Polish Wedding revolves around a Polish-American family in a suburb of Detroit, Jadzia Pzoniak (Lena Olin) is the matriarch of the family, she married Bolek (Gabriel Byrne) while she was pregnant. She has five kids, sons Ziggy, who recently married Sofia and is a new father to a baby boy who is almost inconsolable, Witek, Koz, Kris and a daughter Hala (Claire Danes) who is rebellious and habitually flirts and has sex with men, Russell (Adam Trese) a cop, gets her pregnant and as a result Jadzia and the rest of the family pressures Russell to marry Hala.
This film provides examples of:
- The Baby Trap: This was the case with Jadzia, Sofia, and with Hala.
- Babies Ever After: Hala gives birth to a baby girl towards the final scene.
- Berserk Button: Sofia is irritated when Jadzia calls her "Gypsy" and reminds her she's Syrian.
- Dysfunctional Family
- Everybody Smokes: Hala and youngest son Kris, Bolek even smokes at the breakfast table in front of his new grandson.
- Generation Xerox: Hala inherits Jadzia's free-spirited and sexual nature, resulting in her pregnancy.
- I Want Grandkids: Jadzia proclaims this despite already having a brand new grandson.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: There are five kids: four sons and one daughter.
- Outnumbered Sibling: Hala is the token daughter of five kids.
- Period Piece: It's not exactly known when the film is set, the time period is estimated to take place in the 1970s.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: When Russell and Hala make love, the camera pans to the traffic lights.
- Shotgun Wedding: Jadzia eloped to Bolek while she was pregnant with Ziggy, Ziggy got married to Sofia when she was pregnant with their child and Hala does the same when she gets pregnant by Russell.
- Teenage Pregnancy: Hala, who is a high school dropout, becomes pregnant.
- Your Cheating Heart: Jadzia cheats on Bolek with Roman while scrubbing floors at work.