open/close all folders
The Television Series
- During the episode, Zim is in the lunchroom and attempts to fit in. It doesn't go well.(Zim walks up to a child while holding a lunchtray)
Zim: I eat food! JUST LIKE YOU!
(child stares and leaves)
- When he scooches/walks, scoochwalks up to a kid and screams out of nowhere, "I HAVE A STOMACH!"
- And the Scare Chord.
- And this after he eats the beans.Zim: Now that's good ea—(Zim falls off the chair, back-first)
- Any face Zim, Dib, or Gaz makes.Gaz: Oh no, dark forces! Go away, Dib.
- This, as Zim and Dib approach each other ready to Food Fight to the death:Zim: An arm-mounted food launcher! ... Neat!Dib: (visibly flattered) You really think so? Thanks. I was up all night working on it.Zim: Well, it shows.Dib: (giggling) Oh, quit it.
- During the Food Fight in question...Dib: You picked the wrong planet to land on, Zim.Zim: (stops fighting) Wait a minute. Which planet is this?Dib: Earth.Zim: Nope, it's the right planet. (fight resumes)
- "Scared of beeeeans, SPACEBOY???"
The Nightmare Begins
- Tallest Purple while talking about how smoke machines are the new thing, gets hit by one of the lasers.
- Early on in the Great Assigning:Tallest Purple: You have been assigned to Blorch. Home of the Slaughtering Rat People.
The screen shows a graphic image of Invader Larb laying in the ground frightened as a pack of said slaughtering rat people circle around him
Larb: Why would you draw that?
Tallest Red: However, because of your increased height, we've decided to give you the planet Vort. Home of the Universe's Most Comfortable Couch.
The screen changes to a picture of Invader Larb taking a nap on a large couch
- "But Invader's blood marches through my veins. Like... giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"
- Even funnier when you think about the commentary where Richard (Zim's voice actor) said he was supposed to say 'rubber ants', which even he said made more sense, but Jhonen found pants so funny he kept it.
- The Doom Song.
- Watch. Before the radar goes off, you can see Zim reaching over to strangle GIR. Priceless.
- Also, Zim wreaking havoc with a giant robot in a flashback, laughing maniacally, along with an attendant shouting "But Sir, we're still on our home planet!"
- "Silence! Twist those knobs! Twist those knobs! And you! Pull some levers! PULL SOME LEVERS!"
- Immediately followed by this exchange.
- Also:Tallest Purple: Weren't you banished to Foodcourtia? Shouldn't you be...frying something?
Zim: Oh, I quit that after I heard about this!
Tallest Purple: ...You quit being banished?!?!?
- The birth of GIR:
- "Hello friends! I am a perfectly normal human worm baby."
- When Dib points to "the alien sitting in class," the camera pans slowly from him over to Zim, then back to Dib until Dib says "Right there!" at which point it finally locks onto Zim. Apparently, even the camera didn't believe Dib!
- As well as:Dib: And what about his horrible green head?!?
Zim: Insolent fool boy! It's a... skin condition.
Dib: And he's got no ears! Is that part of your "skin condition," Zim? No ears?!?
Zim: [looking sad] Yes.
- As Dib continues to accuse Zim, we get this:Classmate: You're always going on about aliens and ghosts and seeing Bigfoot in your garage.
Dib: He was using the belt sander!
- The nihilistic ice cream truck. The voice coming from its speaker said in an Austrian-sounding voice, "YOU LIKE ICE CREAM. YOU LIKE ICE CREAM. YOU LOVE IT. YOU CANNOT RESIST ICE CREAM. TO RESIST IS HOPELESS. YOUR EXISTENCE IS MEANINGLESS WITHOUT ICE CREAM."
- "Not now, son. I'm MAKINNNNNG... (electrocutes something) TOAST!" (raises a piece of toast into the air)
- Zim's reaction to Ms. Bitters saying she doesn't want to hear another sound from him.
- "Can I be a mongoose dog?"
- Dib: Finally! A way to prove that I'm...I'm...
Zim: That I'm crazy...
Zita: Okay, now that makes sense.
- "I've been preparing for this moment all my life." *gnome zaps away handcuffs* "Okay...I'm gonna go home now and prepare some more!"
- Gaz: "Dib drank the last soda...HE. WILL. PAY."
- GIR saw a squirrel.
- "Invader Zim signing off..." *GIR crashes into Zim from above causing Zim to fall down* "UGH MY SPINE!"
- The expression on the scientist that's in the background, near the right in the fake interview with the scientist who said that he caught Zim because he had no friends in "Bestest Friends."
- Zim going up to a kid saying he's looking to see if he's interested in being his friend and the kid says "I was born with webbed fish toes, like some kind of horrible fish boy. Wanna see?" and Zim quickly backs off with a disturbed look on his face.
- The montage of Keef and Zim acting like "best friends", especially with the music and the end where Zim shoves Keef away.
- Zim's criteria for an adequate friend include absorbancy, electrical conductivity, and some horrible, off-screen test involving an RC taxi cab and a beaver.
- After Keef announces that he plans to throw a pick-me-up party for Zim to GIR, the next time we see him he's holding a paper bag larger than himself behind his back to try to keep Zim from seeing it, only for him to drop the party supplies all over the floor with an unceremonious and wimpy squeak.
- Gaz: (to Dib) When you die, can I play?
Zim: You can't beat me, Dib! My piloting skills are unmatched!
- She thinks this is just a video game, but the funny part is that Dib actually will die if he loses.
Gaz: Is that Zim? Is this an online game?
- Not to mention Dib's "finishing move."
- Dib: ARMS. LIKE. NOODLES!!!!!!!Gaz: (Pushes Dib aside) It's my turn.
- Bonus points for having big, shiny, anime eyes when she does this.
- Arm control nerve.Dib: Arm control nerve?
Zim: That's right.
Dib: In my... belly?
Dib: Humans don't have arm control nerves—
Zim: DO NOT QUESTION ME! I CONTROL YOUR ARMS!
- Dib's Big "NO!" after Zim reveals his intention to wipe his brain.Gaz: Im letting you live this time, Dib. But only because Im still getting through this last level.
Parent Teacher Night
- When Zim tries to program his robot parents to behave more realistically for their trip to a parent-teacher conference, he leaves the duty to GIR, who predictably messes them up by showing them random TV shows and commercials. At the conference, Zim's father robot takes a bite of one parent's homemade cookies and starts doubling over in pain.Mom Robot: Oh no. Honey, is it...?
Dad Robot: Yep. DIARRHEAAAAAAAAAAaaHuh.
- Zim's robot parents were hilarious during this episode. "That was my squeezing arm! THEY TOOK MY SQUEEZING ARM!"
- Preceeded by Zim's half-assed explanation that he "lost his arm in the war."
- "Can't you see this woman is suffering from severe pokey-trauma?"
- "Oh, and you've just got to see these pictures! Here's Billy cryin' when he was kicked off the soccer team for cryin' too much!" *Billy begins crying*.
- "NO! YOU GOT THE MIXTURE ALL WRONG!" (explosion)
- The following:Ms. Bitters: Don't forget that tonight is Parent Teacher Night. Everyone is required to bring their parents to the cafeteria.
Zim: I never agreed to attend this Parent Teacher Night!
Ms. Bitters: Yes, you did.
Zim: No! You lie! [makes wild scratching motions with his arms] YOU LIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
[Ms. Bitters puts a disc into a computer. The chalkboard slides down revealing a screen showing Zim]
Ms Bitters: [on video] Zim, are you going to bring your parents to Parent Teacher Night?
Zim: [on video, aimlessly playing with a pencil] Yeah, sure, whatever.
[Zim looks up at a ceiling-mounted video camera]
Zim: Why would you tape that?
- As well as:Dib: [in Zim's thought bubble] I'll see you AND your parents tonight, Zim! By the way, it's not called "Parent Teacher Night." It's called Zim Doom Parent Night...Zim Doom...Zimmy...Doom Night. [chortles] Watch out for that puppy. [Zim trips over the puppy]
- Don't forget this gem:Ms. Bitters: (to parents) "When you were my students, I said you'd amount to nothing. And I was right. You're NOTHING!"
- Funnier still, that's a Call-Back to Ms. Bitters' lesson earlier about how there was 'NOTHING' before The Big Bang.
- And:Dib: Hello Zim.
Dib: Dad, there's somebody I want you to meet. This is Zim. You know, the alien(!).
Membrane: And what country is the little green boy from?
Zim: Yes, yes that's fascinating. (runs away but quickly comes back and hits Dib's cup causing it to hit him in the face with punch)
- And later after Dib throws punch on Zim, Zim opens his mouth to yell at him, but only makes a hissing noise before he's cut off.
- "I love you cold, unfeeling robot arm!"
- At the end, after Zim's "Parents" fly off, destroy part of the ceiling in the process:Dib: Lemme guess...nobody saw that. *tosses cup on the ground*Man: HEY! THAT KID'S THROWING PUNCH! *Entire crowd turns and stares at Dib*
- The aspirin commercial.AHH! MY SPINE!
- When Zim's robot mom tells him to go to his room, she picks him up and drops him in the punch bowl.
Walk of Doom
- Highlights include GIR replacing his guidance chip with a cupcake, Zim's experience with public transport, and "BEEEEEES!"
- "Awwwwwwww. My bees."
- "Wait a minute... I'M BLIIIIIIND!"
- "Gyaaaaa! They've booby trapped their sun somehow!"
- Zim to the bus driver after being asked for the fare: "Have you the brainworms?"
- Zim's first exchange with the bus driver: "Mind your business, BUS SLAVE!"
- SWAT Guy: "That's him....THAT'S THE GUY..and he's back for MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE! (Beat) Get him!"
- Zim ending up in a filthy, vaguely Mexican townnote The music is what seals the deal.
- And GIR dancing.
- "I miss you, cupcake..."
- The movie Zim and Gir watch in the Cold Open.Scientist: Let's build a giant space station, evacuate all the people and live among the stars!Other Scientist: There's not enough time for that!!First Scientist: (Sheepishly) Can we build a small space station and evacuate all the scientists?(Other scientists look at him hopefully)
(The Female Scientist just stares at him)
- Then as the female scientist begins her demonstration of how to defeat the aliens with germs, she holds up a pepper shaker (to make herself sneeze).
- The story of how McMeatie's completely sanitary burger patties came to be. SPAAAAAACE MEEEEAAAT!
- "Not having access to that technology, we make ours out of napkins."
- The fact that the word "napkins" echoes.
- "Not having access to that technology, we make ours out of napkins."
- "I'm gonna roll around on the floor for a little bit, 'kay?"
- The following:GIR: Aww somebody needs a hug!
Zim: No no no no no Gir no!
GIR: I'M GONNA HUG YOU!
Zim: *runs out of house screaming*
- Zim's Shout-Out to Howard Hughes, down to the tissue box shoes.
- Zim's various screams throughout the episode from seeing the germs. During his five-second demo of the germ-seeing goggles, he screams for so long he has to pause to breathe!Computer Voice (As Zim is cowering in his chair): Wasn't that neat?
- The factory that makes the goggles is in a place named "Planet Callnowia". When it gets to earth, it dramatically crashes down, only to bounce onto the stoop of Zim's house and then gently ring the doorbell.
- "All is going well, nothing to report aside from the usua- OH, WOULD YOU LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT ONE."
