Introduced in SSX
Mackenzie "Mac" Fraser
Mac has always been first into the parks and last to pack it in. The new season sees an older, more confident Mac Fraser. Mixing his passion for music and riding has given Mac a constant groove and positive vibe. Some say he's unaware or ambivalent to most things around him. In actuality, it's more accurate that Mac is highly selective of what he wants — or who he cares to acknowledge. His quiet confidence almost guarantees him a season-long spot up on the podium. —>SSX 3 character description
- The Ace: Matures into this by the time 2012 rolls around. Of the founding members of Team SSX, Mac was the most accomplished snowboarder.
- The Casanova: According to his bio in SSX 2012, he is a ladies man.
- Child Prodigy: He was the youngest competitor in the SSX competition with the first game at the age of 15 and was a snowboarding natural.
- Dark and Troubled Past: It's implied he had a rough upbringing that plays into his isolated nature.
- Flanderization: Originally, he was just a Kid-Appeal Character, but in Tricky, he evolved into Pretty Fly for a White Guy.
- Genius Ditz: When first appearing in SSX, where he was younger and loud and immature. But he's a pro at snowboarding and freestyle tricks.
- When asked the Boxers or Briefs question in SSX 3, he actually checks (the answer is briefs).
- He Is All Grown Up: At the beginning of the series, he's a loud and pompus 15-year-old and from there, ages into an confident adult.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Usually seen bopping along to music in his SSX 3 loading screens, and has been said to ride while listening to music and implied to be a bit of a loner, at least in the first game.
- Ink-Suit Actor: He looks just like his voice actor Ryan Wall, and just like Wall, Mac is a DJ.
- In the Hood: His main outfit in SSX 2012 consists of ski jackets with the hood up.
- Kid-Appeal Character: The youngest and hippest character in SSX and Tricky and with his interests and slang, he's tailor-made for the younger audience.
- Love Interest: He's was commonly paired up with Kaori and it seemed like they were going steady, until SSX On Tour when Kaori started hanging with Sid.
- Men Can't Keep House: Apparently, the reason he and Moby were rivals for so long was that they were forced to room together during the first two World Circuit tours, during which Mac was such a slob that Moby filed a complaint just to be able to get out of there in time for 3.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: What he became in Tricky after his Flanderization.
- Putting the Band Back Together: Along with Zoe, Mac is one of the former boarders who formed the new world tour in SSX 2012.
- The Rival: Moby is his most consistent rival and throughout the series they've had a mutual dislike for each other. He isn't quite fond of Luther, JP, or Sid either.
- Signature Move: A skateboarding-influenced Uber trick called Walking the Dog.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Lemonade, and he tries to blend the perfect brew.
- Weak, but Skilled: In the first two games, he had plenty of skill when it comes to tricks, but he got smacked around quite a bit.
Raised in the rough and tough streets of Brixton, England, Moby used a BMX bike to get him on the path to international recognition of his extreme athlete prowess. He became recognized as fearless and aggressive, and no one went bigger or better. This time around Moby has raised his confidence level and balanced it with a newfound chill. The opportunity to be challenged in every event, every ride, has left him with a mindset that is cool, calculating, and strategic. He knows there are young riders lined up to knock him off his perch and calmly rejects there ambition. He is often described as a machine, able to win and ride with an almost superhuman proficiency.—>SSX 3 character description
- Boisterous Bruiser: His style, whether it be BMX or snowboarding is Highly aggressive and brash.
- Dreadlock Rasta: His Tricky profile plants hints he might be a genuine Rasta practitioner, what with his admiration for Bob Marley.
- Flanderization: Originally, he was just the risk-taker. Tricky made him a full-on badass.
- Hidden Depths: Among the bits of trivia sprinkled throughout his bios, Moby plays the drums and has a flair for the culinary.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: He's around average in all stats, and he has a board which helps in races and freestyle events.
- Knight in Shining Armor: What some of his costume options in 3 add up to.
- Love Interest: His riding parter/friend Zoe. They were implied to be more than friends from Tricky onward, and in the ending of On Tour, they're confirmed to be living together.
- Patriotic Fervor: Wearing a Flag on Your Head is second nature when you're Moby. The Union Jack's gone pretty much everywhere on his outfit at some point, including his board.
- Put on a Bus: Moby was apparently planned for On Tour (there was concept art made), but he didn't make the cut. He's mentioned in the ending, though.
- The Bus Came Back for Blur, but his trademark dreadlocks didn't until SSX 2012.
- The Rival: Mac is usually his main rival, but he also doesn't like Psymon or JP.
- Running Gag: Moby has a history of not getting along well with the other European riders of the tour. His most prominent such rivalry was with the Frenchman JP in Tricky, but he's also been shown getting in spats with and/or listed as a rival for Alexis Moreau, also French, as well as Germans like Jurgen and Marty.
- Scary Black Man: He's pretty intimidating in appearance, heavily muscled and scowling.
- Signature Move: The Superman Barspin, which takes the more widely-used Superman Uber trick and adds a BMX twist.
- Stripperiffic: A male example; he could ride shirtless in 3. Averted in Tricky, where he was the only one wearing full snowboarding gear.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Moby does NOT model. Sometimes sports companies pay him to wear their gear, and they put the pictures in bike magazines, but it's NOT the same thing. At least, that's what Moby insists.
