Black Project Evangelion
The VAX-303 Evangelions Squadron
- Age Lift: Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Kaworu, and Mari are 18 or older as opposed to 14. This also affects their characterization too, and is how the story differentiates from its source material. They drink, drive, have sex lives (or develop one), and are generally more experienced and independent than their teen counterparts.
- Badass Creed: Their motto -chosen by the pilots- is:Forget the taxpayer,
We got Hell to pay.
- Badass Crew: They are a whole team of elite Ace Pilots.
- Color-Coded Characters: Each Child has their own color, except Jessika (who never had her own Eva and was meant to be Asuka's replacement):
- Shinji: White
- Asuka: Red
- Rei: Blue
- Kaworu: Black
- Mari: Pink
- Hurting Hero: All of them have suffered for one or other reason.
- Mildly Military: Played with. On the one hand the pilots are allowed grow long hair, their commanding officer insists on them calling her Misato at all times, and some of them are dating despite of being members of the same unit. On the other hand their commanders expect obedience and demand discipline from them, Misato chews them out when they step out of line, and some officers think that allowing relationships between members of the same squad is a bad idea.
- Justified in that Gendo is the one running the show, and he doesn't particularly care what his subordinates do off or on duty as long as they bring results. Plus, it's also implied the Program is run outside the usual chain of command.
- Acknowledged in ch 19 when the pilots get transferred to the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan and are told that they have to follow regulations while aboard. That means hair has to be tied up, and illicit relations are NOT permitted. note
Third Child and pilot of Unit 01.
Born in Japan, he has lived in America most of his life. Following his mother's death his father fled to the Unites States with him. Shortly after Gendo sent him away in order to protect him -presumably from Seele-. He lived for a short time with Dr. Akagi and when he was old enough he was sent away for school. In some point he became a soldier and before the beginning of the story he served in the Black Aces.
- Ace Pilot: One of the best pilots in the base, he is a bushwhacker skilled at dropping out of his adversary's vision field and catch it off-guard with sudden, swift movements and crazy maneuvers and faints.
- Amazon Chaser: Shinji Ikari fell for Asuka not only because she is gorgeous but also for her strength of body and mind and her great piloting skills.
- Battle Couple: With Asuka starting with chapter 4.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Asuka. They loved each other but they argued constantly before getting together.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Like the anime, Shinji falls into this trope. He's the nicest guy on the base, and arguably the most dangerous because he's the type of person that will resort to risky, and often dangerous, tactics when under pressure. Case in point: that air-brake stunt he pulled during his duel with Asuka won the match for him, but also damn near got all 4 pilots killed.
- Calling Your Attacks: Shinji screams commands when he is in his Eva ("THRUST VECTORING ON!", BRAKES OUT!, "AIR BRAKES OUT!"). It is ironical because the author tried to avert the Super Robot Genre tropes of the original material... and still he has added a Super Robot Genre trope that Evangelion averted.
- Chef of Iron: Good soldier and excellent cook.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humor, which really shows whenever he's trading barbs with Asuka. For example:Asuka: From now on, I'll be keeping my eye on you, little boy!
Shinji: (Why can't a normal, well-adjusted girl ever say that to me?)
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Asuka was a sullen, dour person who was not good with people, had few friends and never had a boyfriend, but he managed to win her heart.
- Determinator: He never gave up on his and Asuka's relationship, not even when it got real ugly for a while.
- Determined Defeatist: When Asuka ran away, Shinji thought he'd never find her; or he'd find her but she wouldn't listen. Nonetheless, he looked for her, he found her, and he talked her into getting back together.
- Devoted to You: In Shinji's words, Asuka is the only woman he'll probably ever love. When he proposed her and Asuka asked if he could promise to be true to her for as long as he lives, he said yes.
- Didn't See That Coming: Shinji has a knack for surprising people as shown in his flying style, snarky quips, and the occasional crazy stunt. However this is not due to some sort of tactical or social smarts, and he'll tell you such. No, the real secret to his success is he's so submissive that that he assumes his opponents have the edge on him in every area; so he takes the route they least expect him to take.
- Extreme Doormat: Prior to meeting Asuka, he had a very apathetic outlook on life. The only thing he seemed to show any sort of enthusiasm for was flying.
- Grew a Spine: Due to being older, Shinji is less wimpy in this fic that his canon counterpart, but he is still somewhat of a wuss with no motivation or drive to live on. During pillow talk Asuka told him that he could not keep that attitude when people like herself depended on him to live. And in fact, in the second story arc Asuka went through a downward spiral and Shinji needed growing a spine to help her and save her from herself.
- The Hero
- Hero's Classic Car: Shinji drives a '63 Corvette convertible. One of his old squad mates gave it to him.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Shinji is very, very in love with Asuka. She is the only woman that has been with and -according him- the only one that he has ever loved and the one that he will probably love ever.
