I'm Queen of the Andals,
Queen of the Meereen
Yeah! You can kiss m' sandals."
A character kissing someone's hand is used sometimes for romance, and other times to show humility. Sometimes, though, it's not the hand they kiss, but they aim much lower ...no, they don't stop there! Get Your Mind Out of the Gutter! They kiss the foot.
Kissing someone's feet (or shoes) can mean many different things. It often means an even greater humility than hand-kissing, or even more often can be used to show submission ("Now you have to kiss my feet!") or devotion. Less often, it is used romantically. In period settings, kissing the hem of a woman's gown is a common substitution. Quite a few egotistical and evil characters demand from their underlings this gesture as a sign of acceptance of their dominance, without always seeing The Starscream who swallows his pride and plays along for some time.
- In an old Italian commercial for Ollis socks, after a man plays footsie with two women in a restaurant and one of them starts to dance in her socks, the man takes off one of her socks and kisses her bare foot.
- The foot massage in that episode of Death Note is considered fetish material by some, but given the rather blatant religious symbolism in the series, it can be interpreted in a number of ways.
- In Akame ga Kill!, Esdeath makes Numa Seika lick her boots, on his knees, naked, and on a chain. She also tortured him to the point that he's euphoric about this.
- Akio in Revolutionary Girl Utena is a master of foot kissing, and memorably does it to Mrs. Ohtori. Unusually, it's actually a sign of dominance, showing how he was able to use sex to cut off her attempts to usurp his authority as chairman.
- In Kunihiko Ikuhara's series Penguindrum, the second OP has a scene where Yuri swings her foot and it looks she'll get this from Tabuki. There's a subversion, though. we see him kiss a little girl's foot instead of Yuri's. (The little girl is Momoka, Tabuki and Yuri's deceased childhood friend/love)
- Since he has a foot fetish (among many others), Hideo Aiba from Sundome kisses Kurumi Sahana's feet several times.
- Shimoneta: In episode 8, Kosuri plays on Tanukichi's insecurities by claiming she had accomplished more for SOX than he had, and mused she could easily convince Ayame to kick him out. ...Unless he could persuade her not to by licking her foot. It's implied that he submits, though isn't shown onscreen.
- Prison School: During the boys' first day in prison, Meiko orders Andre to lick her boots for shielding Jo from one of her beatings. She relents when Kiyoshi points out that she's taking things too far. Oddly enough Andre gets angry at Kiyoshi since he actually likes being bullied by Meiko.
- During the cavalry battle, Meiko and Risa both compete for Andre's attention by offering their shoes for him to lick. As Andre is tempted by both, their offers escalate: Meiko spits on her shoe to add to its appeal to Andre, whereas Risa offers to let him lick both her shoes. Meiko then verbally berates Andre, knowing he enjoys it. In retaliation, Risa kicks off both her shoes and dangles her bare feet in front of Andre's face. The boys watching the scene unfold note that Risa has deliberately chosen to not wear socks in her sneakers that day (to a sports festival, when even Hana, who on any other day would never wear socks, has on a pair of no-show socks in her shoes) just to make her feet as stinky and drenched in sweat as possible because she knows Andre would like it.
- In Negima! Magister Negi Magi, after Negi asks Evangeline if she will teach him magic. Her response:"Lick my feet and be my slave". She promptly gets kicked in the head by Asuna. Since Negi wasn't entirely aware of the implications it looks like he may have actually done it if Asuna had not stepped in on his behalf.
- Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple has Nijima telling Kenichi to kiss his foot in exchange for some information. Kenichi decides to just beat it out of him.
- Princess Resurrection just comes out and calls the ED "Kneel Down And Lick My Feet."
- A bratty student in Great Teacher Onizuka has a teacher waiting on her hand and foot, but when she tries to blackmail Onizuka into licking her toes as well he just responds by removing one of his (incredibly stinky) socks and telling her to do it first.
- In MariaHolic, Mariya has Shizu kiss his foot because of a technicality of Kanokon discovering Shizu's gender and Mariya trying to use that to his advantage.
- Used in Red River (1995), when Urhi and Nakia use Mind Control on Rusafa to kidnap Yuri. Rusafa has a not-so-secret love for Yuri, and then Urhi leaves, saying Rusafa can finally do whatever he wants to her. Instead of doing something one might expect after everything else so far in the series, Rusafa just kisses Yuri's feet over and over.
