Read the manga first so as not to be spoiled by some characters here. Need some help as well.
- Abusive Granddad: Has one.
- Accidental Kiss: to Ayane.
- Accidental Pervert: And HOW.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: He has gradually become accustomed to talking with the anthropomorphic animals on the island, yet still refuses to believe in anything of paranormal or mythological origin even if it is right in front of him.
- He doesn't have any problems believing in aliens and Robot Girls either.
- He winds up on the other end of the spectrum, when he tries to convince the islanders on the existence of the aforementioned aliens.
- He did have trouble believing in the anthropomorphic aspect of Airantou's animals, but that quickly died away when Shima-tora made a...convincing argument.
- A recent chapter had him get sick and get a fever which made him start to believe in magic. Then when he was still recovering he started to mix science fact with magic, and then he freaked out when he realized what he was saying.
- Justified since his family placed him under a spell that made him skeptical of anything paranormal to ensure that he wouldn't figure out that his sister had supernatural powers. As of chapter 126, this spell's effects are gone and with it his skepticism.
- Attack Its Weak Point: How he defeated the Northern Leader.
- Bag of Holding:
- Ikuto: Well... I'd say there is a knack to it... Don't ask about it.
- Balloon Belly: When Suzu gave him CPR.
- Berserk Button: Saying "It's impossible." to his face.
- Big Brother Mentor: to Shinobu.
- Big Damn Heroes: On one memorable occasion, he saved Ayane and Michiru from an enraged Taiga, the Northern leader, by throwing his sword to hit Taiga's weak point.
- He also brought lunch.
- Blessed with Suck/Cursed with Awesome: For having an Unwanted Harem.
- Butt-Monkey: At times.
- Celibate Hero
- Chick Magnet: Being the only human male in the island helps.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: If there are other men around, he is considered as this.
- Contrived Coincidence/Identical Stranger: He resembles Takatora, Suzu's father.
- Imagine Spot: Has a few.
- Innocent Cohabitation: With Suzu.
- Groin Attack: He gets because he doesn't believe Tohno is a kappa.
- Lap Pillow: He is the pillow for Machi while she is sick and vice versa.
- And for Suzu because she asked him which causes a three way brawl for his lap...
- Made of Iron: In the beginning he would actually have to rest a day after being beaten to a pulp.
- Now he can fight all 4 guardians, fall in a river, get eaten by a fish, and still be perfectly fine the next day. He has come a VERY long way.
- He may have always been this. He drifted at sea for 7 days without any food or water with no visible discomfort. He may have just been recovering from that still in the get go which explains how weak he was in the beginning.
- Mentor Ship: See Big Brother Mentor above.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: to his family.
- Oblivious to Love: This is the most memorable example among many others.
- Panty Shot: A lone guy on an Island full of girls who wear skirts, he's bound to get a view.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: He says this to Suzu mostly because he lives with her, but he says it to just about every girl in his Unwanted Harem at one point or another.
- Red Herring: in the second Beniyasha Story Arc.
- The Runaway: Type 2 beacause of his dad.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: His swordsmanship is outstanding, but he sucks at ball games.
- Stone Wall: His fighting strategy.
- Thanks for the Mammary
- Took a Level in Badass: The reason he became a hero.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Curry.
- Training from Hell: He had this in the past from his grandfather.
- Weak, but Skilled: He is one of the physically weakest people on the island, at least at first more arguable now, but that does not stop him from defeating his opponents.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better
- Why Did It Have To Be Heights?
Tropes associated with the main haremettes as a whole:
- Action Girl
- Badass Adorable
- Cry Cute
- Cute Bruiser
- Generation Xerox
- Please Put Some Clothes On: At some point.
- The Ace: She's great at everything except studying.
- Balloon Belly: Suzu in episode 2.
- Berserk Button: Getting between her and mame daifuku, her favorite food.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She can scare anyone.
- Catgirl: Especially when she goes into Yandere mode.
- Also turns into a cat during the Baleful Polymorph episode.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- She is getting more and more clingy in the later chapters.
- CPR: Clean, Pretty, Reliable: When she tried to use it to save Ikuto, Hilarity Ensues.
- Cute Little Fang: Rarely shown though.
- Death Glare: She unknowingly shows it when people start to hit on Ikuto.
- Maybe she got it from her mom.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: 4 of 5 of the songs were played by her seiyuu.
- Does Not Like Spicy Foods
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: with Ayane.
- Genius Ditz: For some reason, she can easily wipe the floor with everyone on the island - all at once.
- Idiots Cannot Catch Colds
- Innocent Cohabitation: with Ikuto.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl
- My Beloved Smother: She acts like one to Tonkatsu.
- One-Man Army
- Potty Failure: Until just a year or so.
- Stepford Smiler: She was Type A.
- A few years before Ikuto arrived, her father (with the rest of the men) disappeared. Then she was left under Karaage's care because her mother disappeared.
- Yandere: Not the stab-with-a-knife kind.
- A-Cup Angst
- Accidental Kiss: With Ikuto.
- Always Someone Better: Suzu and Machi is this for her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Became one after she really falls in love with Ikuto rather than in lust with him.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: She just blurts her plans out loud and hopes no one hears them. Being the Butt-Monkey they usually do.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Her plans never work out the way she hoped.
- Unless it comes to pranking. Not even Genjuumaru, a tanuki prankster spirit, can outdo her.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: with Suzu.
- Identical Stranger: According to Ikuto and Misaki, she looks like their cousin who is also named Ayane.
- Made of Iron: Proved by this:(Ayane falls face-first from a cliff.)Suzu: Jya. Let's go Ikuto.Ikuto: Is it alright not to do anything!!Suzu: It's alright, it's alright. If it's only that much, Ayane is totally fine.Ikuto (Sweat Dropping): Only that much...?
- Sibling Rivalry: with Machi.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: with Machi.
- Alien Lunch: The food she makes looks weird but tastes good.
- Aside Glance: She loves doing this.
- Berserk Button: Insulting her about her age once, shame on her; insulting her about her age consecutively, prepare for the worst.
- Big Eater
- Brilliant, but Lazy: A highly-gifted miko, but...yeah.
- Christmas Cake: Values Dissonance has Airantou's inhabitants get married at around 14-16 years of age. Therefore, she's quite minded about it. Just don't say she's one.
- The Collector of the Strange: She collects brooms.
- Create Your Own Villain: She released Genjumaro.
- Does Not Like Spicy Foods
- Evil Laugh: Shows us how to do it right.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Harem Seeker: Inverted. If her dream is to be believed, she wants one for Ikuto. As long as she is his legal wife and others are just concubines, and she gets to have his baby first, its OK for him to have other girls.
- Identical Grandchild: Is this with her grandmother.
- Identical Stranger: According to both Ikuto and Misaki, she looks like their cousin who is also named Machi.
- It Amused Me: Her reason for doing everything she's doing.
- She even lampshades it herself at one point.
- Lap Pillow: She is the pillow for Ikuto while he is sick and vice versa.
- Lethal Chef: Double subverted.
- Older Than They Look: She is 18 years old.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: She's the most powerful and most skilled fighter in Ikuto's Unwanted Harem.
- Shipper on Deck: for Ikuto/Ayane.
- She really does love both of them. Awww...Even if it's in a comically twisted way.
- Sibling Rivalry: with Ayane.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: with Ayane.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: One of her favorite hobbies.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: In terms of physical strength, she's the strongest human in the island.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Unfortunately her occupation of being a carpenter makes it dangerous to everyone.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Mikoto being the prime example.
- Expy: Rin looks an awful lot like Nagase Kaede...so it should be no surprise who voices her in the anime.
- Supreme Chef
- Through His Stomach: While the other girls do this too, she's the first to think of it.
- Badass Bookworm
- Big Fancy House: Has one.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Ikuto just doesn't seem to notice her True Colors.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl
- Devil in Plain Sight: Inverted, see Bitch in Sheep's Clothing above.
- For Science!: The things she'll do for this...
- Mad Scientist: Ironically, she became Cute Witch once.
- Meganekko: Subverted, her expected personality quickly gives way to Mad Scientist.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: It's her fault that Suzu hates studying.
- Ninja: She has some training as one due to her mother being one.
- Red Herring: In the first Beniyasha Story Arc.
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- Secret Keeper: On Beniyasha's identity.
- Badly Battered Babysitter: To Taka-Taka's
- Cute Little Fang: Has two.
- Fluffy Tamer: Usually rides along on the back of an animal she befriended - most often Kuma-Kuma.
- Idiot Hair: Even lampshaded.
- Interspecies Friendship
- Overnight Age-Up: In chapters 81 - 82.
- Apologetic Attacker
- Apologizes a Lot
- Chinese Girl
- Covert Pervert: Played straight.Mei Mei: No one under 18 allowed to see!
- Interspecies Friendship: With Tohno.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: She has a lot of siblings.
- Master of Disguise: She can hide inside fake trees or rocks with a hole for the head. She also has some animal disgusies, although they are based on the more realistic looking animals from the outside world.
- Nightmare Fetishist: She loves her dolls and stuff animals. They just are so real they scare others.
- Shrinking Violet
- Ex-Ninja: Though she still has the skills.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Even more innocent than Suzu.
- Mentor Ship: With her Shishou!
- NO Sense Of Direction
- Verbal Tic: Adding "-degozaru" after every sentence.
- An Ice Person
- Battle Aura: When she fought Tohno.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She's lazier than Machi.
- Cosmic Plaything: The author likes to even directly poke fun at Michiru.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Her mother is a Yuki-onna.
- Identical Stranger: According to Ikuto, Michiru is an In-Universe Expy of his little sister, Misaki.
- Last Episode, New Character
- Magitek: The islanders use her power to create ice for their Ice Boxes.
- Remember the New Guy?: Lampshaded repeatedly.
- Stay in the Kitchen: She wishes for this.
- An Ice Person
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Not So Different: Unlike Ikuto, whose nosebleed is triggered by girls'... fanserviceness, her's is triggered by cute animals.
- Not Blood Siblings: with Ikuto.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Tsundere: Mixed traits of A and B.
Real name: Koto. She is the oldest human on the island.
- Long-Lived: Is over 130 years old.
- Walking Spoiler: She's actually a nine-tail fox demon, and recently became young again.