The Adventures of Duane & BrandO is a Michigan based videogame rap cover band, consisting of members Duane Zuwala and Brandon Lackey, under the not-really-pseudonyms 8Bit Duane and The Amazing BrandO. This description, while accurate, fails to convey the mindblowingly fun rhymes and craftsmanship put in to every song. Their covers stick with a fun and bouncy style rather than the more serious workings of say, The Megas.
There exists one CD consisting of remastered versions of their entire discography, released in January 2013, as well as multiple solo albums from each of them.
After a period of in-fighting that broke up the band, they have re-united in 2012 with the release of a brand new song from their long-awaited EarthBound LP. They plan to go on tour using a Kickstarter project that was successfully funded on December 13th, 2012. In 2015, they released a Mario 3 EP and a second EP in 2016, "Thanks Mom", this released being a preview of their upcoming new album, "Better Than Nothing".
Following the release of the Mario 3 EP, there was a period of radio silence until a post on the Kickstarter page by Brando in April of 2018: Something happened to the majority of the money (that Duane was in control of) and they had another falling out, Duane will probably not speak with him again, and the future of Duane & Brando is is still well dead in the water."
PS: Due to the common tropes between the three bands, let's keep them all together on this page.
- Are We There Yet?: "It's already been five minutes since we started this song! That's four Ninja Gaiden songs way too long!"
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In Zelda II, as shown below:This game is so confusing
When the hell does it take place? (I don't know!)
Which Zelda did I rescue?
Where the hell's my boomerang? (I don't know!)
Link's Shadow: Same moves, same tights, same fuckin' drive!
- Averted later:
- Averted Trope: The Final Fantasy I rap dodges all the popular Light Warrior personalities popularized by 8-Bit Theater. The Fighter is smart and the leader, the Red Mage flaunts his powers by using them, the Black Mage is slick and effective, and there's a Black Belt on the team.
- Although the 8-bit Theater lineup is referenced: Garland says to the Black Belt "I'll make you wish you'd have chosen Thief." But it's probably said for the fact that the Thief is a master at running.
- I'm the two tailed fox with the fly-ass moves!
- Badass Boast: Quite a few.Duane: Rrrrescued the princess and captured the ship / We got the mystic key from the Elven Prince / Defeated Lich, Kary, Kraken, and Tiamat, with a chortle / Orb of Earth, Fire, Water, Air, opened the portal / Went back 2000 years to the Temple of Fiends / Now we're four Light Warriors, hauntin' ya dreams! / You're goin' down, Chaos, you shouldn't fuck with my crew! / Or Leo, Jojo, Spud, and I are gonna show you how we do / You motherfucker! We beat you before and we'll do it again! / Every time you fuckin' rise, until this fantasy ends! / You better stay on your guard, 'cause when I strike you're gonna feel it! / You fuckin' piece of shit! You're goin' down, bitch, I mean it!
- The Bad Guy Wins: The Sonic the Hedgehog rap ends with Sonic losing the final battle. Played for Laughs in that he lost BY SHARTING. (It's a combination of shitting and farting.)
- In Castlevania III, Trevor Belmont loses when fighting Dracula and Brandon quits playing out of frustration. Adverted in the remake, where Trevor instead wins by whipping Dracula in the balls.
- In Dragon Warrior, Duane loses on purpose because he thought it was a better idea to end the song dramatically.
- Black Comedy Rape: In Brando's "Zelda 3" song, after being turned into a bunny, Link goes on a rape-frenzy, with the monsters of the Dark World on the receiving end. He doesn't enjoy it any more than they do.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Played straight when "songs" are mentioned, downplayed when "games" are mentioned.
- Brick Joke: The DEAD running gag in the Mega Man 2 rap was used again in the Castlevania 2 rap.
- Butt-Monkey: Mega Man 2's Bubble Man (to the point of becoming a Running Gag):Bubble Man: The name's Bubble Man and I got somethin' ta say—
Mega Man: DEAD. (I'm not fuckin' with you.)
(a little later)
Air Man: Shit! I'm as useless as Bubble Man!
Tails: Tails is the name / Sonic's right hand G / You'll go no no, nono, no!
- Tails as well. He's always either left behind or totally abhorred while he's around.
Sonic: Shut the fuck up.