- In Episode 2 of Umineko: When They Cry, Beatrice demands that Kanon and later Battler kiss her feet to signify their surrender and total submission to her.
- In episode 9 of Black Butler an old man is seen briefly kissing the foot of the much younger Alois and later Ciel. In episode 10, Claude is basically orgasming over Ciel, even going as far as to kiss his foot, while Sebastian is watching outside of the mansion with a somewhat jealous face.
- In chapter 91 of Code:Breaker, the main character Ogami defeats his self-proclaimed nemesis Haruto the Mercenary. After knocking him to the floor, Ogami steps on his face and says that he is "purchasing him", and demands that he lick and kiss his shoes and feet. He later reveals that it was all an act, to try and get Haruto to repent.
- In ReZero Priscilla tells Subaru to lick her feet. He almost does so.
- In Accel World, Haruyuki does this for Niko after she agrees to teach him and Takumu about the incarnate system. She responds by kicking him.
- In Food Wars!, Erina Nakiri's eggs benedict is so exquisite, it causes people to instinctively bow down to her and kiss her foot◊. It's just an imaginary reaction, of course.
- In Yuri!!! on Ice, after Yuri does his best-ever performance of the Eros program, his proud coach and boyfriend Victor kisses his boot on international TV.
- Inu × Boku SS: Soushi kiss Ririchiyo's foot in the first episode as a vow to serve her. Also used later in Soushi's backstory as characterization with Kagerou commanding him to kiss his foot upon their first meeting. Soushi went to do it without hesitation but Kagerou didn't actually expect him to do it.
- Fate/Grand Order - Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia: Ishtar demands Ritsuka to kiss her foot to establish a Master-Servant contract once she's bribed into joining their side. Mash is not amused with this.
- In Sailor Moon, Galaxia has Tuxedo Mask note kiss her lips, brooch, and foot. And while he's down on the floor she kicks him brutally in the head. All this is for a horrified Usagi's benefit.
- This is depicted in many drawings from Book of Idolatry, a cycle of works by the Polish artist and writer Bruno Schulz.
- Used when X-Men member Chamber is forced to kiss the boot of a bully at the school where he was operating undercover. Having no mouth, Chamber instead spent the time down there tying the bully's shoes together.
- In Green Lantern, Star Sapphire hypnotized Aresia into kissing her boot-clad foot.
- The cover of a Superman issue has him being forced to kiss Star Sapphire's feet.
- In Batman: It's Joker's Time, The Joker gets Barry Dancer to get down on his hands and knees and lick the top and bottom of his shoes.
- In Batman & Robin: Adventures #8, Poison Ivy brainwashes and enslaves Robin, and the first thing she gets him to do is kiss her foot.
- Wonder Woman Vol 1: When Queen Atomia's court is first seen, one of her "subjects" is just rising from kneeling at her feet to do kiss her feet.
- Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia, As part of the titular Hiketeia ritual, a potential supplicant must prostrate themselves and this involves kissing the foot and thigh region of the person they wish to protect them. The character Danny does this to Diana when she comes looking for sanctuary from Batman and the police. Batman attempts this also but it gets him a foot to the face.
- Gahan Wilson once drew a cartoon for The New Yorker which depicts a psychiatrist kissing his male patient's foot, while the patient growls "Doctor, this is not helping my messiah complex!"
- In a number of Doctor Who fanfics, the Doctor has a fetish for River Song's feet (possibly as a result of her walking barefoot in the TARDIS in "The Time of Angels"), and sometimes invokes this trope, with her teasing him as well.
- Sunsplit Saga: In "Sunsplit", after Twilight promises something very important to Sunburst, he does this, or I Kiss Your Hand, as hooves serve as both, and it's not mentioned which one he's kissing, and then Starlight walks in:
"...why is Sunburst kissing your hoof?"
"...Princess," the stallion said with utmost sincerity, "please just kill me now."
- A fan picture of The Powerpuff Girls titled "Princess Morbucks' last ditch attempt to be a Powerpuff Girl" shows Princess on her knees kissing Blossom's foot.
Blossom: (to us, resignedly) Pathetic, isn't it?
