While he started out doing piano renditions of Nintendo songs on YouTube, it wasn't until his "What if Mega Man 3...Had Lyrics?" video that he got his big break. After gaining a small cult following, he rose to further fame with deal to feature some of his videos on ScrewAttack. This landed him his very first concert and an album, "What if this CD...Had Lyrics?"
What if this page... Had examples?:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Deconstructed in "Sewer Surfin' With Lyrics", which goes into great detail about why living in a sewer doesn't make any sense.
- Adopt the Food: In the song "Baby Mario & Papa Yoshi", Yoshi finds Baby Mario and expresses interest in eating him. However, he's too full, so he tries to give him to his friend, Yellow. When Yellow tells him that he's too sick to eat anything, Yoshi decides to keep and raise Baby Mario instead as he's started to grow attached to the baby (plus the dirty diaper made him lose his appetite).
- All Germans Are Nazis: In his "Mega Man Boss Interviews" video, Top Man says he wanted to be named Dreidel Man but the German Dr. Wily wouldn't let him. Also, in the "Civilization with Lyrics" video he thinks making Judaism the official religion of Germany is sufficient for creating "Jewish Nazis."
- A Winner Is You: "Classic Ending Credits with Lyrics" is an extended musical rant about this trope.
- Back-Alley Doctor: Dr. Mario got his degree "by watching House and Scrubs and ER."
- Badass Beard: The man himself.
- Badass Boast:
Simon/Brentalfloss: Dracula/I am backula/To lay the smacula/Like great-grandpa Trevor
- The entire Castlevania with Lyrics song is this, sung from Simon Belmont's point of view.
You're gonna die!/I'll tell you why!/Bubbles! Bubbles!Bubble Man: Ah, Mega Man, you've finally arrived, have at you! dewdewdewdew
- One song on his first album is sung from the point of view of Bubble Man is one big ironic Badass Boast.
- Bait-and-Switch: His album "Bits of Me" got so much leak circulation that, well, he decided to take care of things his own way...he decided to recruit his friends to Bait-and-Switch listeners into thinking this was the real thing, when all they should do is buy the album! You can definitely expect all instances of Musicalis Interruptus, Letting the Air Out of the Band, and Record Needle Scratch to happen recurrently with this "album."
- Bald of Awesome: Him.
- Boastful Rap: The Thief With Lyrics song is one of these from Garret's point of view. Hilariously, it's also one of the songs most accurate to the original rhythm.
- Bring My Brown Pants: In "Kirby With Lyrics", Brent pretty much advises you do this so Kirby won't think you're tasty.
- Brick Joke: Duck Butt Lollipop in the comic.
- Broken Base:
Brentalfloss: If you won't disavow...Dave: Listen to your heart...Brentalfloss: This, your sacredest cow.Dave: If you still know how...Both: I don't care 'cause / Either way... this ends noooow! (grab each others' shirts and ready blows)
- The central subject of "What if Super Mario Land Had Lyrics?". On one side, you have collaborator Dave Bulmer who praises the game for setting the trend of handheld platformers and handheld gaming in general, while on the other, you have Brent arguing that the game simply hasn't aged well.
- The central subject of "What if Ocarina of Time Had Lyrics?". On one side, you have Dave who boasts about the game taking the next step in graphics, presentation, and gameplay. On the other hand, you have Brent who hates the 3D graphics (especially in comparison to Super Mario 64), the awkward changes to the gameplay, and how the step 'up' to 3D ruined the classic formula perfected in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
- Butt-Monkey: In most of the pages in the Brentalfloss comic.
- "Super Mario Land With Lyrics" has Dave calling Brent a "son of a taint", which is a call back to Brent's much earlier "Mega Man 2 With Lyrics", and Dave asking Brent "Key change, mofo?", a call back to "Final Fantasy With Lyrics".
- The "Mega Man 2 Title With Lyrics" describes Mega Man as "blue and cyan", which was also a line in "Mega Man 3 With Lyrics"
- The Cameo:
- Got one in a Nostalgia Chick video, of all things.
- Appeared (as a Special Guest) along with much of the That Guy with the Glasses reviewers in a Nostalgia Critic review for Moulin Rouge!, and would later return in the Critic's review of Les Misérables (2012).
- Appeared in the Critic's review of Baby Geniuses 2, and as a member of the chorus in Paw's review of Dr. Horrible.
- Cameoed in Paw's review of The Muppet Christmas Carol.
- Inverted when That Guy with the Glasses contributed one of the tracks to "Bits of Me (Pirated Edition)".
- He appeared as Mr. Clean in Jontron's review of Foodfight!
- Paw, Elisa, Jontron, Andre the Black Nerd and DJ Cutman all attempt to buy from his Wii Shop Channel.
- He appears as Toad in Duane and BrandO's Super Mario Bros 3. song.
- Frequent collaborator 'Demon Tomato' Dave Bulmer makes an appearance at the end of Super Mario Land 2 With Lyrics as a Call-Back to the SML 1 video (where they agreed that 6 Golden Coins was flat-out better).
- Camp Gay:
- Captain Obvious: The opening of 'Contra with lyrics'.OhmyGodIfellintoajungleandit'sscary!
- Catch Phrase: "Key change, mofo" has popped up in enough songs to count as one.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: The Roommate Song.
- Cluster F-Bomb: A staple of his discography. Though he has his limits, such as in the comments to "Ducktales: The Amazon with lyrics" which when a fan asked why he called DuckBurg "SuckTurd" instead of "FuckBurg" he said he didn't want to overdo it.
- Comically Missing the Point: InLimbo With Lyrics:
- Continuity Nod: Towards the end of the Star Fox Space Oddity video, Scrooge McDuck can be seen floating past in space, referring back to the DuckTales Moon Theme video.
- Cultured Badass: Mega Man, according to Mega Man 2 With Lyrics:"Blue and cyan / Likes Chopin / And Rodin / Mega Man!" note
- Darker and Edgier: His Kirby song depicts Kirby as a monster who is going to eat every human being and steal their souls.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: The subject of a video he made ranting about how the X Button has been in different positions on various controllers.
- Disproportionate Retribution: President Obama revokes Brent's citizenship for disliking Ocarina of Time.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: Bubbleman has a "spiky aquarium OF DOOM".
- Early Installment Weirdness: His earlier videos tend to use more official art and screenshots rather than Brentalfloss himself dressing and acting up as characters.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Word of God says that the line "Fuck your mom and sister too" in Mega Man 3 "Game Over" With Lyrics (a "The Reason You Suck" Speech given by a singing cartridge of Mega Man 3) is "not encouraging incest; rather, it's saying a big 'fuck you' to your mom and your sister. Mega Man 3 may be a dick when you get a game over, but I don't think he's THAT kind of 'mo-fo'."
- During the "Don't Troll a Troll" video, Brent has the courtesy to censor the troll's name and refrain from showing his Facebook page, so as to prevent exposing him to the attacks of Brent's entire fanbase.
- Evil Laugh: At the end of "Ke$ha Plays Majora's Mask", devolving from girlish giggling.
- Eye Scream: In Super Mario Land 2 with Lyrics, Mario claims that the crane grabbed his eyeball, followed by screams of pain and bleeped-out swearing. After it deposits him on the ground, he goes on to say, "Great, I'm blind now!"
- Fantastic Aesop: "The moral of the fable is do not eat a baby, 'cuz he'll become your friend one day, maybe!" Not to say it's a bad lesson in general, only that it's one with much more relevance in the Yoshi community.
- Farts on Fire: The "Baby Mario & Papa Yoshi" video has Baby Mario give Yoshi a flaming fart to the face after touching a Fire Flower.
- Flawed Prototype: In "Super Mario Sunshine With Lyrics", after he points out that Fludd's nozzle has a spike located directly on it's back near Mario's head, an exasperated Dr. E. Gadd pops up and yells "That was just a prototype!"
- Freeze-Frame Bonus:
- There's a part in the "Kirby with Lyrics" video where a crowd is running away from Kirby in fear. Most of them are cosplayers, and pausing the video allows you to see a lot of characters are being cosplayed (Luffy, Law, Ash, Misty, Cloud...).
- In the Ocarina of Time With Lyrics video, among the angry tweets flooding in after Brent disses The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, there is one from President Obama telling him that his citizenship has been revoked.
- Fridge Horror: In-Universe example, the "Sewer Surfin'" video is entirely about Brent's realization that the Ninja Turtles live in a sewer and thus are surrounded by feces."All right, Sewer Surfin'. Wait a minute, SEWER SURFIN'? That's GROSS! Oh my GOD!"
- Funny Background Event:
- In "Baby Mario & Papa Yoshi", you see Yoshis dropping baby Wario in a cook-pot in the background at one point.
- In "Ocarina of Time With Lyrics", one of the angry tweets in response to his disparaging tweet about Ocarina of Time is "I can't believe I ever wrote slash about you and Link! #Disappointed".
- Gasshole/Fartillery: Bubbleman (who had chipotle for lunch): "Bubbles full of poo-poo gas/How else could anybody weaponize a bubble?/Poison bubbles from my ass..."
- Go Mad from the Revelation: "Bubble Bobble with Lyrics" slowly grows more insane from the player's perspective until the very end.
- Godwin's Law:
"Kirby's anti-semitic,and hungry as hell.He likes kids who eat kosher the best."
- The "Kirby With Lyrics" video describes Kirby as anti-semitic, and shows a picture of Kirby dressed as Hitler.
- Gratuitous Japanese: His Super Mario Bros. With Lyrics April Fools video. Japanese lyrics, English subtitles.
- Happily Adopted: Mario, by Yoshi in "Baby Mario & Papa Yoshi".
- Hidden Depths: Black Mage's verses in Ballad of the Mages starts as a rap about how people don't understand that Dark Is Not Evil, and despite their assumptions about him based on him being a Black Mage, he wants love and a family. He then launches into a pleading heartfelt ballad.I'm just a lonely Black MageRelegated to the back stageThere's so much I wish you knewSo that maybe, you'd see I'm just like you.
- Hitler Ate Sugar: In Super Mario Land with Lyrics, Dave praises the game by calling it a "technical marvel", to which Brent replies, "Yeah, but so was the cotton gin!"note
- Hype Backlash: Brought up at the start of What if Super Mario Sunshine had Lyrics? where Brent brings up how he had told Dave that Sunshine is the best Mario game during their What if Super Mario Land had Lyrics? video. He then reveals that he only heard the game was great until he actually started to play it. The whole song is about Brent pointing out all the flaws and annoying quirks of the game. He concludes with that the game isn't exactly horrible, but it's not his #1 game and others can still love the game if they liked it.
- "I Want" Song: "Ballad of the Mages": The Red Mage wants to be the best at both swordplay and magic, the White Mage wants some praise, and the Black Mage wants people to stop judging him by the color of his... magic.
- Intentional Engrish for Funny: The English subtitles for his "Super Mario Bros. With Lyrics" song.
- Just for Pun: The name of his third "With Lyrics" album, Flossophy.
- Just One More Level: "Bubble Bobble with Lyrics" mentions the trope name almost verbatim in the second verse.I'll just play one more round of executin' everything I see
Grab a dead bad guy banana, and then hey, I'm in round three!
Woah, I just got a bubble bonus and my points are goin' strong
Maybe I'll just play a little more - I'm sure it's not that long
- Konami Code: This forms the chorus of the "Contra with Lyrics" song.
- List Song: The Game Over tinies, in which he sings about video game characters dying in different ways, from A to Z (Aerith, Bowser, Crono, Dhalsim, Ecco...)
- Lyrical Dissonance:
- One of his songs takes the upbeat, energetic tune from the Mega Man 3 game over screen... and sets it to a "The Reason You Suck" Speech directed at the player, with lines like "You're a sack of putrid shit! Dig a hole! Jump in it!". Lampshaded by the introduction: "Sure, the "game over" music from Mega Man 3 sounds happy. But did you ever get the feeling that the game was just being a dick?"
- In "The BioShock Song", a carefree jazz number about the many horrifying things that can happen to you in Rapture.
- Limbo with Lyrics is a fun reggae song about the main character's predicament. Which is, needless to say, horrendous.
- "Kirby with Lyrics" mostly has the normally cheerful Green Greens theme while Brent sings about how much of a monster the little guy is. Justified in that it was done as a Halloween video.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: The guy can do an excellent impersonation of Cartman (from his Final Fantasy IV Love theme song), Homestar Runner (from the G-Rated version of aforementioned song), and Mike Tyson (from his Punch-Out!! song), as well as Falco, Peppy, and Slippy
- Modesty Shorts: In Zelda II With Lyrics while cosplaying as Link.
- Mondegreen: Possibly invoked in "Earthbound with Lyrics", which contains a line that could be heard as "some other game" or "some Mother game", both of which would make sense in the context of the song.
- Motor Mouth: His cover of the Banjo-Kazooie main theme is currently the closest he has ever got to "Hardware Store" in the "impossible to sing" territory.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: "Bubble Bobble With Lyrics" includes a line that reassures the listener that "this game was real".
- Not That There's Anything Wrong with That: In The Truth About Toad song, Brent spends the whole song on how Toad is actually gay, but he still likes him regardless. In a more comedic tone, he proclaims in Mario Paint with Lyrics that the game feels like "an art class where you don't feel gay" and then awkwardly attempts to say there's nothing wrong with it.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: His "Gregorian Chant style" cover of the Super Mario Bros. theme.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: As shown in this video, Brentalfloss was holding a small online auction where he was selling his stuff and would use the money to help him and his girlfriend move into a better apartment. One of the things he offered to sell was a 30 minute phone call between him and the buyer and he set the starting bid at 99 cents. At the end of the day, the winning bid was over $800, but Brentalfloss wasn't paid for days and after finally getting a response from the bidder, said bidder bluntly stated he would refuse to pay him. Brental Floss looked up the bidder's profile and other info and discovered that the bidder was a 15 year old Brony with a Facebook account. After getting the kid's phone number, Brent's girlfriend called the troll and pretended to be a representative claiming that the kid won a contest and had won a bunch of prizes related to My Little Pony. After getting the troll's hopes up, the phone was passed over to Brent who then gleefully called the troll out.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: For Björk, apparently.
- Precision F-Strike: Sometimes, the F Bombs can come in small numbers despite Brent's usual reliance on large groups of swears. Case in point:
- In the Ocarina of Time video, Brent calling Dave a "limey fuck".
- Running Gag: "Key change, mofo!"
- Save Scumming: Played with in his "Phoenix Wright with Lyrics" video.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: Discussed in "Mario Paint with Lyrics" where he mentions that the fact that the game came with a mouse was, "A big deal back then."
- Self-Deprecation: The Trojan condom Brentalfloss mentions in his aforementioned rendition of Terra's theme is literally said to be "extra small, extra small".
- In "Ballad of the Mages", Brent plays Fighter (the mages being puppets), has no lines (since it's the ballad of the mages, duh) and is portrayed as a stupid meat-shield.
- At the end of Super Mario Land 2 With Lyrics, the lyrics claim Wario as a "small balding elf man". Brent's face switches with Wario's a few times.
- Sequelitis/First Installment Wins: Invoked in Mega Man 2 With Lyrics:"See, 3 was good,
and 4 was pretty good...
and 5 and 6 were okay
but 7 sucked big dinosaur balls!"
- Serious Business: Brentalfloss and DemonTomatoDave keep getting into musical arguments over classic games. In the Ocarina of Time video Brent even goes all the way to England to pick a fight with Dave!
- Shout Out: Once did one to That Guy with the Glasses with "Metroid In 5 Seconds"."Must restore peace! Must escape! Peace in the universe is once again restored...HOLYCRAPIMAGIRL!!!"
- He managed to combine it with Fridge Brilliance! In the G-rated version Brantalfloss did of his "Zelda with lyrics" song, he replaced the idea of "Link being rewarded with sex" for "Link being rewarded with cake". Since Princess Peach is always promising Mario cake, it's become a Meme that "Cake" is a G-rated codeword for sex. All and all, he is simply using the G-Rated idea of sex in his G-rated song about sex.
- "The Game Over Tinies" has the line "everyone gets one eventually" in its chorus, which used to be Youtube user GameOverContinue's Catch Phrase/slogan/motto. The video itself is a parody of Edward Gorey's morbid The Gashlycrumb Tinies, set to music.
- "Just One Duck" features several cameos from other Internet celebrities, some of whom are dressed as other Capcom characters like Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Phoenix Wright, Maya Fey, Dr. Wily, Proto Man...
- "Phoenix Wright With Lyrics" starts with a shout of "MORAL KOMBAT!"
- In "Ballad of the Mages" the Fighter being seen as a idiot, could be a shout-out to "8-Bit Theater"
- "Ke$ha Plays Majora's Mask" includes the lyric "Time Travel like Doc Brown (Brown)":Emmett L. Brown: 88 miles per hooooouuurrrr!!!
- The video for the Bioshock Infinite Song features a split-screen shot of each of Brent's recordings of the individual vocals for the song, an obvious shout-out to Smooth McGroove. To make the homage even more obvious, his dog shows up in one of them.
- "Zelda II With Lyrics" has a stealthy one in the first section:"There will be rats (radical rats!) with boomerangs"
- The second part of "Ocarina of Time With Lyrics" features a Counterpoint Duet that sounds a lot like "The Confrontation" from Les Misérables. The scene and its shot composition, in particular, seem to be based on the 2012 film adaptation.
- "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out With Lyrics" features the lyric, "Tyson stole my bike!"
- Small Name, Big Ego:
- An essential part of his Brentalfloss character. He used to end every video with "subscribe, mofos." As of now, however, "mofo" still borders on Verbal Tic.
Dr. Mario: Take it, Floss!
- During the Brentalween series, he carved his own face into a pumpkin. That is, he carved a pumpkin to look like his face. Not the other thing.
- In the lyrics to "Dr. Mario with Lyrics":
(Piano solo by a handsome bald man)
- "A Link to the Past With Lyrics" paint that game's Link as this.
- Something Completely Different: Occasionally, instead of putting lyrics to video game music, he'll put new lyrics about video games to songs that already have lyrics. For example, Super Mario World to the tune of What A Wonderful World.
- He also has "Without Lyrics" videos, which is him playing the original music.
- Sometimes he'll write lyrics to games, but with original music he made himself. For example, the actual theme to Limbo is a dark somber track. Yet in Limbo with Lyrics he sings it to an incredibly Upbeat reggae song, as well as the two Bioshock songs are original ragtime note and Barbershop songs respectively.
- His live shows tend to have him launch into the first verse of Come Sail Away by Styx when wrapping up Ducktales with Lyrics.
- Stealth Pun: In the "Baby Mario & Papa Yoshi" animation, teenage Mario goes to Mushroom High.
- The tune of "Limbo with Lyrics" is a limbo tune.
- Stylistic Suck / Rule of Funny: The crappy day to night dissolves from Castlevania 2 get a Shout Out in the 'Castlevania II with lyrics' video.
