.This episode is brought to you by Al Gore.
- Hammerspace: Lampshaded when Link asks where he's been keeping all his coins.
- Idiot Hero: For starters, Link thought the Deku Tree just had a funny last name instead of an actual tree. The biggest example of Link being an idiot is in the second to last episode where Sheik has something very important to tell Link and Zelda appears in his place... and Link tells her to wait because Sheik will be back any moment to tell him the important thing. Then after Ganondorf kidnaps Zelda his brain starts working and he decides that after Sheik vanished, Zelda appeared who was then kidnapped by Ganon... which means Sheik was Ganon all along! Which does make some sense.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place:
- The guard at the gate warns Link that they did not name the "Death Mountain" like that without a reason.
- He was worried about the Shadow Temple but Sheik lies and says it's full of white rabbits.
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: Episode 14. "I call dibs on his CD player."
- Innocent Innuendo: The Happy Mask Salesman plays with his massive organ. The instrument, of course. And later he'll show you his penis.
- Insane Troll Logic:
- Link and his "fire-proof" suit reasoning and his stealth suit in Majora's Mask.
- Princess Ruto using a mailbox to get a letter to her father from inside Lord Jabu Jabu.
- Insurmountable Waist-Height Fence: Episode 10 of Majora's Mask has its field day with this.
- I Regret Nothing: Apart from dying.
- When Dark Link is mentioned, Link thinks about a black version of him, looking like Mr. T. But instead he turns out to be the link from the animated show.
- Upon getting the hook shot and mistaking it for a mini-rocket launcher:Navi: I think it's actually a hook shot.
Link: Oh please, who would ever want to shoot a hook?
- Locked Door: Who needs keys when you have a giant hammer?
- Love at First Sight: Link towards Zelda. Her first words to him ("Hey assface, how'd you get past my guards?") do nothing to deter this.
- The medallions which you got in the game are parodied for being that by being called "oversized novelty coins".
- Also the sacred stones, which Zelda wants for no reason other than they look pretty.
- Minor Flaw, Major Breakup:
- Link almost stayed with Saria before his adventure even began but run away after Saria asked if he would want to watch Whoopi Goldberg movies with him.Saria: Why does no-one likes Whoopi Goldberg except me?
- He also assumes Nabooru has man hands as soon as he picks up the Silver Gauntlets.
- Link almost stayed with Saria before his adventure even began but run away after Saria asked if he would want to watch Whoopi Goldberg movies with him.
- Music for Courage: Played with, since it's Ganondorf who played the uplifting music after Zelda complained that he was playing dark music for twenty minutes.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!:
- Link with setting the Deku Tree on fire and the entire forest, accidentally kills the pet Dodongo, killing Lord Jabu Jabu, accidentally steals Epona because he can't get off and causes the ranch to go bankrupt, leaves the Gorons to die in the Fire Temple, and leaves some bombs in the volcano which causes it to erupt and sets fire to the entire town of Kakariko Village.
- In Majora's Mask, Link attacks Majora with a snot bubble — right before he was going to make a HeelFace Turn — causing him to continue with destroying the world, goes on a Goron race to get a bottle and causes a rock-slide crushing a scientist who had cured all diseases but he went out to play with his daughter before he wrote it down. He also managed to "rescue" a fish from drowning at the Great Bay. He also killed the Skeleton King who makes it quite clear that sunlight is his one weakness after he said he and his unbeatable army would help kill Skullkid.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Lampshaded in a dialogue which used to be the page quote.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Invoked in the first minutes of episode six of Majora's Mask with a big battle being announced but not shown since "obviously though, a fight scene as spectacular like this could never appear in such a low-budged internet video such as this.". We only get to see a shot of a monkey riding a bicycle.
- Only Sane Man: Navi plays this role, with Tatl taking over for Majora's Mask.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Navi immediately recognizes who Sheik is but is shot down by Link.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: Apparently, Zelda likes Tobey Maguire in tight, revealing spandex a lot...
- Poke the Poodle: Pre-time skip Ganondorf runs on this, his most evil crime being stealing a glow-in-the-dark baseball.
