Character sheet for Keychain of Creation.
Misho (Twilight Caste Solar)
The intelligent, compassionate leader of the band and initiator of the quest. He has perfect memories of his life in the First Age, but no memory of his current life before Exaltation.
- Badass Bookworm: He is quite the bookworm, but being a Solar, he's by definition Badass.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: A rather bad case, Misho being a chronic sufferer for over a millennium. If things get bad enough though, he slips into Samaritan Syndrome which never works out well. Luckily he has a fairly well-seasoned Heroic Safe Mode just in case this happened (although it doesn't always work).
- Cure for Cancer: In strip 337, he notes that it's easy once you know how.
- Heroic BSoD: Several times due to the Great Curse.
- Improbable Weapon User: His "sword" is a giant magical key.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: He certainly comes across this way — not that having 5 Compassion isn't sometimes a serious problem...
- Informed Ability: Misho favors Awareness as an ability. We're reminded of this every time he fails an Awareness roll, like in strip 86.
- It's Personal: Misho has a particular hatred for the Raksha. The exact reasons are unspecified, but they include having murdered his son (or rather, murdering the son of his original incarnation. It's complicated...).
- Magic Knight: He's a Twilight Caste and a sorcerer.
- Meaningful Name: Twice over, no less."And one of these kings was called Misho, and he was named Thrice-Radiant. To his peers, this was for his sorcery, his memory, and his swordsmanship. To the common people, it was for his insight, his charisma, and his compassion."
- Parodied — he has both the Past Life merit AND Eidetic Memory.Secret: How many merits do you have?!?
- Also subverted. He's got amnesia of his pre-Exalted life, and Nightmares ("It's not worth the three points.") Oh, and the Eidetic Memory resulted from his sacrifice of ignorance to gain the third circle of Sorcery. Which is part of what led to his lonely death in his first incarnation.
- Parodied — he has both the Past Life merit AND Eidetic Memory.
- Mysterious Past: While from a munchkin perspective an Exalt not remembering his pre-Exalted life is normal, it's very odd for a character. Lampshaded.Secret: ...you realize that is extremely suspicious.
Misho: Yes, we've discussed it. At length.
Marena: I've got ten obols on robot clone!
Ten: I'll take a piece of that action!
- Necromancer: He was around when the magic was developed, though he's only used it to summon the spirit of Secret's father.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: One might get this opinion from his adamant refusal to Marena's advances, but it's actually because he doesn't want a Friends with Benefits relationship like she wants. He wants a full-on Relationship Upgrade.
- Samaritan Syndrome: Misho was already a sufferer of Chronic Hero Syndrome when he first reigned in the First Age, but then he saw the Loom Of Fate and threw himself off the deep end via With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility to become the living embodiment of this trope. His story is not a happy one.
- The Smart Guy: As Secret said he "must be some kind of super-genius" and probably is. The eidetic memory helps.
- Stern Teacher: Both played with and played straight when it came to teaching Sorcery.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: He personally forged the Keys, as well as the Blade of Vitality.
Marena of the Red Crescent (Changing Moon Caste Lunar, fox totem)
Original Name: Ragara Marena
A flirtatious, fun-loving, confident woman who is much more than meets the eye.
- Action Mom: Not only is she the Team Mom of the group, but she's looking for her lost daughter.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Generally, no. She's too down to earth for that. But when Misho wants to change the subject away from cutting his hair...
- Attractive Bent-Gender: She's a Lunar; it comes with the territory.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With everyone, but especially with Secret and Misho.
- Boring, but Practical: She doesn't use martial arts or weapons. She hits people with large rocks.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Totally normal for a Southerner, but her personality fits the trope.
- Distinction Without a Difference: Due to her Mommy Issues, she doesn't refer to Aria as her "mother" but "the woman in whose body Karena and I were lodged in for a year".
- Fantastic Arousal: Her fox ears, although this trope's only been visited once in the comic so far. Shown here.
- Guile Hero: Doesn't stop her from kicking ass on occasion, but she is definitely not the action type.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Her father's identity is unclear, since her mother gets around as much as she does.
- Ms. Fanservice:
- Mr. Vice Guy: Ms. Vice Girl: Marena's lack of sexual ethics is called out by Secret, and she's not remotely chivalrous about it, but she's otherwise not that bad of a person.
- Older Than They Look: As Secret pointed out, she looks like she's in her twenties, instead of thirty-eight.
- Really Gets Around: Seen here. Apparently it's In the Blood, see Aria, below.
- Silver Fox: Both figuratively and literally. She's thirty eight years old (46 in Earth years, which is a lot given the expected lifespan of mortals in Creation), and according to Secret, doesn't look a day out of her twenties.. Of course, being a Celestial Exalted and barring death or horrible mutation, she's going to maintain that figure for the next thousand years and more. In fact, by the game rules, those tattoos mean only death can take that figure away from her. 'Cause, you know, this is Exalted.
- Team Mom: She can be really motherly with Secret and Misho.
- Training from Hell: Grew up with the sociopolitical version of this thanks to her mother. It's the reason they're so estranged.
Secret (Day Caste Abyssal)
Full Name: The Most Secret And Sorrowful Of The Bearers Of The Endless Destiny Of All Creation Which Wander Amidst Forgotten Sights And Fallen Tears Along The Tread Of Ancient Ashen Footsteps Through The Shadow Of That Which Comes And Into That Riotous Cacophony Which Births All Fools And Steals All Beauty, Who Heralds Through Her Silence The Stillness And Chill Of Those Who Were Not Born And Who Will Fade 'Till All Things Fall And In That Most Grim Harvest Form The Final Restful Tomb Of All Awakened Life And All The Sleepless De— (At this point she collapsed.)
Original Name: Dernelle
A renegade Deathknight, formerly in service to the Silver Prince, who hasn't yet felt able to live up to her Exaltation.
- Badass Adorable: Meek, timid, and deadly to anything living.
- Boring, but Practical: DODGE CHARMS are good for just about everything, like avoiding blood, as said in strip 9.
- Butt-Monkey: If anyone's gonna get picked on, it's usually Secret.
- Character Tics: Touching her necklace when she's anxious.
- Covert Pervert:
- Dark Is Not Evil: She was pretty crappy at the whole "doomy harbinger of the death of all reality" thing.
- Deal with the Devil: Like all Abyssals, she got where she is today by swearing herself to a Deathlord in exchange for something — survival from a plague, in her case.
- Defector from Decadence: Though as a renegade Deathknight there's a limit to how far she can get away from what she's become. She's prone to the occasional Resonance blowout.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength:
- Secret seems to have... a little too much aptitude with Water Dragon Style. She has the same problem with Sorcery.
- Since her backstory exposition, we also know that when she Exalted, the Silver Prince made sure to fetch her with his two best Deathknights. Secret's hiding some Essence!
- Enemy to All Living Things: As a renegade Deathknight, any living creature she may happen to care about has a distinct possibility of simply dropping dead from the wrath of the Neverborn.
- Fish out of Water: She's basically a normal girl forced to be something horrible.
- Fragile Speedster: Has no Stamina. Can't take a hit. Has dodge charms that ensure that she never gets hit.
- Heroic Bastard: Explaining her strong feelings on Marena's homewrecking.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Needs to drink the blood of sentient creatures to regain Essence.
- Meaningful Rename: It comes with being an Abyssal. She had to cast aside her original name and take a new one.
- Name That Unfolds Like Lotus Blossom: Exaggerated, even by Exalted standards.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Disappointed to find out that she doesn't need to drink blood to regain Essence in the crashed Manse.
- Overly Long Name: As seen above, she is unable to recite the entirety of it without passing out.
- Perky Goth: Sorta, especially what with her secret affection for Caramelldansen. Spoilered because it's funnier that way.
- The Undead: Abyssals aren't technically dead, but they're quite close to it.
- Walking Wasteland: She's prone to the occasional Resonance blowout as noted before, causing birds to die and the like.
Ten Winds (Air Aspect Terrestrial)
Formerly a monk in the Immaculate Order, who left because he grew disillusioned with the Order... and because he enjoyed the pleasures of the world a bit too much. At least, that's what he originally said. While it's true to an extent, he was originally an aide to the Bronze Faction as well and a member of the Realm's Secret Police, the All-Seeing Eye. He left because he was tired of his life being a spy novel, not because he wanted to drink (which he probably did a lot of, being essentially James Bond). Taciturn, wry, resolute.
- The Ace: Even for an Exalt, the guy is amazing at what he does.
- The Alcoholic: Chronic drinking of fermented beverages helps him out in the conflict with Nova. Other times... not so much.
- Amazon Chaser: Contrary to popular misconception, he does not know everyone in Creation, only the "powerful and attractive women."
