Set during the early 20th century, a riverboat captain named Frank (Dwayne Johnson) takes Lily Houghton (Emily Blunt), a scientist, and her brother McGregor (Jack Whitehall) on a mission into a jungle to find the Tree of Life, which is believed to possess healing powers. All the while, the trio must fight against dangerous wild animals and a competing German expedition.
Jungle Cruise contains examples of:
- Inevitable Waterfall: Frank and Lily's boat heads towards a waterfall at one point in the trailer.
- Mythology Gag: The "dangers" of Frank's boat trips for tourists seen in the trailer are as fake as a theme park ride, with the movie itself being based on one.
- Dr. Albert Falls is alluded to in the trailer through a collection label indicating he's the one who found the mysterious arrowhead.
- Only in It for the Money: In the trailer, Frank only reacts to Lily's demand for a river trip when she starts talking about her wealth.
- The Savage Indian: Subverted in the trailer. At one point, jungle natives start shooting darts at Frank's boat, which is full of tourists. Frank sends them a disapproving / "It's enough, now go!" look and they go away, meaning they're just in cahoots with him to provide safe thrills to the tourists.