- Precision F-Strike: Subverted twice, both by Link.Link: Son of a bi—
Narrator: Meanwhile two seconds earlier at the exact same location.
Link: Son of a biscuit.
- Public Service Announcement: Parodied, King Zora warns us that we shouldn't eat adventurers because being a Womb Level could be unhealthy. Paraphrased a well known Sonic Sez clip.
- Pun: There are some very bad ones, with possibly the most triumphant being the one involving Saw in episode 16 of Ocarina of Time. The creator apologized for this one.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!:Link: (on The Legend of Zelda TV series) Can't! Resist! Dorkiness!
- Punny Name: In the original. Tatl the fairy has a brother named Tael. If you put them together you get Tael Tatl.
- Rule of Three: See Flashback Echo above.
- Running Gag: Link still believing that Tatl is in fact Navi.
- Schizo Tech: Aside from the actual occasions of this in the original games, a lot of things from our modern world has found their way into the Fantasy Counterpart Culture.
- Selective Obliviousness: Link is stupid but he does have his smart moments. He openly ignores anything Zelda says that implies she isn't his girlfriend.Zelda: I'm going to throw you in the dungeon.
Link: Aw, you're so sweet. Did you hear that, Navi? She's giving us a room.
- Self-Deprecation: Lots, mainly his editing, voiceacting, and catchphrases.
- Sidequest: In Ocarina of Time, Young Link is not willing to do these after what happened during the Sun Song's quest.
- Spoiled Brat: Zelda
- Squick: In-universe, on various occasions.Link: If I wasn't a plant I'd be vomiting right now.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Episode 2Link: Not like there's a dungeon or anything inside you.
Deku Tree: Yeah... And if I did — which I don't — it probably wouldn't have multiple floors and basements... also other monsters.
- Take That!: As usual with this type of series. Some "victims" include Whoopi Goldberg, Cliff Richard, Halo 3 and Richard Nixon. Though probably not as much as the CD-i games.
- Tempting Fate: Happens a lot.
- Episode 2: Deku Tree: "I have a really good feeling about this." Then Link sets him on fire.
- Tennis Boss: Just like the game, Link beats Ganondorf's phantom Bannondorf this way. Though Link only beat him because he plays Wii tennis.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: When Princess Zelda threatens to throw Link and Navi in the iron maiden, Link thinks it means that she likes rock music. Seven years later, Zelda (disguised as Sheik) is playing Guns N' Roses songs on a harp.
- They Called Me Mad!: Dampe.
- This Loser Is You: Uncle Fanboy.
- Too Dumb to Live: A number of characters.
- But Link is the biggest example.Navi: How you've managed to survive this long is a mystery to me.
- When Link breaks into Hyrule castle, the guards mistake him for a walking, talking hedge.
- But Link is the biggest example.
- Unfortunate Names: Our hero's full name is Link Inpark.Link: Mom was a fan, alright?
- Violation of Common Sense:
- Link gets faster to Ganondorf by running backwards. This is lampshaded by Navi. Truth in Abridged Series: Ocarina's backwards running animation indeed makes him go faster (though not as fast as Epona).
- There's a mailbox inside Lord Jabu Jabu. It's lampshaded by Link.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: Zelda, taken to extremes.Zelda: (first line) Hey, assface, how'd you get past my guards?
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: According to Rauru, it's the gayest superpower ever.
- Who's Laughing Now?: People called Dande mad for digging up graves for an underground race course, but then Link visits him. Subverted since Navi immediately points out that it's still completely insane.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Majora's Mask, episode 12. Link guesses that the next temple is through the zombie fort and learns they're in opposite directions... and then that the key to the temple is in the boss chamber in the fort.
- You Have to Burn the Web: Unfortunately, the Deku Tree (and the rest of the Kokiri Forest) also happened to be flammable.
- You Shall Not Pass!:Biggoron: My name is Biggoron, guardian of this temple and I say: none shall pass. Especially any heroes of time who stole the sword from me in the last series.
xanauzumaki's version provides examples of the following tropes:
- A Date with Rosie Palms:
- Link from Ocarina of Time Abridged is known to be a chronic masturbator.
- And in a deleted Twilight Princess Abridged scene, so is Dangoro.
- All Men Are Perverts: Midna seems to think so.
- Art Shift: While the episodes consist mainly of footage from Let's Plays, some scenes are animated using Adobe Flash.
- Ascended Extra: Shad went from being a minor character in Twilight Princess Abridged to being the narrator of Ocarina of Time Abridged.
- Author Avatar: Link, in either series. Also, Midna.
- Ax-Crazy: Link can be this at times.
- Berserk Button:
- Do NOT correct Midna when she confuses Fused Shadows with Mirror Shards. You WILL regret it.
- Also, if Ilia sees something bad has happened to Epona, even if it's just a tiny scratch, you won't hear the end of it.Ilia: I AM NOT FRICKIN' OVERREACTING, YOU FAT SACK OF LARD!
- And do NOT say anything bad about muffins in front of Navi. Seriously! Don't. Diss. Muffins. In front of. Navi. Dark Link realized that the hard way, and Ganondorf discovered that destroying his tower with Navi's new friend, the muffin vendor, still inside was a really bad idea.
- Blah Blah Blah: Mido's taunt aimed directly at Link:"Myeh myeh myeh myeh! Myeh myeh myeh myeh myeh sword and shield myeh myeh myeh!"
- Bystander Syndrome: The Sages in Twilight Princess Abridged, when they don't want to deal with Ganondorf, decide to make him someone else's problem.
- The Cameo: Tauberpa voices the 3rd giant in Majora's Mask Abridged Series.
- Catchphrase: Pretty much everyone has their own catchphrase they say at least once an episode.TP!Link: Oh, sorry, did you say something? I was thinking about boobs.
Navi: Yay, muffins!
Ganondorf: OH GOD, I'M ON FIRE!
Skullkid: I don't know, Mask. I don't think this is a good idea.
Majora's Mask: Yes, it is.
Skullkid: Huh. I never thought of it that way.
- Navi. Big time. To quote another Zelda abridged series: Navi, you so crazy!
- Don't forget about Zant!
- Tetra from Wind Waker Super Abridged.
- Compensating for Something: Ganondorf has a really tiny penis, doesn't he?
- In the Twilight Princess Abridged, Ganondorf claims that his penis is the size of a tictac... when erected. He suspects it is because the Gerudos are mostly a female race, which leads to to a lack of testorone in the DNA, explaining why all Gerudo males tend to compensate it by becoming the primary antagonist.
- Link later uses this 'small perfection' to defeat him in their battle.
- In the Ocarina of Time Abridged, the Great Deku Tree claims that his penis is smaller than Navis' IQ. Ganondorf later says it was frustating having such tiny penis when he is the only male in an all female society and can't get laid. So he has decided if he couldn't have an enormous dick, then he would become the biggest dick in the universe by pointlessly destroying Hyrule.
- In the Twilight Princess Abridged, Ganondorf claims that his penis is the size of a tictac... when erected. He suspects it is because the Gerudos are mostly a female race, which leads to to a lack of testorone in the DNA, explaining why all Gerudo males tend to compensate it by becoming the primary antagonist.
- Cue the Flying Pigs: In Episode 8 of Ocarina of Time Abridged, Navi comes up with a legitimately good idea. Cut away to Hell, which has now literally frozen over.
- Curbstomp Battle: An enraged Navi versus Dark Link and later, Ganon. Navi wins. Twice.
- Curse Cut Short: After the Zora King takes a LONG time to move out of the way.Link: Son of a bi— (cut to Shad)
Shad: After cleverly censoring the word "bitch" with this scene transition...
- Dirty Old Man:
- Mayor Bo. AND HOW.
- Also Rauru.
- Dirty Old Woman: Kotake
- Dreadful Musician: Link, in any season. Midna and Epona really don't like his singing.