- Token Minority: He's the only black character with notability, especially after Seeiah was phased out the series.
Elise is a blonde and beautiful Canadian snowboarding 'Amazon' who is as happy carving out a man's heart as she is carving a turn in the SSX World Circuit or the surf of Australia's Gold Coast. Nothing about Elise is accidental: she chooses her look, her moods, her friends, and her enemies. She is used to getting her way, and will use whatever it takes to get what she wants: her strength, her skills or her looks. Elise likes the rough stuff in the heat of SSX competition, and she hates losing. Just being passed by another rider gets to her competitive spirit. She will use her sharp and deadly humor to cut someone down to size, and a laugh that will chill you like a winter's day of surfing in Tofino. —>SSX Tricky description
- Action Fashionista: She snowboards, surfs, rock-climbs, and is tough as nails but she is also a model into the latest styles.
- Alpha Bitch: Gives off this vibe to a lot of the other riders on the circuit, as she's tall and blonde yet somewhat mean and ruthless.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her default outfits in Tricky' and SSX 3'' have her midriff showing.
- Boyish Short Hair: Tends to go for either this, long hair tied back in a ponytail, or both, depending on the options available in any given game.
- Canada, Eh?: Hails from Canada.
- Flanderization: She became more of an Amazon with Tricky.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's SSX's biggest covergirl and her riding outfits show off a lot of skin, including a pair of hot pants in 3.
- Narcissist: According to her bio, the person she admires the most is herself.
- Not in the Face!: If you crash in SSX 2012, she will sometimes protest with "My face is my money maker!"
- Odd Friendship: With the goofy and high strung Eddie, who can't be anymore different than Elise.
- The Rival: Dislikes Felix in Blur and Zoe in SSX 2012, but her long-standing rival is Marisol, another Ms. Fanservice who gets feisty with her frequently.
- She's Got Legs
- Signature Move: The LaLaLa Lock Step, which is basically her leaping off the board, spiraling forward like a torpedo while her board spins the other way, and getting back on.
- Statuesque Stunner: She stands 5'11" (180 cm).
- Stripperiffic: Win some events in 3 and she'll be riding in a bikini!
Zoe "Royale" Payne had loads of talent, but is plagued by inconsistent performances. Her personality is also reflected in her apparel. She doesn't give a hoot about current trends, but always manages to look cool. She is attracted to strength of body and mind and abhors weakness in any form, especially in herself. While she can be hard on her competition when they make a mistake or lose to her, she is far harder on herself, for less significant blunders. Whether she's throwing herself down mountains on a $10,000 mountain bike or mixing it up in the clubs, street-savvy Zoe can handle herself just fine, thank you very much. Just don't open the door for her. Zoe is street smart, tough and attractive in a tom-boy kind of way. She is the puzzle guys can't help but try and figure out. —>SSX Tricky description
- Action Girl: Her favorite reading? SAS survival training. No, not a required read for what she goes through, her fave.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her primary form of Fanservice.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Confident and brash, and it reflects in her racing and fashion.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her quips on the track reflect this.
- Facial Markings: Wears face paint under her eyes as her trademark (though it was missing in On Tour and Blur).
- Flanderization: Was a quirky alternative girl in the original SSX, and then when Bif Naked starting voicing her, those traits evolved to her being a lot more gruff and tough.
- Going Commando: One question during an interview is whether she prefers boxers or briefs. Her reply and love for special forces makes it easy to guess.
- The Hero: In SSX 2012, she leads the team in their quest to go down all nine Deadly Descents.
- Informed Ability: DJ Atomika claims multiple times in 3 that she's a talented musician, but we've never seen any evidence supporting this. Of course, it could just be that Atomika's into her, or a reference to her being voiced by musician Bif Naked in Tricky and 3.
- Ink-Suit Actor: She pretty much looked like Bif Naked in Tricky and 3, which not-so-coincidentally featured Bif as her voice actress.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: And she's close friends with Moby, the other character of this franchise with average stats.
- Love Interest: It was implied for a long time that she and Moby were more than just friends...and then they ended up moving in together after On Tour.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Zoe's thoughts of her role as founder of SSX: Best. Job. Ever.
- Putting the Band Back Together: Co-founder of SSX and was the one who started the idea in SSX 2012.
- The Rival: Griff is the big one; not only were they rivals in Blur, but in SSX 2012, he becomes the main antagonist to Zoe and her SSX team. She's also not fond of JP and Elise either.
- Self-Deprecation: When she crashes in 3, she gets very mad at herself.
- Signature Move: The Pommel Me, which is basically Zoe using her board as a gymnastics pommel horse to spin around with a scissor kick.
Kaori is graceful, positive and gregarious. On the surface, she is a racer with a cheerful disposition. Yet beneath this surface is a warrior fighting a generation-old guest, a hero searching for answers. Despite her size, she has fantastic energy reserves and always has something left in the tank at the end of a long race or series. She wears fun, vibrant outfits to express her boundless energy and sunny disposition. Kaori is tough to upset but has no tolerance for intentional thuggery in competition. If pushed over the edge she'll take decisive action but her anger diffuses quickly as the race progresses and she rarely holds a grudge. —>SSX Tricky description
- Berserk Button: Intentional thuggery in a competition does NOT sit well with Kaori.
