Set after Attack of the Clones, the galaxy is at war as the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systemsnote vie for control, and the Jedi Order serve as the generals of the Republic's Clone Army. The series principally focuses on Anakin Skywalker (Matt Lanter), Obi-Wan Kenobi (James Arnold Taylor), and Ahsoka Tano (Ashley Eckstein) as they deal with the various adventures and battles fought in the war alongside the clone troopers (Dee Bradley Baker), other Jedi, and politicians up until Revenge of the Sith.
The Clone Wars began with a Pilot Movie distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures on August 10, 2008, and premiered on Cartoon Network on October 3, 2008. The series was in production of a sixth season, but was cancelled shortly after the season five finale on March 2, 2013 following Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm. The episodes of the series that were in production were released as a Netflix exclusive on March 7, 2014 while some of its unproduced story arcs were adapted into other mediums.
The Clone Wars is the final work created and executive produced by George Lucas prior to selling the Star Wars franchise to Disney. It is also the only Star Wars work outside of the original six Star Wars films to be considered canon following the franchise-wide Continuity Reboot due to Lucas' heavy involvement with the series and its influence on several other works that would be released afterward.
- Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir: a comic book adaptation of a four-episode story arc that presents the aftermath of the Shadow Collective arc.
- Dark Disciple: a novelization adaptation of an eight-episode story arc where an unlikely duo joins forces to assassinate Count Dooku.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Stories of Light and Dark: an anthology collection that retells different episodes of The Clone Wars from the characters' perspectives, and one chapter telling an original story.
- Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars Battle Tales: a five-issue comic book series that focuses on characters in The Clone Wars.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars books: a five-part book series starting with a novelization of the pilot movie.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars comics: a series of tie-in graphic novels and comics focusing on characters in The Clone Wars.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars magazine comics: A series of comics included in The Clone Wars magazine exclusively sold in the United Kingdom.
- The Clone Wars: Secret Missions: a series of books focusing on an original story about Nuru Kungurama, a Chiss Padawan, and his team of clone troopers, the Breakout Squad.
- Star Wars The Clone Wars webcomics: a series of webcomics released concurrently with the show's first, second, and third seasons. The season one webcomics were mainly prequels to their respective episodes, while the webcomics for seasons two and three were based on original stories.
- Act on Instinct and The Valsedian Operation: The webcomics for seasons two and three respectively, focusing on an original story about Padawan Tyzen Xebec, the former apprentice of the late Master Bolla Ropal.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars video games. Unrelated to the Star Wars: The Clone Wars video game, which was not a tie-in to the show.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Jedi Alliance: A game exclusive to the Nintendo DS, set during Season one. Featured an original storyline with the Nightsisters as the main villains.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Lightsaber Duels: A game exclusive to the Wii, focused on re-enacting various lightsaber duels from season one.
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Republic Heroes: Set between season one and two, featuring an original storyline of the Jedi investigating a mysterious Separatist superweapon. The Nintendo DS version instead adapts episodes from seasons one and two.
- Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures: A now-defunct MMORPG.
- Restraint: A short story published in the second edition of Darth Maul Shadow Hunter, aimed with revising retcons made to Maul and Ventress's backstories in season three.
- Speaking Silently: A short story published in Insider Issue 139, featuring Rex, Jesse, Kix, and Dogma.
- Hondo Ohnakas Not So Big Score: A short story published in Insider Issue 144, featuring Hondo Ohnaka.
- Legends media with other connections to The Clone Wars:
- The Fate of the Jedi book series expands on the Mortis Gods and their connection to the books' main villain, Abeloth.
- Though Broad Strokes is in effect, Asajj Ventress is largely borrowed from her depiction in the Star Wars: Clone Wars micro-series and Star Wars: Republic comic.
- Likewise, the Jango Fett: Open Seasons comic serves as a backdrop for the Mandalorians' story arc in the show, particularly for the Death Watch and the Mandalorian Civil War.
- The Star Wars: Republic Commando video game served as an inspiration for the series, though connections to it are minor references (namely the usage of clone commando armor) and a cameo appearance from Delta Squad at best.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars was followed in production order by Star Wars Rebels and Star Wars Resistance prior to its seventh season. After Season 7, the series is chronologically followed by the upcoming Star Wars: The Bad Batch, which focuses on the titular team of clone troopers left to fend for themselves in the age of the Empire.