- Embarrassing First Name: Flat the ghost from Majora's Mask Abridged.Link: (laughs) Have you ever considered—
Flat: And if you respond with 'Have you ever considered breast implants' I'll impale your head on a dirty pipe.
Link: (laughs) Your name is easily mock-able.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It's hard to find any male character who DOESN'T want to have sex with Link.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Majora
- Expy: Rauru is basically Mayor Bo 2.0.
- Fate Worse than Death: This...Happy Mask Salesman: And remember, if you fail me again I won't just kill you, I'll rape you.
Happy Mask Salesman: Mentally.
Link: Oh... Well I guess—
Happy Mask Salesman: And physically.
Happy Mask Salesman: At the same time.
- Ganondorf suffers this in Twilight Princess Abridged. Rather than being sent to Hell, he is exiled to limbo for all eternity. Let's just remember that he spent ONE ENTIRE MONTH sitted on a throne and he was already bored after just a week. Now let's imagine an eternity...
- It turns out to be subverted in other cases.
- After everything he has done Zant goes to Heaven, something even Ganondorf is shocked. Zant claims it is because he was crazy, not evil.
- Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time Abridged also suffers this. Zelda believes that he was enduring far more pain than anyone could possible imagine... but Ganondorf is actually enjoying, considering that he spent most of the time in the series standing on fire.
- Flanderization: At first, Link started out as a reasonable person, with a bit of a perverted streak. By Ocarina of Time, he has grown to a sex maniac with a violent streak, caring little for others.
- Funny Schizophrenia: Zant. Just ask his 27 multiple personalities.Midna: Let me go, Zant!
Zant: Dont even bother struggling, Midna. Youre outnumbered.
Midna: What do you mean, outnumbered? Theres two of us and only one of you.
Zant: Ah, but thats where youre wrong. Theres the two of you versus me and my twenty-seven multiple personalities!
Voices in Zant's head: Thats right, you tell her!
Hey, shut up and get back in my head!
Why dont you shut up and get back in MY head?!
We have the same head, stupid!
No, youre stupid!
No youre stupid!
Zant, dinners almost ready.
Mom! Shut up, Im in the middle of something right now!
AND IF YOU INTERRUPT ME AGAIN IM GOING TO SLICE YOU OPEN AND FEAST ON YOUR ENTRAILS, AND THEN ILL SLIT YOUR THROAT AND DRINK THE BLOOD FROM YOUR VEINS!
And sing a song about cultural equality! "Its a small world after all, Its a small world after all—"
And dont tell me to shut up! You shut up!
No YOU shut up!
EVERYBODY, JUST SHUT UP!
Midna: (beat) I cant tell whether that was incredibly funny or just plain terrifying.
- For the Evulz: Why Majora likes hitting Tael even after he's told Link and Tatl about where to find the Four Giants.
- Go for the Eye: "An eyeball boss. What a surprise." There are so many eyeball bosses in the Zelda series, that one episode includes a montage consisting of nothing but them.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: Saria's arm.
- Grumpy Old Man:
- Several of the elderly characters in this series, who are senile and want Link to "get off my lawn!" For example, the Goron elduhz.
- Koume is a Grumpy Old Woman.
- Heroism Incentive: Link tries to convince Xana to let him use his whiteness again by offering him a Scooby Snack, prompting Xana to become pissed:Xanauzumaki (Offscreen) : I'M NOT A FUCKING DOG!
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff: Ilia says this in episode 2 of Twilight Princess Abridged.
- Indian Store Owner:
- Or Asian Store Owner in this case — Renado talks like that because the author "can't do a good Jamaican accent".
- One of the Gorons in Ocarina of Time Abridged also talks like this.
- Larynx Dissonance: Xana does the voices for all the characters — even the female ones!
- Lecherous Licking: Ghirahim to Link's hair.
- Lemony Narrator: Twilight Princess Abridged has one.
- The Load:
- The Sages from Twilight Princess Abridged aren't very helpful, either.
- The Mad Hatter: Zant. Even more so than in the original.