Zim: I'LL DESTROY YOU! And you! And you! AND YOU!Purple:...did that scare you too? (Red nods)
- And then after the transmission ends when Zim devolves into a gibbering, screaming pile of germaphobic insanity.
- GIR running around the tree he's tethered to, only to go back around whenever he runs out of rope.
- The punchline of Zim showing up to class the next day, covered from head to toe in meat and giving the rest of the class a chipper (and a little out of character) "Howya doin'?"
- Zim plays dodgeball.ZIM: (after getting hit with a dodgeball) OW! MY SQUEEDLYSPOOTCH!
Dib: "Squeedlyspootch"? Did you hear that, Gaz? That's no human organ! Humans don't have squeedlyspootches
Gaz: I've got a squeedlyspootch.
- Zim's got head pigeons.
- And then there's this gem:Ms. Bitters: "Zim!"
- Zootch's delivery of the line "Mis organos...!" in the Spanish dub somehow manages to be even funnier than the original.
- The school nurse giving Zim a checkup after he's become a bloated blob of stolen human organs.Nurse: Why, you're just the healthiest little child I've ever seen! And such plentiful organs!
- This bit of dialogue right here.Dib: You see, Gaz? To defeat my enemy, first I must study my enemy, then become my enemy, then move in with my enemy, then wear my enemy's clothes, then-Gaz: You're in my light.
Zim: HEY! Throw it over here, you filthy stinking friends! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! I AM ZIIIM!
- There's also Zim calling for the ball to be passed to him while Dib is talking:
- Dib's excuse for getting out of class:Dib: (with half a pencil in his nostril) Ms. Bitters, I think a pencil is lodged in my brain. Can I go to the nurse?Ms. Bitters: How far in your brain?
- The "auxiliary hall pass" just being a rusted old radiator with "Hall Pass" written on it.
- Dib: Do not show fear. This is me without fear. And a sixty-two-pound hall pass.
- "That one has head pigeons. The other one is just annoying. Fix it."
Attack of the Saucer Morons
- The very first joke!(Police officer in car.)Police Car Radio: (Unintelligible static).Police Officer: (Responding into walkie talkie) Bluelugh... blulugh bluh. Bluh.
- "FOOLS! There is none so worthy as ZIIIIIIIIIIIIM!"
- Zim calls GIR to rescue him from the Saucer Morons by wearing an even more obviously robotic exosuit and posing as a government agent. He also sends a retrieval pod for his ship, cloaked as a giant pig balloon.GIR: (in fake voice) I am government man! Come from the government! The government has sent me! Ho Ho Ho This is not an alien life form. He is an experimental government aircraft.UFO nut: That's an aircraft?Zim: Fool! What else would I be?UFO nut: What about the floating pig?GIR: That's a government pig. Well, I've got to take everybody back to the home base now. Bye!Foot guy: He still has to bless my toes!UFO nut: How do we know he's really a government aircraft? And how do we know you're really from the government?GIR: (drops fake voice and caresses his head) I like you.
- When Zim called for the rescue, GIR was out clubbing.
- Even better: when GIR finally returns Zim's call, he's just been dropped off at the base by the women he was dancing with.
- "...Or I'll... I'll... I'll lay eggs in your stomach! I mean it."
- GIR! QUICKLY! RIDE THE PIG!
- "The pig accepts me! It chose meeeee!"
- This, especially if you're a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan:UFO nut: You are the one we've been waiting for! The one foretold in the prophecy! The prophecy told by (beat) Frank.Frank Conniff: Yep. Told ya' he'd come.Foot guy: BLESS THE CORNS ON MY TOES!
- The nuts found other "alien artifacts", including a plant and a dog. Zim's reaction is priceless.
- "Perhaps the pig form represents man's...pig-like affinity for...exploration?"
- The bee. That is all.
- Zim tries to run over a baby For the Evulz, and the way the dad cries after saving it is hilarious.
- TAKE ME WITH YOU!
- After escaping the Saucer Morons, Zim and Gir crash land at...another saucer moron convention.Zim: What?!
- The "We love rain" song ends with a kid randomly beat-boxing.
- There are also the kids randomly flying Peter Pan-style as they sing the song.
- "Oh, such rain we had! Uh, it was delicious."
- Dib asks Ms. Bitters what identifying blotches has to do with their future. Her response?Ms. Bitters: Oh you poor, doomed child.
- During the aptitude test, Zim answers all the questions with "human slave."
- Dib gets to become a paranormal investigator, just like he'd always wanted. However, the investigator he gets paired up with, Bill, is even crazier than him. He believes in strange beings such as "vampire lemurs," and actually thinks Count Cocofang is a real being rather than a cereal mascot. He also claims that dinosaurs haven't ever existed.
- The dad who tells Zim that the equinox is happening that night.Zim: The equinox is tonight?!Dad: YUHHHH-huh. Uh-huh. Aha. Mmmhm. Uh-huh. Mm-hm. Yuhhh-huh.
- As unrealistically convenient as it is, Count Cocofang actually showing up near Mc Meaty's at 5:00, and Dib's reaction both add up as one big funny moment.
- Exam Robot: 94%. Your score is...UNACCEPTABLE!
And then right after:
Exam Robot: (to Dib) 94.1%. Your score is...ACCEPTABLE! CONGRATULATIONS! (Shoots out confetti)
- "Doctors say big head not mean bad! Shunk not bad. SHUNK EAT ENEMY!!!!"
- "WHY SHUNK'S DREAMS NO COME TRUE?"
- Dib: How did you pass the verbal part of the test?
- Gaz swears terrible vengeance on Dib solely for taking the last slice of pizza."From this day, until the END of the day, VENGEANCE WILL BE MINE."
- Later, after waving goodbye to Dib, she sees a box of pizza and her pupils widen, complete with angels singing in the background.
- According to his autobiography, Professor Membrane's first thought was "I will poop now."
- As Dib is being forcibly removed from the TV studio, he uses the exploding permission slip as a diversion... but not before this exchange.Dib: (To one of the security guards throwing him out) Excuse me, do you have a pen?Security Guard: (Politely hands him a pen without a second though) Here ya go!
- Zim: Something is broken and it's not your fault?!
GIR: I know, I'm scared too.
- The Shout-Out to Fargo.
- Zim's ill-fated attempt at recruiting Dib:Zim: Your world might be in very great danger.
Dib: Well, yeah. You're trying to destroy the human race, remember?
Zim: [laughs awkwardly] Oh, yes. But this is something different. This is something else entirely.
- GIR doing the "I crush your head!" bit on Zim.
- Zim distracts the bigger planet jacker while his ship cuts open the hollow dome containing the Earth. At first it looks like it'll be this epic space showdown... and then we're shown just what happens when someone like Zim tries to physically fight someone three times his size.
Rise of the Zitboy
- Dib's hilariously bad squirrel disguise.
- GIR and the Pizza Guy.Pizza Guy: Here's the pizza you ordered.
GIR: (teary-eyed) Th-thank you... I... I love you.
Zim: GIR! We fend humans away from our home, not invite them over!
GIR: I had a coupon!
- What makes it even funnier is the way the guy says it, "Here's the pizza you or-DERD."
- This.Zim: Why WAS THERE BACON IN THE SOAP??!?GIR: I MADE IT MYSELF!!Zim: (starts furiously eyetwitching)
- Even funnier because Zim tore open a wrapper to get to the soap. GIR went to a lot of trouble to put bacon in it.
- In the commentary for that episode, Richard Horvitz specifically mentions that as his favorite exchange.
Invasion of the Idiot Dog Brain
- "AH MISSED YOU, MOMMEH!"Tallest Purple: I'm glad it had a happy ending after all.Tallest Red: Me too.
- GIR takes over the house's computer systems, and suddenly decides he wants to go get Mexican take-out.Zim: GIR! Tacos are not worth compromising the mission! I am your master, and you will obey me, so obey me! (beat) Please?
GIR: I guess you're right... I'll get a giant burrito, too!
- And then when GIR bucked like a horse and yelled BURRITOS!!!!
- GIR proceeds to turn the house into a giant robot and run off to Krazy Taco.
- "So, that's two large tacos, a burrito, and a medium GIR-Take-Us-Back-To-The-Base-Right-Now. Do you want a drink with that?"
- "We got New Poop, Classic Poop, Diet Poop, Cherry Poop, and salty lemonade."
- Zim's rambling in the background during the scene is amusing to listen to as well if one pays close attention.
- "Shut your noise tube, taco human!"
- The way the guy silently slips down under the window without changing the expression on his face is unbelievably funny.
- GIR realizing he has no mouth with which to eat the tacos he ordered.
- "I need tacos, I need tacos or I will explode....that happens to me sometimes"
- From the same episode, GIR making Zim dance.
- The yuppie at the pay phone bragging about his new car... which is crushed by House!Gir mid-sentence. He then calls 911 and reports the incident with the exact same enthusiasm."Hello, police? I'd like to report a... giant house that flew out of the sky and de-STROYED my car! Okay, thank you!"
- "Can mobile homes rampage?" "MUST BE ONE OF THEM NEW ONES!"
Bad, Bad Rubber Piggy
- The episode opens with Professor Membrane taking a question from a kid the audience on his show:Small child: My mom makes me eat Breakfast Chunks for breakfast, but I hate them. (suddenly echoing) I HATE THEM SO MUCH!
- GIR's brief moment of brilliance is downright hilarious.
- Professor Membrane outlining the dangers of altering the timeline:
- On a related note, the giant fish in a bear suit. "He would be HORRIBLE! Look at him go!"
- "No! These are for science!" *holds up rubber-piggy* "SCIENCE!"
- This exchange:GIR: What is it?Zim: A hunter-destro-GIR: WHAT IS IT?Zim: A hunter-destroy-GIR: WHAT IS IT?Zim: A hunter-destroyer machine.
- Muahahaha, Zim has finally gotten rid of the foolish earth-creature—and Membrane made his son a Humongous Mecha with the strength of TEN THOUSAND LITTLE BOYS! Cue Dib's Roaring Rampage of Revenge, ripping Zim's house apart all the way down to the lab, whilst the alien futiley tosses in more and more rubber piggies, giving Dib even more weaponry... There's just something inherently funny in seeing Zim's latest filthy evil snowball through his lair.
- "Oooooh yeah."
- Prof. Membrane's entire narration at the beginning. "Aw, look, he's happy."
- "YOU CAN HIDE, ZIM, BUT YOU CAN'T... (Beat ) ...HIDE!!"
- More Black Comedy than anything, but the ending has Zim throwing one last piggy into the past as a Reset Button. Said piggy replaces his brain and features this message:Zim: ZIM! Don't use the time machine. Love, ZIM!
A Room with a Moose
- Zim: But I choose this particular wormhole especially for the occasion...You see, at the end of this wormhole lies...A ROOM! WITH A MOOSE!!!
Flashes to a white room with a moose staring menacingly
Dib: NOOOO- Wait a minute, did you say a room with a moose?
Zim: Yes, your fear is overwhelming, no?
Dib: Um, no. What's so scary about a room with a stupid moose in it? I mean, yeah, that's a big moose, but really.
Zim: OH, I WILL SHOW YOU! PREPARE YOUR BLADDER FOR IMMINENT RELEASE!!!
Dib: (off screen) Nuh-uh!
- The "demonstration" in question: feeding the moose some walnuts. And it actually scares Dib.
- The above takes on Fridge Horror with the realization that the wormhole doesn't open into the room itself, but rather directly inside the moose's mouth, meaning he'll start chewing as soon as the bus reaches its destination.
- When Zim drops the episode's title, he says it in such a hammy way it's impossible not to laugh.
- The other two wormholes he was considering were one with itchy gas, and another filled with nothing but dookie, which is promptly not shown.
- Zim, after using the toilet, screams, "LEAAAAAAAVE NOOOOOO EVIDEEEEEEEEEEEENCE!" (He was actually destroying evidence of an evil scheme.)
- To make it even more hilarious, this one boy walks out the bathroom stall next to Zim just as the evidence is destroyed which makes it look like Zim dropped a big one.
- Zim: Now, Dib, I leave you to your...
GIR: (whispering) "Moosey fate!" Say "moosey fate!"
Zim: ...(Ponders this before deciding it's actually a good idea) Your moosey fate.
- MY BUSINESS IS DONE! Also, "Nonsense I had much to do! SO MUCH!" And "Ms. Bitters I have a MIGHTY NEED to use the restroom."
- How does Dib foil Zim's plan? By going to the other side of the bus, causing the other kids to avoid him and steer the rocket bus the other way.
- From the DVD Commentary: They didn't ask for CGI walnuts, but they got them anyway, and it cost them the last of their CGI budget, stopping them from making a massive space-battle episode further down the line. It bares repeating: Vasquez is claiming that five seconds of CG walnuts was equal in cost to animating a massive space battle.
- Zim: Phase 2 is underway.GIR: That's my favorite phase.
- OHHHH YEAHHHHH....ULTRA PEEPI...
- "Don't fear the Peepi; fear me! Fear me."
- When Peepi is introduced to the class, everyone thinks he's adorable. Except, of course, for Zim.Zim: *screams hysterically*Dib: "...Do I even have to say anything at this point?"
- The citizens' screaming fear being constantly interrupted by gushing how cute Peepi is.
- Dib to Zim when the augmented Peepi eats its way out of the school building and grows 10 feet tall before walking off.Dib: Anything you'd like to confess?
- Before Ultra Peepi makes its way to Zim's lair, we're treated to a scene of Zim and GIR calmly sitting on the couch eating Fun Dip and watching TV:Zim: Watcha watchin'?
GIR: Angry Monkey.
Zim: That...horrible monkey.
GIR: Mmhmm. Where's Ultra Peepi?
Zim: He's working.
- The "No animated characters were harmed" disclaimer featuring all the characters who were very, very much harmed gathering around hugging Pipi, who seconds earlier exploded. It's an extremely transparent and hilariously half-assed attempt to appease the Nickelodeon censors in spite of the episode's high body count.
Plague of Babies
- Zim and GIR in the out-of-control Voot Cruiser, screaming their heads off.
- Gir is eating a hot dog the whole time.
- "He's cute. And sticky looking. HI BABY!" (is tackled by Zim)
- I AM THE NEIGHBORHOOD BABY-INSPECTOR! I have come to inspect the baby.
- "Get him! EAT HIS FEET OFF!"
- "I knew it. EARTH BABIES COME FROM SPACE!"
- GIR's increasingly crude preparations of chicken & mayo, culminating in dipping a live chicken in a pile of mayonnaise and eating it whole offscreen.
- Gir beatboxing. That is all.
- The alien babies' leader demanding that Zim not call him by his fake human name of Noogums and instead call him by the more dignified... Shnooky.
- IT'S SHNOOKY!
- Gir's weird non sequitur after Shnooky cries, disappointed at the fact that the babies didn't explode.
Bloaty's Pizza Hog
- "I'm trying! To draw! A little! Piggy!!" (Head turns around Exorcist-style as Gaz foams at the mouth) "CAN'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING TO DRAW A LITTLE PIGGY!?!" (Normal voice) "Be quiet."
- "Reign of terror, Gaz! Reign of terror!"
- This exchange:Zim: Your pitiful rescue attempt is nothing but a pitiful failure! Stupid, stinking, humans.
Gaz: Doesn't this station have escape pods?
Zim: Of course, they're right over there. (points to escape pods) Stupid, stupid... Hmmm?
- "Bloaty's. We're going to Bloaty's Pizza Hog. The pig...COMMANDS ME!"
- "ON THE OUTSIDE!! Get it? THE OUTSIDE!"
- The fact that Gaz only decides to save her brother when she realizes that taking him home inside-out would result in family night being canceled.
- The actor in the Bloaty costume is actually even more grotesquely fat than the costume itself, looking like a human amoeba in a dirty tank top. He actually cushions the escape pod when Gaz crashes into the restaurant, with no damage to him other than briefly waking him up from his food coma.
- The voice credits for the animatronic characters in the restaurant being listed as "Animatronic Horrors".
Door to Door
- Poop Dawg's Totally Radical routine is funny, but one line towers above the othersPoop Dawg: And if you thinks you all's somethin' with the top sellies... and... wit... [normal voice] I can't do this.
- WARNING: Candy made entirely of sawdust.
- "MmmHmm, that's the sawdust."
- "YAAAYYY, I'M GONNA BE SICK!"
- "If you don't buy my candy, my little brother will go insane!"
- Adhesive Medical Strips
- If you look at the package, they're apparently bacon-scented.
- Then, during the initial zerg rush of children, lasers can be seen going through the air. Why? Because it's funny. And the reaction of the adults: "Fundraising...children! AAAAAAAAGH!" This is especially funny if your school had you sell stuff door-to-door as part of a fundraiser.
- "Why iiiiiiiis his head so big? WHYYYYYYYY'S HIS HEEEEEAD SO BIIIIIIG?"
FBI Warning of Doom
- Slab Rankle. That is all.
- The computer's definition of the FBI.Zim: Computer! give me all the information you have on the FBI.
Computer: The FBI is a government law-enforcement agency.
Computer: Insufficient data.
Zim: Insufficient data?! Can't you just make an educated guess?
Computer: O...kay. Um...Founded in 1492 by...uh...demons, the FBI is a crack law-enforcement contingency designed to...uh...I dunno...fight...aliens?
- Don't forget the pictures of them flying around and using corn as guns.
- The movie GIR is watching opens with an FBI warning that starts off as the usual piracy notice but takes a turn for the bizarre halfway through."Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures in any medium (Title 17; United States Code, Section 501 and 506). The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigates allegations of criminal copyright infringements. They will hunt you down like the dirty monkey you are and force you to wear a moose skin and ride a greased pig while singing folk tunes. They are forcing me to ride the piggy as I write this. The piggy is smelly!!"
- Although that should really have been expected, considering it actually started with Warning of Doom!!!
- Slab decides it's TIME FOR ZOMBIES! ...And they are so non-threatening (being, well, mindless shambling zombies) that Zim doesn't even have to try to avoid them in the last few feet to the return slot. He even uses one's head as a step-stool. Glorious.
- "I couldn't help it. I've got the MUSIC IN MY SOUL!!"
- When Zim leaves all the people who've been kidnapped by mall security to Slab Rankle after giving his inspirational spiel.Zim: See what you can accomplish when you just work together? *escapes*
- This exchange:Ms. Bitters: Dib, you stink! Go and roll around in the toilet until you smell better.Dib: But I'll smell like the toilet.Ms. Bitters: Exactly.Dib: But... Willy was the last one to use it.
- Cut to a few seconds of Willy cackling in his own filth as Creepy Circus Music plays.
- When Dib and Zim form an Alliance to find a cure.
- Dib: Just this once, we work together! Mortal enemies working together for the common good!Zim: BE QUIET!
- When Gaz takes a bite out of Dib's bologna-head.
- "Gaz, taste me! I'm delicious!"
- Computer? Have I absorbed the bologna?!
- Ms. Bitters tells the class since the school can't afford textbooks, they'll be learning from a wildlife survival guide and will be quizzed on how to skin a moose. Zim asks an important question.Zim: Is it a fair fight? Is this "Moose" creature wielding any projectile weapons?Ms. Bitters: ...no. No it's not.
- During this scene, Ms. Bitters' feet are sticking out far from under her desk, making it look like she's sitting on the floor behind it. According to the commentary, her desk was drawn too short so they added that in.
Game Slave 2
- IGGINS!!! Best Writer Revolt ever.
- Dib meeting the rat people living in the mall parking lot.Rat Woman: I was once a man...
Dib: But... you're a woman.
- Dib: It was a really good episode.
- Gazs reaction when she sees the Game Slave 2 commercial is priceless but also adorable.
- And the way she throws her Game Slave in the garbage with the same look on her face.
- Also, Dibs face when he sees the commercial, its even more adorable.
- And the way she throws her Game Slave in the garbage with the same look on her face.
- "I need one."
- Iggins desperately hitting the button on the elevator neurotically.
- Before Gaz dumps the batteries in the toilet, she opens her eye with a squeak.
- The kid exploding after being thrown onto the zipline.
Battle of the Planets
- This exchange when the Tallest discuss the importance of Zim's exile on Earth with the Irken army.Tallest Purple: And we all remember how Zim messed up Operation Impending Doom 1, am I right?
Random Irken: I don't!
Tallest Purple: Seize that guy, and throw him out the airlock!
(guards send the screaming Irken into space)
Tallest Purple: That was the wrong guy, but that's okay. I think everyone gets the point, hmm?
- ''GIR, get off my head!''
- Professor Membrane: (strictly) Where are you going at this hour?
Dib: Uh..you know...
Professor Membrane (via a puppet of himself, wearily): To save the Earth?
Dib: Uh huh. (leaves)
Professor Membrane (disappointed): My poor insane son.
(Exchanges an exasperated look with his puppet self)
- A hologram of a Martian explains to Zim that the now-extinct Martian race died out while working to convert Mars into a spaceship:
- GIR's method of sabotaging Dib's "ship":
- Dib: Hey, Go away.
GIR: Okey-dokey! (flies off)
- Dib: Hey, Go away.
- Four words: The Soda Can Guy. The greatest Big "NO!" ever.
- Zim contacts his leaders to update them on his progress... while wearing a fluffy bear suit.Tallest Red: Greetings, Zim. Working hard, it seems. Doing us proud.
Zim: Why yes, yes I am... I'm in a bear suit!
- Soon after: "I am becoming impatient with this subtle infiltration, and grow ever hungrier for the destruction of the humans. DESTRUCTION IS NICE!"
- "Real science. Try it!"
- In the titular battle, Zim finally ups the ante with a race through the Asteroid Belt.Dib: That's just stupid...(Cue Mars getting crushed by hail of asteroids and screaming Zim)
- Funny Background Event: Pilot-less Mars rams right through the Irken Armada.
- "Nope, this time I was trying to get rid of Mars. I'll do Earth next. I'm an unstoppable death machine, you know."
- There's something inherently funny about all of Nasaplace.Dib goes running by screaming intelligiblyNasaplace Worker: Was that the, eh... crazy UFO kid?
Dib: I know what you're gonna say, but you have to believe me this time! Mars is a giant spaceship and it's being piloted by an alien—Nasaplace Worker: Is this that "Zig" you always talk about?Dib: Zim! He's activated the face on Mars, and now he's flying the whole planet like some horrible— Wow! This sounds really stupid, doesn't it?Nasaplace Worker nods silently
- Dib trying to explain the situation to the people at Nasaplace:
- Also, "Sorry, kid. Since they cut the funding we're not even allowed to look at those monitors."