- House Husband: When Asuka in moves with him, it quickly becomes obvious who is the better homemaker. Shinji is an excellent cook and he is used to take care of himself and keep his house clean and tidy. Asuka didn't even know how cook before moving and she barely did some chores.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Shinji has very clear, bright blue eyes and he's also a shy, good-natured, well-meaning young man.
- Living Emotional Crutch: For Asuka. She quickly became very dependent on him. No matter how badly she abused him during Part 2, the whole time she was wishing and waiting for him to rescue her from herself.
- Love Interest: To Asuka.
- Missing Mom: During a conversation, he reveals to Asuka that her mother died when he was a little kid and he barely remember her.
- Mistaken for Gay: By Touji when he didn't go a brothel. He was not amused.
- Nice Guy: Shinji is polite, calm, very understanding and forgiving. The only person he has any real misgiving is his father and he has a pretty good reason for that.
- No Social Skills: He's used to being by himself and is not good at interacting with others (during their first meeting he accidentally pushed several of Asuka's Buttons with a single, off-hand sentence).
- Official Couple: With Asuka. They start going out at the end of chapter 5 and got engaged at the end of chapter 13.
- Orphan's Ordeal: In chapter 4 Shinji talked Asuka about his childhood. He revealed that he lost his mother when he was a baby, and his father sent him away afterwards. He changed schools constantly, barely made friends and developed little social skills. Although he is older than his canon self and is clearly better at dealing with it, it is clear losing his mother still haunts him.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: With Asuka. He is the puppy in the relationship.
- The Power of Love: In chapter 13 Shinji finished his speech about how he had seen all sides of Asuka including the worst and darkest ones- and there was nothing that she could show him that would make him love her any less:Shinji: You call it imprinting Thats all love is, isnt it? A form of imprinting! The kind of imprinting that can survive anything!
- Talking Down the Suicidal: In chapter 12 Shinji found Asuka when they were about to commit suicide. Firstly he tried to talk them out of it with the usual lines ("Please, don't do this"), but when he realized that they were prepared to resist his pleas, he decided to deceive her into allowing him to get close enough to pry her gun away from her. It worked.
- Tell Me About My Father: In chapter 4 Shinji mentions to Asuka that he has asked his father about his mother, but Gendo does not talk about her.
- Unbroken Vigil: After Asuka fell into a coma he kept watch over her relentlessly. He spent the whole of his free time beside her bed, to the point that they needed to physically drag him out of the room.
- Undying Loyalty: When Asuka asked if he could promise to be true to her for the rest of his life, he replied he did.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: His relationship with his father is the same as in the anime: non-existent. Though unlike his teen counterpart, who feared Gendo but also wanted his love, this Shinji's attitude is best summed up as "I don't know my father. I don't know if I will ever understand him. And I'm not sure if I even want to anymore."
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: Before getting together, Asuka often snarked at him and he snarked back.
Second Child and pilot of Unit 02.
She is an intelligent, skilful, spirited, emotional, hot-tempered, prideful woman who is always looking for rivals to test her skill and boasts about being the best that there ever is. However her pride is in reality a mask to hide deep-seated insecurities and self-esteem issues. When the story begins, her performance has been slipping together with her self-confidence.
Shortly after Shinji's arrival to the Base she began a complicated relationship with him.
- Ace Pilot: The best in the squad. She is a very aggressive steamroller: she hits strong and hard.
- Action Girl: Female soldier and real good one!
- Adaptational Curves: Due to being twenty-one, stopping exercise due to a plane crash rendered her comatose for several months, and a change in diet, Asuka is more stacked than she was in the original show.
- Aggressive Submissive: Although she is hot-tempered and domineering, she wants Shinji taking the lead when they make love and she's shown interest in bondage.
- Attention Whore: Asuka needed to be the best because she liked to be valued, and she went to greath lengths to crush any rival threatened her top place. However, while she was going through a rough patch, she wished for finding a place where nobody knew about her. When she recovered from her breakdown she again enjoyed being the center of attention, but she did not need it so badly.
- Badass Bookworm: She is an USAF commander and elite pilot. Her profession demands not only being a great fighter but also studying a lot, as seen here.
- Battle Couple: With Shinji.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Shinji for several chapters before getting together.
- Beneath the Mask: When Shinji met Asuka she came across as an arrogant, short-tempered woman. When they started living together, though, he realized that she was hiding a softer, more vulnerable side. Later on, Asuka said that Shinji was the only one who had seen her real self beneath the mask.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT mock her and her competence, do NOT flirt with Shinji and do NOT hurt someone she cares about. You have been warned.
- Big Ego, Hidden Depths: Although she seems obnoxiously arrogant and prideful, Asuka is a very insecure person with trust issues (and it's implied that she attempted to kill herself before the beginning of the story). In a scene Misato tells that Asuka can look strong, but she's very fragile.
