Jake and the Fatman is a television crime drama starring William Conrad as prosecutor J. L. (Jason Lochinvar) "Fatman" McCabe and Joe Penny as investigator Jake Styles. McCabe is a Hawaii-born, tough former Honolulu Police Department officer turned Los Angeles district attorney. He is teamed with a handsome, happy-go-lucky special investigator named Jake Styles. They often clash due to their different styles and personalities. "Fatman" hardly travels anywhere without Max, his pet bulldog.
Jake and the Fatman contains examples of:
- Detective Mole: In "You Turned the Tables on Me", the prosecutor appointed to head the organized crime unit turns out to be literally and figuratively in bed with the biggest mobster in town.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: J.L. McCabe's full name is Jason Lochenbar McCabe. Small wonder he prefers 'J.L.', or even 'Fatman'.
- Fat and Skinny: McCabe and Styles.
- Large and in Charge: J.L. McCabe is the L.A. District Attorney, extremely overweight, and very definitely the boss. When he talks, everyone listens.
- Old Cop, Young Cop: Technically McCabe is a prosecutor rather than a cop (although he is an ex-cop) but otherwise the relationship between the Fatman and Jake fits this trope.
- Only Known by Initials: J.L. (Jason Lochenbar) McCabe, the eponymous Fatman.
- Parking Payback: In "You Turned the Tables on Me", a pretty young prosecutor steals the parking space Jake has been waiting for. Jake takes revenge by stealing the distributor cap from her car, forcing her to get a ride home with him.
- Phone-In Detective: McCabe would send Styles out to do his legwork for him.
- Uncatty Resemblance: McCabe (a no-nosense and very large prosecutor) has a pet bulldog named Max who looks quite a bit like him.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: After McCabe wins a gangster's trial, said gangster's lawyer congratulates him and calls him his inspiration.Lawyer: There's very few people I told such compliment.
McCabe: That's not a compliment. That's an insult!