- In the Fate/Prototype and A Song of Ice and Fire fic Game of Fate, Arthur Pendragon needs armor and a horse to compete in a jousting tournament. Joffrey Baratheon says he'll give him some if Arthur kisses his boot. Arthur gets slightly pissed off, but swallows his pride and complies. Joffrey keeps his word... by giving him old and subpar equipment and an ill-tempered horse, but Arthur has the skills to make it work.
- In The Lion King (1994), when Pumbaa finds out that Simba is the king, he starts groveling, trying to kiss Simba's paws.
- In A Clockwork Orange, Alex DeLarge is forced to lick the sole of the shoe of a man who's bullying him on stage to show off how "reformed" he is.
- In Baazigar, Villain Protagonist Ajay kisses the feet of his girlfriend Seema, the daughter of his nemesis Chopra, before pushing her to her death.
- The producer in Barton Fink tries to make his assistant kiss Fink's feet, but when the confused assistant fails to do so, he does it himself. Which makes the Downer Ending even more of a downer.
- Call Me by Your Name (2017): After Elio (Timothée Chalamet) gets a bloody nose, Oliver (Armie Hammer) gives him a secret foot massage, and then he kisses Elios foot.
- In Cherry Falls (2000), Jody Marken (Brittany Murphy) tells her boyfriend Kenny (Gabirel Mann) to bite her toe, and as he sucks her toe, she continuously tells him to "bite harder" as she slaps his face with her other foot.
- An instance between Kirill and Nikolai occurs very briefly in Eastern Promises. It's because Kirill's ridiculously drunk, though, and crushing on him to boot. Given how uncoordinated he is, it's more like falling on his shoes, too.
- In From Dusk Till Dawn (1996), there's a scene where Richard Gecko (Quentin Tarantino, who has a well-known foot fetish) sucks tequila from Santanico Pandemonium's (Salma Hayek) toes.
- From Russia with Love - Red Grant is enough of a psycho sadist that merely killing Bond wouldn't be enough:
The first shot won't kill you. Neither will the second, nor the third...not until you crawl over here and kiss my foot!
- Goldengirl (1979). The title character is an Olympic-grade track runner. When James Coburn's character goes to kiss her, she pushes him away and tells him to kiss her feet, as "You owe a hell of a lot to them."
- The title character and heroine of Great Catherine (Jeanne Moreau) tickle-tortures Peter O'Toole's character (who is tied up at her feet) with her toes, and then makes him kiss her bare foot.
- In Local Hero Danny Olsen meets Marina on the beach - during some tenuous flirtation he starts to kiss her foot (as she's in a full-body wetsuit, it's about the only exposed skin) and discovers with some surprise that she has webbed toes.
- In Malcolm X, Malcolm makes his white girlfriend do this, showing that he has some measure of control over her.
- Used in the Indian movie Mohabbatein: Raj points out that touching someone's feet should be done out of respect, but most students in the school do this to the principal out of fear. Then at the end of the movie, when the principal announces that he's going to step down and leave Raj in charge of the school, Raj does touch his feet. It's all very dramatic. Most Bollywood movies have an example of this since touching your elder's feet is a traditional sign of respect in India.
- In Polish Wedding (1998), Hala tells her boyfriend to take off her shoe and kiss her now-bare foot.
- In Howard Stern's autobiographical film/book Private Parts, Howard kisses his co-host, Robin Quivers' foot as part of an attempt to get her back on his radio show.
- In Trouble Bound (1993), Patricia Arquette's character orders a guy to kneel before, kiss and lick her toes. When he is licking her toes, she fires at his car.
- The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, Alexei drops a hors d'oeuvre on the toe of his boot and forces Angelica to lick it off to demonstrate that he owns her.
- After undergoing the Ludovich technique, Alex from A Clockwork Orange is forced into a series of public, humiliating situations to prove that he's been "reformed" — the first one ends with him licking a bully's shoes in an attempt to stop him from further beating him up, since he can't fight back without becoming nauseous.
- In Bearhead, Madame Hexaba demands Bearhead kiss her feet to show his sincere remorse after his first mess-up. He does as he's told, but rather than kneeling to reach her feet, he pulls her feet up to his face.
