A news anchor is in the midst of some dull story when they're handed a stack of papers from off-screen. They immediately turn their attention to this new story, often beginning with the Stock Phrase: "This Just In..."
Sometimes seen as "Breaking News" on twenty-four hour news networks. Older programs might use "We Interrupt This Program..." or "This was just handed to me...".
This just in: Examples!
- The Brave Little Toaster: "Uh, this just in: Rooney's Vacuums are found out be um, carcinogenic in these lab tests. Big, big tumors on those rats! I've got photos to prove it (shows a photograph of a partially-naked woman), and I don't even wanna look at them! (groans)"]]
- The Kentucky Fried Movie: "This Just In: The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Story at eleven."
- Said in Batman (1989) when the Joker's tainted products come to light (just before the female reporter signs off).
- In Bruce Almighty, Bruce's debut night as a news anchor comes to a crashing halt when he sees a video feed of angry mobsters attacking the Lottery Commission, as he's the one who answered their prayers to win the lottery. "This just in..." Before he promptly turns it over to his co-anchor and leaves the set.
- Mr. Deeds, when a media empire is being dismantled: "Sources indicate that virtually all of Blake's employees are likely to lose their jobs. Wait a minute. I'm a Blake employee!"
- Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy: "I have just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you to stop what you're doing and listen. Cannonball!" [dives into pool]
- In Independence Day, following the failed counter-attack by the Black-Knight fighter squadron over the ruins of Los Angeles, and the destruction their home base MACAS El Toro, we hear this newscast in the middle of the refugee convoy:
Radio Newscaster: Reports are coming in that this battle has repeated itself all over the globe, with the exact same results.
- Played for drama following Reese an Sarah's escape from the police station shootout in The Terminator:
Radio Newscaster: Top story - the largest single law enforcement mobilization in California history is currently underway. Police in five counties are engaged in a massive manhunt for...
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? brings us this line in almost all the Weird Newscasters segments.
- The first episode of Dinosaurs opened with this news report: "A meteor, three times the size of Earth, is heading towards us in a collision course that will result in the extinction of all life on this planet. This just in: No, it's not."
- Once on The Day Today, Chris would repeatedly interrupt Alan's sports news segment with breaking reports about John Major having punched The Queen.
- Parodied on Saturday Night Live in the early days, as Chevy Chase would often announce on the Weekend Update segment "This just in: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."
- Parodied on The Muppet Show when the Muppet Newsman was often injured by the stories he was reporting (while sitting behind a newsdesk).
- Leverage, "The Three Days of the Hunter Job": The news show is in the middle of the stock report when the mark, reporter Monica Hunter, bursts in and demands that they interrupt the broadcast so she can deliver an emergency bulletin. When she finds that her evidence is gone and starts raving about a government cover-up, the anchorwoman whose broadcast was interrupted turns to the camera and reports the breaking news that Monica Hunter has just had a nervous breakdown right there in the studio.
- Happens twice on Queer as Folk. The first time is during the mayoral election right at the end of season 3:
Newscaster: This Just In: With 84% of the votes counted, it appears we can now declare that the new mayor of Pittsburgh is... Marvin Deekins.
- The second time is in season 5, when Brian is on his way to the airport and there's a radio announcement about the bombing of Babylon (which he is the owner of at that point), prompting him to order the driver to turn around.
- Parodied on How I Met Your Mother when Marshall, trying to convince Lily not to tell the others that they're trying for a baby because of all the annoying attention they'll receive, treats her to an Imagine Spot of Robin (a news anchor) popping up on the TV with an emergency bulletin loudly announcing "This just in — is what Marshall Eriksen is saying to his wife as he attempts to impregnate her!" and directing a news chopper to circle the Eriksen's apartment and assault them with floodlights.
- On JAG, it happened at least twice on ZNN newscasts.
- On The West Wing, C.J. was sometimes handed an update in the middle of briefing the press. It was always bad news.
- News anchors of the week Pepper Fairbanks and Kip Darling can be heard having a "This just in" off on the radio in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time. It is, of course, Played for Laughs, and contains such gems as:
Kip: This just in, you can't use "This just in" liberally. Information needs to be new and vital to our listener's grasp of the full story!
Pepper: Well, in that case: This just in, you're a dried up know-it-all!
- LEGO Island plays with a variant of this trope.
'L.E.G.O. Radio Announcer: And this just handed to me — hey, it's my lunch!
- In Captain Novolin, the eponymous hero learns about the invasion of Blubberman and his aliens disguised as sugary junk food via one of these special reports... All while running on a treadmill for some reason.
- Fallout 4, begins in Boston on October 23rd, 2077 with the TV tuned to the news, which is reporting on some things going on in the Fallout world, like the war with China. Then the robotic butler calls you back to the living room where the anchor reports that a global nuclear exchange has begun, right before a "Please Stand By" message chillingly appears. This is a good time to RUN!.
News Anchor: Followed by blinding... yes, blinding flashes of light. We're trying to get confirmation now. We seem to have lost contact with our affiliate stations. Just coming in now, confirmed, repeat confirmed, reports of nuclear detonations in New York and Pennsylvania... My God.
- In Sonic Mania, the boss of Studiopolis Zone Act 2 is fought with a TV in the background. After the boss is defeated, the TV cuts to a breaking news report, showing that the Flying Battery has returned.
- In one Rocko's Modern Life short, after a TV news chopper crashes while covering a traffic jam, an anchorman is handed a piece of paper to report further traffic delays on the roads caused by a helicopter crash.
- In The Fairly OddParents, Chet Youbetcha uses this to the point of it being a Catchphrase.
- Handy's news report in The Smurfs episode "Handy's Window Vision" was interrupted by Gargamel lifting up the roof of his Smurf house to capture him, and he just had time enough to warn his viewers that Gargamel has invaded the village.
- In an episode of Back at the Barnyard, Otis disguises himself as a news reporter, and Mrs. Beady, seeing through his ruse, zaps him with a taser.
Otis: This just in — I'm in terrible pain! [passes out]
- A local news woman read from the teleprompter: "This just in--a Huntsville news anchor is about to be proposed to..."
- This example. Somehow, Justin Bieber getting arrested for DUI is more important than a story on the NSA collecting private phone records.
- This clip of a newscast from KJRH interrupts a local news broadcast about hot weather for a NBC Special Report on the Aurora shooting that happened during the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises.