Foxx plays Jamie King, an aspiring singer from Texas who moves to L.A. and works at a hotel run by his Aunt Helen (Ellia English) and Uncle Junior (Garrett Morris). Among Jamie's co-workers are Love Interest Fancy (Garcelle Beauvais) and Straight Man Braxton (Christopher B. Duncan). Hijinks ensue.
However, the beginning of the fourth season brought about a large retool, with Jamie quitting his job at the hotel to pursue his music career, and getting hired by an ad agency called Jingles 2000. Afterwards, the rest of the cast (save Fancy) were seen less or less often, with Jamie's new co-workers becoming his new best friends.
This show provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer - DAMN!!!(That's her actual name)
- Catchphrase: Jamie "break screech" motion
- Christmas Every Day: The episode "Christmas Day-ja Vu," when Jaimie King's friends and family buy him some gifts, he buys himself an extravagant ski outfit, instead of returning the sentiment. A mall Santa places a spell on him, where he keeps pestering Jamie if he's learned the True Meaning of Christmas, while Jaime's reliving that moment over and over again.
- Kent Brockman News - ..."And I'm Bout it Bout it!"
- Parody Episode - One episode was a full-episode parody of The Matrix.
- Romantic False Lead - Silas
- Screams Like a Little Girl - Jamie
- Token White Cameron (Who was taken off the show pretty dang quickly)
- Very Special Episode - There was at least one episode on school gun violence.
- Will They or Won't They? - Jamie and Fancy. However, instead of a Last Minute Hookup, they hook-up for real around halfway in the series. After a break-up or two, they get married in the series finale.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: With guns.