- Call-Back: While any sequel songs (Zelda/Mario/Castlevania 2 etc.) all contain references to their respective predecessors. Of special note is Duane's rendition of the title theme from Mega Man 6 borrows its first four measures of lyrics from Mega Man 2 by Duane & BrandO.
- Dragon Warrior also reuses a couple of the Sonic rap's lines. Tails (played by Duane, who also did the vocals for Dragon Warrior) lampshades this.
- Zelda III makes a subtle reference to the last line of the previous song, in which Link asks "We're brother and sister in the next game, right?". This version of Link is a Chivalrous Pervert who constantly hits on a reluctant Zelda, who is constantly hinted to be a relative. (But only in this song.)
- Super Mario Bros. 3 has the lyric "hey waitta minute, there's a secret in this tunnel", from their Mario I rap.
- The same song also has "rockin' this motherfucker, destroying this place" a call back to the line "droppin' bombs on this motherfucker, destroying this maze" from the Metroid rap.
- Mario 3 also continues with the running gag started in the Mario 2 rap, which is about John Leguizamo not having a mustache when acting as Luigi in the movie.
- The Ghouls n' Goblins song has "I'm the knight that keeps these bitches in check, I'm full of ammunition so I get respect!", which is a call back to the line "I got my helmet on and my bitches in check. Packed full of ammunition so I get some respect." from the Bomberman song.
- Comically Missing the Point: The premise of Brand 0's "Where's My Shirt?", where Sephiroth, now only a consciousness in Cloud's mind, is wondering where his shirt went. Where did it go, anyway?
- Cluster F-Bomb: "I'mmah fuckin' kick you in your stupid fuckin' face" is one of MANY. Oh, and can't forget the song TITLED "Fuck You".
- Seriously, everyone swears in these raps. Except for, amusingly, Bikke from Final Fantasy I. You know, the pirate?
- Wood Man also has an amusing aversion to the word "fuck". He opts for "freakin'". He does say "ass", though. Roll and Dr. Wily don't swear either, and Proto Man's only swear is cut off.Proto Man: Choose carefully, you motherfu--.
Mega Man: NO.
- Bowser, big time in Mario 3Ya freakin' retard idiot fag fat motherfuckin' dicklickin' shit in a bag ya fuckin' asshole cocksuckin' bitch ass ho I'll fuck your fuckin' shit ass bitch fuck tha flo'
- Critical Hit Class: Referenced in the band's rap based on upon Final Fantasy I, the Fighter class is referred to as "critically acclaimed" referring to his odds of getting a critical hit.
- Dark Reprise: The Dark World segment from Mario 3 takes its first two measures of lyrics from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show theme.
- Darker and Edgier: Zelda II is much more serious than most of the band's other songs. There are a few jokes here and there, and the Running Gag with Duane popping up to comment on what's happening, but they're mostly at the beginning and during the middle, while the temple, final boss and especially the Great Temple segments are surprisingly poetic.Link: You know that I will save you, I'm made to, I'm breaking throughZelda: You know that I have faith, Link, I'll wait, Link, I'll wait for youLink: You have no choice, love,Zelda: I know that you'll rescue me, this is our destinyBoth: I hear your voice, love,Link: I've only just met you but something inside of me drives me on... So I battle, who are you?Shadow Link: I'm your shadow.
- Dissimile: In Toejam and Earl:I'm like a genie/alien but the opposite...
- Domestic Abuse: Played for laughs a few times.Mega Man: "And that's how we roll"
Roll: "Need my help?"
Mega Man: "Nawww. / Get back in the kitchen, / shit is under control / It's a man's world, baby / don't be flashin' ya vag / here's my back hand bitch/ ya got a problem wit' that? * punch*
Dark Queen: You can't hit me, I'm a woman!Rash: I realize you're a woman, but I really don't careYou're gonna have to tell the doctor you fell down on the stairsYou're gonna need them sunglasses for them black eyes, whoreI've been drinking since breakfast, I don't care anymore!
- And of course, "The Carpet Is Lava", which they actually lost a few YouTube subscribers over.
- From Battletoads:
There is no... relationships. Only men, and others. Women will no longer be referred to as women, but "Dishes Do-ers". We will also refer to them as... Bitch! ...You are the birth giver, or the abortion haver. I shall crap in your hand and you shall run it to the toilet! ...You shall have your own special room, it will be called the storage closet.