- GIR is having tea with a pig when Zim summons him.GIR: I gotta go, pig. I'll see you later.Jumps on tableFlies off with his Rocket Boots leaving the pig charred and confused.
- Zim: These Mars-oids left no evidence of there destruction for me to find! Just a bunch of rocks! I hate them!
- Skoodge is ugly and short.
- At one point when Zim and Gir are sharing an Evil Laugh, the Martian Training Manual joins in.
- Upon first opening the Manual, Zim assumes the entire Martian species were manuals.
- Zim backing up the Mars-ship, complete with with truck sound effects.
- Zim is frustrated with the lack of evidence about Martian civilization or what destroyed it aside from the weird monuments, leading to this gem:"This planet's a rock! A useless wasteland! Ooh! Whoever they were, they left no sign of what wiped them out. They just left these stupid structures here to taunt me! I HATE THEM! And I hope they DIE-(kicks a Martian skull)...oh, yeah."
Halloween Spectacular of Spooky Doom
- Ms. Bitters's account of when she was allegedly a fairy princess, especially the ending where she flies into a bug zapper.Ms. Bitters: Everything was so nice, until one day it all went horribly WRONG!
- Dib arrives at skool after his trans-dimensional portal begins showing him visions of the other dimension.Dib: Sorry, I'm... Late, I... HORRIBLE, NIGHTMARE VISIONS!
Ms. Bitters: It's called life Dib, sit down.
- Zim: Where are we?
Dib: Some kind of alternate universe. It's based on my imagination somehow.
Zim: And you brought me here?! You sickening, troublesome human!
(Zim activates his PAK legs and approaches Dib threateningly)
Dib: Hey! The only way out is through my head! Anything happens to me and you're stuck here forever!
(Zim retracts his robot spider legs)
Zim: Curse yoooouuuu! Wait; I can still do stuff to your legs, right?
Dib: I guess, but- wait! No!
Zim: Curse yoooouuuu!
- When the Nightmare!Whitecoats are bringing Dib to the Nightmare!Miss Bitters, one of the Whitecoats begins to monologue about their evil plan, which is interrupted when Dib teleports back to his world. Although it's imperative that they find Dib, the other Whitecoat immediately goads his partner to continue with his speech before going to tell their boss that Dib has escaped, because "I love it when you do those speeches all scary-like". His partner obliges.
- "Were gonna open your head! Heh-heh hee hee hee!"
- The dancing skeletons that randomly appear after a wave of bats fly at the screen.
- Dib nonchalantly standing there and eating a lollipop while Zim threatens to destroy him.
- Zim: I've had enough of your nonsense from your smelly mouth filled with...corn!
Dib: But I haven't been eating corn.
- "I'LL GET YOU, DIB! YOU STINKING HUMAN!!!"
- Nightmare Bitters is, unlike her real-world counterpart, a hilarious Large Ham with No Indoor Voice. This comes to a head at the ending, when she reaches Earth, but is scared off by the trick-or-treating Skool kids and a truly enormous, bloated GIR. "SUCH HORRIBLE DOODADS!! AHH-HAAAHH!!!!"
- "He said we could destroy his friend. Then he threw a can at my head. It hurt."
- GIR attacking trick-or-treaters and stealing their candy, flying tackling someone so hard their underpants fly off.
- The fact that Jhonen has no idea at all how this episode got on TV.
- After learning the way back to reality is through a portal in Dib's head.Dib: Wait, how do I get back?Zim: Good question. *long pause* But I don't care!
- Although the entirety of the episode is pretty much one Moment of Funny after another (thanks to the host's clear wish to kill himself and the world's worst dramatic reenactments ever), GIR's version of events takes the cake. Just... wow.
- Zim's.In a heavy Received Pronunciation accent "But I need these monies to buy nutrients!"
- "I was a chubby lady, hiding in the bushes!"
- This one deserves context. GIR was the robot in a tape Dib made and sent to Mysterious Mysteries. GIR went on the show as a "mystery informant" with his face mostly pixellated. This foot-tall, metallic "mystery informant" was not the foot-tall robot in the tree, but a chubby lady hiding in the bushes. Named "Stacy".
- The host visiting Dib's house.Gaz: WHO ARE YOU?! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!! (throws popcorn at host)
- Don't forget:
- "And then the squirrel ate Dib's greasy head."
Host: What does that have to do with anything?!GIR: Me and the squirrel are friends.*cue random dancing from the reenactment actors while the Dib actor is hoisted on a medical stretcher*
- The looks on the rest of the cast's faces during this particular "reenactment" are priceless.
- Rob's meltdown over Dib claiming his father was a yeti.Rob: He told me my daddy was a yeti! My daddy's not a yeti! He's not a yeti!
- This comment, which basically summarises the entire premise of the show:Host: The only conclusion I can come to is that Dib is crazy! This one here (camera pans to GIR) definitely crazy. I feel bad for the ugly green kid, but there's a decent chance he's crazy too.
- Professor Membrane: So I got to thinking. Why has nobody made a power source that needs no fuel? WHYYYYYY?!
- Zim: GIR! GIR! Unleash the monkey!
GIR: [walks up to microphone] "MONKEY!" [walks away]
- When Professor Membrane gets annoyed with the hecklers in the audience and retracts his perpetual energy generator.Prof. Membrane: No power for you.
- Torque Smackey(after Dib mentions that Membrane is his dad): So? (eats Super-Toast. Cue Body Horror)(after Membrane states everyone knows all power sources need fuel) "Pff. I didn't know that.""My dad can fit an entire potato in his mouth."
- After Future Dib finishes his longwinded story, Dibs reaction is priceless:Dib: Wow, I'm boring! Do I always explain everything like that?
- Zim electing himself squad leader, with predictable results. How bad is he? He loses three squad members at the first obstacle!
- GIR screaming "Headless clown! HEADLESS CLOWN!"
- One member of Zim's team yells "YOURAHORRIBLELEADERRRRRRRRRRR" just as he gets beamed to the holding pen of pain.
- This exchange.Throbulator: The holding pen is painful?!
Hobo 678: Yes.
Throbulator: Does it have to be?!
Hobo 678: Not really.
Hobo 678: This is the stinking canyon of the Ferocious Meat-Thirsty Hogulus.
- Hobo 678 gives everything at Hobo 13 the suffix "OF PAIN!". This eventually gets to the point where Zim starts making fun of him for it.
Zim: "Of Pain?" [Hobo 678 growls angrily at Zim].
- Zim's hilariously half assed attempt at saving Skoodge. He attempts to draw power from his teammates to become strong enough to throw a big rock at the beast menacing Skoodge and calls it a lost cause just because it's taking a bit to reach full power.
- When Zim throws the cute baby-looking alien into the jaws of a monster thing.
- From the DVD commentary: "He didn't even need to do that!"
- "I bet ten thousand monies something eats him up!"
- Bob's gloating as Zim proceeds to win.
- R. Lee Ermey is once again a Drill Sergeant Nasty. It never gets old.Hobo 678: You are the worst student I've ever had!Zim: Perhaps you've trained me too well!Hobo 678: No, really. You're the worst.
- Roll call. Zim's Ham-to-Ham Combat with the drill sergeant is a riot.ZIM: WITH MY MIGHTY FISTS OF HORROR AND UNSTOPPABLE CRUELTY, I AM THE TOOL OF VENGEANCE, DESTRUCTION AND FURY!Hobo 678: I ONLY ASKED FOR YOUR NAME!
Throbulator: I AM THROBULATOR! I AM A BEING OF PURE HEADACHE! YEE-OWW, MY HEAD!!!(beat)Hobo 678: YOUR NAME! THAT'S ALL I WANT!
- Throbulator gets a good one as well.
- Skoodge cements himself as the show's Spotlight-Stealing Squad:Zim: Skoodge? I thought the Almighty Tallest killed you.Skoodge: Yeah, but I'm all right now.
Skoodge: Zim! I made it! I escaped from the canyon! I'm alive!(Hobo 678 lands on him rear-end firstSkoodge: Where am I?! What am I seeing?!
- Later on...
- Zim, after hearing Skoodge mention how the Tallest promised to promote him if he cleared the training, quietly laughs to himself calling Skoodge gullible for believing this and still remaining blissfully unaware that he was in the exact same situation.
- The Tallest are so confident ZIM will die horribly on Hobo 13 that Purple opens a betting pool on it. Red has to point out the obvious.(Purple looks up with a hilarious Oh, Crap! expression on his face.)Purple: Any bets for ZIM succeeding? COME ON!
- On his way to the titular Hobo 13, Zim starts humming his own theme song.
Walk for Your Lives
- The Tallest checking up on the other invaders for Probing DayPurple: Now if you'll just show us a little puppet show depicting how you plan to destroy the planet...Invader Slacks: Puppet show?!?Red: Everyone loves puppets! Except you, it seems. You fail inspection!Purple: You get a pummeling.(Two mallets on mechanical arms extend from Slacks' base and pound him over the head repeatedly. The Tallest toast their drinks as they watch)Red: Happy Probing Day, Invader Slacks!
- The next Invader after Zim goes through with the puppet show thing, much to the joy of the Tallest.Tallest Purple: Yeah! Yeah! Two words more puppets YEAH!
- Zim's comments on his desire to pass his Probing Day inspection:Zim: Even as a small Irken smeet, my dream was to pass Probing Day like a Sloor beast passes her young: JIGGLY! And full of juuuiice.
- Dib is frozen by the stasis field and reduced to slowdown speed. He ends up in the living room of Zim's neighbor, because that's where the disposal tube leads. She's not even a little surprised at his appearance.Woman: Well lookit that! It's one of them bighead boys!
- After failing to smother the temporal explosion in a cesspool, Zim decides the best course of action would be to simply remove the time field around the explosion and let it detonate at regular speed. The plan is so stupid that even GIR points out how severely flawed it is.Zim: If I can bring the time field around the explosion back up to regular speed, it'll fix everything!
GIR: No, it won't!
Zim: (not listening) The explosion will blow up like normal and be gone FOREVER!!
GIR: But won't it just explode, just like this, KABLAM!GIR: (after Zim resolves to find Dib so he can speed up the explosion) Won't the 'sploding hurt!?GIR: (as Zim is preparing to launch Dib into the explosion) But if the big 'splody goes fast, won't it get all bad? (starts crying)
- After Zim launches the stasis-frozen Dib into the time field explosion, it restarts and the camera zooms in on Zim's face... then cuts to the Tallest finishing up inspection day.Purple: Is that everyone? I think thats everyone. Let's go, I'm hungry!Red: Well there is Zim, but I think he stopped being alive. Oh well, let's see! *turns on the screen*Zim: *caught in the middle of an enormous explosion* AAAAUUUGGAAGH- *transmission cuts off*Red: Hmm. O-kay...
- One especially funny aspect of this is how Purple initially flies off towards the top right corner of the screen, and then slowly reemerges from the bottom with an annoyed look when Red mentions Zim.
- Zim receives a giant robot capable of ultimate destruction and plans to destroy Dib with it. The robot's cloaking device only cloaks the robot itself (making it look like Zim's floating in midair) and makes as much noise as humanly possible, so when he shows up at Dib's house:Zim: Now, fight an enemy you cannot see!
