The Dana Carvey Show ran for eight episodes, seven of which originally aired on ABC in 1996. The short-lived sketch comedy helped launch the careers of Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert, while also introducing television audiences to The Ambiguously Gay Duo, which would later achieve fame on Saturday Night Live.
The TV Tropes Dana Carvey Show would like to present "trope examples":
- Crossover: "We now rejoin the one man show Mark Twain Tonight, as performed by STOMP, already in progress."
- Deteriorates Into Gibberish: This happens in a sketch of a The Tonight Show interview between Jay Leno and Quentin Tarantino.
- The Eponymous Show
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Many of the sketch titles. "Germans Who Say Nice Things" and "Waiters Who Are Nauseated by Food" come to mind.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: David Brinkley on a roller coaster
- Laughing at Your Own Jokes: Carvey and Carell often play pranksters who pay people for service, then quickly run/drive away before being served. Cut to them laughing their heads off.
- No Indoor Voice: The Germans who Say Nice ThingsOne German: "OUR FRIENDSHIP IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME!"Another German: "LET'S ALL PILE INTO THE MINIVAN AND GO GET SOME FROZEN YOGURT!"
- Product Placement: Every Episode had a new title sponsor, getting more esoteric as the ratings fell to the point a local restaurant was apart of the name of the show.
- Refuge in Audacity: The very first episode opens with a skit of then-president Bill Clinton (played by Carvey) breastfeeding, and it just gets crazier from there.
- Special Guest: Phil Hartman in Episode 3, Jan Hooks in Episode 4.
- This Just In!: One sketch has Carvey as Tom Brokaw rehearse for a news promo in case Gerald Ford dies. Since this episode didn't air, it was recycled for when Carvey hosted SNL.Carvey: Gerald Ford is dead today and I'm gay.
- Trope Co. Trope of the Week: The first five episodes all had Pepsi subsidiaries within the show's title. (i.e. Taco Bell for Episode 1, Mug Root Beer for Episode 2, Mountain Dew Episode 3, Diet Mug Root Beer Episode 4, Pepsi Stuff Episode 5) Plus a local chinese restaurant for Episode 6.