- Blood Knight: Hopping into her war plane and shooting enemies down is a delight to her.
- Bring My Red Jacket: She wears a red pilot suit. She is also the only main character who has been seen hurt, wounded and bleeding in the first arcs.
- Broken Ace: After the Unit-04 crash she spent several months in a coma. When she woke up she considered herself responsible of the failure of the test and of Jessikas death. She spent several weeks in a permanent state of rage, hating herself, hating everybody, lashing out for anything and being on the brink of committing suicide several times. She even ran away at one point because she could not stand being reminded of her failures, mistakes and wrongdoings or being reminded of her abusive behavior every time that she saw Shinji.
- Broken Bird: Prior to the beginning of the story she had been traumatized (it is implied that she tried to commit suicide at one point), and her performance -which her self-image depended hugely on- was slipping due to her past personal issues making her falling apart. She recovered... and then the experimental jet fighter that she was testing crashed, and her best friend died in the accident. She spent several months in a coma, and when she woke up she was a neurotic, short-tempered mess who blamed herself for the failure of the mission and her friend's death and hated herself for being a failure and hurting Shinji due to her out-of-control temper.
- Cat Smile: When she is feeling real naughty (usually with Shinji). Some examples hereand here.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She was very possessive towards Shinji even before getting together (she warned him that if he went to a brothel while he was away, she would kill him). Needless to say, their engagement has not changed that, and she does not want to see Mari near from Shinji.
- Colonel Kilgore: She is a commanding officer and genuinely likes fighting and showing off her superiority.
- Deadpan Snarker: She may be quite acerbic and sardonic, especially when something -or someone- is bothering her.
- Death Seeker: After Jessika's death she was so depressed and guilt-ridden that for a while she wanted to die and meeting Jessika again.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Unit-04s crash and Jessikas death Asuka was wrecked with survivor guilt. Then, during the NF-14 test she learned that they could not yet find Jessika. She did not get the acceptance that she longed for, and she nearly died. Her mood got worse and she attempted to commit suicide. When that didn't work either, she ran away. Shinji manages to bring her back from the brink by proposing to her.
- Determinator: She is very, very stubborn, hates quitting and cannot stand losing.
- Driven to Suicide: She decided to kill herself in chapter 12, but she could not actually go through with it. It is also suggested in that chapter that it is not the first time that she tried to commit suicide.
- Ethical Slut: After hooking up with Shinji Asuka becomes more uninhibited and she even reveals to him she is on bondage and she is a sub. At the same time, before meeting Shinji she was a virgin, and he is both the first man she has been with and the only one she will be with.
- Fiery Redhead: She is a very hot-tempered red-head.
- First Girl Wins: First female character that shows up in the comic and first girl that Shinji meets when he arrives to Distler.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wore her hair in pigtails for a long time. After recovering from her breakdown she stopped wearing them to show her personal growing-up.
- Guilt Complex: During her break-down she started to blame herself for absolutely everything.
- Hair Decorations: Her iconic A-10 nerve red clips.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Deconstructed. Her inability to have her temper under control often gets her in trouble with other people, including her C. O.
- After Jessica's death, Asuka's temper got way, way worse. Anything could make her snap and lash out. Fortunately she got better.
- Hes Back: After being put through the wringer in Part 2, Asuka ran away in chapter 13. She returned in chapter 15 thanks to Shinji's intervention, and according Misato she was totaly rebuilt, free from her latest traumas and looking better than ever.
- Hot-Blooded: She exudes hot-blood.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns: Her very long sideburns became visible after stopping wearing pigtails.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: When the story starts Asuka is the best pilot of all Children and she openly declares that she is the best there is. Several events later her self-confidence and self-esteem were shattered, she (mis)blamed herself for the failure of several missions and her friend's death and she saw herself as a pathetic failure.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: By the chapter 12 Asuka regards herself as a a worthless failure and a nutcase. So that when Shinji proposes marriage to her, she says:Asuka: I can't see why you would want to throw away your LIFE on someone like me...
- Icy Blue Eyes: She has ice-blue, piercing eyes. When she gets pissed off their icy stare is very scary.
- Ineffectual Loner: Asuka had never been good at getting used to new people or working with other people. However, when she tried to work alone she often fumbled and screwed missions. When she tried to collaborate with her teammates she unleashed her potential.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Initially she comes across as a very arrogant Ace Pilot than even refused calling someone her "peer". But in reality her self-confidence is very fragile, and when everything begins to fall apart she is prone to collapse and seeing herself like a failure.
- Living Emotional Crutch: For Shinji. He openly tells that he cannot cut her off anymore than he can cut his own leg off.
- Love at First Punch: Asuka prided herself on being the best pilot on the base and having never anyone good enough to call her peer. Then Shinji arrived, beat ther, and she got instantly and subcosnciously drawn to him. She started to look for excuses to talk with him, spend time together, sleep in his home... until she eventually admitted to herself that she had fallen in love with him and seduced him.
- Love Interest: To Shinji and Jessika.
- Lovely Angels: Hikari and she co-pilot Unit-02.
- Missing Mom: It's implied that her mother is dead, given her reaction to Shinji's story about his mother and her own backstory in the original series.
- Mood-Swinger: Due to her deep traumas and insecurities her mood could change very, very quickly and suddenly. She could go from cheerfulness to aggressiveness, restrained calm to unbridled anger, fury to depression or despair to happiness. It could become pretty disconcerting when people met her for first time.
- Her mood-swings got worse after waking up from a coma but she got better after overcoming her break-down.
- Ms. Fanservice: Main provider of Male Gaze scenes in this manga. She shows up naked frequently and the author has drawn dozens of Asuka pictures showing her naked or scantily clad.
- My Greatest Failure: The Unit-04's crashing. Even though it was not her fault, she considers herself responsible for the failure of the mission and her best friend's death.
- Never Gets Drunk: Asuka is a type 3a. It takes A LOT to get her drunk. She can drink for hours before getting tipsy, and most times a flushed face will be all the effect that drink will have on her. During two important conversations with Shinji she stressed that she was not drunk -even if she had taken some beers- and he ought to take her words seriously. After a party Shinji reminded her that she had knocked back a lot of beers although she was not twenty-one yet, and she answered that she did not care for prudish American laws (which suggests the "She is German. Half of her blood must be beer" explanation).
- Never My Fault: Suffered a short-lived case of it in chapter 3. She got over it, though.
- No Social Skills: She readily admits that she is not good at socializing with others.
- Not So Different: She thinks this of her and Shinji.
- Oblivious to Love: Asuka never noticed her best friend Jessika had a huge crush on her.
- Odd Friendship: She and Hikari are very different personality-wise, but they are good friends.
- Official Couple: With Shinji. They start going out at the end of chapter 5 and get engaged at the end of chapter 13.
- Only Sane Man: She sometimes feels like this due to be Surrounded by Idiots and weirdos.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: In chapter 6 Asuka praised Rei. Rei was so startled than she blushed.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: With Shinji. She is the pitbull in the relationship.
- The Power of Hate: Deconstructed. After waking up from a coma Asuka found out that Unit 04 crashed down and her best friend died in the crash. She blamed herself for both accidents and in order to deal with her inner self-loathing, despair and pain she resorted to hate everyone and herself because it made her feeling powerful again. Then her inner self told her that it was pathetic, her hatred was solving NOTHING and she was weak and coward for relying on it.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: In chapter 17, when Asuka finds out that her best friend's fiancé has kind of cheated on her, her blue eyes glow red for a moment to heighten she is furious... and dangerous.
- Red Is Heroic: She wears a red pilot suit and her Unit 02 is red-stripped.
- The Rival: She needs one to drive her and push her to be the best. At the beginning it was Shinji. Now that she no longer feels the need to compete with him, Mari has become her newest rival.
- Romantic False Lead: Asuka was unknowingly this to Mandy. Mandy's girlfriend Jessika fell in love with Asuka -something Asuka was completely unaware of-, and when Mandy found out -after Jessika's death- she was jealous, thinking wrongly Jessika had been unfaithful.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: In chapter 5 Asuka spent a looong time berating Shinji, complaining about that idiot not calling her, not noticing that she was worried about him and making excuses for staying in his house and sleeping in his home. Jessika asked her if idiot was German for boyfriend. Asukas answer was as angry as predictable:Asuka: WOULD YOU SHUT UP?
- Short Tank: She is agressive, fierce, hot-tempered, passionate and hardly feminine. She often wears tank-tops or shirts and short pants, is loud and blunt and argued with the male lead often until they got together.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: As much as she wanted to hate him in the beginning for being her new rival, Asuka could not help but fall for nice, considerate, patient, thoughtful Shinji that would always love her not matter what, rather a manly, confident hunk like she claimed that she wanted. During their proposal scene she even tells that she does not understand why he would want to get attached for life to a basket-case like her.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: After surviving a failed mission, Asuka suffered from Survivor Guilt. She was full of anger, hatred and self-loathing, and anything made her snapping. And she stopped laughing or getting fun. She did not even want to get fun. After a second failure she tried to shoot her brains off, but Shinji stopped her. From that point he helped her to get better.
- She's Got Legs: During a moving party in chapter 3, Shinji constantly ogles to Asuka's legs.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: The most aggressive and meaner she behaves the most hurt and more distraught that she feels.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Often she feels like this, especially when her siblings-in-arms are being silly.
- Survivor Guilt: When Unit 04 crashed down, she survived but Jessika did not. Even though it was not her fault AT ALL, she blamed herself nonetheless. For a long time she was wrecked with pain, guilt and self-hatred.. She even equaled celebrating her birthday with dancing on Jessikas grave.
- Talking to Themself: Her inner monologue and turmoil is depicted as two Asukas arguing: her inner self her rational, logical, softer side- advises, berates or mocks her outer self her emotional, rash, harsher side-.
- 10-Minute Retirement: In Part 2 Asuka was put through the wringer: her war plane crashed during a flight test, her best friend died and she blamed herself for her death and the failure of the mission, spent several months in coma, abused Shinji, crashed another war plane making nearly everyone think that she was now an useless, unreliable burn-out, attempted to commit suicide... In chapter 13 she is so sick of everything that she runs away because she thinks she is a miserable failure that has made huge messes, is good only for hurting people and is standing in the everyone's path and holding the project back, and she wants to find a place where nobody knows her and nobody cares about her. Shinji convinces her to come back by proposing to her.
- Took a Level in Badass: She goes through several phases of depression and recovery. Every time she overcomes her issues she becomes stronger and a better pilot.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: She goes through this several times: at the beginning she was very distressed and glum because her performance was slipping. Then she met Shinji, after a while -and several fights- they got together and her mood got sunnier to the point that everybody commented on it. Later she fell on very hard times and she became angrier, loathful and depressed. After getting over her issues she became again happier and bolder.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Getting together with Shinji worked wonders on Asuka's brittle temper. She calmed down -a bit- and started being nicer to people she previously declared she could not stand like Rei or Kaworu. Several characters note that she has changed and is kinder: after finding out Shinji and Asuka are iving together Misato mutters "Oh. So that is because she is nicer now". Shortly after Asuka praises Rei's performance during a volleybal match and Rei gets flustered and shocked.
- Tsundere: Asuka did not want to admit that she was falling for someone but she could not hold her feelings back, and she was falling apart due to her inner tensions until she accepted her feelings and they got together. She still needed a long time to admit to herself and him that she genuinely loved him.
- The classic "Don't get the wrong idea...." line is said during chapter 4 when she offers to help him prepare dinner. She says she just wants practice cooking food instead of buying takeout.
- Underestimating Badassery: Asuka thought that she could deal with a rookie any day of the week. It turned out that rookie Shinji- was just as good as her and won their duel.
- Unkempt Beauty: She always looks beautiful, even if she is sleeping or she looks completely haggard. However when she has a makeover she is downright striking.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Shinji before getting together.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: In chapter 15 Mari flirts with Shinji and Asuka goes ballistic, not only because the brunette woman was teasing her fiancé but also because she knew that Mari wanted to mess with Shinji's mind for her own amusement.
- When She Smiles: In chapter 4 Asuka beamed at Shinji sincerely. Up to that point Shinji had seen her angry or depressed most of time, and he was shocked and flushed.
- Worthy Opponent: Shinji. She also starts to regard Mari like one, although she is not about to show it.
First Child and pilot of Unit 00.
She used to be the most cheerful member of the squad. She was exuberantly giddy and enthusiastic but an accident rendered her eerily quiet and unemotional. Her closest friend in the Base is Kaworu Nagisa, the only one who never left her side while she was in a coma.
After her change she developed a very close -but troubled- relationship with Kaworu. She is in love with him but she is uncertain about his feelings or what kind of relationship he wants. After an argument with Saburo she fed up with that situation and demanded that Kaworu made up his mind about them.
- Ace Pilot: Not so good like other members of her squad, but she is still part of the elite.
- Adaptation Species Change: She's a human in this story.
- Berserk Button: Damaging her Eva is a BAD idea. Playing with their feelings and emotions is even worse.
- Beware the Nice Ones: It takes a lot to get her pissed off... so that when she DOES get angry, she is scary.
- Beta Couple: She and Kaworu.
- Blue Is Heroic: Her pilot suit is blue, right like her Unit 00.
- Broken Bird: She was piloting a war plane and it crashed in the middle of sea. She survived, but she suffered brain damage and she spent several months in a coma. When she woke up, she had become cold and emotionless. She recovered, but she never became her former cheerful self again.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Downplayed due to her stoic nature, but she has noted that she was jealous of Saburo for his previous relationship with Kaworu when they she and Kaworu started dating.
- Emotionless Girl: Rei suffered brain damage because of a trial flight gone wrong. She survived, but the stopped being cheerful and warm and became unemotional and quiet.
- Genki Girl: Before her accident she was very energetic, mirthful and carefree.
- The Heart: Kaworu felt that she was the one kept the team together before her accident.
- Lady of War: Unlike Asuka -that oozes passion and fierceness- and Mari -who is nuts-, Rei is calm, tranquil and graceful when she is piloting and fighting.
- Love Interest: To Kaworu.
- Love Triangle: With Kaworu and Saburo.
- My Hero Zero: She pilots Unit 00.
- The Quiet One: She is quiet and talks little.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: She is considered plainly cute. When she starts experimenting she seems stunning.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She likes Kaworu, the nicest and most caring guy in the base who is nearly incapable to hold grudges.
- Took a Level in Badass: According Kaworu, after recovering from her accident Rei became a better fighter pilot than she was before.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: She became emotionless after an accident and had a hard time reconnecting with her squad mates (and everybody else). After the Love Triangle tangling Kaworu, Saburo and herself up got resolved, she started to smile more often.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She is blue-haired.
Fourth Child and pilot of Unit 03.
He is almost unable to hold a grudge. He keeps a close friendship with Shinji and Rei. He used to date his weapons officer, but after getting dumped, he found out that he liked to not feel tied to anyone. However he found out that he likes going out with Rei.
Gradually he and Rei got closer and he fells in love with her. However, his inability to make the matter clear increases Saburo's jealousy and Rei's wariness, which in turn heightens the strife among them, to his regret.
- Ace Pilot: After Asuka and Shinji and maybe Mari- he is the best pilot.
- Adaptation Species Change: He's a human in this story.
- Beta Couple: With Rei.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When he actually gets pissed off, he is scary.
- Bi the Way: First he dated Saburo a man- and now he is starting a relationship with Rei a woman-.
- Celibate Hero: After his boyfriend broke off their relationship, Kaworu realized that he felt comfortable without feeling romantically tied to anybody and he did not need a lover right now.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: When one of his friends is going through a bad time he often goes out of his way to help.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: To Rei, who was unemotional and quiet after her accident.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: His and Shinjis relationship is not romantic at all and he never shows to be attracted to Shinji, but they are very close, are good friends and trust each other.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Kaworu is homosexual but he fell in love with Rei (a woman) because she is... Rei, and that's all he cares about. Shinji points this out when Asuka asks if that would make him bisexual.
- Love Interest: To Rei and Saburo.
- Nice Guy: Too much for his own good.
- Tranquil Fury: When he gets angry he acts eerily calm, controlled and he talks little and in a low voice.
- Unbroken Vigil: After Rei's accident, he spent all of his time next to her bed.
- Working with the Ex: He has to work alongside his ex-boyfriend.
Asuka: Depends... Could be "fester freund"... or simply "freund" if you were introducing him.
Jessika: Hmmm... I thought maybe "idiot" was the German word for it...
The Fifth Child.
At the beginning she was chosen as a possible replacement for Asuka, but both girls worked together in the B1c program. She had a huge crush on Asuka that she kept secret.
- Brainy Brunette: Brown-haired and intelligent.
- Dark Secret: She lusted after Asuka and fantasized about all obscene things that she wanted do to her.
- Deadpan Snarker: She might be quite sardonic about Asukas feelings towards Shinji, but never in a mean-spirited fashion.
- Disappeared Dad: Chapter 13 revealed that her father is dead.
- Does Not Like Men: In chapter 5, she states that she gave up on men a long time ago.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She had a crush on Asuka but she never confessed and she even shipped her and Shinji together.
- Incompatible Orientation: She is lesbian and was in love with Asuka, a straight girl.
- Love Interest: To her girlfriend Mandy.
- Lovely Angels: She and Asuka.
- Killed Off for Real: She died when Unit 04 crashed down. There are no doubts about it, since they found her head.
- Off with His Head!: It's mentioned that her head was found when going through the wreckage of Unit 04.
- Original Character
- Sailor Earth: She joined the "Evangelion Squad" like one of the Children at the end of Part I.
- Secret Diary: Jessika wrote down in her diary all her private fantasies about Asuka. Her girlfriend read it, mistakenly thought that Jessika had been unfaithful and mailed the pages to Asuka in chapter 11. Shinji, knowing that Jessika would not want anyone to read them, burnt them.Shinji: In one breath I was exposed to someones darkest, most hidden, strangest appetites.
- Your Cheating Heart: Her girlfriend Mandy thought Jessika had cheated on her with Asuka (although Asuka did not even know Jessika had a crush on her).
Sixth Child and pilot of Unit 05.
Mari is the last pilot to join to the team. She is exuberant, flirty, battle-hungry and not entirely sane. She loves to find rivals to beat and listen to Elvis Presley.
Upon meeting Asuka she starts fighting her to earn the "top pilot in the program" place, but Asuka proves to be an interesting challenge, which reinforces Mari's desire to beat her.
- Ace Pilot: Good enough to challenge Asuka and nearly winning.
- Blood Knight: She loves fighting.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Mari is nuts. She is an Elvis Presley fangirl, sings and makes "Pew, pew" noises during the battles and she will forget about an ongoing mission to try to beat a strong rival. And still she is good enough to give the base's top pilot a run for her money.
- Fangirl: According her sister-in-arms Kelly: Meet the UKs ultimate authority on Elvis Presley.
- Girlish Pigtails: She always wears them.
- Lovely Angels: She and Kelly.
- Meganekko: She wears large glasses.
- Pink Heroine: Her pilot suit is pink.
- Sixth Ranger: She joined the "Evangelion" squad at the end of Part 2, and during her debut onscreen fight Mari matched skills with Asuka, the top pilot of the squad.
- Worthy Rival: She sees Asuka like this.
Radar Intercept and weapon officers
Asuka's weapons officer and one of her best friends. She often tries to restrain her friend's belligerent and hot-tempered nature. Unfortunately she seldom succeeds. Toji Suzuhara and she got engaged during the story.
- Beta Couple: With Touji.
- Brainy Brunette: She is a brunette and a smart girl.
- Girlish Pigtails: She always wears her hair in pigtails.
- Love Interest: To Touji.
- Nice Girl: One of the calmer and kinder character in the series.
- Odd Friendship: Asuka and Hikari are good friends. Hikari is rational, calm, emotionally stable and understanding whereas Asuka is emotional, angry and rude.
- Tsundere: Mellower than Asuka, but you can clearly see it when she is with Toji.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: She knows how neutralize an AT-Field (acronym for anti-targeting field). It does not sound very impressive until you realize the Evas depend a lot on scrambling enemy's targeting systems.
Rei's weapons officer. He is big, rude and burly. Hikari's boyfriend and later fiancé.
- Beta Couple: With Hikari.
- The Big Guy: He is the biggest and most muscled of all pilots.
- Heteronormative Crusader: He's a downplayed example while he doesn't want there to be more gay people, he doesn't discriminate against Kaworu or Saburo.
- Kansai Regional Accent: In the original series Toji used Kansai's accent, so that he correspondingly uses a very thick American accent in this doujin in order to reflect that.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Asuka stated that before he and Hikari stated dating he once went to a brothel for an entire week.
- Love Interest: To Hikari.
- Those Two Guys: With Kensuke.
- Would Hit a Girl: He is perfectly willing to fight a woman. He nearly got into a fistfight with Asuka in chapter 17.
- Your Cheating Heart: During his bachelor party Touji got a lap dance from a stripper. Later he felt guilty and he confessed Hikari what he had done.
Kaworus weapons officer and ex-boyfriend.
When Saburo felt ignored by Kaworu, he broke off in a fit of jealousy. He regretted it afterwards and he has been unsuccessfully to get Kaworu back since.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When Rei Ayanami fell into a coma after a plane crash and his boyfriend Kaworu started to spend time watching over her, Saburo got jealous of the attention that Kaworu gave Rei-despite of Rei being comatose and female-, and broke up with him. He regretted it, but for that time Kaworu had moved, and Saburo got increasingly jealous of the close relationship between Kaworu and Rei, lashing out at Rei, berating Kaworu for spending time with her, and resorting to hare-brained stunts to attract his ex-boyfriend's attention.
- Creepy Crossdresser: A heroic example. He starts cross-dressing like part of a ridiculous and hopeless to get Kaworus attention back. However Kaworu finds it creepy and unsettling.
- Hopeless Suitor: He is constantly trying to get Kaworu back, but all what is he achieving is pushing Kaworu away him and towards Rei.
- It Meant Something to Me: After breaking up with Kaworu and trying to get him back Saburo started to wonder if Kaworu had been lying to him the whole time. However Kaworu had been just so committed.
- Meaningful Name: Named both for the WW2 Japanese carrier Hiryu and for legendary Japanese WW2 ace Saburo Sakai.
- Not Good with Rejection: Saburo broke up with Kaworu when he latter started paying more attention to Rei Ayanami. Later he regretted it, but for then Kaworu had moved on. Feeling unable to get over his feelings, Saburo started increasingly dumber and crazier schemes to win Kaworu back, and lashing out against his perceived rival, Rei.
- Original Character
- Romantic Runner-Up: Saburo was inmature, sometimes overbearing, a borderline stalker and he did many dumb things and hurt people as he tried and failed to get Kaworu back... but he was not a bad person. He was just unable to control his emotions and let the past go. He also thought he was protecting Kaworu of a heart-break by interfering between Rei and him. When he realized that was not the case he gave up.
- Stalker with a Crush: He is trying to get Kaworu back for all possible means. However his antics wore Kaworus patience down.
- Yandere: He broke up with Kaworu and repented later. However Kaworu does not want him back so he resorts to lash out against his perceived rival- Rei- and stalk Kaworu. He shows up in Kaworus house uninvited, he gets angry when Kaworu spends time with Rei He knows that it is wrong and he should step out of the way, but he doesn't know how to.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His hair is a very dark shade of indigo.
