James Hong (born February 22, 1929 in Minneapolis, Minnesota) is a very, very prolific American character actor of Chinese descent. He credibly claims more credits than any other actor, living or dead; as of August 2020 his entry at IMDb lists 440 credits as "Actor" (starting in 1954), 29 "As Himself", and 37 other miscellaneous credits.
You may remember him as:
- Faye Dunaway's butler in Chinatown (with a cameo in The Two Jakes)
- The Japanese soldier who commits seppuku rather than listen to Ted yammer on in Airplane!
- Hannibal Chew in Blade Runner
- Chuck Norris's nemesis in Missing in Action
- David Lo Pan in Big Trouble in Little China
- Tia Carrere's dad in Wayne's World 2
Name a TV series, from Have Gun Will Travel to The X-Files to Malcolm in the Middle, and he's been in at least one episode. Fans of Seinfeld may remember him as the Maitre d' from the famous "Chinese Restaurant" episode.
He is also a former president of the Association of Asian/Pacific American Artists, and co-founder of the East-West Players, a training ground for generations of Asian-American actors coming after him.