Then there's always the chance for one last profanity.
It can be a curse to your killer (which, depending on the work, will eventually strike him/her), or simply a dear old last F bomb before you go, caused by despair, rage, fear, or whatever else. If the dying character is prone to Cluster F-Bomb, then this is a must, but it doesn't stop well-mannered gentlemen from having one last Precision F-Strike before they go. Frequently used in a showcase of Defiant to the End, but not always; this can also happen after a Villainous Breakdown or any other kind of breakdown.
Related to See You in Hell; the trope can be used as this when used by a dying person. May involve Curse Cut Short due to being Killed Mid-Sentence. Being a Death Trope, there could be some unmarked spoilers ahead, so be careful. Compare Dying Curse when the curse words are actually a Curse rather than profanity. Compare also Dying Declaration of Hate.
- The quite vulgar Hidan from Naruto. After being blown to pieces by Shikamaru, his still-insulting head is Buried Alive while throwing a flow of insults at his opponent.
- In Genzo, Kurojishi use his last words before exploding to smithereens to curse Genzo. Loudly.
- Cirucci Sanderwicci from Bleach, when the Exequias come to take her away after losing to Ishida. In the fourth movie, Kokuto screams a loud "Kusooo" (Shit) as he's being dragged deeper into the pits of hell.
- Preacher. Herr Starr's last words, on having most of his head blown off: "Shit."
- As Cure Hendrix in Pretty Cure Heavy Metal dies after being shot in the chest by one of Lady Marilyn's Mooks, she gives these parting words to Cure Nirvana (while also referencing The End of Evangelion in her parting words):
Cure Hendrix: So fucking what if I'm not you!? That doesn't give you the right to moan about your situation! Now go, and do me proud!
- The Big Bad from The Professional. Also count as an Oh, Crap! moment.
- The Heat:
Mullins: Guess you and her are engaged now, huh?
Ashburn: Well, 'cause... you just gave me a ring, motherFUCKER!
Mook: Aw, shit.
- Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, The Dragon's car crashes and explodes, the wreckage stirs, The Dragon raises his middle finger.
- In The Core, when Zimsky is stuck with the nuke, talking into his recorder, he wonders aloud what the fuck he's doing just before his death.
- Two examples in The Magnificent Seven. After a group of young Mexican villagers say Bernardo's name as he dies from his wounds, he responds by saying, "That's damn right." The first casualty out of the Seven, Harry Luck, has this to say as he himself dies:
Harry Luck: Well... I'll be damned. [dies]Chris Adams: Maybe you won't be.
- On Dog Soldiers, one of the SAS troopers (which is about to be eaten by the werewolves that are attacking them) only has this to say:
- John Wick:
- After Viggo is fatally wounded in their final confrontation and John is about to apply a Coup de Grâce, Viggo mutters out a Russian term roughly translated as "fuck your mother!" as his last words.
- Viggo's son Iosef, the reason John is going through his Roaring Rampage of Revenge (he killed Wick's dog, you see), only manages to blurt out an "It was just a fucking-!" before John puts one through his skull. Too Dumb to Live to the end.
- Both heads of the Yakavetta mob from The Boondock Saints say "Vaffanculo" (Italian for "Fuck you") as their last words before the brothers execute them.
- Planet of the Apes (2001). As General Thade's father is dying Thade promises him he'll capture the human rebel. Thade's father's last words: "Damn them...damn them all to hell." Doubles as a Mythology Gag since Thade's father is played by Charlton Heston.
- The Avengers (1998). Bailey is both The Voiceless and The Dragon. Just before his Disney Villain Death he says "Oh fuck", his first (and last) words in the movie.
- A near identical situation happens with The Dragon in the James Bond film Spectre.
- The theatrical ending to Little Shop of Horrors has Audrey II say "Oh...SHIT!" just before it explodes.
- A similar example is found in Freaked, where Toad, the Big Bad's right-hand (toad)man, is silent for the whole movie but lets out a disappointed "Shiiiiiiiiiit." when the heroes blow him up by putting a lit dynamite stick on his prehensile tongue.
