The movie takes place in Darkest Africa where the evil Queen Bazonga plans to conquer the earth. Before she can do that, however, she wishes to have a full set of hair so people can take her seriously. Her two-headed assistant, The Charles Of The Pits, suggest a "scalp transplant". Bazonga demands the hair of June, the maid of Shame, ruler of the jungle and sends out her penis soldiers to kidnap her.
It only gets weirder from there.
The film was the first foreign-animated film to receive both an X rating and wide distribution in the United States. It was received negatively by both audiences and critics who compared it unfavourably to Fritz the Cat and these days has almost completely fallen into obscurity. It was released on DVD as Jungle Burger in the UK by Lace DVD in 2011. As of now, there are currently no plans to release it in North America.
Tarzoon: Shame of the Jungle provides examples of the following tropes:
- Bald Woman: Queen Bazonga. Her desire for a full head of hair is what kick starts the movie's plot.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: At one point June sleeps with Shame's monkey friend, Flicka.
- Captain Ersatz: In order to avoid being sued for plagiarism, the titular character was changed from "Tarzan" to "Tarzoon".
- Cannibal Tribe: The pygmies want to devour every human they meet.
- Damsel in Distress: June gets kidnapped early on and needs Shame to rescue her.
- Darkest Africa: Africa is portrayed as one big stereotype, with primitive (half) nude cannibalistic pygmies, white colonials on safari and omnipresent wild animals in every corner.
- Expy: Obviously of Tarzan of the Apes.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Bazonga is not a nice lady, to put it mildly.
- Great White Hunter: Professor Cedric, even though he is hardly the Mighty Whitey or Bold Explorer he thinks he is.
- Heroes Want Redheads: June, Shame's mate, is redheaded.
- Hungry Jungle: Characters are chased by hungry animals and cannibals all the time.
- Maniac Monkeys: Professor Cedric is Eaten Alive by them.
- Meaningful Name: Queen Bazonga. She has many breasts.
- Ms. Fanservice: June. She even shows off some full frontal nudity.
- Multiple Head Case: The Charles Of The Pits has two heads that argue with each other.
- My Country Tis of Thee That I Sting: Near the end of the movie a ceiling crashes down. It is shaped like Belgium and has a crack in the middle, which has the same outlinings as Belgium's language border. This is also a joke that nobody outside Belgium will get, unless they are aware of the shape of Belgium on geography maps.
- The Natives Are Restless: In one scene Tarzoon is on the run from hungry cannibals whom he can't shake off, no matter what he tries.
- Nature Hero: Subverted. Tarzoon is depicted as a complete embarrassing idiot who gets respect from nobody, not the African tribes, nor the animals, nor his wife.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: Tarzoon meets a snapping crocodile and barely survives.
- The Parody: This entire film is a parody of Tarzan (if you couldn't guess) and many 1930s jungle movies. This is also the reason why the estate of author Edgar Rice Burroughs lost their plagiarism accusation case in court. But the judge did order the film to change it's name from "Tarzan" to "Tarzoon". Johnny Weissmuller 's son took the film more humourously. He even voiced Tarzoon in the American dub.
- Recycled In Space: It's an animated version of Tarzan... mixed with sex jokes!
- Also, dick soldiers in the jungle ~ who may even look like nazis.
- Shout-Out: In one scene Tintin is shown educating black people, while holding a crucifix in his hand. When one of the black pygmies' attention is caught off guard by Tarzoon swinging by Tintin hits the kid over the head with it. This entire scene is a reference to the colonialism in the comic book Tintin Tintin In The Congo.
- Time Marches On: This film came out in the wake of several other animated sex comedies like Fritz the Cat and Down and Dirty Duck, when the shock value of nudity and sex jokes in animated cartoons was still fresh and new. Nowadays, in an era where adult animated shows are more common, Tarzoon may look rather tame, if not to say infantile.
- Vine Swing: Every time Tarzoon swings on a vine his Loin Cloth drops off and exposes his private parts.