- In Carpe Jugulum, Igor describes the Old Count as "a gentleman, whose boots I was not fit to lick clean", before adding that, nonetheless, he did.
- In the Hurog duology, a slave does this to the master. Bastilla to Kariarn, more precisely. The main characters think it is disgusting as it serves mainly as symbol of slavery and subservience.
- In A Song of Ice and Fire Daenerys ends up getting her bare feet kissed numerous times, often while astride a horse. Lampshaded once when an old enemy hiding among the slaves Daenerys has freed uses the opportunity for an attempted assassination. "I knew you'd come to get your feet kissed one day."
- The Death Eaters do this with Voldemort, specifically upon his return in the Little Hangleton Graveyard.
- A variant in Andre Norton's historical novel Shadow Hawk: the hero Rahotep, at an audience with Pharaoh Kamose, was about to kiss the ground in front of the ruler's feet in accordance with protocol. But Kamose slid a foot forward, granting Rahotep the special honor of touching the royal person. Particularly impressive to the witnesses as the hero had just recently been under suspicion of treason.
- You want to know why The Bible makes such a big deal about Jesus washing the feet of the Apostles? Just like the modern Arabs, Hebrews regarded feet as particularly loathsome, and foot-washing was the closest one could get to foot-kissing without debasing oneself. That Jesus would wash somebody else's feet was a mark of exceptional humility for someone claiming to be a Messianic Archetype and the rightful King of the Jews.
- Mentioned several times in Lois Mcmaster Bujold's Chalion universe, especially in The Curse of Chalion. Normal respectful greetings involve kissing the back of a person's hands. When it's a high superiornote one adds their feet as well.
- In Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence, Newland Archer kisses Countess Olenska's shoes.
- In The Scarlet Pimpernel, Percy kisses every step that his estranged wife has taken, showing that despite their problems, he is still desperately in love with her.
- In the second Circle Opens book, Evvy kisses the foot of Lady Zenadia (the Big Bad of the book) after she's been kidnapped and taken to the lady's home, but it's only part of her act to fool the lady into thinking she's grateful to be living with and working for her.
- A scene in Bentley Little's The Store has a rather...zealous... shoe department associate kiss and suck a customer's toes while she's trying on a pair of sandals she ordered. The customer then asks for two pair of the sandals.
- In Fear, the fourth book in the Gone series, Penny (who has powers of illusion) makes Cigar see hallucinations and makes him believe that she has candies and that they were delicious. She eventually she made him lick her foot in order for him to get some red vines from her.
- Outlander has Jaime Fraser giving a foot massage to his wife, Claire, and kissing the tip of her toe while discussing his reasons for not killing Jack Randall and declaring that he's her husband no matter what. There's also the fifth book, The Fiery Cross where Claire is sleeping and having an Erotic Dream as a horse in a heat until she wakes up and finds out that someone has been fondling and ticking her feet. The scene is described in detail, as if a fetish is being played out.
- In Fifty Shades of Grey, there were scenes of Christian caressing and kissing Anastasia's feet, particularly during their first time of having sex. This is more about arousing Anastasia than submitting to her since Christian is the dominant. However, there's that one time that Anastasia wanted to lick Christian's feet, which is a straight example.
- Captive Prince: This is a common occurrence when the slaves declared to serve for their masters. For example, Damen vows to serve for Laurent but to do that, he has to kiss Laurent's boot.
- In The Redemption of Althalus, a dead duke's (largely ignored) advisor remarks that if he knew who had arranged the duke's death, he'd lick the "benefactor's" feet in gratitude. Unbeknownst to him, the woman he was talking to was, in fact, the unknown "benefactor". She remarks that her feet are a bit dirty at the moment, but she'd be willing to discuss the idea once she's had time to bathe.
- In A Sorceress Reconstructed, there are many times when Zara's loyal supporters kiss her always bare feet.
- In Blackpool, DI Carlisle does this to Natalie.
- Used in a demeaning fashion by the female party on an episode of Blind Date. Being a real demeaning type, she told the man to kiss her ankle — and he DID!
- Devoted husband Mack in Clocking Off kisses his unfaithful wife Catherine's foot in one episode.
- An especially ugly example in the Cold Case episode "Who's Your Daddy?", in which a sleazy construction foreman blackmailed the wives of his illegal immigrant workers into providing sexual favors for him in exchange for not turning them in to the INS. He'd make them start out by licking his boots, presumably before forcing them to move... upward.
- On the news show Countdown With Keith Olbermann, Keith named Bill O'Reilly the "Worst Person In The World" for re-running an interview with the late George Carlin where Bill questioned Carlin about the use of profanity as a selling point, when Bill used profanity in the now infamous Inside Edition outtake ([[Jerkass, the day after Carlin's death]]). Keith mentioned that Bill was "insulting a man whose boots he was not worthy to lick."
- Firefly. Mal is so thrown when his new "bride" Saffron offers to wash his feet that he leaves the room. Inara doesn't see the big deal, as it's part of her repertoire as a professional courtesan. This is an early clue that Saffron has the same training and is playing Mal.
- The Goodies. In the South Africa episode, Bill Oddie becomes a second-class citizen and gets treated accordingly.
Policeman: Boy, lick my boots!
Bill: Ma tongue is slavering for your boots!
- The tirade of the chef in the Monty Python "Dirty Fork Sketch", after the manager has a meltdown over the fork:
You bastards! You heartless vicious bastards! He's worked his fingers to the bones to make this place what it is, and you come in here with your petty, heartless, vicious quibblings and you grind him into the dirt??! (Becoming emotional) This fine, honorable man whose boots you are not worthy to kiss?! Oh, it makes me mad! (drives cleaver into the table) Stark-stirring mad!!
- In Once Upon a Time Rumplestiltskin, before becoming The Dark One, was forced to do this to prevent his son from being drafted into a war against ogres. When he became The Dark One, he made other people do it.
- In Oz Schillinger forces Beecher to lick his boots after Beecher spoke up without permission.
- Rome. Atia's slave kisses her feet in gratitude after she says she won't geld him for a screw-up, though only because eunuchs aren't fashionable at the moment.
- In an episode of Saturday Night Live featuring actor Zac Efron, one skit involved Efron's character going to his "brother" (played by Jason Sudeikis) for advice on how to act during an intimate date. Sudeikis begins giving Efron advice on how to give a foot massage, and as it progresses into odder and odder territory, Sudeikis begins demonstrating on Efron's bare foot — at one point, Sudeikis decided to stick as much of Efron's foot as possible into his mouth. This moment was unscripted, making Efron's look of horror as Sudeikis sucks his toes a genuine reaction.
- In the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Q2", Q tries to kiss Captain Janeway in the bathtub, but she blocks him from getting closer by raising her foot, so he kisses that instead.
- In Ugly Betty, Bradford Mead had a foot fetish, which is how Wilhemina got her hooks into him.
- In V (1983)'s second miniseries, the human collaborator Daniel forces some college schlub to lick his boots.
- An unusual instance occurs in a clip on World's Dumbest... when a drunk driver desperate to not get arrested tries to convert to Christianity on the spot and offers to kiss the officer's feet.
- In Locked Up, at one point, Anabel makes Bambi lick her foot.
- Ali Project's "Hizamazuite Ashi Wo Oname (English Subs)." The title translates to "kneel down and lick my feet."
- The Blue Öyster Cult's song "She's As Beautiful As A Foot" fits here...
- Skillet's "My Obsession" mentioning kissing one's feet, more specifically Jesus, while proclaiming the singer's love for Him.
- The Velvet Underground's Venus in Furs, celebrating that great German the Count de Masoch (yes, him...)
Kiss the boot, of shiny, shiny, leather...
- Early on in his tenure in the WWF in 1987, Ted DiBiase paid a fan $100 to kiss his foot in the ring, as a way of showing that "everyone has a price, for the Million Dollar Man". The fan grew up to become Rob Van Dam.
- After winning the King of the Ring competition, WWE superstar Booker T became "King Booker", an arrogant Heel who made other wrestlers kiss his foot, sometimes by force.
- Jerry "The King" Lawler initiated a match against then-rival Bret Hart at King of the Ring '95, where the loser had to kiss the winner's foot. Lawler lost the match, and it was not pleasant for him, to say the least.
- Occasionally put into use on the independent circuit, notably by Davey Richards (who then will follow up with spitting in his opponent's face and/or kicking them in the head).
- Delirious has been known to wrestle barefoot and stick his bare feet in the faces of, and/or trample his opponent's heads with them after working up a sweat.
- On a March 2015 edition of TNA Impact, Brutus Magnus kissed the boot of Bram to stop him from beating his wife with a 'cue ball'.
- Pistol in William Shakespeare's Henry V has these lines:
The king's a bawcock, and a heart of gold,
A lad of life, an imp of fame;
Of parents good, of fist most valiant.
I kiss his dirty shoe, and from heart-string
I love the lovely bully.
- Caliban in William Shakespeare's The Tempest has these lines:
Ill show thee every fertile inch o' th' island
And I will kiss thy foot. I prithee, be my god.
- In RENT, when Maureen is attempting to make up with Joanne over the phone, she offers total submission:
"I'll kiss your Doc Martens; let me kiss your Doc Martens; your every wish I will obey!"
- This lasts about a month-and-a-half before Maureen gets bored of playing that role and goes back to playing herself in full-on diva mode.
- Azure Dreams: Selfi, one of the potential romantic interests in the game, at one point suggests that you kneel down and worship her beautiful body, starting by kissing her foot.
- In Umineko: When They Cry Beatrice demands Battler, once he loses the game, take off his clothes, kneel down, and kiss her feet - as a sign of humiliation and submission. And he eventually does it, though the scene itself is not directly shown in the novel. She also forces Kanon to do this, though without getting naked.
- Chapter 33 of Furry Fight Chronicles has a variation of this gesture as its cover page and climax. After spending most of her time bullying Mellow, Nyarai has Mellow, under Jowdie's suggestion kneel down and beg her to smell her feet to see if they smell like popcorn as suggested by a rumor Jowdie heard about cat paw pads. Realizing that Nyarai is ordering to do so under threat of assault, Mellow complies and realizes that her paws do smell like popcorn. Nyarai and Jowdie are amused by his honesty, causing Nyarai to stop bullying him and develop a liking towards Mellow.
- Scandinavia and the World illustrates the tale of a time the king of the Franks told a party of Danes to kiss his feet. He had a rather unique interpretation of that demand. (As noted in the commentary below the comic, this is based on a historical anecdote.)
- In Seiyuu CRUSH!, Hiroki clearly has a thing for Masuji's feet, and has kissed them on a few occasions.
- A frequent source of fetish material in Tales of MU, between Mackenzie and Amaranth or Mackenzie and Sooni. Mack most certainly does not want to worship at their feet. Nope. Not at all.
- In Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, Blue Falcon is demoted to restroom attendant. When Harvey Birdman comes by, Blue Falcon starts groveling, kissing Birdman's feet. Then he insists on being kicked and spat on, and takes it as an insult that Birdman declined.
- Subverted with Mort in The Penguins of Madagascar, who is obsessed with King Julien, especially his majestys feet. It's more than just a fetish.
- Animaniacs: The Goodfeathers, Bobby, Pesto, and Squitt, all kiss The Godpigeon's feet every time he appears. Usually both Bobby and Pesto kisses one foot, and Squitt kisses the other.
- In Batman: The Animated Series episode "Fear of Victory", Scarecrow mentions using his Fear Toxin to bring the people of Gotham to their knees and in his own words "...Kissing my feet!"
- Rarity kissing Princess Celestia's hooves in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Sweet and Elite", much to Celestia's discomfort.
- Barney nearly makes Fred kiss his in an episode of The Flintstones.
- In Spongebob Squarepants, SpongeBob and Patrick travel back to medieval times and King Krabs realizes that they are the heroes an ancient prophecy depicts. He then starts kissing their feet as an apology for trying to execute them moments earlier.
Patrick: I guess this is what they call the royal treatment.
- In Sabrina: The Animated Series, "Witch Switch", witch Gem made Harvey her hypnotized slave and forced him to kiss her feet.
- In the Adventures of the Gummi Bears episode "Toadie the Conqueror", Toadwart orders everyone to line up and kiss his feet every morning after he conquers Dunwyn. It should be noted that this (and forcing people to wear shirts with his face on them) are pretty much all he does with the nation he's conquered, as he isn't very bright (only progressing from lackey to conqueror because the magic armor that was the MacGuffin of the episode happened to be his size) and doesn't know how to actually rule a kingdom.