- The Great Abyss has a ton of this:
- Double Entendre: King Koopa claims in the Super Mario Bros.. rap that he'll "eat the fucking Princess with cherries and whipped cream".
Link: When I master the Master Sword, I'm goin' to townon Zelda's upside-down Triforce, with one in the brown.You can't stop me from comin', I am the Hero of Time!You better run for your fuckin' life, I'm comin' inside!
- Matoya got her some HERB.
- From the Zelda rap:
- One was noted with less innuendo: "That was a critical hit? Critics are thumbing in awe!"
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: "Besides, she's in a coma in the next game, G. For real."
- Eat the Dog: At the end of of Duck Hunt: "I'm gonna fire up that grill, and we're just gonna pretend that it's duck we're grillin' up instead of man's best friend."
- Epic Rocking: Their Final Fantasy I song is just over 10 minutes long.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: How Billy defeats his evil brother.Billy: I am tellin' Mom.Jimmy: You wouldn't!
- Exposition Break: Played for laughs in the EarthBound song Title Buzz Buzz:Buzz Buzz: One last thing before I finally die...
Take this thing, its called a Sound Stone, guy.
There are eight different melodies that you have to record
To prevent the Cosmic Destroyer from sending all to the horror of eternal darkness.
...Do you wanna hear my story again?
Buzz Buzz: Yes? Okay. One last thing before I finally die...
- Fan Vid: Remarkably well made ones at that.
- Final Fantasy I: For many fans, this was their first exposure to the band.
- Hannibal Lecture: In Zelda 2, Dark Link attempts one:No, I know all your moves, and I feel all your pain!You're a slave to the princess, a fuckin' shame!You'll never defeat me, you know that I'm right!You're a servant, a pawn, and you're living a lie!
Gonna live and let you die, bitch! 'Cause I don't need you!I think I'll just crouch down over here and stab your knees, dude!Stabby stab stab, how you like that shit?I'm gonna call you Error 'cause you're fuckin' useless!
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: From Link:
- Heroic Mime: Referenced in Zelda:Link: Aw, shit! (I thought to myself) What am I going to do?
- In-Joke: One of the great pleasures of their lyrics, from their quip of "Did I do that?", in homage to Jaleel White's role as the voice actor for Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM) and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Not to mention that in both the Zelda 2 and Castlevania 3 raps, there's that woman holding up the sign. In Zelda 2, it says "4 out of 5 ladies prefer this model" and in Castlevania 3, it says "TREVOR'S GOT BALLZ".
- Insult Backfire: Well, more like Snappy Comment Backfire, from Episode 2 of the Zelda 3 rap:Zelda: Lick my royal heinie!Link: ...gonna!
- Lighter and Softer: The Earthbound LP is significantly cleaner and more lighthearted than most of their other songs. The profanity has been reduced and the adult-oriented jokes have been cut down. It's not entirely clean, but the change is noticeable.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Link, who's portrayed as being somewhat obsessed with getting into Zelda's pants... even if she's in a coma... or might be his sister.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Of course, even perverts have standards, and in Zelda 3, Link discovers the hard way that being turned into a bunny comes with certain... urges.
- Mood Whiplash: The ending of Duane's Super Mario Land is quite touching... aside from the fact that it's punctuated with a rather epic belch.
I'll face the darknessThe angels hearken
- The Dragon Warrior rap ends "dramatically", due to a last-minute change made during recording.
- In Brando's "Zelda 3: The Light World", the Overworld theme gets heroic lyrics, up to a point:
- Mushroom Samba: Link in Zelda 3 finds the Magic Mushroom, which in the game is supposed to be used to get the Magic Powder, and eats it, with predictable results.
- My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels: From Kung Fu:So door igamo sensei llamo Tamagotchi Ali
I dunno what exactly that means I dont speak no Chinese
- No Pronunciation Guide: Although the subtitles say "Bikke", his actual name is replaced with a cough instead of being spoken. In a YouTube comment DnB claimed that none among them could agree on how to pronounce it.
- Nothing Can Stop Me Now: What Link declares in Zelda 3 once he reaches the Master Sword with all three pendants in hand.
- Overly Long Gag: The end of the "Saturn Valley" portion of Earthbound is the Grapefruit Falls password. Which happens to be doing nothing for three full minutes.
- Pun: "I'm the illest fuckin' cracker that you've ever met! Get it? *whip cracks* That shit is funny!"
- Punk in the Trunk: In The Carpet is Lava, after they kill Mike Christensen with a baseball bat.Michael Crane: Let's put his ass in the trunk.Take him to the river, then dump this punk.
- Putting on the Reich: Bowser rallying his minions in the Mario 3 video looks like a Nazi rally.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Their shows are the perfect example of this. Duane can't stand still when the music is going, while BrandO remains cooler, albeit just as into the music.
- Rhyming with Itself: In the Super Mario Bros. 2 song, Birdo rhymes "face" with itself, and lampshades it.Birdo: I am a motherfuckin' Birdo, look at my face!I spit eggs motherfucker, straight into your face!I'm so hardcore, I rhyme face with face!I rhymed face four times, now get outta my face!
- Run the Gauntlet: Many songs feature the hero facing all of a game's bosses in succession, but Mario 3 gets a special mention, reserving an entire segment of the song for the Koopalings.
- Running Gag:
- In Mega Man 2, the word "Dead!" is shouted after each boss is defeated.
- Duane's face appears quite often in both of the music videos for the Legend of Zelda songs.
- Trevor and other characters keep dying throughout Castlevania III, interrupting the music.
- In the Zelda 3 videos, Link constantly saying that he has a REALLY LARGE PENIS.
- Sanity Slippage: Link in Zelda 3, after Sahasrahla staunchly refuses to give him the Pegasus Boosts before Link gets the first Pendant.
- Than again after Zelda is kidnapped by Aghanim's soldiers.
- Shower of Angst: Or rather, Seventeen Boiling Hot Baths of Angst in Episode 5 of Zelda 3, after Link is turned into a bunny and goes on a monster-raping spree.
- Shout-Out: To Dungeons & Dragons in their Pac-Man song, Faith No More, and a good many to Christopher Walken to name a few.
Sonic (to Robotnik): Ill fuckin roll you down the stairs like your name was Log!
- In some of the video-game songs, they get into some pretty obscure in-jokes with the games. Chaos referencing Erdrick's gravestone, for example.
- One to Flash Gordon in the Mega Man 2 rap.
- Here's a good one from the Sonic rap
Metal Sonic: Error. Does not compute. Shoot, my system froze. Reboot. Scanning. Loading converter. I am Sonic, insert girder.
- There's also a pretty amusing reference in Metal Sonic's verse of the Sonic rap.
Chaos: I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings!Billy: Just give me my girl and get your ass homeZoey's on in 5 minutes, you never miss that show!Jimmy: What you know about the 101Leave Zoey alone, Nickelodeon's fun!
- The Final Fantasy rap has one to Princes of the Universe.
Jimmy: Stop! ...Nail time. Can't touch this motha fucking gangsta rhyme.My, my, my, fist will hit you - so hard! Make you look like Charizard!I'm too legitimate to handle, bro. Like Mario put it best, "Let's a-go!"
- Also, Jimmy Lee references MC Hammer and more:
- Castlevania 3 has a few references to Symphony of the Night sprinkled throughout.
- Zelda 3 twice segways into other songs: "Earth Angel" (as performed in Back to the Future) and Gorillaz' "Clint Eastwood." The former becomes a mash-up with the Kakariko Village theme from A Link to the Past.
- Mario 3 has quite a few:
- Both the intro and the use of the term "mom's spaghetti" are references to Eminem's song, Lose Yourself.
- Smoke weed every day!note
- One of the backgrounds used in the music video is a close-up of the desk from Five Nights at Freddy's.
- Bowser asks his assembled troops towards the end, "can you dig it?"
- When Mario pummels the sun, he uses Sabin's very own pummel technique.
- Also in the music video is the "WASTED" graphic from Grand Theft Auto V.
- Luigi lets loose a very familiar metal wail.
- Mario promises to take Luigi to Suplex City.
- When Wily reveals his alien transformation in Mega Man 2, Mega Man disparagingly calls him E.T.. Wily immediately responds "Dr. Wily phone home!" before noting that he does love Reese's.