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: From "3DS Streetpass With Lyrics":And to whoever's next, I'll write up some textTo my heart's contentBut since there's only sixteen letters, it says:"Hi, my name is B"
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: His rendition of the Game Over music from Mega Man 3. He points out that because it's such an upbeat song, it sounds kinda dickish."That was fun, but now you're done.You're out of luck because you suck.You're not quite as good as everyone else who plays it.Don't continue, just give in,You silly boob, ya fuckin' noob,Just turn off the power and cry yourself to sleep, you pussy."
- Take That!: Several, but his entry about Rayman (or, more precisely, Rayman Legends) in his "Game Over Tinies" song stands out - his stance about the game's delay to a more unfortunate release date is as straightforward as it gets."R is for Rayman, since nobody cares"
- His jab towards PETA in this RANTalfloss video.
- The Bioshock Infinite Song describes the white supremacist, jingoistic Columbia as a "Tea Party Fox News Disneyland".
- A lot of his comics that had to do with the Wii U irked Nintendo fans, as the punchlines were nothing more than "The WiiU Sucks" over and over again. He referenced the backlash in his "Farewell song" for the comic.
- How the Trump Stole Christmas! is one against Donald Trump.
- Tempting Fate: In the G-Rated version of "Bubble Man with Lyrics", Bubble Man proclaims that he's "(in)vincible as Wolverine, as long as you do not have Metal Blades like Metal Man." Shortly afterwards, Mega Man shows up, and his final (spoken) line is, "Wait are those metal blades-?"
- Title Drop: From "Castlevania II With Lyrics" (set to the tune of "Bloody Tears"):"Drac appearsEvery hundred yearsBut he'll cry bloody tearsAnd wish he never was a vampire!"
- Toilet Humour: The entirety of "Sewer Surfin' With Lyrics".
- Truck Driver's Gear Change: Used and lampshaded in Final Fantasy with Lyrics, Civilization with Lyrics, and This Is the Album You've Been Waiting For (his promo song for his "Bits of Me" album. "Key change, mofo!"
- Turn Your Head and Cough: Spoken by Dr. Mario in this song number, which depicts the character as being a quack.
- Unwanted Assistance: In Star Fox: Space OddityFox: This is Fox McCloud to Star Fox team!
Hey, Falco, you're a douche!
And please, Peppy, for the love of God, retire!
As for Slippy, will you please die in a fire!? Immediately!
- Villainous Glutton: His interpretation of Kirby
- Visual Pun: Zelda 2 With Lyrics includes the lyric "Kicking some ass! Kicking some ass! Kicking some ass!" In the video, this is set to Link slashing with his sword... and then he kicks a donkey.
- Punch-Out!! With Lyrics includes the line "Bull shit cock!" In the video, this is set to a shot of Brent's angry face... superimposed by a bull, then a warm turd, then a rooster.
- Weapon of Choice: In Contra With Lyrics:"S is what I shall use (Spread Gun Spread Gun muthafucka!)"
- Joke Weapon: "R - just makes me confused! (It stands for Rarely helpful)" Also calling the Machine Gun "Marshmallow gun".
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: White Mage in "Ballad of the Mages"
- What the Hell, Hero?: In "Ocarina of Time with Lyrics", Dave's first lyrics are about how Brent shouldn't be voicing his negative opinion on the game on the internet (or in the live version, a gaming con).
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The premise of "DK Rap 2018", complete with the subtitle "Where Are They Now?"
- Whole Plot Reference: The entire premise of the 'With Lyrics' songs. Done gloriously.
- With Lyrics: No, really?
- World's Smallest Violin: Used (arguably wrongly) in Cave Story With Lyrics.
- You're Insane!: Calls Scrooge McDuck crazy several times in the DuckTales song.
- Your Mom: What has been listed under Self-Deprecation above is accompanied by "don't tell your mom", in hushed tones.
The end, Mofos.