- Man of a Thousand Voices
- Motivational Lie: One of the Twinrova sisters convinces an Iron Knuckle to fight Link by saying that Link called it stupid... and that it looked fat in its armor.
- Moral Guardians: Parodied with the Virtuous Anti Gaming Institute of North America.
- Meat-O-Vision: While in Jabu-Jabu's body, Navi mistakes an Electric Jellyfish for — you guessed it — a muffin.
- Mushroom Samba: Those Magic Beans can really mess up the mind, man.
- Nerds Are Virgins: Will Shad EVER manage to land a woman?
- Never Trust a Trailer: When encountering Fyrus, Link expects the epic showdown that he saw in a trailer for the actual game... and then the battle itself ends up being completely anticlimactic.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: When Zora's Domain is frozen over in Twilight Princess Abridged, Link thinks that using a giant flaming boulder from Death Mountain will melt the ice. It actually does that... and ends up wiping out the Zora race in the process. Rutela, obviously, is not pleased.
- Oh, Crap!: Link's reaction to Tatl getting ready to kill herself. After stopping her and giving her an intervention, he apologizes, stating he forgot her suicidal tendencies whenever she isn't living an adventure fantasy.
- Only Sane Man: Joe the Deku Scrub.
- Omniscient Morality License: In Majora's Mask Abridged, Link tells Tatl that because he can just turn back time, it doesn't matter what horrible acts he commits because he can just undo it at a moment's notice.
- Orcus on His Throne: A literal example in 'Twilight Princess Abridged'. While Link and Midna traveled to reach all temples and to the Twilight Realm (which took an entire month), Ganondorf was all that time sitting on the throne in Hyrule Castle, waiting for them to come. He spent all that time counting all the cracks on the ceiling.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Link pretty much knows who Sheik is about ten seconds after her introduction.Navi: Spoiler alert!
Link: Navi, you were supposed to say it before I said her name.
- Patchwork Map: Lampshaded in episode 11 of Twilight Princess Abridged.Link: What the hell? The desert is located right next to Lake Hylia?
Auru: Hell yeah!
Link: Is it even geographically possible for those two completely different climates to be located right next to each other without any kind of natural transition at all?
Auru: Well, in the land of Hyrule it is! In fact, if you walk through a door in Zora's Domain and keep walkin' for about two meters, you'll end up in a snowy mountain region!
Link: What the hell is wrong with the geography of this game?
Auru: Look, kid... there's a lot of things wrong with this game besides the geography.
- Lord Fizzytexture, the Soda Demon, is also called The Devil Incarbonate.
- Also, at the Shadow Temple, Link encounters Lord Fizzytexture in its "fizz-ical" form.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- Midna gives a really big one at the end of Twilight Princess Abridged.
- Also, Link from Ocarina of Time Abridged gives one to Navi. As expected, she doesn't listen.
- He gives a less level-headed one to Darunia, which backfires.
- Link also gives an epic one to Tatl in Majora's Mask Abridged. Tatl didn't take it at all well.
- Link gives another to Fi, who is ultimately unfazed by it.
- Reality Warper: The Happy Mask SalesmanHappy Mask Salesman: Reality is my bitch, and I keep my pimp hand strong.
- Remembered I Could Fly:
- To get from the Hyrule Castle dungeon to Princess Zelda's room, Midna suggests navigating through the sewers and traversing the rooftops, and Link actually does all this... only for Midna to remember at the last minute that she could have teleported him there and saved him all the trouble.Link: I... hate you... so much...
- There are also a few episodes of Ocarina of Time Abridged where Navi suddenly remembers that she could actually fly.
- To get from the Hyrule Castle dungeon to Princess Zelda's room, Midna suggests navigating through the sewers and traversing the rooftops, and Link actually does all this... only for Midna to remember at the last minute that she could have teleported him there and saved him all the trouble.
- Sassy Black Woman: In a deleted Twilight Princess Abridged scene, Telma is depicted as this.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: If Link starts talking, there's a good chance that the heroes will fall into one of these until somebody, usually the Only Sane Man, yells at them to shut up. It rarely works for long.