- Shown Their Work: In their Mario 2 song, they got every detail right to the fact that the game was All Just a Dream.
- Sophisticated as Hell: From Zelda 3:Link: I'll face the darkness,
The angels hearken,
Your face, I'll fart in...
- Spiritual Successor: Action Adventure World and The Amazing BrandO's solo work with VGM, though stylistically Action Adventure World is closer to the majority of Duane and BrandO's work.
- Stealth Pun: In the Final Fantasy song, there's a short section with Mega Man characters playing as a band. Bass is on Bass.
- Straw Misogynist: The moral of The Carpet Is Lava.
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: From Duane's Ice Climber:"Dodge the icicles falling up high,
If they hit me then I'll probably get mad or something!"
Trevor: "Are you a chick,
- Castlevania 3 has a DOUBLE subverted rhyme:
'Cause you look like you might have a scro-"
Sypha: "I'm a female, you asshole!"
- Take That!: Brand 0 was asked repeatedly to make a song based on Pokémon and released this. Ray William Johnson must be so proud of that trolling.
- Take That, Audience!: After the backlash that occurred due to Mega Man slapping Roll in Mega Man 2, Duane and BrandO decide to skip Wendy entirely in Mario 3, with some Lampshade Hanging.Hey there Wendy, save those hoops fo' yo mama
Imma warp past the castle to avoid the drama, bitch
Iggy, you're a nerd with a fat head(Zooms in on Iggy's face as the previous lyric echoes, the word "TRIGGERED" appearing)
- The music video takes it even further with Iggy, who comes immediately afterward.
- The Cameo: Brentalfloss as Toad in Mario 3.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Aplenty. Just look at the page for two examples.
- Trauma Button: Played for laughs in the music video for Mario 3, as Iggy is triggered after Mario calls him a nerd with a fat head.
- Trunk Shot: Near the end of the video for The Carpet is Lava, where they put Mike Christensen in the trunk.
- Turn Your Head and Cough: Something similar used in Duane's rendition of the Doogie Howser, M.D. theme song.
- Vampire Bites Suck: "AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! FUCKERRRRRR!"
- Verbal Tic: When they have to pad out the meter, they often say "ha-ha!" They are also a fan of the line "haunting your dreams/night."
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Tails is abused in their Sonic the Hedgehog song, taking advantage of his infinite lives as Player 2 to kill him over and over and over again.Tails: "Hey Sonic, tell Player 2 to stop jumpin' in spikes / That shit hurts, even with these infinite lifes!"
- Villain Song: Chaos gets his own segment in the Final Fantasy song using a tune that wasn't actually in the game. (at least, not the NES version) It's surprisingly good.Chaos: Those fools are on their way / They'll rue the day they came this way / I'm CHAOS! ...in the flesh.
The Fiends compare to fleas / compared to me / It's great to be pure CHAOS! ...I laid Erdrick to rest.
And one by one you'll die by my hand! / Oh look what I've become!
This fantasy is far from final / The worst is yet to come...
- Visual Pun: Twofold during the Mario 3 Rap. A king-transformed-into-a-dog is seen sitting in front of a Warp Pipe with smoke coming out of it; the lyrics played during this shot are "Smoke weed everyday", a meme associated with Snoop Dogg.
- Voice of the Legion: Again, Chaos during his own segment in Final Fantasy. One deep demonic voice, one higher-pitched normal voice.
- We Can Rule Together: From Zelda II:Dark Link: Hyrule could be ours, take my hand!We can rule the kingdom, devour the land!
- In Double Dragon, during the fight between Billy and JimmyJimmy Lee: Join us! Don't be so stupid! / Teach all of my warriors Sosetsuken / If ya don't, I'll put you in a headlock, G. / By the way, I think yer girl really likes me...
- In Double Dragon, during the fight between Billy and Jimmy
- With Lyrics: Almost the entirety of their discography, though they do have a few original songs.
- Though many songs merely use the original game tunes as a backdrop to the added in lyrics rather than adding lyrics directly to the song melodies.
The Action Adventure World game provides examples of:
- Down the Drain - One of the levels in Episode 2 takes place in the sewer.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential - You can kill 8bitduane all you want.
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment - But hurting Mitch causes him to hit you back.