- The Big Guy: With several Immaculate dragon styles under his belt and centuries of experience kicking ass, he does more of the fighting than the Celestials in the circle. He's also the only one who can safely reveal his power when they enter the Blessed Isle.
- Blow You Away: Sometimes combined with Shock and Awe and An Ice Person. Terrestrial Elemental Powers are generally more literal than in the game, due to the nature of the medium.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Averted and played straight. Imbibing some apparently pretty punchy stuff, including a strong sedative, does not seem to affect him. At other times he takes a swig and falls down. Then he sneaks off for a drink every other panel sometimes...
- Defector from Decadence: Sort of. In another sense, a defector to decadence — Immaculate monks aren't allowed alcohol. Then played perfectly straight when we find out he wasn't really a monk.
- Dynamic Entry: Flying on screen with a cry of Justice!
- Expy: He's essentially what would happen if James Bond retired.
- Old Master:
- Badass enough that a Sidereal thinks twice before fighting him. Probably because he knows that particular Sidereal.
- He's trained in, and is capable of teaching, several Celestial Martial Arts styles. Most Dragon Blooded never get around to learning even one.
- He's a sorcerer on top of all that, as evidenced when he mentions offhandedly that he could teach Secret and Marena how to summon demons.
- Papa Wolf: Strip #241. Nemen Yi may have ripped through Ben's entire band without breaking stride, but now she's made the mistake of threatening Secret, and Ten Winds is pissed.
- The Quiet One: His comment on the situation is often "..."
- Weak, but Skilled: Dragon-Blooded are the weakest of the Exalted, but Ten is easily one of the toughest characters in the comic. It helps that he's an elder.
Karen (Dawn Caste Solar)
Full Name: Ragara Karen
Marena's twin sister. She Exalted to save Marena from Immaculate Monks and later traded her voice to a demon to join the Silver Pact to be with her sister.
- All Amazons Want Hercules: She's crushing on Ten Winds, one of the most powerful guys in this story.
- BFS: Wields a sword so large it has a hinge halfway up the blade so it can be carried across the back. And when Misho conjured up a Humongous Mecha he borrowed it.
- Big Sister Instinct: According to Marena, her twin, Karen always felt it was her job to protect her.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She has the same look as Marena, but acts much more calm and subdued. This turns out to be only skin-deep — her true personality fits the trope well, and becomes a plot point.
- Love Martyr: She has made a number of pretty significant sacrifices on her sister's behalf.
- MayDecember Romance: While she's not exactly loudly proclaiming her preferences, she's mentioned to have always liked older men.
- Sarashi: Under her vest. Fitting, since Dawn Caste are pretty close to being samurai.
A shape-changing soulsteel weapon that travels with Secret but is only barely under her control.
- And I Must Scream: Cluivnarihe herself seems to have been a Lunar Exalted, but the sword is also made with soulsteel forged from thousands of mortal ghosts, involving the usual eternal torment.
- Empathic Weapon: Mostly, she's a jerk. A jerk with a literal heart and soul of steel and her own backstory. Then again, the love of her life and unlife did leave her behind with a barely-competent Abyssal.
- The Farmer and the Viper: In life, it was her nature to turn and bite everyone, friend or foe. Kind of made it hard to make friends, until she met a Solar who enjoyed the challenge of defending himself from her. In death, she hasn't changed. Secret has to feed her blood to keep her "tame".
- Jerkass: To Secret, at least, she's snarking and bitchy.
- Morph Weapon: Usually she's a sword or bow, but she can theoretically be other things. Secret stores her as a belt.
Racer (Full Moon Caste Lunar, horse totem)
Marena's old teacher and, it seems, occasional lover.
Resonance Ben (Midnight Caste Abyssal)
- Cool Shades: Somehow, the Second Age has sunglasses.
- Disability Superpower: He somehow turned Resonance into a weapon, which is not something possible by normal Exalted rules.
- Eye Scream: There's a reason he wears those glasses — his master tore out his eyes for a past failure.
- Handicapped Badass: He thinks he is at least.
- Leeroy Jenkins: He's kind of an idiot.
- Musical Assassin: With a band.
Flame (Daybreak Caste Abyssal)
Full Name: The Forgotten Flame of Endless Unmarked Years.
In the author's words: "[a] south-american-style mummy dishing out kung fu action." With soulsteel chainsaw-Khatars.
- And Your Little Dog, Too!: Flame knows how to really get to Misho. (The Lion does his research.)
- Chainsaw Good: Wields two artifact chainsaws forged from the tortured souls of dead people.
- Evil Genius: Flame is the brains of the "band."
- Noble Demon: He spares Misho after getting him helpless, even after vowing to destroy him and torture his ghost for eternity.
- Red Right Hand: The First and Forsaken Lion does not like it when his minions fuck up — Flame lost a hand for his failures, and had to replace it with a soulsteel prosthetic.
Five Waves' Fury (Full Moon Caste Lunar)
The "Admiral". Seems to have a thing for Flame.
- Fearless Fool: Fury has Valour 5. Can you tell?
- Perky Female Minion: Too jolly and exuberant to be a servant of the First and Forsaken Lion.
Third Man Born In Readiness
In charge of "Equipment". Bros with Face.
Contagion of Sights
In charge of "Transport". Made an unknown delivery.
Face of the Final Reach
In Charge of "Guerilla" [sic]. Bros with Third.
Nova (Orichalcum Caste Alchemical)
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Ten manages to distract her in combat with trivia.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Frequently has a manic grin on her face, especially in Colossus-sphinx form.
- Figure It Out Yourself: She knows Misho and Ten from before they met in the story. Why she knows Ten is eventually explained. Why she knows Misho is not, despite him directly asking her.
- For Science!: Her motivation and battle cry.
- For the Lulz: The other half of her motives; she hates being bored, and she's overwhelmingly curious.
- Genki Girl
- Hammerspace: Majorly abuses "Elsewhere technology" to give herself and an Alchemical minion robot transformation.
- Large Ham: She enjoys theatrics.
- Mad Scientist: By both Autochthonian and Creation-born standards, her experiments are kind of nuts and she has the personality to match.
- Ms. Exposition: She loves having an audience for her rambles.
- One-Winged Angel: Despite her humanoid appearance, she's a high-Essence Colossus and a transformer.
- Throw It In!: After her creation in the comic, Nova got a cameo in the 2nd Edition Alchemicals book for Exalted, making her a canon character (specifically, her name was used as an example Alchemical).
- Villainous Crush: She REALLY likes Misho. He's just too cute <3 <3
Blossom of Harmonious Ethers (Casteless Alchemical)
One of Nova's two Alchemical henchmen. She prefers non-violent solutions to problems. Probably a Jade Caste Alchemical, but it's not explicitly said.
- Actual Pacifist: She won't fight, though she is willing to let someone else fight (under protest) if she can't talk sense into potential enemies.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Her and the Gunslinger Alchemical.
- Force and Finesse: Her persuasion being the finesse part of the equation, and the gunslinger taking over if that doesn't work.
- Made in Country X: Nova's attempts to make Alchemicals in Creation aren't quite up to snuff, as shown when her arm falls off.
- Robot Maid: She's the one who has to clean up any mess after a fight.
- Slipping a Mickey: Tries it on Ten Winds. He complements her on her taste in sedatives.
- Smells Sexy: Subverted. She uses pheromones to subdue opponents, but they're calming pheromones, not sexy ones. Marena counters her with more traditional pheromones.
Unnamed Gunslinger Alchemical (Casteless Alchemical)
The other of Nova's two Alchemical Henchmen. A once-skilled human, he gave his service to Nova in exchange for exaltation, and handles things if combat is required. Probably a Jade Caste Alchemical, but it's not explicitly said.
- Arm Cannon: A gun in each forearm.
- Badass Cape: He wears a gunslinger's cape, and throws it off before he transforms.
- Breath Weapon: In Clawstrider form, he breaths fire.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Him and Blossom. He doesn't talk much, and she's a pacifist.
- Force and Finesse: If Blossom's persuasion fails, it's his gun's turn.
- Made in Country X: Just like Blossom, he has the odd problem. Oops, there goes my head again.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Or in this case, gunslinger dinosaur robot. With a hat.
- Nice Hat: Not only does he wear a cool hat, when he transformed into his clawstrider mode, he still wears it.
- Transforming Mecha: Turns from a humanoid robot into a Clawstrider, a raptor-like dinosaur native to creation that runs at fast speeds. Only with guns. And fire breath.
Nemen Yi (Sidereal Chosen of Battles)
- Appeal to Force: What does she do when called on an error of judgment? Why, settle her confusion by force of arms, of course!
- The Chessmaster: She is a powerful Sidereal.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two Keys at once, after taking the Orichalcum Key from Misho.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual
- Improbable Weapon User:
- Like Misho, she has a magic key instead of a normal sword. Starmetal's exceedingly rare, so her Key seems to be made of starmetal wires.
- Even less probable is her use of broken-off bits of the comic's panel dividers as throwing darts.
- Just as Planned: Exact quote after the seeming debacle of her first active move.
- Medium Awareness: Instead of being played for laughs, she uses it to her Genre Savvy advantage.
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: As a Sidereal Exalted, she's expected to be The Chessmaster at all times, operating subtly in the background, stacking the deck in her favor and not acting unless the game is completely rigged in her favor. In her first appearance, however, it becomes clear that while she can play that game if she has to, she really doesn't have the patience to use a scalpel when a hammer will do.
- No Fourth Wall: Or rather, using the Fourth Wall as an Improvised Weapon and playground.
- Properly Paranoid: She won't pass on her duty to guard her Key because anyone powerful enough to guard it would have their own agenda for using it.
Full Name: Sonorous Aria.
Marena and Karen's mother; Queen of Janara; daughter of Kuka-Rem, a god of machination and manipulation. A pleasant and gracious demeanor hides a mind as sharp and strong as a steel blade.
- Abusive Parents: Marena claims Aria was like this... and when we find out about Aria's concept of "parenting," it's hard not to agree with her.
- Anti-Climactic Parent: Marena describes her mother as a borderline Evil Matriarch, but when we first see her she seems to be a caring and generous woman. Consider, though, that one of the primary traits ascribed to her is a penchant for manipulation, so this discrepancy is hardly unexpected...
- Knight Templar Parent: In the World of Badass that is Exalted, a person is either an Exalt, a Badass Normal, or a nameless victim. Aria equipped her daughter with the skills necessary to become a guile heroine, but at the cost of becoming an Abusive Parent.
- Long-Lived: Part of her divine heritage included superhuman longevity.
- Manipulative Bitch: As Marena herself mentioned, Aria manipulated... a god of manipulation.
- Really Gets AroundMarena: You're not my mother, Aria!
Aria: No... I was in a position to be certain, petal. Now if you were unsure of your fa-
- Silk Hiding Steel: She couldn't have gotten where she is now from where she started without being incredibly skilled and tough.
- Silver Vixen: Astonishingly good-looking considering that she's one of the oldest people (or at least, closest to their proper age-related expiry date) in the comic (122 Alternative Calendar years old. Which makes her roughly 147 and a half years old by our calendar).
- Third-Person Person: Refers to herself as "this one" when she's being formal.
- Wham LineAria: Your son is alive. Sidereals.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Another manifestation of divine ancestry.
The King of Uncloaked Steel (Dusk Caste Abyssal)
A Deathknight with an enormous appetite for combat and a violent disdain for people who have more power than puissance. Ex-servant of the Lion.
- Blood Knight: He left Secret and Cluivnarihe because fighting with them as his side had become too easy.
Lady In The Untold Depth
One of the two Exalts the Silver Prince sent to fetch Secret.
The Mastah (Unknown Aspect Terrestrial)
A one-shot character that was rejected from the group, only to be given his own Spin-Off by another author.
God of Locks
A deity that was slain by a group of Exalted shortly after the Primordial War. His power was reforged into five not-Keyblades so that locks could continue to work in Creation.
Full Name: Manse of the Ever Watchful Custodian Artificial Intelligence.
A construct left to watch the manse the group travels to in the beginning of the comic.
- Fun with Acronyms: And unlike a lot of examples, it isn't readily obvious.
Fair Folk brothers
A pair of Fair Folk that command an army of goblins. They were attacking a small village near the Wyld until the group forced them to stop.
- Medium Awareness: They're fully aware that they're in a fictional story — they attacked the part specifically because if they hadn't, they wouldn't have played any role in the narrative and wouldn't exist.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Fair Folk in this comic are not drawn with black lines. There's nothing separating their colors. This looks weirder than it sounds.
- Pointed Ears: And it's even lampshaded when Marena starts pulling on them. "Who thought these were a good idea?"
Unknown Sidereal (Sidereal Chosen of Journeys)
A beleaguered Sidereal that was first shown bringing Ten Winds a horse in comic 108. Has appeared several times since, talking to Ten, his Sifu, and Nemen Yi.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: A basic Sidereal ability.
Resch Dan (Full Moon Caste Lunar, now presumably a chimera)
Misho's Lunar mate, holder of the Moonsilver key. Survived the Usurpation, but not without cost. His status is kept hidden from Misho by Marena.