- In Strange Days this is lampshaded when the villain points out to Lenny that in fatal air plane crashes the pilot's last words 90% of the time are some variant of "Oh Shit!" just as he's about to shoot Lenny.
- The Mice in the film adaptation The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, after Arthur gets free of his restraints, manage to utter, "Oh, boll-"
- Dracula: Dead and Loving It: Dracula has escaped the vampire hunters, and is hiding in the rafters when Renfield throws open a trapdoor in the roof so his Master can escape. Only one problem: it was daylight. And there was nothing to block full sun from hitting Drac, either.
Dracula: screams in pain Renfield, you asshole!
- In the TV-movie Ebenezer, a Wild West adaptation of A Christmas Carol, Scrooge's Catchphrase has been changed from "Bah! Humbug" to "Hogwash" in keeping with the setting. In this version of the story, the Spirit of Christmas Yet To Come shows Ebenezer his final moments, a shootout with a youth whose family he had cheated. After being shot, the future Scrooge's last utterance is "Hogwash". The present version, watching, seems more upset by his choice of final words than the nature of his demise.
- At the end of The Departed, The Dragon, Mr. French, ends up being shot, suffering further injuries in a car crash, and certain to be arrested and prosecuted for a laundry list of offences if he survives. He mutters a defeated "fuck it", and shoots himself in the mouth.
- Deconstructed (as a method of being Defiant to the End) on The Devil's Rejects. As Otis Firefly tells his victim Adam before he kills him, telling him to go fuck himself doesn't makes Adam any more of a badass nor any less of a victim, and it surely doesn't scares Oris (if anything, he ends up deciding to give Adam a more brutal death that he had planned originally, and Adam's true "final words" end up being some disturbingly agonized shrieking).
- Gideon's last words after being defeated by Scott in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World:
- Django Unchained: Before Stephen gets blown up along with Candyland, he spends his last minutes cursing at Django that he will be caught and killed for his crimes, ending with "Django! You uppity son of a—" before the explosion cuts him off.
- Speed: Discussed by Howard Payne when he takes Harry hostage at the beginning and Harry tells him "fuck you". Payne laments that it's become a regular way to show defiance, seeing it as a devolution of American culture.
- From Breaker Morant during the execution in the final scenes: "Shoot straight, ya bastards. Don't make a mess of it!"
- Transformers: After Frenzy accidentally rips half of his head off with one of his own shuriken, he mutters out "Oh, shi-!" before dropping dead.
- Moby-Dick. Captain Ahab's last words:
"from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."
- The angel Aziraphale, in Gaiman and Pratchett's novel Good Omens, faces bodily disincoporation (not death, though) with a muttered and furious "Oh Fuck!" Notable because he spent the entirety of the rest of the novel deliberately avoiding profanity.
- In the novel Expendable by James Alan Gardner, members of the Explorer Corp call dying in the line of duty "going oh shit", because the last words of an Explorer who is about to die is almost always some sort of profanity.
- Lorien Legacies: Number One, being a Lady Swearsalot, promptly yells "FUCK!" when she realizes that aliens are appearing in Mongolia, wielding a glowing space sword and then gets killed.
- At the end of The Fall Of Hyperion, when the Portal Network is destroyed, one rich woman is stuck on a skyscraper a few kilometers high. When she (misunderstanding the instructions of the people attempting to rescue her) turns off the force field windows, she gets blown out. The fall took four minutes, and the rescuers claimed she followed the trope all the way through.
- Doctor Syn ("The Scarecrow"): We're not told exactly what words Black Nick Tappitt used on the scaffold, but they were certainly profane.
- In Our Dumb Century, fugitive president Richard Nixon repeatedly yells "Fuckers!" at the FBI Agents who gun him down in a firefight in front of a Yuma, Arizona motel while denying all wrongdoing in the Watergate affair for which he was arrested and jailed.
- A Song of Ice and Fire. Tyrion Lannister ponders this trope while awaiting execution. Despite being The Snark Knight, he can't think of anything except "Bugger you all", which he decides won't earn him much fame in the history books.
- Dead Like Me. George gets out a last "Oh Shit" before being vaporized from a space toilet that didn't quite get the memo on where and when to re-enter the atmosphere.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- One episode of Nash Bridges has the Villain of the Week hire assassins to kill Nash. One of them is a bomber who plants a bomb in the car Nash is borrowing. Unfortunately (for the bomber), he accidentally sets it off. His last words: "Oh sh..!"
- In the final episode of Battlestar Galactica (2003), the Big Bad John Cavill, on suffering a serious reverse, blurts out "Oh, frack!" and shoots himself through the mouth.
- Discussed in Game of Thrones when Sandor Clegane kills a bunch of ruffians that have murdered his friends, when he asks the last survivor where are the others, he tells "Fuck you" to Sandor, who rethorically asks "Are these really your last words? 'Fuck you'?". The ruffian than calls him "cunt" and an exasperated Sandor says he is "really shit at dying" before finishing him off. In fairness Clegane had just axed him in the groin, so he was in too much pain for eloquence.
- Subverted in Orphan Black, where Siobhan gasps "Shite" in shock after Ferdinand shoots her in the chest, but survives long enough for a few more sentences.
- Doctor Who combines this with Curse Cut Short in World War Three. The Slitheen leader only gets out his first syllable "bol-" before exploding.
- Count Batula in Conker's Bad Fur Day lets out a "Shit" while falling in his own meat grinder.
- In Styx: Master of Shadows, if you accidentally cause Styx to fall to his death, one of the things he can yell while falling is "FUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU!".
- If you don't do a certain side mission in Mass Effect 3, the Dark Action Girl Jack, one of your squadmates from part two, is captured by Cerberus, tortured, and has her personality effectively erased to convert her into a Phantom. You later discover a video log of her final hours (as herself), showing her dropping F-bombs all the way.
- Subverted in StarCraft: Brood War. What Vadm. Alexei Stukov meant as his last words to his killer Samir Duran, "To Hell with you!" ended up not being such: he lingered on for about a minute, long enough to reveal to the UED that Duran had been working with the Zerg the whole time.
- In StarCraft II, Terran Marines sometimes yell "Motherf--" when they're killed.
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: If Rocket Raccoon is defeated, he'll shout this:
I'LL KILL YOU, YOU SON OF A—!
- In Rogue Legacy, if your character has the Coprolalia trait, if they die, they let out a long string of Symbol Swearing.
- Angel's last words in Borderlands 2 were "Dad...I have something to tell you. You're an asshole." Notable in that this is the only time she ever curses, seemingly taught not to curse by her father, making this double as Calling the Old Man Out.
- Played Straight initially but then Subverted later in the prologue of Fire Emblem Awakening. When defeated by Chrom and The Avatar/Robin, Validar shouts: "This isn't over..DAMN YOU BOTH!". Its subverted because later when you get to the actual level, he's revealed to survived the attack and afterwards is fought for real. When he is finally beaten, he expresses surprise at fate being averted.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories: During the final mission, Diego Mendez tells Martinez "Vete a la mierda", which literally means in Spanish "go to the shit". Since Victor kills both of them immediately afterwards without a chance to say anything else, those end up being Mendez's last words.
- In the Apple Macintosh Galaxian clone Solarian, the default "PG-13" Game Over sound is a voice saying, "Damn!" The options offer several alternatives for this.
- Homestuck. The Sufferer's last word, uttered during his execution, is known as the Vast Expletive.
- In Community Channel, Natalie muses that despite most characters having dramatic secrets to reveal (e.g. "Agatha's not dead...!), her last words would mostly likely be something like "....fucking....... hurts..."
- Deconstructed in EverymanHybrid. When HABIT kidnaps Jeff in order to torture him to death, all Jeff can do before the torture begins is to tell HABIT is to go fuck himself. His response?
HABIT: Fuck you, fuck you. Do you even know "why" you said that? No, no idea? Was it anger? Was it trying to get footing, trying to get leverage in this situation, trying to make me think? See, I've interrogated a lot of people, I've hurt lots of people, tortured a lot of people, I've done lots of terrible fucking things to people. I've had thousands of people, millions, billions across my tables. And you'd be surprised how many do that. One time, I had a guy's legs off, right? Hanging in front of him, and I was making them dance. And he said "Fuck you." He said "Go to Hell, and fuck you." You know why? 'Cause he felt "Got him! There's one punch I can throw, and that's it, a spit in the eye, a curse to the Heavens! Fuck that little bitch!" You know how little it matters? The last curses, the last desperate calls, an insult to me? When a pig squeals before it's slaughtered, do the butchers care? No. Some of them even relish. So thanks.
- The series of "WTF BOOM!!" videos in YouTube depicts someone screaming "what the fuck" before a big explosion occurs (and the sound of Evil Laugh in the background).
- The Simpsons, "Treehouse of Horror XV": There is a button in the nuclear power plant that can blow up the entire city. Ned Flanders shoots Homer to stop him from pressing the button but Homer ends up dying next to the button...only for his tongue to end up pressing it.
Ned: Oh, you stupid, son of a-
- At the end of the second Star Wars special for Robot Chicken, which "chronicles" Emperor Palpatine's life, he falls through the second Death Star's vents, gets hit by the Millennium Falcon, and is left naked in space while the Death Star is destroyed. Before the explosion takes him out, he gathers strength to do this:
Palpatine: Anyway, if you've stuck around this long, you'd probably want some final words of wisdom, so listen close:
(Palpatine turns around, flipping the audience, while the Death Star explodes behind him and Also Sprach Zarathustra plays in the background)
Palpatine: F(bleep)K YOOOOOU
- According to the officer that arrived to the scene of Tupac Shakur's drive-by shooting, his last words were "fuck you" (to the cop).
- Cozy Powell was apparently speaking to his girlfriend on his cellphone when he uttered "Oh shit!" before losing control and crashing his Saab 9000 going 104 MPH without a seat belt.
- George V of Britain made public last words of "The King's life is moving peacefully towards its close." Instead, his nurse administered a sedative, making his actual last words, "God damn you!"
- Roald Dahl, children's book writer had something akin to that happen. In a hospital, surrounded by family, Dahl reassured everyone, sweetly, that he wasn't afraid of death. It's just that I will miss you all so much, he saidthe perfect final words. Then, as everyone sat quietly around him, a nurse pricked him with a needle, and he said his actual last words: Ow, fuck!".
- One legend has it that when the last square of Napoleon's Old Guard were surrounded at Waterloo, they were invited to surrender rather than be annihilated, but their commander, the tough career soldier General Count Etienne Cambronne, shouted back, "La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!" - "The Guard dies, it does not surrender!". However, the alternative legend says that he actual shouted "Merde!" - "Shit!", about as vulgar as "Fuck Off!" in modern terms.
A third version says that he was actually captured, more or less accidentally, before the guard were finally crushed. And in any case, the heroism of the story is a bit diminished by the fact that Cambronne certainly survived the battle, albeit wounded. Still, "merde" is sometimes euphemistically known as "the word of Cambronne" in France.
- Transcripts of airplane black box recordings have plenty of these; here. NOTE: Some people may find these disturbing!
- Before being executed, John Wayne Gacy nonchalantly told his executioners "Kiss my ass".
- The last words before being hanged of serial killer Carl Panzram, one of the biggest Card Carrying Villains in real-world history, were allegedly "Hurry it up, you Hoosier bastard! I could kill a dozen men while you're screwing around!".
- Alexander Griboyedov, Russian diplomat to Persia in 1829, was murdered by an angry mob when rising tensions between Russia and Persia exploded. His last words were allegedly "Fuck it! Fuck it" in French no less due to Russian nobles speaking this language, since native Russian was considered too barbaric.