- The guy sitting on the magic carpet in the middle of the Haunted Wasteland selling Bombchus is implied to be the ancestor of Coro, the guy with the afro in Faron Woods who sells Link a Lantern and Lantern Oil in Twilight Princess.
- A flashback in Episode 3 of Majoras Mask Abridged has a Shout-Out to the Cabbage Salesman from Avatar: The Last Airbender.Tatl: Skull Kid, I dont think you should be recklessly cartwheeling like that.
Skull Kid: You cant tell me what to do! Ha ha! (crash offscreen) Oh, shit.
Cabbage Salesman: (offscreen) MY CABBAGES!!!
Skull Kid: I am SO sorry.
Cabbage Salesman: Nowhere I go is safe! NOWHERE!
- Sociopathic Hero: Ocarina of Time Abridged Link, in a nutshell.
- Spiders Are Scary: Link is really freaked out by these eight-legged crawlies.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Mayor Bo and/or Zant, in any episode they're in. They even make an appearance in Ocarina of Time Abridged too. Mayor Bo appears as either himself or Rauru, and Zant makes an appearance as the voice in Princess Zelda's head!
- Stalker with a Crush:
- Saria. Trust me, you do not want to know what she made that ocarina from.
- Also, Colin.
- Straw Misogynist: Link from Twilight Princess Abridged.
- Tempting Fate: Link from Twilight Princess Abridged. ALL THE TIME.
- That Came Out WrongMajora's Mask: You think I'm afraid of you because you're a dick? I eat dicks for breakfast!
Majora's Mask: ...That didn't come out right.
- That's What She Said: What could very well be Darunia's Catchphrase.
- Token White: Xana.Ganondorf: Oh my god! He's so white! I'm going blind!
- Too Dumb to Live:
- Also, Tael.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Navi likes muffins. a lot.
- The Unintelligible: The Moblin leader... well, at least to Link and Midna. Everyone else can clearly understand what he's saying, though.
- Unsound Effect:
- Clang, clang.
- Poof.Zant: That wasn't epic at all.
- Vocal Dissonance: Epona's voice is... surprisingly deep for a female horse. Lampshaded by Link in Ocarina of Time Abridged.
- Voice of the Legion:
- Navi once:Navi: HE SPOKE BLASPHEMY!
- And later...Tael: THAT PINK BITCH DESERVES TO DIE!
- Navi once:
- Weaksauce Weakness: "You can't harm the invincible Majora! [...] Aaaagh! Bubbles! My one weakness!"
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ocarina of Time Link gets a lot of these due to his comedic sociopathy. Link eventually gives one to Tatl for giving him too many in the cruelest way he can.
- A Wizard Did It:
- Fairies can't be killed by traditional means! Why? Magic!
- Link would normally not be able to survive a fall down a giant hole at the beginning of Majora's Mask Abridged, but that flower broke his fall. What is that flower made of? Magic!Skull Kid: I guess magic really is the answer to everything!
- Yandere: Saria. She made an ocarina out of one of her ribs.Saria: It's okay! Girls have an extra rib anyways!
- Yank the Dog's Chain: When Link asks random game characters for the location of the Hidden Village, the Hero's Shade is excited, rejoicing that after thirteen episodes he'll finally have his time in the spotlight... but then Link decides to ask someone else instead.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Courtesy of the Deku Tree.Link: Seriously, can you quit it with the old English? No-one talks like that anymore.
Deku Tree: Screweth you.
tauberpa's version provides examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptational Villainy: Midna in Twilight Princess was an anti-hero who Took a Level in Kindness over the course of the game. Here? She's a Card-Carrying Villain who would drown a sack of kittens if given the chance.
- All Women Are Lustful: Every incarnation of Zelda, no matter how old she is, wants Link. He rarely notices.Tetra: YES! Tetra one, fantasies- well, twenty-seven. But I still have that one!
- The only apparent exception is Twilight Princess Link, who mostly meets Link in wolf form and only gets to briefly admire him before Gannondorf forces them to focus on more pressing matters. Doesn't stop her from happily and readily accepting his proposal to bang her against a rock after they've defeated/incapacitated all their enemies.