- The Cutie: Kaori is the sweetest and most innocent racer in the entire roster.
- Celebrity Voice Actor: She is the voice of the main character of her father's anime show: "Orange Explosion Fun Girl."
- Genki Girl: So much so that she was one of the few characters who wasn't Flanderized for Tricky; she didn't have to be.
- Girlish Pigtails: In Tricky.
- Gratuitous English: She speaks a bit of English in these cutscenes in Tricky, but largely averted in 3; she only speaks English in the character selection screen.
- Japanese Politeness: Embodies the stereotype as she tries not to be rude to anyone, even to JP, Luther, and Psymon.
- Love Interest: Implied to be dating Mac since Tricky but has cooled since she started hanging out with Sid in On Tour. As of SSX 2012, she's single.
- People of Hair Color: Of the East Asian Hair Streak variety; she has a pink streak in her hair in SSX 2012.
- The Rival: Psymon is her one and only rival, and it's mainly due to the fact she's scared of him.
- Signature Move: The fairly self-explanatory Pirouette Grind.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In On Tour, when she was hanging around with Sid and gained some edge. But it seems it went away when he did, as she's closer to her usual self in the reboot, if not as hyper.
JP is in desperate need of some serious counseling. He has learned most of life's ugly lessons and adopted nearly every one as part of his credo. Good looking in that boy-band way, JP really does manage to get by on looks alone: devoid of any kind of endearing qualities, he epitomizes the term 'style over substance'. The son of successful corporate parents, who made little time for their little 'side-project', JP craves attention and knows exactly how to play an audience. Not short on cash he loves to flaunt it at every opportunity. At the heart of it all is a very fragile ego that leaves him easily put off his game by the slightest stinging remark. —>SSX Tricky description
- 0% Approval Rating: Is the enemy to quite a few other boarders.
- Boy Band: His look in Tricky takes pretty clear cues from the slick, polished look of groups like the Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC.
- Cool Car: Loves to drive them as fast as possible when he's not on the slopes.
- Flanderization: Went from stylish to full-on egotist in Tricky.
- French Jerk: Played entirely straight.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: He's a Jerkass with a fragile ego who puts on a facade to hide it. How's that for a Mind Screw?
- Love Interest: Dated Marisol and apparently dumped her shortly before Tricky. Marisol still held a torch for him but then in Blur, it was revealed that Marisol got married - to someone else.
- Put on a Bus: Missed out on SSX 3 and On Tour.
- The Bus Came Back: Came back for SSX Blur, but the went back on the bus for SSX 2012.
- The Rival: Woo boy. Eddie, Brodi, Moby, Zoe, AND Mac dislike him.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Dresses very slick, even on the slopes.
- Signature Move: Headspin 2 Poseur, a midair breakdance that looks like something out of a boy band's music video.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Oh yes. JP isn't that well known or liked on the circuit but his ego is known by many.
- You Don't Look Like You: His blue hair and pencil-thin mustache in Blur are a far cry from his old look.
A wily and weathered veteran of Snowmobile and backcountry ski competitions, Jurgen is an established juggernaut on the SSX scene. —>SSX Description
- Bald of Awesome: He's an experienced winter sports competitor and has a reputation of being a power house on the circuit.
- Flat Character: Not his fault; he, along with Hiro missed out on the flanderization the rest of the characters got with the sequel.
- Ironic Name: Despite the "Angermann" surname, Jurgen's actual personality is that of somewhat laid-back.
- Mighty Glacier: He's got the best starting stability stat, but he's not exactly fast.
- Put on a Bus: He only ever appeared as a cheat character in 3 after the original game.
A strong-willed loner and bleeding-edge technological innovator, Hiro pushes himself and his gear beyond the limits to win at all costs. —>SSX Description
- Flat Character: Same deal as Jurgen, he only appeared in one game and missed out on further characterization.
- Fragile Speedster: He's a naturally speedy guy who's the only one to mainly have the Alpine board type, which plays to speed and acceleration. However, his stability isn't so good.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He's described as a "technological innovator" especially with his snowboarding gear.
- Japanese Spirit: He pushes himself and his gear to the extreme to win.
- Put on a Bus: He had a similar situation to Jurgen after the original.
- Written-In Absence: He actually gets a mention in Blur.
Introduced in SSX TrickyA lot of the characters in this batch were Put on a Bus; some of them only appeared as standalone characters in this game. We won't list it in these sections unless it isn't played straight.
A fearless, funny, tenacious, goof ball: words that describe Eddie "The Kid" Wachowski, a new rider on the SSX World Circuit, and the first to come from the gravity-based rush of street luge. Eddie may not be pretty, but he is FAST. He is a fountain of trivia and pop culture references, and seems to be stuck in the Seventies. People call him "The Kid" because he looks and acts younger than his nineteen years, but he is sharp and quick-witted, and won't back down from anyone. —>SSX Tricky description
- Disco Dan: He loves 70's culture and music, and dresses in loud, vibrant colors. His character selection animation actually has him doing the "Robot" dance.
- Funny Afro: His red hair is styled in a big, poofy afro. In SSX 2012, he has this same style, albeit a bit shaggier.
- Fragile Speedster: The fastest freestyle boader on the circuit with stability being his lowest stat.
- Fun Personified: His character design is bright and colorful and silly, as are his antics on the circuit.
- Geek: Obsessed with The '70s? Is also a programmer? Loves trivia and pop culture? Yep.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Eddie's a Freestyle rider, which is normally the worst type of board for racers (but best for tricks). Thanks to his naturally high speed, he overcomes that fact, making him a pretty good all-rounder at the start of the game.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Eddie's loud fashion has been toned down to this in SSX 2012.
- Odd Friendship: With Elise, who seems endeared by his geekiness.
- Playful Hacker: Along with his goofy personality, Eddie is also a hacker and great with computers.
- The Rival: Moby is his main rival in Tricky, though he has a lot more negative things to say about Luther.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Most of his outfits look like a thrift store exploded on him.
- Signature Move: The Worm. Yes, he literally does the worm on his board. Just go with it.
- The Bus Came Back: Eddie came back to SSX in SSX 2012 as a free DLC character.
Psymon has been a maniac ever since he was electrocuted during an attempt to jump his bike over some power lines on a dare. With the latest SSX season underway, one thing seems clear: Psymon Stark has lost it altogether. Psymon has raised an already high bar with tricks once thought impossible. Psymon manages to rage against it all. His riding is faster and looser, his airs are no longer astonishing but purely frightening. He has rediscovered his strongest motivator, fear. —>SSX 3 character description
- Abhorrent Admirer: Is this towards Zoe, he apparently considers Zoe more than a friend, whereas Zoe usually freaked out by him. He has earned Moby's ire for this.
- Ax-Crazy: Some of his quotes reveal a reckless, dangerous personality.
- Canada, Eh?: "SASKATOON!!!"
- Chained by Fashion: He's often got a chain or two hanging from his outfit. Additionally, he's got chains tattooed on his torso and arms.
- Chainsaw Good: It's his favourite "accessory."
- Cloud Cuckoolander: He talks to his TATTOOS!
- Cool Pet: According to DJ Atomika, he has a skateboarding dog named Flea.
- Delinquent Hair: His hair juts out in tight dreads/mats and in Out Tour, he had a pink mohawk.
- Do Not Try This at Home: One of the many humorous things Psymon says after landing a stunt in Tricky.
- I Can See My House from Here: One of his lines when he achieves big air.
- Feel No Pain: He claims that he has no nerve endings left with which to feel pain. His comments after wiping out seem ro contradict this, however.
- I Meant to Do That: One of his reactions to taking a hit.
- Ink-Suit Actor: According to his original voice actor Jim Rose, Psymon is just a fictionalized version of him.
- Kubrick Stare: Is fond of this pose.
- Large Ham: His volume is set to 10 at all times, and his voice actor is clearly enjoying playing up the insanity.
- Laughing Mad: He'll occasionally burst into manic laughter without warning.
- Not What I Signed on For: Apparently, the reason why Psymon left the tour in the first place and why he was so reluctant to signing back up on the team was because he was sick of the sponsorship and corporate dealings.
- Metal Head: According to his SSX Tricky profile. His favorite bands are Slayer and Napalm Death.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: When asked in an interview about the worst injury he's suffered, he speaks at length about a paper cut he got lemon juice in.
- The Pigpen: Kaori comments on his lack of hygiene in Tricky.Kaori: Psymon, you need a bath!Kaori: Psymon, you stinks! (sic)
Luther: You smell like the seat of my swamp buggy, boy!
- As does Luther:
- Put on a Bus: He's the ONLY one of the characters introduced in this game who averted this, and he has become a series' mainstay.
- The Prankster: He likes to leave whoopie cushions on park benches.
- The Quincy Punk: His On Tour redesign, complete with a red mohawk.
- The Rival: Kaori, who is completely terrified of the guy.
- Signature Move: Fittingly for a guy whose whole gimmick is being a crazy person, his is the Guillotine, in which he takes the board out from under his feet and spins it around his neck like a helicopter blade.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Explosives are his favourite thing in the world according to his bio.
- Talkative Loon: "FRENCH TOAST AND SYRUUUUUUUUUP!"
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Several of his outfits lack a shirt.
- You Don't Look Like You: After 3, Psymon has been unable to keep a consistent look thanks to a mix of art shifts and changes in his design. In On Tour, he looks like a punk rocker, Blur gives him dreadlocks and a thrash metal look, and in the 2012 game, he looks almost like a regular guy.
Broderick "Brodi" Ford is your prototypical surfer dude. He comes across as laid-back and spiritual, but he works hard to be buff. With his natural good looks and winning personality, girls want to be with him, and guys want to BE him. Brodi is no dummy either: he has a master's degree in Marine Science from Cal State Monterey. The spiritual side of Brodi manifests itself in his love of the ocean. Surfing is wakan, or sacred to him. Brodi feels closest to nature when he is in the water surfing, or carving its frozen form, snow. An environmental activist, Brodi believes that polluting is an act of violence against Mother Nature. But he's no extremist - at the end of the day, it's all about kicking back with your bros, and maintaining a healthy balance between mind, body, and spirit. —>SSX Tricky description
- Bare Your Midriff: Some of his outfits feature this.
- Erudite Stoner: His pseudo-Buddhist philosophical ramblings peg him as this.
- Granola Guy: He's a free spirited hippie-type guy who's close to nature and likes meditating and he's an environmentalist.
- Mr. Fanservice: He bares his midriff and some of outfits feature him surfing.
- The Rival: Luther, who's the antithesis of who he is. JP also dislikes Brodi.
- Signature Move: Fittingly for a surfer, his is the Hang 10 Backflip, which is pretty much Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Surfer Dude: Played straight.
- Technical Pacifist: He may be a peaceful guy, but that doesn't stop you from punching everybody around when you play as him. Of course, it'd be Out of Character for him to do that.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Some of his outfits.
One word best describes Marisol: Sacrilicious. She is that sacrilegious/delicious mix of innocence and raw sexuality. She loves to dance, to surf and to flirt. She would never intentionally hurt anyone. Her goal in life is to have fun. If she could, she would surf all day and party all night. She often does. While disliking rudeness and conflict in general, she has a volatile temper that she struggles to keep under control. She was introduced to SSX by JP, but soon thereafter they had a falling out. Her beauty and grace serve her well both on and off the track, but she is not always taken seriously by some of the other competitors. —>SSX Tricky description
- Absolute Cleavage: Marisol has, by far, the biggest tracts of land of any woman in the series, and her choices of outfits will not let you forget it.
- Bare Your Midriff: Some of her outfits show of her belly.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: All she really wants is to party, windsurf and snowboard. She's so wrapped up in it that she's kind of unaware of her attractiveness.
- Latin Land: The developers seem to have trouble keeping track of where Marisol's from, as even though Tricky clearly establishes her as Venezuelan, the same as her voice actress Patricia Velasquez, her trading card in 3 mistakenly lists her as a Spaniard.
- Ms. Fanservice: The most blatant one in the series.
- Odd Friendship: With Seeiah, who is a couple of years older but they are both very close.
- The Rival: Elise, and the rivalry is pretty damn heated between the both of them.
- Sensual Spandex: When they're not showing off her midriff, her outfits are form-fitting spandex.
- Signature Move: The Aerial Spock 540, which is about as close to a windsurfing move as you can pull off on a snowboard.
- Spicy Latina: Played straight.
- Token Minority: The only Latina character of the series to date.
- Woman Scorned: She got dumped by JP and she wants to beat him thoroughly on the course where they both met and broke up.
A fun-loving, confident, self-sufficient sistah is how one would describe Seeiah Owens. She has East coast urban roots that run deep through her taste in music and fashion. With her shaved head, eclectic color/fashion sense and outgoing personality, she sticks out loud and proud in the gray skies of the Pacific Northwest, where she lives now. Her trick sensibilities come from her East Coast urban inline skating background. Seeiah has brought soul to the snow. —>SSX Tricky description
- Bald Woman: Seeiah has a bald head, something that Luther makes a derisive remark at.
- Cool Big Sis: Much was made about her age (25 years old) as she was the oldest female character in Tricky. She does come off like an older sister to Marisol however.
- Genki Girl: Seeiah is energetic and fun and bold.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Seeiah is basically Macy Gray as a video game character.
- Odd Friendship: With Marisol. Seeiah did used to think she was shallow until she got to know her better.
- The Rival: Luther, who she says is "nasty; he needs a bath, and a serious attitude adjustment."
- Sassy Black Woman: Played entirely straight.
- Signature Move: The Soul Grind or as she calls it "Seeiah's Sublime Soul Grind," where she backflips in the air and actually grinds the edge of her board like a rail with her boots.
- Soul Brotha: Well, Soul Sista, really. She's funky, cool, fashion-forward and a supreme snowboarder with an inline-skating background.
- Shout-Out: Her Master-rank board is called the Funky Drummer.
- Token Minority: Seeiah is the only black woman and black American in the entire series.
Bring on the pain. Luther-Dwayne Grady never seems to feel anything. Nothing hurts. In fact, he is so big, so utterly unaware of himself, that often he doesn't even know when he hits (or is hit by) another competitor. In short, Luther-Dwayne is the typical lumbering bear, an oafish mountain of a man who has somehow managed to master snowboarding. If someone does manage to knock him down, he can be the wind of vengeance itself, and would even throw a race in an effort to exact revenge on the perpetrator. He will certainly have some choice words for the person, and will not ever forget the event. —>SSX Tricky description
- Acrofatic: The man's gut does not get in the way of his Uber tricks.
- The Brute: To JP, though JP's no Big Bad.
- Badass Biker: Rides his "hog," as he calls it, when he's not riding his snowboard.
- Bare Your Midriff: A particularly squicky version, his big fat gut sticks out in every outfit.
- Blood Knight: Actively enjoys beating the crap out of people.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: One of his quotes when selected directly addresses and insults the player.
- Catchphrase: Calls everybody he doesn't like "wimp."
- Cowboy: He's not a full-on Wild West guy, but he's got some of this trope.
- Deep South: He's very obviously supposed to be from the South and comes across as big redneck.
- '80s Hair: Wears a mullet.
- Fan Disservice: The Svelte Luther outfit. View at your own peril.
- Fat Bastard: Luther is hefty and crude. In fact, out of all the characters in the series, he has the most enemies.
- Jerkass: A big one, figuratively and literally.
- Lightning Bruiser: What he can become if you distribute your EXP right.
- Mighty Glacier: Big and slow, but when the time comes to punch people, he can more than dish it out.
- The Rival: Mac is his main rival, though he's disliked by Brodi, Seeiah, Moby, and Eddie.
- Rummage Sale Reject: All his outfits involve tacky pants and bright colors.
- Signature Move: The Bronco Buster, his signature Uber trick. He rides the board like it's a rodeo bull.
- Verbal Tic: Ends a lot of his quotes with "mama."
- Younger Than They Look: He doesn't exactly look 22.
Marty is Mac's older ex-patriot cousin. His family moved to Germany from the US in the early 80s, but still spend the holidays with family back in the states. It was during a winter vacation that Mac turned Marty onto snowboarding, and eventually the SSX World Circuit. In the off-season Marty runs an underground hip-hop club with some friends in Munich, where he doubles as a DJ. Marty is obsessed with all the adrenaline sports, especially winter sports, with snowboarding and sledding topping his list. Marty is open and easy-going, but when competing he is a perfectionist, much like his younger cousin, Mac. He does have a bit of a temper, and when pushed may become slightly unhinged. —>SSX Tricky description
- Regional Bonus: Of a sort. Marty replaces Mac entirely in Tricky for the PAL version of the game. Nobody at EA explained why Mac was replaced, but it is generally assumed that Marty was placed in to appeal to that specific market.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Other than his older age, hairstyle, and a few nods to German culture, he is basically Mac with a different skin. He has the same stats, boards, clothing, friends and rival.
Introduced in SSX 3
Born American, and damn proud of it, Griffin Simmons is the preeminent pro snowboarder riding on The Tour today. He is an Olympic gold-medal winner in boarder cross and big-air and currently holds the title of King of the Mountain according to top snowboarding magazine Shredder. In the early days, as Griffin was coming up through The Tour, his driving determination to eke out his place was nicely balanced by certain humilities that bought him easy public adoration. He was an All-American kid just trying to do well, for him and the country he loved, but, as Griffins time on The Tour stretched on, any modesty he might have had began to spoil. Griffin was becoming his own biggest fan. The fortune and fame he was amassing was very quickly going straight to his head. He became consumed by the idea of being number one; of being the greatest. His expert skills as a snowboarder only worked to facilitate his insatiable hunger for the center podium. They gave him license to be arrogant. If Griffin failed at that number one spot, whatever prize he won would go uncollected; because if he was accepting anything less than first place, he was accepting failure. —>SSX 2012 description
- The Ace: And damn knowledgeable of it.
- Black Sheep: According to him, he was.
- Big Brother Worship: Looked at Nate as a older brother figure in SSX 3.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Takes solace in the fact that he is the enemy of SSX '12
- Child Prodigy: We're introduced to him when he's twelve, and is on the pro circuit.
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": In 3's Rider Profile section, every character gets asked, "Boxers or briefs?" Griff, being 12 at the time, laughs his ass off.
- Jerk Justifications: Griff's reasons for being an asshole in SSX 2012 are a mixture of type two and type three.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: A young snowboarding prodigy who's precocious and energetic? Are we talking about Griff or Shaun White?
- Rival Turned Evil: He initially had no rival in SSX 3, but later was rivals with Zoe in ''Blur'. In SSX 2012, Zoe and Griff are arch-nemeses.
- Signature Move: The Sugar Rush, where he twirls his board around with one foot before getting back on.
- Sweet Tooth: His favorite food is "sugar-coated anything."
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Griff, in SSX 2012, is no longer that hyperactive kid that couldn't even sit still.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: SSX '12 is invoking this trope to the max, as he used to be a cute, innocent kid and now he's a corporate sellout.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Neck: Wears an American flag bandanna in SSX '12.
Allegra is, and always has been, a rebel. Fully entrenched in the snowboarding scene, she is renowned for her jibbing talents as much as she is worshipped for creative and artistic abilities and style.The best description of Allegra? Fresh. She is the real thing, and shows it with the drive of an Olympic athlete mixed with a healthy blast of teen enthusiasm to keep it real. Once a girl simply content to ride with the boys, she now leaves them behind in the clouds of her wake. —>SSX 3 character description
- Bipolar Disorder: Popular fanon has her diagnosed with this, but what we know of her personality seems to emphasize the manic parts over the depressive ones.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Relies on her natural athleticism and talent rather than training.
- Fiery Redhead: She's strawberry blonde and she's feisty.
- Girlish Pigtails: Allegra's trademark hairdo.
- The Lad-ette: Became a hard-partying wild child by the time On Tour rolled around.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: In her debut, she was basically a snowboarding Avril Lavigne. It wasn't too obvious, but the parallels are there if you're looking for them.
- The Rival: Moby is her consistent rival, though it also seems like she has plenty of hate towards Elise, even to the point of taking a swing at her.