Dib: ...You're right there.
Dib: There! Your mighty Irken cloaking device cloaks the robot but not you!
Zim: LIES! Now, BEHOLD THE DOOM CANNON!
Dib: I can't. It's invisible.
Zim: ...But you can see me?
Dib: That's what I said.
Zim: OH, THAT'S STUPID!!
Dib: Really stupid!
Zim: YOU DARE AGREE WITH ME?! Prepare to meet your horrible DOOM!!
- Early in the episode, Zim is walking back from Skool with an unnamed boy, ranting and raving semi-coherently about Dib. Then the boy asks, "What are you talking about? Who are you?" It gets even better when it turns out the kid goes to a completely different school and Zim apparently just started walking beside him and raving about Dib.Zim: "My name is Dib, with my pointy hair. POINTY HAIR!! I eat 'food' and have 'stuff'!"
- The entire sequence of Zim in the Megadoomer with the cloaking device on; basically the robot is completely invisible except for Zim (who looks like he's floating in mid-air), and GIR has to constantly find a plug outlet to keep it working.Megadoomer Computer: Cloaking Device activated.
GIR: I CAN STILL SEE YOU!
- This exchange:
- Zim: Do you know what that means, GIR?!
GIR: "Oooooooooooh-AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" *spazzes out*
Zim: It means it can turn invisible.
GIR: I had no idea.
- Zim: Do you know what that means, GIR?!
- Hey! Hey! Hey! MOVE IT! Hey! Hey! YOU INVOKE MY WRATH?!
- "OH THANKYOUYOUVEDONETHERIGHTTHINGMYTALLISTYOUWONTBEFORGOTTENWHENIRULETHEUNIVERSETHANKSFORTHISAMAZINGBATTLEMECHBYYYYYYYEEEEE!!"
- Almighty Tallest enjoy a hearty chortle, after which Purple randomly says "Let's go eat food."
- GIR cuddling the Megadoomer with this quote, and Zim's hilariously deadpan response:GIR: (gasp) It's got chicken legs!
Zim: Yes, chicken legs.
- Zim: GIR. Remember with your brain. You must behave like a human dog monster, do you understand?GIR: I really don't.Zim: GIR! Human dogs don't speak!GIR: Oooh.Zim: Now go answer the door.
- Dib gets stolen by a giant floating baby.
- Everything regarding the two aliens that abduct Zim, from their human disguises which actually manages to be WORSE than Zim's, to their insanely poor attempt at mimicking human behavior while posing as Zim's new neighbors, such as requesting to GIR that they wish to "vomit language" to the human occupant of the "shelter unit." Even Zim is able to see through their costumes at first glance.
- When they first meet Zim, they refer to him as "Perfectly normal human worm baby."
- They decide to "fuse" Zim with another human being. A: It's a gopher, and B: They tape it to his head. They then get into an argument about whether they should fuse Zim with a juice box or if they should experiment with shoving things through his head.Green Alien: His head is just begging for juice fusion!
- After Zim escapes, the blue alien worries the "fusing" made him too powerful, and the green one insists fusing him with the juice would've slowed him down.Blue Alien: What if the juice had made him even more powerful? What then?Green Alien: Whoa whoa wait are we talkin' 'bout the saaaame juice?Blue Alien: Yeah when's the last time you cleaned yourself?Green Alien: Define self.
- A very funny but easy to miss joke is that the two are wearing name tags, except the one in the male costume is wearing the one that says "Mary" and the one in the female costume says "Fred".
- The alien's "Plan 2" for capturing GIR? "Stuff him in a sack". GIR's "Defense mode"? Jump into the sack.
- GIR escapes rather easily.Blue Alien: Now the other one's getting away!Green Alien: Oh look at him go.
- Later, after Zim and GIR leave:Blue Alien: I thought I told you to lock the escape hatch!Green Alien: Oh just because I didn't lock it's MYYYY fault it was unlocked is that what you're trying to say?!Blue Alien: That's what I'm saying yeah!
- Later, after Zim and GIR leave:
- The fact that the aliens are a delightful cameo from Squee for any JtHM and Squee! fans watching.
The Sad, Sad Tale of Chickenfoot
- "I thought you were one of those kids after me lucky neck meats. They're aaallllways after me lucky neck meats. Y'see me neck meats? They're lucky."
- "Wait! Come back! You're not a freak! You're just stupid!"
- "I WANT MY SLAW!" "YOU HAVE YOUR SLAW, SIR!" Truth in Television for anyone who's worked in fast food.
- Dib, while watching a show on paranormal activity, sees footage of a "horrible chicken monster", to which he says "That's not a monster! That's a guy in a Chicky-Licky suit! I can see the zipper!"
- Later on in the same episode, you get: "This here's a dirty chicken toy. Squeeze it, and it makes a noise. And its beak comes off as a grappling hook." "That's a..... weird thing for a chicken to do."
- In that same episode:Chickenfoot: I used to be a man, just like you. And I worked in a chicken restaurant, just like you.
Dib: I don't work in a chicken restaurant.
Chickenfoot: DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!
- The violin in the score slowly going sour as Chickenfoot's story continues.
- Bill's absolutely ludicrous theory on Chickenfoot:Bill: Chickenfoot is not a real chicken. He's a space chicken...from a planet where pig demons rule!
- The clerk eating potato wedges... out of the dishwashing bin.Cashier: Potatoes are bad!
Clerk: These potatoes are great!
Cashier: The potatoes are bad!
Clerk: These potatoes are wonderful!
Cashier: Dem potatoes are nasty and bad!
Clerk: These potatoes are the best potatoes in the world!
Cashier: They are not they are bad nasty bad potatoes!
GIR Goes Crazy and Stuff
- Zim's plan to taint the town's beef supply by pumping cows with sewage.Zim: As soon as I've tainted the humans' meat supply with filth, they will be ripe for conquest. Soon, the name of Invader Zim will be synonymous with DOOKIE!
- The whole training sequence with GIR's duty mode:
- I WILL MAKE YYY-oo-OO-uu SUFFER LARGE, AL-E-EEN!!
- ZIM trying to get GIR to stay focused using the new remote.GIR: Doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee dooooo!
ZIM: Attack! *cranks up the setting*
Duty!GIR: Yes sir! (In Serious Mode voice) Doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee doo dee!
...Duty!GIR: Sir, target is a hologram and therefore not a threat to our mission!
Zim: And what is our mission, GIR?
Duty!GIR: Blend in with the indigenous life, analyze their weaknesses, prepare the planet for the coming badness. Yay.
- "I have captured the enemy for meat-testing. Praise me! PRAISE MEE!"
- "I'd planned to spend this afternoon experimenting on the happiness centers of that Earth child's brain..."
- "I'm...so happy! All the time! Just great!"
- What makes this really funny is that according to the kid's shirt, his name is Nick.
- "I'm...so happy! All the time! Just great!"
- "You're in a filthy Earth-brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head!"
- This exchange:
- Squidman is a CMOF all by himself.
- From the DVD Commentary, after Squidman shoots ink, another crew member asks how he did it. Jhonen's response? "With his natural ink-shooting glands, of course."
- "The knowledge, it fills me! It is neat."
- The fact that when GIR says this, the image mainly focused on is a picture of an ape.
- "He's gettin' eaten by a shark!"
- GIR hallucinating that the cows turn into dancing weenies that say "Dance with us, GIR! Dance with us into oblivion!"
- "HI COW!"
- "GIR, bring me cowwwwww~"
- CURSE YOU, SNACKS! CURSE YOOOUUUUU!!!
Dib's Wonderful Life of Doom
- "Delicious. Delicious! I'M NORMAL!"
- This exchange:Dib: I'm not just gonna sit back and let Zim get away with his...his...THINGS HE DO! I mean...Gaz: Things he DO? What's your problem?
- While they're in the school cafeteria, Dib throws a muffin at Zim, who overreacts as usual:(Muffin hits Zim)
Zim: (looking everywhere) What?! Who?!
Gaz: (to Dib, both watching Zim from another table) That...that was horrible.
Zim: (grabbing the muffin) Who did this?!! (he jumps on the table) Who dares to soil my normal boy-head with this... PORK COW?!!
Random kid in the cafeteria: THAT'S A STINKIN' MUFFIN!
Zim: Silence!! Whatever this is, I will find the beast who threw it, I WILL FIND YOU!! Sleep peacefully now, for it is the last peaceful sleep you will KNOW FROM THIS MOMENT ON!
Another kid: But we're not asleep right now!
(There's a pause as the kids stare at Zim, then he yells like a lunatic and bursts through the doors.)
Dib: (chuckles) Wow.
Gaz: ...Actually, that was kinda funny.
- "It's been nice working with you, GIR, now self destruct."
- "FINALLY!" (cue giggling and poof sound)
- Gaz spits toast on Dib but the way she holds the toast looks like shes holding a cigar.
- Dib hosting the opening ceremony of the "Dib Institute of Paranomal Studies slash School of Paranormal Tolerance slash Museum slash Snack Bar".
- Near the end of his life, Dib looks back on how he accomplished everything he wanted to do and got to ride a moose. The interviewer chuckles fondly and says "Who could forget THAT day?"
- The very end of the episode where Zim discovers Dib had thrown the muffin at his head and kicks him out of his base.
- This exchange, likely a jab at viewers who insist that Dib's last name is Membrane.Sneaker Alien: Now, Dib... er, Dib.... whatever your last name is.Dib: (Assuredly) That's right.
- "I AM DIB!"
- "DIB D-DIB DIB DIB DIIIIIIIIB!!!!"''
TAK: The Hideous New Girl
- Dib: You can't do this! People will know somethings up. I mean look at this place, it's enormous!
Tak: The great thing about your people, Dib, is that most of them don't notice. All they see is another corporate venture, not a plan for world conquest!
Dib: Wait, is there really a difference?
(there is an explosion and Zim bursts through the wall)
Zim: It's over, Tak! The Earth is mine to devastate! ...and I already promised the moon to GIR.
Dib: Zim!? How'd you know we'd be here!?
Zim: I placed a tracking device on you.
Dib: Tracking device!? Where?
(Dib turns around revealing GIR has been on the back of his head the entire time)
GIR: Your head smells like a puppy!
- (Later, Zim and Dib argue over Mimi's memory disk.)
Zim: I'm the only one with the technology to decode the files!
Dib: And we're the only ones with the files to be decoded!
GIR: (trying to sound serious) AND I'M... hee, hee, hee, I dunno!
Dib: Your base, our disk, Zim. Let us see the base!
Zim: After we destroy Tak, I'm going to feed your brains to my robot!
GIR: YAY! BRAINS!
- GIR making Gaz dance.
- (sing-song) "Only if ya dance with meeee!"
- There's this little exchange:Zim: Yes, yes, so you blame me for your horrible life, blah, blah, blah, BIG DEAL!
Tak: This is about taking your mission, Zim, not revenge!
Zim: You're after revenge?!
Tak: NO! It's not about revenge! It's about taking what's rightfully mine. I should have been an Invader! I should have been part of the Great Assigning! I didn't HAVE to be stealing THIS planet from YOU!
Zim: [pause] YOU'RE AFTER MY ROBOT BEE!!
- This:Zim: My beautiful base!
Tak: Part TWO is...
Zim: No! My beautiful base! No!
Tak Part two is...!