- And Call Him "George"!: ... with a J. Zant's reaction to Link in Twilight Princess Abridged. At least, until Episode 17, when Zant calls him George... without a J.
- Artistic License: Frequently lampshaded and complained about by Spirit Tracks Link.
- A Wizard Did It: "I'm just gonna say 'Triforce of Courage, Biatch,' and leave it at that."
- Badass Boast: This scene from Spirit Tracks Abridged.Link: Once again, we rule.Zelda: And we rule how?Link: By cheating.Zelda: Which is awesome.Link: Also, being a mystical hero and magical princess seems to help.
- Berserk Button:
- Do NOT burn Link's socks. Gohma found that out the hard way.
- And for the last time, Chancellor Cole is NOT a leprechaun!
- Don't EVER call Midna a hero. Zant learned that the hard way.
- Big "NO!": Whenever Link is reminded of how annoying fairies are, but most notably, this:Xanauzamaki's Navi Yaay! Cameo!Link: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
- Boobs of Steel: Telma can decapitate whole squads of goblins with her "sugar titties".
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: A running gag involves Farore's best invention: Waffincakes (waffles, muffins, cake). We see what they actually look like in The Stinger of the Twilight Princess Finale.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Midna, Ganondorf, Cole...
- After Zant takes off her Fused Shadows and lets her in the light to die, Midna is infuriated that she was apparently sent to Heaven.
- Ganondorf tells a sad story of an orphan that met a dog after years all by himself... and then he killed the dog and beat the orphan with the corpse to death. One of the Sages called him a monster and he chuckled.
- The Casanova: Shad is... either this or Casanova Wannabe depending on whether or not the claims he makes about his "book" are real- and whether or not the "book" really is a metaphor for his penis.
- It's hero time!
- Hiiiii, Tetra!
- Cloudcuckoolander: Farore. She's also a Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass when she wants to be, partially because she comes up with the most unexpected plans that actually work out very well with only minimal interference on her part.
- Link, but only in the first Wind Waker parody and the Phantom Hourglass abridged series.
- Covert Pervert: Tetra
- Averted in the HD remake, where she's very forward to Link.
- Cowardly Lion: Twilight Princess Link, which, as Midna points out, is why hes the best person to wield the Triforce of Courage. Despite being traumatized by pretty much everything he encounters, he just keeps going.
- Curse Cut Short:King of Red Lions: Link, you have to stop watching such bullsh— (intro begins)
- Description Cut: One of the common gags in the series involves one character giving a bold statement right before a quick cut to a scene showing the exact opposite of that statement.
- The Dog Bites Back: Midna spends the entire series tormenting Link at every opportunity, and when she leaves she brags to Zelda about how the only person who might be able to stop the invasion of Hyrule shes now planning has successfully had a deep fear of her instilled in him. Midna returns, Zelda fears the impending invasion, and- Link, what are you doing with that rock?Link: THERE! Now you can never come back, you EVIL, HORRIBLE, INSUFFERABLE BITCH!
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Averted, yet still Played for Laughs in Twilight Princess. Ilia is clearly in the wrong and you're supposed to cheer for Link leaving her memory-less, but the hysteria Link has as a result of her actions is so over-the-top it Crosses the Line Twice.
- Driven to Suicide: Link's therapist due to dealing with Link's phobias.
- Early Installment Weirdness: In the first two series, Link was a complete moron, and much of the comedy was derived from his antics. Though his personality changes from game to game, he's never been anywhere near as stupid as he was in the beginning, and recent jokes frequently revolve around him being smarter than those around him.
- Emo Teen: Prince Komali.
- Entendre Failure: Played for Laughs by being consistently played straight and then inverted in the HD remake of Wind Waker. Link fails to understand Tetra's flirting and Tetra fails to understand that he isn't flirting back.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Midna makes a point to avert this, recognizing her Link's potential as a Cowardly Lion- and also to make it clear that she chooses to be evil.
- For the Evulz: Arguably why Midna does anything.