- Signature Move: The Capo, where she spins in the air 360 degrees upside down before getting back on her board.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In On Tour, she became the "bad girl" of the circuit, picking fights and breaking Psymon's heart and just in general being a pain in the ass to deal with professionally.
- You Go, Girl!: Much emphasis is put on her racing skills and how regularly outdoes the guys and takes (or at least took) snowboarding seriously.
- Youthful Freckles: To emphasize her fresh energy.
- Zombie Apocalypse: According to her On Tour ending, Allegra transitions to acting and stars in a smash-hit zombie movie, giving herself a whole new following.
Nate Logan hails from the mountains of Colorado where two things were constant in his life: ranching and snowboarding. In the end he realized his daydreams would always be about riding the slopes, not farming cattle. The rise to fame and success for Nate was not a long one, but it definitely wasn't easy. He earned his winter lift money each summer by bouncing n backwater bars, logging, forest firefighting, or working construction, whatever it took. Winters were spent following the circuit living out of his truck. He secured himself a solid spot on the circuit through hard work and determination. —>SSX 3 character description
- Cool Big Bro: His friend in SSX 3 is the much younger Griff, and he seems like a good older brother to Tyson.
- Cowboy: Nate grew up on a ranch in Colorado, and his accessory options in 3 reference that with items like cowboy hats and lassos.
- Expy: Could be seen as one to Jurgen.
- Mountain Man: His evolution in On Tour as he isolated himself and sticks with boarding the back country and even catching his own meals.
- Put on a Bus: Leaves the series after On Tour.
- Rated M for Manly: Nate is the series' personification of rural rugged manliness, and it goes Up to Eleven in On Tour.
- Real Men Eat Meat: His favorite food? Steak.
- The Rival: Psymon, presumbly due to Psymon's unhinged nature.
- Signature Move: The Banger, where he backflips while slamming his board down like a wrestler doing a body slam.
With parents working as high-level ski instructors, Swedish-born Viggo has lived in nearly every major ski resort in the world. He continues the mountain hopping tradition by relocating on a regular basis. Throughout it all, Viggo grew into a happy-go-lucky beacon of mischief, tom-foolery, and daredevilry. He snowboards because, to him, it is the ultimate celebration of everything that is good in life. He means no harm, but inevitably leaves in his wake destroyed furniture, hefty tabs, and demented dudes unable to stop their girls from falling all over the oblivious-to-it-all Viggo. —>SSX 3 character description
- The Alcoholic: In a moment of Getting Crap Past the Radar, his bio hints that he has enough hangovers to list them as his favorite thing to hate.
- The Casanova: Indicated by his bio; he's quite the ladies' man.
- Messy Hair: Has messy blonde do as his default hair.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: His character profile says he's from Sweden. You wouldn't know it from the way he talks.
- Pretty Boy: He is young, blonde and it's indicated he looks after himself and takes care of his looks.
- Put on a Bus: He never appeared again after his debut.
- The Rival: Nate, who is pretty much his opposite.
- Signature Move: The Acrobat, where he backflips on his board while it spins.
- Third-Person Person: Refers to himself as "this guy" when performing tricks.
Introduced in SSX On Tour
Tyson is 8 years Nate's junior. Growing up on the ranch Tyson let it be known early he was the insane one in the family. His formative years were spent breaking everything he owned - bike, skateboard, dog, skis. Tyson always looked up to Nate, and often attempted bigger and better stunts just to impress him. When Nate hit the tour Tyson decided he would follow in his big bros footsteps - but in his own way - freeskiing.
Tyson has done well for being a newbie on the SSX circuit. Even at such an early stage Tyson has shown his stuff by attracting a gaggle of top name sponsors. Looking smooth and slick in free shwag - Tyson is prepping to unleash his riding insanity on his unsuspecting competitors. —>SSX On Tour description
- Big Brother Worship: He looks up to his big brother and constantly tries to out-do him.
- Flat Character: Much like the other new On Tour characters, he doesn't have a lot of dimension due that game prioritizing the create-a-character mode.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Nate's blue.
- Remember the New Guy?: Made the cover of On Tour and is positioned as the star.
- Satellite Character: He is almost entirely defined by his relationship to Nate.
- Tagalong Kid: To Nate, his older brother.
Sid is a certain 'kind' of celebrity. You're either fascinated by him, worship him, or completely despise him. Sid is a funkified philosopher who allows his unique fashion and surgical riding to do his talking. Cold, aloof, Sid is rarely seen without his massive sunglasses and serious expression. Sid rarely speaks to anyone other than his crew; he looks down upon all - especially the other SSX riders and skiers most Sid is the type of guy who would have hung around Andy Warhol and his kind, Sid's personality is quite similar - quirky, bizarre, mixed with a definite dose of the twisted.
But it all disappears on the mountain. Riding hard Sid turns into a hollering fool, distracting his competitors, pulling down wins - and establishing himself as the next wild thing. Oh yeah - he's crazy for Kaori. —>SSX On Tour description
- Cool Shades: Always wearing a pair.
- Expy: Personality-wise, Sid seems to take a lot of cues from, of all people, Kanye West. He's cultured and fashion-conscious, pretty much never smiles in public, and has a narcissistic, love-him-or-hate-him reputation among the fans.
- Hipster: He's a hipster through and through, from his fashion to his attitude.