- All There in the Manual: Her profile with extra information.
- Ethical Slut: She is pretty kinky and she has got a threesome with her boyfriend and another man, but she has lines she will not cross, such as cheating.
- The Lad-ette: She likes playing rough sports, drinking and her sexual life is healthy.
- Lovely Angels: With Mari.
- Pink Heroine: Her pilot suit is pink.
- Sailor Earth: She joined the cast at the end of Part II.
- Tomboy: She likes many typically considered male-oriented hobbies.
- A Father to His Men: She insists on her subordinates calling her Misato, even at work. She ordered Asuka taking some time off so that she got her act together, and she gave her another chance when Asuka requested it. She personally drove Shinji to the hospital to see Asuka and later wanted him to stay with her while Asuka was in a coma Misato LOOKS after her troops.
- Ace Pilot: She does not pilot Evas but she is an experienced pilot.
- Benevolent Boss: She's stern, but she's also fair and cares about her subordinates.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is usually cheerful, nice and carefree but when she gets angry she gets SCARY.
- The Captain: She is the commanding officer of the "Evangelion" squad, and she leads them and chews them off when it is needed.
- Deadpan Snarker: When you are the leader of THIS madhous- squad, you HAVE to be. It is hard to keep your sanity otherwise.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: She is on the rebound of a difficult relationship.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She chugs alcohol like if it was tap water.
- Informed Ability: We do not see her actually flying, but according her profile she is an adept pilot of F-18.
- The Lad-ette: She is a slob who likes partying and drinking heavily.
- The Leader: Evangelions squad commanding officer.
- Trash of the Titans: Her house seems a war zone. There are all sorts of rubbish everywhere.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Ritsuko and she enjoy picking on each other.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She is purple-haired.
- Adaptational Heroism: He is still up to something, but he is supposedly- working for the greater good in lieu of wiping humankind out.
- Benevolent Boss: He actually looks reasonable compared with his canon counterpart.
- The Chessmaster: He is playing a very dangerous game, manipulating the USA Government against Seele.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: According to Ritsuko, he sent Shinji away to protect him presumably from Seele-. He has never explained his concrete motives to Shinji, though.
- Guile Hero: He uses his wit, knowledge and scheming skills to manipulate politicians.
- Manipulative Bastard: And he uses other peoples emotions and feelings to manipulate them.
- Married to the Job: He is completely dedicated to the Project Eva. He spends most of his time working, and the remainder time he devotes it to Ritsuko. Unsurprisingly he has no time left for his own son.
- Parents as People: He comes across to readers as a lousy father that has no idea of parenting, but he has not done to his son anything too objectionable so far.
- Shipper on Deck: The passive kind. As far as Shinjis relationship with Asuka doesnt interfere with his sons duties, he is willing to step aside and not interfere.
Ritsuko: The better question is: Are there any times when you don't hate your job?
- Deadpan Snarker: The best in the cast. She has mastered the art of dry sarcasm.
- Dumb Blonde: Averted. She is a good scientist.
- Married to the Job: She became Shinji's caretaker and kind of step-mother. However she was too busy with her job to raise him properly. As a result of it, Shinji barely saw her and he does not really like her.
- Parental Substitute: She raised Shinji for a while after his mothers death, but she was not a very good surrogate mother since she spent more time with Gendo than with Shinji.
- The Professor: She is Project Evangelion's head scientist and she is also responsible for crew assignments.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Misato.
- Wicked Stepmother: Subverted. Shinji has said that he is not fond of her for several reasons, but he has never told or implied that she abused him.
Dr. Elenore Baker
- Brainy Brunette: Brown-haired and a medician.
- The Medic: Head physician from the Base.
- Woman in White: She is always seen wearing a white lab coat.
Senator Ernest Hardek
Secret society that has been manipulating world politics for centuries, consistently supporting the political or military underdog. During the American Revolution they helped the colonies to fight the powerful British Empire. During XX century, though, and especially after the end of Cold War they have been trying to put an end to the position of USA like global super-power.
- Ancient Conspiracy: They have been manipulating the world's nations for centuries.
- Balance of Power: Their interest is in maintaining this, so that no one nation becomes too powerful. However, when the USSR collapsed and ended the Cold War, leaving the United States as the world's lone superpower, they were left scrambling to find someone else to fill the vacuum. Currently they're backing North Korea in an attempt to trigger a nuclear war.
- Big Bad: From the series.
- The Heavy: Much like Morgoth or Sauron in The Lord of the Rings, they dont appear physically, but their threat is omnipresent and their actions drive the whole plot.
- The Plan: Their plan to nuke the USA sets off and drives the plot.
- Underdogs Never Lose: Their mentality, they help out the underdog of various wars in the past. This has both helped and hurt the USA.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: They want to nuke a whole country because they think Americas worldwide influence is negative.