- Foreshadowing: One of the main catchphrases in Twilight Princess.
- After watching the whole series, one realizes that the specific lyrics used in the theme song foreshadow Link's personal journey. He faces the King (Gannnondorf), rides the wind (on Epona), forges a legend of steel (with the master sword), leaves his hell behind him and breaks the chains of the past forever (outgrowing his fears and overcoming his debilitating trauma).
- Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex: If Link is going to return Zelda's feelings, chances are good he'll only do so after the Big Bad is defeated so they can engage in this.
- Idiot Hero / Too Dumb to Live: The Wind Waker (and by extension, Phantom Hourglass) incarnation of Link. Every other character in the series has good reason to call him a dumbass.
- Insane Troll Logic: Why wont Link die?!? Because Ciela keeps hitting his head.
- I Resemble That Remark!: Spirit Tracks Zelda, who accepts being called a "Link-Whore" by Malladus.
- Kick the Dog: Ganondorf has en entire speech dedicated to this.
- The Rito postman's unofficial theme is "Please Mr. Postman". The characters can't help but sing it whenever he's around, much to his annoyance.
- The evil train's theme seems to be "Crazy Train".
- Let's Get Dangerous!: A few times, played for both comedy and feats of badassery simultaneously.
- This is how Link Took a Level in Badass at the end of Twilight Princess, due to a pep-talk from a hallucination from Farore convincing him to become The Unfettered.
- Farore, despite being the ultimate Cloudcuckoolander among the there goddesses, is the one who instigates Link's aforementioned moment in Twilight Princess.
- See Smooch of Victory for Zelda's moment in Spirit Tracks.
- Monster Sob Story: TP Link encounters a random Darknut whose life is just as shitty as Link's. The two of them bond over confiding their traumas to each other and gain some strength from finding a kindred spirit.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Link persuades Zelda to stop panicking and fight Malladus by offering her sexual services if they survive. He only realizes just how badly Zelda wants him after witnessing her subsequent Badass Boast, and he immediately regrets it.
- Oblivious to Love: Almost every version of Link has no idea Zelda lusts after him. The notable exceptions are Twilight Princess Link who screws her after Ganondorf is defeated, and Spirit Tracks Link, who promises to have sex with her if she keeps fighting.
- Only Sane Man: Din is this amongst the three golden goddesses.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: All versions of Zelda for Link.Skyward Sword Zelda: Wow. I have some strange fantasies. I should probably see somebody about that.
- Plot Device All Along: You know that Hammerspace Midna has? The one from canon that lets the player keep Link's gear while in wolf form? The ability to store Links personal items in another dimension doubles as protection against the Master Sword. Should Link attack her, Midna can just "store" the sword before the blow lands.
- Precision F-Strike: Usually Link.
- Redemption Rejection: Midna. Right until the very end.
- Sassy Black Woman: Telma. With a vengeance.
- Smooch of Victory: Link weaponizes a more intense version in Spirit Tracks, by telling Zelda that if she pulls out of her despair to help him fight the final boss and they live through the final battle, he'll do "whatever she wants." She rises to the challenge.
- Stalker with a Crush: Ilia. Her repeated rape attempts are one of Link's many traumas.
- Take That!: One episode of Phantom Hourglass Abridged is a massive one against WMG.
- Took a Level in Badass: Link in Twilight Princess Abridged after Farore, disguising herself as Link's deceased therapist, gives him a pep-talk in Link's mind.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: If Link and Zelda are children, her... attraction to Link qualifies, and is sometimes lampshaded.
- Why Did It Have To Be Squirrels?: Twilight Princess Link has a deep rooted fear of squirrels, due to his hilariously traumatic past. He even manages to befriend a Darknut due to a similar fear of rabbits.
- Why Won't You Die?: Said by Ciela, after she acquires the hammer and learns she cant kill Link with it. She kept wailing him on his head, which apparently has no effect.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Zelda keeps expecting Midna to pull a HeelFace Turn, but she never does, and almost invades Hyrule thanks to Zeldas misplaced trust.