Zim: NO! MY BEAUTIFUL BASE! NO!!
Tak: [struggling] Part... two... IS..!
Tak: ... Okay, I'm... okay, I'm leaving now.
Zim: [suddenly straight-faced] But you didn't tell me your plan.
- Tak's poem."For longer than I can remember, I've been looking for someone like youSomeone with a head like yours and a torso too.Birds sing and you're gonna pay. The end! HERE'S SOME MEAT COVERED IN BARBECUE SAUCE!" (throws meat at Zim)
- Ms. Bitters' reaction to Tak's poem:Ms. Bitters: Thank you Tak, that was horrible.
- Two words: Underground classroom.
- Tallest Red and Purple replacing themselves with puppets during a transmission with Zim. Purple's puppet gets its head punched off, which leads to this exchange:Tallest Purple: *Putting his own head where the puppet's was* Um...That's great Zim, sounds great. *Puppet arms flail wildly, and Tallest Red giggles* Don't worry, that's just my arms flailing and giggling- *Puppet arm punches him in the face'* STOP IT! *Puppet arm punches him in the face again* STOP IT!
- Tallest Red's reaction to finding out they do have another call waiting for them:Tallest Red: HEEEEEEEEEEY! We really do have another call.
- This small exchange:Zim: Oh no, despite his large head, the Dib-monkey is quite stupid.
Dib: MY HEAD'S NOT BIG!
- "This has nothing to do with jelly!"
- Zim: Computer!Computer: (exasperated) Whaaaaaaaaat....?
- The Tallests response to Zim's report on stopping Tak.Zim: You should have heard the lies she told about you. Well, all that matters is that Tak's evil snack plan was stopped.
(Beat as the Tallest glare at Zim)
Purple: Hey, I like snacks!
Red: He likes snacks, Zim!
Zim: (nervously) I know you do. I know.
Backseat Drivers from Beyond the Stars
- This episode is undoubtedly one of the funniest of the entire series, from the best Overly-Long Gag ever ("My Tallest! My Tallest! Hey! Hey! Hey! Over here! My Tallest!") to the Good News, Bad News inflicted on the Resisty ("And the good news?" "Well it's been replaced by a new, horrible one"), but the crowning moment is definitely Zim's Epic Fail at an insult:Zim: You're nothing, Earth boy! Go home and shave your giant head of smell with your bad self!
Dib: ...O-kay. There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.
- Dib's incredibly smug reminiscing about how he covertly planted a bug in Zim's lab during their Enemy Mine against Tak. Cut to the flashback of the actual event, which reveals that he simply made Zim look away by yelling at him to look at a garbage can while he planted an enormous Incredibly Obvious Bug that proceeded to loudly drill into Zim's equipment. Zim's oblivious admiration of the garbage can while Dib cockily watches the bug burrow into his lab seals the exchange:Zim: Yes, it is rather impressive, that can.
- Zim finds GIR face down in a pile of mashed potatoes.Zim: GIR! Get up! What do you think you're doing?!GIR: I made mashed po-tay-toes!Zim: Yes... and muffins!
- Robomom: "Hey! HEEYY! HEEY, EVERYONE!! HEEEYYY!!! Won't you come on over and help us EAT this little boy?!"
- "It's me! I was the turkey all along!"Zim: (stares) ...I was wondering what that turkey was doing there. GIR! I'm delaying the brain parasite plan for now! I want you to-
GIR: I was the turkey! MEEEE!
Zim: (nods sagely) Yes, so you were.
- Don't forget this priceless scene:Zim:(laughing) I said evil!
Professor Membrane: (from downstairs) Son! There had better not be any walking dead up there!
Dib: There's nothing to worry about dad! And I said I was sorry about that!
- And then of course there's the Tallest's lines when the Massive is about to crash into a star... "It's not so bad." "I think so too."
- What about the "Shrinky Self-Destruct"? Zim's about to crush Dib with a spaceship...only for it to shrink down to the size of a fly, then make a pitiful piff noise as it explodes. Cue crickets.
- Even the music shrinks.
- "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Heh, uh, I mean, EVACUATE THE SHIP!"
- "Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!"
- Pretty much everything that happens with the robot parents.
- "Come on, son! Let's go play in the toilet!"
- "How 'bout the PIRATE MONKEYS?! (Beat) S'an awesome name."
Tallest Purple: (after the resistance introduces themselves) That's a stupid name!
- Even better is the name they actually end up using: Resisty. Yes, their name for striking fear into the hearts of the Irken empire is Resisty. Best summed up here:
Lard Nar: D'oh, I told you it was stupid! Why do I keep listening to you!?
Spleenk: I don't know.
- The lead-in to that is gold. The Resisty present themselves to the Tallest as a shadowy Omniscient Council Of Vagueness. When Purple kills this by pointing out the stupidity of their name, the lights turn on to reveal the Resisty holding up cardboard cutouts.
- Mundane Utility: Dib's hair is good for zip lining.
- This entire exchange:Zim: Hah! Watch, Dib! Watch as I bring a royal audience to the downfall of the human race!Dib: I don't wanna watch that!Zim: Oh, okay. (Beat) Wait! that's too bad! Because mankind ends now! And to make it even sweeter, I'll land the Massive right on top of your landing pad-sized monster of a head, which is disturbingly large!!Dib: Nooo! Quit making fun of my head!
- The Tallest are absolute jerks, but look what they put up with: three hours of Zim not shutting up, their crowning flagship messily hijacked past several galaxies and through a star, and this joke of a resistance taking the chance to vandalize their hull in the process. And the cause of all this ridiculous nonsense?Purple: Yeah... I'm gonna make him hurt.
- Aaand then the vid chat reveals Zim's base in apocalyptic ruin, Gir shoveling mashed potatoes into his face, Robo-mom taking photos of Robo-dad while he's gnawing on the head of the kid they were trying to eat earlier, and Zim himself running around screaming about the hideous parasite on his head eating his brain. Complete with Scare Chord. Red can only gape in stupefied horror, while Purple declares that he's gonna throw up. Karma or justification for anything they at least do to Zim, (maybe Zim is their Karma?) this episode was epically hilarious.
Mortos der Soulstealer
- GIR: "I had a sammich in my head!"
- GIR looking into a pet store at some puppies and Zim dragging him away, declaring, "You can eat later!"
- And also Zim and Dib's yelled "conversation" across a street in this episode:Dib: ZIM!
Dib: You'll never get away with it!
Zim: THAT'S VERY NICE OF YOU!
Dib: No! Your plan! I'm going to stop you! I have a secret weapon!Zim: WHERE IS IT?Dib: *shifty eyes* Around!
- In meta context, it's arguably even funnier: apparently the scene was originally supposed to have cars driving down the street between the two, hence why Zim couldn't hear Dib properly, but when the animation came back from the studio, the cars weren't included in the scene. After viewing the resulting scene, everyone decided that the scene was funnier without the cars, since now Dib and Zim are screaming at each other across a street for no reason, so they decided to leave the mistake in the final cut.
- Zim and Dib are really a whole trove of wacky in that episode. Also memorable is:Zim: I am infecting this city with genetically enhanced vermin. But you'll never know!
Dib: You Just Told Me.
(Zim gives him an annoyed glare then...) YOU'RE LYING!!!!!!!
- GIR throwing a sandwich at Dib's head. He throws it so hard that it sends Dib flying through the air and crashing through the wall of the nearest building.
- It's actually fired out of GIR's head.
- "CAN IT PROTECT YOU FROM THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS?"
- Made even funnier by that random techno-stutter effect.
- Mortos' introductory speech when answering Dib's question on who he is.Mortos: Men hide behind furniture! Women spit loogies of terror! Animals void their bowels at the sight of Mortos der Soulstealer!
- Many of the scenes with Mortos qualify as Crowning Moments of Funny. Like the one at Mac Meatys
ZIM Eats Waffles
- The entire episode of "Zim Eats Waffles." Especially...Zim: "GIR, your waffles have sickened me! Fetch me the buckeeeet!"
- Zim: Look. They're going to start making artificial beavers.
Dib: HE'S AFTER OUR BEAVER TECHNOLOGY!
- Zim: Time to work on my next Evil Plan! To cripple the humans by destroying-
Gir: GUESS WHO'S MADE WAFFLES?!
Zim: I'm not going to eat tha-
**Gir starts crying**
Zim: ENOUGH!! I WILL TRY SOME ALREADY! *Zim eats waffles* Well... They don't appear to be making me sick. You know, this could be a good opportunity to get resistance to the humans' FILTHY food. Okay, Gir, I will try-
**Gir squees in delight and runs off screen**
Zim: -And as soon as I'm done with these 'waffles', I will discuss my EEEEVIL PLAN!
- Zim: "Hey, these aren't bad. What's in 'em?"
GIR: "There's waffle in 'em!"
Zim: (pause) "YOU'RE LYING!"
- Just the line "THE GIANT FLESH-EATING DEMON SQUID HAS ESCAPED!" You don't get to hear something like that every day.
- "THESE GOT PEANUTS AND SOAP IN THEM!"
- Zim: "Talking about my evil plan is making me tired. How about we have a moment of silence, huh?" (LONG Beat)
GIR: "I like... To make... Waffles.."
- When Dib's plan to contact the Swollen Eyeball Network falls through, he decides to call the FBI. If the fact that Dib apparently has the FBI's number on speed-dial isn't enough to make you laugh, then the fact that the operator has a giant lit-up marquee behind him that spells out "FBI" should do the trick.
- Followed by this gem of an exchange:FBI Agent: "Hey, you're Dib, right? Did you ever get that ninja ghost out of your toilet?"Dib: "Yeah, no thanks to you!"
- The FBI agent's response when the feed only shows him GIR and Nick eating waffles.FBI Agent: (chuckling) Man, that kid sure loves his waffles! Stay right there. We're sending someone over to beat you up for playin' jokes on the FBI!
- His original attempt at contacting the Swollen Eyeballs didn't fare any better, since they just got the same feed.Agent Darkbootie: You know, I once played a prank on Bigfoot by tying his toehairs together. It was very funny, until his insane fear and howling rage ended in tragedy for a family of campers...
- Followed by this gem of an exchange:
- There's something inherently funny about ZIM and GIR, who are usually screaming at the top of their lungs and destroying things, sitting around having a calm, completely normal conversation about "that ugly neighbor lady."
- "AHHHHHH, THE HIDEOUS MUTANT SQUID HAS ESCAPED AGAIN AND HAS CREATED AN ARMY OF CYBORG ZOMBIE SOLDIERS TO DO ITS EVIL BIDDING!!"
- "OH WOW, NOW ZIM AND THE ZOMBIES ARE EATING PIZZA!"
- "AGENT DARKBOOTIE!!! BOOOOTIEEEE!!!
The Girl Who Cried Gnome
- Moofy, the adorable but INSANE Girly Ranger that the episode centers around, refuse to buy her delicious Ninja Star cookies, you are screwed.
- "GAAAAH!! GIRL WITH COOKIES! GIRL WITH COOKIES!!!"
- Zim's robot parents offering the gathered crowd muffins, except instead of a tray of muffins, they're holding out a toilet.
- Later when Dib starts questioning why there's a large crowd gathered outside Zim's house to a civilian (who is actually Eric Truehart, the writer of the show), he gets this response:Eric Truehart: I don't know, but don't eat the muffins.