- Only One Name: He only goes by his first name, perfectly fitting his pretentious character.
- Poisonous Friend: To Kaori, whose attitude change seems to be the result of her hanging out with him.
- Put on a Bus: Never showed up again after his debut.
- The Quiet One: If you're not in his crew, he won't talk to you.
Female skier from Australia (Gold Coast). Considered the rising star of the freeski world. Epitomizes the surfer girl persona of freshness, good health, unforced cool, and athleticism. She's a clothing sponsor's dream come true. Has a bit of an edge to her (similar to young tennis proteges who are sweet & talented, but deep down possessing an almost psychotic drive and focus). Where Allegra is rude and aggressive, Skye is chirpy and ambitious. Everything she does is for competition and hobbies are centered around improving her chances of winning on the slopes - surfing, triathlons, cycling.
There is immediate friction between her and Allegra and although Skye may be hyper and positive and she doesn't suffer fools, and doesn't like being made fun of (her accent) or challenged. Sets herself apart from the others by being known for her edge control at high speeds and dangerous high alpine challenges. —>SSX On Tour description
- All Women Love Shoes: According to DJ Atomika, she's trying to build up a collection of 365 pairs of sneakers, one for each day of the year.
- Awesome Aussie: The first and so far only SSX boarder from Australia.
- The Bus Came Back: She's the only character from On Tour to make an appearance in a later game, in Blur.
- Cowboy Cop: Supposedly becomes one of these after she retires from snowboarding, at least according to the ending of On Tour.
- Fiery Redhead: Bottle-red hair? Check. Fiercely competitive? Check.
- The Rival: Allegra, who is her foil.
- Plucky Girl: She's described as cheery and positive and she puts that energy in her athletic endeavors including snowboarding.
Introduced in SSX Blur
A Montrealer new to the SSX Circuit, his father's business has allowed him to train on most of the highest mountains around the world. He's a world class competitor with a heart of gold, and a stomach full of poutine. ->SSX Blur Description
- Canada, Eh?: From Montreal, to be specific.
- Flat Character: He's from Quebec, he likes poutine, and thanks to the fact that none of the characters in Blur have voice-acting, that's really about all we know about him.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Poutine.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Wears a snapback with a design based on the flag of Quebec.
- Canada, Eh?: She's an indigenous Canadian.
- Expy: Fills a role similar to Brodi as the chill, spiritually-minded member of the cast.
- Flat Character: Again, because Maya only appears in Blur and doesn't have any of her own voice acting to speak of, all we really know about her is what we're told.
- In Harmony with Nature: At least according to DJ Atomika, Maya is also an environmental activist when not out on the slopes.
- Token Minority: She's Inuit, making her the only rider representing an indigenous people.
Introduced in SSX (2012)
- Badass Family: Comes from a line of Olympic-level skiiers, but bucks her family's legacy by choosing snowboarding over skis.
- Birds of a Feather: She and Elise are friends in 2012, both are beautiful, athletic models.
- Composite Character: Basically, take JP's stylish French shtick from the first game, combine it with Elise's beauty and moonlighting as a model, and throw a dash of Angelina Jolie in, and you have Alex.
- Fashion Model: Alexis is a well-known supermodel on top of being one of the most elite snowboarders on the planet.
- Gender-Blender Name: Alexis is more commonly a boy's name in France.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Referred to as beautiful, and she's an in-demand model.
- Red Baron: "The Chamonix Assassin"
- The Rival: Moby, for whatever reason.
- Signature Move: The Catwalk, which involves her doing a backbend on her board before twirling around it.
- Statuesque Stunner: Stands at six foot even.
- Token Minority: The only female character from Europe in the entire series.
- Woman in White: Default outfit includes a white snow jacket and white hat.
- Expy: He's Brodi, but tanner and without the spiritual trappings.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Dressed in tie-dye and other hippie clothing as well as being easy going and friendly.
- Remember the New Guy?: He's introduced as a founding member of Team SSX, and is apparently an old friend of Zoe's, despite never having appeared in any of the previous games.
- Signature Move: The Big Drop-In, where he gets off his board and clutches his board with his hands like a surfer about to ride a wave.
- Surfer Dude: He is also a surfer as well as a snowboarder.
- Token Minority: He's the only Pacific Islander character in the series.
Growing up in the remote town of Tromsø, Norway —- known as the gateway to the Artic —- Ty began crafting his skill as a snowboarder at a very early age. Never quite finding the success in competition he eventually ended up working as a test rider for the Tour —- a job that offered all the riding and none of the pressure the others had to deal with. His easy-going manner, insane skills and fearless attitude caught the attention of Zoe Payne. It was an easy decision to ask Ty to join her new team, and just as easy for Ty to accept. —>SSX 2012 description
- Flat Character: Really, all there is to know about him is he's Norwegian and a great snowboarder.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Like Viggo above, he lacks any sort of Scandinavian accent, despite hailing from Norway.
- Repetitive Name: The fact his first name is Thor is only referenced on the character select menu. Also makes him an Awesome Mc Coolname.
- The Rival: Elise, for whatever reason.
- Signature Move: The Test Pilot where he gets off his board and twirls it all around body from side to side and up and down.