- Later when Dib starts questioning why there's a large crowd gathered outside Zim's house to a civilian (who is actually Eric Truehart, the writer of the show), he gets this response:
- The robotic gopher... just the robotic gopher after it appears in front of Moofy. Instead of doing what Zim tasked it to do, it just dances in front of her while Moofy is entertained, then it disappears into the portal in the sky.Zim: I.. don't remember programming that.
- When the Rescue Troopers try to rescue Moofy and a Gnome tips over on her softly, she screams so loud that the camera pulls back to reveal that she's being heard onboard the Massive and her screams blow up other Irken ships, which is orbiting another planet. The Tallest are shown looking up, trying to figure out where it's coming from.
- When Zim shows the President a brief video illustrating how his earth shaking machine works his animation even includes a few frames of the quakes causing the Earth to break apart. The president is completely unfazed by this and gives the plan the okay.
- The artist's rendition of the hero who saved the girl scout (Zim in a remarkably lazy disguise that has his face coming out of the costume's mouth). The artist was fully aware that the disguise was just a costume, but in place of Zim's face poking out of the mouth you see a perfectly average human man's.
- Dib making a "transaction" to support Moofy.
- Professor Membrane: Now, Gaz, if you could just put that can of beans in the proton oven! Be sure to take them out of the can or the explosion will destroy all human life!
Gaz: (A little later on in the episode) That didn't destroy all life as we know it. You LIED TO ME, DAD!
- Dibship trying to go to school. The inappropriately happy background music is what really sells it.
- Zim's response to seeing the Dibship for the first time.Zim: Dib's looking a little different this FILTHY Earth morning!
- The gym coach's speech at the beginning, which delves into either Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick or Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking depending on your interpretation:I have shown you the horrors of war! The despair of famine! Pictures of my birth!
- Dib asks the new guidance counselor at the Skool, Mr. Dwicky, what happened to the old counselor. The camera then slowly pans upward and a raspy voice from the air duct says "Help...meeeee..."
- Dib and Zim are about to face off in a dodgeball duel. We hear Dib's very serious internal monologue about facing his enemy in an epic battle of human versus alien. Cut to Zim's internal monologue.Zim, thinking: It's a size of a hippo, that head.
- Laer on, Zim's classmate says he's not an alien...he's just sick and ugly. When Zim later replies "Yes, I am normal. So NORMAL and UGLY am I!" his classmates actually smile cheerfully and nod their agreement.
The Voting of the Doomed
- One scene has Zim repeatedly stating "Vote for Zim or I'll destroy you." Dib notices this and exclaims "He's threatening the voters! He's disqualified, right?" In response, Miss Bitters snarls at Dib.
- Zim promises that when elected, he'll saw everyone's legs off. After everyone stares at him, he comes out of the gaffe by claiming to replace said legs with golden prosthetics and to also give everyone the ability to fire lasers from their head.The Letter M: I like gold!
Morla: I like my head!
- Willy thinking that Dib is a leprechaun.
- Knowing that Willy has no chance of winning the election due to being a completely vacuous idiot, Dib resorts to breaking a phone in half and putting half of it into Willy's ear while ordering Willy to repeat what he tells him in the other half.
- When Dib feeds lines to Willy to help him win, he almost loses the Skoolchildren by having Willy promise that Dib will be appreciated for the genius he is, but wins them back by having Willy promise to give everyone laser beam eyes and shoes that make everyone invisible.
- Willy undergoes conditioning after he becomes class president so he doesn't complain about the school's dirty bathrooms like the last class president did, which makes him more articulate in addition to speaking with a British accent.
Gaz, Taster of Pork
- GIR's only line in the episode. In the commentary, Rikki Simons notes that he was paid for a voiceover session that consisted of saying it a dozen times and going home:GIR: I GOT MONKEYS IN ME!
- Dib tries to get Zim to help him, pointing out that they worked together when they were both turning into bologna...a reference to an episode whose ending was firmly in Negative Continuity. Zim's response?Zim: YOU'RE MAKING IT UP!
- "There are no curses son." (Randomly contorts) "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!" (Immediately returns to normal)
- This scene:Gaz: I have a super horrible taste in my mouth. (belches in Dib's face)Dib: Oh my, no! (falls to the floor)Gaz: (sips glass of water and belches, she goes into her room like nothing happened)Dib: (he reaches out in disgust) Father, help me..
- Whats even funnier is that Gaz sounds like she is groaning when she burps. In the commentary, Melissa couldnt belch and so Gaz "belching" is mixed with burp sound effects.
- The kid when he tries an apple. After he bites it, he gives a huge victorious thumbs up because of how tasty it is.
- The Bloaty's Pizza commercial. "Bloaty hates his life..." *sobbing*
- "Everything taste like a pig... A PIG!"
- "I programmed them to feed... on human flesh!" (smiles villainously)
- The entire "Pig Girl" scene: Gaz goes through some sort of torture by the Membrane Labs scientists, followed by a scene of her as Pig Girl as a example of her humiliation.
- Also, Membrane has a interested look at Gaz when she is force-fed.
- " Y'know, pig is a really good taste!"
- Don't forget when the hobo kidnaps that random guy with the ice cream cone.
- The Shadowhog himself is made of win."I AM THE SHADOWHOG! WHAT IS IT YOU WANT FROM ME, CHILD WHO CONJURED ME AND CHILD WHO WAS BLESSED' WITH PIG'' SENSES.""The trial is over. Yay for you!"
- "Thenand only thenwill I stop talking to myself."
- One of the newspaper headlines say "THIS LITTLE PIGGY WENT... PSYCHO!".
- When Dib and Gaz teleport into the spell drive, a Membrane Labs security guard sees them teleport into it. His response:Guard: We're too late! They've transformed into a book... I TOLD THEM THIS WOULD HAPPEN!
The Frycook What Came from All That Space
- Dib's latest lecture on Zim is a little more blunt that usual.Dib: Zim is an alien! Why do I even have to try and prove it this much?!
- Zim escaping in a stolen Snacky Cab, minutes before an announcement is heard that all cabs not docked will "explode for no apparent reason." Cut to Zim, singing merrily to himself before his ship bursts into flames and sends him plummeting down to Earth, screaming.
- Sizz-Lor removes his battle armor and puts on his fry cook uniform... and Zim doesn't recognize him. Then Sizz-Lor puts his name tag on... and Zim still doesn't recognize him. Finally, he... puts his hat on! "SIZZ-LOR!!!"
- The montage of Zim's first shift as fry-cook. The highlight is Zim trying to unclog the most revolting-looking toilet toilet in fiction, only for the clog to be revealed as a giant hideous monster that eats Zim.
- The costume Zim is forced to wear.Sizz-Lorr: Now put on this Happy Shloogor costume and fill the customers with joy!Zim: But it's full of white hot grease!Sizz-Lorr: Makes you dance better!
- Which immediately segues into, "Hey all you people! I hope you're all having a wonderful time eating our life-sustaining matter! Yahoo! I'm so happy—OH IT HURTS SO BAD!!! THE GREASE!!!"
- Sizz-Lor telling Zim that Eric, the blob guy, is their best customer "cuz he's a blob."
- Dib and GIR dancing, accompanied by squeaky noises and the Tallests watching from a video screen in the background.
- "Snacky Cab station is now closed! Any cabs not docked will explode for no apparent reason!"
- Sizz-Lorr captures Zim and blasts offDib: Did anybody else see that?!
- When Zim flashes back to why he was originally exiled to Foodcourtia, we get a scene where Zim runs off after seeing a news report on the impending invasion, and Sizz-Lor comes in right afterwards, swearing to hunt him down no matter where he goes.Zim: Iunno...
- When Dib comes by looking for Zim, he's drinking a slurpee, and GIR gleefully snatches it out of his hand, and starts drinking it.Dib: Yeah okay, you can have that.
Dib: You're going to contact his masters?! Hey, can I come along?GIR: OKIDOKI!
- When Dib mentions Zim, GIR remembers that he was supposed to contact the Tallest and tell them that Zim got kidnapped. He also shows once again just how useful he is as a guard.
- When Zim complains that another worker gets to leave the restaurant without blowing up, Sizz-Lor responds, "I hired him! You're here as punishment for almost destroying our civilization!" "Am I the only one who is impressed by that?"
- How Zim escaped from Foodcourtia the first time: by literally just walking out the back door.
- When Zim was being sentenced to exile for ruining Operation Impending Doom, he takes offense pointing out he "Blew up more than any other Invader." Tallest Red corrects him saying he BLEW UP all the other Invaders. Zim takes it as a compliment.
- Sizz-Lor rants about how he was stuck for 20 years on Foodcourtia due to the Foodening, a mad lunch rush that traps everyone on the planet for the duration due to the increase in gravity, and had to work alone because of Zim's desertion. A confused Zim points out he hasn't been gone that long and Sizz-Lor gives a Hand Wave about time travel being involved.
- Dib interupts GIR's "distress call" to The Tallest about Zim being taken to Foodcourtia, and tries to interogate them about the Irken homeworld. They're too distracted by the size of his head to respond.
- Zim ranting about his community service at Shloogor's.Zim: Can you believe that?! Of course you can't! I hate this place! And the mission! My precious MISSIOOON! Whaddabout that, huh? GIMME SOME'A THOSE! So... (talking with a mouthful of fries) I say, "You want some'a this?" And she says, she says right back at me, she says-
- When Zim finally returns to his base, he arrives to find... Dib and GIR dancing with the Tallest watching over Zim's communicator. What makes this even funnier is that the last we saw of Dib and GIR, Dib was trying to interogate the Tallest, and there's no explanation how things went from that to... this!
Purple: Who's that large-headed kid?Red: I don't know... but his head IS large!Dib: Uh, hello, alien scum?! Gimme your planets coordinates!
- Not to mention the Tallest were so distracted by the size of Dib's head to react to why there was a random human in Zim's base.
Zim: Hey! Get Out!. GET OUT OF THE HOUSE OF ZIM!! *begins chasing Dib all over the living room*
- Not to mention Zim's reaction when he finally gets home.
The Most Horrible X-mas Ever
- Even though it's likely due to an animation coloring error, but the fact that it appears Membrane doesn't wear pants underneath his labcoat, is pretty funny.
- For the voice of Mr. Sludgy, the storytelling robot snowman, Fred Tatasciore does a fantastic Burl Ives impression.Bow down, bow down
Before the power of Santa
Or be crushed, be crushed
By his jolly boots of doom!
- "I don't get it! Why does Zim want to take over the Earth so BADLY? I mean, what does he have to gain? or to LOOOSE? And the mechanizations of this malfunctioning Santa suit COMPLEEETELY ELUUUUDE ME!"
- Then the robot snowman shoves him under the bed without a second thought. "As I was saying..."
- Most likely unintentional, but the fact that the child sounds exactly like a younger version of Archibald Asparagus, both in their accent and personality, is pretty funny.
- Professor Membrane: Friend of Mankind, Enemy of Santa Claus.
- GIR telling the Mall Santa what he wants for ChristmasGIR: I wants me a barrel of flies. I wants me two balls of food to be my friends! And I wants to go dancin'... NAKED!Jump Cut to some time later. GIR is still going and the Santa looks ready to snap.GIR:...And a chair made of cheese and a table made of cheese and...
- During the news report on "Santa's" return:Woman: My heart explodes with joy!
- Even when talking to himself, Zim can't help but inflate his own ego."But I made the suit too smart, because I'm amazing."
- Dib escapes from the "Jingle Jail" with candy-cane bars.Zim: Seize him! And put him in the actually strong jingle jail this time!Dib: Why didn't you put me in the real one in the first place?Zim: SILENCE! YOU COULD NOT HOPE TO COMPREHEND MY INGENIOUS PLANS!
- The santa suit is jettisoned into space, and returns to earth millenia later as an Eldritch Abomination they appease with a city-sized tray of milk and cookies.Mr. Sludgy: But Zim and Dib were wrong that day. Santa wasn't destroyed. Santa lives on.Little Girl: In the hearts and minds of us all?Mr. Sludgy: No! In space! Gathering power! And that's why we all live in this protective dome. Raise the shields, children! Santa has returned!
- Even funnier, when the gigantic Santa monster attacks Earth, the machine which raises the shield also produces a giant glass of milk with cookies which Santa briefly stops his assault to eat.
- Professor Membrane's flashback revealing that he hates Santa because he got an assload of socks for Christmas instead of the 12 cases of Uranium-238 he wanted.Young Membrane: No! Santa has let me down! I will turn my back on him and devote a portion of my life to destroying Santa!
[unproduced episode] Mopiness of Doom
- GIR: Listen to me, he needs you Mary [Dib]! You two good friends! Like hot dogs! Please hunt my Master again! COUCH!"
- Zim: (after Dib returns from his 10-Minute Retirement) You have no idea how happy that makes me, you revolting little worm!Dib: It's over, ZIM! There's nowhere left for you to hide!
ZIM: What about my house?
Dib: Oh, yeah, I guess you can hide there...HEY WAIT! NO! Stay where you are!
ZIM: Or what, you're gonna stop me with your oven mitt?
Dib: It's not an oven mitt, you lizard, it's a genuine freezing talisman. There's no way you'll escape its power.
ZIM: Your loony "PARA-CHUTING" powers don't scare me, Dib. All it does is make you look stupid!
Dib: It's para-NORMAL, and you're wrong, it makes me look cool!
- In the live reading, Richard Steven Horvitz is hilariously expressive with his Zim puppet, and near the end, Andy Berman, who hadn't touched his puppet since it started, puts it on as Zim and Dib reunite as enemies, and then have the puppets kiss.
- Even better is that Eric told Andy to put the Dib puppet on after getting pecked on the cheek by the Zim puppet, knowing full well where that was heading.
[unproduced episode] The Trial
- Tallest Purple: But some Irkens, they get fitted with damaged I.D. PAKs. These people are called "Defectives" and must be deactivated, erased, never to be remembered.
Smeet Timmy: Thank you mista' PURPLE! I SMART NOW!
Tallest Purple: The child knows too much. TO THE DUNGEONS WITH IT!
- Anything GIR does in this episode. Up to and including him apparently taking over Earth in an Ironic Echo Cut:GIR: "MONKEY?! DON'T LEAVE ME MONKEY!
- The prelude in the live script reading.Membrane: I have just perfected quantum split technology. I can now exist in six places at once!
- And:Gaz: Stories are stupid.
Membrane: And this is the stupidest one yet!
- On the discovery that Zim was directly responsible for Almighty Tallest Miyuki's untimely demise:Control Brain: This is a horrible discovery, not to be taken lightly. Now, let's break for lunch!
[unproduced episode] Nubs of Doom
- Zim: (to Minimoose) If I were capable of love, I might actually love you, maybe!
[unproduced episode] Ten Minutes to Doom
- Dib: IT'S NOT A SHIRT! It's taking over my inferior human mind! You have to analyze it! I'm sure you'll be amazed.
- Dib's encounter with Screamy. Voiced by Rodger in the live script reading.Screamy: HI DIB! HOW YA DOIN'?!
- Gaz riding Zim like a horse to get past the guards.
[unproduced episode] Return of Keef
- GIR: You just gotta give him a chance, and open up his head and sleep in it like a squishy little bed.
- Zim and Dib pretend to play patty cake for Keef. Neither of them seem to know the words. Zim sings the Alphabet song incorrectly while Dib's lyrics seem to trail off to a list of baked goods.Zim: A, B, C, D, 8, 9, 11, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, 6, 5, D, L, M...Dib: (overlapping) Patty cake, patty cake, bakers dozen, cupcakes, baked goods and muffins, patty cake, patty cake, yes, yes, and no...
- Just the fact that, given the premise of Keef trying to get Zim and Dib to become friends, this whole episode as well as the comic issue (#50) based off of it can be seen as a Take That! to the shipping portion of the fandom.
[unproduced episode] Invader Poonchy
- Zim finds GIR's dog suit filled with beef, not knowing it to be a decoy. His reaction is priceless.Zim: OH, GIR! GIIIIR! THEY'VE TURNED YOU INTO GROUND BEEF! HOW? WHY?????GIR: Fooled you! (Giggles)
- Arguably the entirety of the commentary tracks on the DVDs could be considered a CMOF.
- Courtesy of the commentary for "The Nightmare Begins":
- fan-made Invaders in Invader Zim fanart or fanfiction, he wants to personally drive to the artist/author's house and inform them that they're wrong and those characters don't exist in canon. Made even better by Vasquez lamenting that the only reason he doesn't do this is because he doesn't know their addresses. According to Jhonen Vasquez, whenever he sees
- Jhonen Vasquez: Oh, by the way? Whenever you see anything good, dialogue-wise? It's me.
- The Running Gag where Horvitz repeatedly does horrible celebrity impressions, all of which were supposedly his previous voices for Zim. He also then wails about how he has to keep doing these since the series was cancelled and he needs to use these impressions on his resume.
- "Rodger Bumpass, ladies and gentlemen."
- While GIR is being created by the Almighty Tallest, Richard Horvitz asks Rikki Simons if he remembers his first line as GIR:Rikki Simons: I don't even know anymore.
Jhonen Vasquez: The first thing Rikki said was... ummm...
Rikki Simons: (interrupting) "Where's my paycheck?"
- Rikki Simons begs people to stop asking him to sing the Doom Song if they encounter him in an elevator.
- Jhonen Vasquez's incredibly offhand remark claiming that the series was originally going to be live-action and Zim would've been a giant piece of bologna flying through the air.
- Richard Horvitz jokingly invoking Hilarious in Hindsight after reading the script for the scene where Zim's base is constructed on Earth: "This was the first segment where I thought, like, 'This show could go at least 26 episodes.'"note
- The utter glee the crew has over the series' first use of monkey and squirrel sounds heard with background characters when Zim introduced to the class.
- "America loves GIR!" "But ya know, America hates Dib!"
- the Roboparents being underutilized:Danielle Koenig: Jhonen, did you kind of give up on the Roboparents?
Jhonen Vasquez: No! No, we just forgot about them! This exchange near the end of the commentary, when Danielle Koenig starts ribbing Jhonen over
- Richard Horvitz: (sees Professor Membranes communicator) Is that his iPod?
- The cast and crew totally losing it over the bottomless coffee cup in "Battle of the Planets".
- Most of the "wacky" introductions are priceless, like the crew snoring through the opening and then "waking up" when the episode starts or chewing noisily on junk food as they introduce themselves. A good one in particular, however, is the whispering one. It starts:Jhonen: (whispering) Hi, I'm Jhonen Vasquez, creator of Invader Zim, to my left is Richard Horvitz, voice of Zim.
Richard: (whispering) Hi, I'm Richard Horvitz, voice of Zim. To my left is Jhonen Vasquez, and to my right is Rikki Simons, colorist and voice of GIR.
Rikki: (whispering) Hi, I'm Rikki Simons, colorist and voice of GIR, to my left is Jhonen Vasquez and Richard Horvitz, to my right is...
- It goes straight into Overly-Long Gag territory, seeing as there's about seven people on the track, but circles back into being funny again when Danielle Koening (story editor) forgets to whisper, jarring the almost certainly despondent audience and everyone else starts yelling at her for killing the gag.
- Some commentaries open with the crew explaining that they've been doing the recordings shacked up in an abandoned house, rapidly running out of food, for at least 800+ days. "Andy's gone." "We ate Andy." "It doesn't matter, though, because America hates Andy." is one of the best exchanges to come out of this gag. (Oh, don't worry — he gets better.)
- The Running Gag about the show being cancelled because it was too successful.
- Courtesy of the commentary for "The Nightmare Begins":
- Zim's Giant Ego is probably one of the definitive CMOF traits of the show. Even though he is a complete failure as a human and an Irken, his super inflated ego blinds him into constantly believing he is the single greatest being in the universe, which makes his character so stupidly hilarious to watch. For example, in the episode "Walk For Your Lives," Zim's plan to get rid of a gigantic slow-moving explosion is to simply speed it up and and have it explode like normal. While his computer and even GIR(?!) warn him against doing so, Zim nonetheless carries this out because in his mind, all of his ideas are genius. "I AM ZIM!"
- Another hilarious example of this: Despite the fact that Zim is supposed to blend in with everyone on Earth, he still cannot restrain himself in announcing to everyone that his Irken species is so much better than theirs. See below this amazing scene from "Lice":Zim: I'd just like to say that if I were a member of an alien race — Which I'm not! (jerkily looks back and forth in suspicion) — I'd have to take this opportunity to say: Filthy Earth creatures! It is clear who the superior species is!! Isn't it?! Isn't it?! You stink!
- Another hilarious example of this: Despite the fact that Zim is supposed to blend in with everyone on Earth, he still cannot restrain himself in announcing to everyone that his Irken species is so much better than theirs. See below this amazing scene from "Lice":
- Jhonen Vasquez voicing the computer:Computer: PROCESSING, PROCESSING!!
Zim: I don't pay you to contradict me!
Computer: You don't... pay me at all.
Zim: ...And why was my computer coughing?
- Anything and everything Professor Membrane says. Rodger Bumpass is a voice acting comedy goldmine. Special mention must be given to his amazing Establishing Character Moment in "The Nightmare Begins", though: "Not now, son. I'm MAKINNNNNG... (dramatically electrocutes something) TOAST!"
- Virtually anything stated by Eric Trueheart during the "The Writers of Zim" interview conducted with the show's writing staff could be counted here.I can now write for both non-living things and living things. It's all the same. There's no difference.
So, they were all like "Well, we can't find anyone capable of writing for this show because, y'know, Jhonen is insane..."
And after 18 weeks, they finally brought me on and said they'd actually pay me, so I didn't have to keep stealing bagels to survive. So, y'know, it was pretty good.
America hates Dib.
In all honesty, the characters did evolve over time. I think Zim became a lot more Canadian.
We originally wanted Ricardo Montalbán to be the voice of Chickenfoot, but he was not available. There, there was no Montalban available.
I found it difficult to exclude pig humor. Pig jokes and burrito jokes somehow crept into everything we wrote. It was like a virus crawling all over your scripts...
- The Nickelodeon comic. All◊ four◊ pages◊ of◊ it.
- At Rikki Simons' "Rikki Simons on GIR" Q&A panel at Shutocon 2013.Q: What was GIR's reaction to the show's cancelation?
Rikki Simons: Um, GIR didn't have a reaction. Because he was canceled.
- GIR auditions for American Idol.
- From the Q&A at Connecticon 2014: